Is my scale wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are times that I step on the scale at night after getting ready for bed just to see if I've gone up a pound or two from what I've consumed all day and for the past couple of weeks, the scale hasn't budged. I mean, sure, I'm not complaining and all, but could my scale be wrong? When I step off it, it goes back down to zero and isn't below or above the zero at all..... Weird.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you're eluding to but my weight can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day. I've noticed the same thing as you too but I've also noticed that it goes away after a BM. Sorry for TMI!
#3 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
bec

IMO, scales are only good for noticing longer term trends in weight. I would really not bother weighing more than once a day. Really, once a week, and look at the weights over the course of a month or two to get anything meaningful. And, even then, if you are near a healthy weight, you don't necessarily have any information that is useful. You could be working out hard for a month, lose 5 pounds of fat but gain 5 pounds of muscle. A net change of zero, but your dimensions will be different.

I have an unhealthy relationship with the scale, so tend to not want to use it much!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#4 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie80 View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're eluding to but my weight can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day. I've noticed the same thing as you too but I've also noticed that it goes away after a BM. Sorry for TMI!
I've just heard and read that you can gain a 1lb or 2lb during the day after all of the food that you've consumed. I don't weight myself daily - maybe twice a week. This was just out of pure curiousity.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Remember that a scale is very limited. What if you lost a bunch a fat while building muscle, but you gained a pound. And then you drank a half quart of water so you weighed a pound more? I would rather have the muscle and water than be lighter on the scale.
#6 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie80 View Post
Yup. My weight used to fluctuate up to 3-4 lbs a day. More at night of course and I'd weight the least in the AM, after a BM. Now I only fluctuate 2 lbs at most, I'm assuming because I have several BM's a day now instead of just one. Sorry if that's TMI. But seriously, output has a lot to do with your weight.

I try to only weigh myself in the AM because I would obsess otherwise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page