Weight Watchers--October 2010 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Or you can just stay on the plan you know that works for you.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Or you can just stay on the plan you know that works for you.
Except you can't stay on the old plan if they change the online tools and trackings system. And the meetings will teach stuff differently. I hope it is just a rumour but I doubt it, they do change it a lot.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Except you can't stay on the old plan if they change the online tools and trackings system. And the meetings will teach stuff differently. I hope it is just a rumour but I doubt it, they do change it a lot.
It is true that big changes are coming. Our leadr (and mostly from what I have read elsewhere on the internet groups and stuff) say that it will be the biggest changes since they rolled out the Points system back in 1999 or so. For me it boils down to this: Weight Watchers has a huge arsenol of drs, scientists, etc and they had focus groups and groups overseas who did this program (I think it is ProPoints or Points Plus) for years before they rolled it out here in the USA. They NEED and WANT it to be effective to keep their edge in the weight loss market. I read that Weight Watchers is projecting at least 20% growth with these new changes. They are also establishing new partnerships with Merck and Dr. Oz, interestingly enough. I am interested in how the plan looks when it is unveiled. You can find bits and pieces through sleuthing via google and using google translator. From what I (and many others) are guessing Points will be calculated using a new formula. Instead of calories + fat + fiber it will be a formula of 4 other nutrients, (protein, fat, fiber and carbs maybe...I don't know all the details so it is important to wait until the plan rolls out the week after Thanksgiving to see all the details). Fruits and veggies will be free. New point ranges which will be higher for most, but again, food points will be calculated differently. So some of your favorites may be higher and some may be lower. I am willing to give it a shot if it seems healthy. From what I have heard from the 'lifers' of weight watchers, each change gets better.

Mama to my tribe
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
It is true that big changes are coming. Our leadr (and mostly from what I have read elsewhere on the internet groups and stuff) say that it will be the biggest changes since they rolled out the Points system back in 1999 or so. For me it boils down to this: Weight Watchers has a huge arsenol of drs, scientists, etc and they had focus groups and groups overseas who did this program (I think it is ProPoints or Points Plus) for years before they rolled it out here in the USA. They NEED and WANT it to be effective to keep their edge in the weight loss market. I read that Weight Watchers is projecting at least 20% growth with these new changes. They are also establishing new partnerships with Merck and Dr. Oz, interestingly enough. I am interested in how the plan looks when it is unveiled. You can find bits and pieces through sleuthing via google and using google translator. From what I (and many others) are guessing Points will be calculated using a new formula. Instead of calories + fat + fiber it will be a formula of 4 other nutrients, (protein, fat, fiber and carbs maybe...I don't know all the details so it is important to wait until the plan rolls out the week after Thanksgiving to see all the details). Fruits and veggies will be free. New point ranges which will be higher for most, but again, food points will be calculated differently. So some of your favorites may be higher and some may be lower. I am willing to give it a shot if it seems healthy. From what I have heard from the 'lifers' of weight watchers, each change gets better.
Wow. That actually sounds really neat. I've always been bothered that points didn't take into account protein and carbs which do create different hormone responses in the body. The current system also leads to eating a sugary snack with little nutritional value over something a bit healthier with more protein and less sugar, just because the point calculation was less for the sugary snack.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
Wow. That actually sounds really neat. I've always been bothered that points didn't take into account protein and carbs which do create different hormone responses in the body. The current system also leads to eating a sugary snack with little nutritional value over something a bit healthier with more protein and less sugar, just because the point calculation was less for the sugary snack.
I agree

Mama to my tribe
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 PM

I had my first weigh-in today. After 1 week I have lost 3.6 lbs!!! Woo hooo!!! I am hoping to lose at least another 2 lbs by next week.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I had my first weigh-in today. After 1 week I have lost 3.6 lbs!!! Woo hooo!!! I am hoping to lose at least another 2 lbs by next week.
Way to go!! I know you will make the most of this initial momentum. Keep up the good work mama

Mama to my tribe
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Heavenly: Wow that's great! Are you doing exercise too?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
Heavenly: Wow that's great! Are you doing exercise too?
I didn't this week. I have fibro so it's hard, I have to be careful I don't overdo it. A friend and I decided tonight that we will do a beginner's aquafit class in a warm exercise pool (better for fibro) on tuesday and thursday mornings when my youngest is in kindergarten. So we'll start that next week. And now that my dog has his shots I will take him and my youngest on walks on days she is not in school. I have to be careful not to push too hard but I am determined to start some activity.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just wanted to post that I hit 10lbs of weight lost this week. After two rather dismal weeks (0 loss followed by .6lb loss), this week I lost 2.6lbs. I'm ecstatic. On top of that a pair of jeans I bought about a month ago that were slightly too tight now fit me perfectly.

Of course it's hard to feel super excited today, when my husband's been out of town since Wednesday and now I'm coming down with something (cold sore and chills/body ache), but at least being sick means I probably won't eat much.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 AM

Great Juniper!

I'm reporting in. After my first week of doing weight watchers I lost 2.8 lbs.
As far as the program, I didn't totally hate it. I didn't fall over either. I did get more hungry than normal before meals. I don't do any of the sugar free fat free stuff though. My biggest change is portion sizes and measuring....especially things like butter and mayo.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:06 PM

Congrats to all those loosing! I so rarely make it here during work hours, and my kids have been extra needy while I'm home. I am so glad I stopped by as some new faces have come in since I started WW last May and posted here.

The explanation above of the new plan is completely in line with what I've sluethed out or been told by my leader (not directly, but by her not answering with a no...she is under strict orders not to tell). I was SO scared of change when they first mentioned it, but now I am excited! She says it is so much easier, and that she is a lot more full than she used to be because it stresses eating good filling foods, whose points are lower now than before. Also, I hear we will all get more points, so mentally that should help me stay on board!! I love more points!!

I will try to get back by more often. I've lost 61.4 lbs on program since May. I have also started running and will hopefully finish my first 5K on Thanksgiving Day!

To those nursing moms. Know that a system cannot account for your personal childs nursing patterns. You may need to add more points to make sure you are not raveshing hungry and that you keep making enough milk. Expirement and add a point or 2 back until you comfortable. Are you eating your weekly points?? If not, you might want to try eating more of those in the week. You can do it, but you need to personalize it to your needs!

Keep up the hard work!!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow gals, the new system sounds like it's going to be pretty good! I'm all for feeling more satisfied after eating!

I'm in a bad place right now emotionally due to the weather change, and until I feel stable and strong again, I'm not doing a great job keeping on track. I have incorporated some things into my life (low fat milk, much more veggies, fruit).

Congratulations to all who are trekking along doing a great job!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM

I didnt see a November Weight Watchers thread....

I found this link on the new plan for the UK. It sounds very similar to what will be released in the United States but I know there often subtle differences so it will be interesting to see what will be the same and what will be different.

http://www.weightwatchersmediacentre.co.uk/PDF/Weight%20Watchers%20Press%20Pack.pdf

I also was intrigued to read this from overseas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1326447/Weight-Watchers-Pro-Points-plan-A-new-approach-dieting-success.html?ITO=1490

I am so excited about the new plan!

Mama to my tribe
Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post

I didnt see a November Weight Watchers thread....

I found this link on the new plan for the UK. It sounds very similar to what will be released in the United States but I know there often subtle differences so it will be interesting to see what will be the same and what will be different.

http://www.weightwatchersmediacentre.co.uk/PDF/Weight%20Watchers%20Press%20Pack.pdf

I also was intrigued to read this from overseas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1326447/Weight-Watchers-Pro-Points-plan-A-new-approach-dieting-success.html?ITO=1490

I am so excited about the new plan!

Thanks for posting this. It looks interesting.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

User Tag List