Weight Watchers--October 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here's the new thread.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 45 Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Sunday!

In two and a half weeks I have my lifetime weigh in!

I've been running a lot recently, pushing my ds in the stroller on a 3.6 mile look around my town. I know as the weather turns rainy here in the winter, running won't be much of an option anymore. I plan on doing some exercise DVD on bad weather winter days. What are everyone else's winter exercise plans?

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#3 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I have a points question. I make my own plain whole milk organic yogurt, that would be 4 pts/cup, (just like milk) right? I had some for lunch today & I just wanted to be sure! Thanks!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#4 of 45 Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everyone. We just got back from my SIL's wedding. I'm scared to step on the scale because I did not count points while I was away. We were gone from Thursday night until Sunday night. Now that we're home I'm trying to stick to my daily points without stepping into my weekly points at all. I may skip my weigh in all together though this week. Maybe I'll try to exercise more today as well...

okay just stepped on my bathroom scale and it says I'm down at least .8 lbs since last wednesday. Wow! Maybe all that dancing on Saturday night counteracted the calories I indulged in.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#5 of 45 Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM

i'll join in.

just started weight watchers online about 2 weeks ago. i've done it before to the tune of 25 pounds or so but working towards 40-45 this time.

these first few weeks have been a big adjustment. felt tired/hungry A LOT. but just in the past few days i'm starting to get some energy happening.

haven't added the exercise piece yet. i know that will help.

i don't have a scale so i guessed my starting weight. had a chance to weigh in after the first week, down 3 pounds from my estimated starting weight. would love to weigh in this week, but my membership to the rec center lapsed and i'm having a small cash flow problem, so no rec center just yet.

not having a scale is a mixed blessing. would love to see my progress in numbers (i can feel it working, so that helps) but i also feel like not having a scale and the gratification of looking at the numbers reminds me that this is not a quick fix...this is an overhaul in terms of my relationship to food and how i do or don't take care of myself.

feeling patient and grateful to be confronting this issue. it has caused a lot of misery, especially over the last year.

CHEERS! hoping you're feeling good weight watcher mamas!
#6 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Mamas, I have used Weight Watchers in the past and lost 30 lbs after dd2 was born. I now am almost 3 mos. postpartum with my third baby, and I need to lose 35-40 lbs.

I'm trying to find my old books and stuff, but my kids have played with the booklets and I can only find a few things. I'm trying to piece together a plan by searching for info online - trying not to spend money right now going to meetings, etc. although I know they're really helpful in the beginning (for me anyway).

I've been in a WW thread before and found it motivating and supportive. Hoping to join you Mamas, to give and receive encouragement!

I'm just having difficulty right now finding adequate free info online about points or servings to add when breastfeeding. I like the Core Plan (no time to fiddle around calculating points all day with 3 kids to take care of)... just can't remember how many/what to add. I loved those little notebook thingies they gave us too at the meetings to keep track of what we've eaten in a week. I found it really helpful to just tick off a little box throughout the day when I've eaten or had drunk water. It helped keep an eye on was left in a day if I needed a snack or something.

choochymama - I don't have a scale either and agree that it's a mixed blessing.

Be well, all!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#7 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 AM

Hi Surfacing! I think it is awesome you are so motivated just 3 months postpartum. It took me a year and a half after my son was born to join. I wish I had done it sooner.

I totally understand the money issue. Our budget is so tight, it's scary. I have my lifetime weigh in in a week and a half...and I can't wait to start saving the money!

Once I forgot to get one of those tracker books at my meeting, so I went online and googled it. I found a template for the book that some WW had created, and printed off a ton, stapled them together and made my own tracker. I don't think I have the bookmark anymore, but I'll dig around.

#8 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks Mama_y_sol - hey, weren't we in the same ddc together? (Jan 2008) How is your little one now? It's so awesome that you are doing a lot of stroller running. That's great!

In the end I joined Weightwatchers Online last night. I was clicking around trying to find free stuff and then just decided to bite the bullet. I don't have time for trying to figure out everything and find everything for free. My brain is so fried with exhaustion! The online tracker is so convenient. So far so good! I joined on Friday and wrote an honest accounting of my day. I am doing Core (or whatever it's called now) so I used up my entire 35 weekly allowance on that one day!!! That was instructive!

Seems kind of silly to join on the Thanksgiving long weekend (it's thanksgiving here in Canada on Monday)... but oh well! I am going to be real about it, but eat wisely.

I had gone to a belly dance class with my sister this week and it was a real eye opener -- all that extra flesh jiggles a lot when dancing and it's hard to move! I danced forever before I had kids and was never overweight until I had kids. It's hard to do shoulder shimmies with these big ole boobs, but I guess that control will come when I get more upper body strength. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Coochymama - I kwym about feeling tired and hungry a lot in the beginning until you get things worked out. It's great when you figure out the balance and right combination of foods to help you feel satisfied.

Junipermuse -

CookiePie - did you get your answer? I just checked online and yes, 1 cup of whole yogurt is 4 points.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks Surfacing, that's what I thought!

I've been losing about 1 pound a week for the last 3 weeks. I've done this many, many times. It works, I just don't know why I have to keep repeating history?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#10 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM

I have a question for you all. Does anyone notice differences in their weight loss based on where they are in their monthly cycle?

I noticed last time I had my period at the weigh-in immediately afteward, I had my smallest weight loss, and now this month it seems similar. In fact my period started on Thursday and I haven't lost any weight at all and my weigh-in is only two days away. I'm wondering if this is just a normal pattern in my cycle and perhaps I should just expect it every month rather than feel bad that I'm not working hard enough or need to buckle down more you know?

#11 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
I have a question for you all. Does anyone notice differences in their weight loss based on where they are in their monthly cycle?
when I was losing my weight, I generally gained one week per month and lost the other 3 weeks. Pretty much every month, no matter what I did.

I've got to get back on track!!! My DD broke her arm and needed surgery to repair it, and it's been pretty much a nightmare. Meals have been totally screwed up, I haven't worked out in ages, and all my clothes are too tight!

We were just barely starting to get back to normal, and my other child has strep. I haven't been to a meeting in like a month and I've no idea what I weigh (but it sure isn't my goal weight!)

I will get back to my goal weight!! I know I can.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#12 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Linda that's a lot of stress. Your poor kids! I hope they both feel better soon. I totally hear you on regressing to old habits when the stress is too high or life is too busy. Sometimes it's just about survival.

#13 of 45 Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Ever since I was pregnant with my son, I now have a rash from things I never used to be allergic to. When I was PG with him, I would get a rash from certain breads (grains), as well as PB and Nutella. Now that he's 3 mos. old, I did not expect this to continue! I am getting a rash ever since I've been eating oatmeal and wheat puffs.

Has anyone else had this happen? Developing a rash/allergy later in life to grains after having kids??? Weird.

How is everyone doing?

#14 of 45 Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear about the rash issue, Surfacing. I kind of wish nutella gave me a rash- if there are pretzels in our house, they call me to dunk them into nutella. it's bad.

I'm a little off track- up about a pound or two. I just haven't been that careful with portions, combined with fighting off a cold. WI is tomorrow, so I'll see what happens then. I am really hoping to get a good long run in tomorrow morning.

#15 of 45 Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM

well, i'm down 9 pounds since starting. i think i'm just around 5 weeks into it. just trying to be patient.

one problem that's becoming more obvious is how my husband is/isn't supporting me in this journey. he wants to lose weight too but shows no willingness to change his eating habits. he believes he can just work out hard and it will come off (his method has not worked in the almost 9 years we've been together).

i've done ww 2x before while with him. i lose weight. he does not. he works at night and i do fine on those nights but when he's off it's NUTS. no wonder we're both overweight!

i decided to track my points this week knowing i was going way over. i am at -60 for the week?? seriously. that's me having used my extra weekly points, going down a point per day for having lost 9 pounds, etc. he had three nights off this week.

i'm proud that i'm tracking even though i'm going way over. -60 is like 2.5 days of extra food?

honestly, i'm a little depressed about it today and am thinking the only solution is preparing my own meals separate from him. no more wine. i don't enjoy it anyway lately. it just puzzles me that he has no interest/desire to change his eating habits and in some ways i feel like he wants to bring me down with him.

he would deny this but his behavior says otherwise. this troubles me in terms of my ability to lose the weight and keep it off.

ughh.

other than that...being on the plan helps me feel like i'm gaining a degree of control over a space that gets way out of control quickly.
#16 of 45 Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM

choochymama - Get healthy for yourself and take responsibility for your own choices and you'll be successful. I know it can be hard when someone else is eating whatever they want but deep down I realize it is a cop out. Stay on points and get healthy for you. Don't worry about him at all. My DH keeps saying he wants to lose weight too but I have given up on having anything to do with it.

Hello all, I am new to this thread. Just joined a WW meeting last night, diet started today. I have done it multiple times before but mostly by myself so I am hoping the meetings will help. I also usually waste all my points on non-filling stuff so I am trying to focus on the filling foods so I don't feel starving all the time. So far today I have had a 1 point WW bar, a smoothie made with the WW smoothie mix and one medium banana (only 2.5 points total!), a large salad with 1 tablespoon calorie-wise dressing, a lean cuisine meal, 30 pretzels, 2 points of cheese and 3 baby dills. I am slightly hungry but I know it's in my mind because that is a lot of food! lol

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#17 of 45 Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi Ladies, I hope it's okay for me to drop in. I was thinking about going to weight watchers, but I'm just wondering how practical the calorie counting is going to be for me since I don't eat much out of a box and I am always making new recipes, and I'm really not going to be into the weight watchers food products either. I'm mostly into whole foods. A friend said that there are 2 ways to track your food. Can someone enlighten me?

Also, for the weigh in, do you just wear your normal clothes?

...and anything I might need to know for the first meeting?

Thanks!
#18 of 45 Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM

They don't do 2 ways to track anymore, that was the old plan. Now it is called the momentum plan. You track everything and focus on eating lots of filling foods (veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc). You can most definitely do it without buying packaged foods. If you sign up for the online tools (included in the Monthly Pass price) there is a recipe builder. You input in all your ingredients and nutritional info and it calculates the points per recipe for you. You can save all your recipes so you only have to do the calculations once. WW encourages eating whole, healthy foods and you don't have to buy any of their boxed products to do it. In regards to weigh-in, yes you just wear regular clothes. Try not to wear something really heavy like a cable knit sweater! lol I just wear jeans, a t-shirt, whatever.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#19 of 45 Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Guavagirl, I don't buy hardly any packaged foods and I NEVER buy any weight watchers products. I am definitely into whole foods and I really think ww supports that. Once I got the monthly pass, I also got e-tools. Linda suggested here to me to try the recipe builder online. I love the recipe builder. You plug in all the ingredients and it calculates the points for you.

I'm not sure what the two ways your friend means. I am guessing the first way is to count points, and the second way is to eat freely from a list of certain foods (think whole grains, fruits, veggies, beans, lean meats, etc). I have not tried this second way of counting points, since I tend to go out of control with my portion sizes. I always thought "it's healthy and whole foods, I can eat as much as I want", well, no, I tend to go overboard.

I weigh in in normal clothes. I avoid super bulky things like jeans and sweaters. I know those will add a pound or two extra. However, I don't like "playing games" with the scale, true weight loss will show next week regardless of what you are wearing, you know? Some people at my meeting will weigh in naked just to see a loss. I don't get it, at the end of the day, clothes or no clothes, you weight what you weigh, why play games?

Good luck at your first meeting!

Tonight is my Lifetime Weigh In. I think I am totally on track to earn it. What did you lifetime members do to celebrate?

#20 of 45 Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM

It's funny about the weigh-in, yesterday at my meeting someone commented that I was brave to wear jeans. But I always wear jeans. I do try to wear the same basic thing for weigh in every week so it doesn't affect my weight changes. So it's always a pair of jeans and a nursing tank. Maybe a t-shirt too, but no jacket, sweatshirt, sweater etc. And always barefoot. I do weigh naked at home, but I keep track of that weight separately. Also I don't like to be surprised at the meeting on whether I've lost or not. I want to go in knowing, so I usually weigh myself again at home with my clothes on the morning of my meeting just so I'll know my weight going in.

I'm feeling kind of down though because this week I only lost .6 of a lb and the week before I stayed exactly the same. I'm hoping for a bigger loss this next week, so I'm going to try to exercise more and use less of my Weekly Points.

In better news, my dh decided to start doing WW with me. He has gained weight with both my pregnancies and hasn't lost any of it. He lost a lot of weight with me last time I did WW, but said he didn't want to do it without me. I've been doing it now for about 8 weeks and that's how long it's taken him to decide he was ready to do it too. I think it'll be pretty easy for him, since I'm already doing the calculations for dinner. We've picked out a couple items at local restaurants near his work that he can eat for lunch too. He pretty much has to cut out the junk food and pick some healthier snacks. He gets a lot of points too, so he's been doing it a couple days and it hasn't been too difficult. He isn't going to meetings, he's just doing it online, but he loves the app for the iphone. He thinks it makes everything so much easier (I like the app too, but he's such a geeky tech-loving guy, it's perfect for him). I'm really happy to be doing it together, though I know he'll probably lose faster than me (though he does have more to lose) so I'll try not to let my slower loss discourage me.

#21 of 45 Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Hello Ladies I'm off the wagon and need to talk. I was on plan for a week and then it fell apart. I found I was just too hungry and even dizzy running after my three kids, nursing, etc. when I followed the plan, even with my weekly points and even with extra servings of dairy etc for a nursing mother. Even if I fill up on filling foods I'm STILL HUNGRY - and seem to need more fat to feel satisfied. Ugh. My dh says I should just give up on WW for now, eat what I would normally eat and try again later. I have to be careful because I can't be faint and hungry watching the kids... but I can probably carry through some good habits like lots of veggies and fruit, lean dairy and meat, fewer carbs. But I'll tell ya, when I'm running around after the kids, grabbing a PB&J that will energize me, feed my hunger, and keep me feeling satisfied for a long time after, much longer than filling foods... it's hard to say no.

I paid for 3 mos. online and feel rather silly because I kinda feel like it's money down the drain right now. I feel like it's just not practical right now. Anybody BTDT?

Congratulations to all you who are plodding along... good for you! Keep up the good work!

#22 of 45 Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM

I too am wondering how nursing mom's do on their plan. I don't want to feel like I'm going to fall over. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see. Anyone else nursing?
#23 of 45 Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I too am wondering how nursing mom's do on their plan. I don't want to feel like I'm going to fall over. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see. Anyone else nursing?
For nursing mothers you have an extra serving of fats/oils, milk, fruit & veg. And no, you don't want to fall over! I did WW when I was nursing dd2 before and it seemed a bit easier than now. Maybe because now I have 3 kids under 5.

#24 of 45 Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I did it while nursing my first daughter and lost 40 lbs in 8 months. The fix from a peanut butter sandwich is quick because it is mostly carbs. Carbs make you feel full quickly but then you crash. How about buying the WW smoothie mix and adding fruit to it for a really healthy, and filling, shake?

#25 of 45 Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Hi, can I join in? I just started on Wed. I need to lose 23lbs. I'm exclusively BF my nearly 5mo. DD and have a 7yo DS. I don't feel physically compromised at all. I was hungry until I swapped my afternoon cookies for lentil soup! I do get 32 points a day, so that goes a long way. I also eat a high fiber diet and go for volume. My weakness is emotional and boredom eating.

Surfacing - it might be a good idea to check in with your Dr. Your symptoms could be unrelated to your diet, possibly thyroid?

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#26 of 45 Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Well ladies, after all my questions and hesitations, I did it. I went to my first meeting and I liked it. I've been so "anti-weight watchers" just because the feminist in me doesn't want women to put their weight at such a high importance...but I think I've come to realize that I do want to be fit and healthy again, especially before I have my next baby and this is a very positive way to do it. The leader is great. I wish there were some younger people since I'm 27 and most of the women are over 40 and up. Is that the case for most groups?

Just a little about me. I'm 8 months postpartum. I have a little sweet boy...mostly breastfeeding w/some solids. ...and I've got about 40 lbs to lose. ... me and dh are on week 3 of the Couch to 5k program.
#27 of 45 Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Hello Ladies I'm off the wagon and need to talk. I was on plan for a week and then it fell apart. I found I was just too hungry and even dizzy running after my three kids, nursing, etc. when I followed the plan, even with my weekly points and even with extra servings of dairy etc for a nursing mother. Even if I fill up on filling foods I'm STILL HUNGRY - and seem to need more fat to feel satisfied. Ugh. My dh says I should just give up on WW for now, eat what I would normally eat and try again later. I have to be careful because I can't be faint and hungry watching the kids... but I can probably carry through some good habits like lots of veggies and fruit, lean dairy and meat, fewer carbs. But I'll tell ya, when I'm running around after the kids, grabbing a PB&J that will energize me, feed my hunger, and keep me feeling satisfied for a long time after, much longer than filling foods... it's hard to say no.

I paid for 3 mos. online and feel rather silly because I kinda feel like it's money down the drain right now. I feel like it's just not practical right now. Anybody BTDT?

Congratulations to all you who are plodding along... good for you! Keep up the good work!
I was going to make a suggestion - don't completely fall off the wagon, experiment with adding a few points to see if it helps. You know nursing mothers get 10 extra points a day right? So if you are supposed to be eating 26 then you actually get 36. If that still isn't sufficient then try adding 5 more and see how it goes. Just adding a point or two a day. And make sure you are making good food choices. Have you tried the WW smoothie mix? It is only 1 point and if you add 1 cup of water, 3 ice cubes, and a banana it is only 2.5 points and it's an 11 grams of protein smoothie! Very filling and healthy.

#28 of 45 Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Hello Mamas, thanks for the words of encouragement here. I think the dizziness was actually related mainly to the recent change in some medication I take. I have fallen off in a big way, but will try to get back on again as best I can. The truth of the matter is, I'm managing depression and anxiety, it's under treatment and has been well managed until the season change started. So recently sometimes it's just hard enough to get through my hectic demanding day with three kids 5 and under...

Thanks for the encouragement though. Now that things seem to be evening out again, I will try to be more vigilant.

Go for you all who are working so hard!

#29 of 45 Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the plan changing in December? I was on the WW message boards and people were mentioning that the plan is completely changing in December. I am really not impressed with that. I like the plan, I like the way it works, and it works for me. I don't understand why they keep completely changing the plan. I just signed on for the monthly pass and they didn't mention anything to me about changes so I feel lied to. I don't know I'll stick to WW if they overhaul the program.

#30 of 45 Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Well, what if it's better? Maybe you'll like it more. (I haven't heard anything) Plus, there's always the chance that word of mouth turned a couple upgrades into "overhaul" & "completely changing." ...but maybe not. ...but I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page