October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, maybe I will ask my dentist about that Mary's Magic Mouthwash thing. I would need to find a holistic dentist probably though, right? There is a compounding pharmacy nearby.

TTO mouth rinse? That's also possible...maybe I'll try to hit the HFS on the way home and see if they have anything.

Okay I need a link to the shirt ordering thing.

Last time we did short sleeves (run like a mother) I got an XL and it's kind of snug anyway but the time before that (mama needs a run, pink shirt) my xl is kind of big. I like things not too tight but don't want to be swimming in it either. But I definitely want a vneck, either L or XL depending on the sizing. Short sleeves.

Uh oh gotta go, think I just saw someone stick gum under a desk. I guess it's good to know some things just never change in life...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#302 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Last time we did short sleeves (run like a mother) I got an XL and it's kind of snug anyway but the time before that (mama needs a run, pink shirt) my xl is kind of big. I like things not too tight but don't want to be swimming in it either. But I definitely want a vneck, either L or XL depending on the sizing. Short sleeves.
My Run like a Mother M is 18 1/4" across 1" under the sleeves, and my Mama needs a run L is 20 1/2" across 1" under the sleeves, so these sizes appear to be quite a bit bigger than last year's shirts, and a smidge bigger than those 2 years ago.
#303 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Nic - make sure the nystatin mouthwash doesnt have sugar in it! Many do. If it does, ask the doc/pharmacy for nystatin powder, and then mix that with water.. Also, if you can stand it, try to eliminate sugar from your diet, including fruit

Zub - I acknowledge what the kid is whining about in a really emphatic way, looking at them and giving them my attention "you REALLY want X, you really wish you could have that", (I read about this somewhere, and I swear, it makes my dd stop complaining almost every time) ... then ignore and redirect. In other words, validate zealously but briefly, then its done, and you and they need to move on!

Jaygee and Bec - sorry about the sick kiddos and loss of FM. NO its not selfish Bec. I totally resent my kids when they get sick

Gaye - Awesome race report and picture

Mel - can I send you money/check too and not do paypal?

I want a shirt, but Im sorry, I dont know what to do about it, even though I really have been reading. Do I send money to Mel, and size request? Are we all getting V-neck pink ones, or do I have to make a special request for color? I'll look back for measurements - I'm like Geo, an M or L, depending. ... blork

OT: I am sooo overwhelmed by the dog. Why cant I take on new responsibilities with some equinimity? I'm spending all my spare time studying dog training, then training the family, and then the dog. She is NOT food motivated, so it is very hard to get her to do things. My old dog was a Weimy, and she was sharp as a tack. This one is a much slower learner so it feels like training is a lot of work And thene there's the random dog stuff: my recent google searches have included subjects such as "dogs who eat toilet/tissue paper", "dogs who eat leggos", "dogs who eat animal poop"

Sorry for that last one ...

On the up side, she has a great, tempermant, she's just an adolescent with NO formal training

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#304 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Mel - can I send you money/check too and not do paypal?

I want a shirt, but Im sorry, I dont know what to do about it, even though I really have been reading. Do I send money to Mel, and size request? Are we all getting V-neck pink ones, or do I have to make a special request for color? I'll look back for measurements - I'm like Geo, an M or L, depending. ... blork
Yes, absolutely, you can PM me with the size/color/neck style you would like, then I'll send you my real-life address.

I will repost the links to the 2 styles where you can see the colors and the sizing info.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#305 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Hi! Here's the post that had information on colors and styles. I couldn't figure out how to just post a link to a post, so I'm just re-posting the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
OK, bear with me here! I'm a beginner...

What I just said about the crew neck being too expensive, minimum order, etc.? Strike that!! Reverse it! Crew necks are available and the pricing is as follows:

Crew:
shirt = 14.00
sales tax = 1.35
set up fee = 1.00
shipping = 4.50
Poppy's shirt= 0.85
total = 21.70

V-neck:
shirt = 17.00
sales tax = 1.65
set up fee = 1.00
shipping = 4.50
contrib to artist's shirt= 0.85
total = 25.00

I will PM you back with my paypal info when I get your order!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#306 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I acknowledge what the kid is whining about in a really emphatic way, looking at them and giving them my attention "you REALLY want X, you really wish you could have that", (I read about this somewhere, and I swear, it makes my dd stop complaining almost every time) ... then ignore and redirect. In other words, validate zealously but briefly, then its done, and you and they need to move on!
Were you spying on me at the library this morning !!! DD2 had a MEGA-fit when it was time to leave and I did just what you said ~ acknowledge ("DD, you sound very angry that it's time to go."), redirect ("What would you like for lunch when we get home?", and ignore ! Good stuff, although her fit lasted a lot longer than it should have .

Nic ~ my dentist is just a regular ol' dentist, nothing fancy, so your regular dentist should be able to give you the script.

Bec ~ I feel the same way about sick children and my run schedule .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#307 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM

serial posting because I forgot the most exciting news of all:

AF will be here any moment too!! We're like a real team

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#308 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
bec

Quote:
Jaygee and Bec - sorry about the sick kiddos and loss of FM. NO its not selfish Bec. I totally resent my kids when they get sick
And she's been feeling totally fine yesterday afternoon and all day today, so I really resent it! She SHOULD be in school! I almost think it would be easier if she was sick for me to accept it. And what does THAT say about me?

Shirts - Let me see if I understand (I know, but I'm feeling slow and need to process this for some reason), we can order either crew or v-neck (personal preference for v-neck), and the recommendation is for a light color, because it is going to be dark grey artwork. So, would the red work? I'm having a need for a red shirt for some reason! Or should I stick to pink or white?

Mel - I'll PM you with my preferences and a request for an address when I figure it out.

Geo - thanks for explaining the sizing! It sounds like I would like a medium, as my Mama needs a run shirt fits perfectly, while the Run like a mother is...um...not great with my current weight (hopefully will be better by next summer).

Speaking of weight, can I whine and moan for a moment? Since last year, I've gained about 20-30 pounds. I'm working hard right now to not just go off on a massive binge fest and eat everything around me. I think I really need to just start training for something. I think I need to have a specific running schedule. I feel lost and adrift. I am working out 5-6 times a week, and eat pretty good (need to up my veggie intake a lot, I think), but it seems like every single pound has to take an inordinate amount of effort to lose. Blech. It's a vicious cycle of me feeling bad about myself, making my self worth about how my clothes fit, then rebelling against that as totally unenlightened and un-feministic (is that even a word?). I so desperately work to hide these feelings from my children, because I recognize them as wrong and unhealthy, and then I feel guilty about having them in the first place! Usually, I would just go out for a run and blow it all out of my system, but I'm working SO hard to not reinjure myself, and I am beginning to wonder if I am just starting to use that as an excuse.

All this to say, I think I'm going to sign up to do the Indy Mini next year. Is there anyone else that's interested in that again? I'm thinking I need to make a big gesture, and I'm thinking that I can extend the schedule and maybe cycle through it twice or something between now and then. Maybe find a half to do before that one. I figure that, on top of tri training, as well as a new lifting regime should have a good effect on my shape! I just need to be careful about not over training. I'm thinking of limiting my running to 3-4 days a week to that end.

I am getting a lot of walking in, though, due to the puppy! I take him out for a couple of long walks every day (1-1.5 miles), plus the run out into the yard to pee/poop all day long. It is keeping him nice and exercised and tired! I saw first hand this morning when he does not get his walk in on time! He pooped twice and peed once on my carpet!!! Lesson learned. Otherwise, he's been doing VERY well with housebreaking. He hasn't had an accident in his crate even once, so I'm thrilled about that. Sparkle - have you turned up what to do with a dog that eats pine cones?

Having a puppy is a full time job! Teaching a lab to not pull on the leash is a challenge in itself! My best trick, so far, is to use the big dog as a barrier, so that the puppy is blocked between the two of us and has to walk behind me, and, therefore, not pull. When he is behaving well (and not overwhelmed with puppy rambunctiousness), he gets to walk right in between us. I want to get those good habits in EARLY!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#309 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
serial posting because I forgot the most exciting news of all:

AF will be here any moment too!! We're like a real team
YEAH!
is it sad that i'm excited by that news? LOL

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#310 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Having a puppy is a full time job! Teaching a lab to not pull on the leash is a challenge in itself!
How long until you can use a Gentle Leader?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#311 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Oh, Penelope, I am so sorry. Your DH is being a complete douche
Isn't it odd that douche is widely understood as nasty when we refer to people as such, but the makers of Massengill probably feel their product is a soothing treat.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#312 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM

(posting again - cause i want to do a quick reply, but then wanted to read the rest - LOL)

Add me to the "resenting sick kids" list maybe even resent dh a little as I'm the house Dr/Nurse here, and he gets to kick back and just relax

Bec - weighty issues - I get you, I really do. While I've lost 25-30ish pounds over the last year, I'm still WAY overweight (i gained over 100# though all my pregnancies), and every pound to lose is hellish. But in the same breath, I too have been thinking I'm using my injury as a bit of an excuse to avoid any "real" working out (cause there is lots of stuff I can do to not hurt myself!), or even housework some days. I need to find a way to be more accountable I guess. DH isn't again me getting healthy, I just don't think he's totally on board with me running yet, and rather me wait out getting the knee to 200% before i even TRY (and after almost 4 months of "waiting", I don't want to keep waiting anymore).

wow - sorry for my own tangent there (and i even parred it down a bit). Mostly I wanted to say I totally understand, BTDT (esp with the vicious cycle stuff), and hope you can get out of that rut too soon.

SO that said, but I'm pretty set that if my knee isn't torn, to sign up for a 5k in December... and work towards running it. I don't see it as ambitious, as even if i have knee issues still, it a walk/run. And now the local HS is open 4 evenings a week for pool use, I really need to get into doing that a couple nights a week.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#313 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
How long until you can use a Gentle Leader?
My vet recommends the poker collars. I have one for Gromit, and it works very well. It doesn't poke him painfully (unless he goes full tilt to the end of the lead, which he has done every once in a while, but not for years), but enough to give it's own correction. I didn't know what to get, so I got a simple choke collar. The vet said that labs, in particular, don't care if they are choking. She sees a lot of larynx injuries in that particular breed, apparently. I try to use it as a quick pull and release to give the correction, but that doesn't do anything when he's just pulling at the end. But, she doesn't recommend the poker collars until he is 4-6 months old (I swear, it's like starting solids or something!). Blocking him behind/between me and Gromit has been working pretty well, though. It takes a little agility on my part, but he's starting to get the picture. I'm hoping the habit will be mostly set by the time he's old enough for the poker collar, and that will take him the rest of the way. Gromit was a horrible puller until we got the poker collar for him. Then it went magically away, so I have hope. I haven't tried the gentle leaders, but my parents have used them with their Pyrenese. It was fine, but they said that she would practically tear her head off when she was feeling stubborn, or would yank her head around violently if she wasn't in the mood for it.

Joslyn - While I'm up a bit of weight right now, before I started running, I was about 100 pounds more. I would like to say this was because of baby weight, but that's not the case. I was just over weight, didn't eat well, ate too much of what I did eat, and didn't exercise at all. The good news is that I really have made some pretty sweeping lifestyle changes since then, so I have a structure of healthy eating and exercise to fall back on. I do want this to stop being a journey though, and just be the size I am for the rest of my life. I don't like even the 20-30 pound yo-yo. It's aggravating!

The good news about the puppy is that I am walking a lot more! I got about 3 miles in with the dogs yesterday, and a 3+ mile walk with my friend. Today, even though I can't get to the gym, I have already put in over 2 miles with the dogs, with probably 2 more to come. Tiring him out has a huge impact on his behavior (meaning he sleeps when he's inside!).

#314 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Checking in and reading along.

Gaye, I am so excited for you to have another marathon done.

I hope all these puppies are very good for their new families.

I so wish I had run the Columbus Marathon again this year. Maybe next year?

Any takers on the Indy Mini? I'd want to do it again if there was a group of dingos going but that is probably the only way it would make it to my list.

My tale of woe is ever increasing so I'll spare you the goriness especially as I can't remember when I last updated here. This too shall pass, this too shall pass.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#315 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM

I have to get my act together re: shirts, but I definitely want one, I just have to figure out color, size, neck, and all that. Will do so ASAP.

As far as people who might want one who aren't around, what about Mandy, Erika, Gigi, and Tamara?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#316 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Plady, I just knew I was in for a real treat when you posted that link. I just can't imagine how clean and fresh I *could* feel.

bec, I feel all that. I am up again myself, and down 1 pound since discovering how up I was. Lots of hard work, indeed. But the good news is that every one of those effective workouts is an endorphin-stimming workout. Ran a few outside miles today. Yes, walk breaks, yes, we were slow, but it felt good to do it, and it gave me the feeling that I got training value.

Also whirlpooled, which is always awesome.

And cleared myself for a weekend off the farm. It's not going to be perfect, but I will be away from my responsibilities for 2 days before diving in for the next 2 weeks. And I want to book a slumber party during the 2 weeks with JenLove and V.

And on AF...I think I mentioned I believe I may be affected by my goats. What happens when they get pg? Dunno, guess we'll see.
#317 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I have to get my act together re: shirts, but I definitely want one, I just have to figure out color, size, neck, and all that. Will do so ASAP.

As far as people who might want one who aren't around, what about Mandy, Erika, Gigi, and Tamara?
I PM'd them all on FB- Erika responded so far

ETA: actually i don't have Gigi as a friend on FB, can someone send her, and anyone else that might not have seen, the info?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#318 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My vet recommends the poker collars. I have one for Gromit, and it works very well. It doesn't poke him painfully (unless he goes full tilt to the end of the lead, which he has done every once in a while, but not for years), but enough to give it's own correction. I didn't know what to get, so I got a simple choke collar. The vet said that labs, in particular, don't care if they are choking.
Gentle Leader

They also make a walking harness of sorts. My vet recommended both (for my golden).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#319 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
YEAH!
is it sad that i'm excited by that news? LOL

Wow, me, too!

They just announced a Minnesota Warrior Dash. KERC, you in?

It's in Hastings in July. I am going to sign up as soon as I have some money!

I also love the gentle leader. Although, we don't use it anymore since getting Myles his backpack. He doesn't pull much wearing a backpack, and he always wears it when we go running together.
#320 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Any takers on the Indy Mini? I'd want to do it again if there was a group of dingos going but that is probably the only way it would make it to my list.

My tale of woe is ever increasing so I'll spare you the goriness especially as I can't remember when I last updated here. This too shall pass, this too shall pass.
:

It sounds like we have 2 for the Mini now. Any more?

#321 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM

if you ladies are doing the indy mini, I'll probably sign up to do it too
#322 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
bec

That's 3! Sounds like a conspiracy to me!

Had parent teacher conferences tonight. Both of my children are doing fabulously!!! Katie went up 25% points on her MAPS reading score!!! Her math is starting to come along as well. Having this IEP for math has made a HUGE world of difference for her. Academically, socially, emotionally. I'm so proud of the work she's doing. She's getting A's in everything right now! Go Katie!

Emily is being taught the 3rd grade curriculum, and excelling. She's in 2nd, but is in a 2/3 split class so it is very easy to differentiate to this degree for her, without it being a huge deal. Her test scores rock, too, and have shown a nice improvement from last year as well. Her teacher said she's doing VERY well socially, too. This was my biggest concern with pursuing the grade skip. This has been so validating for us! Emily is happy, truly engaged and learning new things.

I'm so proud of my kids! They are both kicking butt!

#323 of 554 Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM

sparkle~My dog is a connoisseur of paper products. He particularly enjoys napkins, paper towels, and tissues.

mommajb~Hang in there!

I would love to do the Indy mini, and in fact, my friend Amy is doing it and really wants me to, but I just can't commit when I don't know my clinical schedule, and the race will fill up before I do anyway. Oh well, I really can't afford it right now, so it's probably good that I can't commit.

I really really want to sign up for something just to have a goal, but as mentioned...a) no $ and b) no idea what my schedule is going to look like. I desperately want to plan another marathon, but I just can't right now.

Feeling much more normal today. I can walk, but stairs still hurt like a mother! I have track in the morning, so I'll get a light run in, maybe a mile or two, and I can't wait.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#324 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 AM

4.5 miles at the gym on the track tonight. Mommajb, the last lap was dedicated to you. I'm thinking of you and all you're going through.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#325 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#326 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Busy days means I lose track of the dingos. Eek!

Mommajb--I'm sorry things are still not great; please let us know if there's something on your mind that could be made better by venting it here. Keep fighting along; you continue to be in my thoughts.

Gaye--A little birdie told me it's your birthday! Actually, it may not be your birthday where you are quite yet, but here in Massachusetts the celebration in your honor started ten minutes ago.

Love the shirts! Can't wait! I also noticed the bullseye boob effect on the v-neck shirts. I don't possibly have the boobage to pull off that look, so I opted for the crew.

Today is day two of my renewed effort to run without pushing myself too hard. Three and a half easy miles, followed by some very light stretching. I've never been a stretcher, and I think that overly aggressive stretching may have contributed to my most recent calf injury. Typical of me, to decide that I really should try to be more flexible and devote more time to stretching.... then completely overdo it. I'm trying to restrain myself this time.

:yawning
#327 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Ugh. DD1 STILL has a fever this morning. I may lose my mind if I don't get to run today .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#328 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM

so good to see monikita's username pop up in our thread again, if only for a brief visit!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#329 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM

La4 - i too have never been a stretcher, and I too have injured myself several times from stretching (one; my achilles). however i never overstretch, and the stretching itself feels comfortable, even good, and then the next day I am hosed. I discussed this w/ my PT and he said the current consensus on stretching is to hold a VERY gentle stretch for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, that the time held is what gradually stretches those muscles. Its called creep. consistency matters too of course. Good luck with the new regime!!

Mommajb - thinking of you too! I wish there was something we could do?

Gaye - happy birthday!! what are you, 28? 29?

Jaygee - hang in there. Can you walk with her in the stroller (even though she's big)?

#330 of 554 Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I'm so proud of my kids! They are both kicking butt!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page