October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a picture of Daisy

Geo - Ill be checking back to hear news... tap tap tap

Jaygee - yay for the poundage , although I think Ive taken a few off you And yay for dh coming home after a long week!

Jo - I hope you get 10 weeks worth of relaxation out of this weekend!

kerc - why no home-made baked goods?

mommajb - still thinking of you...

eksmom - and you...

Heading out to my parent-teacher conference for ds, remember him Actually he's been doing awesome, so Im curious to see what his teacher says....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post

On a brighter note-I made marathon hotel reservations yesterday!!! We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Dh and dd8 will come in on Jan 6 b/c she is running the 5k on the morning of the 7th. I'll come in on the 7th with the other kids and my mom. We're staying until the 12th. Can't wait to see y'all there!
Paige!! WE'RE STAYING THERE TOO!!!!!! Ooooh, Dingo meetup?!!!

So, where are we going to eat Sat. night to carboload?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM

No way Nic!!! Is it still just you and your mom, or are the kids coming too? Port Orleans Riverside has a fantastic food court with a make-your-own pasta bar. It will be perfect! I am SO dreading that 3:30am bus ride, but now it'll be so much better!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Jealous!

HBM, you'd better care for that infection so you can enjoy the race!

WTG, Geo!

I did 20ish minutes on the elliptical today and then 3mi on the TM. This Dingo got slow. At least now I have a plan for how to get back to respectable speeds and distances. Good news: totally doable. Bad news: regular use of treadmills required.

re:lunchables...reminds me of work.

Dh helped me make dinner tonight. It's not even 6:30 and he's passing out now, but at least I got some help.

Cuties are a great idea. Fruit kabobs are also popular here, as well as frozen juice bars. We're encouraged to do stickers/pencils or nothing at all, as well.

Sparkle, thanks! I'm kind of excited just to have some down/away time. I'm definitely going to make a point of time away from the office when dh is back on the road, too.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Geo - Ill be checking back to hear news... tap tap tap
18-0

My kids, however, have worked very hard this evening to ruin any warm fuzzies that I might be feeling from today's results.

DH to DS: I'll let you in on a secret. Just as you guys only have a certain number of hours each day of good behavior, we only have a certain number of hours each day of good parenting. You are now beyond your good hours and you're beyond our good hours. Now go to bed.

DS: Are you saying I'm tired?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM

eta: Geo, I am so happy for you. Damn, you go!

Jen, that's an awesome looking-race. I'll have to bookmark it and think about next year.

JayGee, congrats on the good work.

Nic and Paige, you go meet up, dingo-style! not to be confused with doggie style.

RR: um.... I am going to run tomorrow (in between kid dropoff and a haircut) and hope for the best, IT-band wise.

General report about things: I'm working on my third-year review portfolio and it's going slowly. My mother asked me today who else they could possibly get to take my job, presuming my review goes badly and they don't rehire me (which, thanks, Mom, on so many levels...) because it requires so much work and pays so badly. Which is true. But damn, she does. not. get. how bad the job scene is in acadamia... she did also offer to pay for a cleaning lady for me as a Christmas present, which I could really use.

I'm also having some difficult interpersonal conflict with a friend, and cried about it today at some length, and am just sad. No one is at fault, it's just one of those things. I think we can resolve it, but I'm in the painful middle and it hurts. Sometimes I just hate being a grownup.

Yeah, mama needs a run.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Hi all!

A Dingo lurker here - I don't normally post, but I have to brag a little bit. I ran 7.5 miles yesterday, which is a record for me. I have never gone that distance before, but, thanks to a little mind-gaming with myself, I did it! yay me!

Now the 10K I have planned for Halloween morning looks easy peasy...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
18-0
S*W*E*E*T

We (of course) never had any doubts. But the fact that not even any of the old guys voted no totally freaking rocks. I was just saying to Erik that it would of course look very poorly on Big State U if you didn't get tenured after doing this circle tour of the country you're doing this year......

now, wanna go out for a beer? My family just left for three whole days. Three. I miss them already but so desperately need time/space to myself.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Geo! and

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Dd decided to introduce the family to the new term, "'tocks," as in, "Sit down on your 'tocks."
I love it. I'm going to start using that right away.

No RR today. But I did change the litter box. If I disclose how long I've been putting it off I'll be banned. Suffice it to say it was time.

Sweetpea Nice job on your PR!

Kerc, I'd really like to have a beer with you tonight. I actually feel well enough to have one today too.

First I've got to go do some Indian dancing and nail down the choreography for my Indian scene. The choreographer has lots of good ideas but so far she hasn't just decided on how it all goes. Wish me luck that we can cross this off the list.

We're having PT conferences too and it was good, C is doing fine and the teacher loves her attitude. That's good enough for me.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Before ya'll celebrate too much, there's at least one more biggie vote (college level) and then there might be another level or two above that...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Before ya'll celebrate too much, there's at least one more biggie vote (college level) and then there might be another level or two above that...
Would the college really vote "no" when the department votes unanimously yes on a female scientist who brings in money?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Would the college really vote "no" when the department votes unanimously yes on a female scientist who brings in money?
I don't think so, but then again, I'm not counting chickens...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Geo - i knew it

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Sparkle, I meant to say that Daisy is ADORABLE! She looks like such a sweetheart! She's just what I'd love to find.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
celebrations at school need not be all about food.
Totally agree! Last year, I passed out temporary tattoos, pencils, and mini card games. It went over huge! Kids were thrilled. Normally sulky teens dressed in black with black lipstick lit up! Both of my big kids have classes that have kids with severe, life threatening allergies. Birthday treats are going to be things like this. Maybe super balls, silly bands, pencil toppers or something!

Sparkle - She's adorable! She kind of looks a little like my older dog (he has more brown than black, though).

Geo - Rock on, mama!!! Can I start counting a few chickens for you?

Sweeetpea - Congrats on your distance! That's a great run!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 AM

drjen--R was 4 lbs 9 oz too, but 39.5 weeks. Small babies are so cute.

bec & memiles--yay for good school conferences.

JayGee--yay for the 5k!

Geo--yay!!!

Shirt order: XS crew-neck in silver for me please!

FM: the usual 5 miles for school pick-up. Almost didn't happen, because I discovered that a jogger tire was flat about an hour before I needed to leave. So I nursed J really quickly and then we headed over to the bike store so they could replace the tube. It went flat two weeks ago on our way home and I'd aired it up so we could get home and then forgotten to check it again. (That was also the run in which I forgot to bring snacks for R, who at some point was just standing on the sidewalk next to our very busy six-lane highway screaming at me at the top of her lungs. She really needs her snack.)

I remembered her snack for sure today. And I stashed $5 in a pocket in the jogger if (when) I forget again so we can buy something on the way home.

The rest of the day kinda stunk. Some crazy mom was driving like a maniac in the school parking lot and then passed me, in the school zone on the right in an area that is for people to park their cars in the all of three blocks between the school and main road. We all see her at drop-off every day, so I really don't know wth she was thinking. It was crazy-rude and dangerous (as in, I was driving past her car in the parking lot when she was going around to get in the driver's seat, and in the maybe 30 seconds it took me to turn out of the parking lot she was on my tail, and she was passing me within 1.5 blocks as I was driving the school-zone speed). J refuses to be put down for anything and cries through my shower, DH was hostile and crabby this evening and, as I've mentioned, I've been the bane of his existence for weeks (months?) so it's nice to see that's continuing unabated.

And early today, when I showed R that I'd finished hemming her costume and wanted to try it on before I put in the "good" hem, she burst into tears because the dress didn't drag on the floor. I explained that Cinderella's dress doesn't drag on the floor. She insisted it did. She said she'd seen the movie. I said I'd seen the movie. She said "yes, but that was a really long time ago." (Which is true and sort of funny but also sort of because now I'm old, forgetful, and messed up her costume.) Somehow, my explanation that dresses would be ruined if they dragged on the ground didn't seem to be working for her. She eventually decided to wear it a bit this morning and see if she got used to it, and then she was happy.

After she went to bed, I ripped out any parts of the hem that could be lowered and I'm going to finish sewing those into place. She's always been thrilled with what I've made her, so even though this was kind of a situation, she was truly disappointed and then I felt like .

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Oh Real,

Geo! WOOT!!!!!

Paige, I'm SO EXCITED. Just me and my mom, leaving dh and the kids behind. Yeah I know, kinda mean....considering it's Disney...but I want to have a good race w/o worrying about where dh and the kids are and if they're happy, etc...

More later.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I love my family dearly and miss them a lot. But holy moly. My alarm went off the normal time and I don't have to be at work for a good 2 hours. There's time for working on next week's class in addition to this morning's class (which is bad practice anyway, but happens sometimes). There's time for reading the paper. WOW. Kids = time consuming in a good way.

Also this morning: predictions for cold weather next week. Not just but cold enough for freezing rain. Ignoring that it is freezing rain and going on the cold enough to break into my snowy pattern.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM

<---

Dingos rock. : I'm gun shy (kerc is confident - I have my reservations that might be more superstition than anything else...) and the deed is not yet done.

I slept last night. Soundly. From the time I went to bed to when the alarm went off 8.5 hours later. It's been a while since I did that....

No sitter today, so I'm contemplating a midday run.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
<---

Dingos rock.
LOL.

Quote:
I slept last night. Soundly. From the time I went to bed to when the alarm went off 8.5 hours later. It's been a while since I did that....
My already quite free day just got even better: the dude who has been playing phone tag about touring the oil refinery on my field trip tomorrow just got ahold of me and now my field trip (for tomorrow) is 100% planned. No scouting out a place to go that's safe and not too boring.

Now, on to making next week feel like this once my family returns.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Way to go, Geo! I'm with KERC!

Kerc- I love getting dirty. I think it's a big part of why I love gardening so much. Enjoy your time alone!

I've been offline for a few days. I picked up the girls from MIL's yesterday, and things are good. Of course, I didn't get as much done as I had hoped but I'm ok with it now.

I'm going to do some strength training as soon as my kids get out of the living room, and then walk for a bit.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

RR: I did 4.2m with no real IT band pain. I'm going to keep doing strengthening, stretching, foam rolling, and gradually work my mileage back up. But, fingers crossed, I think I'm on the right track. Plus, a beautiful fall day to run...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
bec

Ok, ok, ok!!!!!! Guess what I did?!! I RAN for 30 minutes straight!!!! This is the first time in months and months and months. There was no pain, and it was really good. I did it on the treadmill at the gym, and started at a much slower pace than I've been running at. I built up the speed throughout the run, till it was a bit faster than I have been running at. It was the best run I've had in ages and ages!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Way to go Bec! That's great!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Mel - I just Paypaled you.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM

geo~

bec~

And for me, I just passed my practical exam for my fundamentals of nursing class! Not that there aren't high-stress times to come, but I think this was the last true pass/fail practical exam where if you fail, you fail the class (from here on, I think it's just a grade deduction). Woohoo!!! Of course, I have a critique due for my nursing research class, and a pharm test tomorrow, but in the meantime, woohoo!!!

Oh, and I got a sizable birthday check from my mom in the mail yesterday, so I am now the proud owner of a shiny new NCLEX review book. The things that make me happy these days...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Geo -

Penelope -

Bec - (i wrote bed first - what am i thinking about?) YAY

Gaye - i rmemeber when i was in nursing school - nursing books made me happy too

Well, I never got to the Ortho yesterday... my grandmother was admitted to the hospital for a heart atack. She's 91... she's not getting better, they are basically just keeping her comfortable. She looks better today then when she first got to the ER, but looks worse then she did last night. I'm not taking this well.... at all.
And back to the Ortho, they can't get me reschedule back in for a time late enough to see the Ortho for my MRI results. I told the receptionist that the Dr can call me if i have a tear and hung up. This office has been nothing but rude to me from the get go, I've had enough... I'm going back to my reg Dr (with my MRI images) and he and i can get a game plan.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Kris.

Gaye, I totally get it. And congrats!

Bec, :highfive

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
bec

The other big accomplishment of the day is getting 2 out of the 3 kids set for costumes! After some shuffling of ideas around, Abby is going to be a Bee, Katie is going to be a scarecrow, and Emily is still planning on being a water bottle (I've started assembling materials). The good news is that, while I have had to run all over town, it was super cheap. ~$15 for Katie, ~$10 for Abby, and I think Emily is going to be under $10 when all is said and done. And, there will be some clothes that will be re-usable for the kids after!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM

That's it. I'm going refined-sugar free. I've had about 5 lbs creep on over the last few months, and the obvious culprit is ice cream, brownies, cupcakes.

Who's with me?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

User Tag List