October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 554 Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick, somebody talk some sense into me. I'm seriously thinking about signing up for the Colfax marathon in May. Between early reg and a discount code I have, I could sign up for $60. SIXTY DOLLARS. For a FULL marathon! Clinical schedule for Feb could make training VERY difficult. But...close to home. Cheap. And did I mention cheap?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#482 of 554 Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Do it Gaye! For that price, heck yeah!

Just cleaned a mountain of barf off the sofa where DS "was" sleeping. Looks like our trip to Illinois may not be happening tomorrow. Sigh....

Off to scrape the sofa cushions. And I was sleeping too....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#483 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 AM

Time is money Gaye.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#484 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Sheesh. I mean, for $60, how can I NOT sign up for it?

drjen, can you put it on the race list? Colfax Marathon, May 15.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#485 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Gaye you started one post woth how busy you are and nanny worries and finished up by signing up for a marathon. I romise you I want to do another but... whoa. Just keep your big goals in mind and manage the pressure you put on yourself so that it life can go along smoothly and enjoyable for you. With that put of the way, you go girl!

I woke up 30 minutes early, fell back alseep, and then woke up 30 minutes late to run before school. Luckily dh doesn't teach on Thursdays so I'll go after I drop them off. Right now it is really time to pack lunches and find clothes and all sorts of evening chores I didn't do last night. In my defense I had to staff the pool for the swim team and dh took ds to Btown for the IU v Butler soccer game for his birthday. At least he didn't mind a consolation prize 2 weeks late. We had planned to rock climb but illness and broken feet and... It didn't happen. Ack! 6:30 I promised to hot roll hair 3 dds and peg the jeans for 80's day at school!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#486 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Gaye, you crack me up. But there's something to keeping busy! I had a conversation with one of my students this week who is taking 18 credits next semester, and figuring out how to manage all of her sports and religions and fine arts stuff... and she said, kind of conspiratorially, "I like to be really busy." And I nodded and smiled and said I do, too. Much, much better than having not enough to do.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#487 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM

I got my highest GPA when I carried 20 credits, my lowest when I carried 13. Go figure, right? Go for it, Gaye, but get ready to lose your mind.

I didn't work out yesterday. Instead watched a live broadcast of my beloved teacher who's in declining health. It was tough but good, and has me further contemplating whether I am doing right by my family right now...and whether there is a reasonable way to extricate myself from some of the stuff that's tying me up. And whether I am honestly expressing who I am in my life, or making compromises that are contributing to the ache in my heart. And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.

And I have a spare kid this AM, so no Y until later. Going to make them an awesome breakfast and try to have a chill day off school, and somehow still get some paid work done.

So happy to see so many Dingoes around. You ladies have been such inspiration to me for these years. I just love you.
#488 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM

jooj ~ difficult questions, all around . I'm also one who does better when I have more on my plate (but when I burn out, it's a serious crash).

DS still isn't feeling too hot. I'm finding vomit in all kinds of awful places (doorframe? wall?) Meanwhile, I'm feeling a bit queasy, but it might just be a result of the smell and all the cleaning I've done already.

I guess we'll be hanging out at home today. Depending on how DS and the rest of us feel this afternoon, we may or may not head to Illinois. I'd hate to be trapped in DH's crummy apartment with a stomach virus. DS is really disappointed. It's his birthday weekend and we had so many great plans for Saturday in St. Louis.

And it's a given that there will be no FM today... again.

#489 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.
That is such a resonant question. Im finding it interesting, especially entering "mid-life", how I evaluate my life along lines of should vs. sincerity, being needled by pride to do things that may not be genuinely true to me .. but then what's true to me is a whole 'nother biq question - blork

mommajb - so true/funny about not wanting your kids to be from there. I think, not infrequently, that my kids MUST do well in school (as in, I'm going to end up being that pushy mom) so that they can leave for college

Lofty - so glad to hear you are feeling that sense of belonging. I have found too that it takes 18 months whenever I move to get that feeling

Gaye - have you heard the expression "the more you do the more you do" (and its inverse..) Go for it!

Nic - I love that expression too "well behaved women seldom make history", but then lately I'm also really liking another bumper sticker; "Maybe the hokey-pokey really is what it's all about" Glad the Sasquatch didnt see you

Jaygee - BLEH Im SO sorry!! I hope he rebounds and the family ca salvage a nice weekend!

On supervising kids; my dawdler is the 8 year old, but truth be told, I dress them all in the morning because I'd rather be done with it in 8 minutes than remind them over and over for half an hour I know this is probably training them in the wrong direction, but my mornings are just too short to hope they do it. I do however let them suffer other natural consequences (forgetting homework)

Speaking of which, off to wrangle kids into clothes and get lunches packed and breakfast served...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#490 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Whoa Jo, those are some very big questions.

I like being busy and right now I'm at such a happy place, even on the craziest day I now am sure that working with kids like this is what I truly love. I'm already thinking about 'next year's play' as if such a thing is a given (not). I'm also thinking about ways to involve older kids. The down side, such as it is, is that dd1 doesn't like to share me so much. But really it seems to me that we spend more time together when it feels to her that my time is more precious. When I'm always on hand we can ignore each other more kwim?

Anyway, to those of you who do not feel like you are in the right place. I have had that and it is difficult if not impossible to settle down when that's the sense. I had that feeling where I grew up and it does sometimes make me a little sad to realize that if I never go back there again it will be okay. My heart was never there in the first place.

RR; I have to run today. Probably it won't be far because I just have so much to do before tomorrow afternoon, but it has to happen.

My mom is enroute. I'm not sure when she'll be arriving but she was in Stockton CA yesterday evening.

#491 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Sheesh. I mean, for $60, how can I NOT sign up for it?

drjen, can you put it on the race list? Colfax Marathon, May 15.
Ha! I'm one that tends to do better when I'm overcommitted. I have a definite tendency towards sitting on my butt all day in front of the computer if I don't have pressing responsibilities, so keeping my schedule full forces me to keep moving. I think I accomplished more Monday, bookended by 2 births at 5 am and 11pm, than I did the rest of the week combined. I knew the second birth was coming, I didn't know how long it was going to take and I had stuff that had no option but to get done. I also feel I study better when I have limited blocks of time rather than "sometime today I need to".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I didn't work out yesterday. Instead watched a live broadcast of my beloved teacher who's in declining health. It was tough but good, and has me further contemplating whether I am doing right by my family right now...and whether there is a reasonable way to extricate myself from some of the stuff that's tying me up. And whether I am honestly expressing who I am in my life, or making compromises that are contributing to the ache in my heart. And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.
Sometimes taking that step away is liberating, but it's terrifying at the same time. Having just made a tough professional decision to do what's right for my family, I get a glimmer of what you mean. Be gentle with yourself and listen to your heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Whoa Jo, those are some very big questions.

I like being busy and right now I'm at such a happy place, even on the craziest day I now am sure that working with kids like this is what I truly love. I'm already thinking about 'next year's play' as if such a thing is a given (not). I'm also thinking about ways to involve older kids. The down side, such as it is, is that dd1 doesn't like to share me so much. But really it seems to me that we spend more time together when it feels to her that my time is more precious. When I'm always on hand we can ignore each other more kwim?

My mom is enroute. I'm not sure when she'll be arriving but she was in Stockton CA yesterday evening.
I hear you on the kid thing. I definitely think the girls and I have a better relationship when I'm busy. They do a better job of expressing what they need from me, I do a better job of stopping to focus on them when I know I'm pressed for time. That sounds sad when I type it out, but the time definitely seems more precious and I enjoy it more.

Was that her driving by my house?

Today is another one of those crazy days for me, one that I can't quite figure out how I'm going to fit it all in. I'm hoping that means that my client who has been walking around at 4 cm for 2 weeks now will have her baby. She's getting so antsy and riled up about it and has a bunch of pressure from friends (in a positive way, but it's still pressure, kwim?).

On a FM related note, I'm struggling again with the hip/calf/shin thing, and for some reason have a nagging pain on the side of my foot. Need to make a chiro appointment and see if I'm really out of whack, need to get new shoes ordered and see if that helps (is it pathetic to ask my family for running shoes for my birthday?), need to get a massage referral. But today is hot yoga, so all is right with the world.

Oh, an update on the no-sugar thing: I've done it, except for Monday. No candy (even though DD1 went to a trunk-or-treat at a friend's church on Tuesday and came home with a boatload of candy). Monday, otoh, proved to me that I have no control in the face of chocolate-I had a few Hershey's kisses while working in E's classroom, had some mini candy bars at the second birth because they had no food in their fridge that I could eat and I was needing to get some calories in. I need to get my birth food supply bag restocked to avoid this problem. I do think I feel better, but it's not translating into weight loss yet.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#492 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 12:57 PM

tjsmama--I'm voting for crazy, but in a very good way.

This thread has been helpful. My mother and sister are always telling me I'm an overachiever, and while that might be true in general, I don't think I'm doing too much right now. Specifically, my mother told me this week she thinks I'm going to have a stroke at my tender age because I'm doing too much. And right now I think I'm doing what it takes to live, yk? R has one extracurricular activity (violin), P and I do choir and handbells at church, I work pt, and I'm trying to keep my mileage around 15 miles/week, give or take. How is that doing too much?

IR is on a field trip this morning, which means no afternoon kindy and we could do something else fun. I invited my mom and sister to come to the zoo or museum with us in the afternoon. Mom decided she didn't want to (she doesn't want to do anything if we're only there for a couple of hours). I get that and don't have any problems with it. But then she launched into "why don't you just stay home in the afternoon and rest?" Uh, mom, I have two kids. "Yes, but stay home and rest." But the kids will still be there. "Yes, but then you all can rest." Um, right...they'll magically take naps.

As it turns out, J has pink eye, so I don't know that we're going anywhere. And now I'm off to pick up some eyedrops from the pharmacy.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#493 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Jo- I have such a hard time reconciling things in my life sometimes.

FM- walk last night, but not much planned for today. We are volunteering at the museum to help get new work installed that requires a lot of hand sewing. I am just hoping the artist is not a crab-ass and doesn't get pissy about kids being there. Usually it is fine, but some of them are not so kind.
#494 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Jo. Hope that the discernment feels fruitful to you.

FM: I did 6m. Wait, no, 5, because my stoopid knee started hurting at about 4.5. Sigh. The first three were amazing, though! I was fast and my breathing was awesome and it was gorgeous and cold out.... perfect. There I was, running along, thinking like the supah-dork that I am, "I am so glad to be alive!"

I need to cut about another three paragraphs from my conference paper, but that's not so bad. I'm really anxious about the travel, but am trying to relax a bit. I've got a bunch of friends going to this particular conference, and am rooming with one of them, so am going to have a good time, dangit.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#495 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM

everyone!

JG: I hope your DS is feeling better and no more yucky surprises.
Gaye: yep, you are addicted to running! But a good deal is a good deal, and I'm sure you'll figure out a way to fit everything in.
Jo:
Sparkle: yeah, I Dan Zanes, too. He's cute!

T-shirt update! We are still one shirt shy of an order, but that may change as I have 2 'pending' orders (Runningmommy, did you get my message with the ordering info?). Does anyone need the info, I can forward it to you, just PM me. I'm only waiting for the checks to trickle in this week (my husband is just putting them all on my desk while I'm in Denver, so don't be surprised if they don't get cashed right away!)

So here I am in Denver! This place is really cool - both temperature-wise and just a cool city, too. I'm excited to be here and do a bit of exploring, meeting lots of new people, working out every morning in the hotel gym. I just ate an awesome breakfast burrito that was the first substantial, warm food I have had since the soup I had at home 2 days ago. Man, was I famished and was it delicious!

FM: 15 min. on the stationary bike, 30 min run/walk on the treadmill, and maybe 10 min. in the pool. I'm doing drills to help me learn to breathe on both sides.

Still staying ref. sugar-free here, too, despite a "dessert reception" last night.

OK, I better dash... have a great day everyone!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#496 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 05:52 PM

ok - wow there is a lot of posts. So I'll keep personals to and :goodvibe for those who need 'em and for those celebrating

The last couple of days have been long, esp today - SO LONG. I'm giving myself tomorrow to get more "recovered" and hoping Saturday i can check out the local gym.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#497 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM
bec

Just caught up on the last page. I've been CRAZY busy! Fall Product Sale for the Girl Scouts had to be turned in this week, and that had it's own set of insanity. Getting orders entered, chasing down parents that didn't give the right amount of money, getting money deposited, following the latest set of procedures, and just making sure the numbers all balanced (very stressful for me!). They change the procedure every.single.year, and it came with a booklet over 30 pages long with all the instructions. It was crazy. But, it's done. Oh, I also had Halloween costumes to get finished, and have one fundraiser to help take care of at the kids' school. And, AF started. Just to top it all off.

I've managed to get to the gym twice on my own, plus tri class. And, I've been walking 3-5 miles every day with the dogs!

I guess this answers whether I tend towards a busy life or not.

Gaye - I wouldn't be able to pass up a $60 full marathon, either!

Ugh, sorry so slim on the personals. I'm beat!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#498 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Today is a good example of what happens when I'm not busy. DS was still throwing up at 2:00pm. We've spent the entire day coloring, watching WAY too much TV, and napping. I ate FAR too much Halloween candy . No one wants to do anything (granted, DS still feels crappy, but still). I got nothing accomplished. DH decided we shouldn't come to IL this weekend and he'll just come home after work tomorrow night. Twenty-four hours.... down the tubes.

#499 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
But then she launched into "why don't you just stay home in the afternoon and rest?" Uh, mom, I have two kids. "Yes, but stay home and rest." But the kids will still be there. "Yes, but then you all can rest." Um, right...they'll magically take naps.
I think we must be sisters. My mom is exactly the same. She always acts all nervous about how busy I am and how I must need rest. I'm all, "Mom! I'll rest when I'm dead!"

Oh my. She could be here any time.

#500 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM

The test results are posted and I passed! I passed!

Honestly I knew I should pass but I did not want to count those baby chicks until they hatched. Now I need to decide what to do with it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#501 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Allrighty, need some nanny advice here. I interviewed candidate #2 today, and I liked her. She's 62, used to be a nurse in the 70's, worked in a preschool for one of the local school systems for years, and most recently was a nanny for twins and was suddenly let go when some daycare slots opened up unexpectedly. She was very nice, I liked her, talks a LOT, seemed a teeny bit desperate, but really seemed to understand the flexibility required and that I can't guarantee a minimum number of hours each week. Lives with her daughter, so making the rent each month is probably not as big a concern. My brain tells me to hire her. The other candidate, who I interviewed yesterday, is in her 20's and a new grad with an elementary ed degree who hasn't been able to find a teaching job. She really interacted with DS and seemed to have a lot of energy. I don't know her situation entirely and why she would be able to afford to work for me, kwim? Which worries me. Also, that she could potentially find a teaching job next year. But I really liked her. GAH. I'm probably going to make an offer to the older one, but anyone have any thoughts?

I planned to run or go for a bike ride today, but it just didn't happen. Oh well. I feel like I got zilch done today, between two (yes, two) trips to Costco and the interview. Sigh. Oh well...hoping to get a run in tomorrow after class. And now, it's time to study for tomorrow's dosage calc test. You know, because we just did this in our last class, and now we have to do it again for this one.

#502 of 554 Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM

WOOOOHOOOOOOO, mommajb!!!!!!!!!

#503 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 AM

mommajb - Congrats!!

tjsmama - You're crazy. But it's ok, that's what we love about you! I think your link was broken - look at the one I put on the race list and make sure I linked to the right race you're running. In your situation, I'd go with the older lady. I think the younger one, regardless of what she says, is going to need to keep looking for a better job using her degree. Here's my un-asked for advice (having spent 22 years trying to keep my kids well looked after when I couldn't be there!) - feel free to ignore if you like. IME, if you need a professional, reliable, caregiver, you have to treat the job like a professional, real job. I pay my dcp a minimum number of hours a week (actually, because of my crazy job, I pay her full time, every single week, regardless of how much I need her because I might need her more), and I pay her vacation, just like she would get from a real job, and we pay her extra if we need her more than 40 hours (which happens only rarely). I need to be able to count on her all the time, and I don't need her constantly looking around for a job that is more reliable. I've had much better luck going that way then trying to get someone to put up with my crazy schedule and variable hours. In your situation, I think a nanny-share may well work great, so you could offer a better salary and better stability and not be out of pocket so much yourself. We're finally on the downswing with daycare - just one school aged child left in!

KJosyln78 - did you ever get some MRI results and a plan?

JayGee - that just really bites that your big weekend got so derailed. Poor ds, he must feel really bad, too. Hopefully having dad home will help cheer him up.

1jooj - Many hugs as you figure out the big picture. It's hard. There are so many little things that pile up on you, sometimes you turn around and you're so far from what you imagined/planned/wished for and really need to be doing.

NRR - I feel like I need to do some big picture thinking, too. I'm really not particularly happy with my current job situation. I love my clients (for the most part) and love being a small town doc, but I'm not happy with our current management (my practice was purchased by our hospital system 6 mos ago) and I'm not happy with the direction our administration is moving in the hospital. I feel like some of what I love about practice is being chipped away at, and the things I most dislike are becoming a bigger and bigger part of my day. I've always been interested in some day teaching, preferably in a residency setting, and think I'd have fairly good luck finding an academic job. On the other hand, I have 3 children still in school, a dh with a difficult job to replace, and even thinking about looking into moving seems so difficult. My oldest dd is a junior in high school, and taking her out of her school at this late game just seems like a bad idea. Sigh. I think many of us need some kind of big decision fairy to drop by.

I am taking off an hour early tomorrow from work. My girls and I are going to see the So You Think You Can Dance tour tomorrow night. We watch the show sort of obsessively, and they are excited. Caroline and I just got a box in the mail today, with matching Hanna dresses for her and I and she was so happy - she wants us to go in our matching dresses (which are supposed to be for the holiday season)

RR - Still plugging away. I'm running a 10K next Sunday. I'd really like to break an hour. There. I said it in public. Surely, if I just did a half in 2:07+, I can break an hour in a 10K, right? 5 miles tonight, on the treadmill. Tomorrow, guts and butts. My instructor is leaving the Y There is supposedly a replacement for Mondays and Fridays, but not yet for Wednesdays, which are my big days to work out. I'll give the new instructor a try and see what happens, I guess.
#504 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Good Morning! Thankfully, the yucks appear to have left our house and everyone is awake, happy, and enjoying a morning off from school !

mommajb ~ congratulations on passing and to you!!!!!

tjsmama ~ I'd go with the older candidate, personally, just for stability's sake. Good luck on your test.

drjen ~ yes, those giant life decision faries sure need to come visit the dingoes . You CAN do a 10K in under a hour. Especialy with a half that fast. Your runs have been speedy recently and you are in great shape. I bet you'll come in well under 60 minutes .

DH is coming home tonight. Just in time too, because Mama needs a run. Bad.

#505 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM

mommajb! I hope you are getting a lift from this great news!

Gaye, drjen is so wise. I would also go with the older candidate, and I think, too, the nanny share might we worth its benefits. Not only can you share the cost, but if you share, maybe that near-guarantee of hours can help retain the nanny. Retention is hard everywhere, and while the economy is providing a lot of candidates, it's also providing a lot of instability. The more stability you can create, the more likely you'll have a long-term nanny. Good luck!

bec, God bless you mamas who step up for these jobs. Sincerely!

drjen, a close person's (rn at a family practice) employer is revamping its structure to a "medical home" model. I don't know what it means, but for her, it means a job change. Several rns will very closely work with patients who have top-ranked health problems (based on the stats for their practice). It seems to be a way to try to keep docs doctoring, nurses nursing, and so on, but I don't know how it plays out IRL. Guess we'll see. There's such a need for good family docs. I hope you can find the place that feeds your soul and your family.

Plady, word to your mother.

I took the kids to the Y and told them to swim for an hour while I worked out. Ds refused to go swimming, so dd couldn't, and they basically wasted an hour while I worked out. I did 10min on the arc trainer (hate it, makes my feet cramp), 2mi on the tm, and then 20 min on the bike. My feet are feeling kind of plantar fasciitis-y, so I am trying to train carefully.

I also switched from reg Vit D to the fish oil with D. I don't like how much ibuprofen I take. I feel like I want to just clean things up, and I should probably tap into some resources to structure the diet some. See a trend here? Every little thing...I feel like I need to do just a little better. I'm on the right track, I think, and I'm not feeling doomed or devastated, just challenged. Remember, I deal with SAD, so...maybe this is part of this year's manifestation. Still, need to bake my flaxseed bread, get my Omega-3s and D, and work out 5 days a week.

Hanging in, anyway. Feeling loved, here and by friends and dh and family, and that helps a lot.
#506 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
bec

JayGee - Yay for the sickies leaving! Does this mean your weekend is back on? If it isn't, I hope you are able to do something fun locally with your family. I know you have been living for the weekends as time to reconnect and BE a family again. Not too much longer!

DrJen - You can ABSOLUTELY run a sub 60 minute 10k! Especially with as fast as you have been lately!

Gaye - I would go with the older lady, too. It seems that her situation is better suited to give you the stability you need with the instability of your schedule. Plus, it sounds like she has a lot of good experience.

mommajb - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Are you going to celebrate?

The big kids have gotten off to school in their costumes, and I will go over later to watch the parade. Then, after they get home, I am taking all the kids to the workplace of my neighbor (I watch her daughter before and after school) to trick or treat at her company. It will be fun, but hectic. I am very pleased with the kids costumes this year. Katie is a scarecrow, Abby is a bee, and Emily is a water bottle.

I'm thinking of a rest day, other than dog walking. I haven't had one for a while, so I'm about due! I'm hoping to weather the Halloween candy onslaught, but, I also know my limitations. Maybe I'll start that sugar free kick after the weekend.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#507 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM

I'm doing strength training again this morning, and a short walk planned for this afternoon. Some exercise I did this week left my leg/shin in pretty intense pain. So, I am hoping to start running again next week.

Dh agreed to do the Warrior Dash with me! Maybe I can get MIL in on it, too?

Mommajb! How exciting!

Bec- Enjoy your rest day! How is the pup?
#508 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Here's my un-asked for advice (having spent 22 years trying to keep my kids well looked after when I couldn't be there!) - feel free to ignore if you like. IME, if you need a professional, reliable, caregiver, you have to treat the job like a professional, real job. I pay my dcp a minimum number of hours a week (actually, because of my crazy job, I pay her full time, every single week, regardless of how much I need her because I might need her more)

We pay our dcp for a minimum number of hours (in our instance: Leah 20 hours a week + Erin 3 afternoons a week). I don't usually *need* 3 afternoons a week for Erin and she's better off coming home than daycare. But the quality of care is worth it. Leah's usually there ~30 hours a week, possibly more next semester as dh's job is on the upswing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
NRR - I feel like I need to do some big picture thinking, too. I'm really not particularly happy with my current job situation.
I've been wondering....we used to hear fantastic stories while you were labor sitting and we just haven't heard much. Maybe you could move here. I forget exactly what dh does down there in Chi-town land, but there's the other end of a big experiment up here in Minnesota....just saying...

I had a week. I know where TCIF comes from after this week.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#509 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Good morning!

mommajb--Congratulations! And I hope your birthday is great and you do something fun today.

tjsmama--Good luck with the new nanny situation. The older woman sounds like she has the potential to be more flexible, so that would be good.

doctorjen--I hope you'll be able to figure out what you need to do about your job. I'm sorry that the sale of your practice has meant changes for the worse.

JayGee--It's so great that everyone is finally feeling better in your household!

1jooj--I'm glad you're taking steps to feel more balanced and stay on top of the SAD. I've heard it's a tricky thing to work around.

bec--I'm glad you got the costumes done! How did you manage the water bottle one?

I finished reading "The Explosive Child" and found myself feeling profoundly grateful for our minimal problems. And I managed to pull out a few key bits of wisdom. I tabbed the pages; now I just need to get DH to read them and hope we'll be on the same page.

Yesterday I ran 7.5, and I'm a bit sore today. It's a rest day, anyway, so I'm hoping by tomorrow my legs will have recovered. Today is DD's school Halloween parade and her class party. I need to get on top of the class email lists, because this is the third party (and DS' on Monday will be the fourth) where I've had to provide fruit. Expensive, time-consuming, thankless fruit. Next time a party is coming up, I'm going to stalk my email so I can be that mom who gets the message first and says "Oh, I'd love to help. I'll bring napkins."

So, I spent far too long last evening slicing watermelon into thin slices, then cutting out ghosts with a cookie cutter. Because I'm dorky like that.

Enjoy the weekend, and the candy-fest, for all who celebrate!
#510 of 554 Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM

mommajb

Another vote for the older sitter. My first gut instinct was "the younger one is going to be looking for a teaching job from day one". No matter how much she loves your kiddo, she's going to be trying to use her degree and find full time work. I also think that paying for a minimum number of hours is vital to keeping someone with you long term. One doula I know (a single mom) pays her nanny per hour plus a base of $x per month for the on call time. If she works those hours, half of her hourly rate comes from that money, if she doesn't work she has a bit money for staying flexible. My stepson is currently changing jobs because his schedule fluctuated so wildly. It made it really hard for him to budget and plan his life.

DocJen, I'd like to suggest the lovely University of Washington. In all seriousness, I hear you on the stress over even the thought of moving. We've talked about it several times, even just to get a new house, and it gives me panic attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

So, I spent far too long last evening slicing watermelon into thin slices, then cutting out ghosts with a cookie cutter. Because I'm dorky like that.

Enjoy the weekend, and the candy-fest, for all who celebrate!
People bring FRUIT to a kid's Halloween party? Who knew? Yes, I'm still bitter about the menu at E's party. Decorated sugar cookies, candies for bingo games, chips. I signed up to bring juice pouches and people seemed a bit put out that I brought the Hansen's natural ones.....I was asked "do we need to make sure E gets one of these? ". Ya know, kids aren't going to know the difference between my 100% juice/water blend, no sugar added stuff and the HFCS crap, but I'm going to do my part to give them less of it.

You are welcome to provide your dorky snacks to my kids any time.

I'm sitting here debating a run on the flat trail (to see how my leg does without my neighborhood hills) vs a spin class. Part of me is thinking that my leg has been flaring worse when I'm spending time on the bike and wonders if I've been pointing blame in the wrong place. The other part of me thinks a run is a bad idea- yesterday was supposed to be a yoga day, the class got cancelled, so I ended up doing 45 minutes on the stairmill, which led to some very tired legs. Sigh. I'm really overthinking this. What was that saying again?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page