Mothering Forum banner

October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos

17K views 553 replies 29 participants last post by  Nickarolaberry 
#1 ·
This is the thread for all interested in forward motion, from very beginning runners to Boston qualifiers, and all in between. We love to chat, running and otherwise, so be prepared to jump in and move fast if you're new! Some of us have met each other IRL, others are just online people. New people are welcome all the time.

Usually DrJen maintains a race list....

Since some of us have met in real life, and that necessitates exchange of personal information, we sometimes communicate via a yahoo group to coordinate addresses, etc. that we might not want to post out for the whole world to see. We still use that yahoo group, we let new members in (fairly freely), but keep it private. If you want into the group you basically have to PM me or mamabeth (or whoever the third moderator is, I forget) and you're in. There's not a whole lot of traffic on that, but you will see us occasionally refer to the yahoo site/email/group).

Someone suggested I wrote this. I'm sure it is not all mine:

Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour

See less See more
#403 ·
Mel~I want a shirt, been camping for a few days. My question to anyone who might know (poppy?) is whether the v neck fits anything like the first years?? I can't wear the first year shirt as the vneck is too choking to me.

I've got to tend to laundry and dinner so not much time to write now. Did just get caught up (quickly) on four pages (or was it five??).

Hope to be back later!

HBM~how did you have a washcloth on your run??

mamajb and eksmom~you doing okay?

kerc~two bags of skittles! yikes, I'd feel like crap!

geo~lookin' good for ya mama!

bec~whoo hooo on your run!!!

jaygee~how was the race??

Kris~
mama

Plady~yup, so understand that kind of morning AND the time invested in cleaning vs it being clean. grr.

Drjen~baby catching booyaa!

okay, dh is clomping around upstairs in a grouchy mood (who knows why this time
) so I better get up there and "do stuff".

#404 ·
HBM Way to go!
I am off for 14 tomorrow, went and finally bought a real hydration belt which makes me feel like a total goober when I wear it (try it on) but will probably come in very handy. It's a 4 bottle Fuel Belt.

Kris

Plady. Been there.
Screamed at ds in Target today because he took the brand new bottle of water I'd just bought him and tossed it in a trash can because he decided he'd rather have a hot chocolate from Starbucks.
This after 3 different store errands and an hour of grocery shopping with 3 children. I was definitely not happy.

I think I have about 15 loads of wash to fold. Anyone have a laundry folding fairy for me?

#405 ·
JayGee - Dang, woman! Rock on with your bad self!!!

Plady -
I know. I've been there, done that, have the t-shirt, and it still sucks. Being gentle with yourself is the first key to being gentle with others. And, believe me, those 3 year olds know how to push the buttons!

HBM - Congrats on your 14 miler! That was a huge breakthrough distance for me!

RM - My DH has been a touchy grouch all day, too.

Nic - If you find that laundry fairy, would you send her my way?

Big day today. Katie had her speech challenge today, where she memorized and presented three poems by Carl Sandburg. One of them was Arithmetic and is hysterical for and to my numbers challenged child. We both got a tickle by it. She did an amazing job again (she participated last year, too), and I'm just so proud of her for working so hard to memorize these poems on top of a lot of homework recently and have the poise to present them with such feeling, clarity and diction. It was awesome seeing her succeed so unilaterally. We also had swim lessons, and I needed to organize the Fall Product Sale for Girl Scouts (they are due tomorrow and I hadn't done anything).

After she had her swim lesson, Abby puked all over the waiting area.
Again, she's just fine, now. Interestingly, on Monday, she had had kiwi at lunch. Today, guess what she had with lunch? And, she hasn't had any between then and now. Guess who isn't going to be having kiwi for a long time?!

#406 ·
Just a moment of frustration.

I want to go to the gym. Both the adult males in this house have decided that they want to nap. Guess who wins.

Bah.

#407 ·
Cool - after hours on MDC today, I discovered a "Mobile" option. This means much faster loads which means I can keep up way easier. The 10-minute-per-page previous feed was tortuous.

I'm sorry - did someone have a race today? I think I missed a race and I can't toggle back. Hmmm. I'll post and look.

Bec, I forgot about Sandburg. G has had to memorize a poem a week since Jan. We've gone thru Silverstein, Prelutzsky & Rbt Frost. I think we'll find some of his poems next.

Nic & HBM, that's so cool about the hotels.
sup

Ok let's see how long this reply takes to load.
Posted via Mobile Device

#408 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

RR (
) ~ I ran the Jill Behrman 5K this morning, my first race since last fall (the same race, actually). Weather was cool, cloudy and perfect. Get this ~ I ran a 24:09, and won the W40-44 AG
!!!! This Dingo is coming BACK!!!!!!!! First mile is super hilly and crowded and I passed 1 mile at 8:25, mile 2 was exactly 16:00 so good pacing throughout. My leg feels fine and the race was great fun! Now to spend my $15 GC at the running store
Oh my, JG, that is an Awesome report!!
I am so amazed and proud of your perseverance through all those injury woes.
What an inspiration. Maybe there's hope for me, too.

Posted via Mobile Device

#409 ·
Geo--Hooray for tenure! Congratulations on being recognized by your colleagues; you deserve it.

Gaye--I'm glad that school continues to go so well for you.

Kris--I'm so sorry about your grandmother; it's so hard to see someone you love in pain and possibly dying. I hope you and the rest of your family are doing okay.

memiles--I would love to go sugar-free, but find the idea overwhelming. What do you eat? I'd love to hear your menus. If I decide to go sugar-free, I'm going to have to stop watching Food Network shows on candy. Hmm, how DO they make a Snickers Bar? Probably not something I need to be watching or thinking about at 10:30 at night.

Mel--You have my tee shirt order, right? Now I just have to do the paypal thing? Tomorrow; DH says he has an account I can use for it.

Plady--I'm so sorry that your morning started off so lousy. My DS is 4.5 and often starts off his mornings with lots of screaming and fuss. It drives me crazy.

Bec--Sorry for the messy kiwi lesson--eek! At least you seem to be able to identify the problem.

JayGee-Awesome news! You totally rock!

I'm totally grouchy today. I waited tables last night so didn't get home until late and didn't get into bed until even later, so I only got about four hours of sleep before I had to get up again, to go back to the restaurant for a meeting/lecture about how we're not doing enough. It was infuriating. I was glad I had to leave early to take DD to soccer.

Then come to find out that DS gave DH trouble this morning so DH didn't manage to get him to soccer while I was at my meeting. ARGH! I got the kid up, fed him, and dressed him down to his cleats, plus put extra clothes and his water bottle in the car. You can't convince, cajole, or bribe the kid onto the field?

I'm trying my best to let it go. And to not let my attitude affect the rest of the family. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be more cheerful.
Probably my day ought to start with a run.

#410 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Mel--You have my tee shirt order, right? Now I just have to do the paypal thing? Tomorrow; DH says he has an account I can use for it.
I've got it! I'll pm you the paypal info.

Oh, and sorry I did not check into MDC yesterday and my mailbox filled up. If anyone's PM got bounced back... try me again today.

I didn't run yesterday because my knee is warm and sooooo slightly swollen. Just a tad puffy, doesn't hurt, but the heat and the puffiness make me worried and so I feel like taking it slowly. That, and I do have a wicked sore throat this weekend.

Bah. I've got work to do anyway. Plus the kids just got a new Wii dancing game that they love, AND an old friend brought us their old Foosball table! So the kids are so happily dancing and playing, I think we will just have a home day.

#411 ·
Way to go JG!!! Woot!

HBM I am way excited for our Dingo Disney weekend. I'm coming in on Sat. and leaving early Monday. I hope they have bathrooms/porta potties by the corrals. There is No. Way. I can go from 3:30-whenever I finish a marathon without a bathroom break.

So I did my 14 miler this morning. Let me just preface by saying I have just woken up from my second -- yes second -- nap of the day.
Took one earlier, right after lunch, then got up, folded the many loads of laundry, and went back to bed for another hour. Guess I'm tired.

The first 12 were actually quite fine. I did kind of a figure 8 arrangement so I left my water etc. in my driveway. That was okay but truthfully I needed hydration and gel around mile 8 but was still doing the first loop. By the time I got back to my house at mile 10 I was desperate and I took some but it was kind of late. The last 2 miles were really hard. I walked a lot the last half mile
It was already getting pretty hot.

Luckily I did miles 11-13 along a stretch of private road on Casey key that goes by a beach so I did get some nice breezes and soul-comforting views even though I was really uncomfortable.

I kept thinking to myself, why did I ever think this was a good idea? and I must say I'm worried about doing the rest of the long runs, not to mention the marathon itself. I can do it, right?! Just the sheer number of hours in the training is kind of daunting, now that I have 3 kids, a full time job, and a dh who has his own triathalon goals to train for.

The other thing is...I can't stop eating today (when I'm awake)! I had a great breakfast, two scrambled eggs, a full bagel, and a 'hash' made of leftover patipan squash, onions, and purple peppers. Delicious. Since then I've had two lunches (tuna sandwich with kale, cottage cheese, challah with butter, about 4 clementines, a banana, and 3 hersheys kisses) and am still looking around for what I can eat! I'm dreaming of a root beer float from this ice cream store in Sharon, MA (Crescent Ridge) but that's kind of far from FL so .... hmmm. Off to graze.

#412 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
HBM I am way excited for our Dingo Disney weekend. I'm coming in on Sat. and leaving early Monday. I hope they have bathrooms/porta potties by the corrals. There is No. Way. I can go from 3:30-whenever I finish a marathon without a bathroom break.

I kept thinking to myself, why did I ever think this was a good idea? and I must say I'm worried about doing the rest of the long runs, not to mention the marathon itself. I can do it, right?! Just the sheer number of hours in the training is kind of daunting, now that I have 3 kids, a full time job, and a dh who has his own triathalon goals to train for.

First, I'm sure they will have porta-potties. And it's Disney, which is high class, so they'll probably have toilet paper, too.
Did you see that you can pay an extra $85 to stay in a warm tent with TV's, food, fuel, drinks etc. until the start of the race and again afterward. Sure would be nice, but no way would I pay that much. Of course it was sleeting on them last year...

I am also feeling pretty overwhelmed by the marathon. It's especially tricky figuring out how to fit in the long runs in December. Every weekend is already booked with activities, many in the mornings. I'm also a little nervous about how my body is going to hold up. I've had a lot of little nagging injuries already and I'm trying to take care of myself and push myself at the same time, and that just doesn't seem to work.

I'm glad we're all doing this training together. At least it's not quite so lonely! And I can't tell you how many times I've fantasized about running through the castle!!!

#420 ·
Kris, I'm so sorry.

JayGee!
YOU GO mama!

So today I skipped out on church to prepare for a big rehearsal tonight, choreographing 56 people in a song with 17 different props. It was worth it, I think the kids really got it and it looked just like I'd imagined

Now if they'd just remember all the lyrics to the song!

#421 ·
Kris.

I am way way waaaaaay behind on personals with no way to catch up.
So, just know that I
you all and am thinking about you all.

I feel like I'm drowning right now. Last week was pretty rough school-wise, and it's not going to get any easier from here on. In fact, it's about to get significantly worse. I just spent an hour filling out DUMB learning assessment tools that are due for my class that starts on Tuesday. Ya know, if this were our first college class ever, I could see it, but really? We're essentially seniors, and most of us have previous degrees. Do we really need to find out if we're a visual, aural, reading/writing, or kinesthetic kind of learner at this point?
Especially when you've assigned us 12,000 other things to do at the same time...

On the bright side, it was a fairly good weekend. Bottomless mimosas after class yesterday
then took DS to the town center for trick or treating (where he got WAY too much candy). A run this morning in some beautiful fall weather, took DS to Bug-A-Boo at the Butterfly Pavilion (not nearly as good as 2 years ago, but fun) and then carved our pumpkins.

Oh, and we are back to square one on the nanny search.
I interviewed a girl I liked on Thursday and was torn between her and one of the women I interviewed last week, so I asked XH to talk to both to get a second opinion. #2 had a previous job offer, but was willing to give us a day so X could talk to both. He did a phone interview with each yesterday afternoon, and we decided on #1, so I let #2 know to take the other job and called #1 to offer her the position. Left her a voicemail. She emails XH this afternoon to tell him that she took another job! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Sometime in the 3-4 hours between when XH interviewed her and I called to offer her the job, she takes another job that she never mentioned to either of us was a possibility?! And then the kicker is that apparently this other job wants to do a working interview, so she wrote in her email that if that job doesn't work out, she'd be happy to take our job after Nov. 5. WTH. XH replied that we won't be waiting for her. Sigh. So back to square one. I listed the job on another website, and am actually contemplating craigslist. I really don't want to go there, but I may have to. I am SO SO SO grateful for X's cousin right now.

#422 ·
Kris, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

JG, you are back and strong!

Geo, you rock and you know it. Way to go and congratulations.

Plady, I wish we could do a Dingo night out to see this awesome performance.

Gaye, may the best nanny win. You have my sympathies as this process appears to be tortuous right now.

Nic and HBM, you can do it! Rather than focusing on how much I had run or what was left I just thought of each run as a nice morning run. As in, I ran the marathon thinking, "I just need to finish this run and then I'll meet Wendy for lunch." Enjoy the training!

Oh my, I have been low. I thought it was all in my head, then it was my body/health, then my dh and dc began to fall apart along with my computer. Then it was fall break and everyone was here all.day.long. They are back in school, I can begin to clean my house, I have been to the gym, I got a new laptop, I am making a hair appointment, etc. I am getting a firm grip and resolve to maintain it. I can only control so much and I will never actually be caught up on anything so I need to marshall all my coping skills. (I hope I can sound so positive 12 hours from now.)

#423 ·
Mommajb - You're out the other side now mama, you can tell when you look back and marvel at the low point.
Hang with us, remember there's always someone here having a good day who can pull those of us who aren't along on the wake of joy.

I wish I could have all my Dingos here for the show. I haven't been so consumed by a project since my first pregnancy I think. I'm having a good time too despite last week needing to snarl and bark at some of the kids.

Gaye -
I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent nanny! ANd how much work you are juggling and still managing to fit in amazing workouts. I am humbled by your energy woman.

RM - Speaking of feeling humble I just slapped down the $ for the gymboss interval timer and I'm crawling back to bodyrock.tv for some behavioral modification.

Eks -

Lofty - How's your friend?

Nic -
I remember those post long run food fests! Ahh, such a nice feeling to feel that replenishment happening kwim?

HBM - Hey, if you have to do a lot of walking in the marathon it's just savoring the experience more completely. That's what I told myself in SF anyway and it worked.

Okay, I've been up for 2 hours and had coffee so I have no more excuses not to get down and sweaty, I'm going to go for the old 100's routine of pushups, crunches, and squats. I'd better add in lunges come to think of it, Feb 5 is going to be here before I'm ready.

#424 ·
Hey Dingo Mamas,

I've been reading along but too ADD to stop and reply. Always sending out prayers to those who need it and amazed at the accomplishments both RR and non.

Dh and I ran a 10k yesterday. I have a pretty nasty sinus infection and did not realize how bad I felt until I was in the run. I never felt good which us not like me for a race. I ended up averaging 9:23 per mile which I'm fine with.

Hubby wants me to do a trail run with him in Nov. I've never done one. This run has 3 courses you can chose, the hardest course is the shortest and the easiest is no more than 7. I should probably do the easiest since I need to get my miles up for my 1/2 in Feb. Any opinions or ideas from you trail runners?

#426 ·
Kris -
I'm sorry for your loss. It is really wonderful that you had such a close relationship with her and that you are mature enough to appreciate it! (I didnt and wasnt and now I wish I had been..)

Mommajb - what a whirlwind of demands on you. Im glad you are feeling like you caught a breath. I hope they continue to come more and more easily

Gaye -
that's all I have to say on your behalf.. That stinks. Im sort of neurotically conscientious, and I have a very hard time understanding people who can be flaky seemingly without any conscience. wtf? As for craigslist, its good to scan now and then. I found a babysitter for dd2 who turned into one of my closest friends (she wanted to watch one other kid on her home a few hours a week with her son). sometimes there is gold in that dross

Plady - i too wish I could be there. You sound so dynamic and organized and passionate. Its been fun to hear your stories

Im doing wierd. I've been in the midst of what seems to be a very cliche mid-life funk. Done having kids, done moving around, a lot of "who am I and what's next?" kind of questions. How to find meaning and passion. I'm lately thinking a lot about where we live and not sure about it. Dh and I agree that if we didnt have kids we would pack tomorrow, but they are involved in things we value for them (schools, friends, teams) that we dont want to pull them out of, and yet, I frequently think "really; this is where Im going to have lived?" The problem with being on the fence is that it prevents me from feeling emotionally connected which makes me feel, duh, disconnected, and I am so so tired of feeling disconnected (seems to be my default mental state regardless). Im not depressed, because I feel completely grateful and happy with our lives, just ... wierd ... like something is missing, or something isnt right, or something ....

FM: hiking yesterday with the family and Daisy. It was
compared to last week. She is doing great! I am starting to fall in love, but she's so mellow I think she might be sick
How can a 6 mo. old puppy be this mellow?! Making a vet appt. for general stuff anyway ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.