October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
the same children who can barely be pulled from bed M-F at 6:45 are somehow able to be dressed and in the kitchen at 6 on Saturday.
Indeed. We have the same issue here.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Working back...

Bec: Happy B-day!

Jo: I'm sorry that the whole thing is such a hassle, and that they're clearly not. listening. to what you want and need for your kids' full flourishing in school. Or don't want/need, in this case.

Gaye: Damn, I am sorry. Hope that SupahNanny emerges soon from the chaos. (Not Super Nanny - that lady is a little scary - but SupahNanny.)

CFG: I tend to divide a 10k into three 2m runs. So I pick a pace/mood/goal and then shift gears at the 2m mark. I'd be inclined to do a slow/medium/fast plan, but my ability to start out slow is nortoriously underdeveloped. Have a great run!

Real - I tend to get over-invested in holiday cards and have not even begun the last few years. I mean, I've hand-made 100+ cards many, many years and it's stupid to get myself all tied up in knots about it. That said, we are a pretty religious (Christian) household, and I'm offended by overly goopy "the little baby Jesus blessed us with a new SUV!" cards/letters. I tend to send the same ones to all my folks, religious of all stripes and non-religious alike, and it usually involves a kid picture, a short letter updating them on our year, and some religious line in the card that I regard as ecumenical, like "Peace on Earth." A friend sends only New Year's cards, to avoid the religious difficulties.

RR: I got a decent 3m in. Leg/knee a bit twingy, so I decided not to overdo it and am going to be really yoga-focused and do short runs for the next couple of weeks. I'd like to avoid PT and think I can do it if I just stretch and strengthen.

Life R: I'm not totally underwater.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM

When I had sent out holiday cards, I always went with "Happy Holidays".

As a non religious person who doesn't celebrate christmas in the commercial sense either, it is a really hard time of year for me, too. Most of our family is Christian, and that makes it harder. I love family meals (extended family), but there are always some conversations about the how/why/whynot of my lack of religion. (And how they wish I would change)

I'm dressed and just waiting for DH to get me some coffee. Then I'm running! I'm shooting for just 30 minutes of whatever I can get. I need to do it more than I need to worry about run/walk times.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
That said, we are a pretty religious (Christian) household, and I'm offended by overly goopy "the little baby Jesus blessed us with a new SUV!" cards/letters.

oh my word, this made me laugh so hard penelope!

ok, collecting myself to say - i'll probably scrap mrs fox because it needs much more work to make it look decent and it seems the majority, thus far, prefer charlie's angels. (which also needs work, by the way. the arms, etc)

i'll try to come up with another option this weekend if someone would not order a shirt if it has the CA art?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Good morning Dingos!

Mommajb - Shingles! Could that be part of the malaise too? Or is it yet another weight? I hope you start getting taken care of immediately!

Gaye - That is totally lame of the nanny. Could you explain to her that if she could give you two weeks you could give her a recommendation but if not no way? Or is it already too late to try it? for the right one to come along!

Poppy - I love them both, and as much as I prefer the simple 's' I agree that going around with the rebel spelling is not who I want to be!

Jo - Even though there is no Muslim winter equivalent could your kids (and any other muslim kids) maybe offer to recite a prayer for the concert? (And in the process explain that the season has no particular significance to muslims while other times of the year do). On one hand it's a drag to feel your children have to be drafted to educate people but on the other, children have an edge in that arena because people who might otherwise be resistant will presumably be more respectful to sweet little kids and learn something despite themselves. And, it would allow them to be involved in the activity in a constructive way. However it plays out I hope you get some real respect for your decision.

And - I'm never going to get the hang of holiday cards if I have to start thinking about it in October!!!

CFG - Happy racing today!

Today is a day off. DH is training to be a firefighter so he's gone 8-5:30 every weekend this fall (his test is scheduled to be at the same time as my opening night performance) but today the FD is doing its big Safety Fair so we get to go and see him in all his glory. then tonight I'm really excited because it's my Bunco group night. The woman hosting tonight throws these crazy over-the-top parties because she's trying to advertise her party planning genius and tonight is a costume party. I'm going as a corpse bride. I got a totally super-sequined wedding gown and long ass veil from the the theatre's costume shop and I'm going to do skull makeup. I haven't been anything creepy for Halloween in forever so I'm really looking forward to tonight! It's also kind of fun to have such a weddingy wedding dress as my real one was super understated and left much to be desired.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM

I have no idea what is happening right now. I have one applicant for the job, who (whom? I never know which one to use ) I'm not overly thrilled with. MIL may not be able to fly out until at least Monday, which does NOT help for Monday morning. I have a friend who offered on FB that she's available MWF, but I had to leave her a voicemail to see if she's actually available for THIS Monday, and XH's cousin (who lives here) may have lost her job and be available, but have no idea. XH apparently sent her a message. So now we wait, I guess. And he's being kind of weird, like sounding like he may not even fly back tonight like he's supposed to because "something happened this week that put him on edge and it's comforting being at home". Oh well. Just gotta keep the faith that something will work out.

On the bright side, the 5k this morning was awesome! Super low-key and laid back, and SMALL. Maybe 50 people? 75 tops! And I smoked it...sub-30 pushing the stroller! Official time was 29:45, I think. Garmin said 29:41 for 3.25 miles, not too shabby! I was way behind the fast people, but significantly faster than the group behind me. I have no idea if we get placements or anything for it, so I have no idea if I'll ever find out how I actually did comparatively. I mean, I never filled anything out or anything. The guy had my name because I emailed him, but I just showed up, gave him my $20, and he gave me my bib and my shirt. Like I said, super low-key!

And now, planted on the couch, probably for the majority of the day, to watch IM Kona! I'm kind of disappointed that Chrissie Wellington dropped out (apparently she's sick), but still psyched to watch my friend Sonja kick some a$$!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Great race, Gaye! I just saw that about Chrissie Wellington. Bummer. Hope your friend Sonja kicks some Kona butt! I don't know anyone racing this year, unfortunately.

I rode about 18 miles this morning on empty backcountry roads, with beautiful fall leaves and the most perfect blue sky. Perfect .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 10-09-2010, 02:57 PM

plady, love that corpse bride idea! and i'm also laughing between the lines about your dh firefighting. Love y'all so much!!

Poppy, talk to me about the Charlie's Angels and pretend I'm as slow as that sounds. The left is a woman catching a baby and the right is a woman with a stethoscope???? The middle one has weights. You asked about the right hand. I don't know. Something to do with swimming? Bicycling? Yoga? Maybe that's over-reaching...
Big thanks to you for working it up, though! Wish I could watch you work. I bet that would be fun!

Jooj, sorry about the whole holiday thing. I was raised as a Christian who did not practice Christmas (because Jesus didn't and there's no Biblical precedent.) How weird is that? I had to explain why I couldn't be in a Christmas play or sing Christmas songs, too. Just putting children in those awkward positions is so tough! This was another reason why I loved teaching ESL. We celebrated EVERY holiday tradition - Tet, Hannukah, Ramadan, Dia de Los Muertos, Easter... Without a doubt, every single kid loved knowing about other's practics and not feeling in the dark or ignorant and also loved having their moment to share and shine!

Still stretching my stupid groin and trying to not overcompensate in other places. We are working on numerous outdoor small projects today: railing on treehouse, door on pumphouse, new hammock, boys' clubhouse, etc. We are having such a bad drought that dust is everywhere indoors. I'm going mad trying to keep it out while hanging clothes on the line. For some reason, all I can think about is the Oklahoma dustbowl depression days.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Tjsmama, on your race today!!

Go Cornflake girl!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Lofty- ha! Ok here goes...
Lefty - sure, she's catching a baby (should I draw one? ) and she's a barefoot runner
Middle- weights
Righty- she's holding a race medal! That looks like a stethoscope - ha! I was going to make that better along with her other hand ..maybe she should be looking at her garmin? She also wears running shoes.

So....other ideas? I'm raring to go but am somehow tapped for ideas at the moment. Not a great combo

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 10-09-2010, 03:41 PM

She's holding a medal, of course!! That should tell you how long it's been since I've held one! It all makes sense, now. I think someone (MAMABETH?) said she liked the Amazing to come last and... maybe bigger???? How would that look? Ms. Fox is still very cool! Thank you again for working on these! I haven't bought one in years, and I miss them.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Serial posting...

Jo, I think about WWOOFers all the time. I think if we decide to expand, we'll have to do something like that. Is there a WWOOF farm near you where you can visit and see how it works? I accidentally came across a WWOOF site when going to a presentation at a sustainable farm about a year ago. I met some workers who took me back to their quarters. Whoah, talk about humble!!! Sorta blew my mind. It was basically a row of platform bunks on one wall and, I think, only screen around the whole thing with maybe a tin roof. I'm pretty sure I took a picture but I'm not sure how to dig it of the old file that's on a back-up drive. I wonder if the website has pix of it. We sat long into the night around a campfire with a group of maybe a dozen WWOOFers and it was so fun, so cool. Made me want to be young again. These kids (students mostly) just basically travel around the country doing farmwork in exchange for a place to stay and something to put on their resumes. Many had also traveled to other countries. When I first read the description of WWOOFers, I thought: no way. Who's going to do that? But I was surprised. Pretty cool, actually. There's a farm in upstate NY that also uses them in order to run their CSA.

We are having such a bad drought that my uncle, who owns/runs a nursery as his sole livelihood, hasn't even done his fall planting yet b/c he can't keep everything alive. He's got a bunch of peach trees that he will have to throw out, so we're going to try to rescue them. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:50 PM
bec

Thanks for the birthday wishes, ladies! It was a nice day.

Today, however, I tried to go out for a 30 minute run. I mean, 30 minutes used to be my warm up! Anyway, it is about 90 degrees here, and I was running in the sun, and nearly ran myself into heat stroke in less than 10 minutes. My leg was cramping, I was hot and thirsty, and I was starting to get nauseous. I ambled home, am icing, have downed a couple of gatorades, and am feeling better, but for a headache now.

Tomorrow, we leave early to get the puppy!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Bec, Happy Birthday!

Mommajb, Hope you feel better! Shingles, wow...ouch. Sending you good healing vibes.

Jo, right there with ya mama. This is the second year I'm confronted with this issue and still very uncomfortable how to deal with it, last year I was highly unsuccessful at it and my kids participated and belted out the Xmas songs . At least they also did the Chanukah choir, which is an anomaly since Chanukah is actually not a major holiday, but there was a festival downtown and our synagogue did a children's choir...so... Now that I also work at the same school it's a real issue from both directions. Sigh. Wanting more and more to quit and homeschool...so many reasons.

Poppy, you are awesome. Artwork is

Gaye, great race and bummer about the nanny. Hope you get someone you like soon. I eventually gave up on a nanny after the last one (three in 2 months) was caught forging checks from our accounts. At the time ds was just 2 so he started going to longer hours at preschool the days I taught.

Had a good long run this morning 12 miles in 2:10 so not too terrible. Having some weird aches and pains, I think I need to start icing and ... gasp ... buy a foam roller. Ouch.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Happy October!!!

I know you all think it's the middle of the month, but I have a huge deadline October 1, and I just finished, so yay! Welcome October! Wow, you guys post a lot in one day.

Time to begin a technology detox. I'm staying away from all buggy and infuriating software for several days now. This mama might even go for a run. I did just go spend an hour getting my hair cut. By myself. Someplace that charged more than $20 and didn't take coupons. Decent start.

The week's count: 1 dead mother board, 2 dead hard drives, 1 deadish laptop, 1 dead car, and one faculty meeting. Each accounting for several hours spent doing something other than fighting the software program to generate the document needed for me to have a job next year.

Speaking of, I love all the shirt ideas. Just no E in Dingos and we're all good. :

Cards traditionally sent around the end of one year or beginning of the next are well received as "Happy New Years" or "Peace on Earth" of "With Love, Dingo Family." Or Happy Groundhog Day I also roll my eyes at the The Good Lord Blessed Me with New Boobs letters (not far off from what we've gotten), but it never bothers me to read about someone's own personal religious sentiments. It does bother me to read opinions about how I should feel. Telling me to have a Happy Jesus Filled Holiday bothers me. Telling me you have Jesus in your heart is fine with me.

lofty, loving seeing you back

mommajb, shingles is about the last thing you need right now. I hope you find yourself a great doctor who can help the immediate and long term concerns.

Gaye, you are living my nanny nightmare. Silver lining: she gave you the weekend and told you she quit. I've seen worse. (Not that what she did was appropriate...) So far so good here, though we do find that things we consider obvious are not to her. I feel like I'm teaching her to be an adult at times... The kids love her, and she seems to show up daily.

1jooj, honestly, I'm appalled. In our school, it 97% white, and it seems like half go to the same church, and the other half go to one of three others. Our winter music program was just that: a music program with songs and poems about winter. It was great. I even enjoyed it. (Helped along by the fact that it was done in under an hour.) And no harder to put on than a program full of Christmas stuff.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Jo - sorry about the religious stuff. i remember feeling like an outsider in the midwest because we are not christian. here, our kids' school does a winter program like Geo's, where they have a song about all the holidays; divali, eid, christmas, etc. i wish this was the standard

mamajb - im so sorry! you do not need this right now. I hope it leads to not only lots of self care but lots of care from others. sad that the main caregiver needs to get sick for the people around them to realize how much they do and how much they appreciate them

Geo - happy October!

penelope - who knew you were a sistah!

Plady - enjoy the party

tjsmama - im so sorry about the nanny. I hope you find a solution for the coming week and then you are able to find a new person soon. Cingrats too on the 5k .... and since you mentioned it ....

Yes, I am a member of the grammar police, or as David Foster Wallace so wonderfully described it, a SNOOT (see "Tense Present:..." paragraph 3). The misuse of who/whom is one of my top three peeves. The other two are the him/he, as in "him and I went to...", and the winner is; ending a sentence with "at", which seems to have come to denote down-home colloquial familiarity, hence its heavy usage during the campaign by Hillary Clinton who surely knows better But I am retired

I am pretty low, holding my mental state together with dental floss and duct tape.... I want to run away to a cabin in the woods and sleep for a long long time

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Oh, sparkle, I heart you. I miss DFW so much. I have a stockpile of his books, some of which remain unread, since I know when I'm done, I'm done, yk?

Ok: back to work for me. :frazzled

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 AM

geo~I am about your technology issues. And continuing to keep my that your nanny situation does not devolve into the mess that mine has. I mean, it can't happen to TWO dingo(e)s, right?

sparkle~ at the grammar police. I'm the spelling police. And to a much lesser extent, the grammar police, I can just never remember who/whom! Sending you some ...

I'm in the "Happy Holidays" camp. I grew up pretty religious, but am not so much now, and especially now that my circle of friends includes those of non-Christian religions (), I prefer to keep it pretty neutral.

Some good news, and some hopeful news...XH's cousin IS out of work at the moment (I mean, not good news in the sense that it sucks she's unemployed, but ykwim), so she's able to help us out until we find someone permanent. AND I got an application today from a woman who sounds like freaking Mary Poppins. I mean, I hesitate to get too excited about it, but she's got a strong education philosophy, is early 40's (i.e. hopefully more stable), meshes with my discipline/activity philosophies, does not have kids of her own, etc. Will hopefully interview her Monday or Wednesday. I also had another application that sounds pretty good that I hope to interview. MIL had some wise advice. She recommended that I really just take some time to make sure I find the absolute right person this time around. I have at least the next week of childcare taken care of, and either X's cousin or MIL can do the week after as well, if necessary. So, I will take my time, interview several candidates, check references profusely, etc.

Meanwhile, I feel slightly guilty. In my panicked state last night, I sent a message to the girl who was my second choice the last time around. When she didn't reply pretty quickly, I (obviously) moved forward with the search. Then I got a message that she's still looking for a job and is interested. And while she was fine, she's another single mom, which I just kind of feel burned on, kwim? And I feel horrible about that, because duh, I AM a single mom. Gah. I replied and explained that I had temporary childcare and was going to take my time to find exactly the right person and that I have interviews set up, but that I am still interested in her. I just don't want to piss her off or feel like I'm playing games, ya know? Blech.

And meanwhile, Sonja is doing awesome!!! Currently over 10 miles into the marathon, and in 18th place in AG and moving up. She did the bike in 5:30(!!!) and her pace for the last split was 7:40. Unbelievable!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 AM

sparkle - I need a refresher about who/whom because it always gets me too, but I couldn't find where in the article it was at?

Gaye - that is a great time and you were pushing a stoller, no less! And I'm so glad to hear that you have temp. childcare arranged. Yay!

rr: my 10k went well! The course was long so I just barely squeezed in under 50 minutes but I'm happy with that. Now that I've finally raced every distance, I'm pretty sure I've decided that 5ks suck the most. It's just so much more pleasant to run a bunch of slow miles than a few completely painful ones.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:58 AM

Sonja finished in 10:17:53. 15th in her AG. 20 minute PR, and a 3:30 marathon. IN KONA. Where it was 120 degrees on the pavement for the bike today!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I also roll my eyes at the The Good Lord Blessed Me with New Boobs
Why does he not bless me with new boobs?

1jooj--I totally hear you. It shouldn't be an issue for your kids to not participate, and I'm not sure why the school doesn't get that.

Plady--didn't mean to scare you! We don't usually start thinking about them until mid-December. But I wanted photos of J at 6 months and one of the girls together and then I had the "brilliant" idea that we could do holiday photo cards this year.

Next year, I'm taking a photo at home and ordering two sets of cards with specific religious wording and generic holiday wording. Or just doing the usual and pasting a poor-quality photo into the Christmas letter and calling it good. :P

tjsmama--you rocked that 5k.

cornflake-- a 20k in under 50 minutes? I am not worthy!

Squeezed in 6 today. It was so windy out (18-25 mph gusts) that I didn't want to take the jogger, but DH was still out with R so I made sure we had plenty of blankets and headed out. I put the rain cover down once we were running into the wind and it helped J, I think. The worst mile was the one where I was running into the wind, uphill, but at least coming down the hill with a tailwind was pretty sweet.

Off to work on grading and R's Halloween costume.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
Why does he not bless me with new boobs?
Yeah! Why not?????

We took all three kids to the rock climbing gym yesterday afternoon and spent two fun hours belaying the Jacob and Kay and watching Kirsten free-climb in the boulder room. Kay climbed all the way to the ceiling and Kirsten is such a careful climber, finding just the right spot for each hand and foot. Awesome stuff! This afternoon we're going to a new state park to hike and explore. Sometimes these weekends with John home feel more like a vacation than being at home! Only 9 more weeks to go!

tjsmama ~ your friend ROCKED Kona! Amazing time and incredible run, especially after all that biking and swimming . Watching Ironman always makes me want to do one.... If I can get my leg issue figured out by next summer, I think I'll sign up for Muncie 70.3 (half-Ironman). It's a start!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
Righty- she's holding a race medal! That looks like a stethoscope - ha! I was going to make that better along with her other hand ..maybe she should be looking at her garmin? She also wears running shoes.
LOL. I thought it was a stethoscope too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Gaye, you are living my nanny nightmare. Silver lining: she gave you the weekend and told you she quit. I've seen worse. (Not that what she did was appropriate...) So far so good here, though we do find that things we consider obvious are not to her. I feel like I'm teaching her to be an adult at times... The kids love her, and she seems to show up daily.
When I flash back to myself as a college student I just shudder at some of my expectations/experiences. Whoa. There's a whole lot of learning that went on for me from age 20-25. I recently learned that our average brains aren't done developing until age 25 and it was a serious lightbulb moment for me (recently = last 2 years).

I did cardio boot camp yesterday. (a). I knew no one in the class, (b) the teacher sucked because she asked who was new to the class and then proceeded to ask us to all line up as if we knew WTF we were doing. Nevertheless, I persisted and made it through. However I am sore in all kinds of places that just running forward doesn't catch.

Holiday pagents. Blech. Here's my other beef with them (accidentally typed beer, perhaps better with beer?).....could we schedule them now and then tell the parents when they will be so that working parents can come? I mean our nursery school gave us a full 2 month notice of a 15 minute parade during school time (kids put on costumes or not and walk from classrooms through the hall and back to the classrooms). I'd like to make arrangements for one parent to make it to the concert, but honestly that's a tricky time for us as college profs.

It did occur to me that we could just learn songs not holiday related and move on. But then people would probably complain at my choice in songs.

We put our deposit down on a wood burning insert for our fireplace. I'm moderately excited, but restraining myself since it's a 100% money back if my dh decides to back out. It also requires some tile work on the floor of our living room that my husband is too chicken to do. (in an old house the firebox opens onto the floor vs. about 18 inches above the floor. There's currently tile there, but it needs to extend 10 inches or so to have appropriate distance so as to be up to code once we install something that sticks out about 8 inches). Ideally we would also move our thermostat for the furnace upstairs AND install a ceiling fan at the top of the stairs to pull heat up. But in the meantime we're sticking to multiple $1000 increments, not $10,000....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh my lovely Dingos! (I guess I don't use the e) I am coming up for air. All my woes are most likely due to my great inability to handle stress. It is not the events so much themselves as my reaction. I am not even sure if there are precipitating events other than moving here 10 years ago. Things spiraled totally out of control for me this fall. When the shingles first hit I thought I was just so depressed that the physical symptoms were beginning to manifest. That I have a diagnosable physical problem is actually a relief. I guess if my blisters are crusting over I can lead my LLL meeting on Tuesday? I find out about my boards on the 29th if all goes according to plan. I am running (got 10K in today 10/10/10) and taking self care super seriously now. I need some longer runs for the feeling I get when they are done.

My children are being entertaining if nothing else.
Linus asked me how to spell gymnastics. I told him and he asked, "What about the R? When I go to gymnastics it says w-o-r-l-d." He takes a tumbling class for 3 yo at Gymnastics World.
Charlotte couldn't find her music bag to practice piano so she got out a piece of paper, wrote out her music, took it to the piano and played.
Helen had a friend spend the night. When it came time to watch a movie her friend pulled out Disney Tinkerbell Part III. We had a minor melt down as my daughter's plan was to netflix Dirty Jobs. Isn't that what all 7 yo dream of watching? It was a good one too; the guy made blocks of tofu.
Alice had a swim meet and found out she may be more endurance than sprinter. I think I knew that about her.
Ian is busy making birthday plans. I think we are going to a rock climbing gym up North next weekend.

sparkle, I hope your mental state... can lose the dental floss soon. dh's grammar lesson involves lying down to sleep v laying your girlfriend.
kerc, I wish you could come get my fireplace insert. The previous owners heated the house with it but dd's breathing issues mean we haven't used it in years. It is free to anyone that can remove it and clean up after them selves.
JayGee, have a great day with your family and store up the reserves you need for the week solo.
real, running in the wind with a jogger is a real workout! Go you!
gaye, I agree with the xmil, get the right nanny. I am pulling for you. Congrats to Sonja, that is amazing.
cfg, I I totally agree about a bunch of nice miles v a few miserable ones.
plady, I saw your photo on fb - your makeup!
geo, at least when every piece of technology around fails you still have your brains. I've lost mine. I'm glad got past the deadline and rejoined us here.
jo, I think all holidays should be kept out of the schools. No matter what anyone does somebody is upset or allergic or left out. It drives me insane all the bits of religion in the public schools mostly because the teachers seem totally unaware and caught off guard when people don't all agree with them. There is plenty of opportunity to celebrate at home or in church. I like keeping in touch with far flung friends and annual cards seem like a good idea before I get started on them. I rarely finish well.
nic, happy birthday to your dd and enjoy motherhood anniversary.
bec, hope you are feeling better today. Good luck with the puppy.
lofty, good to see you posting more.
poppy, I like the Charlie's Angels but no real reasons. I saw a tshirt at yesterday's swim meet that said This is what awesome looks like. I am sure it belongs to somebody but I thought I'd share.
nemesis, did you get your run in?
penelope, your are cracking me up with the baby Jesus/new suv comments. While photo cards are best in my book there is much merriment to be derived from holiday letters.

I had all three littles in bed by 7:30 last night and I am hoping for a repeat tonight. In that vein they are outside rigging up a swingset. They use a jump rope, a lawn chair, and the clothesline poles and they swing. I'll have to take pictures. They came up with it themselves.

Sorry for the book.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM

mommajb, you sound hopeful, and that itself is really, really good.

I ran/walked about 4 miles this AM while kids were at Sunday school, then whirlpooled before picking them up. I am beat! Picked them up, did the grocery shopping and now have to put it all away and do a little cleaning so I can cook some dinner, do chores and somehow try to catch up on the work that needs needs needs to get done for the office.

Did I mention dh gets home Saturday and leaves a week later again?

I don't want to yell at my kids. I don't want to yell at my kids. I don't want to...
Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM

re: stress

I am bad at handling stress too! Many of the things that undo me are little, and I know they are little, and yet my equilibrium gets thrown. The latest is the hip. I have several health things that I manage, and the time and energy I have to devote daily just continues to add up. And then there's the mind f*** of "will this heal? yes it will. but what if it doesnt? it will. I'm sad. dont be sad, it's bad to imagine bad outcomes....".

I developed a chronic health condition 4 years ago that I do 45 minutes of work per day to keep symptoms at bay. That's the biggest one. Then there's the elaborate oral hygiene program b/c my gums are receding (dont know why - usual culprits dont apply to me), then all the injuries which have kept me from running for over 2 years, and while I can talk myself down from this (I can do other things, many people cant run, many people cant walk...), when i think about not running anymore it feels like a death, and the grief wells up. As for the hip, Google says "stop doing the offending activity" b/c of course, usually it is caused by overuse or trauma. Mine started while walking. Cant stop that. Will it go away? dont know. Why did it start? Dont know. So I do all the "right" things, like stretching several times a day and rolling (which hurts so much I nearly cry every time, which is so cruelly ironic; that to hopefully reverse this painful condition I have to cause SO MUCH pain). And after all this; I am exhausted.

But these are all little things in the big picture, and yet My hamstring is much better. My whole right leg is much better. Im optimistic that I have a good program in place to keep that going in a positive direction .... and now I just have to deal with the hip. I will look into chiropractic, as I suspect all of my injuries are related to hip alignment and core stability. (Did I tell ya'll that the hunky PT (WHOM my husband has started calling Fabio) did a trick with my right hip that made my hamstring feel 80% better - the hip was rotated forward...)

Penelope - I DFW. Although, I dont really like his fiction, at least not what Ive read so far (havent touched IJ for obvious reasons). "A Supposedly Fun thing Ill never do Again" is so awesome, as is that Tense Present essay. And guess what - he has a new book coming out! Turns out his wife found a nearly completed manuscript, which is currently being edited by his long term editor (heard an interview with him on NPR the other day), so you can read your supply and have some left

Ok, gotta go find out where my kids are at ...

p.s. mommajb - Ill see your book and raise it to a series

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM

mommajb--Oh, I'm so sorry about the shingles! I've heard that's really painful and awful. I'm glad you're feeling better just having a diagnosis, though. I once had a friend who said that about his brain tumor: "I mean, I know it's a BRAIN TUMOR and all, but I'm just so relieved to be told it's SOMETHING." Eek. I hope you continue to feel better; it sounds like the kids are keeping you hopping.

tjsmama--Awesome job for your friend at Kona! What a fantastic achievement.

bec--I'm sorry I missed your birthday the day of. Eek, bad on me. I'm not here as much now that I'm not running. Next week I'm back with it.

Plady--The corpse bride pictures on Facebook are AWESOME. So creepy! I love them; the makeup is amazing.

Jo and Nic--I'm sorry about the Christmas nonsense. It does suck to have your kids either pressured into participating or made to feel lousy for sitting it out. When I was teaching, the eighth grade class officers led the school in song the day before December vacation. One year a Jewish student was class president, and he stood up and belted out all of those tunes; I suppose just living in this country you absorb them. It made me cringe, though.

I'm tired. I had a bunch of apples from DS's trip to the orchard, so I decided to make a pie. Neither of my kids will eat apple pie, so I told DH to invite his dad over, who eats mostly microwave meals but loves pie. I made a lasagna and a big salad and rolls and the pie, of course. And I ran the dishwasher twice today and got the kids to and from church and cleaned the house. After dinner the kids convinced me to take them for a walk, and we had to detour up all of the streets where DD thought kids lived who ride her bus. We ended up seeing four or five little kids, which is more than we usually catch outside, and probably walked 3 and a half miles in all. It was nice, but now I'm exhausted. DD is, therefore, reading to me while I type. All of a sudden she can read--hooray!

Tomorrow we have the day off, so we're meeting up with our playgroup friends, who we miss most of the time now that everyone is in school. On Tuesday, I plan on getting back out on the roads. Slowly. Reasonably. Like an intelligent adult who is conscious of her body's limitations.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 PM

Another epic day of race stalking, in the books. This time, a plethora of friends at the Chicago marathon, and a couple at Portland. At least with a marathon, it's usually less than 5 hours, right? Everyone seems to have survived Chicago, heat and all, although PR's were few and far between!

XH texted me at like 11 this morning that he wasn't flying back today after all, because the afternoon flight was sold out (which he KNEW last night, but apparently still elected not to take the morning flight). I fired back a slightly irate text about not appreciating being ditched all weekend and that not having plans does not equal not having anything to do (such as do homework which I can't do with DS around). Grrr. So he hasn't seen his son in over a week, and now he'll pick him up from school tomorrow for a whopping 3 hours or so of quality time. Trying to be understanding about his issues, but dude, get over it, suck it up and parent. Oh, not sure I explained that here...apparently one of the consultants on his team had a heart attack and ultimately died while at the client site last week, so X had to deal with all of that and calling the guy's wife and getting her out there, and stuff. So yeah, I'm sympathetic, but still. You can't ignore your kid just because you caught a glimpse of your own mortality...

ANYWAY...cold and rainy here today, which was kind of a nice change! It's finally fall! I took advantage of the cooler weather yesterday and today and got busy in the kitchen for the first time in months. Yesterday, a double batch of granola and a double batch of pasta sauce for the freezer. Today, soup in the crockpot and banana bread. Ahh, so nice to turn the oven on again! But, due to the rain, we had to go to the Y to get my run in. I originally was going to do 8, but after yesterday's 5k I thought that might be a little too much, so instead, I decided to be a number nerd. I ran 10k at 10 minute pace for 10/10/10.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM
bec

Oh, boy! This is what it is like having a baby again! Well, a baby that you can lock in a crate only feed 3 times a day, and ignore when they cry.

He's a super cute, sweet little guy. Gromit is doing well with the pup, and the pup seems to be a really balanced dog. He's already picking up on the whole idea of the leash, the crate, and peeing and pooping outside!

Too tired for personals or FM, but I am thinking of you all!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM

I am not a believer, but for new boobs I could be.

I did not get any running in, my weekend was just too packed. I was up at 5 am and I should have run, I know it. Instead I snuggled DH and had coffee early, but at least I got in some strength training this morning. I can usually talk myself out of it.

Bec- Glad to hear about the puppy!

Mommajb- I'm so happy that you are feeling better. Please take care.

I have a bazillion cherry tomatoes that I have processed this weekend (dehydrated and frozen) and now I am drying peppers and zucchini. Carrots are next. I have no idea how I will get all my stuff out before the 15th! DD's birthday is next week. How could she be 8?

User Tag List