Abs after multiple C-Sections? UPDATE Post 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my abs. Especially my upper abs. I look pregnant (high up pregnancy) and of course that is NOT possible. LOL

Is it normal for a woman who is out of shape and was very overweight (down 57 pounds) and three pregnancys with c-sections to look like this? It is like all of my guts are pushed up. I have shortness of breath still like my lungs are being compressed.

It is really freaking me out.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Could it be diastatsis recti. I know there is a book "lose your mummy tummy" (I think) that addresses this.

I never really followed her program though...I do own the book but never got into it.

What really worked for me as far as abs go is T-Tapp. They have a "hit the floor" routine, designed just for abs, and it really isn't that hard, but has been absolutely wonderful for me as far as toning and tightening my abs. One of the things T-Tall talks about is "putting your organs in place" before doing ab exercises which helps a lot with flattening the tummy.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#3 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Diastasis Recti has crossed my mind. As well as hernia and or adhesions.

With 3 c-sections and I had a hernia operation 5 years ago, any of those are possible.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my abs. Especially my upper abs. I look pregnant (high up pregnancy) and of course that is NOT possible. LOL

Is it normal for a woman who is out of shape and was very overweight (down 57 pounds) and three pregnancys with c-sections to look like this? It is like all of my guts are pushed up. I have shortness of breath still like my lungs are being compressed.

It is really freaking me out.
No c-sections but I still have what you describe, i.e. belly that sits high so that I look pregnant. I have a diastasis. Looks better now that I've dropped 40 pounds but it's still there. Your guts kind of are pushing out because the muscles that would hold them in are damaged.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#5 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
No c-sections but I still have what you describe, i.e. belly that sits high so that I look pregnant. I have a diastasis. Looks better now that I've dropped 40 pounds but it's still there. Your guts kind of are pushing out because the muscles that would hold them in are damaged.
It just looks so strange! I think now that I have lost 57 pounds, it is becoming more noticeable.

#6 of 16 Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I am also starting to notice I can't eat as much. Like something is pushing on my stomach. Similar to the feeling when you are pregnant.

I also, choke alot (very easily). I then start coughing and the only way to stop is to throw up.

#7 of 16 Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the Doctor this afternoon. She does not believe I have diastasis recti. What she is looking at is gall bladder. The other possibilty is tumor. But she doesn't feel anything, so that is not in the for front of her mind as the problem.

Friday morning I am going for an abdominal ultrasound.

#8 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm sending healthy thoughts your way.
#9 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will let you know what they find out.

#10 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post

I'm sending healthy thoughts your way.
Me too! Please let us know!

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#11 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. At least she doesn't think I am losing my mind. Well I might be.

#12 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I had an abdomenal ultrasound on Saturday. I don't have any results yet or results of my blood tests from last Tuesday. I called my Doctor yesterday and she was out. They said she would be in today.

Meh, I think I am just a freak of nature.

#13 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yep freak of nature is what I am. All tests were negative.

#14 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Yep freak of nature is what I am. All tests were negative.
(((hugs))) don't feel that way. I'm going through some issues myself and everything so far has come back negative. I should be fine. But I'm not. I have hope that I'll get to the bottom of it!

#15 of 16 Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I see my OB/GYN in a couple of weeks. I love her! I pln on talking with her about my abs and about feeling overall yucky.

In the mean time I am going to continue to lose weight and start working out.

#16 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

I am age 46 and had 3 csections as well as a hysterectomy.. (still have ovaries).. I am not over weight really (5'3" 137 lbs) but I go to the gym 5 mornings per week and work out high impact for an hour.  I try to watch my calories and eat healthy most of the time.  Even though I only take a size 4 - 6, my stomach is extended also higher up and is hard and looks like I am 3 months pregnant.  If I push on it, it feels kind of hard and like I am feeling my organs.  I too go to my doctor on May 8th and plan to bring this up.  If you find out anything from your doctor, let me know.  So glad to see that I am not the only one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page