Can a person who hates to run....learn to love it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always hated running. I am really not sure why. Overweight? Cause I am out of shape?

So, is it possible to learn to like this? I am asking because I want to add exercise into my life. I am ready for it. With running you only need shoes. LOL No other special equipment.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 23 Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM

I started to get in shape using workout DVDs at home. I had been doing that for a little over a year and got into really good shape before I considered running. I had tried running in college and it was terrible. I felt like I would keel over after just 2 or 3 minutes. When I gave it a try this time around, it was fine. Enjoyable even. And I've stuck with it. I think the difference was how fit I was I started running.

But still, I think it's possible to get into running and enjoy it if you ease your way into it and find what works for you. Here is an 8-week beginner's running program. Mainly, you run/jog for 1 minute and walk for 2 and then gradually change the ratio until you can run continuously for 30 minutes. I've been running now for a few months and while I think I could run continuously for 30 minutes, anything more than 20 minutes does not feel that good. So my approach currently is running for 12-15 and speed walking for 2 (if I'm going for distance) or running 3-4 minutes and speed walking for 1 (if I'm working on speed).

What I'm saying is that there are many ways you could get into running that might be more enjoyable than just getting out there and going for it.

Good luck!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#3 of 23 Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Going with a friend, finding good music to listen to, find a peaceful place to run, and most importantly, start slowly. Use the couch to 5k plan, or even take the ramp up slower. It doesn't matter if it takes you 8 weeks or 30 weeks to get up to 5k, as long as you're out there consistently. The end result is still running, and taking it slower means you're less likely to hurt.
#4 of 23 Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM

If you aren't exactly sure why you hated running, I would say: YES, you can and might learn to love it.

Running is hard. I have been doing it for 15+ years, and still tend to have a love/hate relationship with it. I love running, but some days it is hard. Some days it is easy and I feel on top of the world. I think Rootzdawta's running plan is the best way to start- walking with some running...and work up from there.

For a couple of years, I ran less and less as I gained weight (and had two kids, ) The more weight I have lost (I'm up to 45lbs lost now) the EASIER and more comfortable running is for sure.

Running shoes and don't forget a sports bra!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#5 of 23 Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 AM

I am addicted to running. Used to hate it, now I love it.

I bought the nicest running shoes I could afford and then traded over to Vibram Five Fingers shoes and I am LOVING them.

If you want to start out slowly, try downloading the Couch to 5k (c25k) podcasts (just google it). There's a lot of different ones so keep surfing until you find music you like. If you are really out of shape and don't run/exercise much, expect the first week to be rather upsetting. I had to repeat multiple weeks, but I did manage to finish it and have moved up to marathon training.

I am/was quite overweight and have been losing it like crazy thanks to running. However, I'll warn you that when I dedicated myself to finishing C25k, I honestly thought I had fractured my pelvis by week 2. Horrible, awful pain. In the end, nothing was wrong; it was just my body learning how to become a runner.

Good luck to you!!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#6 of 23 Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to go for it. I just need to get shoes.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 23 Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 PM

I have finally learned to like running, and I used to hate it.

The above advice is very good, but I think my suggestion is to keep trying different things to see what it is you don't like about running. Don't be afraid to try different things, even if they are not what most runners like.

For example, after a lot of failed starts, I found out that I dislike running outside, I don't like running with people, I like being able to stop running in the same place I started. So I run with a treadmill, which many purists would hate.

I also suffer from outdoor allergies, so I like running indoors and I need something to distract me from the indoor allergy symptoms that flare up while I am running. I enter 5K run races once in a while, but I don't like the outdoor aspect. If there is ever an indoor 5K race, I would be all over it, but obviously no one else would want to enter it.

For me, I found that music is not enough to distract me. The ONLY thing that makes running enjoyable for me is to run with a DVD episode of NUMB3RS on my portable DVD player and wireless headphones. I like the music, and I like the mathematics. I don't know what I am going to do now that they've had their final season. I keep cycling over the same 6 seasons of episodes. Is that the craziest set up for running you've ever heard? My sister, who ran a marathon right before she had her baby, doesn't even like to run with music, and here I am with an elaborate system. But I finally like running. Unfortunately, each episode only lasts 40 minutes.
#8 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmama View Post
I have finally learned to like running, and I used to hate it.

The above advice is very good, but I think my suggestion is to keep trying different things to see what it is you don't like about running. Don't be afraid to try different things, even if they are not what most runners like.

For example, after a lot of failed starts, I found out that I dislike running outside, I don't like running with people, I like being able to stop running in the same place I started. So I run with a treadmill, which many purists would hate.

I also suffer from outdoor allergies, so I like running indoors and I need something to distract me from the indoor allergy symptoms that flare up while I am running. I enter 5K run races once in a while, but I don't like the outdoor aspect. If there is ever an indoor 5K race, I would be all over it, but obviously no one else would want to enter it.

For me, I found that music is not enough to distract me. The ONLY thing that makes running enjoyable for me is to run with a DVD episode of NUMB3RS on my portable DVD player and wireless headphones. I like the music, and I like the mathematics. I don't know what I am going to do now that they've had their final season. I keep cycling over the same 6 seasons of episodes. Is that the craziest set up for running you've ever heard? My sister, who ran a marathon right before she had her baby, doesn't even like to run with music, and here I am with an elaborate system. But I finally like running. Unfortunately, each episode only lasts 40 minutes.
Hey, good for you for finding something that works! I also hate running with other people. My DH tries to run with me and always I end up feeling incredibly irritated. I despise those Stroller Strides programs for precisely that same reason.

And I need music that has a strong beat and is loud enough to drown out my breathing and footsteps. This probably means that I'll be deaf by the time I'm 40.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#9 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Soon as I get some health issues taken care of, I am going to try running. Need shoes too though.

#10 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 PM
bec

For shoes, I would highly recommend you go to a specialty running store (not a big box store) and have them fit you for the right shoes. They will analyze your gait and determine which is the best shoe for you!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#11 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I refused to run all through high school when it was "required". I "ran" i.e. walked a 22 minute mile. I only run when chased. That said, I started C25K to get in shape about 1-2 years ago and loved it. I stopped when I got pg because I didn't have the energy, but will do it again in the future.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

I used to LOATHE running. I think it was because I was a smoker at the time and well, the obvious just made it harder to run and therefore, I just stopped doing it. But now, I haven't had a cigarette in 18 months and I've been running for a couple of months now. It's amazing the difference in my lung capacity and now I look forward to going on a run. I don't always have music on me, but sometimes I do. Other times, it gives me a little quiet time and time to think. I just got a new pair of excellent running shoes and those have made a difference, too.

So yes, I think you can hate and then learn to love but there are some hurdles that most people have to get over in order to really enjoy it.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#13 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

I agree ~ you need to find what works for you. Like one of the PPs, you may love the treadmill. Or hate it! You may love running on trails with your dog. You may love doing laps on the track. Or you may need music to motivate you. Or not. You may want to register for a 5K to motivate you. Just find where your running groove is. For me, running on a single-track trail in the woods with a friend or two is perfect. The concentration needed to not trip, to find the right footing, and to gauge my gait for the trail keeps me focused and prevents boredom. Miles literally fly by me when I'm running trail. Running on the road is an exercise in torture for me. And don't get me started on the hamsterwheel.... I mean treadmill !

Get good shoes, and a supportive bra. And get started!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#14 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM

I used to hate running and learned to love it when I was forced to run for Karate class. Once my body got used to running, I started to really enjoy it. We also ran barefoot which is still my favorite way to run. Sprinting barefoot is exhilirating
The slowshuffle psuedo-jog though...not so much.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#15 of 23 Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
I don't always have music on me, but sometimes I do. Other times, it gives me a little quiet time and time to think.
This is off topic, but I have to ask. Those of you who don't run with any music. What do you think about? In my brain, I have, "I'm so tired, I keep coughing, Is it time to stop yet? etc."

What is going through your brain?
#16 of 23 Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm not a runner who listens to music. I really enjoy just listening to the sounds of life. I run in a very quiet neighborhood, and I love listening to the birds, dogs barking, my own breath. I feel very connected with nature- I "see" how blue the sky is and how green the mountains are. It's a very zen experience. And yes, sometimes I think about how much it hurts or how tired I am or how I just can't get my breathing right. But then it fades away and I begin to think of something else....Also, running when I am mad or stressed is like therapy. It really helps to sort out thoughts in my head.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#17 of 23 Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I never run with music. Sometimes I repeat a mantra with my footfalls. This works especially well during racing or speedwork intervals to take the focus off the pain and put it on the words. Sometimes I sing songs in my head . Sometimes I create these elaborate fantasies about how my life would be if.... I often use running to sort through personal issues and problems. And I really enjoy running with a group so we can talk the whole time .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#18 of 23 Old 10-16-2010, 01:09 AM

I used to hate running...and now I LOVE it!! It is not just exercise, it's therapy. A few things that helped, I was in good shape before I started running (think gym 3-4x's a week on elliptical, stairmaster, etc. plus weights). I think that helped, but the biggest thing for me was getting past the first half mile-mile. After that it got SO much easier for me. I also needed music when I was starting. I just recently, after almost 2 years of running, stopped running with music. I have days that I fly along, and don't need it. I also have days where my run DRAGS. Usually it is because I am either 1) getting a cold or something is off, or 2) I did a long run the day before and need a rest day.

I started out running in great shoes, but switched to vibram's about 4 months ago. I LOVE them!

Also, I know for me, I just recently read "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall, and that really inspired and motivated me to want to run MORE. Good luck!
#19 of 23 Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
This is off topic, but I have to ask. Those of you who don't run with any music. What do you think about? In my brain, I have, "I'm so tired, I keep coughing, Is it time to stop yet? etc."

When I first started running I needed music to distract me from the sound of my breathing, and the incessant complaining from my inner slacker. And I felt most comfortable running on a track so I wouldn't get stranded too far away from home. If I got to the track and realized I forgot music I'd often just leave and not run a step.

But over time I've gotten braver and more fit, and now my idea of a perfect run is 10-12 miles out on beautiful country roads with or w/o music (or nowadays, podcasts of This American Life or Wait Wait Don't Tell Me). And I agree running=therapy, just having time to let thoughts come and go about anything and everything. I often have creative breakthroughs while I'm running - the best when I'm not plugged in.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#20 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I need to get a pair of running shoes. That probably won't be possible till after the 1st of the year.

In the mean time I will go up to the fitness center and start with the treadmill.

#21 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I lately have been running with other people, so the conversation keeps things moving.

When I run alone, I tend to think through a variety of things. I will play out different strategies for dealing with difficult conversations on the horizon, or work through how I'm going to get something done, prioritize weekend tasks, etc.

I look at the sky - day or night, daydream about cloud formations, or try to figure out if that bright thing in the sky is Jupiter, Venus, or a plane. I have a few favorite trees I check out each time, watching how they change with the seasons.

I count yard signs. My neighborhood is full of yard signs - political signs, church shindig ads, roofers, etc. Lately a 3 mile run gets me 300 signs.

I run to the fancy side of town and daydream about what kind of house I might like if someone would do the cleaning for me and pay the heating bill. I look at people's landscaping for ideas on what to do about our yard.

Once I printed off a map of my neighborhood, and made the goal of running every single block in the neighborhood in one month's time. I discovered a few neat things in the area doing that.
#22 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM

I started running 3 years ago. Hated when I started & still hate it. I have no love for it. In highschool I was a sprinter, I like sprinting because it's over faster(obviously,lol). Long distance I hated in high school & that hasn't changed.

I've ran with & without music.

I've ran with & without people.

I've done C25 & similar programs & in classes.

HATE it!

but you won't know if you hate it until you try.
#23 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

You are so right! I won't know for sure if I truly hate running or not until I try.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page