Going to lose 5 lbs in 10 days...anyone want to join? - Mothering Forums
Fitness and Weight Management > Going to lose 5 lbs in 10 days...anyone want to join?
Ahappymel's Avatar Ahappymel 02:15 PM 10-14-2010
I'm going to lose 5 lbs in 10 days. Today I stepped on the scale and I am at my upper weight limit and all my clothes are tight and I feel awful.
I'm supposed to go to a wedding the weekend of the 23/24th and I am determined to lose 5 lbs by then which I think is reasonable.
Here's my plan of how to do it. Add to my two Bikram classes a week...one more workout for a total of 3.
I'm giving up all bread, white rice and pasta.
I'm vegan so I'll be eating beans, tofu, veggies raw and steamed, fresh fruit, lots of water, maybe some juices diluted, teas, broths, and salads.
Anyone want to join me? You don't have to do vegan if you aren't vegan. I just want a buddy to help me out.
Thanks!
Mel.

candycat's Avatar candycat 02:38 PM 10-14-2010
Sure. I'm in. I don't really go by weight usually - post-babies, my weight seems to hover around 125-130 regardless of what shape I'm actually in. Inches concerns me more. But I do think a few pounds would kick start me to feeling better. Pre-baby I was usually 120-125 and I looked and felt tons better. I checked the scale and I'm at 130 exactly this morning so I guess my goal is 125 by next weekend!

Umm. Let's see. How to actually do it...

1) Stop eating just because the kids are eating. They eat all day, every day, cos they're growing toddlers. I'm not supposed to be growing!

2) Cut out the bread/pastries/etc, seriously.

3) I know I'm a damn good cook but I shouldn't take seconds of everything I make. Worst case, wait an hour before taking seconds, probably the craving will have passed.

4.) Eat more slowly. I've been in a terrible rush lately.

5.) Sleep more. Pounds melt off you when you sleep enough, pounds stay on you when you're tired. I am running on empty. Bed by 9, sleep by 10 pm every night. (Should be hard, I have papers due this week, and tons of reading, gah. But health is a priority.)
northwoods1995's Avatar northwoods1995 03:21 PM 10-14-2010
I'll try.

I was 178 this morning.

I'm counting calories and trying to eat healthier. Shooting for around 1600 calories per day I think (I'm nursing a toddler)

I'm walking every day.

I'm also doing some pilates exercises for about 15 minutes a day.

I'm going to bed earlier. Getting at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night. I've found that since I started trying to lose weight (I started this past weekend), I've already been sleeping better at night.

I'd like to pick up the 30 Day Shred DVD or something like that but if I have to buy extra equipment I will have to wait.

I lost around 30 pounds right before I got pregnant with my third child and when I first started trying to lose, I lost pretty quickly in the beginning so this might be doable.
jess_paez's Avatar jess_paez 03:59 PM 10-14-2010
ME! i'm in. i'm not vegan, but i do weight watchers. i had a baby in may and have lost around 20 lbs by doing low carb (lots of veggies, lean meats). but i got so bored and needed flavor. we moved in september and i totally fell off the weight loss bandwagon, but i am so very ready to jump back on. so, weight watchers for the past few days and i've been taking a TWO hour walk for the past 2 days and it's actually time to go on the one for today. it really helps the baby calm down and sleep really well at night and i look forward to it. i also need to drink a pitcher of water a day. i'll do this today when i get home.
philia's Avatar philia 09:44 PM 10-17-2010
I can lose three lbs in a week if I increase eating asparagus and apples. I broil a bunch of asparagus with a tablespoon of olive oil. I try to eat 2-3 bunches a day when I want to lose a few lbs. It is a natural diuretic and it will get rid of a lot of water. The apples are just something I will eat as snacks. I also think replacing 1 meal with Special K cereal works. If I do this with 1/2 hour of exercise per day I lose hard to lose weight. I also drink a ton of water and a couple cups of hot tea. Whenever I cut out asparagus i gain weight. I figure it is healthy eating a lot of veggies. Count me in. I only need to lose 4 lbs but it is hard to do.
Philia
sweeetpea's Avatar sweeetpea 10:44 AM 10-18-2010
I wanna do this too! I am also at my waaayyy upper end weight limit, and although my clothes fit, they bulge and are tight. And I am running a 10K at the end of the month, so 5 less pounds to haul around will make it easier.

My plan:
1. Keep up the exercise - daily or alt days.
2. Reduce the chocolate consumption from handfuls at a time (no joke) to one small piece at a time
3. Eat lots of apples - we went apple picking on Saturday and picked 114 apples (I had to FORCE the kids to stop) So, we have about 70 on the counter now, just begging to be eaten...
4. Try to control the stress eating/comfort foods.

I'll have to weigh in later to see exactly where I am starting from, but I think it's about 162.
julie80's Avatar julie80 05:29 PM 10-18-2010
I'm in too. I haven't weighed myself in a few days but I lost a couple of pounds last week which I'm just ecstatic about.

But I like the challenge so I'll up my exercise and drop my calories and see if I can pull it off. Wish me luck!
sweeetpea's Avatar sweeetpea 07:22 PM 10-19-2010
I was doing good today with the healthy foods plan. then jumped off the wagon with a handful of chocolate chips after the kids got home. Hmmm - cause & effect? gotta work that one out.
sweeetpea's Avatar sweeetpea 03:52 PM 10-20-2010
Finally got around to weighing myself this morning and was shocked to see 158. I know there is not much difference between 162 and 158, but psychologically, already being under 160 is a big deal. Since I weighed myself after a workout, and two days after starting this plan, let's call my starting number 159, and goal number 154 by the end.
Heavenly's Avatar Heavenly 04:34 PM 10-20-2010
I'm in. I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting last night and started my diet today. I have tried before and failed but this time I am determined to stick with it!
jellybeanandkids's Avatar jellybeanandkids 10:19 AM 10-21-2010
I'm in!
I need to lose a couple of pounds, I don't really weigh myself but I need to lose te bit of flab so my clothes can fit better. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but now that I am over 30, I need to be more careful.

Here is my plan:
1. Drink water and no soda
2. Cut out sweets, cookies, pastries etc
3. Less bread, simple starches and more veggies
4. Stop the boredom eating.
5. Do 30 day shred every day
Ahappymel's Avatar Ahappymel 10:32 AM 12-01-2010

I forgot to reply back! I DID lose the 5 lbs!

Anyone ready to lose a few  more?

Ahappymel's Avatar Ahappymel 10:37 AM 12-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post

I can lose three lbs in a week if I increase eating asparagus and apples. I broil a bunch of asparagus with a tablespoon of olive oil. I try to eat 2-3 bunches a day when I want to lose a few lbs. It is a natural diuretic and it will get rid of a lot of water. The apples are just something I will eat as snacks. I also think replacing 1 meal with Special K cereal works. If I do this with 1/2 hour of exercise per day I lose hard to lose weight. I also drink a ton of water and a couple cups of hot tea. Whenever I cut out asparagus i gain weight. I figure it is healthy eating a lot of veggies. Count me in. I only need to lose 4 lbs but it is hard to do.
Philia

WOW!!! I didn't know this about asparagus. I think it's my new favorite vegetable ; )

AtYourCervices's Avatar AtYourCervices 06:38 PM 12-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post

I'm ready to take the challenge! I'm hitting the gym in the morning.

amma_mama's Avatar amma_mama 07:42 AM 12-02-2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post

Congratulations!

I started my own diet about two weeks ago. My aim is to lose 15 pounds over about 8 weeks, so 1.5 pounds per week. I started at 140 and am now down to 135, though the scale has not budged in a few days. Once I hit my first milestone, I may try for another 5 pounds, which would put me at my ideal weight and back into the clothes that DH keeps telling me I should give away because I don't wear them anymore! Who care that they are not in style any more, as long as they fit!

I eat mostly vegetarian meals, with some fish thrown in. I have cut out all the empty carbs and fat, and increased my protein intake to help me feel more full after a meal and healthier overall. I am eating between 1000 and 1100 calories per day.

Not sure why my weight has stopped moving down this week...I am trying not to get discouraged because I cannot possibly cut out any more calories...ideas (and words of encouragement) welcome!

Up