Fast-5 Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know about Fast-5 or currently doing it?

Here's a link to the summary: http://www.fast-5.com/content/summary

It's actually not a "diet" in the sense that it tells you what to eat. It's more a behavior modification approach for those of us who eat too much of the right things too often. It's a type of "intermittent fasting" where you eat for 5 consecutive hours. For example, my 5 hours are something like 1-6 pm. I usually break my fast with a light "break-fast" at around 1. This is usually a green smoothie (made in my Vitamix with plain coconut Kefir, ice cubes, a banana and whatever other fruits and greens I happen to have on hand, plus a shot of Davinci sugar free strawberry syrup for added flavor), or greek yogurt with fruit, i.e., something light. Then I go about my afternoon activities, errands, grocery shopping, picking up kids at school, whatever. I start making dinner at around 4, and we usually eat dinner pretty early. My eating "window" closes at ~6 pm. Before 1 pm and after 6 pm I limit myself to non-caloric beverages, usually tea, coffee, water with some lemon and ginger, seltzer with sugar free flavored syrup. I usually exercise mid-morning (Yoga or weight training), so I find that curbs my appetite during the long, morning portion of my fast.

That's about all there is to it. Easy peasy!

Here's what I like about it:

1) 19 hours of freedom from thinking about "what to eat" because from 6 pm to 1 pm the next day, I eat nothing. This works for me because the bulk of that time is spent sleeping anyhow. We tend to go to bed pretty early here, 9 pm latest on most weekdays, so a reasonable dinner will cover me until bedtime.

2) I eat whatever I like for my main meal, and I eat until I'm comfortably full. I eat with the family and don't need to plan any kind of "diet" menu for myself. I feel very free to cook a variety of things rather than feeling restricted to a low-fat or low-carb regimen. Yesterday, for example, I made a polenta dish (which would have been unheard-of in my Atkins days...oh the horror!). Today I'll probably roast a chicken and some veggies, including sweet potatoes (an abomination of a menu during my Eat to Live stint).

This just feels like a really "sane" way of living. It's not a quick weight-loss solution because at the end of the day, what you eat and how much you eat still matters. But it's more about "how" rather than "what", and I've always felt that most approaches to weight loss tend to focus more on "what" than "how". The behavioral piece hardly ever gets addressed, and if it does, it doesn't take individual variation into consideration. This approach can be applied to any other "diet", be it low-carb, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, or a combination of all of them, which is what I do.

The original plan says to open the eating window at 5 pm. That would not work for me because my days start very early. I'm usually up at 5 am, and waiting 12 hours to eat doesn't make sense, especially if I'm in bed by 9 anyway. So, I usually open my eating window at around 1, so about 8 hours after waking up, and close it at 6, three hours before sleeping. This gives me adequate time to digest before going to sleep.

Anyhow, I just wanted to start this thread and see if there are any other mamas interested in trying this out and sharing ideas, lending support, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me! I started it a couple weeks ago and LOVE it. I absolutely love it.

I struggle with over eating. I could eat all day, every day. Even if I'm eating the "right" foods, I still way over eat.

Eating this way is so much better for me. I feel better, I feel more in control of food, I don't have that bloated, constant full feeling etc...

I'm still in the beginning stages so I do tend to eat foods that I probably shouldn't during my 5 hour window but, he says that's totally normal. I'm finding it's getting better. In the beginning stages, I'd pig out for fear of being hungry. But, I'm really starting to realize I don't need to do that at all. I'm fine with just eating regularly. But, I do find myself eating some sweets or the occasional pizza or the like.

I'd love to get to the point where I'm only eating low carb, healthy foods during my window. I'm working my way there.

I too have modified my window of eating. Right now, I'm doing 2:30 - 7:30 but, I think I'm going to change that to 2-7pm.

Late afternoon / early evening is my toughest time so for me, being able to eat during those hours is completely workable.

I am having a bit of cream in my morning coffee - 1 tablespoon. But, I also then get on the treadmill for 45 minutes so, at this point, I know I'm not technically following the Fast 5 to the letter but, for me, having a touch of cream in my coffee is working. I may eventually try to give that up.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Amcal! I'm so glad you decided to write! I was starting to think I was the only one who saw the sanity in Fast-5 around here. I think the name implies losing 5 lbs fast maybe, ant that doesn't seem interesting to others.

You seem to be in a similar place as I am with it. I, too, am in the beginning phases and absolutely LOVE the freedom I feel in many areas. I, too, think it would be better to combine Fast-5 with a Paleo eating style, but with small children and a hubby who isn't on-board with that, it's not going to happen any time soon. But I think the fact that we're not eating constantly (as I, too, am known to do), and then trying to eat non-junky food, combined with a 19 hour fast each day, has got to amount to something.

I'm doing a pretty vigorous 90 minute yoga class 3-4 times a week. I'm really enjoying it tremendously, as it, too, seems like a really sane way to engage in physical activity. It fits in nicely with Fast-5 in that I do the Yoga in the late morning after dropping the kids off at school, and by the time I get home, shower, change, pick up one kid from preschool, it comes time to "break the fast". I usually start with a smoothie made with plain coconut kefir, a banana, a couple of handfuls of spinach, and some ice cubes, maybe a splash of Davinci sugar free syrup. Having a vitamix helps a lot. This fills me and keeps me going for most of the afternoon. Then I cook for the family and we all eat the same thing, all together. That's my favorite part of the whole thing. There is no "diet" in the sense of eating food that is different from what everyone else in the family is eating. It's just eating less because you are choosing to eat within a narrow window of time. I think it's an ideal lifestyle for a mom with small children. It really takes away a lot of the craziness around food and eating. It solves the problem of eating what's left over on the kids' plates because you don't want to waste.

I went on fitday and did a rough tally of the calories I'm taking in on average, and it seems to be coming out roughly to around 1500 each day give or take 200 on either side. That is a huge improvement from what I was doing with the "3 meals plus 2 snacks" scenario. I love not having to think about food choices all day long. I love being able to go on with the rest of life. And I love that I feel light, not bloated, and energetic. This means a lot to me.

I also like that this isn't a quick fix or a short term weight dropping scheme. Having lost and gained over and over, I know the value of having mind and body adjust slowly, over time, and for good. Because this is something that could be done indefinitely, I hope and believe that this is what's going to do it for me. Time will tell.

I hope others will find their way here as well. It just makes so much sense.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 AM

I started Fast5 last winter and loved it! My window started either at 1 or 2, and usually stayed open six hours. I would break my fast with yogurt or a couple eggs, but I ate family dinner, then usually a little ice cream or organic popcorn around 7 p.m. Always mindful to get a decent number of calories in--even though I didn't count calories. I got several friends to do it also, and they loved it too. Although I had been working hard at low carb, it was freeing to add back in potatoes and some other favorite foods w/o feeling guilty.

Oh, why I had to stop? Suddenly,in the spring, my weight loss kept going, and going, and in July I discovered I had stage 4 non-Hodgkin lymphoma. But I am doing super well during chemo and my tumor has shrunk considerably. Doctors and nurses are amazed. I attribute it to my traditional way of eating, and I am gradually getting back to Fast5 by modifying a few hours at a time. Right now it's probably Fast...13.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Pogonia, wow! So inspiring to hear your story! And so glad to hear you're doing so well.

As for what you said about the benefits of a "traditional way of eating", I totally agree with you. And I believe that a traditional approach to food (which I understand as eating a variety of foods that are locally produced, in season, adequate saturated fats, animal-sourced proteins, correct preparation of grain- and legume-based dishes) meshes very harmoniously with a Fast-5 controlled schedule of eating. I resonate very strongly with the idea of eating something starchy or grain-based without feeling guilty.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM

1) The part about binge eating worries me.

2) Basically the fast 5 is skipping breakfast. I thought that skipping meals slowed down metabolism and made the body hang on to fat stores, no?

I have had a lot of luck with maintaining and losing weight when I watch my portions and exercise. A TF diet spread out throughout the day keeps my energy levels up and leaves me feeling satisfied.

I have never been a fan of fad diets.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM

From everything I've read, intermittant fasting is actually a very healthy practice.

Fast way to better health
Is Intermittent Fasting Healthy?
What Happens To Your Body When You Fast?

Here is a thread on the mark's daily apple forum a/b IF and eating windows that you all may find interesting as well.

I've found IFing has happened naturally for me eating a more paleo/primal kind of diet, and I've enjoyed doing it. I typically do a longer eating window (so not really fast 5, but the same priciple) of 8-10 hours for eating w/ a 14-16 hour fast. I feel like doing regular short fasts is very healing and helpful for my digestive system.

I'm interested in maybe doing this more regularly (daily?) I tend to just do it as I feel like it, which generally, for me, means skipping breakfast 3-4x a week. (And I've never felt any problems from doing this. I usually only fast when I'm not hungry/don't really feel like eating.)

I do think having a cap at like, 7:00 pm would be really good *for me*. Have any of you checked out _Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival_? The author suggests that b/c most of us stay up later than is biologically/evolutionarily appropriate (past the time when the sun goes down, using artificial lights) that we are cuing our body to eat (overeat) mostly sugary foods late at night. Even if I don't get to bed earlier, I think stopping any snacking/eating once the sun goes down could be helpful for me. I notice a major difference in what I crave/don't crave during the day vs late at night.

Cool thread!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I have never been a fan of fad diets.
From an evolutionary perspective, fasting would have been naturally built into our ancestors' lives (and genes.) Hunter gatherers would have had times without food readily available at some point in their days, times when they lost a hunt, times when plant foods were scarce, etc. Times of going without. There is actually much research in support of caloric restriction as being very beneficial for longevity and health.

I'm sure our long ago ancestors did NOT eat all of their food in a 5 hour eating window on a daily basis, but the concept of fasting between meals, sometimes for extended periods of time, does not seem like a fad to me personally.

Just wanted to share!

I traditional foods
Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks Fairy!

Yeah, this is definitely not a fad diet. There is tons of research behind fasting and calorie restriction. In fact, it's not a "diet" at all. Weight loss may occur, however, the goal is overall health.

My current goal is to just stop eating sugar during my eating window. Sugar is poison. I know it. But, I'm eating way too much of it.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all. I'm so glad others have stumbled onto this thread.

AprilParis, I would understand your concern about binge eating, but in actuality, this is the only approach so far that seems to help me avoid binge eating. Also, for me, this doesn't feel like a fad diet. It feels more like a next step after a long process or progression of steps. The first step for me was to clean up what I was eating, and to understand that there are certain foods that trigger binges. One such food is the lowly peanut and the butter that is derived from it. As long as I can avoid that first handful or spoonful, I know I'm OK. There is just no way I can control my consumption of peanuts and anything made with them. So, I just don't buy any of it any more.

The next step for me was to stop nighttime eating. This has taken years to solidify in my behavioral adjustment. It's easier now than it was 10 years ago because most days of the week we go to bed really early. I have small kids, and hubby's an OR MD, and so as a family we tend to turn in early.

A very significant part for me is how well Fast5 fits into my lifestyle. It doesn't require me to plan separate menus, but rather allows me to enjoy cooking a variety of dishes that the whole family enjoys. It doesn't require me to think about food or food choices all day long. When the option isn't there, then there's no choice to make. Also, I found that when I used to eat breakfast it set me up for a day-long grazefest that then culminated in a sit-down dinner, because it's really the only time we sit together as a couple and family during the week. It was just too much food for me. My digestive system never got a break. My pancreas never got to slow down. My appetite was constantly nagging me. For me, a fired up metabolism from eating several small meals during the day also means a ravenous appetite, and too many situations in which I'm required to exercise will-power, more opportunities for failure and a binge-fest.

I've tried to do the low-carb thing many times. I like it and it works wonders for me in terms of weight loss. Perhaps that will be the next step in the process, once my kids are older and can tolerate a more "grown-up" style of eating. I do believe that a Paleo approach to eating with intermittent fasting is the healthiest and sanest for humans. I'm just not there yet, and that's OK. Right now I'm still working on refining and settling into Fast-5. Fast-5 is more a behavioral modification than a diet. I'm pretty confident that once the behavioral piece is established, the other parts can build on it. I've always thought that most diets address the "what" rather than the "how".

I think that the advice to eat six small meals a day actually triggers and reinforces binge eating. People just don't really need to eat all that much and all that often. And in most of the rest of the world, people really only eat one "meal" a day, and that meal is eaten earlier in the day rather than later so that the body has the possibility of digesting before slowing down for the night. At night, the body can go into repair and build mode rather than being in digestion mode.

One last thought: I think that Fast-5 operates on its own behavioral reinforcement pathway. It's hard for some to get started (though for me it hasn't been), but once you start feeling the benefits, both physical and mental, and once you've experienced the "liberation" that many people experience, you really are more likely to continue doing it.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Phinny'sMom - I think you and I are twins - right down to the peanut butter obsession, the graze fest, trying low carb many, many times etc....

This way of eating takes away the insanity. I don't think about food all that much anymore. I'm still in the initial stages and still struggling a bit with binging but, it's getting better every day.

Like last night - I did fantastic. Although I had a peanut butter sandwich on low carb bread to break my fast, I only had one. And, I was totally fine with that. I then ran some errands, and had dinner - a very healthy veggie/sausage dinner. But, then, I did have a couple mini candy bars. I'm still justifying sugar in my head. And, for me, that's what I need to work on. There just really isn't any justification for sugar. It's terrible for you. I know it.

But, at least now, when I do have it, I have it in one sitting - I'm not eating it all day long. When you graze on chocolate, by the end of the day, I'd find myself having eaten 10 - 15 mini candy bars. Last night, it was 5. Still too many but, certainly better and more in control than before.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM

I think a fad diet is something that is done for the short term and is not looked at as a long term solution. I personally couldn't do this diet for the rest of my life, because it is way to restrictive, so to me it is a fad diet.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM

By that logic, any way of eating is a "fad diet" because to someone, any diet will be way too restrictive and they wouldn't be able to do it for the rest of their lives.

Fad Diet is such a subjective phrase. Personally, whatever works for you is great with me and whatever works for me is great too
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think that a way of eating can be judged to be a fad diet can only in retrospect, and then only by the individual who has undertaken it, as a fad is, by definition, something that passes over time and gives way to something equally transient. By this definition, a definition which happens to suit me just fine, if I manage to make Fast 5 an indefinite way of life, then in retrospect, I won't be calling it a fad diet. If, however, it goes the way of the "eat 6 small meals a day based upon the government's food pyramid" or the Atkins diet, then it will have been a fad. Right now, I'm enjoying how this feels and I think I'll be doing it long-term, especially since it doesn't seem to interrupt or be interrupted by all the other things going on in my life. Right now it fits, and it fits like no other approach has since I got married and had children, so I'm pretty hopeful. Only time will tell.

I just ate 2.5 slices of pizza and thoroughly enjoyed them. I had a glass of wine and some steamed broccoli on the side, as well as some left-over baked sweet potato from yesterday. I had a sliver of French bread with a bit of Nutella for dessert. I'm done with caloric intake for the day. Because I hadn't eaten all day, except for a smoothie at 2:30 pm, I'm not feeling stuffed, bloated, or weighed down. Tomorrow morning, I know I will wake up with a soft, flat abdomen, and a clear head.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 PM

That's exactly right. Diets don't work. That's why I eat healthy and exercise which is something I can maintain for the rest of my life.

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about what I though of the F5 diet.

I really hope you are successful in achieving your goals.

April
Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ParisApril. Much luck to you, too, in your continued pursuit of health and happiness.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Super happy with how today went! I really am adjusting, just like the author said. Just for fun, I counted calories and carbs and I'm under 80 carbs (probably much lower if I deduct fiber) around 1500 calories and I did fantastic on the whole sugar issue! I had 2 dark chocolate kisses. Not bad! And, ive got a half hour left and I'm done eating. I'm not feeling the need to stuff myself before the window closes. I'm satisfied and done. A Goidelic day!

How about you Phinnysmom? Hope you had great day!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I must say that today was less than ideal for me, but I'm OK with it. It's easier for me to get right back into it on Monday. In all truth, I haven't really eaten all that much, and I feel OK. But I did eat past my window. Oh well. Onward ho! Like the author says, the first few weeks are an adjustment period, and to expect bloopers.

I'm glad it went well for you Amcal! Looking forward to another excellent week with Fast 5! Tomorrow, I ship the kids off to school and off to Yoga I go!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 AM

Yeah, not a great day for me. I haven't had any problem keeping to the window but,I'm really struggling with eating too much during my open window and, eating junk. Tonight I ate pizza and too much chocolate

I exercise almost daily for 45 min on the treadmill either running intervals or walking up hill so, I justify poor food choices. Sigh....

But, you're right. Tomorrow is the start of a fresh week. My goal whole foods only!

We can do this!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. So, I came back from Yoga at noon today and felt ravenously hungry, so instead of making myself a green smoothie, I went ahead and had a meal. Hubby's away on business for the next few days, so there isn't any reason to fuss over dinner, so it'll be easier for me to have something light close to the end of my "window".

There's definitely a learning curve involved in doing this.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Phinnysmom--how do you like fasted yoga? (I love it! )

I'm doing a long fast today (for me) and planning to wait till dinner to eat. I'm feeling fine now and drinking water, just going about my day w/ ds and the kiddo I babysit. Although I don't do strict fast-5, I love the ideas and science behind it, and may try and do a longer fast 1x a week, along w/ my shorter fasts (skipping breakfast) that happen throughout the week, and the days where I just do a reg. breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What I really love about fasting though, is that freedom feeling of not needing to figure out multiple things to eat, not needing to play mental games about various snacks I will or will not have, etc. I also like planning for my break-the-fast meals as well--that is fun and exciting.

Good stuff! I'm here ladies, just doing it in a manner that works for me atm!

I traditional foods
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Hey ladies--came across these links and thought you might be interested. Both from the 'lean gains' site--which recommends an 8-10 hr eating window, 12-14 hour fast daily. Just thought I'd share!

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked

Lean Gains Guide (different from Fast 5, but may be helpful anyway? I've yet to read it--off to check it out more now...) ETA: I don't follow the 'lean gains' program, but find it interesting. (I'm more of a TF paleo/primal gal, but my fasting patterns most closely mimic those at lean gains.)

Ended my fast w/ a green smoothie. About to have some chicken wings (homemade, w/ homemade Buffalo sauce) and sauteed broccoli and garlic. Mmmmm!!

I traditional foods
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hey FaeryRae, I actually can't do yoga except in a fasted state. I follow Iyengar's teaching that yoga be done no less than 3 hours after eating, ideally after having evacuated. I'll rarely practice after 1 pm.

I skimmed through the lean gains site. Interesting enough. I might revisit it at some point. Right now, I'm very much focused on the behavioral aspects of intermittent fasting. I think that's the foundation. Once that's established I can decide whether the content of my diet needs tweaking. For now, though, I'm loving eating the things I like during my feeding window. I like my coconut kefir green smoothies for breaking my fast. Sometimes I make one while I'm cooking dinner so that I'm not tempted to eat other things. In my book, green smoothies are an unrestricted/unlimited. And I am an absolute rice lover, and I like my seasonal fruits. As long as I can have my daily rice, my greens, and an apple or asian pear or two I am a happy woman. I also try to include adequate animal-based proteins and fats. I, too, am a TF-type, although I pick and choose the parts of it that suit me. Maybe as the kids get older I'll start making my own yogurt and kefir again, but for now, So Delicious Coconut Kefir and Fage Yogurt are working nicely.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinnysMom View Post
Hey FaeryRae, I actually can't do yoga except in a fasted state. I follow Iyengar's teaching that yoga be done no less than 3 hours after eating, ideally after having evacuated. I'll rarely practice after 1 pm.

I think it's pretty widely practiced not to eat prior to yoga for a few hours (I hear you on not being able to do it after eating--that is just an uncomfortable thing to attempt!)--but I find my practice feels easier/smoother/better in general when I do a longer fast before it for 14-18+ hours. When I practice, I like to do it at the end of a fast, even if that's just in the am after not eating all night. I do find after a longer fast though, it's just a neat feeling!

I skimmed through the lean gains site. Interesting enough. I might revisit it at some point. Right now, I'm very much focused on the behavioral aspects of intermittent fasting. I think that's the foundation. Once that's established I can decide whether the content of my diet needs tweaking. For now, though, I'm loving eating the things I like during my feeding window. I like my coconut kefir green smoothies for breaking my fast. Sometimes I make one while I'm cooking dinner so that I'm not tempted to eat other things. In my book, green smoothies are an unrestricted/unlimited. And I am an absolute rice lover, and I like my seasonal fruits. As long as I can have my daily rice, my greens, and an apple or asian pear or two I am a happy woman. I also try to include adequate animal-based proteins and fats. I, too, am a TF-type, although I pick and choose the parts of it that suit me. Maybe as the kids get older I'll start making my own yogurt and kefir again, but for now, So Delicious Coconut Kefir and Fage Yogurt are working nicely.
Mmmm--your smoothies sound yummy. I make mine w/ coconut milk, used to use homemade coconut milk yogurt (mmmm--too lazy atm though ). I think going w/ whatever works for you is great. For me fasting is more about the behavioral piece as well (although for me, going a bit lower carb/higher fat--I think--allowed me to get to a place where fasting felt good/was a reality--I don't think I could have ever gone so long w/out food w/out diet changes b/c I was once a compulsive/continual snacker/grazer, related in part to blood sugar issues, IMO. Those issues vanished on a lower carb/paleo-esque type of diet for me, and led to natural periods of intermittant fasting.) The lean gains site gives really specific recs for food intake etc, which I just don't follow (which is why I shared what I prefer to eat in general). But I do find his basic fasting info helpful.

I traditional foods
Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, so today is a break from yoga for me. I find I do best when I do like two days on one day off type of thing. Since I'm relatively new to it, I find that my hands and wrists need the break more than anything else. I'm still working on getting that alignment just right so that my wrists aren't getting as much pressure as they are. It doesn't help that I'm all kinds of hyperextended in my joints, so I have to make all sorts of compensatory microbends. It's a lot to coordinate. I think it will get better once my strength catches up with my flexibility, and it'll help to lose some weigh as well, although that isn't my main preoccupation right now. For me it's building a foundation in behavior, routine, self-care. All else will follow.

Today I tried So Delicious Strawberry coconut kefir. I found that on its own, it's a little too sweet for me, but mixed 1:1 with the plain, it's actually quite delightful and refreshing, pretty filling, and not to bad a carb load. I needed something for when I'm unable to make an actual smoothie, due to time, being busy, etc..., so that I don't reach for something less than ideal to tide me over. This will do the job nicely.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinnysMom View Post
Today I tried So Delicious Strawberry coconut kefir. I found that on its own, it's a little too sweet for me, but mixed 1:1 with the plain, it's actually quite delightful and refreshing, pretty filling, and not to bad a carb load. I needed something for when I'm unable to make an actual smoothie, due to time, being busy, etc..., so that I don't reach for something less than ideal to tide me over. This will do the job nicely.
Sounds I gotta try it!!!

I traditional foods
Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's quite luscious, I must say! An excellent way to break the fast.

Hubby returns tomorrow. I miss having another grown-up in the house to eat dinner with. It's been nice not to have to fuss too much about meal planning, but at the same time, I think I make better choices when I plan things out better.

I don't know what's up with me these days, but I seem to be craving large amounts of broccoli sauteed in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, with a little sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese! Today I had it with a side of steamed Haiga rice (brown rice with the bran removed but the germ intact, aka, the most healthful rice according to Japanese researchers) and a small baked sweet potato.

I found myself wanting to munch right up to the end of my window, and realized it's probably because I hardly had any protein, aside from what was in the kefir. I've got to be a little more conscientious about my protein intake and monitor to see if the desire to binge changes.

In any case, yay me for honoring the end of my 5 hour window (noon to 5 pm), drinking a glass of water and brushing my teeth. That ritual usually helps in signaling the start of the fast. I'm feeing OK now. Comfortable, not bloated, ready to hit the sack.

I'm going into my monthly PMS week, meaning a lot of body discomfort (boob pain, mostly), and a spike in carb cravings. I'm really hoping Fast-5 will help me get through the next week or so in better shape than in previous cycles. Didn't someone tell me that we weren't supposed to be suffering from PMS after going through pregnancy, childbirth, and nursing? I nursed my son for 3.5 years, and was free from AF that whole time, and free from PMS symptoms for another year after he weaned. This whole thing just started up again like 6 months ago, and I don't like it!

User Tag List