LOTS TO LOSE (Take Two) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let's try this again, ladies! We can do it!

I wanted to start a new thread so I can update this post with names, starting weight, weight lost, method for weight loss. Ex.:

Name: AtYourCervices
Starting Weight: 218
Current Weight: 218 (just started)
Weight lost: none as of yet

Goal Weight: First goal = 199 lbs
Method: Healthy eating & exercise

Name: Judy aka DashsMama
Starting Weight: 301
Current Weight: 282
Weight Lost: 19 pounds
Method: South Beach Diet and slowly adding in exercise

Name: micah_mae_

Starting Weight: 255

Current Weight: 228.2 

Weight Lost: 21 lbs

Goal Weight: 165

Method used: Breastfeeding (starting Weight Watchers)

Name: Vannie aka vannienicole
Starting Weight: 206
Current Weight: 206 (just started)
Method: Healthy eating & Couch to 5K, one hundred pushup challenge and the awesome support of my healthy life loving kiddos

Name: Wendy

Starting Weight: 238

Current Weight: 238

Method: I'm not sure what method, yet.  Probably calorie counting, while also keeping my carbs around 50 grams a day.  I'm also minimizing grains and sugar.  I'm going to ephasize exercising more instead of the food part until the first of the year.

I woke up early this morning, ate a healthy breakfast, and got to the fitness center at about quarter past 7am. It was my first time at the gym, so I tried out all the equipment. I spent about an hour there, and worked up a good sweat. I plan on exercising some more this afternoon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

This afternoon I ended up taking a walk around the lake with my 3 y/o. It's about a 2 mile walk. We played "tag" for a bit and raced each other. When we got to the nature trail, my daughter stumbled a bit on some tree roots hidden by fallen leaves so I ended up carrying her partway through the woods. She's a big girl for her age, so that was quite the work out carrying her! LOL! Foodwise, I'm still doing good for the day.
#3 of 17 Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks for starting this back up, AtYourCervices! Sorry I've been missing in action. I had a couple stressful weeks there and needed to drop some things to get my life back in order. Life's still a bit chaotic, but I'm back and ready to get going again. Here are my stats...

Name: Judy aka DashsMama
Starting Weight: 301
Current Weight: 282
Weight Lost: 19 pounds
Method: South Beach Diet and slowly adding in exercise

I dropped off my diet there for a couple weeks and was very pleasantly surprised that I had not gained all my weight back (what with Halloween and all). I think maybe a few things can account for that. One, I stayed away from soda and other sugar-filled drinks during that time. I actually tried to drink some Coke during one meal and couldn't stand it anymore! This is HUGE for me! There were times in the past when I used to drink about 2 liters of Coke a day. Two, I stopped going to the Aqua Power classes. This is counter intuitive, but hear me out. I loved the classes, but the chlorine was doing terrible things to my skin. I think maybe the chlorine was also causing more inflammation than just my skin, and my body was retaining a lot of water because of it. This might explain why my weight had plateau'd for a while there, even though I was still dieting and working out regularly. It's just a guess, but makes sense to me.

I decided to go back to Phase 1 of SBD for another 2 weeks to try and give myself another jump start. So far, so good! I also need to find another very low impact form of exercise to start up. I'm not sure what I should focus on. I can do rowing machine, but that is so incredibly boring, I don't really want to. I much prefer a class. My knee's feeling good so maybe I'll check out some beginner's aerobics classes next week. Wish me luck!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

It feels great to be back!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#4 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can I join? I started at 255, I'm 234 now and my goal is 165. Although I'd be happy with 175 or 180.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#5 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Welcome micah_mae_! Congrats on the 21 pound loss! What have you been doing so far that has worked for you?

#6 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
Welcome micah_mae_! Congrats on the 21 pound loss! What have you been doing so far that has worked for you?
Thanks! So far just breastfeeding...I'll add in weight watchers soon. I just had a baby so I guess I might be cheating a tad but I gained 70 lbs (again).

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#7 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Down to 228.2. smile.gif I'm starting WW on the 15th and I can't wait. I'm at that point pp where I don't feel hungry and I don't crave sweets or anything (I'm sure the lack of appetite is due to ppd but hey it's a positive for weight loss).

#8 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Good luck with the Weight Watchers, micah_mae_!  It's a great program and really helped me get a handle on healthy portions and more filling, lower calorie foods.

I know this is not everyone's experience, but I had a big drop in milk supply when I did Weight Watchers (my youngest was 12 mos old, and eating solids, but still nursing heavily).  I even added in 10 extra points for nursing instead of the recommended 5.  Because of this, I recommend you (and every other nursing mama) keep an extra close watch on your baby's nursing behavior while you are dieting.  Extra fussiness, pulling at the breast, and more frequent nursing were the symptoms I noticed that clued me in to my supply issue.  Also pay attention to how your breasts feel.  Mine actually started to feel empty.

Hopefully you won't have any issues at all, but it's a good thing to be aware of.  Cheers!

#9 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post

Good luck with the Weight Watchers, micah_mae_!  It's a great program and really helped me get a handle on healthy portions and more filling, lower calorie foods.

I know this is not everyone's experience, but I had a big drop in milk supply when I did Weight Watchers (my youngest was 12 mos old, and eating solids, but still nursing heavily).  I even added in 10 extra points for nursing instead of the recommended 5.  Because of this, I recommend you (and every other nursing mama) keep an extra close watch on your baby's nursing behavior while you are dieting.  Extra fussiness, pulling at the breast, and more frequent nursing were the symptoms I noticed that clued me in to my supply issue.  Also pay attention to how your breasts feel.  Mine actually started to feel empty.

Hopefully you won't have any issues at all, but it's a good thing to be aware of.  Cheers!

Thanks! I did WW after my first was born and lost almost all my pregnancy weight, I didn't seem to have any supply issues but I know that every pregnancy/baby is different so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. smile.gif

Oh also, my oldest is named Corbin smile.gif

#10 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM

Name: Vannie
Starting Weight: 206
Current Weight: 206 (just started)
Method: Healthy eating & Couch to 5K, one hundred pushup challenge and the awesome support of my healthy life loving kiddos

#11 of 17 Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Wendy

Starting: 238

current: 238

Method: 

I'm not sure what method, yet.  Probably calorie counting, while also keeping my carbs around 50 grams a day.  I'm also minimizing grains and sugar.  I'm going to ephasize exercising more instead of the food part until the first of the year.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#12 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I'm starting to work out a little tomorrow. Walking anyway. After I had Corbin I didn't need to but I'm losing slower this time.

#13 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome everybody! So, I met a local woman who says she's interested in working out with me. We're going to try the buddy system.

I went to the gym this evening for about 40 minutes. I'm going to try to get down there every day this week, and I'll update my weight in one week. Let's see how effective it is! 

#14 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM

I didn't know there was a new thread.  Yay :)

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#15 of 17 Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Hi!

Can I join?

I have really been slacking lately and am not feeling very good about it at all.  I am at my highest weight ever and I have decided that it is unacceptable.

I am not ready to tell anyone irl about my weight loss intentions as I do not like the attention that comes with it, and I suppose there is also a fear of failure in there somewhere.

I am not sure about the method that I will be using; possibly Southbeach, possily P90X, possilbly just exercising every day with healthy choices and no evening snacking.  I am a SAHM and my husband travels a lot, so all exercise must be done with a 2yo in tow (andd possibly a 6 & 8 yr old, too).  So that adds to the challenge, but not exercising is NOT an option.

I will weigh myself and make a decision as to my plan, but in the meantime I just wanted to come out of the woodwork and introduce myself!

Reading about all of you has been motivating!

Thanks!!

#16 of 17 Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Three~Little~Birds! It is so hard to get started & hard to fit in exercise when you have kids. I totally get how you don't want to tell anybody IRL about your intentions. I'm the same way. I don't want others to judge me, or to feel like others are judging me if I'm not losing weight or if I slip up on my diet.

Everybody: How about a push to get started? The challenge? Lose 1 lb this week. Just 1 lb. That's the challenge. Sounds, simple, huh? No cheating, weighing yourself fully clothed this week, then naked next week. No weighing yourself when you have to go to the bathroom this week and weighing yourself after using the bathroom next week. Wear the same clothes, at the same time of day. If you cheat on your weigh in, you're only cheating yourself. Come on, girls! We can do it! 

Remember, if you lose one pound a week, that still adds up to 52 lbs a year. 104 lbs in two years, etc. It takes 3500 calories to equal one pound of body weight. Consume 500 less calories a day, or exercise for 45-60 minutes a day at a moderate-high intensity to burn 500 calories. You could do a combination of the two. Good luck!

#17 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM

We had a potluck at work today.  I think I did pretty well.  I stuck with mostly meat and veggies.   I stopped eating when I was full & ate only a small serving of dessert.  Much better than I usually do at potlucks.

We walked at the mall tonight and cleaned the basement.  I didn't push it too hard, but at least I was active tonight.  Had steak and salad for dinner.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page