Mothering Forum banner

Postpartum Weight Loss- November!

4K views 106 replies 21 participants last post by  jess_paez 
#1 ·
So I can hardly believe it is already NOVEMBER! This is a special month for our thread, as it is has been 6 whole months since we started our monthly thread, we sure have come a long way! I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us!

We've gotten a lot of new ladies this month, lets all help keep each other accountable as we reach our goals! We love to see progress pictures, so don't be afraid to share, this is a no judgment zone!

This is our official accountability thread!
If you want to be added to the roll, let me know your info and I will get you listed. And of course, let me know any changes you want made to your listing by posting in bold. We want to share your success with you!
If you have any links to tips, recipes or exercise you want to share, I will post that too.

Original Thread
Link to last month's thread.

Current Hot Mama's-
Amandamanda- Current Weight- 140lbs, Goal Weight- 135lbs, Total Lost- 60lbs!
Nola79- Current Weight- 134lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 41lbs!
AnnieMac- Current Weight- 110.5lbs, Goal Weight- 100lbs, Total Lost- 31lbs!
Kitteh- Current Weight- 127lbs, Goal Weight- 116lbs, Total Lost- 27lbs!
Mandica- Current Weight- 143lbs, Goal Weight- 134lbs, Total Lost-60lbs!
Pacificbliss- Current Weight- 184lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 10lbs!
Carley- Current Weight- 130lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 26lbs!
Mamacatsbaby-Current Weight- 185lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 10lbs!
SpuglyRoo- Current Weight- 139.5lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 43lbs!
Tracymom1- Current Weight- 127lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost- 23lbs!
Lovemore- Current Weight- 124lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost-31lbs!
Decafmom-Current Weight- 122lbs, Goal Weight- 110lbs, Total Lost- 29.5lbs!
Loveneverfails-Current Weight- 167.6lbs, Goal Weight- 160lbs, Total Lost-5lbs!
Hannah32- Current Weight- 178lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 27lbs!
Sosurreal09- Current Weight- 163.3lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 75lbs!
Fruitful4him- Current Weight- 199lbs, Goal Weight- 160lbs, Total Lost- 48lbs!
P.J.- Current Weight- 155lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 22lbs!
Sunsetdancer- Current Weight- 233lbs, Goal Weight- 153lbs, Total Lost-
JAntoinette- Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 132lbs, Total Lost-
Theoldmommers- Current Weight- 129lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost- 38lbs!
Ihugtrees- Current Weight- 165lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-
Gobecgo- Current Weight- 211lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 20lbs!
Geigerin- Current Weight- 208lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-
Mammab21- Current Weight- 160lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-
MamitaM- Current Weight- 128lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 32lbs!
Jess_paez- Current Weight- 181lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 23lbs!
Maciascl- Current Weight- 168.5lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 5lbs!
Aphel- Current Weight- 165lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 5lbs!
RaeRae91-Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 28lbs!
OneWithTwo- Current Weight- 200lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost-
Chloe'sMama- Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 135lbs, Total Lost- 20lbs!
Amy@STL- Current Weight-184lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-
CherryBomb- Current Weight- 238lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 27lbs!

See less See more
#2 ·
Happy November guys.

I am a bit sad this morning. After my great weigh in yesterday (139.6 for those who missed it), I sent the wiifit picture in a text to my (quite overweight herself) mother, who responded very unenthusiastically with something like "good" or "okay" or something like that. When I questioned her about it, she said that she just doesn't want me to take it too far, and that she is jealous yadda yadda, etc.

So this morning I am talking to my (childless normal weight/thin) sister who is 2 years younger than me, and when I told her how our mom didn't really care about my weight loss, she said to me and I QUOTE- "oh, yeah i know well it is because mom realizes that at that weight you are still fat for your height, I mean- I weigh the same as you and I am 4 inches taller" (btw, she is only 3 inches taller)

I am just feeling like a big joke to my family, and that they all just are humoring me or something. The thing is, my sister and I are very close and I don't even think she was trying to hurt my feelings when she said it. She was just speaking what she thinks to be the truth. She is 22, and a little immature, but she isn't a mean person. Which is why I am feeling so upset over this.

I just feel like nothing will ever be good enough. How much weight do I have to lose in what period of time to be taken seriously? Because this time 8 months ago I was 220lbs (and about to pop!)

I realize I will never be "skinny"- that was never my goal anyway. I just want to be healthy. I think I've done that. My BMI is in a normal range, but apparently not according to the standards of my family. I even told my sister how it is nice to go to the doctor and not have them be like "oh you should lose weight" and she said to me "yeah, but its not like they are telling you to gain more weight."

It is just such a difference from the motivation I get when talking to DH's family. I LOVE my in-laws. They are so supportive and motivating, and genuine and I feel so proud of myself after talking to them. Why can't I have that with my own family? My parents are coming to visit on Thursday and I was so excited to see them, since it is the first time I will be seeing them (not through skype that is) since April, at 1 month postpartum (and 200lbs). Now I am not so excited anymore.

I just feel sad today. I haven't even weighed yet. I don't think I even want to.

#3 ·
Oh Amanda ((hugs)). Sometimes even as parents ourselves, our families can be so, so hurtful. I am sorry. I know it cuts deep. You have made incredible progress. For your own health (emotional and otherwise) I would really encourage you to focus on the people who allow you to feel good about the progress you have made. (Your incredible, incredible progress!)

I am sort of dealing with my own family of origin issues. I love my life and am generally happy and content except when my very toxic family of origin enters the mix. I can't get into it here except to say it cuts deep and I have shed many tears and have experienced much heartache over these things. I am trying to take my own advice and just focus on the joy I have and not on what will never be...but its hard. I feel like...I would like to think that in the past the mistakes my parents made and hurts caused may have been due to ...whatever. I can forgive and move on. I really want to. Family is important to me and I long for that generational connection for myself and my children. But now...sometimes I feel that the heartache and hurt is intentional. Maybe my parents didn't just make mistakes. Maybe they are just toxic, evil people who want to lash out and hurt. Not all parents love their children and maybe mine just regret having me. It is what it is. Anyways. I am choosing to focus on what I do have. My husband likes to say: Focus on what is here in THIS house. The people who love you. That is what matters. He is right, I know. I am so blessed to have such a loving, caring husband to nurture me. His love has allowed me to heal from so much but I am still a scarred, emotional mess somtimes. BUT!!!! I am NOT falling into depression or finding stuffing my feelings and (attempting to) find comfort in food any longer. I am eating less and moving more and loving Weight Watchers.

Amanda, would you change my weight? I am down to 207 as of this morning. I have lost over 40 pounds and am almost at my halfway mark of the weight I would like to lose.

#4 ·
Amanda and Fruitful- Ouch! It really stinks when the people who you feel should love and support you and want the best for you, more so than anyone else in the world because they are your family, well, when they either passively or actively don't. I'm really sorry about it, not that there is anything I can do, but just know that there are people who are proud of you, there are people who love you and will support you. Surround yourself with them so that they can help build you up. That way when someone tries to tear you down you'll be up so high they can't reach you and their attempt will be insignificant. Keep up the good work ladies and use this experience to help become better mommies for your little angels. Snuggle them closer and keep in mind that you aren't doing this for anyone but yourself and the families you created. You, your husbands, and your kids. That is who you are doing it for. Stay strong and let them be your motivation to keep working towards a happier, healthier (and lighter) you.

#6 ·
Amanda, regardless of what your fam thinks, I wanted you to know that I find your story very inspiring. I was 139 at my very first prenatal appt, and was 210 on the day I delivered
. I can only hope to be where you are at eight months postpartum!

Anyway, I posted my info on last month's thread, but I think it got missed (posted the 31st), so . . . . .

I'm aphel, current weight 168, goal of 135.

Hope to be loosin' lots with you ladies, and hoping for tips and encouragement!

#7 ·
Amanda, no offense but it sounds like your family is a bunch of haters. Some people just don't like to see others succeed. Your mom is probably just jealous. Your sister is probably used to being the "skinny" one and now you're honing in on her territory so she's trying to undermine your success.
You're doing great, please don't let them bring you down.

#8 ·
Amanda, I think you're doing wonderful. My family is all skinny...including all of my aunts, cousins, etc. I am the fattest one (BY FAR!) out of all of the female relatives, which is about 20 people. Even my cousin's wife, who had a baby 2 months after me, was back to her pre-pregnancy weight & flat belly BEFORE getting pregnant with Baby #2 who is due in December. What's worse, is they all eat pretty unhealthy diets & none of them had breastfeeding to help them burn calories.

As for me, you can put my weight at 163. Goal weight: 130...no weight lost

So after completely losing motivation last week, I've been eating horribly. I'm also FEELING horribly. I really need to get back to the low carb, grain free, high protein thing.

#9 ·
Amanda - I agree with Nola79. I have a friend who is just the nicest person. When her older, depressed, fatter sister got on the medication she needed, started to feel better and lost weight I commented on how she looked great and I was so happy for her. My friend replied, "yeah, but I guess now I'm the fat one!" I was appalled! They are really close too. When I saw your picture with your DD I thought, wow what a thin pretty girl! *That* is how the world sees you, sweetie, and your sister and your mom know it!

Well, I'm still doing great on WW, logging all my points, etc. I weighed today, but I'll wait until tomorrow to post it since Wed. is my weigh in day. DD is sleeping really badly day and night and I haven't been scarfing junk to compensate for my fatigue! I'm so tired I keep walking into things and forgetting why I came into a room.

Halloween candy eaten - zero! It scares me anyway. My son sold all his candy to us and DH is going to take it in to work tomorrow. Sigh...I used to love PB Cups, but they're not the candy they used to be.

#10 ·
Amanda! That sounds so hurtful.
You have done (and are doing) such a great job! I've seen your pictures-you are an inspiration and the reason I joined this thread. You look healthy and in shape. You look....amazing. And I bet you feel great. Try not to let that get you down. Some just cannot handle when their ego is challenged. I don't get it.
Whenever you think about your mom and sister, think about how you would treat your girls if they were getting in shape and wanting to be healthier. Never in a million years would you say those things. They should be happy for you mama, you are doing fantastic.
Same goes for you Fruitful-you're right...focus on your loving family at home. You are doing great! 40 lbs lost, you deserve a ton of credit. I am loving weight watchers too-eating this way feels fabulous. I love the way I am eating now.
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I bought a new scale last week. I wanted to be able to see numbers instead of trying to figure out my dial scale. I am going to weigh in every Friday-although that hasn't stopped me from taking a peek every couple days.

I'm going strong on ww's. This morning I had one packet of oatmeal (with water) and one cup of peaches-3 points. I just love what it is teaching me about healthy alternatives and better choices. I'm wanting to drink a full pitcher of water throughout the day. It is 2 liters. I can do this...*sigh* What is it about drinking water that it is SO hard to do? Maybe it's the fact that I have to pee...A LOT. Ugh. Oh well...I have to do it. When I get to 182, I'll have you change my weight Amanda.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldmommers View Post

Halloween candy eaten - zero! It scares me anyway. My son sold all his candy to us and DH is going to take it in to work tomorrow. Sigh...I used to love PB Cups, but they're not the candy they used to be.
I had one small sucker and a couple pieces of gum from our candy stash. I have literally one HUGE tupperware and one small one stuffed with the candy we wanted to give to trick or treaters, but we only had about 10. Boo. I was hoping to unload it all. We started giving huge handfuls when we realized it was going to be a slow night. haha
I feel the same way about candy -I used to love pb cups too and other chocolatey snacks...I had a quaker oats maple/brown sugar fiber type bar last night-heated it up in the microwave for 7 seconds and it was amazing and very filling. And the taste-I was shocked to find that it was so much better than any other candies/treats. It was 3 points-could be better, but it wasn't a bad choice and gave me that sweet snack I was craving.

#12 ·
Hey, I just wanted to let all you ladies know that if you are looking to get rid of an excess of candy you might want to consider donating it to our soldiers overseas. I just read about it here I know that I'm glad my DS is to young to have collected any and we only had a few pieces left from what we bought to hand out. I can't have it in the house or I'll overindulge.

The earlier posts about people commenting on our weight/weightloss made me remember something DH's grandmother once asked me. In reference to my two sisters and their twiggyness she asked, "How does it feel to be the meaty one?" And this was back before I ever got pregnant and was in relatively good shape! Some people have a lot of nerve, and it is better to avoid situations where they can exercise their lack of tact/support/love/etc.

#13 ·
Thank you all for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me seriously.

I am just going to let the situation with my family go. I can't know what is in their minds or hearts, but I can know what is in mine. I am proud of myself, and I am a healthier me for my children, and that is all that matters!

I didn't weigh yesterday and I ate a good amount of candy. But its out of my system and I weighed in at 139.8 this morning, so I'm still happy! And my little baby boy is 8 months old today! I can't believe it!

Anyway, its a new month, and I love a new month- endless possibilities! Next hurdle- THANKSGIVING! I do love me some thanksgiving foods. Luckily it is easier to eat healthy over thanksgiving. Just need to come up with some not too bad sides!

#14 ·
I've been thinking a lot lately about the whole 'lifestyle change' required to really keep weight off. Its like I've heard it again and again, and know it to be true, but how do you change habits? How do you continue to be healthy when being healthy and losing weight is not on the forefront of your existence?

I've contemplated in the past how when I'm eating and eating and eating and gaining weight, I'm generally pretty happy. Its not until I step on the scale a few months later and realize what happened that I get upset. And the ability to lose weight has come largely with being unhappy and seeking control over the one thing I really do have control over - my body!

I think I've come to realize that my issues with food and body image are far worse than I previously thought.

So whats next? How do I keep health a priority for longer periods of time?

I'm thinking about joining weight watchers meetings and having that as a regular reminder of my goal. I'm used to the program, but I think the weekly meeting and weigh in will go along way to keeping accountable. I love the idea of reaching 'life-time' and getting to go to meetings for free! That's a great goal.

Sigh, thank you for letting me think 'out loud' here.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandica View Post
I've been thinking a lot lately about the whole 'lifestyle change' required to really keep weight off. Its like I've heard it again and again, and know it to be true, but how do you change habits? How do you continue to be healthy when being healthy and losing weight is not on the forefront of your existence?

I've contemplated in the past how when I'm eating and eating and eating and gaining weight, I'm generally pretty happy. Its not until I step on the scale a few months later and realize what happened that I get upset. And the ability to lose weight has come largely with being unhappy and seeking control over the one thing I really do have control over - my body!

I think I've come to realize that my issues with food and body image are far worse than I previously thought.

So whats next? How do I keep health a priority for longer periods of time?

I'm thinking about joining weight watchers meetings and having that as a regular reminder of my goal. I'm used to the program, but I think the weekly meeting and weigh in will go along way to keeping accountable. I love the idea of reaching 'life-time' and getting to go to meetings for free! That's a great goal.

Sigh, thank you for letting me think 'out loud' here.

It IS totally complicated, isn't it? I know what you mean. When I was at my thinnest, it was because I was so stressed out my body was breaking down, refusing to absorb nutrients. And the chubbiest I've ever been was when I was in a relationship with a nice man who treated me very well (and who also hunted and fished and cooked, so we ate very well). I've also noticed that if I eat dairy on a regular basis, I'm calmer (and being calm is important for a nervous little dog like me); however, it makes me feel nauseated and packs on the pounds.

As far as lifestyle change goes, I think it works the same as creating any new habit. You have to do it X number of times (there really IS a certain number, just can't recall it) before the pathways are formed, but then it's easy. When I was working an office job, I went to the gym or rode my bike every single lunch hour. It was hard at first, but after a while I grew to look forward to it, because I could listen to my iPod really loud -- just a little treat helped me with motivation. And the bike riding, I had a partner for, so if I flaked I felt like I let him down.

#16 ·
133lbs today! Update please. The good thing about WW is that it's helping me establish good habits without feeling deprived. I'm hoping to keep going strong even when the inevitable plateau hits. I'm not doing much exercise since I'm still in the fun early big loss phase. I'm going to keep it in the bag to give me a boost when things slow down. I'm just doing some walking, bike riding and trying out new yoga videos. After doing the 30 Day Shred for 30 consecutive days anything less seems like a walk in the park!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
Ugh. I hate to say it. I'm up to 210.5. Very discouraged. I'm weighing and measuring my food, walking every day. I thought bf-ing was supposed to help shed pounds?
I lost 20 lbs in the first 6 weeks after I had my DD, then gained 10 lbs back as I nursed...AND my diet has been getting healthier and healthier, and I've become more active in that time. If my diet or activity level had stayed the same, I think it would've been more weight than just 10 lbs.

#19 ·
could I join in?

OneWithTwo current weight 200lbs goal 150lbs

I need tons of encouragement and tips. What are some things I should be doing? It rains MAJOR here, so what kinds of exercises should I do? Will it affect breastfeeding? How many calories should I be eating?
SOoo many questions and no idea where to start.....

#20 ·
Welcome erickalynne! I'm not the best for advice (i'm just trying to eat healthy foods and exercise like i used to, since i know how i lived when i was at goal weight before
) but
to the thread and best of luck on your journey

Amanda i don't know how to put this so i'll just blurt it out....your family has messed up issues with food. There. I said it. Your mom fears being HEALTHY is "taking it too far", your sister thinks being HEALTHY isn't "as good" as being told you're unhealthy for being underweight...? Messed up. You are healthy, you look divine, and you did this ALL YOURSELF! YOU DID IT. OF COURSE they are gonna say odd stuff, there is odd stuff going on in their heads when it comes to food/weight/health etc.

You are not doing this to be "good enough" for them, remember? You are doing this because you LOVE you! YOU Amanda, no-one else. You did the hard work, you get the fantastic results (and sure, it's nice to look good, but it's amazing to be able to run up stairs, do a hard workout or walk for 10miles and feel full of health while you do it isn't it?). And you are good enough. You were better than good enough at 200lbs. If they fail to see your obvious greatness that is really sad...for THEM.

Massive hugs to you, you sound really down. Weigh or don't weigh, but don't let other's judgement/craziness kill your well-earned-hugely-deserved buzz. You rock OUT woman!

I am starving right now - our boiler broke last Friday and it's been a weird week of contacting plumbers and arranging stuff. Finally today we got our new one fitted but due to the fact that we had old pipes they had to re-do the whole gasline from the meter out, which meant taking up floors/drilling through walls etc. We were holed up in the front bedroom all day (if we had been Anne Frank's family we'd have lasted about 6 hours before discovery, the kids were soooo noisy!!
). So now it's 10hours later, the boiler is in and on, and i just had a super long hot shower. I've been having cold ones since last weekend (DH goes to the gym and the kids i bathed in the kitchen sink, but me, there was no real choice...).

I am really enjoying my running again nowadays. I began a couch to 5k, but week one was super easy (i did it twice) and so was week 2 (i did it once) and 3 (i did it twice), so now i'm on week 4 which is 16mins running out of 30mins total. I'm LOVING it, i ran home from a freind's house with DD in the jogger the other day and remembered how good it could feel (though i had to celebrate it with a cold shower! how rude) so i'm really looking forward to being back up to 10k runs by the spring

Foodwise everything is out the window. Eat too much and i gain weight, eat too little and i can't pump enough milk for my donor-getting baby.... balance, in all things, is my aim.

#21 ·
welcome erica! i just started my new weight loss journey and goals on the 11th or 12th of october, so i am not going to be great for advice, but i do recommend 30 day shred (it's a workout dvd-20 minutes). All you need is handweights (mine are 3lbs right now) and a mat if you work out on a hard surface. the dvd was under 10$ and i bought mine at target-it's near the exercise gear. i did it today (finally!!) and was surprised how easy it was when i did it while listening to my ipod. i still had to take a small breather, because it's been some time since i've done it last, but in some time it should come easier for me. i've heard a lot of people having success with it, but don't see much change when it comes to the scale, but they say their clothes are fitting tons better!! i'm going to do it everyday. i don't want to take a break. if i do, then i have a feeling i won't pick it back up-i need a daily routine.
i can't recommend weight watchers enough. i really love it. once i got into a groove with it, i find that counting the points is easy and i don't have to even look it up (more often than not), because i eat mostly the same things in rotation. i know a banana is 2 pts and a cup of peaches is one-and so on.
the big thing? i've been drinking no less than 2 liters of water a day. i feel great and it really helps with digestion. you retain less water this way too.
i am down to 181. i was 183.6 last Fri. i'll weight in tomorrow and get the final number. and then i will desperately try not to weigh everyday.

#22 ·
I did it! I went to my first weight watchers meeting.
It was nice, I like that I can bring my baby.

I weighed in at 147.8 ... only 3 pounds over my 'current' weight on this forum, so turns out maybe I didn't gain -that- much back in my 'back to work transition period'.

We talked about a 10% of my body weight goal... so 14 pounds. I honestly cant really imagine being 134 pounds but Im really excited to get there!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
is it cheating if I use the Wii? I rented Just Dance 2 and WOW..talk about burning some calories!
cheating? no way! i say that's awesome...any way to exercise is wonderful, especially if it's fun.

mandica
i loveeeee weight watchers. seriously. i've found that i am wanting to experiment with new foods now too. for instance, we got a magazine in the mail with recipes and i am totally going to make the saucy shrimp this weekend-doesn't seem to be too many points either, although i haven't calculated yet. just adding more colors in my diet is amazing. you will do great!

#26 ·
Hi Ladies-
I would like to join! I am almost to my PP weight, but I want to lose a few more and get into shape! I was super dedicated while pregnant, running 5 days a week, but now, I can't find the motivation and my belly is all jelly still.

Current weight- 145 Goal- 135- I have lost 20 lbs since having DD2

Nice to see all of you mama's on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.