A little bummed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started working out at the gym last Wednesday and eating better too. No bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast everyday, no halloween candy over the weekend, no snacking, no snacks. And I gained 2lbs! What gives?!? I know I won't see results right away, but really gaining 2lbs!?! I almost wish I had eaten the halloween candy
#2 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Are you tracking calories?

It could be water weight, if you're really pushing yourself in the gym it's possible that your muscles are retaining water as they repair themselves. But it's more likely that while you're eating healthier, you're not eating fewer calories (lots of healthy foods are high in calories!).

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#3 of 8 Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 AM

My weight was going down, down, down, then I jumped on the scale one morning and it said I gained 4 lbs!! I ended up starting my period that day and made a vow NOT to weigh myself until it was over.

You could try entering your calories and excercise into a program like www.sparkpeople.com . It's free to join and will help you get a better idea of calories going in and calories being used by exercise.

I once worked out at the gym for a whole month 3-4 times a week for atleast an hour and dropped 1 darn pound the entire time. It was soooo frustrating. But I did notice that I could breathe better (I have asthma), and had more stamina than when I began. Sometimes you might have to look for other little things to motivate you rather than the numbers on the scale.

ETA: I never saw any REAL weight loss until I went low carb. I used to eat a lot of carbs and fruit and I felt like I was starving the whole day. Maybe you just haven't found the right eating/exercise combo to work for you yet.
#4 of 8 Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM

I also second the never weigh yourself before your period. I can be up as much as 4 lbs before mine and if I weigh myself even on day 2 of my period I find I've dropped all that water weight.

Sparkpeople - is a great website for figuring out portions, calories in/out, and you can even input recipes and see their nutritional info.

Don't get discouraged! Give yourself a good 6 weeks to see some results and don't forget to measure yourself once a month your waist, hips, thigh, arm to see if maybe you are losing inches as opposed to lbs. Sparkpeople tracks this as well.

Good for you for getting active and eating healthier!
#5 of 8 Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Anytime I have started exercising it has taken almost a month for my body to "catch" up. I will gain weight or maintain even while eating less and exercising more. Please give it time, you are doing wonderful things

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 8 Old 11-05-2010, 03:33 AM

My body gains muscle VERY quickly, so when I start working out I gain before going down. Every. Single. Time.

Staying away from the candy is never a bad thing but please don't let the scale stop you...you may find your clothes fitting better before the scale goes down.
#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeblim View Post
My body gains muscle VERY quickly, so when I start working out I gain before going down. Every. Single. Time.

Staying away from the candy is never a bad thing but please don't let the scale stop you...you may find your clothes fitting better before the scale goes down.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the support. It has been abut 2 1/2 weeks now and although I feel better and my clothes fit better, I still have yet to loss anything! I gained another pound! Oh well. I know I am on the right track.

I will say I feel much more hungry. ALL THE TIME. I have been very good about eating less/then same amount of calories, but I know it will take time. Hearing positve re-enforcement helps though, thanks :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page