Witchy Weight Loss and Support - Yule be losing some weight with us! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

i just have to admit, despite how much i whine about the dust and dryness and heat and lack of "real" plants here, i do rather love the fact that it's sunny and 70 and i just had the most LOVELY swim...... ahhhhh. 

Sounds divine. treehugger.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm in for the chakra talk, whenever, whereever.  I need some incentive to get my chakra stone necklaces done and redone. I have a lot to learn.

aweyn, I have to let you know dreamed last night that I was in store after store, in front of shelves of Bach and FES flower remedies, looking for the right one to put in my navel.

Back to basics for health (and weight loss, not incidentally) last night - instead of staying up late (and snacking) I went to bed early and woke up feeling loads better than lately.  Surgery for my nose/sinus infection issue to be on Monday, so I'm shamelessly soliciting any good vibes for healing and surgical success that can be spared.  I think this is an MRSA infection (they'll do cultures after surgery), and I think it is becoming resistant to even the strong abx I'm taking :-( .  If I don't take my abx exactly on schedule, I start feeling fluish, like I'm coming down with mastitis, if that sounds familiar to anyone.  Wish I could just take a baby to bed and nurse it all away....

ETA Quantumk is a great idea.  Will watch it this afternoon.  Here is the link for anyone who doesn't know it -- think of it as a beautiful meditation for emotional/mental/physical health and wellness.  Worth the time.  

Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM

ok, i think i'll start a chakra thread in jan... maybe in HH, maybe spirit... i'll tap on it. ;-)

aubergine, that is hilarious about the navel flower. (it's star thistle, in case anyone wants to be silly like me!) ;-)

there is an herbal magazine that has an article this month about essential oils and drug-resistant bacteria. i can find it if you're interested...

i will be thinking of you and hoping for awesome success on monday!!!! 

is it almost new moon? excellent time for surgery! fingers crossed, keep us posted!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<vibes>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Completely fell off the fitness band wagon the last several weeks.  The good news, I've only gained two pounds (checked yesterday morning). 

So trying to rethink my goals in the middle of finals, holiday deadline knitting and other madness. 

Overall, I feel good about our eating.  We flub up every now and again, but it's pretty mind compared to what we used to do.  My college's gym is worthless.  Not the equipment (although they don't have my favorite machine - rowing, either), it is the hours M-F 9-6, um that is when I work.  So rethinking Curves (best location), Planet Fitness (best hours) or the Y (best price).  Because at this point, I think I need structure to help build the good habits like we've been able to do with food.

I think we ate fast food once or twice last month, instead of once or twice a week like the old days.  w00t!

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Aubergine - I hope your surgery goes well.  I'll be thinking of you.

Indigo - if it helps, I go to my local Y and I love it. But part of the reason I love it is because it's within walking distance, and the other part is that any conceivable time I might want to work out, it's open.  I think those are the key factors in choosing a gym!

I'm moving more and more into the whole Primal thing... sort of what I was doing before (no grains or tubers, lots of walking, with weights 2-3 times a week and interval training), but more focused.  Starting after the holidays I'm going to cut out dairy to see if the bumpy skin on my arms goes away and I'm going to try to do more walking.  I used to walk for over an hour every evening, but since the time change and the darkness I haven't been - it's just not as nice without the view.  A few times a week I can do long walk/hikes while DD is in school but I need to go back to long walks every day.  Looking back, I realize that's when my weight loss started to slow a bit, when I stopped walking so much.  Plus, it's good for the dog, and I find it so nice to have an hour or so every day just inside my head.  Poor puppy, she hurt her paw a few weeks ago (her own fault, charging through the bushes like a deer) and I thought it was all better but I tried to get her to do sprints with me today and she just wouldn't run fast enough after the first couple.  I'll leave her home next time and just do sprints in the field across the road.

I'm SO glad we're nearing Solstice... I think this is my least favourite part of the year, all dark and gloom.  The flowers start appearing in January here - snowdrops and some early cherries & almonds - and there are early spring greens to munch on in the woods - I can't wait.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Aubergine-thinking of you today and tomorrow for your procedure. goodvibes.gif  You are healthy and heal quickly!

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 AM

read this this morning. yup, that's my prob all right. even though i swim twice a week, do yoga twice a week and hike once a week, i am still fat. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/weight-loss_b_790355.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=120310&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BlogEntry&utm_term=Daily+Brief

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Aubergine - Thinking of you and sending up some healing vibes!! 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM

thought of you yesterday, aubergine, and hoping you're recovering well!

hugs, umami! huge hugs. 

i shocked myself the other day.... i was putting lotion on my arms, and --wowza! are those really my arms? i guess i shouldnt be too shocked, i mean, i've been swimming basically every day for the past three months now, but woah. those arms of mine are like ROCKS. they're larger than they were last time i swam regularly (about a year ago)... before all the insanity, lol.... so something else changed that's made them... uh.... buffer. lol. anyhow, it's a new feeling for me, and i'm kind of enjoying it. :-)

i've also noticed that my belly is... slimmer. hard to describe exactly, but less hard and puffy.... and i think it's the chamomile FE. the longer description mentions tension in the belly, and i "know" that is a huge aspect of my problems.... but the shorter quiz mentioned something about stomach congestion. and *that* feels exactly like what's .... dissolving. i even had my flow, and my cramps were barely noticeable. fascinating. 

yesterday i made up a spray of FEs (chamomile, star thistle, snapdragon) to spray on my belly-- i'm going to do that all week and see what happens! i was thinking i'll get the "white lily" blend and use that on my c-s scar and belly button.... 

hope everyone's having a nice week!

xoxoxoxoxo

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 AM

OMG it is raining so much here.  Bleh.  Somehow, though, the weather gods have been kind to me and it's been only sprinkling the last few days when I've had to take the dog for a walk.  Otherwise, solid downpour.

And I'm fighting a cold - I thought it was on its way out but I think it felt neglected and decided to stick around, just in my nose.  However, I think my body is NOT neglecting it because I've done very little this week except walk (and I did my pushups yesterday) and I've suddenly lost another 2 lbs - down to 140.5. 

Aweynsail - that's fun about your arms.  Don't you love finding muscle and strength where there wasn't any before?

Aubergine - how are you doing???

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM

ohgosh, that reminds me, half of why i never gain weight over the holidays is the getting sick! gah. 

has anyone tried the xylitol (sp?) nose spray? i've thought about it..... i tend to not like things up my nose, as they tend to upset my tummy...

i've added echinacea FE to my mix... i cant take "real" ech because i'm allergic, so i'm thinking the FE might do something fun. lol.

but something really is "changing" in my belly, ladies! i'm thinking i'll stick with that spray i made up for now, and hold off on more "healing" for after the new year (and that chakra thread revival!).... i think i'm sort of at the coasting point...... it's dh's real busy week, but soon it slows down and we start celebrating, and boy do i need a "break"! 

thinking of you, aubergine! 

xoxooxoxox

Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

OMG it is raining so much here.  Bleh.  Somehow, though, the weather gods have been kind to me and it's been only sprinkling the last few days when I've had to take the dog for a walk.  Otherwise, solid downpour.

And I'm fighting a cold - I thought it was on its way out but I think it felt neglected and decided to stick around, just in my nose.  However, I think my body is NOT neglecting it because I've done very little this week except walk (and I did my pushups yesterday) and I've suddenly lost another 2 lbs - down to 140.5. 

Aweynsail - that's fun about your arms.  Don't you love finding muscle and strength where there wasn't any before?

Aubergine - how are you doing???

Sorry about the cold, but Yay on the drop!  I'm glad the rain's cooperating.  I live in a very rainy location and know how that goes.

Quote:

ohgosh, that reminds me, half of why i never gain weight over the holidays is the getting sick! gah. 

has anyone tried the xylitol (sp?) nose spray? i've thought about it..... i tend to not like things up my nose, as they tend to upset my tummy...

i've added echinacea FE to my mix... i cant take "real" ech because i'm allergic, so i'm thinking the FE might do something fun. lol.

but something really is "changing" in my belly, ladies! i'm thinking i'll stick with that spray i made up for now, and hold off on more "healing" for after the new year (and that chakra thread revival!).... i think i'm sort of at the coasting point...... it's dh's real busy week, but soon it slows down and we start celebrating, and boy do i need a "break"! 

thinking of you, aubergine! 

xoxooxoxox

I'm curious what the xylitol nose spray is for?  Rock on for rockin' arms!  I wanted to tell you that I absolutely love your compassionate, nurturing, intuitive approach to healing.  It's really inspiring to me.

umami-That's a very interesting article that makes a very good point, IMO.  Thanks for sharing.

Thinking of you Aubergine and hoping you're as comfortable as possible.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yay for good changes in the body!  Boo to necessary meds that change our appetite and make us gain weight -- I know something about those.  Hugs, umami!

Thanks for the good thoughts.  Feeling ok, still on painkillers as my teeth and jaw just *ache*.  Processing the surgery outcome -- I had 2 bone grafts put in my upper jaw/nose area three years ago as part of reconstructive surgery, and one of them was quite infected - lost 70% of it. Don't yet know the results of the culture (I suspect MRSA), don't know how this will affect the $$$$ dental work I've had done since.  All I can do is take the antibiotics, keep the surgical areas and my nose really clean, and (the area I have most control over) work on being as healthy as  possible in body and mind.  I figure weight loss and fitness will follow. It will be a while before I do any exercise, though, as even minor straining makes my nose bleed still.  And the cold makes my face just *ache* so walking outdoors, no.  Maybe hooping, the exercise bike.

So, back to basics -- working on lights out by 10:30, drinking healthy beverages (have given up coffee), making high-quality soups (still on soft food).  Want to get some tapping in, and actually spend some time with flower essences beyond rescue remedy -- I've got a lot of emotional reactions to everything that I think are important and need to manage.

As a side note, my dh is currently officially unemployed- he'd been planning to leave his old company and start with another for a while, and he kinda got pushed into leaving a few weeks before he was financially in the best position (new job should start in Jan, there will be a lean few weeks before he gets going.  So I've been working on avoiding worry and stress about that, too.

Anyone have any great gf soup recipes, btw?  I will be making mary3mama's potato soup - similar to something I already make - and have made the Healthy Home Economist's Curried Lentil soup.  I have to get my Grandma's turkey rice soup recipe from my sister.    

Did a prosperity meditation before bed last night - from The Witches Coin -- and woke up with some really good insights.  Will be doing some more work on this area before the full moon.

I think I'm going to modify it to do this for other areas of my life, esp. health:

Basically, one starts with a progressive relaxation, going into a deep meditation state.  Then one visualizes the World Tree, and a door leading into the roots of the tree (visualized a really hobbity door!).  Then you go down the tunnel, underground, towards a light at the end of the tunnel, and enter the Temple of Prosperity (I'll be trying this again, but going into the Temple of Health, maybe the Temple of Love, Temple of the Future)  What it looks like is important, who you meet there is important (a god/goddess/guide to that area of your life may turn up)  You ask your questions, maybe are given a gift to take out with you.....then come out of the tree, express gratitude for the experience, and come back out of the meditative state.  I did this before bed, came out of the state, slept well, and woke up with some great perspectives on our prosperity situation that I hadn't had before, so I think this meditation really got my wheels turning. As I said, I'll be doing this tonight for health insight.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Hi!  Welcome back.  I'm sorry about the difficult recovery process, but it sounds like you have a great perspective and are taking the time to do some important work.  Glad you're back. smile.gif

edited to add: I love the meditation.  I'm going to see if I can make time for it.  I'm realizing that I haven't been grounded enough to "sit" for awhile.  Hmmm...

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

FR, I really didn't do the meditation justice in my description.  I highly recommend Christopher Penczak's book, the Witch's Coin.  Like most of his work, it  is practical and inclusive at the same time, just synthesizes so many ideas so usefully.  I think it offers tools that can be really useful for a lot of areas of life, including health and fitness goals (to get closer to being on topic).  I've been browsing Wiccan/Pagan works by a lot of authors for a couple of years now - when I'm ready for a year-and-a-day-course, I will probably follow Penczak's.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM

hugs and healing vibes, aubergine! so glad to see you back! that meditation sounds splendid. i need some time like that. actually, i've not been sleeping well again and last night i made use of the time to do some tapping, lol. hard to manage squished in bed with a very schnuggly little boy, but i think it really helped! maybe next time i'll try and get out of bed and do that meditation. must print it out. :-) 

eta-- btw, magnus has two new tapping routines i think you will love--- one on personal wisdom, and one just on migraines, but they're connected in a way that really resonated with me, and i think will with you....... pm me or post on fb if you cant find them and want them! (the personal wisdom he emailed, the migraine one he posted on fb-- i "shared" it on my wall.)

wow, sorry about your dh, but at the same time, i "get" the ultimate goodness of it all. we had some really rough times right after ds was born, but oh am i so grateful for them! 

soups-- i need some recipes, too. ds will eat in soups things he wont otherwise eat. i have been thinking split pea and such-- thick winter soups. my mom has the monk's year of soups book, which, hello, she never USES (i think she got it for the pictures? she does not cook.).... i think i'll borrow it...... let's put together some recipes and share them all? i would love that. we might ask on the main thread, too... clay and aeress both have some good ones, i think..... 

the zylitol nose spray is supposed to help keep your nose clean/keep bad guys out.... i dunno anyone who uses it, just keep seeing ads in the health food store mag. makes sense to me on some weird level, one that i'm not really clear on, though, lol.... it'll be one of those things i should listen to, though, you know? something telling me i should try it...... hmmm.

FR, you are so sweet. about my approach to healing... it springs from necessity, in a sense. my whole life i've had weird things that no doc has ever made sense of, and i just somehow know that i need to be the one to heal what ails me. 

i noticed today that because i'm so much more comfortable with my belly, i'm dressing differently! it's a small thing, no, actually, it's a BIG thing! lol. especially in "winter"... when i'm typically far less "comfortable" with clothing options. 

ok, i need to go put this post-swim energy to good use and go make something........ 

xoxoxoxox to all!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

soups-- i need some recipes, too. ds will eat in soups things he wont otherwise eat. i have been thinking split pea and such-- thick winter soups. my mom has the monk's year of soups book, which, hello, she never USES (i think she got it for the pictures? she does not cook.).... i think i'll borrow it...... let's put together some recipes and share them all? i would love that. we might ask on the main thread, too... clay and aeress both have some good ones, i think..... 

FR, you are so sweet. about my approach to healing... it springs from necessity, in a sense. my whole life i've had weird things that no doc has ever made sense of, and i just somehow know that i need to be the one to heal what ails me. 

I am a very firm believer that we usually have the tools and knowledge  within ourselves to heal ourselves/solve our own problems (odd to say this with the IV bruises down my arms from recent surgery but, yes, I knew that I needed surgery to start the healing on that one.)

What about spreading the Pagan love around and  heading over to the main Nutrition forum and starting a thread on Special Soups for Solstice (and other holiday occasions)?  Tasty soups to feed a crowd (or the freezer?)  Your idea to start a list, and your mom has a cookbook so you start the thread, aweyn loveeyes.gif?   We could bump the kitchen witch thread to get anyone whose subbed to that and also mention it on the main Pagan thread?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy View PostStarting after the holidays I'm going to cut out dairy to see if the bumpy skin on my arms goes away

I'm SO glad we're nearing Solstice... I think this is my least favourite part of the year, all dark and gloom.  The flowers start appearing in January here - snowdrops and some early cherries & almonds - and there are early spring greens to munch on in the woods - I can't wait.

What does dairy have to do with bumpy arms? Is it upper arms? Asking because M has kind of bumpy upper arm skin and he drinks I think at least a quart of milk a day. And I've noticed I have kind of bumpy skin on one upper arm. It doesn't bother me, doesn't itch or anything, but I've always had peaches-and-cream complexion and also my face has been having little breaky-outy issues lately. Not a lot, but for me it's a lot.

I love love love this time of year, and I love the dark half. Although I'm mostly bright and positive, I have a really gothy nature under it all somewhere, and I lurve gloom. Summer...now, I hate summer. I know; I'm weird bag.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Posti shocked myself the other day.... i was putting lotion on my arms, and --wowza! are those really my arms? i guess i shouldnt be too shocked, i mean, i've been swimming basically every day for the past three months now, but woah. those arms of mine are like ROCKS.

i've also noticed that my belly is... slimmer.

Go you, aweyn! You must feel really good about yourself. I remember how much your belly distressed you. And sexy arms, are, well....sexy lol.gif Maybe one day I'll get back into exercising. Like maybe next summer, who knows. Right now I am hibernating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Posthas anyone tried the xylitol (sp?) nose spray? i've thought about it..... i tend to not like things up my nose, as they tend to upset my tummy...

Xylitol in a nose spray?? Whaffor? I thought Xylitol is a sweetener? headscratch.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostDid a prosperity meditation before bed last night - from The Witches Coin -- and woke up with some really good insights.  Will be doing some more work on this area before the full moon.

I think I'm going to modify it to do this for other areas of my life, esp. health:

Basically, one starts with a progressive relaxation, going into a deep meditation state.  Then one visualizes the World Tree, and a door leading into the roots of the tree (visualized a really hobbity door!).  Then you go down the tunnel, underground, towards a light at the end of the tunnel, and enter the Temple of Prosperity (I'll be trying this again, but going into the Temple of Health, maybe the Temple of Love, Temple of the Future)  What it looks like is important, who you meet there is important (a god/goddess/guide to that area of your life may turn up)  You ask your questions, maybe are given a gift to take out with you.....then come out of the tree, express gratitude for the experience, and come back out of the meditative state.  I did this before bed, came out of the state, slept well, and woke up with some great perspectives on our prosperity situation that I hadn't had before, so I think this meditation really got my wheels turning. As I said, I'll be doing this tonight for health insight.

Nice meditation! I was guided in one similarly years ago. Not for prosperity but to find your...I dunno, patron God or Goddess maybe? It was so weird, because I was new on my Pagan path and the god's name that came up was Thoth. I knew nothing whatever about him and had to go doing tons of research afterwards, and really got into an Egyptian path for awhile. I do love this kind of meditation, and I would love to do this for myself, but I prefer to be "guided"-- maybe I should tape my own voice and guide my own self. If I don't have a voice to follow, I get really distracted. Egads, though; I don't think I have a microphone or tape recorder anymore. Wait! Yes I do! I have the one that I used to use to tape my classes! Yee-hah!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM

healing selves~ yes! i agree. :-) listening to ourselves for knowledge doesnt always mean we can do all the work ourselves. i've had that, also with surgery. hard to deal with, but what needed to be. hope you're healing well! if you want to look at flower essences, you might like echinacea right now...... 

soup thread~ you know, i'm just feeling too "split" right now to be mindful about it.... i feel like we're already sliding into holiday crazyness.... anyone else want to start one? maybe i will feel more settled once i send the things that need to be sent..... 

xylitol in noses.... i dunno. yes, a sweetener, and also used for teeth/mouth health.... which is maybe why it makes sense to me to go in the nose, lol.

i've added GSE to our morning routine..... aubergine, i think you use it? anyone want to give suggestions for uses? the first time i took it i felt it was something my grandpa would have used........ 

still having amazing success with FEs. other people are noticing the change in my belly! sort of sticking still with what i already have, vs adding new.... want to be in a holding pattern of sorts til after new year! :-) 

hope all are well!

xoxoxooxx

Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM

i havent been to workout for 2 weeks. the kids wre sick and then i started feeling nauseas and pukey. i have been pukey all week and smells make me barf. but i still lost weight. down another 8 lbs and have hit my goal weight of 155lbs. all i did was cut out dairy. i havent even gotten around to cutting out grains and i keep rebounding on the sweets. i would def like to keep losing more but if i stay this weight i will be happy. this is perfect for me. i have even gotten compliments from people. one said my face looked thinner. lol. so nice to hear.

good vibes to everyone. i need to go finish dinner and a project i am sewing. love to all!!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 AM

weeehew!!! that's awesome! yay! 

oh, my goddess, ladies. my belly! it's soooo strange! but so much of the fullness of it has just poofed! i am not entirely sure how, but it's just so different. i know it started with the chamomile FE. i did add the vit d drops and have also been taking crab apple FE, so both of those could have been working too.... but either way, i now have massive saggy skin! fortunately, holisticserums is having a holiday sale, lol... so i'm trying to decide if i should do tummy tucker oil again, or one of their others... anyone here used any of them? cellulite serum... or trimming mask... 

hope everyone's doing well! 

xoxoxo

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postoh, my goddess, ladies. my belly! it's soooo strange! but so much of the fullness of it has just poofed! i am not entirely sure how, but it's just so different. i know it started with the chamomile FE. i did add the vit d drops and have also been taking crab apple FE, so both of those could have been working too.... but either way, i now have massive saggy skin! fortunately, holisticserums is having a holiday sale, lol... so i'm trying to decide if i should do tummy tucker oil again, or one of their others... anyone here used any of them? cellulite serum... or trimming mask... 

So....this is good, right? Except for the saggy bits? Hey aweyn, tell more about the Vit.D drops? Do they have oil in them? Where do you get them?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Yay for the loss of poofy bellies, and the idea of yummy soup threads!  I have a small list from FB since I put out the call to my foodie friends there and many look to be gf or could easily become gf in a heartbeat! 

I am back to trying to eat gf again - since my romp through San Diego!  Too many flour tortilla chips with my chips/salsa and guacamole feasts.  I'm now feeling super sensitive to any flour/gluten items - like someone has punched me in the stomach and horrible gi effects after too.  Its just tricky to add in 2 tbs of Coconut oil( 240cal) to my very limited 1200 cal diet without going over or having to skip a meal.

For Solstice - I'm leaning towards a hearty stew which I can crock-pot up to cook during the day. 

I haven't pulled the trigger on buying some FEs yet, though I did put the question out in meditation yesterday and I got back self-heal (literally the words), Aloe Vera, Calendula, and Wild Oat.  If I can scrape together some funds - I think this is my first choice and I might wander over to the FE thread to lurk there for a bit.

I'm looking for recommendations for yoga downloads or podcasts which you liked- I'm trying to figure out how to get back to the "mat" on a more regular basis

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

you know, FES sells custom "dosage bottles" on their site. if you're not wanting to make the investment of starting to buy stock bottles, it might be a nice way to jump in.... you can choose up to 5 or 6 i think, and they mix and send (they will also do one in glycerin, instead of brandy).

but, by all means, come lurk! :-)

maia, yes! it is good! only, it's weird and creeping me out. i just cant decide which of those i want to invest in....

the vit d is carlson's, and it has coconut oil. i've seen tablets, though-- the dissolving kind. i'm guessing you dont want the oil element?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm joining in late! The progress you all have made is so inspirational!

Who am I? I'm a 27 yo mom of 5 children ages 6 weeks to almost 10 years old. I had a thyroid condition about 7-8 years ago and so I get a little paranoid about not being able to lose weight. My mom has thyroid cancer and I'm really hoping to keep any thyroid issues away!

Goals? I am usually about 120-130 lbs. I was trying to lose those last baby lbs. and tone up when I found out I was pregnant with #5. Needless to say, it set me back a lot. wink1.gif I ate healthy, not too much, and exercised through my pregnancy but still gained 43 lbs. putting me about 6 lbs. over my heaviest ever during pregnancy. I have not lost any weight since 2 weeks pp, and am looking to get down to 125. I would like to get my waist down to at least 27" and try not to lose too much in the bust (the best thing about breastfeeding, I feel sometimes!). More than anything I just want to get active and feel healthy again. I get so many aches and pains and the extra weight hurts my arthritic knee. My ultimate goal is to get down to 125 and be healthy and energetic for my high school reunion in August. Being able to fit in a swim suit without crying would be nice, or better yet, letting my dh see me without the lights out, but that will be a long time coming. I have some serious self-esteem issues from growing up and an abusive ex.

My dietary goals are to stay off dairy, eat more fruits & veggies & protein, and cut out so much junk and sugar! I have weird sensory/ocd issues with food and so this is something I've been working on getting over for years. I would like to eat more than just potatoes and bread for most meals which tends to be my default. I surprisingly lose a lot of weight doing this, but I know i need variety as a good example to my kids. smile.gif

How I'm going to get there? I need to start slowly with daily sun salutations, stretches, and kegels and squats. Next week I want to start back on my postnatal yoga dvd. After a week of that, I would like to start incorporating more kundalini yoga (Gurmukh) at least 3 times a week, with yoga every day to keep me stretched. In the next month I also want to start hooping again, and start my new Serpentine belly dance DVD I'm excited about-it's been too long since I've been able to dance! In January I plan on joining dh's work gym and doing the C25K slowly and using the weights for my legs and arms when I can as well as the elliptical trainer for my knees. I really love how fun the Carmen Electra Cardio Striptease video is, too, so if I find time, I'd like to do that in my kid-free time.

Statistics? (optional if you don't want to share!)

From today:
Weight (Naked Before Shower) 150
Top of Breasts and across bust - 34" & 39"
Under Breasts - 31"
Belly at Belly Button - 35.5"
Hips - 39.5"
Upper Thighs - 23.5"
Upper Arm - 11.5"
Neck - 12.5"
Waist - 32.5

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 12-26-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, kittywitty!

Hello, everyone!  Still eating holiday leftovers here, but starting to think about getting back to normal - no, a *better,* healthier normal!!!

How's everyone doing?  I am not going to get back on a scale yet, but want to get my 30 min of exercise in today!

aweyn -I went to a hfs and  found some FES essences and have been taking Aconite, Self-heal, and was drawn to Madia.  Had a deja-vu moment to the dream I posted about a while back about looking at flower essences in a store.  IN my dream, I couldn't find the FES manual/directory and a salesperson told me it might have fallen behind the display.  Irl, I couldn't find the FES manual/directory and we were looking for it - wasn't behind the shelf, just under a lot of other brochures.  The FES makes me happy, too.  I think I want to grow some flowers specifically to make essences (normally, I'm a food gardening only gal) 

Also taking bioplasma cell salts, the compilation of 12 of them (been reading the cell salts thread in Health and Healing.)

Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

darn holiday cooking. i gained back a couple of pounds. oh well. as soon as all the leftovers are gone :) i'll get back into it. the roads have kept me from working out at the y, but it is looking good that they will be alright by next week.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, Lioness!  I think the weather will break here too, next week.  Haven't really been outdoors all month.  Really need to get out in the snow in our yard - I usually shovel paths for toddlers and make a big pile for a snowfort in the middle.

I am excited this morning because I finally found a way into The Temple of Health.  (See previous posts in this thread about prosperity meditation.)  I have been reading Penczak before bed and trying some of the exercises/meditations before bed - and falling asleep, of course.  Last night, I continued the meditation in my dreams and, to make a long story short, I have a "place" to go in meditation for health issues now, and some spiritual allies/guides for health issues.  The main one surprised me - I was looking through Penczak's very pagan list of gods/goddesses relating to health issues before I fell asleep, and there were some pagan elements in my dream, but the healing power in my dream very clearly came through a Christian source, almost a modern one, too - Brother Andre - St. Andre of Montreal, now, after his recent canonization.  I did visit St. Joseph's Cathedral over a decade ago and bought some St Joseph's oil at the gift shop, which I still have, forgotten and unused, in my cupboard of powerful stuff.  Google tells me that Andre is known for miraculous healings and that he started the tradition of annointing the sick with oil from the lamp on the altar there....going to spend some time browsing through the archives of the Catholic Folk Magic group, see what I can figure out....

For anyone dealing with chronic pain issues -- a friend sells amber teething necklaces for tots and I bought an adult size from her a couple weeks back, figuring it might help my dental pain issues.  I think it is really helping -- with other kinds of pain, including sore muscles from starting the 100 pushups in 8 weeks program finally (yay me!).  Anyone want to join?  I can do about 8 girly ones -- I'm going to try to get to 100 girly ones and then start the program again to get to 100 real ones.

Anyway, I've read that people wear amber for arthritis, too -  am looking forward to red tent time to see if it makes a difference in managing the cramping pain, which has been getting worse lately.  Only thing is, one needs to wear the amber pretty much 24/7.  Did notice some soreness in my surgery area after my first real exercise session in about 6 weeks, so I will be careful not to push it, but oh, it used to be so, so much worse.  I think the hooping and pushups for now, and re-introducing some gentle yoga stretches will be my plan over the weekend.  

I started exercising after I thought my kids were in bed a couple days ago, but they all found their way into the playroom somehow and joined me.  My older two are on board for the pushups, for sure, which makes me happy enough not to mind that I couldn't hoop for more than 3 minutes all together without interruption.  My 4 year old got a pillow and curled up by my feet, under the moving hoop, and fell asleep there love.gif

Hey, sphugy, are you there ?   I've been drinking a lot of kefir made from the grains you sent - still have a few more days of abx to finish, and the kefir is really helping me keep my gut somewhat intact  - and thinking of you with gratitude.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, again! How is everyone doing?

Weighed in today for the first time in a long time.  Starting the New Year at 170, nearly 3 pounds up, but since I haven't exercised - have been avoiding exercise - for a good six weeks now as I have been dealing with health issues, and considering there was much chocolate and lots of potato chips about during the holidays, could have been *much* worse.

Went skating with the family today, and got a half hour of hooping in while the kids were climbing on inflatables and playing games at our town's New Year gathering, in the big rec center gym.  They had some hoops out and I took the chance to practice some hoop tricks I can't do in my basement during the winter - the ceiling is too low.  The hoop was too small and too slippery, compared to my own, but I persevered.

Eating turkey leftovers - we cooked our holiday dinner yesterday as we were away from home over Christmas, so have not eaten particularly well today.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM

today was my birthday. cake and thai potato-corn-coconut milk-scallop chow-dah. yum. lots o' carbs. 

however, tomorrow my DH and i are starting a 4 week experiment on the "slow-carb" eating plan in the "4 hour body." it's an insane book, tim ferris is a madman. i read 150 pages in it last night and felt like i fell down the rabbit hole. anyway, the eating plan is fairly straightforward. i blogged about it today. feel free to comment here or there. 

leading a women's ritual for my bestest girl-pals next weekend. i asked for it for my birthday gift. i LONG for grown up ritual time where i don't have to worry about my kids, etc. ritual that includes chanting and trance and devotion is on the top of my list of things i really MISS since becoming a mommy almost 9 years ago. it feeds my soul and sadly, the more my soul starves, the fatter i get. so i think we are going to do a "feed the creative heart/deep soul" ritual. not sure yet what it will be like, but i know i am looking forward to it. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

User Tag List