Witchy Weight Loss and Support - Yule be losing some weight with us! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have lost 3 pounds since last week. that's not too shabby, considering how close i am to my period. (when i do a lot of comfort eating)

i have been discovering in bits and pieces the actual specifics underneath my emotional eating. it's been really painful to look at. 

i looked in my FES book at essences for emotional eating and the only one that spoke to me was pink yarrow. when i read it, it's sounds more like the young me though. not the 40-something woman i am. but maybe since i am trying to heal old wounds or old patterns??? i'm open to input. (nice to see others into FE)

i told a close friend of mine; i feel like i have the pieces to the puzzle of figuring this all out, but i don't know how to put the pieces together. frustrating. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#122 of 156 Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM

so i only gained 3 lbs back after getting down to 155. now i need to quit comfort eating. lol. that holiday eating got me hooked back on carbs and i have been having a hard time making myself not eat or drink it. got to go back to water. been drinking way too much pop and gatorade. and eating too many desserts. still no dairy though. :) i would like to cut out all wheat but i am having a real hard time with that. i need to go back to cutting it down to barely there. after a month long vacation, i finally managed to get back to the y and go swimming. i missed it! i could tell i was out of shape again bc my back muscles hurt for 2 days. i think i will swim some more and do the friday yoga before i try body flow again. they have brutal ab work i might not be ready for yet. it amazed me how quickly i fell out of shape. but i cant go when the kids are sick or i am sick. and i cant find the motivation to do it at home. lol. plus winter makes me tired and lacking in will power. i hope to see the scale start going back down again soon. back to the grind!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#123 of 156 Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM

aubergine~ah! i have so much to learn. i can not fathom how cell salts would NOT be homeopathics. shows how much i have to learn! i cant wait! i did not know there was a cell salts thread on mdc. can you linkey it please? i also got the sense from the fe/homeopathic thread in spirituality that there is another thread, but then saturday happened, and i forgot to figure that out as well. are you on that one? i want so badly to Understand this all more. ;-) (that being my word for 2011).

umami~ ohhh, my favorite topic. bach brand has an "emotional eating" blend.... let's see. they use chestnut bud, crab apple, and cherry plum. 

honestly, i'm not sure i "get" those choices. do you prefer the north american range to the english? have you looked into the "range of light" from FES? there are some flowers there i think would be really powerful for weightloss-- especially related to emotional issues.

i've had luck with star thistle (i was putting it in my belly button-- to help feel nourished). and huge success with chamomile. do you carry your emotional tension in your belly? in other words, if you've gone thru something stressful, do you feel tension in your belly? chamomile has helped me amazingly with that, and also with balancing eating. 

i'm hoping we get the "private thread" feature soon so we can talk more about the really deep personal things behind these issues for us. at least, i know i would like that. i, too, have been delving into the really intense things behind my own issues. one thing i have found is that FEs really help them be less intense... help me view things more objectively, so i can confront them face on, rather than shunting them off sideways (or sweeping them under the rug....). hugs, and if you want, please pm me! i'd be more than happy to talk more, and go into more detail, if that would be helpful for you. i'm dealing with somewhat of a city/community trauma at the moment, so distraction is very good. very. :-)

hugs and light to all.

xoxoxoxox

#124 of 156 Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Too busy for a longer post right now but here is the cell salts thread.

#125 of 156 Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi everybody!  Happy, healthy vibes to all.  Every day I'm feeling a little more connected to the good health that I deserve.  I'm running out the door to an energy work class, but I wanted to post that I did Day 1 of Week 1 of the push up challenge. joy.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#126 of 156 Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, you, femme rouge!

I completed the first day of the second week.  I am up from 8 knee pushups at my test (wimpy!) to doing the 12/10/8/8 pretty rapidly and wondering if I should skip ahead.

Proud of myself for doing it yesterday as am fighting a migraine.  Quite nauseous today with it.  Need to get offline - hope for a good night's sleep and more tolerance for online time tomorrow!

Thx for the link to the flower essences society site, umami.  I liked what they have to say about yarrow - my yard is full of weedy white yarrow -- and could spend a lot of time browsing through the other info there.

Hope all is well, aweyn.  

#127 of 156 Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Thanks Aubergine, and Go you, too!  I did the 2nd day yesterday.  It's kind of fun. I've never worked on push ups before.  Are you doing the last set of "max"?  I've found with that, I'm right where I need to be. lol.gif

Aweyn- this has been/is such an emotional journey for me too.  A private thread would be nice.  Generally speaking, I've worked a lot around the idea of safety which has been key for me.  Hugs.  I'm so glad FE are working well for you.  I'm not at a place to add anything new in my life, but I am so curious about the information you are sharing.  When I'm ready for "something new,"  I wonder if FE will be it. smile.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#128 of 156 Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM

did you know that sodalite is the weight loss stone? i just read to wear it if you want to lose a few pounds. lol. so i bought a nice big piece to put on my nursing necklace. i bought it as a inner peace stone but i just read it also helps with your thyroid too. interesting.

it feels so good to have lost that weight. i have decided that it is time to get back into it for another 6 week weight loss marathon. then even out again to stabilize. i would love to lose another 20 lbs. but i will be happy with another 10 for now. haha. just got to go at least 3 times a week. i am loving how much better i feel. i feel so much lighter. it is easier to move my body. i will never eat dairy again. and i am slowly cutting out wheat. i cant cut out all grains but i can cut out wheat and white rice. that should help too. should help my weight, my fibro, my emotions etc. the more i lose the better i feel. i am actually starting to get excited about my life again.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#129 of 156 Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

did you know that sodalite is the weight loss stone? i just read to wear it if you want to lose a few pounds. lol. so i bought a nice big piece to put on my nursing necklace. i bought it as a inner peace stone but i just read it also helps with your thyroid too. interesting.

it feels so good to have lost that weight. i have decided that it is time to get back into it for another 6 week weight loss marathon. then even out again to stabilize. i would love to lose another 20 lbs. but i will be happy with another 10 for now. haha. just got to go at least 3 times a week. i am loving how much better i feel. i feel so much lighter. it is easier to move my body. i will never eat dairy again. and i am slowly cutting out wheat. i cant cut out all grains but i can cut out wheat and white rice. that should help too. should help my weight, my fibro, my emotions etc. the more i lose the better i feel. i am actually starting to get excited about my life again.

Yay, Lioness! Isn't that fun? Me, too. I am starting to believe I CAN lose the weight. Woohoo! ANd interesting about sodalite, especially if it's for the thyroid to wear it near the throat as a necklace. Will go look it up.

Lost all the holiday weight YAY ME :) Now onwards and downwards!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#130 of 156 Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Love sodalite.  I have a necklace with sodalite beads, meant to be a third eye necklace, because it is indigo colors.  I should pull it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post

Thanks Aubergine, and Go you, too!  I did the 2nd day yesterday.  It's kind of fun. I've never worked on push ups before.  Are you doing the last set of "max"?  I've found with that, I'm right where I need to be. lol.gif

I think there is a site poll up if anyone wants to ask for features like the private thread.  I see it when I login.

Still going at the pushups. We're doing MWSat., because Fridays are v. busy.  My dd is managing the pushups in her martial arts class much better after only 2 weeks, and I'm finding doing a bridge easier (not easy), so I'm pleased to be seeing results.  Going to do the 2 week test tomorrow.

#131 of 156 Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 AM

trolling netflix for yoga DVDs. (i've been really anxious lately and not wanting to go out to yoga classes) i spotted "hot male yoga." will this help me lose weight? lol.gif

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#132 of 156 Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM

i'm still reeling, but i'm trying to find some path to normalcy....

i think hot yoga men should certainly help! 

i went swimming for the first time in three weeks... it felt so so so strange. also found out that one of the survivors goes to the club as well, and now i think about it, i think i recognize him from the pool. such a small world.

i've been doing a considerable amount of comfort eating, unsurprisingly. 

but the tummy mask seems to have helped! it certainly feels different... and seems like progress is being made... i did go down about one inch or so... so, not spectacular, but i can tell that stuff happened. 

hope all are doing well.

xoxoxox

#133 of 156 Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Hugs Aweyn.  Keep taking good care of yourself.

#134 of 156 Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing?

I finished week 3 of the pushup challenge. I'm doing knee pushups, which lift about 70% of the body weight, I read, on the more challenging level.  Completed nearly 100 pushups broken into four sets within 10 minutes today, where three weeks ago, 12 was a challenge.  I will complete this challenge and then do it again with regular pushups.  Woo-hoo!  In between, there has been a LOT of snow shoveling and my arms feel like spaghetti a lot.  I'm looking forward to being buff enough that I can feel good about wearing sleeveless tops and dresses this spring and summer again.  

I need to do more lower body exercise, though. We've been trapped indoors with the incredible snow and cold we've had all month.  I have been sticking to the gf diet but not watching what I eat in other ways and that is not going to get me to my weight loss goals.  

My dd homeschools and she's got an iPod that takes pretty good pics and videos.  She's taking a lot of me and her brothers, just experimenting, and I'm getting a pretty regular view of what I look like in her eyes, how I move.  I am seeing some things I want to change -- less of the sloppy-looking t-shirts,the loose-fitting clothes.  I do home childcare and don't spend a lot on wardrobe for clothes that are going to get messy, but I am sure I can retire some old things and start wearing some more form-fitting stuff from the bottom of the drawer.  No skipping the morning shower. And less wearing glasses - when I have some $$, I'm going to look at eye surgery or at least going back to wearing disposable contacts most days.   My word for the year is Pride (other pagan thread) and I'm going to show more pride in my appearance generally.  

#135 of 156 Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone!  I hit a big milestone yesterday - I made it down to the same bf % that I was at before I got pregnant (and immediately post-partum).  Yay!  I'm now as slim as I've been as an adult.  I'm about 5 or 6 lbs heavier though, which means I've put on a few pounds of muscle, and I'm all good with that. :)

I've been dairy-free for the past few weeks and it seems to make a real difference with weight loss.  I've also been super-consistent with my workouts - now halfway through the last phase in my book.  Dunno what I'm going to do next - maybe the workouts from Primal Blueprint, and work on my bodyweight strength stuff...

Otherwise things are humming along, spring signs are starting to appear (snowdrops etc) and the light is returning... it all feels good!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#136 of 156 Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM

ummmm i am holding steady at my goal weight. does that mean i can make a new goal weight now? :) i went from 173 to 155. almost 20 lbs. i think i would like to try to lose another 10 lbs. i am still a little "overweight" for my height. i mostly want to pull my gut in and get trimmer. maybe slim my hips. but i find myself to be perfectly at ease if i never lose any more. i like this feeling.

#137 of 156 Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Spughy, you're where I want to be in the summer and Lioness, you're where I want to be in the spring.  I'm just going to follow you guys around.  

You are both dairy-free, though.  That would be hard for me.  Especially because I have this lovely source of raw milk that I would emotionally as well as physically hate to give up.

I think if I up the exercise and *no more eating after dinner* which means *go to bed early before the tired-munchies hit* I can do this.

Please share what you decide to do re: workouts, spughy.  I'm interested in that sort of thing.

#138 of 156 Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Oh, Aubergine, I'm not STAYING dairy-free.  The only reason I'm doing that now is as a trial, but as soon as OUR lovely raw milk returns when our cows have their calves, I'll be right back on the moo.  I haven't noticed enough positive effects (except for the weight loss, and by April when the calves come I will most likely have lost all the weight I need) to justify dropping it for good.  And, I did lose MOST of the weight that I've lost while eating dairy, it just went slower.  I agree with you that it would be an insult to the cows not to drink their lovely milk. :)

I think not eating after dinner (and going for a walk instead), exercising well and building muscle, and avoiding sugar and starch are the most important things.  Everything else, as they say, is gravy.

Mmmm gravy.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#139 of 156 Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well,there's seasonal eating for you!

Ohh, yes,gravy.....mmm.....I made some with an organic roast chicken yesterday. Used corn starch instead of flour. Gravy is not really that evil when there is no bread.... We actually have leftovers now of gravy and I add some to chicken soup to make it more stew-like.

My pm munchies kick in around 10 pm, after the children are in bed.  Late for a walk, and I don't want to exercise right before I go to bed or I can't sleep.  Have to come up with something that makes me feel pampered besides eating something cheesy or chocolaty.

I think we should start a new thread on Feb 3 - New Moon, Chinese New Year, Imbolc to Ostara.....good time for some resolutions.

Going to get ready to take measurements again!

#140 of 156 Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM

It's about time we change the name of the thread....think? winky.gif

ETA: Just saw your post about changing it, Aubergine redface.gif lol.gif Chinese New Year, Imbolc, yeah....maybe the 1st, to reflect all of that?

Yay for reaching healthy BMIs and goal weights! I am at 161 now, which is 1lb above pre-pregnancy weight; I haven't seen this weight since 2003, and, it's 30-odd pounds from where I want to ultimately be. Oh! And IIRC, I'm 4lb from my BMI dropping from "obese" to just "overweight" joy.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#141 of 156 Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm still "overweight" according to BMI but my waist is under 30" (which is half my weight in inches - the "dr oz" healthy waist size) and my body fat percentage is now 29% which is in the "acceptable" range.  I want ALL the indicators saying I'm a healthy weight though, so I'm gunning for that BMI - I'm in the "normal" zone when I hit 127.  Interestingly though, the lower end of "normal" for someone my height is 95 lbs, and I have over 95 lbs of completely lean body mass, so I'd not only need to lose every speck of body fat I have (which is impossible, and it's really, really unhealthy to go below about 12% for a woman) but I'd have to lose some muscle as well, to hit that.  If I don't put on any extra muscle, at 127 lbs I'll be at 24% bf, which is close to where I want to be anyhow (I was aiming for 20-25%).  So for me, the upper end of BMI-good is definitely the place to be. 

I think an Imbolc thread would be a great idea.  thumb.gif

#142 of 156 Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM

well, i lost 5 lbs over the past two weeks. which i guess means i've gone from "cant lose weight when stressed" to "can"... or, "can lose weight during tragedies", anyway.... 

i'm all for a new thread for lunar new year. gods, i'm all for New Life in lunar new year. 

we're all sick. again. really? we never do this! i dont even know what to do. 

#143 of 156 Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM

I had a consult with someone I really respect.  Not going to focus on loosing any weight for now but just on health.  I've started a 30 days without gluten to see if it change anything and I avoid raffined sugar (honey and maple syrup are ok).

Valérie   
#144 of 156 Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM

yay! i'm jealous. not of the diet restrictions, but getting to talk to her. yay!

i've been taking a new FE (advice of same said wonderful person).... and i think it's really doing something remarkable. i am slowly unraveling stuff that goes deep and wayyy back, and i know that ultimately it is going to affect tremendous change. i already feel sort of shifted onto a slightly different track.....everything is looking just slightly different from this new place, and it's fascinating. going slow, but feeling hopeful.

i am determined to make better food. we've NOT been eating wonderfully the past few weeks. and we were doing really well before that, i really want to get back to it. and SOUP is so the answer. so, i'm going to focus on making soups. got a recipe for split pea soup from a professional chef friend, and am excited to give it a try.... i know we sort of started talking about soup recipes before.... anyone have any faves to share? 

i made a really yummy soup with roasted acorn squash, navy beans, and gosh... i forget what else..... see, i never write them down, and so i can never make them again! ha. oh, well. i need to stock up on some good basics. it's been ages since i was at the farmer's market! boo. i'm not feeling inspired. i need to feel inspired.......... 

#145 of 156 Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Could you share your split-pea soup recipe?  Pretty please?

Here's one that suits the non-user of recipes.  I'll be making it with some frozen garden tomatoes sometime soon:

Roasted Tomato Soup

Take a roasting pan.  Fill with tomatoes.  Drizzle with olive oil, rosemary and basil (garlic and other spices if you like, these do it for me.)  You can add some eggplant or zucchini or red pepper, but it should be mostly tomatoes

Roast at 350 for an hour or so - till tomato skins are brown and bubbly.

Puree.  You can pull out the skins if you like first, but I have a good blender and they add taste and fibre, imo.  Taste, adjust seasoning (depending on the acidity of the tomatoes , I add a little sugar to get rid of any acidy taste and some sea salt)

Serve with nice bread, salad, and grated or crumbled cheese.  If you let it cook down, makes lovely pasta/pizza sauce, too.

#146 of 156 Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Posti am determined to make better food. we've NOT been eating wonderfully the past few weeks. and we were doing really well before that, i really want to get back to it. and SOUP is so the answer. so, i'm going to focus on making soups. got a recipe for split pea soup from a professional chef friend, and am excited to give it a try.... i know we sort of started talking about soup recipes before.... anyone have any faves to share?

I have a bean and kale soup recipe if you're interested. It calls for tomato (paste?) near the end, but I forgot it the first time I made it, and it was just yummy! What do you like/not like, or eat/not eat, and I'll see what I have.

#147 of 156 Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

aubergine, the recipe is on FB. i dont dare post it here, as he's a professional, kwim? 

maia, ugh. i cant stomach kale. <shudder> i ate a TON of it when i was pregnant, and i can hardly look at it now without wanting to do vile things. 

i made scrumptiousness today, though! huzzah. bacon, onion, chicken stock, potato, sweet potato, carrot, napa cabbage, navy beans, peas, splash of cream... i LURVE making soup. i lurve eating soup. i love it! 

i'm feeling better. getting there. ahhh. i even got some journaling time today. well, sort of. lol. waded thru my old notes, and... funny thing about my new FE... it really seems to be working in amazing ways. half the stuff i'd written down, super emotional stuff that i intended to do some major journaling/meditating/tapping on..... and it's just.... *poof*... seems to no longer be an issue. i'll still go thru it at some point, to make sure, but ... WOW. all i can say is wow. i'm really looking forward to getting "going" more, and seeing how things look...... but wow. 

hugs and vibes to all!

#148 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Well, it wouldn't have to be kale. You could probably use anything green. Spinach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postmaia, ugh. i cant stomach kale. <shudder> i ate a TON of it when i was pregnant, and i can hardly look at it now without wanting to do vile things.

#149 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 AM

yeah, i guess-- the napa cabbage worked quite nicely, although ds called it lettuce, lol.... both boys ate it, though! soup is so magical. ;-)

#150 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM

sneaking in before we change the thread for Imbolc! I've just signed up for my workplace's weight loss & exercise challenge - it starts today and goes through I think until the equinox.  I've been slacking on both fronts - not gaining, but not losing either.  Oh and I've totally started over 3x with the push-up challenge. Ahh January you have done me in with sickness and the blahs... *tsk*

I love walking and I get points for the exercise that I do... so any recommendations for walking videos, since I am in the snowy cold midwest right now?  DH does p90x and I'll work my way back to that level, but first I want to accomplish one goal walking 5 mi in under 1 hour before spring, so I could consider attempting to walk to work in the mornings.

I'm not willing to walk during lunch as that is my meditation time and it does wonders for me especially with all the stress and crud I have going on at work. 

Any good recs of walking videos?  I can then see if netflix offers any online....

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page