Mothering Forum banner
8K views 143 replies 35 participants last post by  ibusymomto5 
#1 ·
Has anyone recently started this? I did the first workout tonight and I'm pretty sure if I don't have some type of accountability I'll wimp out around week 3.

#2 ·
I'm not just starting; I just finished the 2nd workout of week 7. But I did really want to encourage you to keep going. My main mantra has been to keep the faith that it works. My basis for this faith was two-fold: 1) reading about other people it worked for; 2) my own experience. When I started I was dying at the end of a minute of running. No joke! And in some ways the first few weeks were the hardest. But each workout that went up a notch, I first thought "I can't do this" then reminded myself to have the faith. And EVERY SINGLE TIME I was able to do it. Sometimes it felt hard. Other times it wasn't too bad til the last minute or two. But I could always marvel at the fact that before I couldn't run a minute and now that feels easy - or as I got higher that 5 minutes seemed easy. When I did the 20 minute run, I couldn't believe it. Now I've completed my third 25 minute run (a lifetime first at 38) and it's starting to feel really manageable. I am starting to think of myself as a runner. I'm looking forward to new challenges now that I'm actually "a runner".

So keep with it, you can do it and it's an AWESOME feeling. My top tips:

-music is key; it can get boring, esp if you're not outside, and songs keep you going and offer mini-intervals within the workout

-keep the faith!

-mentally break the workout down into smaller blocks so you always feel like you're accomplishing stuff

-follow the plan faithfully; don't be tempted to go too fast - it goes by faster than you think

-and personally, for me, after the first few weeks I found keeping up my weight training and one hiit session a week made the runs feel easier

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress! Hope you get some buddies who are also starting.

#4 ·
It gets easier. I found the first 2 weeks the hardest. I think it's because even though the intervals are short, your body has had NO conditioning and is starting from scratch. You'd be amazed how quickly your body adapts. I started 7 weeks ago and just ran 3 miles today! I would never have thought it.

However, if you're still having a hard time, just keep repeating the week until you feel like you're ready to move on.

#5 ·
I will be on Week 2 Day 2 tomorrow and am doing better than I thought! The hardest day so far was the second run day of week one. I couldn't believe how hard it was to run for only 60 seconds!! I almost did week one again, but moving up wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. And the feeling of accomplishment is SO awesome:) Keep us posted!!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

I just finished week 1. Please tell me it gets easier. I'm really worried about my ability to do week 2.
KEEP GOING!!!!!!! Week one was the hardest, week two was also pretty hard. When I started out I thought I had developed a hairline fracture in my hip. I hurt, hurt, hurt!

That was back in July. Since then I have finished c25k and have finished it a second time after having to take time off from running for surgery. I have lost 70 pounds thanks to running.

There is no law saying you have to move up to the next week. If you need to repeat a week, then do it. Don't stop!!!

I also downloaded some C25k podcasts so I could run to music. That really helped.

#8 ·
Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm starting the program too! I'm on W1D3 today. I went thru the program up until week 7 this past spring, but a lot of things popped up for me and I am just starting back up...and starting over.

I posted on a thread here last time and it helped with accountability. OK, off to my treadmill before the kiddies wake from their nap!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post

I also downloaded some C25k podcasts so I could run to music. That really helped.
I have a few podcasts for C25K, but I'm looking for more. Where did you download yours from?
GoNicoleYourself has music with lyrics and a good beat, but some of the selections are vulgar. Still, it kept me going through it and there's a different track for each session. The Ullreys podcasts are also decent, but I got tired of the music after awhile.

I also downloaded w C25k app on my Droid that sets the timing for me and allows me to listen to my own music while the phone takes care of the timing.

#11 ·
I did C25k through I think week 4 (took more than one week for each step-I have bad knees) last year and again early this year until the morning sickness stopped me. I was wanting to start back up indoors on a treadmill. How soon postpartum do you think is a good idea to start this?

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I did C25k through I think week 4 (took more than one week for each step-I have bad knees) last year and again early this year until the morning sickness stopped me. I was wanting to start back up indoors on a treadmill. How soon postpartum do you think is a good idea to start this?
One of my midwives said I was fine to exercise once the bleeding had stopped for 3 days. The other said 6 weeks. I choose to listen to the one who said 3 days b/c that happened first. I felt like I could have started at 2-3 weeks, but both DH and both of my midwives said a big fat no. I'd say once you feel ok to run and you're not bleeding you're fine to go.

#14 ·
OP it gets soooo much easier! It gets addictive! I just finished the Couch to 5K a couple days ago but I loved it. I think it gets easier because you see how much better you are getting. I hated it in the beginning and only went because my sister was couting on me. Well she quit on me after a couple weeks and I have not missed a day yet, besides Christmas ;)

#16 ·
I did this years ago! I am going to jump on board after I take off some weight because my knees are an issue and when I run when I am too heavy I really hurt. I will definately watch this thread for inspiration!

#17 ·
I've been jogging now for 3 weeks. I might need a little more structure to my routines. I'm also trying to lose weight, so I might just do the c25k and add in cycling and whatever else gets my hr up and burns calories. Running can't be my only exercise as I will injure myself if it's the only exercise I do when trying to lose the weight! I also do some strength training.

#20 ·
I'm being bad and attempting to do more, but I am breaking up my runs (with biking/weight training in-between) and walking about 50% of the 3 miles right now. I think I will fall back on c25k if I stop progressing in my own attempt.

#21 ·
I have asthma and some knee issues and C25K was a huge help for me. I realized that when I go at my own pace and think I am pacing running and walking well I actually push myself much harder than C25K does. On my own I run longer and more often in a 30 minute run than when I follow the program. I actually felt like I wasn't doing much of anything the first few weeks with C25K until I realized that the running I was doing was pain and asthma free!

#22 ·
I've been biking, lifting and jogging this week. The biking and lifting warms me up for the treadmill. Yesterday, I did the alternating jogging and walking, although my intervals were a little off. Today, I tried to, but DH called me in the middle of my workout and told me I had to get home with the car for a ds appt that I forgot about! I think I will call this coming week Week 1.

#23 ·
Do any of you use the c25k ipod apps? Which one/s do you like, and why?

Also, silly but important - how do you carry your ipod? jacket pocket? in hand?

Motivating to start tomorrow.

#25 ·
Week 3 for me
smile.gif

I keep my iphone in my pocket or it sits in the cup holder of the treadmill. I had a case and clip, but it broke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.