Dingos Dashing Through the Snow ~ December Running Mamas Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Penelope - My dd1 got her ears pierced at a tattoo/body piercing place on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley when she was 5! They totally do it and I would definitely go that route. It was great. We walked in and the two fully tatted, pierced (big loops IN the ear holes and then some) dudes said "what can we do to help?" and I said "I have a 5 year old who would like to get her ears pierced" and they growled "all riiigghht! The first hole! jammin.gif" It was funny, and great. The piercer was totally skilled. Dd didnt even flinch.

Now back to reading...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Penelope - My dd1 got her ears pierced at a tattoo/body piercing place on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley when she was 5! They totally do it and I would definitely go that route. It was great. We walked in and the two fully tatted, pierced (big loops IN the ear holes and then some) dudes said "what can we do to help?" and I said "I have a 5 year old who would like to get her ears pierced" and they growled "all riiigghht! The first hole! jammin.gif" It was funny, and great. The piercer was totally skilled. Dd didnt even flinch.

Now back to reading...

My dd got hers done at about the same age at a tattoo/piercing shop as well.  Her piercer had more metal on her face than I could even count and was AMAZING at helping her relax.  They talked about fairies.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

This is all awesome information! Thank you!! flowersforyou.gif

No problem - I can scare up references for each thing I put there (except the 2% calculation -- I did that.  I can give you my data and assumptions for that, though)

Here's a good link:

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikeadvocacy/advocacy_tips.php

Ack!

I had what started as a running-tights-zipper abrasion on the back of my heel maybe a month ago.  It's gotten worse - red and cracked, and my mom had me put triple antibiotic cream on it - leading to an itchy, red, and blistered mess.  So then I moved to hydrocortizone, which is not helping.  What next?  It's not getting better.  :help

I need 38 more miles to make my 750 mile in 2010 goal.  It's gonna be tight...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Good morning Dingos!

Hope everyone is doing okay. It's in the 50's and cloudy here so as soon as dh gets back from his run I'm going to attempt to go a bit long again. I'm not shooting for the 20 I was supposed to do yesterday, maybe 12. We'll see. Playing it by ear.

So I'm still debating between entering the NYCM lottery or signing up for Marine Corps. I could be insane contemplating training for a marathon in the summer months though. Hmmm.

Dh and I are looking at the compression socks and compression shorts etc. Anyone have/use these? There are so many out there. Which ones? Any reviews? They're pretty pricey but if they help, then it's worth it? Dh has some vein issues in his legs and I'm starting to get some too.

Many other things on the agenda today...want to get to the bookstore to check out Pfitzinger's marathon book. Kids want to go spend some gift cards at Michaels. Have to go grocery shopping at some point, and the kids are invited to a Christmas party this afternoon....

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Geo: my fingers split in the winter (always the same ones and in the same places); it doesnt sound like quite the same thing, but I put bag balm over the spots w/ a bad-aid a couple nights a week, and wa-lah. Maybe the abx cream just dried it out more? The back of the heel/ankle is a dry spot for me too but no cracking.... maybe it was dry, then got rubbed, so cracked/irritated, then the abx took it up a notch, so MAYBE some moisture would help?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 AM

We are prepping today for leaving tomorrow morning for the IL's in S.D. cold.gif

Did ya'll know that Jooj is coming to my home-town (and what's more, that I live very close to the airport), and then leaving it, on the EXACT days I am leaving it and then returning duh.gif

...and we're not even flying through the same airports! Bah Humbug!! greensad.gif

Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Does anyone have the cwx compression tights, a little bird told me they might be under the tree,  I have always wanted to try them but could not get over the price.  I did buy a pair of cold weather running pants the other day, I have one but thought it would be a good idea to have another with the training for the 1/2 upon me.  They were 25 % off but it still kills me, I'm usually a sierra trading post girl but they did not have any that would have worked in my size.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

modmom ~ I have them and like them a lot.  They're a little hard to get on becuase of the compression, but they feel nice once they're on.

sparkle ~ have a great trip!  Sorry you and Jooj are missing each other

Nic ~ I hope you can get that 20 miler in.  You don't "need" it, but I know it would make you feel more confident.

DH let me sleep until 9:00 this morning!!!!  I haven't done that in ages and it felt so good.  I'm ready for moving day tomorrow and can't wait until we're all in the house together.  Snow and freezing rain is predicted for tomorrow night though.  Ick.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post

Does anyone have the cwx compression tights, a little bird told me they might be under the tree,  I have always wanted to try them but could not get over the price.  I did buy a pair of cold weather running pants the other day, I have one but thought it would be a good idea to have another with the training for the 1/2 upon me.  They were 25 % off but it still kills me, I'm usually a sierra trading post girl but they did not have any that would have worked in my size.

I have them.  I found them at Goodwill, with the original tags still on.......for $7.99.  I really like them, just wish that they weren't the ones with the light grey.  It's like "HELLOOOO!  Look at my legs!  I'm wearing tights!"

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM

7.99 wow!  Just in from an awesome frozen 8 miler.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Seriously; where are the free knitting patterns online besides Ravelry and Knitty? I just want a simple, bell bottom sleeve, v-neck sweater for my 3 year old, nd it looks like Im going to have to write my first pattern. Bleh. Not in the mood

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Seriously; where are the free knitting patterns online besides Ravelry and Knitty? I just want a simple, bell bottom sleeve, v-neck sweater for my 3 year old, nd it looks like Im going to have to write my first pattern. Bleh. Not in the mood

Yeah, if you can't find it on Ravelry, I don't think it exists!  I'm scared of designing myself and I've never designed any knit garments (I'm better at designing crochet stuff).  Supposedly, Elizabeth Zimmerman is supposed to be able to give you a good idea about designing but I can't take her writing style.  There's a book called Knitting from the Top though that's really good for designing.  But yeah, I'm usually not in the mood and just want a simple pattern to blindly follow.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post

I have them.  I found them at Goodwill, with the original tags still on.......for $7.99.  I really like them, just wish that they weren't the ones with the light grey.  It's like "HELLOOOO!  Look at my legs!  I'm wearing tights!"

biglaugh.gifI don't know but this reminded me of the Smell Like a Monster video . . . 

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Can you find a pattern with the body you like and one with the sleeves?  If so, I'd just mesh the two together. 

To make more traditional sleeves bell bottom would just involve adding a few increases every few rounds if you were knitting the sleeves in the round.  Might take a bit of trial and error, but if you write down what you do until you get it right on sleeve 1, the second would be a breeze.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM

I suppose I should post about actual running.  Sigh.

For some reason, I've got this mental block against running outdoors lately.  Lots of FM- spinning classes, hot yoga, stairmill, even extended runs on the treadmill.  I just can't get myself to go outside.  What's up with that?

I find it ironic that I'm mixing it up more than ever, and now I've been hit with what I'm assuming is plantar fasciitis.  I've been having heel pain when barefoot for a while that comes and goes, but in the last few days it's become swollen and bruised looking on the fat pad under my heel.  I thought I was imagining things, but DH caught me sitting there looking at my feet and he noticed it without me saying anything.  

I'm stretching, wearing my orthotics, icing it, taking arnica.  I'm terrible about wearing shoes in the house, and more terrible about staying off of it.  Tell me that this is going to get better without having to sit on my butt for any length of time!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 AM

8 bucks for crx tights? New? Why don't I ever find anything that cool at my goodwill? Maybe I need to try the one on the other side of town...

And the Grover video? Priceless. I do a pretty decent Grover-voice myself. orngtongue.gif

I am supposed to be working (again) and it is just dragging. I want to go for a bike ride today before it gets too late. Maybe at 2 when my DH gets back home - just out for a quick 30 minutes or so.

My knee has been quite stiff and sore, so I think I need to get back into my PT exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles. Flexibility is good, but it just gets stiff feeling.

Knitting: I have a book with a cardigan-style kids sweater with bell-shaped sleeves. It is a very simple style. The book is called Barefoot Knits, and the patterns are all based on one kind of cotton yarn and one needle size. Let me know if you are interested in a pic.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Just got back from 15 miles. The first 6 were so great I decided to go all the way to 8 and turn around for 16 total. Only problem was I was not prepared with enough water or Gu and by 13 I had completely bonked. So I slogged through 2 more and gave up and came home. Sigh. eyesroll.gif

I hope I'll be fine in the marathon if I can keep it together in the last miles. I'm bringing way more Gu than I think I'll need...my usual MO is to bring as little stuff as possible but I think maybe that's a bad strategy for this kind of thing.

On the up side...I think dh is going to get me the Garmin 210 for Chanukah and I'm waiting for the Nano until I can buy myself an iPhone. If I don't end up getting an iPhone, I'll buy myself a Nano (which is less than the Garmin).

At least that's today's plan. Could change at any time. redface.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM

<Non RR story> Dh decided that instead of buying or building new cabinets (like we'd been talking about doing for like, a year) that it would be easier to just refinish them.  He also decided that the sequence that we'd previously discussed following from This Old House wherein to do a good refinishing one must degrease, then sand, then prime, then sand, then paint, then sand, then paint, then sand, then paint, then finish with a clear coat - it would be even easier to just paint.  When I questioned the methodology I was called names involving the word "critical".  So I suggested he just paint one door and see how it turned out using the quickie method, but he went ahead and painted all the cabinet doors. 

How happy was I that he was the first to discover that the paint scratched off with the slightest brush of a fingernail? 

mischievous.gif

Not that it gets us any closer to being done.

I'm so impressed by the high mileage you ladies are putting in!  Whooweee! 

If only I could find my exercise mojo!  I really think it has been stolen and taken off island.  I have had two exceptionally lame 'workouts' this week, one 27 minute jog and a single round of 15 reps pushups and whatnot.  I'm asking Santa for my mojo back.

Gotta go, I think dh has gotten his tractor stuck in the mud.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 12-19-2010, 03:38 PM

So, I got 12 in yesterday....was supposed to be 13, but I would have had to run a mile on a really busy street and I thought 'eh good 'nuf.

Then today 23.  I'm getting sick. Everyone in the house is sick. I'm never the last person! I'm oddly excited by that fact.  But I have been megadosing on vit c...well megadosing vit c + 23 miles = unhappy tummy.  At mile 9 I went offroading and left a package in the woods.  Got back to my house at 10, very quickly picked up a neck gator and a friend and headed out for 13 more.  The first five of this round my tummy was sloshing, but then I started talking about my neighbors (who are really ticking me off) and maybe the adrenalin helped.  The last mile was mostly uphill, but I still pulled a 9:21 out.  Most of my miles were mid 11 min miles.  I hope I can be at least closer to flat 11 (or even a little less if possible) if nothing else just to keep me off the road for that long.  I've been thinking about my running plan for the marathon now. I've had the half set in my head for a while, so now time to think about the marathon.  I think I'm going to divide it up into quarters, the first quarter try to do 11 mm, then 2nd quarter 10:45 to 11, 3rd quarter same, maybe slightly faster if I feel good.  The last quarter I'm actually going to divide in half...so that at mile 23 if I'm feeling good I'll let myself do what feels right.  This was my last really long run, in three weeks I will do this again +4 miles.  This time last marathon I was rollerblading and biking, I couldn't run. I can't believe I made it. That I'm here, relatively in one piece, and I think I'm ready. Wow. Ready. I'm scared to hope.

I want to dedicate this race to hope and faith in oneself to prevail over our darkest hours.  That we have within us the power to overcome anything if only we have hope and faith. 

Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 PM

BBM, that is beautiful, you are beautiful, and I hope your Goofy races are beautiful too!

Nick, I am laughing at how...man-like, for lack of a better term...I find your gizmo-lust. I hope you get what fills ALL your needs, mama!

And Plady, I LIVED through that story in our previous house.

Should be packing. Dh cashed in airline points for a new SLR camera which he insists on sending with me. I got some new mud boots, since my old ones split this summer. Think I am ready. A little snafu leads to my having to spend a few extra hours in ABQ, flying out the AM of the 28th, but nothing that would present a chance to meet with sparkle. Sending my resume to dh on the off chance that there could be work for both of us in Dubai (never know).

Beside my muck boots, I am also packing old running shoes and tights. Hoping for some good times with nature. Probably not a lot of screen time, so Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, and a general Happy Holidays to all.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

BBM ~ I love your dedication at the bottom of your post.  It is beautiful and perfect and you are going to have a fantastic race (or two!)  Nice work on the 23!

Jooj ~ have a wonderful vacation!

Plady ~ dang husbands and their shortcuts..... and when you find your mojo, maybe mine is with it.  Send it on home, okay?

memiles ~ sounds like you're getting plenty of forward motion in, even if it's not actually outside on the roads. There is a season for everything, and in the Pacific Northwest, this is decidedly NOT the season for outdoor running!

Well, my entire house is boxed up, so we are awaiting pizza delivery orngbiggrin.gif.  DH headed back to Illinois with a truck full of flamable liquids (that the movers won't move).  I am SO PSYCHED to be heading to our new home tomorrow.  I just really, really hope that the forecast snow/freezing rain doesn't materialize for our drive to Illinois tomorrow evening.  Did I mention how ready I am?

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM

JayGee, sending good vibes for an easy, smooth move! May you have many happy years in your new home.

BBM, way to rock that run. You inspire me, as does your dedication (both to your training and the one you put in your post). I could not keep up with you if you weren't running the Goofy but I might be able to since you are. I am hoping we can run together, how amazing would that be?! I need to give you my cell number so we can hook up somehow. I will have my phone with me during the race.

Went to an Xmas party given by one of ds' classmates. It was cute. But I felt like a total alien. All these ladies in Christmas sweaters, decorating ornaments, talking about Christmas dinner...they were all lovely, courteous, polite, and nice. But not very welcoming if you understand what I mean. It's hard to explain. I mean, I go to Christmas/holiday parties every year and it's fine and fun and I love participating in other peoples' celebrations. Every once in a while though, I feel so out of place and misplaced. Sigh. It's fine. I'm fine. The kids had fun, ate too much junk (they don't even like mint...why are they eating all these candy canes?!). We went to Borders on the way home (I got a small gift card from a student which was a lovely gift) and I bought several running books. In my running bubble I feel happy and powerful. I got the kids books; I will drop cash at the bookstore in a way I don't and won't do anywhere else but I did have a gift card, a discount card, and several coupons so it's all good I guess.

Went out to dinner, ate a large amount of pasta. Yum. So why am I still feeling vaguely upset?!

Hmm. I am not a scrooge or a bah humbug person, either. I love the Christmas lights and the decorations, etc. So what is UP with me anyway?!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Ok, only on this thread would a post that involved a potty stop in the woods be described as "beautiful." ROTFLMAO.gifI mean, it is/was! But still. I'm laughing.

JayGee, have an awesome move!

Nic, I hear you. hug2.gif

I'm kind of a frazzled mess, tbh, although my grading is 99% done. It's just tracking down those last-minute exams and figuring grades that's going to do me in. One of my advisees plagiarized on her final, which is frustrating, since, duh... she's going to have to see me again. eyesroll.gif I have one class of grades done, and the rest I just need to do a bunch of math. Hopefully I can work on it later tonight and early tomorrow. And with any luck I can squeeze a run in there somewhere.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Went to an Xmas party given by one of ds' classmates. It was cute. But I felt like a total alien. All these ladies in Christmas sweaters, decorating ornaments, talking about Christmas dinner...they were all lovely, courteous, polite, and nice.

FWIW Nick: I'm a semi-practicing Christian. Mostly I wonder if I should be in a religion that is less, well, less public. Maybe I should be a Quaker?

Anyhow, my family celebrates Christmas. And I feel so out of it at a party like that. Alien is the perfect word. Like somehow I'm supposed to have fun with strangers making some kind of crazy thing (ornament usually).

I have two finals to write and administer this week and I think I'm getting some kind of serious illness. Blech. Sore throat, crappy feeling. I want to lay in bed and do nothing. That is just not happening.  So when do you decide to or not to run?  I have a sore throat, but not hoarse. No temperature. A smidge achy, but not really. Just really tired.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

I want to dedicate this race to hope and faith in oneself to prevail over our darkest hours.  That we have within us the power to overcome anything if only we have hope and faith. 

This.  You've got it exactly right.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

I have several pairs of CWX tights, and I love them. I refuse to pay full price, but I found decent discounts on three of the pairs, and the other one was given to me by a friend who didn't like them (score!).

jaygee~goodvibes.gif for a safe and easy move tomorrow!

I made it to Cincinnati safely yesterday, although it was a darn good thing that I set three alarms, because I slept through the first one entirely and one snooze of the second one. I'm pretty impressed with myself, though...I showered, finished packing, and was out the door in 26 minutes. And I still made the airport bus with a couple of minutes to spare. orngbiggrin.gif

I'm having a nice time at my SIL's. Apparently, XH is causing a ton of drama about me being here and his family wanting to spend time with me, but he hasn't said a word about it to me. I just feel bad that he's acting like that toward his family, and I feel bad that their wanting to spend time with me is making him act like a jackass toward them. rolleyes.gif At least I did get to see DS briefly tonight, and then I won't see him again until the 26th. greensad.gif

I think I've forgotten how to run. Maybe tomorrow. Or maybe not. Sigh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM

tjsmama--glad you got there safely. Also, I saw your tweet about insulated running tights. What brand do you have, and do you love them?

And another compression tights question: should they feel ridiculously tight, like everyone can see everything you've got when you've got them on? (I tried on a pair of clrx tights at REI today and that was how they felt. I've heard them described like a tight pair of pantyhose, but this felt too tight. And might have been because they were an XS.)

Sorry no other personals, but wave.gif to everyone!

Took the bus downtown today to see the lights and stuff. We ended up walking 2.5 miles while we were there, but I felt fine and still feel surprisingly good from the race yesterday. I thought I'd be pretty sore.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Ok, only on this thread would a post that involved a potty stop in the woods be described as "beautiful." ROTFLMAO.gifI mean, it is/was! But still. I'm laughing.

Bwaahhh!!! 

Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 AM

Hello Dingos! I would like to join your wonderful group! I'm just getting back into running after a very long hiatus. I ran cross country my sophmore year in high school and really liked it, but I was lazy and didn't go back my junior or senior year. Then I was in ROTC in college and on active duty in the Army, so I did lots of running, but again I'm lazy and never really ran on my own (only when I was forced to do it in physical training, lol!) So here I am, after 5 years of not running and finally figuring out that I really love running-I love the "alone time" it gives me to think and I love challenging my body and I love the way I feel after I finish a run.

I'm aiming to run the Seattle Rock n' Roll half marathon at the end of June and I found an 18 week training program to follow, but I have no clue how much/fast/often I should be running between now and when I start the training program. Right now I'm running every two days because I had a stress fracture in my foot back in June (started out running too far, too fast, too soon) and sometimes it aches a little; I'm scared of reinjuring it so I'm trying to take it slow. Any tips, advice, suggestions for cross-training type work-outs I can do on my non-run days that will help improve my running? I usually try to do a 20 minute yoga dvd I have in the mornings, but that's mainly to stretch out and wake up. I'm so clueless when it comes to the gym!

TIA! I'm going to go catch up with this thread.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 AM

After my call weekend, I feel like I'm crawling out from under a rock.  It was particularly busy this weekend and I didn't accomplish really anything at home the entire weekend, including not finishing Caroline's Christmas dress she was hoping to wear in her church program last night :(

I did run yesterday morning at least!  (I've been trying to get up early and run on the first day of a call weekend, since that may be the only chance I get.)

tjsmama - Congrats on being done and your fantastic grades!  Sorry about the family drama, though.

JayGee - I never got the chance to say thank goodness about your biopsy!  And yay, moving!  Hope you and the kids settle in quickly.

bbm - Woohoo on making it through all that training but the taper!  And I love your dedication!

Geo - what great info on walking/biking to school.  We live in a very inaccessible for students district, with no hope of any new buildings soon unfortunately.  We live 1.5 miles from the elementary school, down a busy road with no sidewalks, and 2+ miles from the middle school or the high school.

Hope everyone coming done with something manages to fight it off instead!

NRR - I've been offered a job interview for a faculty position, and we are trying to work out the logistics to at least go for an interview.  This is making me a nervous wreck.  When I talk to the folks in KC, I keep thinking how great the job sounds, and then I think about moving my family, and trying to sell my house and leaving my patients and then I'm a mess.  Eksmom reminded me that going for an interview doesn't commit me to anything, and I'm trying to remember that - and dh also says there's no way I can make a real decision without checking it out, but jeesh, this is nerve wracking!

Tags
Running L Productions , Health Healing
User Tag List