Dingos Dashing Through the Snow ~ December Running Mamas Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

tiphat.gif Hello Dingos!

I'm way behind, and just wanted to stop in to say hello and share a funny/ironic/maddening story with you...

I got the most awesome biking shorts and top for Christmas today! thumb.gif And a pair of long biking pants, all from my lovely DH. I am so excited to get out there and ride my new bike that I just got for my birthday! bikenew.gif

Except it was stolen last night. Right out from under our noses on Christmas Eve! Can you believe it!? We just filed the police report and searched the obvious places just in case it was an opportunistic kid out for a quick joy ride, but no dice. It looks like it's truly gone. DH will check out the pawn shop on Monday.greensad.gif

So despite being very bummed about it, I still appreciate the whole gift-of-the-magi kind of irony about it.  As I sit here in my awesome bike pants with nowhere to go.

lol.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Mel- that sucks!  I hope they find it soon!   My Dh had his bike stolen this summer and we were just sure we wouldn't get it back, but we did.  It's a relatively expensive mountain bike (for someone who doesn't bike much), and the police ended up finding it the next week.  Whoever stole it wrecked the chain and dumped it to steal another bike.  I hope you get it back asap!!

Dingos- I ran!  Not much, and not for long but it was great.  joy.gif   I ran intervals and I am feeling like I can jump into the C25K type program I used last fall at about week 3 or so and be ok.  There is hope for the Frozen Feat yet!  My legs felt great, but my lungs are definitely out of shape.  That's the usual for me, though.  I wonder if I will ever recover from my years of smoking...  It has been almost 5 years since I quit and I am so glad I did.  

We had family visit, MIL took the kids home with her and left BIL here with us.  No family drama of any kind- which makes me really happy that we didn't make it to see my family.  ROTFLMAO.gif

#483 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
So what day should we become extended family?  Dingos are family, right?  My inlaws will be here through Monday mid day, I think.

Monday I head south on 71. Tuesday back through. Tuesday I'll peel away earlier and stop for at least coffee or a walk midday? Is

BBM around here?

Dingos are more like the friends you have over for New Years when you're sick of dealing with Great Aunt - in Law Thelma. Such a person really does exist in my
life and she's rather like the aunt from Christmas story.

I

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#484 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Thanks Nemesis! I will keep a bit of hope alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View PostDingos- I ran!  Not much, and not for long but it was great.  joy.gif   I ran intervals and I am feeling like I can jump into the C25K type program I used last fall at about week 3 or so and be ok.  There is hope for the Frozen Feat yet! 

Hurrah! What a great feeling! When is the FF? Is it a 5k?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#485 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 05:17 PM

NO way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Except it was stolen last night. Right out from under our noses on Christmas Eve! Can you believe it!? We just filed the police report and searched the obvious places just in case it was an opportunistic kid out for a quick joy ride, but no dice. It looks like it's truly gone. DH will check out the pawn shop on Monday.greensad.gif

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#486 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Ugh, Mel. I'm so sorry. greensad.gif I'll keep my fingersx.gif that it turns up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Garmin software leaves quite a bit to be desired.  The programmers need to take my Planets class, which is really a graphing class in disguise.

lol.gif Yep, the Garmin software blows. Which is why the only thing I really use it for is to look at my lap times, since they don't seem to upload to dailymile!

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas! Mine was nice, if not super exciting. My mom woke me up too early for breakfast, after which I ended up taking a 2 hour nap on the couch. orngtongue.gif I got out for a quick run, my usual loop around town. Wearing my reindeer antlers with jingle bells, Christmas music on my iphone, and snow flurries flying. It was all good until I turned to head back into town and hit the headwind, which blew my antlers off. orngbiggrin.gif Still, not a bad way to burn off a dessert or two! I got to Skype with DS for a few minutes, and then we headed to my stepsister's for Christmas dinner with my stepdad's family. My stepsister's little boy (approx 2 1/2) is freaking adorable, and latched right on to me for some snuggles. love.gif

And tomorrow, I get my little man back! joy.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#487 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 06:50 PM
bec

Mel, that sucks!  I sure hope it is recovered.

So, I never did get my 5 miles in.  I've been having a running slump this week after a strong start.  Hmmm, now that I think about it, I ran 4 on Monday, 3.5 on Tuesday, and 1 on Wednesday as part of my brick workout.  Nothing since then.  Maybe that wasn't the best strategy for me.  That, or I was just crazy busy with holiday madness.  I had planned to get out and do my run today, but my friend asked me to take a long walk with her instead.  So, we headed to the forest preserve and walked 2.5 miles of snowy trails before going to a paved surface for another 1.5 miles.  It was a great walk, and I don't regret going at all.  But, I am packing running clothes, so I can run in NYC this next week!  Speaking of which, I am almost packed, and we head out early tomorrow morning!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#488 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Bec, have a great time!

Mel, man. That really bites. Hope the bike turns up really soon!

Gaye, have a great reunion tomorrow.

I'm so done with Christmas. Ds is sick with a fever and some (hopefully not contagious) vomiting, I'm getting anxious about work I need to be knocking out over break, and I've eaten too damn much for about the last 48 hours. I've had a lovely day, just - tired and wanting to crawl into bed now. I have had a good visit with my parents overall, and we've still got a few days, but the actual holiday is over with and I'm fine with that.

So, off to bed... good vibes to dingos running tomorrow. smile.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#489 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM

I hope everyone who celebrates had a fabulous Christmas.

Mel, so sorry about your bike, I am pretty sure I could not be so positive.

Gaye, I bet your little man missed you!!!!

To all the travelers...safe journeys.

We are headed north to ski for the week tomorrow. Snow is in the forecast and my oldest is so excited to be back on skis.  I am hoping for a restful week with my family and lots of skiing and skinning up the mountain.......now off to bed before the craziness starts all over again tomorrow.

Aimee, wife to Chris, mom to two amazing boys 8/06 and 4/09. Reliving childhood with the boys.
#490 of 597 Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Nemesis~YAY for having any kind of a good run! Have fun getting back into the C25K program.

Mel~that really sucks about the bike. I hope they recover it soon.

Gaye~I know how much you're looking forward to seeing your DS. I bet he miss you a ton!

I agree that the Garmin software is very lacking. How do you make such a cool gadget then have sucky software to go with it?! Maybe there's just not an easy way, but how do you keep track of your lap times? I have mine set to auto lap every mile and I figured there'd be a way to see your lap times in the "training" program, but I can't find it anywhere. I've just been trying to remember them as I run which doesn't always work out so well.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#491 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 06:34 AM

Hey Dingos

Gaye so excited for you to see your llittle guy.

JayGee I am amazed what you can accomplish especiall when I read you went for a run at the Y so soon after moviing and buying a tree and ........Wow!

We had a really nice Christmas here major score on running apparel from  dh going to try out the new tights today I hope.

Merry Merry to all.....to me it's still Christmas al least until New Years day.

#492 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

modmom ~ you are too kind. I really just needed a break and the Y is a good place to get one!

Mel ~ that just plain sucks!  I hope you get your bike back soon.  Will insurance cover it if not?

We had a lovely Christmas yesterday.  Everyone loved all their presents.  I got a Kindle joy.gif and the book The Help which I cannot put down.  I hope to run today, outside in the snow.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#493 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Happy Boxing Day Dingos!

Mel - Fingers crossed that you get your bike back!  You are amazingly calm! (At least it looks that way from here! :lol)

We had a nice Christmas, two church services on Friday ( a first in my lifetime), one for the kids and one for dd and I to be singing in the choir though that one turned out to be pretty late for both of us and not enough music to make it feel worth all the yawning.  Then we did presents yesterday.  Once I saw what was under the tree I was a little astonished at myself, I don't like to go overboard but when I was shopping at GW earlier this month and knew that both girls had grown out of most of their clothes I did go a little crazy and pretty much picked up everything that was there in their sizes.  It was a great haul and they needed the wardrobe refresher but dang!  When they saw it in the morning C said "Wow! We must have be really good this year!" :)

Sad to say dh effed up again this year and didn't give me a single present that I hadn't picked out at the thrift store and suggested he give me.  And he didn't supervise the kids to have them give me a single gift either so if I hadn't had a hand in my own presents it would have been another incredibly awful Christmas in that regard.  I was so upset that I confronted him about it and told him I thought it was a shitty example to set for our kids and that they weren't going to not notice how they hadn't given me anything and what does that teach them about valuing loved ones (even though this makes me feel like I'm saying it's all about the shwag - I'd have been totally happy with handmade anything).  Anyway, he apologized and I'm mostly over it.  I can be over it if I think of him like a 5 year old boy.  He loves to get presents and he'd be bummed if he didn't get anything but yeah, doesn't think about the other person's perspective much.  So anyway, what I really was hoping to get was a new can opener that doesn't make me curse every time I use it and some new pot holders so tomorrow I'm going to go get myself a fancy pair.

Oy.

I'm very glad that this is not everyone else's experience and that it sounds like there were some great gifts exchanged out in Dingoland.

Today we're hosting a potluck and I guess we're expecting about 30 people, mostly kids, so I'd better get off my butt and clear away some space for it! 
xxoo to everyone!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#494 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Welcome.gif to all the new Dingos!

Plady, I think you are right about the example that is being set by not picking out (making, buying, whatever) a gift for everyone. I hope your DH takes that to heart.

Aw, Gaye, I bet you do miss your little guy. It's going to be great to see him again.

We are driving DD to the airport for her first solo trip to visit my brother's family. She's so excited, so I hope that the flight isn't canceled due to the big storm that's heading to the northeast. Mom is nervous . . . and excited for her, too. Yeesh. happytears.gif

I'm dressed for a run but sitting in the office clearing away weeks worth of bills, papers, receipts... Maybe later bag.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#495 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Mel, that bites! What a scrooge that someone would steal your bike on Christmas!

Gaye, hope you're having a great time with your little man today.

Plady, hugs on the dh gift thing from someone who is right there with you.

Did I mention I spent Friday evening hiding in the broom closet crying because dh 1) hadn't gotten me a gift; 2) insulted the dinner I worked hard to make; and 3) was the one who hid the fan remotes and didn't tell me because he didn't like searching for them all the time? splat.gif

He somewhat redeemed himself yesterday by shopping online with me for my Garmin (and yes I picked the 210!) and said we should start looking for grown up bedroom furniture and actually looked online with me for an entire 10 minutes. (This is going to be ugly because we totally don't have the same style...but at least he is willing to consider something than vintage curb-castoff and Target plastic drawers after 15 years of marriage).

Anyway.

Forgot the rest of my personals.

Had a nice and easy 6 miles today with my running partner who has not been feeling the mojo the last few months and is really down on herself about it. Working to help her get re-motivated so we had a nice chat today.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#496 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Aaaaannnd......  I'm back.  blowkiss.gif

Over the past month or so, my computer was steadily declining.  It got slower and slower and slower, and would overheat and shut down at random intervals.  It was especially bad when I was sitting in the chair next to our woodstove, which is, of course, my very favorite place to be.  Very incompatible with my lifestyle.  So, in my current style of simply telling DH what to buy instead of expecting him to figure it out, I told him that he's good with computers and coud therefore buy me a new laptop for Christmas.  I also gave him a written list titled "Things your wife would be thrilled to see in her Christmas stocking."

So, here I am, sitting by the fire, typing on my new laptop, munching on Milano cookies and drinking fancy hot chocolate.  Merry Christmas to me.  Maybe next year I'll go one step further and just buy the things and wrap them myself.

Our holidays were surprisingly stress-free and decent.  We hosted DH's sister, her husband, their two girls, and DH's father on Christmas Eve.  I made much too much food, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  We have plenty of fruit and cookies and wontons and meatballs and cheesecake for dinner tonight.  Our visit with SIL's family was pretty good.  They have a different lifestyle than we have, and I am often distressed by the things my ten-year-old niece says on Facebook (and the fact that she's on Facebook in the first place), but in person their kids are nice to my kids, and they were happy to eat and open presents and play DH's Rock Band video game.  My FIL stayed overnight so was here in the morning to watch the kids and us open presents.  A few years ago this was awkward, as he comes to stay for the night but doesn't bring anything.  No pajamas, clothes for the next day, toothbrush.... nothing.  I had to get over that, and the fact that he only wants coffee and cigarettes in the morning, and any attempt to make an appreciated holiday breakfast would be wasted.  After ten years of marriage to his son, I really do like the guy and have stopped trying too hard to impress him.  It just doesn't work. 

Christmas Day after FIL went home, we drove to my parents' house to see my brother, his wife and their daughter, my parents, and my grandmother.  I find it so relaxing to be at my parents' house with my family, and we had a pretty laid-back day.  Nobody went overboard on the presents and there was minimal drama.  My grandmother, who is in her eighties, lives alone, and is fighting some dementia issues, was in okay form, although it's obvious her memory isn't nearly what it used to be.  I was able to sit with her for an hour or so after dinner and listen to her talk about her past, her parents, and her early relationship with my grandfather.

It was a very nice holiday here.  In the past couple of years we've cut off communication with my father's siblings (there was a nasty blowup when my grandfather died), and It's made everything much more peaceful.  We don't go to the big Christmas party, we don't get involved in any of the petty gossip or drama....  I expected to  be sad about being cut off from some family at Christmas, but it was really very nice.

Now we're trapped inside, expecting a blizzard (15 to 20 inches?), and trying to figure out what our shoveling schedule is going to be.  DH is supposed to be at work at 8:30 in the morning, which will be difficult to manage if we get snow dumped on us all night.  This week we are finally going to buy a snowblower.

I gave in and joined a gym last week, so I've been there a few times, running a bit and trying to figure out how to swim without drowning.  The other day I went and swam without putting my face in the water, just practicing how to take a breath while I rotated my arm up.  It was pitiful.  Baby steps, though, right?

It's good to be back; I'll catch up more with everyone on my vacation!

#497 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM

I lost a big post as it just didn't post. I can't bring myself to redo it, my apologies. greensad.gif I'm sad my personal notes to everyone are lost.

The short bit is that I am down to 16 miles left for the year. The kiddos are still wound up big time. Christmas went well enough though dh is being grumpy about everything.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#498 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM

La, good for you, with the swimming!

Nic, greensad.gif on the dh stuff. I'm empathizing with you, big time.

Plady, you sound like you did a great job with Christmas for your kids. Sorry on the dh front... hopefully he'll get the message.

I'm kind of struggling here - did not get any work done today, which I'd planned to do, and I'm starting to be quite anxious about it. Dh goes back to work tomorrow, my parents are here through Wednesday, ds has been sick, I'm not quite sure where to fit in the work time I need. Probably an hour to plan and schedule will take care of a lot of the anxiety - maybe tomorrow after dh goes to work.

Dd is at an overnight - hoping she has a good time. It's so bittersweet that she's growing up. happytears.gifI mean, the kid's almost ten, but it's still a little heart-tugging to see her headed happily off with her sleeping bag to another kid's house.

My mom kind of hurt my feelings today and I'm trying to unpack the conversation a bit... she gave me this really pretty purple boiled wool garment for Christmas that she said was a coat. I'm inclined to think it's a dress. It's knee-length and a thin wool, and buttons up the front. So I wore it yesterday as a dress, and she fussed and fussed about how if I wanted to exchange it, I could, etc. etc. and I finally asked her whether she thought it didn't fit. She told me she thinks it's too tight, but that I should decide eyesroll.gif. I put it on over a slip and camisole and really, really looked in the mirror, and I think it's fine.The sleeves aren't tight, it isn't stretched over my body at any point, the buttons aren't straining or anything like that. I mean, I'll get a second opinion (probably not from dh) but I honestly think it looks good. It's fitted, and doesn't look like a coat, but it's a pretty dress.

Part of the problem is that my mom is critical of my body. For a while I've been "too thin" and now I seem to be, I guess, too fat. My weight might be up slightly from the last time she saw me, but only 2-3 pounds at most, not even enough for an average observer to even notice, I think. I just am feeling really sad. And I'm working hard to be careful about what I eat without straying into disordered eating habits (I have no history, but can tell sometimes that I'm a little bit too focused on what I eat or weigh.) greensad.gif Sigh.

</ranty thing>

So, getting a run in tomorrow, hopefully before I pick dd up from her playdate so I can show up showered and stuff. wink1.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#499 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hiya dingoes! Can't believe how behind I am. The final weeks of the semester were nuts and then my folks arrived from Spain. My poor mum had a horrific fall just before she got here and I ended up taking her to hospital. Her face is black and blue, two weeks later, though her black-eyes are better. My poor ol' mum. And then my sister's partner died the day before Christmas eve from a drug's overdose. He's a recovering heroin addict and after 9 years he relapsed. He and another guy took valium which had been laced with rat's poison and they both died. My sister found him. it is heartbreaking, just heartbreaking. Please keep her in your thoughts/prayers.

In spite of all that we had a pretty nice Christmas with my folks here. We're about to have a blizzard and so we're praying the power stays on. We seems to lose it when we have a slight breeze!

Hopefully have more time to catch up this week.

:)

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#500 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 PM

trish~My Garmin is 3 years old, so I have a pretty old version of the training center, but when it uploads the data, I can click to view the lap history right in the main screen. I haven't tried the "new" Garmin software, mostly because I am horribly averse to change. bag.gif Assuming you have a 305, you can also view the lap history from the unit by going to the history screen, viewing the day/workout you want to look at, and then clicking through to view laps.

penelope~hug.gif

I have my little man back. love.gif He gave me the biggest hug ever when we picked him up. Ran right past Grandma, who was standing there with arms wide open. lol.gif We had a nice celebration with my mom's family, DS was thrilled with his santa gift, and then got a ton more toys/books, mostly from grandma. Who will be the one paying to ship them all back to Colorado. orngtongue.gif

MUST get out to run tomorrow...the cookies, cake, pie, etc. etc. etc. ...yikes! yikes.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#501 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Trish--no, I had hyperemesis the whole time, which left no energy for anything beyond surviving. Good luck TTC. We started in July too, which is how we ended up with J.

searcher--Most of the time, the kids stay plenty warm with their coats, mittens, hats, and a blanket over them. If it's windy I put the rain/wind cover on the jogger. Also, I don't take them out if it's below 30 degrees. If it's sunny, it feels warmer and isn't a big deal. Also, I"m amazed that you can push both of your kids in there! My 6yo weighed in at 32.5 lbs at her appointment last week; the baby is only 15.

Nick--the Diva cup definitely has a learning curve. It took 4 months before I figured it out. Also, I basically cut off all of the stem and never spin it that much. I have worn it during a half-marathon, but I'd been using it quite a while at that point. (And it overflowed, but I had a pad on too because I'd expected it under the circumstances.) Also, I'm with you: I hate the start/stop of the Galloway method. I don't like to hike that way either. DH and R are both start/stoppers though.

DrJen--wow, a baby, dress, and piano solo all in 24 hours! bow.gif

Geo--yay for a new Garmin! Hope your cold is improving.

Mel--that's awful! Hope your bike shows up no worse for the wear.

JayGee--that sounds cool. I'm lusting after a Nook so I can check stuff out from the library with it.

mommajb--just 16, WTG!

Penelope--sorry about your mom and the dress. I bet you look fabulous.

tjsmama--glad you got your little one back! joy.gif

Re Garmin software: I find that the online Garmin Connect is much easier to use than the desktop software.

We had a good Christmas. We spent Christmas Eve cleaning and preparing, then I took the girls in the jogger for a run to see early Christmas lights (it was 4:30ish, so not much was on) while DH made dinner. My parents and sister's family arrived for dinner, we opened gifts and then headed to church for the candlelight service. On Christmas day we opened gifts and puttered around at home. In the afternoon I got out for 7 miles and then we had dinner at my sister's house with my parents and her in-laws. The kids were pretty wound up, but it was fun. Oh, and I discovered the joys of (non-dairy) hot buttered rum this year. yummy.gif

Gift-wise it wasn't too overwhelming. DH had asked his parents for an iPod Touch but they got him a Nook. He's been trying to figure out what to do with it because he's been completely opposed to e-readers but really wanted something to browse the web. I suggested that he could give me the Nook and get the iPod Touch, but the more we talk about it, the more he wants to keep it. lol.gif I think the current plan is for him to play with it for a bit and see if he really likes it. And if not, then he could get something else and give it to me.

I have Nook envy. I'm not sure if it's because I really want an e-reader, or because I want the kind of life where I use the e-reader frequently (on the bus, in coffee shops, etc). Unfortunately, most of my reading is done on a seat where I'd be afraid of dropping the e-reader, ikwim. redface.gif

Off to do a strength workout.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#502 of 597 Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
 Merry Christmas to me.  Maybe next year I'll go one step further and just buy the things and wrap them myself.

~

I gave in and joined a gym last week, so I've been there a few times, running a bit and trying to figure out how to swim without drowning.  The other day I went and swam without putting my face in the water, just practicing how to take a breath while I rotated my arm up.  It was pitiful.  Baby steps, though, right?

It's good to be back; I'll catch up more with everyone on my vacation!

First of all, don't do it!  Wrapping one's own presents is soul-sucking. If you have a dh who can buy and wrap with only a list to guide him don't accept anything less!

Second, with my swimming lesson kids who are learning how to breathe for the crawl I start them just standing in the shallow end bending over to simulate the position they'd be in and figuring out the breathing with the arms without actually moving off the spot.  It might give you some more confidence.  Or, you can hold on to a ladder and simulate arm strokes by letting your forward hand balance on the step while you pull and breathe.  Just two other baby steps for getting the breathing, because once you feel okay with that you'll be good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Dd is at an overnight - hoping she has a good time. It's so bittersweet that she's growing up. happytears.gifI mean, the kid's almost ten, but it's still a little heart-tugging to see her headed happily off with her sleeping bag to another kid's house.

My mom kind of hurt my feelings today ~ Part of the problem is that my mom is critical of my body.~ I just am feeling really sad. And I'm working hard to be careful about what I eat without straying into disordered eating habits (I have no history, but can tell sometimes that I'm a little bit too focused on what I eat or weigh.) greensad.gif Sigh.

nod.gif I hear you on the fleeting youth thing.  I can really see that C is precariously close to moving out of kiddom and into teendom and it's hard to bear.

And hug2.gifon the mom thing.   I'm sending you defiant vibes to let her hangups be her hangups, not yours.  You are one smoking hot mama, whatever your current metrics.  The sad thing is that she's unable to focus on what's real for you and, I'm sure, for her. 

My mom is super obsessed about weight too - somehow I've mostly been able to scoff at her concern that I might be unfashionably large but I do recall her recoiling from the sight of me at about 13 in a bikini.  I had a band of pudge underneath what would become breasts and stretch marks on my hips which had suddenly popped and she asked me "what is that?".    That was the day I suddenly became body conscious - I hope I never do anything like that to my daughters!

Alex!  What a terrible tragedy!  It's unimaginable!  I'm sending love and prayers out to your sister and your mom.  And hoping you don't lose your power!

Nic - Meant to chime in on the diva thing, I use one almost exclusively (except when I go to TKD, if I have to do a lot of jumping kicks in white pants the risk just seems way too great!).  I don't know about the twist but I do need to make sure it gives a little squelching sound.  Once you get it a few times you'll know when it's right.

Gaye - It must be so sweet to be reunited!

We had a nice potluck today, it was a good mix of friends, not too many as quite a few people didn't show.  And the bonus is that the house is super tidy!  Every finished room is presentable, a rare feat.  C said today, "wouldn't it be amazing if we could keep it like this for a whole year?"  I was all biglaugh.gif, eyesroll.gif andmecry.gif

Okay, off to sleepytime.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#503 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 AM

Oh, Dingos.. I am running again today! joy.gif   My leg is a bit sore, but some yoga will fix that.  I had an issue with my leg support last night (something itchy in the fabric that I couldn't find in my frantic trip to the bathroom) so I didn't wear it at all last night at work.  I will wear it today to run and work, for sure.   I am so happy to be at least trying to run again.  

Quick vent-

MIL took the kids on Saturday, and left BIL here.  Sunday was super busy (birthday party for a family friend, then 8 hours of work, then chores) and MIL really wants me to pick up the kids tomorrow.  Which is a 4 hour drive one way.  

This is pretty much ok, but I would like a little more time before the kids come back.   The part that pisses me off is that I am expected (by my DH, myself and "them" in general) to spend my whole day cleaning.  I have so much to do!  Here I am, not even at 8 a.m. feeling overwhelmed and worn out already.  I'm making a list that is too long and just on the verge of tears because I am so tired.  DH helps with the cleaning, but there is always an emotional price tag that comes with it.  

#504 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Holy cow - after working 3 days, I had to catch up on 50 or so posts you guys smile.gif  I start from the most recent and go backwards (I jotted down notes on a piece of paper beside me lol.gif

Plady and Penolope - my mom has always been really supportive of me and my looks, but one time when I was 12 she mentioned how one of my breasts was larger than the other and how that was normal, but I've never been able to get over it.

zubeldia - so sorry about your sister's partner.

Mel - that sucks about the bike.

nic - I have an iphone and absolutely LOVE it.  I bought DH one too. smile.gif

Plady - I bought most of my gifts this year too and DH gave me money which is so weird.  He said it was because everything he wanted to get me was too expensive.  Also, other than baking with the kids and giving baked goods as gifts, I didn't buy anything from the kids, only because we're pretty much poor.  I bought DH "Twilight" (the movie) for his bday (2 weeks before Christmas) and he's watched it at least 3 times.  He's so funny.

doctorjen - That's pretty cool about the Christmas baby.  Last year, when I was working as a doula, my friend had her baby at 7am on Christmas day.  She called me at midnight during a shift at the e-clinic.  I was able to go and it really started the Christmas off awesome.  She had a natural waterbirth in a very mother-friendly hospital.  And I was able to make it home to watch the kids open their presents.

Geofizz - I love your math example.  I drop the zeroes and add them back in after calculating.

Gaye - nursing school is awesome and something I've also considered.  Way to go on your grades. smile.gif

So, we made no-bake cookies for Santa and put out carrots for the reindeer.  We did our Christmas on Thursday.  I ran 3 miles that evening on the TM. Friday, I did 20 minutes on my stationary bike.  Saturday, I ran 3.5 miles OUTDOORS.  My shins are a little achy from the bumpy terrain, but not bad.  I wore a hat because I couldn't find my ear band, a flannel shirt and jacket and leggings.  Not too bad.  Sunday, I did no exercise.  I also worked Fri-Sun at the e-clinic.  I got to assist with a GDV (bloat) on a beautiful 8yo red golden retriever on Saturday and on Sunday, we pulled ribbon stretching from around the tongue to the colon out of a 10yo long-haired black cat.  The vet had to cut into the intestines 5X to get it all.  Both recovered wonderfully.  We also had a lot of euthanasias, which was sad, but mostly good stuff.  

Today we're inside because of the blizzard.  I just had a conversation with my 3yo boy that went, "I have a poop.  That's why I need a binkie."  "You don't have a poop."  "I just need a binkie."  Out of the mouths of babes. smile.gif  He has sensory processing disorder, hence the need for plastic comfort.

I think today I'll try a 4 miles progression run, 5 if I feel good.  I've got to try the Diva cup.  Currently, I use mama pads or tampons.  The mama pads chafe when running, so I use the tampons for that.  Well, that's all for now.  Whew, caught up, finally orngtongue.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#505 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 AM

RR: 4.2 m. in the cold cold air ... felt good to be out and now my dd is back home and we're preparing for the day. smile.gif

#506 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Another 6.4 miles in the books. joy.gif I know cross training is good for me (the kind with weights at the gym, not the good stuff though that is probably good for me too blush.gif) but when I skip it in favor of just running the miles add up and it just feels so fun. While I don't regret getting another jogger I do love the feeling of running away from home unencumbered other than my thoughts. It is the child care that will drive me back to the gym and weight room soon enough. I have 9.51 miles left to hit 1000 for 2010.

My parents were lovely, Christmas is finally back to doable after many years of so overdone it felt like a binge for all concerned. Even the big kids seem pleased; I knew the little ones would be okay but the big kids might have had expectations left over from past years when my parent and I could and wanted to do more. My brother came to visit and took some photos of the younger ones that he put up on my facebook. I guess young teenager don't take good photos because he didn't get any of them. eyesroll.gif

Mel, greensad.gif on the bike

Gaye, enjoy your boy!

Penelope, goodvibes.gif and hug.gif on the body image disordered eating thoughts and boo to your mom. I totally get what you are saying and unfortunately I am trying so hard not be that mom as my own thoughts may not always be balanced. redface.gif

Trish I typed in directions for the garmin last night and lost them. When you dive into history you can eventually get to lap times. At the top of my screen it gives a cumulative time but on the bottom half you can get individual lap times. I have a 305.

Geo, I am just over 3 hours from you I think. The talk of the dingo meetup made me look. It is probably too far for a day trip, dh has to work this week to get ready for next semester and I think he is looking to leave academics before fall. Why would a tenured prof do that?! Can you feel my stress? In any event tomorrow I have an eye exam and a dental cleaning. At least I currently have insurance.

La4 and nemesis wave.gif

Alex it is good to see you here again. I try to keep up/lurk on FB but have been only so-so at it lately. Maybe I'll even post a run on DM soon.

Real, we got a kindle for the holidays for the family and it doesn't come with time to read. I am finding out the hard way.

Plady, you always impress me wiht all you do, a well kept house is not the best way to spend one's life (unless it makes you happy).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#507 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Does anyone know of a fun walk/run  coming up in the Seattle area ?

#508 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Happy, happy to be with my little guy again. And he's not quite driving me crazy yet. lol.gif My sister and BIL left this morning, but left my niece behind, so the two are doing a pretty good job of entertaining themselves/each other. My mom got them both musical christmas toothbrushes for their stockings, and they were dancing to the music most of today. Which is pretty funny, except that 2+ minutes of competing choruses of frosty and jingle bells is a bit annoying. orngtongue.gif DN goes home tomorrow, but will be back for a day this weekend before we go home. I absolutely love watching/listening to the two of them play. They're absolutely hilarious together!

Went back out for my usual loop this morning. I really should try running the loop the other way, since the wind is always blowing the same direction and when I hit the county road heading back into town, it's a nasty little headwind. And it was colder than it has been this morning. cold.gif I'm wondering if I reverse the loop, if maybe it won't be so cold (the road I run out on is actually in town, so a little more sheltered). I really should just run somewhere else but I'm too lazy to come up with something that doesn't entail endless long and boring miles on county roads...

#509 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

13 miles to go for 2010.

How do I make the Garmin chirp each mile?  I'm thrilled it works just fine under my jacket, since tonight I was more concerned with keeping my wrist warm than getting an accurate distance.  I also learned that my "hill" route is actually a half mile up totaling a 100 ft climb followed by another 50 foot climb.  Bonus that this route is starting to get easier. 

Ear still stuffed and ringing.  This is getting annoying. 

Elliot took a fall Christmas night.  I'm not ready to really talk about it.  He's ok, but I'm still freaked.  If he makes it through this with just a massive scar, we'll be lucky.

Mom body image hangups - I'm lucky I don't get that much from my mom, but I get plenty of other hangups from her.   I'm working to parent consciously to give DD the best possible outlook.

Mommajb, your happiness is coming through so clearly.

I can't wait for a dingo meet tomorrow!

#510 of 597 Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Gaye, I love how kids amuse each other.  It works nicely with my three being so close in age.  They all pretty much amuse each other smile.gif

A 5-miler today, sort-of intervals.  I would run for 2-3 laps and then walk for 200-400m.  I'm also counting my slow jog warm-up and cool-down (1 mile total).  When I'm more in shape, I won't count the warm-up and cool-down shy.gif Oh, and I also did a minimal amount of weights beforehand.  Now time to snuggle up under my blankets in this crazy snowstorm cold.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)

Tags
Running L Productions , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page