Dingos Dashing Through the Snow ~ December Running Mamas Thread - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

bmm: It i quite normal to doubt yourself right before a race. I'm not sure which race you are running, but remember that the most important part of a race is showing up at the start line... then all you have to do is finish. ;)

tjs: I would love to run in Colorado, but I don't think it would be worth it with the elevation change. I'm back on Long Island... sea level... not great for training for a race at elevation. I really want to move back to Boulder, but it seems like it would be hard for us to make a decent living there. We also got the kids into a GREAT school here... totally progressive, small, edible school yard, no grades, only narrative assessment, etc. I am really considering the desert RATS race... I wanted to do that last year too... if I don't do it this year... which I probably won't since I am pretty uch planning to MTB this summer... I am going to do it or something similar next year. I'd also like to run the Grand Canyon, but I stopped running enough to do it this year. I have one race friend who wants to do it too.

I'd also love to see Seattle... I'll have to check that out... 

Graceie: I had serious stomach issues after having ds2... give yourself time. I think that's the key.

Geo: I didn't realize it was that kind of cut...  I lost some skin on my hand when I was young and they put it in something this helped seal it up and help it heal. It might be worth it to see a doctor. 

#542 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 AM

S&S, where in the world on LI did you find a school like that?! I moved here (to FL) from Cedarhurst (5Towns, southwest Nassau County right near the Far Rockaway border) about 17 months ago and my area was anything BUT progressive in the education department. (Not to mention the lack of county recycling, etc....)

Anyway.

I seem to remember the RXR Long Island Marathon is sometime in early spring. I ran the 10K portion of it. It starts and finishes in Eisenhower Park. It's not really a lovely marathon I'm told...most of the time you're running up and back on the Southern State Pkwy. But it is nearby.

I think for that time of year Vermont City would be your best bet for something within driving distance. Oh, there is one now in Rhode Island, the Boston 'alternative.' Not sure if there are qualifying requirements though.

BBM...YOU ARE GOING TO ROCK THE GOOFY. Did I yell loud enough?! lol.gif  I can't get your back much at the half as I won't be there yet, but if I have to tie a rope around your waist and tote you to the end of the marathon, I will. Just kidding -- you'll probably be pulling me. We will help each other. It will be okay and you, me, and Paige will FINISH PROUDLY. And the rest of the Dingoes will be routing for us virtually. Ha.

Okay?! Okay.

(I am also having anxiety although strangely not over running...over bring the right stuff, getting up on time, being too cold, etc.)

Meanwhile I am having trouble getting out the door for my measly 4 this morning...it's cold and I keep finding other things to do.

Geo, hugs to you and Elliott.

Memiles, that's awful. I'm so sorry. What a terrible tragedy.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#543 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Gracie, I definitely had that feeling after my second baby. I ran while pregnant with her for a while but I it took me a long time to get back to running regularly after she was born. I remember trying on her birthday and it still not working for me. It did get better, eventually and while still nursing (and a few more pregnancies thrown in just for fun).

Geo, the concussion is scary than the scar for me though the scar is what I would worry over because I can cope with that. The teeth really do tighten up. What does he think of it all? The exposure to sunshine is definitely the thing to avoid for scar healing.

BBM, you can do it! You will make that dingo meet up and you will run for hope and faith.

kerc, I hope someone has shoveled you out when you get to the van or at least that the shoveling isn't too hard. August - the location works well for me but the school board is talking about a balanced schedule so the kids would all be in school by Aug 1 if they go ahead with it. greensad.gif

memiles, the tragedy is something I don;t like to imagine. I hope with the time you have the right way to discuss it comes to you and that perhaps you get more information.

S&S, welcome back! I too am looking for a marathon but can't find the right one. Columbus, OH fell into my lap last year, making the decisions this far out is much harder.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#544 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Nic we crossposted.
1. The dingos will definitely need tracking info for all involved.
2. I still have to run today -I am waiting for dh to go to work so he won't wait for me to get home before leaving. School break gives me all sorts of options with the big kids home.
3. My best friend's husband grew up in Rockaway I think. It is ringing all sorts of bells for me. I know he is from LI.

#545 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Woohoo!  I am going out for my 3rd run this week! joy.gif   I don't know how I'll do it when the kids get back, but for now I am running.  

I pick up the kids today at noon, thankfully.  I've been missing them a lot!

#546 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

S&S, where in the world on LI did you find a school like that?! I moved here (to FL) from Cedarhurst (5Towns, southwest Nassau County right near the Far Rockaway border) about 17 months ago and my area was anything BUT progressive in the education department. (Not to mention the lack of county recycling, etc....)

Anyway.

I seem to remember the RXR Long Island Marathon is sometime in early spring. I ran the 10K portion of it. It starts and finishes in Eisenhower Park. It's not really a lovely marathon I'm told...most of the time you're running up and back on the Southern State Pkwy. But it is nearby.

I think for that time of year Vermont City would be your best bet for something within driving distance. Oh, there is one now in Rhode Island, the Boston 'alternative.' Not sure if there are qualifying requirements though.

BBM...YOU ARE GOING TO ROCK THE GOOFY. Did I yell loud enough?! lol.gif  I can't get your back much at the half as I won't be there yet, but if I have to tie a rope around your waist and tote you to the end of the marathon, I will. Just kidding -- you'll probably be pulling me. We will help each other. It will be okay and you, me, and Paige will FINISH PROUDLY. And the rest of the Dingoes will be routing for us virtually. Ha.

Okay?! Okay.

(I am also having anxiety although strangely not over running...over bring the right stuff, getting up on time, being too cold, etc.)

Meanwhile I am having trouble getting out the door for my measly 4 this morning...it's cold and I keep finding other things to do.

Geo, hugs to you and Elliott.

Memiles, that's awful. I'm so sorry. What a terrible tragedy.

Haha! Yeah Long Island definitely isn't progressive as a whole. Garbage, schools run by tests, etc. 

They are in Hayground in Bridgehampton. There are only fifty kids in the school (pre-k-8).

http://www.hayground.org/

I loved Colorado, but my husband is a builder and makes much better money here so we moved back. 

I don't think I can stomach that LI marathon. Isn't it down a highway!?! I did apply for the Gansett one (it's ctually harder to qualify than Boston) thinking the whole family could go on a trip, but the weather in April is so iffy... I might do this:

http://www.udel.edu/johnmack/traildawgs/tc/

It isn't even a certified course though. I am considering the Bear Mountain 50k, but they haven't even announced a date!

Right now, I just need a decent base. I really slacked off when we bought this house.

Where are you mamjb? If you are more central in the country I bet you could find an awesome 50k. 

#547 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Where are you mamjb? If you are more central in the country I bet you could find an awesome 50k. 

Yeah, mommajb!!!  How about the Tecumseh Trail Marathon next December?!  I could be up for it by then.... (insert picture of me dreaming)

Heading to the Y this morning to try out a spin class.  I haven't taken a spin class in almost a year, but I'm ready!  I also want to set up my trainer in the basement tonight for the days I can't get to the Y.  Mama is ready to get back in shape!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#548 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM

How far is 50K (you can stop laughing Geo and Kerc. I'm not good at metric conversions. I have other talents. redface.gif)?

I might be up for that. Hahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO.gif

S&S, yeah, the LI Marathon is mostly run up and down the Southern State Parkway. BOOORRRRIIINNNNGGGG.

My dh used to do the Mighty Hamptons triathalon every year. That's a fun one, at least for the participants. For spectators it's a pain in the patootie because there's really no good place to sit and watch the start/finish/transition.

But there's a great pizza place in Sag Harbor to go to afterwards. drool.gif

That school looks awesome!

Are we doing 2011 goals yet?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#549 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM

bbm - I know you got this, you've put in the training.  Not much you do from now until the half/full can help you training wise, so just don't hurt yourself!  And think of the bragging rights you'll get!

Geo - That really is scary, I still have a very vivid memory of watching Chris fall and break his arm - one of those slo-mo memories where I keep thinking I should be able to catch him.  He was 5.  Hopefully E can shake it off and heal up quickly.

I'm jealous of the dingo meet up, and the upcoming Disney one, too!  Seems so long since dingo camping now . . .

RR - I'm plugging away at my 2010 goal, having skipped a whole week and now needing to run nearly every day until the end.  I really wanted to just break my previous high yearly milage record (which was 862.59)  I'm at 858.01 right now, so I think I should make it.  I ran a virtual reality program on the treadmill today called "summit climb" but I had to wonder if it was mislabeled as it seemed to have as much downhill as uphill in it!

I can't remember who started the math-while-running discussion, but I am sort of number obsessed and do math in my head even when not running as a calming mechanism.  I amuse myself while running on the treadmill by figuring out the exact fraction of the run I've completed and still have to go, and noticing whenever the timer read out is on a prime number.  I don't really care so much about specific speeds or distances, but I'm obsessed with knowing what they are.  There, now you all know one of my biggest quirks. 

NRR - Have today off, and hoping to go to a movie or something as a family, which is getting a little trickier with 2 teens and a 7 year old.  I'm definitely going to KC to interview on 1/14, and now I just applied for another job as well in WI that a recruiter who remembered me from a previous round of poking around in the job market called and recommended I apply for.  It's in Appleton, with a U of W affliate residency program.  Still scares me to death, but it's worth it to look around at least, I think.

#550 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

my son was born 7 months ago ( you were there smile.gif) I think it should be better buy now

If you are breastfeeding the extra hormones from that can make the relaxin take longer to leave your system (I think.) My hips always felt really achy and loose until I had completely weaned.

Ive heard that about breastfeeding to . Im hopeing there is a way around it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Gracie, I definitely had that feeling after my second baby. I ran while pregnant with her for a while but I it took me a long time to get back to running regularly after she was born. I remember trying on her birthday and it still not working for me. It did get better, eventually and while still nursing (and a few more pregnancies thrown in just for fun).

i year damit Ok so this may be one of those anoying time tacks times things I guess . but it didnt happen with all your pregnacys ? thank good Im planing another one in the realtively near fucuer and cant inmagine years with my hips like this

mmiles that looks  like a great race have fun I might join you next time

afm Ive got a stuborn ferrett who will onley eat well being held and a baby imforceing a ssrict no put downs policy . we are loading up the bob and walk/joging up the hill to the park about a mile away them swing then back its to sunny for the gym today .

#551 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

FM ~ the BEST spin class I've taken in a while (of course, I haven't been in a while, but still.....)  I was sweating bullets and feeling SO out of shape, but wonderful at the same time.

#552 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

How far is 50K (you can stop laughing Geo and Kerc. I'm not good at metric conversions. I have other talents. redface.gif)?

S&S, yeah, the LI Marathon is mostly run up and down the Southern State Parkway. BOOORRRRIIINNNNGGGG.

My dh used to do the Mighty Hamptons triathalon every year. That's a fun one, at least for the participants. For spectators it's a pain in the patootie because there's really no good place to sit and watch the start/finish/transition.

But there's a great pizza place in Sag Harbor to go to afterwards. drool.gif

That school looks awesome!

Are we doing 2011 goals yet?

A 50k is 31 miles... not much more than a marathon.

I've done the Mighty Hamptons Tri a few times. I did it the year before last year and I did the Montauk Half (70.3) that year too. It is a great race. They are so pricey though! I'm also done with road biking after all the deaths/near deaths of cyclists around here. I'm sticking to MTBing this summer.

Oh and Sag Harbor is awesome all around. We are one town over, but I love that town. It ties Boulder for my favorite town in the whole country! 

#553 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM

I would totally do Wisconsin in (the first half of) August.

No RR today, but I'm hoping for tomorrow.

I'm trying frantically to get myself organized - dropped my parents off at the airport this morning. It was a good visit but I feel like I'm a huge disappointment to them, and also like my mother doesn't respect the flow of my household or some of the basic realities of living with other people (yesterday was tough.) And paradoxically I feel like I'm really mean to her. greensad.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#554 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM

I figured out the 50k pretty fast, since a 5k is 3.1miles, so a 50 would be 31. hehe. doctorjen - That's funny about the prime numbers. I'm the one who finds numbers pretty soothing, but that's not something I look for..now you all know what I will be thinking about during my next run redface.gif

So, yesterday or the day before, my arm, palm, and pinkie started tingling and I blew it off because I was typing and reading while resting my head on my arm. Of course, I made it fall asleep then. Fast forward to today's run - it started tingling and is still tingling over an hour later. Of course I'm a little hypochondriac with congenital heart defects running so strong in my family (aortic, to be specific). I figure if there was something wrong with my heart, I would have found it before now. Do any of you experience arm/finger tingling during your runs and does it last?

4 miles today. smile.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#555 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM

RR: 16 minute HIIT work out today which is more than I've done all month I think.  Was super busy then real sick, now ready to get fit again.  Feeling fat.  Must find running plan for the Mini. 

Yesterday moved heavy furntiture and "wow'd" my in-laws which was a good boost.  :) 

Trying to keep up. 

#556 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

lol.gif I like to watch the TM for when all the numbers match.

JG, have you done that trail marathon? I wonder how treacherous it was this year due to ice and snow though this is unusual so early in the season. I want a fast marathon in the early spring that I am trained for butmy base isn;t quite where it should be. I am fired up but not ready. The localish marathons I know of seem late weather-wise to me. I never did acclimate to the heat last summer and it shows in my miles for the year. clap.gif for the spin class, I know that feeling you describe

drjen, there are a few dingos in that area of WI...

MM, after a tough run I have pain in my right shoulder; it can be bad enough that I can't sleep on that side and have trouble lifting a baby but no numbness.

RM, it is good to see you here wave.gif

I have 3.34 miles left to goal. I planned to run tomorrow but it looks like TM, we are getting rain? I hope it clears the sidewalks enough to use them soon.

Today was basketball, piano and swimming but we found time to have friends over (and run wink1.gif).

#557 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM

MM do your shoulders roll forward when you run ? if so if might  be a compressed nerve Ive had that happen

#558 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 PM

I had my third run this week today!!  biggrinbounce.gif    On to week 3 of the 8 week program.    I am so happy to be running again!  joy.gif

#559 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM

duh.gif I really should have been able to figure out the 50k thing based on 5k. Doh!

31 miles...hmmm...something to think about I guess. The idea of it is quite overwhelming really but then again, once you're running 26....  I guess I should wait and see how next week goes! Haha

So we're making a 'parsha' cake this week. Parsha is what we call the portion of the Torah we read each week in synagogue on Shabbat. It goes in order through the 5 Books of Moses. This week is the portion which covers the Exodus and Ten Plagues. We're making a 10 Plagues cake. Bought stuff to make 'sandy' frosting, several sizes of cake pans for pyramids, and candy frogs/bugs. Plus red frosting gel for 'blood'. Should be interesting. I'm not artistic so I'm mainly in charge of the actual cake and assembly. Dd1 who is artistic is in charge of decorations with her siblings as sous-chefs.

I'll post a pic on facebook. I have time this week (vacation) so for the first time in a while I'm going all out on our Friday night meal and doing homemade chicken soup with matza balls, then chicken pot pie (with the meat from the chicken which will make the soup), challah, etc. and the cake. My kids are pretty psyched, I think dh is too. lol.gif Since starting this job we mainly eat easy foods because I can't deal with starting to cook when we get home. I have tried the cook-on-sunday-and-freeze thing but somehow I haven't pulled that act together more than once.

Hoping to run with my club tomorrow a.m. We'll see if dh can go in a half hour later to work or not.

#560 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 PM

does anyone go biking with there infants/toddlers I friend offered to go in on a seat or something with me and I'm looking around there are so many options any suggestions ?

#561 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 PM

I probably do roll my shoulders, kinda hard not to when you have breasts like mine Sheepish.gif As it is, I wear my bra, a sports bra on top of that, sometimes a tight fitting tank top, then my shirt. redface.gif I'm usually consciously focusing on relaxing my shoulders, maybe I'm doing it wrong? I've always had a lot of upper back pain, mostly due to the breasts, I think. Now that I'm done having babies (I think), time to get them reduced perhaps? smile.gif

I've got this cat outside on my porch now. I think it's one of my neighbor's. He keeps howling so I put out some food and water since it's so cold and any water is certainly frozen outdoors. He inhaled two fistfuls of food and now he's still howling at my door. I've offered to let him in, but he's weary of all the commotion in my house and I can't stand there with the door open while he keeps running in and out it cold.gif So, he keeps howling outside my door. irked.gif

#562 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 PM

WAAAHHHHH you guys I just downloaded my waiver from Disney and I'm in the LAST WAVE. Bib number 8453. It means I don't start until a full half hour after the first wave starts, I'll be standing around shivering from 4-6 freakin' am in the corral!

Plus I will be way in the back. BBM are you in my wave? How the heck can we even begin to arrange meeting up? Oh this is causing me a massive anxiety attack. Am I going to be in the way back with the walkers? How in the world did I get in this corral, I signed up with a confirmed time!

Ugh ugh ugh.

I did go to salvation army today and buy some mangy old sweats to wear to keep warm and toss.

I probably shouldn't waste energy being aggravated but I am anyway.

#563 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no, Nic!  Well, at least you can pass lots of people.....  and good idea with the sweats from the Salvation Army.  I'd be bummed too though.

mommajb ~ I've never run the Tecumseh, but have always wanted to.  It snowed for it this year, and I think was about 9 degrees at the start.

MM ~ poor kitty cat.gif maybe you could put a mangy old blanket on the porch for him to curl up on!

Mamas, I am at my wits end with DD2.  She is SO fussy and difficult and complains about everything.  Today, while I was showering, she came into the bathroom no fewer than 7 times to tell me about all the perceived slights her siblings were inflicting on her.  "They left me alone in the kitchen!", "Kay took my blanket!", "Jacob won't let me play the game!", and my favorite, "I didn't get enough presents for Christmas ~ Jacob and Kay got MORE!" (no, they each got the exact same numbereyesroll.gif).  Oh. My. Goodness.  Nothing is ever right enough, or good enough, or whatever enough for her happiness.  The other two are not like this.  She's just making herself miserable creating drama that doesn't need to exist.  ARGH!!!!!

#564 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Wow JayGee... I have a DS born on exactly the same day as your DD2! I just saw you went from a C/S to a VBAC to a HBAC! Good for you. How awesome. I had two C/Ss, which always kinda bums me out. BTW, my four year old was the sweetest, most agreeable creature until very recently. He is way kooky now trying to irritate us all for fun. I think it is the age. I keep thinking he will just snap out of it like he snapped into it. :)

#565 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Calm down Nic. You can handle this. Breathe now, then run when the time comes. Use your energy on the course. hug.gif

JayGee, You are not doing a good sales job on that race. lol.gif At least it isn't hot. As to the child issue, eyesroll.gif I wish I had ideas for you. Learning the hard way is, well, it is hard for her and mom both.

#566 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

MM ~ poor kitty cat.gif maybe you could put a mangy old blanket on the porch for him to curl up on!

I totally did that smile.gif And then I've found out that he was my neighbor's cat who had left them with their other neighbor on Sunday. So, I'm wondering if he hadn't eaten since Sunday because he was REALLY hungry. He's inside for now, friendly toward me, but growling at all the other creatures. eyesroll.gif

DD1 is the same age as your DD2 and she does the tattle thing too. It's a little different because she is the oldest, so I'm just like shrug.gif deal with it and don't hurt anybody. Mommy's busy right now. We'll [fill in the blank] later. I figure it's just a cry for attention.

Good luck on race day to all who are going! If you start at the back of the pack, does that really impact your time??

#567 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 PM

mommajb~Flying Pig?

graceie~I have a Chariot bike trailer/jogging stroller and love it. I bought it just before DS turned a year old, but with the infant sling in it, I would be comfortable taking a 6 month old or older in it (on smooth roads/paths). I personally am not comfortable with the seats, but that's just me. I feel like I have enough coordination issues without trying to balance an unwieldy seat on the front/back of my bike. Plus, I ride a road bike and train for triathlons...I can do that with a trailer attached (resistance training!) but not so much with a bike seat.

nic~hug.gif You may be able to change corrals at packet pick-up. And even if you can't, don't stress over it. I was WAY in the back at my last marathon because of all the half-marathoners, and it was fine. 17 minutes to cross the start, I think. Annoying, but I just found some friends to talk with and all was good. orngbiggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post

BTW, my four year old was the sweetest, most agreeable creature until very recently. He is way kooky now trying to irritate us all for fun. I think it is the age. I keep thinking he will just snap out of it like he snapped into it. smile.gif

yeahthat.gif I have quite recently complained about my darling DS in this very forum. He's taken to being completely incapable of doing anything by himself. Including walking five feet away to get his shoes. Or washing his hands after going potty. Seriously. Yesterday, he insisted I go in the bathroom with him while he was going potty. It's the very small upstairs bathroom at my parents' house, so I sat on the edge of the tub while he did his business. And then he had a meltdown because he wanted me to stand RIGHTNEXT to him while he washed his hands. I was all of four feet away from him. rolleyes.gif At the rate four is going, I can't wait until he turns five!!!

I got out for my run this morning, but didn't get up early enough to make it a bit longer (stoopid Pirates of the Caribbean on TV last night bag.gif). So I reversed my loop in an attempt to defeat the evil headwind that's been plaguing me out on the county road on my way back into town. Well, guess what? The evil headwind was on to me and switched directions this morning! irked.giflol.gif

My pedicure was nice, if not fabulous. It was free, and she did a decent job, so I can't complain! And my purple toenail is now disguised by a lovely purplish nail polish!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#568 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks you guys. I am calmer. A bit p-o'd, but calmer. Why bother asking people for confirmed race finish times if you're not going to place them in an appropriate corral? I mean, is a projected 4:45 ish time really the slowest corral?! At Disney?

Sorry. Being whiny.

Anyway, my ds who is now 5 is MUCH more agreeable in the last few months than when he was in the throes of 4. The last couple weeks not so much and I don't know why but even this regression isn't nearly as bad as the 4-year-old drama. It does get better.

JayGee could your dd also be having moving-adjustment issues?

Think I'm going to live large tomorrow and sleep in til 7 or so and run later in the day. Woot.

#569 of 597 Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM

JayGee--we've started talking about making mountains out of molehills. We've talked about it enough that I can just say "mountains out of molehills, my friend" and sometimes she'll calm down. I've also been known to issue a complaint limit for the day, and enforce it strictly with "you've reached your limit and I can't hear you." lol.gif Though I bet Nick's right and a lot of this is tied to the move and all the other stuff that went with it.

Nick--that stinks, though hopefully passing tons of people will make up for it.

Gracie--I've used a Burley Solo for riding. If you're planning on more kids, get a double. I figured by the time we had another, my oldest would be too big for the trailer. My 9-month-old hasn't been in the trailer yet, but if the weather gets nice I might take her out on some really smooth trails. I'd ridden with DD1 in the bike trailer when she was 8 months.

Tights question: I'm debating between a pair of Brooks Utopia Thermal tights and a pair of Under Armour ColdGear Evo tights. Any experiences? I want the warmest one, if there is such a thing.

Did 2x1600 on the middle school track near my house after dinner, 5 miles total. I decided it was better to do speedwork too close after dinner in the dark rather than do speedwork in snow and cold (or on the dreadmill) tomorrow. Plus, I've never run on that track due to a sign posted about getting permission to use the field and figured no one would be around to tell me I couldn't at 8 pm during winter break. whistling.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#570 of 597 Old 12-30-2010, 05:14 AM

Hi Dingos! I missed you! Tried checking in from NM but the puter was so slow, there was no way I could do it without being a really, really rude guest. I missed something like 150 posts, and there is no way I can catch up but I read enough to know BBM IS GOING TO GET GOOFY! And NICK IS GOING TO PASS EVERYONE! Hooray!

And, drjen, when you come up to interview, tell me. I am here, reb is here and we apparently need outside intervention to get together...JenLove is a couple hours up the road...and I do know a few local docs and would be happy to share what I know about the community and such. Most important, it would just be nice to visit.

NM was holy gorgeous, but no running. I struggled with altitude most of the time, even had an acute enjoyment of it, but what skies and views, fresh air smelling like sage and cedar, crackling fires at night, and just total relaxation. I realized just one day back that I was frowning and my stomach hurt, so obviously I have to make some changes. Dh put in new kitchen flooring and put a little deck on the back door while I was gone, but apparently forgot how to work the vacuum and broom. The house is gross, I have work and dd has a bday party today. But if this is back to normal, I am not going to last long.

The Gulf is looking more like a reality. Gulp. There will be some weird maneuvers to make it happen without dh's managers blocking the move, and then we'll have to figure out how to deal with the farm (probably sell) and blah blah blah. I will likely not look for work there right away if we go (duh, right?). It will be enough to help everyone through the transition for a good while. And as of now I have no idea what sort of timeline we are on. I mean, looking at selling the farm and probably nearly all of our belongings...it's a lot to figure out.

So. Next week is back to normal-ish, so we are going to try to enjoy what's left of break. New Year's is also dh's fake birthday, so I suppose we will do something nice for him. I brought him bordello chips as a gift from Santa Fe, but he might like to do something besides cash them in. Or not. winky.gif

Tags
Running L Productions , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page