Dingos Dashing Through the Snow ~ December Running Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gaye - I'd also go over the story before you go.  I remember seeing it as a surprise as a kid and I didn't understand anything and got really bored because I also wasn't waiting to see what the next scene would look like.  I think Toy Story 3 with all of the talking is much simpler to get in the moment but ballet, notsomuch.  That said I think with some prep you'll have a great time. 

ST - Good luck with the math!  I'd be in the same boat, I only had to take Math-for-Artists as a last req for graduation in college and although I passed easily, all that solving for x y and z stuff seems so far away and long long ago.

Jo!  Nice work!  And I have to admit to emitting a loud and probably ugly PAH! at the idea of your mom taking it in stride, the memory of my mom sobbing when she heard that I'd chosen hanging out with my boyfriend over going to Easter mass at 16 playing in the back of my mind.  I do hope she doesn't do anything silly.  And of course, we don't really have the same mom.

That Stone Soup sounds great!  I'm going to check it out.

Nic - Hope you're out there having a lovely run, or more likely home, having a lovely post 20 anything-you-want. :)

So, I still haven't figured out the non-graphic smiley technique, anyone?

We have a sunny day here for the first time in weeks so I'm going to try to keep us outside as much as possible.  Have a beautiful day Dingos!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM

Whoever DDDDC'd me: flowersforyou.gif

No run today. Was up and on the road at 7 to pick up dd from a sleepover 45min away, then straight back in time for swim lessons, now a few chores, and this afternoon I get to go to a Pampered Chef party with my sister.

Sparkle, I emailed you dates and approximate location. I hope we can hook up. Looks like NM has fantastic running weather, too!

#63 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Huh. Well I thought I'd posted from my Blackberry but apparently it didn't post.

So ... I RAN 19.5 MILES!!!! And lived to tell the tale. I tripped and fell (what I lack in grace, I apparently make up for in humor) eyesroll.gif and although I was totally fine, at that point I was just done. Last .5 mile be darned. I'm sure I could have done it. Heh. I have no clue my 'real' time because I messed up the garmin when I fell, and I had been mainly paying attention to the mileage and pace and not to total time. I think it was like 3:40 or so and change.

I really felt quite fine the whole way. I finally got to run with my new track club buddies so the first 12 miles were with friends (new ones!) and they really sped by. It seemed so effortless. Odd. Then the last 7.5 I did on my own, which was lonely and boring but since I knew I was on the latter half of the run, it was okay. Plus I managed to get myself a bit lost so I was occupied trying to figure out how to find the 'breadcrumbs' take-you-back-the-way-you-came thingamajig on the Garmin (never did figure it out). I like this route because there are places you can stop and use the bathroom, and/or buy drinks and snacks along the way. Next time I can probably lose the huge fuelbelt and just carry the spibelt with gu and keys, money, etc. We'll see.

Anyway, stopped on the way home and ate something, came home, took a shower, lied down on the bed for a 'minute' and it is now 1.5 hours later! lol.gif I'm still tired and could sleep the day away if I was 'allowed' however mommy duty calls....

I am now feeling more confident about the marathon...

loftmama likes this.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#64 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM

nic - clap.gifjoy.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#65 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Great job, Nic!!!!  You are a marathon force to be reckoned with!!!

It's snowing like crazy outside.  We have at least 4 inches on the ground already and more falling.  The kids are all antsy to go outside, but DH wanted to nap first eyesroll.gif.  And DD1 is heartbroken because her best friend was supposed to spend the night and cancelled at the last minute because "she didn't feel like it".  Gee... thanks.  This was supposed to be their big, farewell sleepover before we move away too.  I'm not sure her friend grasps the fact that Kay won't BE HERE anymore after the 17th.

Wish I still had my cross-country skis from college.  It would be a perfect activity today.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#66 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Nice job, nic! clap.gif

One more pharm test is in the books...although it was not nearly as easy as it was alleged to be. I did ok, though, so I'm not going to complain *too* much. orngtongue.gif One more test next week, and then a take-home and it's done, hooray!

I was chatting with a friend on FB last night and she offered to set me up with a guy she knows...single dad of a 2 year old DD, engineer, supposedly cute. Why do I panic as soon as someone brings something like this up?! I did end up telling her that I was kind of interested, just a little freaked out at the idea, so we'll see, I guess. bag.gif
`
Thanks for the Nutcracker advice...I think we're going to take the light rail, so maybe I'll see if I can find something we can take on the light rail with us. I really want him to enjoy it, which I think he'll love the spectacle, if nothing else, but I think knowing the story would definitely help!

I forced myself out the door for a run when I got home from class. I really, really did not want to go. And you know what? It felt SO GOOD!!! So glad I got out there! Just a quick 4.5 miles. I'm running with a good friend in the morning and I haven't seen her in forever, so I'm really looking forward to that. Except for the part where she's an early bird and is making me go earlier than I would have if I was going with the trail running group. winky.gif

Time to get baking and jump in the shower...we're having an end-of-season party for my group of triathlon friends. Where I will feel like a total amateur next to Sonja and Michelle, Kona qualifiers. orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#67 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Nic - clap.gif

JayGee - I'm jealous. Our weather is 60+ one day, under 40 the next, mother nature can't seem to make up her mind.

tjsmama - I would definately bring binoculars, even if you don't think you'll need them, it might up the entertainment value for him if he gets bored. I remember doing that once when I was realllly young.

Spent my entire day building and sorting bikes for our bike society's donation to Salvation Army, I'm exhausted, but it was so much fun! It's not that I really talked much to the other people (tho there were a few people I ride with that I spent some time around) I just really enjoyed such a great cause and threw myself into it. I love having projects orngtongue.gif

Another odd question from me: After being on my feet all day today both of my large toes (on the nail to be specific) are hurting, alot. This was the most I've been on my feet since the half mary two weeks ago. Do you think it's related to that or ?? I haven't really done much physical activity since then, so I don't know what else it would be.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#68 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM
bec

Nic - WOOT!!!!! Way to go on the run, mama!  And, that's what I figured about my makeshift menorah.  My MIL was quite impressed, and that is what really matters.  I think she really appreciated me making this work for her and the kids more than anything.  I don't know what the holidays are really about, other than appreciating friends and family, celebrating traditions, and being thankful for the things we have, and helping those that don't. 

Speaking of which, it was mostly a rest day today.  I had planned 4 miles, but the snow and DH's work schedule threw me for a loop.  Yak-Trax alter my stride just a little bit, and I was nervous dealing with that and 1st snow drivers.  So, I'm going to do it tomorrow.  Instead, I spent the day with my dear friend and her kids.  It was her oldest's birthday, so we had a great day.  Did a little snow shoveling, and just had a relaxing day with a friend. 

Kids' birthday party tomorrow, so I am hoping it goes well.  It should do.  It's going to be relaxed and laid back, with a few stations the kids can work around.  Origami, tattoos, face painting, and cupcake frosting. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#69 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Hello!

I've been absent from the boards lately; life has gotten in the way of my internet surfing.  Right now I have a bit of free time when I should be painting the basement, so I thought I'd check in.

Still no running to report; I plan on hitting the roads again on Monday.  Hopefully the last vestiges of my cold will have cleared up before then.

Around here we are also so excited about The Nutcracker coming up tomorrow.  I'm just stressed that FIL won't arrive in time to make it to the theater before it starts, but I'm generally time-obsessed so that's not a new thing.  We've been reading this gorgeous pop-up version of the story to get warmed up. Gaye, we went last year to a more local production, and it really helped my kids (who were 3.5 and 5 at the time) to be able to remember "oh, yeah, this is where there's the battle!" etc.  They were more engaged when they had an idea of what it was all about.

Geo--I think it was you who expressed interest in the newest horrifying girls book I was reading--"Cinderella Ate My Daughter."  As you predicted, it's pretty heavy on the problems and light on solutions.  It did help me clarify to DH exactly the problem I have with my 10-year-old niece's Facebook account, though.  I'd been trying to explain my unease, and this book has a whole chapter on Facebook, in which the author observes "....thoughts, photos, tastes, and activities are laid out for immediate approval or rejection by hundreds of people, many of whom are relative strangers.  The self... becomes a brand, something to be marketed to others rather than developed from within.  Instead of intimates with whom you interact for the sake of the exchange, friends become your consumers, an audience for whom you perform."  There are a handful of similar gems of insight, but the solution is the same old thing: keep your kids close, limit their internet time, make sure their values are intrinsic.  Same stuff we're all desperately trying to do, anyway.

loftmama likes this.
#70 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 PM

privateeyes.gif

Reading, following along. Not much to add but love keeping up with you all.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#71 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
bec

La - That is a very insightful thought about Facebook, and really does a good job of articulating my unease about such social networking sites!

#72 of 597 Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 PM

Just skimmed the end of the November thread and this one... I know I've missed a lot and I don't see my participation increasing anytime soon, but I really miss y'all and wanted to stay connected even if just a little bit.

JayGee, I hope everything turns out to be OK.  Thinking of you, mama.  Glad your dad came through his surgery all right.

I am in a mood and really dreading tomorrow (today) which I guess is why I'm still up at this ridiculous hour... will spare you an update until I am in a bit better frame of mind.  Thank you for all the good thoughts that you have been sending my way.  xoxo

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#73 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thinking of you a lot lately, eksmom.  :grouphug:

Thanks for the summary LaLa.  It's consistent with the other things I've read.  I've been doing some more reading on a related topic this week on stereotype threat because of an article in Science.  Subtle cues can have a huge effect on girls in science and math for the positive or negative.  (There are also effects on different ethnic groups in everything ranging from academic to athletic performance.)  It's amazing stuff, and I'm wondering if there's a role there for slightly different parenting.

K spent much of yesterday on the couch asleep.  She does sick well.  She parked herself on the couch for the day and slept.  After 8 hours, she had a fever, all of which was gone 12 hours later, recovery signaled by criticizing E's Monopoly strategy.  The bits on consciousness in between all the sleep were filled with watching Fiddler on the Roof and questions.  We covered Judaism, Judaism in the movie vs Judaism DD sees at school, pogroms, the vilification of minority groups, Communism, why traditions are hard to change, and Isaac Stern.  I remember thinking that Nic would be proud :wink.  As would my 12th grade Russian history teacher.

I totally screwed up on my group run yesterday, and ended up missing everyone by about 2 minutes.  It was too long for me to ever catch them, I could just see their flash of light going around the far corner.  I tried to cut em off at a turn, but didn't find them.  I got 5.5 miles in on my own, ultimately a peaceful, if frustrating run.  Trying again this morning, then I'm starting winter yoga with C at 10.  Guests coming at 4.  At some point I need to go grocery shopping and finish writing a final exam.

#74 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Hi, Dingos!  I am so behind, I haven't even caught up on the November thread!

Geo- your soap was sent.  I hope it gets there soon, and I'm sorry I didn't see the order right away! :)  

My internet is still spotty, I don't have much time and typing on the ipod is enough to make a person homicidal. 

Work is going great except for my knee is hurting really bad now.  On my days off, it isn't bad and I can keep it reasonable with lots of stretching on the days I work shorter shifts.  But yesterday I worked a full 8 hours and I am in so much pain, I had to call in today.  So..  What else can I do?  I plan on seeing if I need a referral for PT and figure that stuff out, but in the mean time..?

I have been doing stretches where I lay on my back and put my leg straight up, then to the side (I can't think of a name for it) and also pulling my knee to my chest while sitting up, as well as just touch-your-toes stretches.    

My knee hurts on the outside and the top/side of the knee all the way up to my hip.  It aches and also it hurts a lot when I try to crouch down, to where I can't bend my knee all the way.   It feels better on my days off, but still a little achy.  I am just walking at work, but a lot.  I would say 5+ miles a night, easily.  I don't get Garmin reception in the warehouse (but I've tried).. :)  

Any ideas as to what else I can be doing?  I bought a foam roller, but I'm having a hard time using it effectively, I think.  Tips?

I hope I can check in again tonight or tomorrow.

#75 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM
bec

RR: 4 miles done at the gym.  It is really chilly, and there are ice spots all over the place, so I went to the gym.  To break up the tedium, I did 1 mile on the indoor track, 1 on the mill, repeat.  It worked pretty well, and I had a relatively fast and not horrifically boring run.

Now, to get ready for birthday party madness!

Eks - I'm glad you checked in.  You and your kids have been on my mind lots.  hug.gif

#76 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM

eks~hug.gif Thinking of you.

nemesis~Really sounds like IT Band. Foam roller, foam roller, foam roller. You can also do some self-massage on it, and lots of ice. I found this video that's pretty good to show you what you need to do, although the guy's shorts concern me a little. orngbiggrin.gif The first one that he shows is the one you should really work on. Warning: it's gonna hurt. Probably bad. You may tear up. I definitely did the first time my PT did it. It'll get a little better every time you do it, though.

Fun, fun party with the tri group last night. Lots of laughs. And I wasn't even the slowest one there. :P And then I had a great trail run this morning with my good friend who I haven't seen in two months. We got to get caught up on all the latest news and get a workout at the same time, what more can you ask for?! This was the same run I did about a month ago that I forgot my inhaler and was dying...turns out the inhaler makes a world of difference! I was still dying, just in a completely different way, without wheezing and coughing. redface.gif

And now, just waiting for DS to get home so we can head off to the Nutcracker! I'm going to try to go over the story with him on the light rail. I wish I had some binoculars, since we are in the nosebleed seats, but maybe I'll get some there if they won't cost me an arm and a leg. And I just found out that a friend and her DD are going to the same performance, so we'll get to see them, which will be fun. And then I get to come home and take a test, finish a care plan, and do some research. Good times!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#77 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Dragging myself off the couch to go run. (I did 4.5 hours of church today, people. Man. And have dh's work party at 6, so I'm going to rock those running shoes while I can...)

loftmama likes this.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#78 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Back from our last afternoon at the climbing gym here greensad.gif.  The kids had a blast though and we got lots of good pictures of them climbing.  John headed back to Illinois and now we're having a mellow evening before the craziness that is this week begins.  Note to anyone out there considering moving just before Christmas... don't.  Not only do I have all the moving stuff to contend with, but also gift buying, class parties, and a preschool sing-a-long at the mall eyesroll.gif.  Throw in a breast biopsy, a haircut/color, and gymnastics show week and you've got the picture. 

eksmom ~ so good to hear from you.  You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Gotta run.  The kids have decided to clean their shoes in preparation for St. Nicholas Day tomorrow!

#79 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
bec

Hang in there, JG!

#80 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Hello!  I'd like to join your thread. I'm in Brazil so no snow to deal with.  I'm interested in transitioning from regular running shoes to barefoot.  I have a question for those who are more experienced.  I used to run barefoot style but with regular shoes and found that it really stressed my posterior tibial tendon.  I have extremely high arches (ex-ballet dancer).  Could this have been from using a regular running shoe to try to accomplish barefoot running?  

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#81 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Welcome tutu! No ideas on the barefoot thing, but others here have done it.

Eksmom--goodvibes.gif. I've been thinking about you.

tjsmama--how did the Nutcracker go?

JayGee--I'm pretty sure I'd never do that willingly, especially with all the December birthdays in our family, but thanks for the advice. orngtongue.gif I hope your week goes as smoothly as is possible under the circumstances.

Penelope--did you run?

bec--hope the party went well. We're next. R's kid party will be Saturday and her family party will be Sunday.

I got out for 8 today. It was supposed to be 37 but it was overcast and felt a lot cooler when I was out there. At least it wasn't windy, just chilly. At any rate it's done--like the chocolate-chip pumpkin muffins I just pulled out of the oven. eat.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#82 of 597 Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 PM

tutu~wave.gif No idea here, either, but we do have some barefoot runners lurking somewhere...

real~Seriously! It was (unexpectedly) COLD today. cold.gif My run wasn't too bad, but we kind of froze taking the light rail downtown!

The Nutcracker went well. Our seats weren't bad, and for as far up as we were, we could still see pretty well. DS was pretty entranced for the first act. Until about two minutes before intermission when he had to go potty RIGHT NOW. rolleyes.gif On the bright side, we got to the bathroom in time to beat the rush! He got a little antsy during the second half, but I could tell he was tired. He said he liked it, which since my kid isn't one to really gush over things, is a pretty good sign that he did, in fact like it. orngtongue.gif I decided to take him out for dinner afterward, since neither one of us had really eaten lunch, and I realized I had a $25 Applebees gift card in my purse. Wouldn't have been my first choice for dinner, but it was good, and DS ate a ridiculous amount of food. He was getting pretty loopy and out of control by the end of dinner, but it was really just a nice afternoon/evening with my number one little guy. Man, I love.gif that kid.

And now, it is 12:47 and I am still up, even though I was determined to get to bed early tonight. Sigh. Oh well. I did finally finish up my last care plan, so I can drop that off at the hospital tomorrow (along with a thank you card and gift for our instructor). I have one more big paper to write (group project, blech), one teeny paper to write, one normal test, and one GIGANTIC test. And that's it! I should really start studying for that gigantic test...

Okey dokey, bedtime!

#83 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 AM

hey eksmom, thinking of you.  hug2.gif thanks for checking in.

jg, also thinking of all that you have going on.  is there anything at all on that list  you can contract out?  cleaning?  drop all laundry at a laundry mat and let them wash/dry/fold? do you have a place that sells prepared dinners so you can buy a few days worth of frozen and just pop them in the oven?  I just worry about the stress taking it's toll on you.

nemesis, the mobile option is being worked on.  homicidal is right!  really! couldn't they have waited till after the holidays?  the sweet place that mdc is couldn't have it more wrong with their mobile uploads.  crossing my fingers they get it figured out soon! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

Hello!  I'd like to join your thread. I'm in Brazil so no snow to deal with.  I'm interested in transitioning from regular running shoes to barefoot.  I have a question for those who are more experienced.  I used to run barefoot style but with regular shoes and found that it really stressed my posterior tibial tendon.  I have extremely high arches (ex-ballet dancer).  Could this have been from using a regular running shoe to try to accomplish barefoot running?  

Hi Tutu, I've been experimenting with barefoot running myself.  I actually began a year ago Jan. 1st and so I've been running either bf or in Vibram's.  First, I'm not sure what you mean by running bf with regular running shoes.  The first time I ran bf it was on a very soft cow pasture.  I did feel way more of a workout in my upper body, well, all over my body.  It felt like I was getting a more complete workout bf.  I think that's b/c you carry your entire body differently when running bf and you become much lighter on your feet as your core gets stronger.  So there was a lot of aches but not in my arches, mostly in unworked muscles throughout my body.  Anyway, I'm not sure I helped you but maybe another bf runner can chime in.  Welcome! 

Tjsmama, the date with your son sounded so nice. Good luck on the rest of your exams.

Jooj, Congrats on the tickets! How did your mom take it?  Piece of cake, right?

I am back and forth between my in-law's and my parents car-shopping.   Dh is being... um, difficult, about ... everything... car-shopping, gift-buying, d's b-day, scheduling, etc.  I only hope it's the stress of the outflow of money that is causing him to be a jerk, b/c it's driving me craaazzzy!!!  I know I gotta let it go b/c it's just this kind of behavior that makes me wonder why? why? why?  ok, nuff said.

oh and i'm sick.  sore throat and coughing and sniffles caught from sweet niece who came to see us for t'giving very sick.  i love that child and i guess it was worth it, but i'm over the sick thing.  i'm just annoyed by it really.  b/c i may not be able to make it to taekwondo tomorrow and i def can't teach yoga if i can't speak.  kwim?

oh and one more thing.

what was it?

ugh.

um.

wish i hadn't run out of jameson's.

or that it hadn't run out on me.  i found a full-size bottle, unopened, but empty.

hmmm...

OH YES!

Two really cool bicyclists stayed in my tiny little community last week!  She was cute! He was cute! They were from Austin! They want to start a CSA! They are WWOOFERS!  They found our community b/c someone who lives here whom I don't know is trying to start an "intentional community" which they are interested in.  He's actually an Israeli and has only been in the states briefly.  (When I said, "Happy Chanukah" he was clearly caught off-guard. ?)  He knows a ton about Permaculture and was animated that I knew it, too!  She grew up several hours from here but loves the hills, woods, etc of the place.  I hope she facebook friends me soon.  Oh and it turns we lived in the same crunchy part of Austin, practically neighbors. I'm betting we know some of the same people.  Love.  We're going to be friends!   Well, maybe after she finishes bicycling all the way to Florida and somehow makes her way back here.

Oh and I found another friend!  She doesn't know it yet, but we're going to be friends, I'm sure.  She will be real-life friend #3, I think.  She's my age, with 2 super-cute, a little older, homeschooled boys, a pharmacist with a dh in med school.  What I remember is that I liked her belt with the big peace belt buckled and thought it was really out of place.  Then my local health food store owner asked if I knew her yet and told me I would love her, that she shops there a lot and tries to make natural recommendations when appropriate.  Her kids haven't been vaxed.  Honestly, when she walked in, I thought I could've been in Austin.  And literally the week before I spent all day Sunday depressed and in tears b/c I just don't have a way to get a girl-fix when I need one.  So, there! Thank you universe.

Sorry for my post-midnight rambling.  I'm enjoying the wi-fi here waaay too much! I can sleep when I get back on the farm. Right?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#84 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

Hi Tutu, I've been experimenting with barefoot running myself.  I actually began a year ago Jan. 1st and so I've been running either bf or in Vibram's.  First, I'm not sure what you mean by running bf with regular running shoes.  The first time I ran bf it was on a very soft cow pasture.  I did feel way more of a workout in my upper body, well, all over my body.  It felt like I was getting a more complete workout bf.  I think that's b/c you carry your entire body differently when running bf and you become much lighter on your feet as your core gets stronger.  So there was a lot of aches but not in my arches, mostly in unworked muscles throughout my body.  Anyway, I'm not sure I helped you but maybe another bf runner can chime in.  Welcome! 

So when I first started running back in 2006 I immediately started running ball-to-heel.  To me that just felt more natural.  I was a pro ballet dancer many years prior and well aware that landing on the ball of your foot is better than heel.  So initially I started running this way but with regular running shoes.  Then after a few weeks/months I started to develop tendonitis of the posterior tibial tendon so I switched to heel-to-toe running.  Now I still run that way but I'm interested in trying out the other technique again after doing some reading.  I want to get the shoes b/c I run on asphalt so I do need some type of support.  Also, I am very worried with my high arches.  I have strong feet but I don't want to do anything that could compromise my arches since I still dance quite a bit.   Do most the runners here run heel-to-toe? 

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#85 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 AM

<yawn>

RR from yesterday - a kinda dissatisfying 3.5m on the treadmill (I'd meant to run 5 but was not feeling the love...) Am going to make a more intentional plan this week. Went to dh's holiday party last night which was interesting - it was *huge* and we saw virtually nobody he knew. Food was decent and I avoided over-eating or eating junk. A really wide range of attire, from elegent to jeans and sweatshirts. Honestly, I mostly enjoy the people-watching at that kind of thing.

I'm sliding into the week without being really fully prepared for it, but so it goes. It's almost the quagmire of finals and very rapid grade turnaround which I am dreading.

On the upside I bought a new-with-tags jacket, kind of a fancy brand, that I love at the thrift store for $7.99 on Saturday... along with a couple of other work-appropriate things. Now if I could just think about Christmas shopping and maybe send some cards this year...

Lofty, I'm glad you found some buddies!

Gaye, sounds like the ballet was a hit - we're hoping to go to a performance here but I need to buy tickets still.

Eksmom, big hugs. Hang in there.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#86 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Welcome, Tutu!

JayGee, sending you good vibes for an easy week (or at least, as easy as possible).

Eks, thinking of you.

Lofty, I know what you mean about needing to find a girl fix! (and also about dh's lately being jerks. Hmmm.... more on this later possibly). So neat that you have found someone you might be able to connect with. As for the Israeli cyclist being taken aback hearing you wish him happy Chanukah, maybe he was just surprised to hear it in rural Texas? That did not come out well on my part but it might just have been very unexpected for him to meet someone who knew that you should wish an Israeli happy Chanukay, you know?

Okay, dislodging my foot from my mouth now.

Easy 5 mile recovery run this morning, quite chilly out (low 40's) for here but at least no wind, so that makes it a lot better. especially because I cannot find my new beanie. It must have gotten caught in something else in the wash because I know I brought it home on Saturday...

Good Monday everyone!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#87 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 AM

Ummm, this is what happens when you are running around in circles busy...You forget there's a new month, new thread.

But I'm here.  Last week was an odd week 8 - 9.5 - 15.  I don't typically like to only run 3x a week, but life just kinda got in the way so I got the major runs in...but my legs are tired and I'm looking forward to a cut back week (8-5-4-8-10, then next week: 8-5-0-13-23).

#88 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Happy St. Nicholas Day!  The kids were thrilled to find a small gift and chocolate in their shoes this morning.

It's 9 degrees here with a wind chill of -1 so I'm hitting the YMCA after my haircut for a run.  Yay, a run!  No matter where it happens, I'm just thrilled that it's happening!!!!

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I feel like a real Debbie Downer these days.

#89 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 AM

wave.gif

eksmom, thanks for checking in.

Jaygee, one day at a time, one thing at a time. Do not wear your body out any more than you must. Feel free to say no. I went to my parents' this weekend driving up Saturay in all the snow) and she was remembering the Christmas we moved (Dec 17 the movers arrived at the old house). I have to say my memories are fonder than hers. redface.gif

I ran Saturday in the falling snow. There was a couple of inches on the ground and mre falling. I drove to my parents, found them not home, dropped off the kids at the house telling them to shovel and make lunch while I ran. How awesome is that? The first couple of miles were rough going but then I ran into the plow doing the running trails (yes, paved plowed running trails, how awesome is that?) so I did manage over six miles. I must generally over dress. I forgot my coat but needed a run and it was perfect after I warmed up.

Well, my running and lifting is generally fine but I feel like I am failing as a parent. It isn't really when I look at my children but more when I look at my behavior. I don't like how our days are going and everything just feels so hard at home. I must be doing something wrong. Mornings are bad, afterschool is even rougher, bedtime is chaos. Last night I just shut the dor on and let them work it out. bag.gif There must be a better way so that there is more calm and peace if not ease. I don't really know where to start but I would like to feel more in control and be more able to see the big picture or context. Does that make any sense?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#90 of 597 Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 AM

My weekend turned into two rest days, thanks to the buildup to dh's travel and a ridiculously overscheduled weekend for the kids. Dd saw Tangled, ds went to Y night, I went to a Pampered Chef party (it was family; I don't "do" those parties under normal circumstances), dh got the snowblowers ready and finished the entrance (good enough for now). OMG it looks SO much less junky. They put walls around the "hole" where the stairs went into the basement, added a wide door to the top, drywalled where the walls had been made of pressboard, new linoleum flooring, moulding...lots left to finish and clean, but the entrance looks warm and welcoming! (Fiery orange-red walls and warm-colored flooring in a darker pattern to sort-hid dirt.)

OK. So we dropped dh at the airport, then I took the kids for Chinese, got groceries, came home and caught up on work! I'm sort-of caught up! joy.gifOf course, I know there is a pile of hard copies on my desk waiting for edits, but...meh. I have an invite to meet my sister at the track again, which is good for my endurance. So I'm trying to decide how to do the day. Regardless, I know the evening will be spent with ds catching up on reading (he should be reading a couple hours tonight).

bbm sent me a book and I am trying to save it for my vacay...but I think I need it sooner than later, and might jump in tonight while the kids are doing their reading.

lofty, I am taking your example and pulling out a notebook to journal more properly. I had been dragging around a small but gorgeous one...it has some ideas. I have been working on my meditative practice (sparkle! thumb.gif) and am also using flower essences in an effort to totally unblock and get flowing. Hence the most recent crisis re: work and personal ethics, but it's all constructive.

My parents are in SFO until tomorrow evening, so I haven't had a chance to inform them about my trip. I am so over that phase. Not sure why it's not gripping me like it used to, but I'm sure they'll have a great holiday, and if dh wants to take the kids out, he can. But if he doesn't, and they want to lie around and watch movies or hang out with the sheep in the barn, that's cool too. I know where I'd want to be.

Think I am going to try hitting the Y by 9, elliptical as long as I can take it, then lift and floor work, then whirlpool. I can work 12-3 and that's plenty for a Monday. Got a simple supper on deck for the kids, too. I can make this easier on all of us.

Tags
Running L Productions , Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page