Dingos Dashing Through the Snow ~ December Running Mamas Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jaygee~ so happy your biopsy is done and hope the rest of your day goes by without incident and you rest up when done!

RR: was going to today, then had mole removed for biopsy and it's to be kept dry.  I asked if I could work out and she said sure "as long as you keep that area dry" .  Umm....I sweat when i work out then I like to shower so???  anyway, not heartbroken, just glad it's done and wait for results.

I love my TM.  especially in temps as of late (single digits without windchill).  I also love to run outside.  Sorry Geo.  :(

#182 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post

Geo - I feel vaguely guilty for being content on the treadmill, but maybe I should just be grateful it's a viable option for me?  It doesn't bother me much as long as I have good distraction.  I'm running to the series Angel now - having finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2 winters ago, and I'm pretty content.  Are you doing okay so far with grade-change seekers?

Why feel guilty?  Clearly your neurons are made of tougher stuff.

Grade grubbers -- one request for "clarification" and another plea based on "a really bad quarter".  Both conversations were pretty strange, and left me with this sense of disbelief at the errors of optimism.  Geez, tjsmom is kicking rear end in school getting 95-105s on her tests, raising a kid, working, and burning up the track.  These kids couldn't be bothered to memorize the 31 things I told them on day 1 they'd have to memorize.  I even went over a dozen strategies to work on memorization.  I can't spoon feed any more!

#183 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM

stopping in to send jaygee some goodvibes.gif

(wow I really do not like that smilie set up)

Thanks for chiming in everyone on my sweet little man. I am fresh from trying to navigate our insurance website and find someone who is recommended and dizzy.gif ....

The other thing, which I know is coming, is that our first hurdle will be for him to see this as something positive, not "something's wrong with me" or "i'm doing things wrong" I mean....this is why we need some help, ykwim? But the solution will be wrapped up in even more anxiety and I just....well, need help, I guess.

Geo- when are you coming? I work in Berkeley. I'll be in Tahoe 12/26-12/31. Otherwise, I am around but completely nuts with work. Perhaps a drive to the Peninsula would do me some good.

Back to work...and dh is leaving for China again on Saturday. Nice timing, right before the holidays. I'm a stress ball right now. Man, I need some yoga or something! Ah yes, a run. Not sure when, but must get 'er done.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#184 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

JG, :hug  :xfingers for good results

:hug ModMom 

Yoga class :thumb

Made an offer on a car.  :fingersx

Was offered a job teaching sr. Eng.  :headscratch  I love sr. English but I love having my boys at home.  I'm already completely worked up over the dilemma though it's a dilemma I'm thrilled to have. 

Starting a Scrabble playgroup tomorrow (inspired by my obsession with Words with Friends) while all the kiddos play outside, i.e. play airsoft guns, swing from rope swings, climb trees, jump on the trampoline, etc.

Am seriously considering splurging on a TV (32") so that we can all cozy up together to watch the Liberty Kids box set I just bought for ds2's b-day next week.  That's probably ridiculously extravagant but I'm so over watching movies on the computer and I want to enjoy it with them so we can talk about it. 

Splurged on a winter's worth of AudioBooks in hopes of knitting by the fire in the evenings with feet propped up, envisioning happy kids sprawled and doodling while listening.  We'll see how it really plays out... (Me: IF you don't wash your dishes NOW, you don't get to...  or ME: I SAID be quiet and LISTEN!)  :rolleyes

Am going for a run in this fabulous sunny 40 weather.  Love it.

ETA: Where are the smilies?  Do they all have different spellings now or can you not type them?  Sniff, I *miss* the old MDC.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#185 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#186 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM

JayGee, you must be feeling the love! I've been remembering you and your family in my prayers, too. Other Dingos too, but I'm concentrating on you this week. goodvibes.gifRM, some for you, too! Here's to clean biopsies!

While I like the TM for what it is for, I think this past year (Y membership) has definitely made a wimp of me in terms of winter running. I'm so cautious about slipping on ice I just can't do it anymore. I have such issues with groin/hip stuff, it is probably better for me to stay on surer surfaces anyway. I have been liking my occasional track runs with my sister, too. I like doing speedwork/intervals on the TM. It keeps me from getting the whackadoodles, and helps me focus during the high (for me) speeds.

And rootz, I meant to mention that for me, "weights" refers primarily to machines. I do some upper body and some ab work, and then squats with 2 12-lb dumbbells. I might like actual weightlifting, but my Y has a sort of weightlifting bunch of folks there when I am there, and it's all banging and dropping super-heavy weights and stuff, and I...just...don't have time to consider how to adjust into the space. It's also a very, um, religious (for lack of a better word, and no offense intended, I promise!) group and , well...yeah. Not my scene.

JenLove, is the fam feeling better? Are you guys under inches already up there? We're getting our first accumulation right now.

Lofty, are you considering the teaching gig? I'm coming around to thinking I might like having my 2 home. Imagining what life would be like without the work crazies complicating everything, of course. I am sure we'd get into a decent groove. When I am together enough to get into my kids' schoolwork with them, the results are really good. Sigh. For now, I should probably focus on better supporting their school education.

So I did an hour on the elliptical. Made the thing say 6.5mi and 900-some calories, and then did my weight reps (no squats because I'm sore from last time). Then 10min whirlpool and 15min in a 190-degree sauna. Picked up some bday gifts on my way home and now the snow is coming down.

I have work on the schedule tomorrow. Not thrilled with that. I hope the snow is done by the time I have to go, but it's not looking like it. Also probably looking at more changes at work. It's been a uhoh3.gif year, hasn't it? Wow.

If the roads are OK and my meeting is done on time, I'll run with my sister tomorrow. Also hoping to work out (bike or erg) after swim lessons tomorrow. So nice to be feeling like myself again.

#187 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
bec

JayGee - Enjoy your house buying!!!  I'm so glad to hear that the biopsy was easier than expected, and that you had an optimistic doctor.

Modmom - No words of advice, but I'm definitely paying attention to the wise women here!  Katie is on the cusp of adolescence.  She's sensitive, quirky, and has a learning style that is difficult to figure out.  All those things seem like red flags for me, and I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Lofty - I'm jealous of your balmy weather!!

Friend situation - She emailed me today, noting my cooler attitude in the last couple of days.  I told her that she had hurt my feelings.  She responded accepting responsibility, and a desire to talk and work through it.  So, for now, that is enough.

FM - strength training today.  Oh, and went with running partner who is side lined.  She has the all clear to do couch to 5k, so we did day one of that together!  Neither one of us had a watch or any way to time ourselves, so we did it on the treadmills, but we were just thrilled to be running together again!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#188 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM

RM, goodvibes.gif that the biopsy is clean. didn't I join you last time in singing the praises of the TM? It has been so long since I ran inside. I ran outside all last winter. Think it was June 2009 that I last used the TM before this week. so TUesday I ran uphill for 6 miles and relatively speedy. It made me sore so I figured it was a good workout and tried to do it again today. I am inside getting all sweaty, Linus is cozy and happy, and I am getting a new workout. It bores me to tears if I don't adjust something every tenth of a mile but It hink it is a good thing for me right now.

Geo, on the postive side the grade grubbers are admitting they din't earn better grades they just had highger hopes. It says something better than threats and name calling. eyesroll.gif

Poppy, my head spins when I think about all the angles to cover in talking to your ds about therapy. hug.gif Hopefully it is a good experience once he gets going and good comes of it. These next years are so formative as far as adult outlook and coping skills. I remember breathing a sigh of relief when everybody had turned three because it meant we were out of the birth to three window and I had messed up what I could (as wrong as that sounds) then these early teen years hit and I discovered the wisdom of treating this emergence like a second toddlerhood. There is just so much growth and it is hard (for the child or the parent) to take it in in real time.

Lofty, everytime you post the love comes through. I hope it comes right back to you. Congrats on the teaching offer; I hope you can intuit or reason through to what will make you happiest this time next year.

Jo, I so admire how you weed through so much noxious stuff and remind yourself to focus on waht you value. Snow, work, kiddos: Get done what you can, run with your sister and dream about AZ.

Bec, I am glad your neighbor noticed and asked. I suppose you do what you do for the child, not her mother and that thought might help during troubled times. I know have a good situation to be home but that doesn't mean it is easy or that I don't miss some of what I could have had.

JG, enjoy your busy weekend. You will see your new home! joy.gif You know we will all be checking in here on Tuesday until you update us.

I am going to have to sort through a bunch of school junk for the older kiddos tonight and 2 others need food stuffs for tomorrow. There is a seafood tasting for the second grade tomorrow and I offered sea vegetable and chocolate seashells. eat.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#189 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

And rootz, I meant to mention that for me, "weights" refers primarily to machines. I do some upper body and some ab work, and then squats with 2 12-lb dumbbells. I might like actual weightlifting, but my Y has a sort of weightlifting bunch of folks there when I am there, and it's all banging and dropping super-heavy weights and stuff, and I...just...don't have time to consider how to adjust into the space. It's also a very, um, religious (for lack of a better word, and no offense intended, I promise!) group and , well...yeah. Not my scene.

Yeah, that's kind of why I'm hesitant to join a gym--I know it can get . . . religious!!  LoL.  I am wondering how awkward it would be . . . I invested in Powerblocks some time ago and I've been doing Chalean Extreme at home but as it got colder, I considered joining the gym (for the treadmill and for the weights so I could do New Rules of Lifting for Women).  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Friend situation - She emailed me today, noting my cooler attitude in the last couple of days.  I told her that she had hurt my feelings.  She responded accepting responsibility, and a desire to talk and work through it.  So, for now, that is enough.

FM - strength training today.  Oh, and went with running partner who is side lined.  She has the all clear to do couch to 5k, so we did day one of that together!  Neither one of us had a watch or any way to time ourselves, so we did it on the treadmills, but we were just thrilled to be running together again!!!

Oooh, good stuff all around.  I'm glad to hear it worked out with your friend.  Good for you for telling her.  A new-ish, may become a friend person annoyed me last week with unsolicited advice that felt like criticism.  I haven't worked up the courage to say anything though.  

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#190 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM

rootzdawta - I have really enjoyed NROLW. I have worked through it before and really appreciate the outlook on lifting. It is very doable for me timewise and I see results. Where I deviate is that I don't always do the HIIT, I don't follow the diet, and when he says "Step away from the treadmill" I took it to mean run long outside. Basically, I like the workouts. I like walking into the gym knowing what I am going to do. I like having a training plan. I like the full body workouts based on functionality and strength not lifting as a form of tweaking my appearance one obscure muscle at a time. (not that I have an opinion or anything) As to the gym, I take attendance and what I have noticed here is that early in the morning women lift and men do cardio. The people that were a bit off putting to me just left to open their own (crossfit) gym so all is good for now. thumb.gif There are a couple of women who do figure competitions but our interests are so far apart that it works.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#191 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Lofty - To be able to write the word that will elicit the picture for emoticons: click on your avatar, go to "edit acct. details, then scroll down to "preferred editor type" and choose BB code editor. The teaching job sounds interesting!

Jppj - joy.gif for feeling like yourself

rootz - on weights. I have done heavier ones in a sort-of circuit (alternating one upper-body and one lower body x 3, switch to another upper body and lower-body, with a total of about 8 types; 4 legs, 4 upper). But then I switched to a faster circuit with a lot more isometrics and plyometrics that cross the midline. This got me very fit. I worked with a trainer one time who taught me the new stuff (after I scoffed at trainers for years).....

Modmom - no advise, but goodvibes.gif to you and your dd

bec - glad for the upturn

Jenlove - fingersx.gif about the house!

Geo - If only you could tell your students what you told us (about Gaye). I had no perspective in college (in hindsight). I thought I was working hard then, with crew practice 2x/day and a full load. Ha! Does anyone else remember thinking how much easier it would be to "just have a job" (no studying). bwa ha ha

FM: I honestly dont know what to do ladies (here we go)..... I have become, if not despondent, than pretty low about the leg. I dont know what else to do about it and what Ive done has left me no where. The most recent visit with the PT didnt help like the first one (he adjusted something again, but with no "ahhh" feeling the next day), Im seeing a body-worker tomorrow, but Ive since realized that I dont need to be worked on b/c there are NO muscles to work on. And yet, I HURTTTTTTTTTT. Its like chinese water torture - Im so sick of the feeling, and the constant reminder "hey, pain, hey, dont move like that, hey...".

The whole back of my leg now feels impacted - the worst being behind the knee where it always has been, but it goes up my leg to my butt, and down to my achilles (which has started hurting a lot!?) I stretch every day for no reason I can see. dizzy.gifsplat.gifhammer.gifgloomy.gif I actually curse runners I see on the street bag.gif

Inhale. Exhale. Ok, so after tomorrow I think I will try to find a chiropractor, because it feels like something structural (cant be a muscular problem since I HAVENT USED them). And I will start exercising again for structural support (yay! more PT exercises. Might as well be 75 already).

I dont know how to be at peace with this, and I know that 's all the control I really have . Dh says "you're not going to be fun to get old with" Yeah, no sh** buddy! smirk.

And ultimately I am so bereft about my SELF. Oh where did you go? I miss you SO!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#192 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

stopping in to send jaygee some goodvibes.gif

(wow I really do not like that smilie set up)

Thanks for chiming in everyone on my sweet little man. I am fresh from trying to navigate our insurance website and find someone who is recommended and dizzy.gif ....

The other thing, which I know is coming, is that our first hurdle will be for him to see this as something positive, not "something's wrong with me" or "i'm doing things wrong" I mean....this is why we need some help, ykwim? But the solution will be wrapped up in even more anxiety and I just....well, need help, I guess.

Geo- when are you coming? I work in Berkeley. I'll be in Tahoe 12/26-12/31. Otherwise, I am around but completely nuts with work. Perhaps a drive to the Peninsula would do me some good.

Back to work...and dh is leaving for China again on Saturday. Nice timing, right before the holidays. I'm a stress ball right now. Man, I need some yoga or something! Ah yes, a run. Not sure when, but must get 'er done.

Poppy ment to comment earlier, I agree with getting him help and some tools now, Good luck with you your search

#193 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM

On a more practical note: Chiros. I have a friend irl who gave me a referral, but there is also a "sports chiro" in town who also does A.R.T. I dont know anything about the latter exceot what he has on his CHEESY website. O.k., its not so much cheesy as slick, and I dont get the right vibe .... which sounds like a silly way to evaluate something, but I literally chose my children's school in DE from the vibe I got from the website, and I luxlove.gif that school. So do I try him anyway ? ....... O.k. I think I know what I will do....

Meanwhile, when I was driving the kids home from school I saw this woman running down the street and I mumbled to dh "that b**** ....... Oh My Gosh, it's T! HEY T! You GO GIRL!" ROTFLMAO.gif

And you will all be happy to know that Daisy is home from her overnight at the vet where she had her lady parts removed and she is recovering as well as can be expected with three kids shaking stuffed toys in her face and screaming at her after being told to "shh, talk quietly, and dont get her excited for a few days" eyesroll.gif
loftmama likes this.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#194 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Jo ~ We are getting our first accumulation tonight too.  Although I hear we are in for a doozy on Saturday!!  V is very excited talking about snowballs and snowmen, so hopefully we get out to play in it tomorrow. :)  Drive safe when you have to go to work.

sparkle ~ {{hugs}}

Lofty ~ Good luck with your decision!  That would not be an easy one to make.  How's teaching yoga going?

I got to look at the house for rent today.  It's near the river on a big lot in a country neighborhood.  Beautiful house (large.. larger than needed so if any Dingos need a place to visit, let me know :)), big garage, and I really like it.  We will be signing a lease in the beginning of the week.  I'm so relieved to have a place lined up.  

I'm really hoping once we get there I can get in a fitness routine again.  It's so on and off again.  

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#195 of 597 Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 PM

sparkle~I am biglaugh.gif at your writing. Not so funny about your continued pain. greensad.gif I truly hope you can find an answer...the chiro is certainly worth a shot. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? You get in there and get the same vibe as you did from the website, so you leave?

geo~redface.gif To be fair, I'm only working sporadically. But thank you, that felt like the hugest compliment ever, and it kind of made my day. love.gif

jaygee~Have a fantastic, crazy weekend and try not to worry about things you can't do anything about at the moment! hug.gif

HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I NEED PEOPLE TO SEND ME ADDRESSES FOR CARDS?! lol.gif

So, bizarre ear pain went away. rolleyes.gif I took some advil, it got better, and I can still feel it a teeny tiny bit, but nowhere near the pain I was in this morning. So now I feel kind of dumb for thinking it was going to be a big deal. orngtongue.gif I had a very nice run with a friend that I don't see nearly often enough. I was wiped out and exhausted, but we got to catch up. I always feel kind of bad that I seem to talk completely about myself when I'm with this friend and I realize when we're saying goodbye that we've barely touched on what's new with HER. bag.gif I even said exactly this to her today...her response? "Your life is so much more interesting than mine." lol.gif That's what I get for living a soap opera, I guess!

Speaking of soap opera...XH picked up DS this afternoon so I could go work some basketball games tonight and make some $$$, only to call like two hours later. Apparently his GF's dad had a heart attack today and is undergoing quadruple bypass surgery with a valve replacement tomorrow. Eek. So, he scrambled to arrange for the nanny to be able to get DS tonight while I was working and to see if she could work on Saturday while I'm in class/working, and he flew out to Cincinnati tonight. Is it totally selfish to be bummed about not getting to go on my Sunday morning trail run now? bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#196 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 AM

Okay - I'm trying to read and there's so much to read, I'm losing stuff!

JayGee - I have been thinking of you too, praying for you and hoping for the best. I'm glad to hear your optimism and will be waiting with anticipation for tuesday.

RM - urgh.  I hope it's a nothing mole.  But you know I'm so right there with you on, 'but can I run?'  When I had the stitches in my hand it was right before a run and of course the first thing out of my mouth when the doc finished (it's like a drjen doc ;), my family dr) is, 'can I run, like right away?'  He laughed at me. 

Jenlove - I got your messages about the mothering's.  I"m cool sending them to you, could you send me your addy again. Also, can I ask for patience on when I can get them to you?  I know I have to go to the post office between now and Christmas, so sometime this month.

Poppy - On kids and seeking counseling - I always put it like, we can never have too many skills and her/his job is to give you more X (be it social, coping, talking, etc. skills).  It's just a place to get it out, think about it, and come up with some ideas. Oh and you get to complain about mom and dad and the therapist will laugh with you instead of fussing at you.

loftmama - could you please move here?  I think I love you and we could have a wonderful, fulfilling and long lasting friendship.  You have the coolest ideas. I want to be your friend. :)

I have to admit I'm floundering.  Dd has been so combative and argumentative, and defiant, and did I mention argumentative?  It's to the point that it's so often I don't even realize she's doing it until I'm already over-frustrated.  Yesterday was awful! We were doing this thing where each mom set up a craft for the kids to do to make for someone in their family.  As I was explaining mine, she starts arguing with me about how to do it to the point that the other kids were hopelessly confused and well, craft fail.  It was embarrassing and frustrating.  And then she did something so completely out of character to her, she was baiting a boy there (who is older than her, but a lot more naive) for the fun of it.  I know that she wasn't thinking beyond herself, she was having fun and it hadn't occurred to her that she was hurting his feelings. But, wow.  Lack of empathy anyone?  For my girl that is typically the champion of the underdog?  :`(.  And the little man, wow, I wish I had a way for him to get his energy out. That's his biggest problem, tons and tons of energy, little house, frigid temperatures.  I'm overextended, over committed, over stimulated, and just generally beyond out of sorts.  I'm a mess of emotion and feel like I can't cope with life's simplest complications.  I'm starting to freak out about disney. I'm trained for it, but every missed run is starting to give me a panic attack.  I've actually gained weight during this training, and not the good kind! I have never really struggled with my weight before and this is really bothersome to me.  I need to step back and look at what I'm really eating to see what the problem is, I've just never really had to before...before I could always just up my mileage or cut back on sweets some and it was okay.  Not this go around.  And friends. Lord, what's that.  I feel like the freak in the zoo that everyone is looking at and whispering about.  Crazy is contagious ya know.

#197 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 AM

Oh BBM, HUGS. I can definitely empathize with the frustration over your dd, we've been there. And also on the whole weight/marathon/fatigue thing. I think we are at the point in our training (since we're training for the same one) that it starts to wear us down. Taper is right around the corner and then the adrenaline will carry us through. Plus the fun part about meeting up with other Dingos!

My stomach has been off lately and so I've had to cut some runs short or do half in the morning, half later on. This makes me have panic attacks over missed runs, miles, etc. Here's a song for you to perk you up and remind you that WE CAN DO IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lenkR5XzSJc

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#198 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM

Oh, Sparkle!  grouphug.gif   I agree with seeing the chiro.  What's the worst that can happen?    Is there any exercise you can do?  Yoga? Something with an exercise ball, weights, etc..?  I know it is hard when it isn't the running you want to do, but it might make you feel less despondent!   

Jen- Good luck on the new place!  I hope it works out.  A msg is on its way!

I am going to plan a few lights running attempts for this week.  I have a different work schedule this week, working 5- 5hr shifts instead of 2- 5hrs and 2- 8hrs.  I am hoping it will help me be less exhausted and rushed- feeling.

I bought some cheesy "grade level complete workbook" thing yesterday for both of my girls.  I feel like we are floundering with the choices we've made for DD (8) and DD2 (5yrs) is a little bored with what we're doing- mostly fun stuff for her and letter/number worksheets.   I am hoping it will help bridge the gap to the next year's curriculum choices and keep them busy with not a lot of prep by me.  I can manage a really organized "school day" about two days a week and otherwise I need more help than what I've got.  I am considering online classes for DD next year.  Any experience with those?  I just don't think I can manage everything and I also think school would not be very good for her.  I would love to get involved with a co-op of sorts, if only there was one around.  blahblah.gif

#199 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM

.......Dont everyone talk at once......

ok, so ds is home w/ the flu, I feel like a** (flu-y, but not the real thing), dh is working tonight while dd1 has her school holiday performance, and ds' birthday party extravaganza is tomorrow (his birthday last year bombed, so we've made an extra effort this year ... )

answer; pumping ds full of ibuprofen tonight for the performance (I would rather lay around with a movie bag.gif), and again tomorrow for the party. Poor guy greensad.gif

#200 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Oh, Sparkle, I hope that yucky flu is gone by tomorrow. And that you can find answers about your leg pain! That sucks. I totally understand about giving the runners out there the old stink-eye. irked.gif

BBM hug2.gifAbout the kids? It's not *right* when they do stuff like act mean toward others but they're learning. I am struggling with trying not to make my DD feel ashamed for some of her (bad) choices. Frustrating, for sure.

And... you can totally do that race. And you will rock it, I know.

Nemesis, that's a tough age for HS, I think. Can you borrow some books on CD through your library - something with some educational content? Do you do tv? Because, when I feel like I need a break from the kids, I keep some kids' science/history/art dvds from the library around to throw in. And believe me, the workbook solution is not a bad one, if they like that kind of thing. Or have the older one make herself some flashcards for some subject. Do you guys have a microscope?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#201 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Blech.

No run due to work (though I did get to hug my sister on a chance meeting in a parking lot at lunch hour), and now I have work to do over the weekend, too. We had to go out and get ds new boots (procrastinate much?) tonight, and a new coat for dd (though to be honest, they both must have just hit major growth spurts, really!). So we managed to find what we needed at Shopko, then stop for milk, and then we ate fast food for dinner. Ds and I had veggie burgers and dd had a fish sandwich. By the end of the meal, dd threw up in her mouth, and ds and I both had hiccups. By halfway home, we all felt yucky. So I guess we're done with fast food for another couple months. redface.gif

Snow storm is coming. Dd is scheduled for a bday party, but if it's snowing, I'm calling it in. I am not risking the roads filled with shoppers to take her to the influenza-spiked indoor arcade place in the mall neighborhood. We may just stay home shoveling and blowing snow and talking with the sheep. Temps look like they'll be perfect for building a snowman tomorrow.

Dh sounds on the phone like he has a cold. He has also informed me that he is already tentatively scheduled for 25 weeks of class in 2011. That's already 50% of the year in travel. greensad.gif It's making this potential opportunity abroad look pretty good.

Sparkle, good luck with the bday. I hope he's better without too much intervention, and that he can enjoy the day. My poor dd has her 7th on the 20th and poor thing, I just can't bring myself to plan a "friends" bday party for the girl. I did one, one time, for ds and hated it so much I don't ever want to do it again. My poor kids. We make them cakes and have family parties, but the school friend thing...ugh. My kids aren't that close with their school friends. Should I be trying harder? Their best friends are cousins and family friends (i.e., kids of my friends). I kind of like it this way, but I hate to think I might be making my kids weird.

Also on the maybe list for tomorrow (because a snow storm, for me, makes everything a maybe): swim lessons and a Y workout.

I'm not afraid of driving in it, not afraid of putting the car in the ditch. I am wary of stupid people who drive too fast and hit their brakes too hard, don't watch where they're going, and don't know how to use roundabouts.

So...has anyone made Shanti cookies this year? I bought candy canes one year to make them, and never made them.

#202 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM

um, yeah, way to end a sucky day in the emergency dept.... (ds couldnt breath)

#203 of 597 Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

So...has anyone made Shanti cookies this year? I bought candy canes one year to make them, and never made them.

How did I manage to forget to make them?  Hmmm, wonder if I have all the ingredients.

We have predictions of 2-12 inches of snow for the next 24 hrs. Bring it! Although it would be more fun and warmer if the snow came after tuesday (we're having a wood burning fireplace insert installed to heat our house with wood). The hearth guy came this evening and tile is laid. He's coming back tomorrow to grout it. I feel so much better since I can grout like nobody's business, lay tile: not so much.

loftmama likes this.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#204 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 04:54 AM

kerc, that's going to be like heaven!

sparkle, :( hope little fella's OK.

#205 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Oh, sparkle. greensad.gif My ds had significant problems with asthma from about 2-4 and a. if you want to chat about it I have lots of experience and b. he got better, as many kids do - I'm pursuaded that aggressive treatment to calm inflammation in littles leads to bigger kids being non-asthma sufferers. But Dr. Jen is a better person to ask about the technical stuff than I am! Do you have a nebulizer, or do you need to get one? (They're cheap and *so* useful in the middle of the night...)

RR: I got 4 nice treadmill miles in - it's cold and blowing and windy today, and I have to drive an hour to take students on a field trip, meh. The student who is driving the van o' students just texted me to ask if his girlfriend can wear jeans if she decides to join us - very sweet of him to help ensure her comfort. smile.gif This is my last field trip this semester, and it has been a really good but time-consuming project (two colleagues and I shared 14 field trips).

A former student of mine seems slated to be charged with murder this week - a young woman who is missing at his current college seems to have been last seen with him, his story doesn't add up, etc. I had him in class and remember him vividly - I would not have pegged him as violent or dangerous and am feeling sick about the whole thing - for the woman and her family, I mean. It's such an awful story. greensad.gif My current students, many of whom know him, are really shocked and upset (again, at the fact that this woman seems to have been harmed by someone they know, rather than rallying on his behalf or something.) If you have a moment, please keep her and her family in prayer.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#206 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Oh, Penelope, that's AWFUL. What a terrible situation. Keeping all concerned in prayer and good thoughts.

Sparkle, hug2.gifWe had a few trips to the ER with dd1 and croupe. Very scary and unpleasant, indeed.

Can't remember the personals I wanted to say and can't scroll down and check out the thread either on this darned new format. Boo.

RR: 12 easy pleasant miles with my running club. Love having company for this, it's worth getting up at 4:30 on a Sat. morning. VERY foggy though, I was soaked through by the end. And after the run, soaked through and 50 degrees feels pretty chilled. Brr. Came right home and took a very hot shower.

When did it happen that 12 miles feels so easy and light?! Jeez. I distinctly remember being so embarrassed about having to nap after a 7 mile 'long run.'

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#207 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Oh Penelope - that is so awful for everyone. And thank you about ds. His is a bronchial virus, and it amazes me that this was the norm for you when your little guy was so little!

Party canceled. Glad I baked the cake before everyone woke up rolleyes.gif I cant reeaallly complain about the E.R. .... ds is one of the E.R. docs kids after all. It went like this; got kids fed and ready for dd1's performance (kind of a nightmare for reasons involving the DOG eating HALF the dinner from the kitchen counter as I dried ds from the tub).
The performance space was PACKED and HOT. I ended up sitting in the bleachers so the little ones could see (dumb; should have sat by the door), where I held 5 down jackets and some sweaters while I tried to keep my arm around dd2 who insisted on standing, and tried to take some pictures with my enormous 35mm for dh who couldnt be there. Of course dd2 fell twice, and on one of the falls she landed on the lady behind us, who got her cup of coffee knocked onto our bleacher and the floor below .... where all of our jackets/sweaters now happened to be after slipping out of my grasp b/c of the abpve. Then, of course, dd2 had to pee .... and then poop a separate time = me: climbing through the bleachers packed with people, trying not to fall while holding dd2 and trying to keep dang camera from swinging into anybody. Sigh. I actually started laughing because it was getting so absurd.
We FINALLY make it out of there (Im skipping how hard it was to corral 3 kids in that hot sweaty crowd while carrying above crap), only to get in the car and have ds start hyperventilating and crying. I was like; rolleyes.gif "really? 'cause Im thinking if you stop FREAKING OUT you will be able to breathe" (no, I didnt actually say that). But he is seriously pushing air out and sucking it in. So I call dh when we get home and put the phone up to ds and dh says "bring him in". I ended up staying there with him for an hour, then left him in his room to be brought home with dh 4 hours later so I could get the girls home and to bed before 10p.

He's still sucking air this morning so, no party.

And Im not even tellin' ya'll about the "massage" I got yesterday on my leg (the short version is that I feel like I got rolled over by a truck) redface.gif The jury is still out .... and the arnica is in in in, and on.....

#208 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Finally getting over my fear of the new format to find the December thread.  Now to read it.....

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#209 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Memiles, we are tattoo avatar sisters. orngtongue.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#210 of 597 Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
bec

Penelope - How awful about your student.  So disturbing to have our initial impressions of a person so obviously wrong.

Nic - That was the thing about marathon training that amazed me, too.  My perspective of "long" got totally out of whack!  Although I loved being in "half marathon shape".  As in, I could see a half and just sign up for it with no special training.  Kind of like I sign up for a 5k these days!

Speaking of... I just finished my 3rd week of training with a 3 mile cold and rainy run with two women!  It was so nice to be out with other people! 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Tags
Running L Productions , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page