Decluttering/Simplicity & Weight Loss - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been struggling to lose weight for years, and I've wrestled with Weight Watchers off and on for the past two years.  This year, I lost 30 pounds over the spring/summer, but got into a rut this fall and have gained 10 back.

I'm finding myself "back on the wagon" lately as far as trying to shed the pounds & eat less/better, but I'm also finding a real zeal for simplicity lately.  I don't want as much _stuff_ in my life, and over the past month, I've donated probably 20 bags to our thrift store.  I've cleaned out an entire 6' bookshelf of books I know I'll never read again.  I've given away all clothes that don't fit on a hanger in my closet/on our basement rack --- no more rubbermaids full of clothes from eight years ago.  I don't need 60 cookbooks -- I gave away 20 that were never opened.  I've cleaned out our linen closet, our bathroom closet, and my basement "pantry shelf" of things that we don't actually need (electric juicer, anyone?).

I'm finding that I'm feeling rather strongly about paring down the stuff in my house right now, at the same time I'm feeling rather concerted about losing this weight and gaining strength once and for all.

I joined a "boot camp" program this week, and I've been logging food, etc., but I'm finding this need for "less" in all areas of my life.

Has anyone else experienced this?

yummus likes this.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#2 of 3 Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Congrats on your weight loss and getting back on the wagon. Getting rid of clutter always helps me clear my head about weight loss and any other issues I've having. I can't "think well" if there is crap around and I'm able to get more down too. DH thinks it's funny. He knows I have somethnig on my mind when I go through a "we need to get rid of this stuff" stage. LOL

#3 of 3 Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Yes! These things seem to go hand in hand. Peter Walsh, the organizer guy, has a book that talks about this relationship. Don't know if you have seen it. look him up on amazon and see if you can find it if you haven't!

Good luck!

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page