December Weight Watchers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone!

Just thought I'd go ahead and start the new thread for December.

My history:

I was on ww after the birth of my second son. I lost 80 pounds and was really happy with where I was at physically, but more importantly, mentally. Then I accidently got pregnant again. I had my baby girl in August and started up ww again in Sept. I put on more with the pregnancy than I would have liked and it has been very frustrating. Weight loss has been slower this time. I know it is part motivation and I think part being older now (30!!). So, anyway, I am officially starting the NEW Points Plus plan today and hoping I can kick my butt into gear. I know it is the holidays so I will try not to beat myself up too much. I would like to make it through without gaining although making it through and losing would be ideal.

#2 of 40 Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add that it seems not many people come to this thread, but I know in the past we had a lot of posters. So, even if you are lurking, you should post. The support is so good for everyone.

#3 of 40 Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the new points plan.  I wished that they gave me the option to stick with the old plan but I'm trying to get with the change.  I lost all the weight using the old plan, carefully planning how I'd fit in bananas (my favorite food which were previously 1.5 point) and other fruit.  I don't know . . . if they had warned me at least I could have written down my recipes and the WW points.  So I'm a bit peeved.  :)

sweet.p likes this.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 40 Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post

I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the new points plan.  I wished that they gave me the option to stick with the old plan but I'm trying to get with the change.  I lost all the weight using the old plan, carefully planning how I'd fit in bananas (my favorite food which were previously 1.5 point) and other fruit.  I don't know . . . if they had warned me at least I could have written down my recipes and the WW points.  So I'm a bit peeved.  :)

I know. I have been a little annoyed too. I have recipes printed out in a binder and a lot of them have the old ww points values written on them. Now those dont matter and I guess I have to re-calculate everything. The change has been a little overwhelming. I know I dont do well with change when it comes to anything, though. I have stayed on target today though. I know I have to just try and get the hang of it. I did put my old books on a shelf instead of tossing them like the leader recommended, I was a little afraid to throw away my past success.

#5 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

A post to praise myself. Stayed within on my points yesterday and down on the scale this am. Even had a snack last night! Hoping for another good day.

#6 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM

^^Good for you!  :)  Enjoy your snack!

You know,  I tend to have a little snack/sweet every day.  Something that's just 2-3 points.  That really helps me not go overboard.  What's your (everyone's) approach to treats?

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#7 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I seem to swing both ways. Sometimes a snack to look forward to keeps me going through the day. Sometimes it becomes the ultimate temptation. I'm just so bad about having a little something and losing focus and having a compulsive eating binge fest. There are just so many things I cant keep in the house because I CAN'T control myself. It sucks. I am just such a classic over eater and emotional eater.

#8 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post

I seem to swing both ways. Sometimes a snack to look forward to keeps me going through the day. Sometimes it becomes the ultimate temptation. I'm just so bad about having a little something and losing focus and having a compulsive eating binge fest. There are just so many things I cant keep in the house because I CAN'T control myself. It sucks. I am just such a classic over eater and emotional eater.

This is me. I bought some Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares telling myself it would be a good size special treat. 2 points. Then I knocked out the bag in 2 days. It seems I just can't buy that stuff.

I started WW about a week and a half ago and it has been quite th learning experience. It's amazing how many things I would put in my mouth that were 3 points or more. It's definitely not the same as counting calories. Part of it is mental as you get precious few points. Part of it is the incorporation of quality of food. There is definitely a penalty for choosing food like pizza. So far I have lost 3.6 lbs.

#9 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

3.6! Great job! It is surprising when you see how many bites of food here and there can add up. I am also really bad about tasting while cooking. I just want to check the taste for seasoning, but several bites can really make a difference. I bought one of those chocolate bars too, doesn't last.

#10 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Hi!

Quick history on me: did WW freshman year in college, lost 75lbs, went from 210 to 135. Kept it off for the most part for 3 years and then gained about 25 right after college (when I moved in with my future DH), before I even got a chance to lose it surprise- pregnant! Ended up after birth at 190 jaw.gif. Joined WW again, lost 40lbs but then was in the middle of a move, house sale and purchase etc so stopped and have been unable to drop that last 15 for the past year. I keep failing to follow through on the plan, getting inspired to bake, eating my daughter's leftovers etc etc etc. I have gone on and off for a year now but I am ready to go now. It's funny I have always found that I am one of those people that have ZERO willpower for a long time and then make up my mind and just do it. So yesterday I got fed up and today I am starting it. I weighed in at 153.8 this morning.

I have to say now that I have spent some time looking over the new pointsplus plan I like it, I LOVE that fruit and squash are both zero points now, I always found myself arguing against spending a whole point on healthy food when I could eat a weight watchers chcoclate cake or something equally atrocious. It makes it so much easier to get my sweet cravings met through fruit when I don't find myself (Stupidly) arguing against wasting points on fruit (that would be one of the mindsets that tripped me up this past year of course). I really dislike, however, the fact that I have to throw away all my knowledge of points values of various foods and that I can't estimate anymore the value of something based on the calories since 1pt roughly equaled 50 calories before. OOO I hear an awake toddler- be back later.

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#11 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM

hello

I just went back also. I'm a life time member. But it's been over  a decade since I'm  way way way over my goal weight. 

Ohh but I love plus points, i think this is really good, I love that fruit is 0.

But i have a problem As a frugal (cheapo) I hate that they are compelling members to purchase that point converter or  pay for a subscription on the WW website to use the tools there.  

They no longer give out that paper slide to figure out points from a food label,

And we can not do it in our head as the OP said. 50cal  = 1  point is no longer the calculation for +points..

What's a gal to do!!!

#12 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

#13 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post

^^Good for you!  :)  Enjoy your snack!

You know,  I tend to have a little snack/sweet every day.  Something that's just 2-3 points.  That really helps me not go overboard.  What's your (everyone's) approach to treats?

I have a similar approach, little treat after dinner.

Used to be an ice pop.

But now that fruit is ZERO i mght eat berries with a shake of powdered sugar.

#14 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I know it's annoying to buy new, but things are cheap right now. My ww store was out of single books, but they had small member packs for 14.95. These include the dining out and food book, plus a 3 month tracker. Single books are normally 10.00, but I think they are probably on sale too. The calculator is normally 11.95, but through Jan is 5.95, So, I got the member pack and calc for 20.90. We are frugal, low income people, but I made it work. I do have a membership. I cant do it on my own and need people to ride my ass to get me there. I am too heavy right now to trust myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.p View Post

hello

I just went back also. I'm a life time member. But it's been over  a decade since I'm  way way way over my goal weight. 

Ohh but I love plus points, i think this is really good, I love that fruit is 0.

But i have a problem As a frugal (cheapo) I hate that they are compelling members to purchase that point converter or  pay for a subscription on the WW website to use the tools there.  

They no longer give out that paper slide to figure out points from a food label,

And we can not do it in our head as the OP said. 50cal  = 1  point is no longer the calculation for +points..

What's a gal to do!!!

#15 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM

I just don't trust that fruit is zero.  LoL . . . I just can't.  And I don't know . . . I'm still annoyed that I don't have the option to do WW the way I was doing it.  I wasn't one to sub out 2 points of chocolate for 2 points of fruit.  I made sure to get my fruit and then I went for the treat.  I kind of feel like I'm being told what to eat now . . . and the great thing about WW before was I could eat what I wanted within my points.

So sorry to all of you who have to buy new materials.  I hope it doesn't derail your weight loss at all.  

#16 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM

So I am feeling really frustrated by the plus points calculation right now. I am hoping someone does it online only and can help me figure it out, I only do WW online and I was filling in a recipe today for my vegan butternut squash soup and the way the recipe builder added it up was so weird. So it goes 3lbs butternut squash which shows up as 0 pts even in that quantity, 3 medium carrots 0pts, 4 cups vegetable broth 1 pt, 1 2/3 cups light coconut milk 10 pts (and then a variety of other spices that don't matter for this) for 6 servings (although really it made like 8 dinner size portions) so that totals up to 11 pts for the whole pot of soup divided by 6 should be approx 2pts per serving. Instead it said the total was 28 pts so for 6 servings it's 5 pts each.

This kind of makes sense to me as they are counting based on the actual values of 3 lbs of squash etc but if I put it in my tracker individually it would add up to 2 pts and the points tracker itself doesn't take into account multiples of 0 pt items like it used to. I ate 3 medium clementines over the course of the day yesterday- still 0 pts.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, it was just kind of confusing. Using the old recipe builder used to be so easy the points for everything showed in the column, it added them up, divided by the number of servings etc. Now it seems like it's including the pts value of 3lbs of squash in the total without ever telling you what the points for that alone is.

Ugh.

On the upside- really yummy lunch today just to share- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt, 3/4 cup frozen blackberries defrosted, 3/4 cup frozen blueberries defrosted and 1 tsp of honey. The only thing that would have made it better would be some shaved almonds or something. eat.gif

#17 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM

If you're building a recipe it's going to list the points value as if you were just eating it separately.  However, the calculation counts all the carbs, etc. in that food when it's tallying up.  So, the butternut squash or whatever is not 0 points if it is in a recipe.  Not to be negative or anything, but this seems kind of stupid to me.  I recently recalculated my chocolate berry green smoothie and it went from 7 points to 14 points.  It was less points if I didn't add the 4 cups of spinach.  Oh, ok - so I shouldn't eat the spinach? KWIM?  Now I'm just counting my high fruit and veg items as meals instead of recipes.  Surely, the point is to eat as much fresh raw produce as possible.

I think this Points Plus thing will be so much easier to newbies.  The biggest losers (or not) are those of us who were really losing with the old system.

I am trying to embrace the new plan.  I've started planning out my food each day again, but have yet to stay OP.  I'll just keep tweaking it like I did the old one until I hit upon what works for me. 

Express delivery of a big box of butter cookies from DFIL in Paris NOT helpful.  Feelin' the love, though!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#18 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Dazedstella I went in and tried it. It is a little confusing. I don't know why it does it that way. I actually came up with 4 pts per serving. For some reason the column on the right does not show any points value for the squash and carrots but if you watch as you're entering them it does include some points at the bottom. For the squash it assigns 13 points. It's a bit misleading. I wonder if it is supposed to do that? If there is a way to report it you might try to.

#19 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight at my meeting they said the online stuff has had a lot of problems that that there is quite a bit of tweaking going on.

I hardly lost anything, but I am trying not to be frustrated. Cold weather has kept me inside but I have not gotten back into the Y habit. So, I have hardly been moving plus holiday goodies everywhere. I just want to make it through the holidays without gaining.

#20 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

hope to write more later, but lo needs to nuse. I meant to add that on my last post, but when I went to edit to say that, it wouldnt work I have been having so much trouble with the edit button on here. I hate change! 

#21 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

hope to write more later, but lo needs to nuse. I meant to add that on my last post, but when I went to edit to say that, it wouldnt work I have been having so much trouble with the edit button on here. I hate change! 

#22 of 40 Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldmommers View Post

If you're building a recipe it's going to list the points value as if you were just eating it separately.  However, the calculation counts all the carbs, etc. in that food when it's tallying up.  So, the butternut squash or whatever is not 0 points if it is in a recipe.  Not to be negative or anything, but this seems kind of stupid to me.  I recently recalculated my chocolate berry green smoothie and it went from 7 points to 14 points.  It was less points if I didn't add the 4 cups of spinach.  Oh, ok - so I shouldn't eat the spinach? KWIM?  Now I'm just counting my high fruit and veg items as meals instead of recipes.  Surely, the point is to eat as much fresh raw produce as possible.

Not to sound like I am 10 but Ugh, that is so DUMB. Basically what I ate for dinner was a pureed form of a serving of butternut squash, with a pureed serving of carrots with a little coconut milk and vegetable broth poured over the top. If the whole point of this is, as you said, to eat as much healthy, fresh and as close to raw as you can get (since I am assuming they expect you to  cook things like squash, haha) then it is really stupid for a 2pt meal to also be a 5 pt meal. I'm calling it a 2 pt meal and being done with it.

#23 of 40 Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

View Post

Not to sound like I am 10 but Ugh, that is so DUMB. Basically what I ate for dinner was a pureed form of a serving of butternut squash, with a pureed serving of carrots with a little coconut milk and vegetable broth poured over the top. If the whole point of this is, as you said, to eat as much healthy, fresh and as close to raw as you can get (since I am assuming they expect you to  cook things like squash, haha) then it is really stupid for a 2pt meal to also be a 5 pt meal. I'm calling it a 2 pt meal and being done with it.

lol, I say call it 2 pts! It's squash, I am sure it will be ok!!thumb.gif

#24 of 40 Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 AM

I prepaid online and now have access to all the tools. I have not been to WW in three years. I started again as they rolled out the +Points.

the online tools is really amazingly useful. I was resisting because they gather so much info, and they have a rotten privacy policy for our info, that is NOT in favor of us the consumer.   All that targeted pharmaceutical advertising  following me around that site now.

But the tools are useful.

I'm having a pretty good week so far. Hopefully it shows up, I'm just about menopausal so my body is new to me!

Sort of like when you go through adolescence, but the reverse!

#25 of 40 Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazedstella View Post

I agree with you,dizzy.gifIt's crazy for them to do it that way.

Maybe it's the way they interact in the body together.

I would just list stuff separately. As If you had it all in separate piles on your plate, then ate it. It would then be separate points.

I'm life time member, and years ago on WW if you ate your cereal with skim milk it became a Protein, which was annoying because we used to a have a set  amount of protein you had to follow for the day.

Instead of it being a "carb" and "Dairy" how i wanted to list it. Finally they started giving us the choice how to list it.

They will work out the kinks for the +point program as we tell the leaders our concerns about things like you ran into!

#26 of 40 Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 AM

*waves* I am a member of WW Online but have not really used it yet, it has just upgraded me to Pro Points so I am learning the ropes. I hope to start tomorrow so will meal plan tonight so I have an idea of what to eat. I need to shift 45-50lbs. So hello all.

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#27 of 40 Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow I am going back to the Y! I stopped going when my feet got so swollen during pregnancy that my shoes were hurting and cutting off circulation. I will start back tomorrow, my first time with 2 kids. I am hoping my 4 month old will handle it well so mama can get some "me" time which would benefit my body and mind.
#28 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Saturday we had a holiday party and I consumed all my daily points PLUS all my weeklies. When I am being honest I probably went over those too.  The end result was that I was only down 0.4 lbs this week so really, no loss. I think I am probably just lucky I didn't gain.

Welcome.gifDharmaDisciple

#29 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

Saturday we had a holiday party and I consumed all my daily points PLUS all my weeklies. When I am being honest I probably went over those too.  The end result was that I was only down 0.4 lbs this week so really, no loss. I think I am probably just lucky I didn't gain.

yeahthat.gif As long as I dont gain over the holidays, I will be happy.
#30 of 40 Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Hi Everyone!  I just found this December thread.  Nice to see some old and new faces.

I joined summer of 2009- lost 45lbs over the next year.  I made lifetime this past summer.  I am currently a couple pounds under my goal weight.  

I was thinking I might see some instant loss with the new plan. Nope.  I actually gained a little the first two weeks.  Okay..... I don't know.  I really like the fruit being 0.  I am finding myself eating a lot more fruit now- and really appreciating it.

I've been doing some great running.  Like, I have become a runner now.  I did a marathon back in 2002....and I used to think "Never again" but now that I am feeling so good at this weight, I think I might do another one.  Possibly December 2011?  I am doing a biathlon the day after Christmas.  1/2 mile ocean swim, 4 mile run.  Things have clicked recently in regards to activity.  I am craving my run now.   Part of me would love to lose a couple more pounds and reset my goal weight to 130lbs (it's currently set at 141)  but on the other hand, I feel so good right now, it's hard to find that motivation.  I am still shocked to be able to go into a store and buy a size 6 and have it fit (okay, you caught me, not actually a store, but the thrift store).  So, while I haven't seen the scale move much in the past few months, I have notices big body changes- as in going from a size 8/10 to a 6/8.  

Overall, I feel like I have more points with the new program- I never feel that "oh no" feeling like I used to.  Before it would be after lunchtime and I would have hardly any points for dinner.  Now I feel like most of my favorite foods have stayed the same in points, or gone up just one point- so I am feeling very satisfied.  

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page