"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the commiseration and ideas.  I did buy that book - I had a few extra minutes before my dr's appt and decided I probably needed some reading material.  My dr's office runs on time and doesn't need to do things sequentially (so, we knew I was going to need a booster, so it was done while the doc was on the phone...).  So I didn't get more than a few seconds to read.  So far, like most parenting books, it looks like basic common sense.

For a variety of reasons, the whole approach of doing it the night before doesn't feel right.  I'm hoping to mull that over with DH over the weekend and figure out why.

In the mean time, I've got a doctor's office calling and begging for an ENT appt to get me tubes next week.  I told the doc I was getting on a plane Feb 6, and not real thrilled with the idea of doing that with this ear infection.  I told her that my plan was to call the ENT and cry.  She said she'd do it for me.  :lol  But I have to stay on the vile nose 'roids until then.  :(  Another rx to hopefully kick out my icky feet that I've had since I was 2.  I've been boosted, jabbed, sucked, scraped, and generally buffed and polished for another year.  Hopefully.

I bought myself a snazzy new running light as a reward or to make myself feel better or something quasi metaphysical.  Snazzy running lights don't fix ringing ears, but it might be a significant preventative of future severe problems.  ;)

Running 7 in the am.  Predicted temp:  7F.  Predicted wind:  6 mph.  Questioning the wisdom of the plan... 

#542 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Geo - maybe staples? lol.gif I think all 8 year olds are relatively distracted, forgetful beings. Maybe if you just pretend she's 4 for awhile? smile.gif

I should probably spend more time helping my children do things for themselves in the morning, but for now, I just make sure that they have clean clothes and pairs of mittens/boots, hats, jackets, etc. ready to go - just need to pick and grab. As long as I get up before the kids, things go relatively smoothly.

Plady - You reminded me to go do more laundry smile.gif We finally fixed our washing machine after a week of being out of commission. One week is a long time with 3 under 5 and all the extra running clothes as of late! We went to the laundromat last week and to my parents' on the weekend. Now I'm trying to complete our 4-5 loads from the week tonight redface.gif We were able to replace a broken part, which was a huge relief because we thought we'd have to buy a new washer. ::relief::

wave.gif fellow Mainer, Abby!

Now, I'm just hoping our oil lasts us until tomorrow. Dad came to help with the washer and conveniently pointed out that we had no oil to speak of. Luckily he's a heating technician so if we do run out...well, I'll be calling him to come restart the furnace. We had been planning to buy it on Tuesday; we misjudged.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#543 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Geo, for whatever reason, I can't bring myself to do anything the night before with my kids. I mean, they do their homework (obviously) and I check it, but even the checking sometimes goes to the next AM. I think we are all just too beat by day's end. I have had to drop off ds's lunch twice. It doesn't fit in his backpack, so he has to carry it separately, and this has been an issue exactly twice in the first semester. I have since told him that if he forgets it, he will from now on go lunchless. I suppose school would not let him, but please. Let's be reasonable. We are extremely well-fed people and we know by virtue of Ramadan that skipping lunch (i.e., eating at 7:15 and then going without food until 3:30) does not harm or endanger the child. Sigh.

Dd sometimes gives us problems, but she's hit and miss and it's usually a too-late-to-bed issue, or an illness coming on. We also keep a brush in the dining room, and the kids actually work together getting ready for the bus (one gets the boots, another digs out mittens, etc.).

I think I am commiserating without offering any viable solutions. Yell more? bag.gif

In other news, af.gif explains why I could not stand the sound of my own children's voices two days ago.

And RM, this is the Dingo thread. Of course you can remember God. love.gif

Abby, glad you're around!

I went to the Y today and ran. I first did a 10-min warmup on the elliptical because it was below zero and my ankles don't do well cold. Then I ran 30-something, mostly with my sister. Then I whirlpooled, then sauna, then a nice shower! Now, I am at a hotel. Dh is at the pool with the kids. We went out for dinner (WI Friday fish fry, duh, right?) and I am about to change and see if the pool has a whirlpool. Because it is still below zero.

New challenge: keeping dh from becoming so totally negative about everything here that he makes me scream. We'll just see how that goes. Tough day at work today, I guess...

#544 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Hello Dingos!!! 

What a great thread! 

I am a mama to a fabulous little man named Orion who just turned 7 months. I am a first time mom and couldnt be happier. I began running a few years ago when my husband and I were living in Italy. We lived in a very small village surrounded by beautiful olive groves that went on for miles. The perfect place to start the addicting habit of running. I have run a few half-marathons, two in NYC and one in Cincinnati. A few 5ks here and there and I am always looking for the next one to conquer. 

Why do I run?

Well a few reasons really.

I started running strictly for exercise to stimulate weight loss. (Italian pasta and wine can do a number on the hips and thighs.)

Now it is a meditation for me. I run to clear my head, to think things over and sometimes I run to think on big decisions in my life. It makes me a better person, more relaxed and go with the flow. The feeling of accomplishment after a big run is like nothing else. Pushing my body and mind just a little farther than the day before. That is a feeling of victory for me.

I live in New England and this winter has just been brutal on my running schedule. Between 12 inches of snow and sinus infections due to the pressure changes I have been homebound a little more than what I would like. But as soon as that last snowflake has melted away I will be back on the trails. Even better now I have my little guy to take along and enjoy the fresh air. My running stroller is my new best friend. I cant wait for spring.

I am running a 10k in April and planning a half marathon in June. 

A Mommy In Love!!!

#545 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Hey fellow Mainers!! (Actually I'm English living in Maine!). Anyone near the Portland area?

Geo, I'm reading along with interest here. Obviously we're a long way from age 8 but I'm guessing, too, that 8 year olds are surprisingly like 4 year old little people in terms of distractability. Does she give reasons for why she isn't getting ready? And good luck with that run!

Mommajb, you make some good suggestions. I think this is just the ebb and flow of our relationship. That said we've had the 'who does what' discussion many, many times in our 16 years together and it's always so plain to see that I do far more than he does, but, the truth is, he's just not that efficient. I think what I am looking for, sometimes, is some kudos, compassion, or whatever... anything that makes me feel not taken for granted when I'm about to head to work on virtually no sleep... DS is cutting another molar, poor chap, so sleep is even worse these nights.

RM - You're going to rock that half marathon!! And I HOPE HOPE the house works out. We're waiting to hear from the town to see if they are going to buy our house (they want to put a road through our old farmhouse). We're super excited and we're hoping to build a place much nearer to my work.

Jo, wow, you are an adventurer. I have had friends who have lived or stayed in Dubai for extended times (for work) and I have heard good things about the experience.

DrJen, congrats on the job! Change is so hard for most of us, even when it's good change.

Another snow day here. For once I was wanting to go to work, but, alas, a day inside. I did get on the trainer for 90minutes watching something on Netflix. I don't know that they'll be much running in my weekend future as it's COLD here. Not sure i'm as brave as Wendy.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#546 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Ironic, that yesterday for a special treat I sent money with my DD to buy her lunch at school. (Her school was having a fundraiser for a class trip for an upper grade, so it was doubly special.) Somehow she forgot that she had the money or didn't find the money and ended up thinking she had no lunch, but her friends shared with her. I made a point of letting her teacher know she had had money for lunch after school, and today DD bought her lunch.

When we have a temporary increase in problems like this, we fall back on the checklist approach. For us it goes on the back of the front door, but at times I've also put it in the backpack. It seems to help.

I'm behind again on the thread, but congrats DrJen!

#547 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
bec

I did manage to get my 4 miles in today. Making 14 for the week!  It started out tough.  I did half a mile at my home treadmill, and was having such a hard time getting my mind in the game.  Thankfully, DH came home, and let me leave.  We are having frigid temperatures, so I didn't want to run outside.  So, I headed over to the gym and knocked out the remaining 3.5 miles at the indoor track.  It was a good run, although tough.  I'm glad it's done, and I'm glad I have two full rest days this weekend!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#548 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Geo--Is your DD easily distractible? That sounds a lot like my DH, honestly. It drives me batty but nothing we've done changes the fact that has a seriously forgetful period every few weeks. Nothing I've tried works either, other than handling it all myself. I have instituted rules that sound a bit draconian for days when we all need to be out of the house early. However, I have to be the one to direct people out of the house and all too often I find myself redirecting DH to the task at hand. That's true of R too, but I'm not sure how much of that is being 6 and how much of that is genetic.

ETA: the part about DH probably sounds harsh, but the reality looks like this. On Sundays we need to get to church by a certain time. DH wants to get up, eat breakfast, drink coffee and relax before we go. He usually also loses track of time so when that happens I come in and remind him that it's time to finish breakfast and get ready. And often when we need to be putting children in coats and walking out the door he'll decide it's time to empty the dishwasher or read the mail or make R's bed (which she's supposed to do on her own, but she's learned that Daddy will do it for her and so she doesn't bother if I don't make her do it while he's in the shower) and I'll have to redirect him to the task at hand: put on your coat and shoes and go. If I don't do it, he putters around, we end up late and the he complains about how late it is and how he doesn't know how that happened.

kerc--I love what you posted. With the exception of toothbrushes in the kitchen (because the bathroom is on the other side of the kitchen wall), I think that's what we're going to do next year when she needs to be at school by 8.

1jooj--hope the hotel had a whirlpool.

Welcome Dmitrizmom and tortuga and Orionsmama!

bec--nice job on 14 miles this week.

RR: did 3 with J in the jogger this afternoon. Thought about doing more but my legs feel tired this week.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a Fuel Belt. Opinions about the 2-bottle Helium vs the 4-bottle Helium vs the H20 belt? I'd probably use it mainly for races (where I'd really only need 2 bottles) but also possibly for long runs where I'd want 4 bottles. The Helium might be my best bet because I can add bottles or take them off depending on the situation, without having empty bottle pockets just sitting there?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#549 of 775 Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Orionsmama--Welcome!  Whereabouts in Rhode Island are you?  My parents are there, in Portsmouth, which is near Newport.  I treat their house like my own private bed and breakfast, going down for weekends and longer trips in the summertime.  coolshine.gif  It's such a beautiful area, although my parents' neighborhood is miserably hilly and I always get injured when I try to run there.

#550 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Hey Dingos!  I've been reading but not really replying because it's hard on my phone and my computer is broken.  I'm hoping to get into the swing of conversing with this large group soon!

Anyway, we got quite a bit of snow and very cold temps so I kept putting off starting my "forward motion" training.  Tonight I was DESPERATE to get away from the house so after dinner I went to the YMCA.  I did the elliptical for 20 min and then alternated walking with jogging around the track for 10 minutes.  First work out in like 5 years!

I'm still in that postpartum always-ravenously-hungry phase so my food choices have been less than ideal- I'm trying to change the foods I'm eating because I know it would help me feel better and have more energy.

My 2 year old is having behavior and potty regression issues and I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Hoping getting out to work out regularly might help.

#551 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Welcome, new Dingos!

Real, I have a fuel belt, the 4 bottle one. Not sure which model it is. I love it, as far as it is possible to love such a thing. My previous hydration belt was terrible. This one is much more comfortable and adjustable. Truth be told, I detest wearing one but sometimes you need it. The only downside is that the little pouch that comes on it is very, very small. Like you can get 1 gu and a debit card in there, but not much else. This is a problem for me since 1) my car key is honking big; 2) i usually need to carry my phone in case dh needs to go out to the hospital on a call and my phone is a blackberry. So I still have to wear my bottoms with the good pockets (Lotta Breeze Capris) or wear my spibelt in addition to the fuel belt, which makes me feel like a total goober.

Geo, we have similar issues with my 10 year old girl who is extremely dreamy/in her own world and loses track of time easily. In fact this is also an issue in school where she loses track of time while immersed in work and cannot always finish promptly (being she is in a Montessori this is a bit alleviated but it is still an issue and will get more acute as she progresses in school). I have that book on reserve as well at the library. We do use a checklist by her door, but it is hit or miss as far as effectiveness. I don't have great answers for you but do have hugs for you.

Had a nice 8 miles this morning with my club. I was going to do 10 but got tired and decided to just do 8 instead -- how liberating to be free of a training schedule for a couple weeks! Of course with my half coming up in March and a time goal I have for the year, I do need to step it up soon. But 2 weeks post-marathon I'm still just kind of running with my body and seeing how I feel. Managed 20 miles this past week so not too bad.

Hoping to get a babysitter this evening so dh and I can go to a local wine bar and hear my friend sing (she is amazing) and then out to dinner...wow, sounds like a real date, right?! We'll see...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#552 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I think I am commiserating without offering any viable solutions. Yell more? bag.gif

Which is why the Dingo cafe is here. Frankly I find it nice to know that you people have the same problem and that my kid is not the only one in the in the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Geo--Is your DD easily distractible? That sounds a lot like my DH, honestly. It drives me batty but nothing we've done changes the fact that has a seriously forgetful period every few weeks. Nothing I've tried works either, other than handling it all myself. I have instituted rules that sound a bit draconian for days when we all need to be out of the house early. However, I have to be the one to direct people out of the house and all too often I find myself redirecting DH to the task at hand. That's true of R too, but I'm not sure how much of that is being 6 and how much of that is genetic.

ETA: the part about DH probably sounds harsh, but the reality looks like this. On Sundays we need to get to church by a certain time. DH wants to get up, eat breakfast, drink coffee and relax before we go. He usually also loses track of time so when that happens I come in and remind him that it's time to finish breakfast and get ready. And often when we need to be putting children in coats and walking out the door he'll decide it's time to empty the dishwasher or read the mail or make R's bed (which she's supposed to do on her own, but she's learned that Daddy will do it for her and so she doesn't bother if I don't make her do it while he's in the shower) and I'll have to redirect him to the task at hand: put on your coat and shoes and go. If I don't do it, he putters around, we end up late and the he complains about how late it is and how he doesn't know how that happened.

kerc--I love what you posted. With the exception of toothbrushes in the kitchen (because the bathroom is on the other side of the kitchen wall), I think that's what we're going to do next year when she needs to be at school by 8.
ah yes. the Dh thing. My husband has twice in the past six months taken time out to thank me for getting his stuff together. The first time it happened I texted my friend that I was concerned dh was terminally ill. Turns out somehow he just recently realized that I have skills he just doesn't have. This week he was getting ready to leave for work and I said, "Do you want me to make you a sandwich?" -- he said yes but there wasn't enough time. I knew better: before he had rounded up all his stuff and was actually stepping out the back door the sandwich was done. BUT: he's a far better researcher than me and better at what he does. It takes all kinds and thank goodness signs point towards our children being some kind of mingling of the two of us. Abby: nice to see you here. While we're talking about God, everyone please light a candle/say a prayer: dh's Grandpa Sonny (93) was moved 2 weeks ago from an apartment he shared with his wife of about a million years to a nursing facility. That's when he stopped eating. Yesterday they moved him to a hospice center. He's Sonny to my kids, Grandpa to my husband and was a dear, sweet, kind father to MIL and wonderful man. Please keep our family in your thoughts, especially Nana who is now living by herself.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#553 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Nic ~ I've got my fingers crossed that your "date" happens!

Welcome all the new Dingoes!  Orionsmama, I have family in RI too (Barrington).

Jo ~ sounds like a nice night.  Are you in a hotel to celebrate? 

Geo ~ we've also tried the checklist method to help DD1 do the things she refuses to do (ie. brush teeth, go to the bathroom, etc.)  It worked well for about a week and then she just stopped complying again and we had to go back to the strong-arm tactics!  I'm not sure which is more irritating, forgetting to do stuff like your DD or outright refusing to do what needs to be done "because you don't like being told what to do" like mine.

I still don't feel 100%.  I coughed a lot last night and my stomach just isn't right.  All I seem to want to eat is fruit.  One week of flu and I'm down 6 pounds.  It's one way, I guess....  No FM still today with the cough lingering.  Any residual fitness I have left is soon to leave the building at this rate.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#554 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Good morning!

JayGee- I am in Wakefield in South County. Close to the beach...ahhhhh. We actually go to Barrington often, my DH's nana lives there.

LaLaLaLa- We used to live in Newport a few years back so Portsmouth is right down the road. I haven't run in Portsmouth, but in Bristol a little farther up the road there is a beautiful bike trail that goes along the water. Check it out next time you're in town.

Nickarolaberry- good luck for date night. we finally went on our first without the babe and the sushi and wine I had never tasted so good!!!

Thinking warm thoughts to melt this snowwwwww!!!!!!

A Mommy In Love!!!

#555 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM

strange: half my post is missing.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#556 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Welcome Orionsmama, Dmitrizmom & tortuga! Good to meet you guys wave.gif

Thanks for the comments on my DD re: her school problems. I am not quite ready to ask them to test her since she is still stinging from the last test, *failing* to achieve gifted and talented status (yes, they used that word). Which does not really surprise me, but it did hurt her feelings. But I definitely like the idea of counting her successes - the things she is supposed to be doing, and she really does do those things! She loves to read on her own, does her homework without being asked, practices piano and does her sewing just to please herself! I don't want to stifle that or make it seem less wonderful by grousing about grades. Anyway, thanks for the ideas notes.gif

FM: swam a mile yesterday, but very slowly, as it was crowded for a change, and lane sharing was a must. Then today, DH and I ran 3 miles together, but sheesh, that last mile felt like torture. I had to resort to counting my steps to distract myself from the inner I-want-to-quit dialogue. eyesroll.gif Ooh, and I think I may have re-discovered my RP, a neighbor who is so very nice and fun to run with. She had some injury issues and had skipped running for a while, but we recently decided to try getting out together once a week. thumb.gif

On another FM-related note, I signed up to volunteer at a local triathlon! Signing up to *do* a triathlon was just still too scary for me, what with the whole transition thing and all that, so I will go help out and watch, and hopefully meet a few nice people there.

ETA: Sheesh, the whole reason I came to MDC today was because I wanted to comment on the distracted 8 year-old syndrome. I love the idea of having clothes picked out the night before, backpacks and lunchboxes ready at the door. It's hard to do real consequences in a situation like that. Yeah, walking barefoot to school doesn't work so well ;-) But getting things ready early, the night before, could mean OK, we can play UNO before bed, but you have to get your school clothes/backpack ready first.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#557 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Am now back in North America. I had a good trip but I'm exhausted and a little bit jostled by re-entry. Didn't get any running in as the roads were either dark or very rough or didn't feel safe or all three, except I'd planned to run at the beach, but was with a student in the hospital instead (in Nicaragua.) She's fine but it was a little hairy for a bit!

All in all a great trip, and I'm now trying to ease back into things instead of jumping right back to work. I missed my dingo sisters!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#558 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Welcome back home, Penelope! Glad it all went well, and that your student is fine now. Were the medical facilities ok there?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#559 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Hey Dingos,

I know i haven't been here since... well they changed the look! But i wanted to give a brief update on whats going on with me (and the dang knee).

So, last i said i thought i was going to need surgery, etc. I FINALLY got into physical therapy this last week, and will see the Ortho again Feb 8th. The PT thinks some (if not all) of my pain is from this massively huge knot in my quad, right above the knee, where i have pain (outer part of the knee). So, here's hoping. I really, really still want to avoid surgery.

The good news is that, the knee is feeling better (even before PT started) and I'm not having my knee lock up or give out as much as it was. The PA at the ortho office thinks i really need to strengthen the knee up (and that would help with the knock knee as well). PT is going to try and give me full range again (like i can hit my bum with my heel, like i can on the right side). And my PTs office has a runners evaluation as well, to see how well you are running, etc. I'm going to see about that, to see if my running style is what injured me in the first place.

So, my hope of doing a 5k before my birthday, not happening now :( little bummed, but its NY, and winter, races are scare anyways, esp if you don't have a car to get to anything non-local (the car is a story and a 1/2 in and of itself!). But, I'm looking to see whats coming up, lots starting mid-march (about 2-weeks after my b-day) and April... so I'm hoping, just hoping at this point still. esp if it turns out, i don't need surgery.

Sorry, but I'm really not ready to read 28 pages of back posts so

CONGRATS :joy: to those who need it and :goodvibes: to those who needs those too

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#560 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 PM

wave.gif and welcomeback.gif to new and returning dingos

I have been watching this 8 yo conversation with interest. I wonder how much of the dilemma is personality and how much of it is age and what the other factors are. My dd that turns 8 next month and her 5 yo sister can be obstinate and uncooperative rather than forgetful in the morning. I am wanting to throw the nine year brain change into the discussion but I don't quite have a grasp on the phrases I want to use tonight. After age nine or third grade expectations are radically different at school with fewer manipulatives, more theoretical (not quite the right word) thinking. The reasons for this are bsed on maturity and brain changes that can be exected in a majority of the population by this age. My 12 yo is s-l-o-w to get anything done anytime of day so I do believe some of it is personality. Just to clarify, she is not mentally challenged. Some of it is personality and some of it is differences between us. For me, everything is urgent. For Alice (and her father) there is nothing worth a rush, ever. Running is not her idea of fun.

I was up at 4:45 am and it wasn't to run or catch a plane. :yawn As I sat in the parking lot waiting for ds1 and dd1 to finish their tests today I was so happy to have my kindle. This was me sleeping.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#561 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Welcome back Penelope! Hope the trip was all you wanted it to be!

We did have a date night...very nice. Great music, wine, and some friends at a wine/beer bar. Then we went out to a little Italian restaurant that was very crowded (sat. night 'in season' = crowded) but the food was nice and our friends ended up showing up there too, so although they sat at another table and we had our own little table, it was still fun. Dh and I really got a chance to just chat and talk, nothing heavy, no kids chatter. Nice.

Amazing what a lightweight I am when it comes to wine. One glass and I was sockered. Seriously. THat has always happened to me but the weird thing is, it disappears nearly right away, once I go to the bathroom. Also strange is that I literally can feel the alcohol (whatever I drink) moving around my bloodstream. It is not a nice feeling, actually, it kind of burns and makes me have a weird heaviness/ache in my body. Then my head feels spinny and I do end up being rather ...loose-tongued...about what I really think about things. LOL Then I go to the bathroom once and all is normal again. Weird.

Kids are still sick...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#562 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Welcome back home, Penelope! Glad it all went well, and that your student is fine now. Were the medical facilities ok there?

Heh. Um. Not really. We went first to the local public (free) hospital and it was pretty awful - dirty, no possibility of a room with doors even if she was admitted, only a slightly curtained off area with cockroaches and someone else's blood on the sheets and people walking in and out and full view/audio of other people's sickness (and people were pretty sick). The doc diagnosed her with tropical pneumonia despite the fact that she'd only been in the region about a week and a half and had no other symptoms. I refused the chest X-ray on her behalf as I was, honestly, scared that the equipment would be ancient and unsafe. The woman who organized our trip was pissed at me since she didn't know where the closest private hospital was and felt as though we ought to be in solidarity with the poor of Nicaragua who don't have other options. (She lives in Costa Rica which has much better public hospitals.)

So we transferred her to a private hospital finally, which was a. clean and b. staffed by faculty of the medical school and c. less than $500 for the X-ray, an overnight stay in a private room, and a bunch of care for what turned out to be a serious allergic reaction to dust or smoke. I slept in the student's room on the other twin hospital bed and the organizer slept on the floor, and the student got better, and it turned out ok. And she didn't get misdiagnosed. But I would probably not go on a trip with the same organization again as I think the program organizer wasn't prepared for emergencies as well as I would have liked (our van driver had to ask around to find out which hospital we should go to and where it was - no street signs, dark, etc.)

I'm not happy that the medical care for poor Nicaraguans is inadequate. But in context, this student was my responsibility, and I didn't want her to get care that might hurt her. It was kind of scary. I'm glad to be home, although the trip overall was very good.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#563 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Penelope--glad you're back and everyone is safe. Also, I think that decisions about whether one wants to experience the same conditions as the poor in any country should be made greatly in advance and not in the middle of a medical emergency. Besides which, it's hard to help other people if someone is suffering from health problems that resulted from inadequate medical care. I think the program organizer's stance is ridiculous.

No running today, but I got out for a short bike ride. I learned that I do not have good winter gear for biking. cold.gif

ETA: I have a copy of Playful Learning: An Alternate Approach to Preschool by Anne Engelhardt and Cheryl Sullivan that I'm putting up for sale, but any Dingo who might be interested can pay only shipping and have it for free. Just LMK.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#564 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Realrellim - I went to church with Anne Englehardt and her family growing up!  She had 5 children last I knew - the oldest was probably close to my age and the youngest a little older than my oldest ds.  She was really sweet to me and helpful when I was 17 and nursing my oldest ds, and one of the few women I knew who'd ever nursed a baby and could tell me anything about it!

Penelope - wow, what an experience on your trip.  I agree with Real - that's a really impractical opinion to have if you are guiding trips in an agree with difficult access to modern medical care.

On 8 yr olds - I don't know how much is age and how much is personality.  I know my oldest ds needed checklists and supervision until he left home practically, while 7 yr old dd needs almost nothing, so to some extent I think it's a factor of personality, and the way your brain works.  My ds, with ADHD, just took forever to master routines and the ability to make his own checklists, while my little dd is naturally able to do it, without having needed much training.  Although it drove me nuts, and I always felt like my oldest "should" be able to take over this stuff on his own, the fact was that he really needed help - in the form of getting as much done the night before as possible, having a very set routine in the ams, and having me run the checklist with him when getting ready to leave.  And he continued to need these things long after I was tired of doing them (or his teachers were tired of them with things like homework checklists.)  I tried to remind myself that this was the way his brain worked, and that I wouldn't expect him to be able to outgrow glasses if he'd needed glasses.  What happened is that finally his brain matured enough that he could take over his own list making instead of needing me to do it for him.  And it's funny now, when sometimes we're frantic in the morning and I'm asking dd if she has her lunchbox, or whatever, and she always gives me a shocked look and says "of course I do!" 

#565 of 775 Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM

I am so not caught up on the thread yet, but hopefully tomorrow. Vail was fun, although crazy windy and super snowy. The snow would have been awesome if it hadn't all been blowing straight up the mountain! Still fun, and I got to ski with my friend (former college roommate, actually). Her FIL was amazing and wouldn't let me pay for a darn thing (room at the condo, pizza last night, hot cocoa break, lunch, and dinner today!!!). I feel kind of guilty seeing as how I had never met him before last night, but I also slightly got the impression that money is not really an issue for him. Regardless, it was ridiculously nice, and it was a fun trip. I can't tell you how tempted I was just to stay up there tonight, ski tomorrow, and bag my race. But darn it, I want a race shirt that says "Yeti Chase"! And besides, I already paid for it. orngtongue.gif The drive home was kind of iffy, super snowy and a bit icy, but I made it home in a decent amount of time. I have my contribution for tomorrow's post-race breakfast ready to put in the oven tomorrow morning (slightly irked.gif that I couldn't come up with something that didn't involve me having to get up early to bake it!). It's not going to be pretty, but oh well. We'll just see how it goes, I guess!

Hopefully will have time for some personals tomorrow...love to you all. blowkiss.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#566 of 775 Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Penelope ~ that sounds a little scary for your poor student.  If you ever decide to do another CR trip, my sister actually organizes trips in Costa Rica as a business.  I'd be happy to put you in touch with her.

tjsmama ~ have an awesome race!!!

The snow is already starting to fall again here.  I am still coughing and feeling woozy, but I did eat well yesterday at least.  I think I'm maybe still a little dehydrated, so I'll spend the day drinking enough water and maybe that will get the rest of this bug out of my system.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#567 of 775 Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Is it insane to travel for a half marathon?

I am thinking of going up to NYC for the Fitness Half Marathon on April 3. I'd go up the second and come back the afternoon after the race, stay with my brother/sil and run with one of sil's friends who became my friend last summer (and northern running partner).

It would be like a pricey little jaunt (registration and airfare) but could be so fun...

am I nuts?

#568 of 775 Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
am I nuts?

No! Not nuts at all. You are combining a fun sports event with visiting family, solo, sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#569 of 775 Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Nope, not nuts, Nic! Go for it!

Race report, short version: Ugh. Long version: I was SO tired this morning. And it was cold and windy before the start. And I couldn't decide whether to just go for a training run or go for it and possibly crash and burn. I still hadn't really decided when the race started. bag.gif I kind of figured I would just go out and see how I felt the first mile or two. I was feeling pretty good, actually. My first two miles were around 9:30, not too shabby. Mile 3 had an uphill and was closer to 10, but still doing ok. And then we hit a BIG uphill. And my asthma kicked in. Seriously, when am I going to start remembering to use my %#$%^& inhaler?! The whole drive over, I was thinking that I needed to remember to use it. I should have just done it then, but felt like it was a little too early. So, of course, I remember 5 minutes before the race starts, with not enough time to go get it out of the car. And it's not like it's bad enough that I'm going to keel over and die without it, but I really do need it. So, the second half of the race, I couldn't breathe. Which slightly impeded my running. There were some pretty decent hills on the course, and I pretty much had to walk all of them. I tried to pick it up when I could on the downhills and flats, but I just couldn't go very fast. And then, genius that I am...coming into the finish, I saw a woman about 15 yards ahead of me with about a tenth to go. So, of course, I HAVE to catch her. I kicked and ran hard. Crossed the finish line (9 min pace for the last .2, for the record rolleyes.gif) and just about collapsed because I couldn't breathe. My friend (who had run the 5k) was cheering at the finish line, and I managed to shove my car key at her and gasp "car...inhaler...purse". Of course, by the time she got back, I was mostly recovered. Stupid, though. I have GOT to start remembering the dumb thing. Anyway, it was pretty good. Nice course, although NOT flat (contrary to the course description on the website). Well organized, cute shirt. And my friend had a brunch afterwards, which was a lot of fun and some good food. Official time: 1:05:18. Not nearly a PR, but still, 10:32 pace for a race that I couldn't breathe for half of? Not bad.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#570 of 775 Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the 8 year old space cadet ideas, thoughts, and commiseration.  DH and I have spent some time talking, and we've had a few family meetings.  I'm working my way through Smart but Scattered, which points out that DD is not just scattered wrt organization and getting stuff done but also in emotions.  We're picking 2 and working on them.  Emotions when playing games and getting out the door in the am.  Everything so far is cast in light of "our family is our team and we need to all do our part."  DD also knows the rule is now that if she forgets her lunch she has to buy from the cafeteria (she won't go hungry, but she generally won't eat the food served there.)  Anything else will come after I have a chance to finish reading this book and think through an approach. 

Everyone (including that book) suggests lists.  The problem is that DD, much like me, stops seeing the list.  I'll look at a list for the first two days, but then it blends into the background and I honestly do not see it.  I suspect DD is the same -- she's made herself lists, done really well for 2 days, then it's gone.  I think we need another approach. 

I'm also contemplating with a friend to swap math for eating tutoring.  That, of course, requires that I figure out what kinds of things her daughter struggles with in math without the benefit of diagnostic testing.  Her test scores are too high for services, but the teacher is on her case constantly, the mom and kid work *hard* and it, and she's still barley keeping up.  DD, on the other hand, needs someone besides mom to coax her to Eat Something, and this friend is an OT with feeding therapy experience.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page