"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 775 Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jo, way to go!

Gaye, sorry it's not intellectually challenging at this point - but yay that it sounds more managable than you expected.

Welcome, new Dingos! hola.gif

I'm dragging along tonight - kind of a wretched day although bourbon turned out to help quite a bit. bag.gif (Speeding ticket? Check! Colleague freaking out over something that seems to me to not be freak-worthy? Check! Tremendously busy getting ready for tomorrow's first day of classes? Check! Other colleague's wife very ill and thus he's very worried and stressed? Check! Teased someone today about his fun interterm trip without knowing one of his students is still hospitalized in Mexico after a problem during a scuba dive? Check! Oy, vey.)

Gonna run tomorrow. I swear.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#602 of 775 Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM

faint.gif

4.5 year old meltdown of epic proportions. Serious battle of the wills, and I'm not entirely certain that I came out on top. How do you discipline a 4.5 year old who truly does not understand the concept of punishment? I don't think he's connecting the dots. I feel kind of guilty because I made a consequence (no tv tomorrow morning) that the nanny is going to have to implement instead of me, but I honestly don't know what else I could have done, and that finally seemed to crack through a little. I'm just so frustrated. He spends timeout screaming at me that I'm not listening to him and that he doesn't like me (it would probably be worse, but he doesn't know the word "hate"). And arguing with me. Timeout lasts about twenty times longer than it should if he would just stop arguing and do what he knows he needs to in order to get out of time out (i.e. acknowledge why he's in time out and apologize for it). Instead he interrupts and argues. And interrupts and argues some more. I feel like I need a parenting intervention. And it's only going to get worse when I start clinical in two weeks. Sigh.

geo~How did I know you would have some research-based logic for annoying assignments? winky.gif Yeah, yeah...it makes sense. Still annoying, though! orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#603 of 775 Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Oy, this has not been a fun day.  The general word is out about my impending move, and I've spent the day fielding texts, phone calls, and facebook messages.  My patients are not happy.  And that's an understatement.  I hope I'm not going to spend the next 5 months explaining and consoling all day long - because I don't think I can survive it.  I had 2 people crying on the phone today - and many, many people haven't heard yet.  I need a family doc fairy to send me a great replacement.   

tjsmama - I'm glad the first day wasn't too bad.  Here's to a great semester!  (imagine me raising a glass!)

RM - sounds like a great run today.

Penelope - yikes, sounds like it a was a rough travel season for your school!

RR - I didn't run all weekend, cause I was on call and tired and feeling sorry for myself.  I ran 5+ yesterday and 4 this morning.  I'm looking to run something fast tomorrow - I feel the need to run hard and hopefully get rid of some excess adrenaline/anxiety.  I also ate crappy for the last few days, and need to get back on the wagon, because I just don't feel good.  Had a really weird cycle this month, none of my usual PMS symptoms, AF 5 days late, and I've just felt full and tired and miserable.  AF finally showed today, so I'm looking forward to feeling better soon I hope.

#604 of 775 Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM

La4--the rash sounds miserable. I hope it's not the chlorine.

1jooj--Last night I dreamed that I was running and stopped by a farm about a mile from my house, where I started talking to someone there and discovered that it was your farm. And then I met you and it was so exciting that there was just a mile between us. In the dream, I was asking how you lived so close by and we'd never figured it out. lol.gif

tjsmama--DH would like you to know that he's never known anyone (students or faculty!) to complain that the intensive program wasn't intensive enough. lol.gif (Yes, we may be laughing at you right now. But in a good we-like-you kind of way.)

And while we're discussing professors, I tormented my students by making them sing tonight. They learned an Iroquois social dance song. And no, I didn't grade them on their performance. There is a method to my madness, but it was still pretty funny when one of the students raised his hand afterward and asked with a concerned look, "is there going to be more singing in this class?" orngtongue.gif

Overall, it's been a super-productive day. Watched my niece this morning, did two loads of laundry, fit in a run while R was at kindergarten, graded papers, baked bread, did some light vacuuming, ran an errand on the way to campus, taught class, helped R with violin practice and it's only midnight. I can still work a little on my article, perhaps squeeze in a quick strength workout and get to bed at a decent time (yeah, I know that probably doesn't sound like a decent time but it's the best I can do with limited daycare).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#605 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Gaye: on school: how do you feel about being a geologist? I bet between Geo and I, we could cobble together a major. We could make it pretty dang intense. (by definition at least one of the classes Geo teaches is intense).  I had to ramp down my expectations when i started teaching and then ramp them down again when I switched to my current employer. Apparently I'm still, "one of the toughest profs at ...."  It is the 10th day of one of my classes: one guy doesn't have the books yet but is griping about the amount of reading. Second day of another class and a woman just emailed me: she's missing the syllabus quiz today can she make it up? Apparently she didn't read the syllabus: no.

Apparently in the last week I have gotten the total short end of the stick on childcare for work and childcare for working out. Couple that with two nights of crummy sleep and I feel a little zombie-like. I can't see where working out will fit in today....gotta squeeze it in there. Perhaps it is a treadmill day (vs. an outdoor ski, which requires more clothing to gather, pack and change into)....

Now: make lunch for the day or vacuum up the wood splinters in my living room? eat.gif no question, make lunch.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#606 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Wendy, the more I think about it the more sensible it (sidealks/planning/safe routes to school, etc) becomes. If more students walk/bike to school the fewer cars at drop off and pick up. Small improvements in drop off will then be magnified by having fewer cars involved. Better crossings would make a huge difference. Sidewalks will help, especially if they are clear. Locally before I do anything else I need to figure out a couple of issues. Our school was built as a walking school but in the past couple of years I feel like the school has made decisions that for discourage walking. I need to figure out the whys of this. I also need to doscover how we finally got the new sidewalk because it was mired in controversy. I want to know who made it possible and how.

My run this morning felt awful. So bad I stopped 2 miles short of goal knowing how bad that would make me feel. I'll fix it tomorrow even if we do get snow. Helen is home sick, not sick enough to sleep, just cranky though she did vomit during the night. Gah, I am cranky. I am floundering around a bit goal-less today. Signing up for races would be the best type of retail therapy.

drjen, I hope you have contat with at least 1 person today who understands what a good move this is for you and that you didn't make your decision without careful thought.

La4, I hope you are feeling better and able to swim.

Gaye, don't complain too loudly or it will get intensve.

kerc, I hope you get a workout in today.

Lisa, I am one that would want to make sure there wouldn't b too much singing involved. redface.gif

Pen, I hope your first day of classes is smoother than the last day of prep.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#607 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

tortuga~How is the job market in your area? I'm already stressing out about job hunting, and I don't graduate until December. And if I hear one more person tell me that I'm not going to have any trouble finding a job because of the "nursing shortage", I may go postal. orngtongue.gif

Yes.  Hearing about the so called nursing shortage while job hunting is enough to make my teeth clench.  Lots of jobs in home health, skilled nursing facilities, and long term care, few hospital jobs.  All want 1-4 years prior experience, ie, no money in their budget to train.  At least in my area, it is important to network excessively to get a hospital job.  I am hoping that I will be hired at the hospital that I completed my semester long clinical partnership at, almost an hour away.  It doesn't help that I am trying to get into OB without working a year in med surg first, but I did my internship in OB, and med surg isn't hiring either. 

Good things about you and your position,

*Dec. grads compete less as way more students graduate May-June. 

*You are an intelligent, non traditional student who understands that being hung over is not grounds for skipping a shift.

*You live in an area with tons and tons of hospitals, even if you get stuck with a yucky cross town drive.

Is there a partnership/internship built into your last term?  Do you know what hospital or specialty you might want to work in? 

I didn't do my partnership at the big medical center 5 miles away that does way more births because they never ever hire into OB/L&D.  Instead I chose to go to the small, 25 bed critical access facility with 200-300 births a year, working at least a third of the time in Med surg, as I know they will hire new grads. 

So...breathe and network!

Still wicked cold here.  Or "snot freezing cold" as the headlines in our local newspaper termed it.  ROFL.  What a Maine headline! 

RR:  planning 4 miles today on the tm.

NRR: get roast in crockpot (says the vegetarian of 17+ years), go to career fair to sprinkle resumes with DH who has been out of work since May, hopefully Sauna, and stalk email for interview/job info. 

Also, I used to go by a g u a c a t e s, but stopped due to a weird family stalking issue.  (Just to give you all a little more context), also had a different user name before that.   Just thought I would share that I really had posted to mdc more than 17 times in the last 9 years.  :)

#608 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 AM

OMG is it tease Gaye day? Sheesh! winky.gif Just kidding.

And too much "oy" and "vey" among Dingos. I hope things begin to smooth out.

Real--I wonder what it really means. biggrinbounce.gif

Posted my goats online last night and got 3 calls right away. bawling.gif Also posted the TM, no calls yet.

I was going to take the day off today, but instead got called in for meetings this AM and projects to take me through the week. I gave a final notice date, because I can see this going on into June if I don't make it stop. So, squeezing in a workout this AM before the office, then likely shipping out some goats tonight. Might sell a car soon too. The plan is to list 1-2 things a day for a while. Tonight, deep-freezes and futon.

#609 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Just wanted to share with my Dingos...if you don't know what Packer fans are really like...I just got a work email to let us all know that the company is assigning the 2011 floating holiday to the day after the Superbowl. Not even kidding.

#610 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Jo, when the Colts played the arch diocese called school for that Monday. My family keeps sending all the outgrown packer wear to my children. I think I could dress all five in nothing but green and gold for a week including outerwear without doing laundry. On the other hand when school calls for a green and gold day they have Notre Dame gear in mind...

When I come back it will be to report race sign up.

#611 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post

Still wicked cold here.  Or "snot freezing cold" as the headlines in our local newspaper termed it.  ROFL.  What a Maine headline! 

So is that warmer or colder than the temperature where your eyelashes freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Wendy, the more I think about it the more sensible it (sidealks/planning/safe routes to school, etc) becomes. If more students walk/bike to school the fewer cars at drop off and pick up. Small improvements in drop off will then be magnified by having fewer cars involved. Better crossings would make a huge difference. Sidewalks will help, especially if they are clear. Locally before I do anything else I need to figure out a couple of issues. Our school was built as a walking school but in the past couple of years I feel like the school has made decisions that for discourage walking. I need to figure out the whys of this. I also need to doscover how we finally got the new sidewalk because it was mired in controversy. I want to know who made it possible and how.

*Yes, good to know the history of the situation.  On sidewalks, talk to the city, start with the city manager's office or maybe the city engineers.  I've seen lots of zingers as to why one should not have sidewalks.

*On making more car friends, often it's a consequence of growing schools or a decline in walking, putting more car pressure on the school.  Often, the symptom is treated (not enough space for cars) rather than the disease (too many cars).

A district or city can launch a SR2S study and get initial funding.  The city needs to sign off on plans.  I'm convinced that without support from the district and each building principal, however, it's more or less a non starter.  I'd start by looking for allies in the school -- wellness committees, safety committees, school councilor, school nurse, PE teacher.  Some are duds and clueless, some are gems.  We've also got a 5th grade teacher who is pushing these ideas hard, which is having a lot of positive effects.  We've found PTO safety committee to be a dud (they're there for face time with the principal, and have no interest in getting out of their warm SUV in the morning), wellness is ok but only sees walking as exercise.  We're educating our principal slowly.

#612 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Hi mamas.

No fm for me this morning, still very blustery and stormy outside. We had a very intense thunderstorm last night, there was a tornado watch (luckily no twisters). I really need to get back into the training groove again; I"ve been fighting a fluey cold all week and haven't managed more than 4.5 since last weekend.

I don't think in the end I'm going to NYC for the race. I want to, but the airfare, plus the logistics with the NY area airports are a little too much for a quick 2 day visit. Plus our end of quarter is that week and there's a perfect 5K race that I can take them to do as the end-race for our Couch to 5K special. I don't know; I haven't made up my mind for sure yet. If the airfares go down below $225 I might be swayed. LOL

I need to buy myself some new threads for spring (getting warmer here already). I want long flowy boho style skirts that I can put with a t-shirt and a cute pair of sandals or mary-jane sneakers for work. Where can I get some of those which a) don't make me look fat (have to be a good cut); and b) are not too expensive? I am going to hit Goodwill but I also need a reliable source, LOL. Ebay has a few Sacred Threads skirts (which is the style I like) but they're a bit pricey. any ideas?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#613 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM

I'm back.  Did kettlebell yesterday and it felt pretty good.  I had a cyst removed from my back last Friday and so had to be careful of the stitches, but wow... I need to get moving.

This morning (in 10 minutes or so) will be getting on the TM to do 20 minutes.  Have to be back on campus in 1hr 15 to teach, then pick up the baby from daycare and kids from the bus (dang early out days).  Have to go up to my office after dh gets off work so I can see patients and get paperwork done.  Might try to get in a second workout tonight while the bigger kids are at religious ed.

Hope the weather warms up for all the dingos in cold zones.  Completely relate to lowered standards and the review situation with start of semester. 

More later. :)

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#614 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Sorry I've been MIA for quite a few days. This Saturday, we lost a 5 month old puppy after an intense, seemingly successful surgery, and I've been beating myself up since. I don't think it was anything I did, but I can't stop thinking/dreaming/fretting about it and haven't been able to get on with my normal life due to the anxiety. I have been running and biking a lot though, hoping it will give me the strength to go back to work with the same veterinarian this Saturday. ::sigh:: This has also made me question whether or not I will make a good doctor in the future. I need to be able to handle loss a little bit more smoothly I think.

Nick - I'm glad you had a nice date and I don't think it's such a bad thing to not care for alcohol/wine.

Penelope - What an awful experience for your student. I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Gaye - Your ski trip sounds awesome. I'm glad you finished your race in one piece and it sounds like you did pretty great, considering smile.gif

JayGee - Congrats on the preschool for your LO! A meetup in July sounds good, but unfortunately, I will either be a) working all weekend, including the 4th or b) upta camp in Oakfield, 6 hours from the border!

Po7: Bummer about the mastitis. Take it easy with the running and nursing. I think many of us know how stressful it can be to accomplish many things while breastfeeding and how that stress than affects our breastfeeding. goodvibes.gif and healing to you!

Plady: Headphones in the water?!

RM: That's a lot of time at the dentist's this week. What little troopers!

La4: Have you tried oil? Lotion make my super-sensitive skin even more sensitive after swimming. I have to repeat that I love my Vitamin E.

searcher: I want to run the half in October in Portland. I haven't signed up yet. I think I will after I complete the c25k and can see myself working up to a half this year. I've never run one before. I think I will sign up for the Beach to Beacon as well if it isn't already filled.

doctorjen: From what I've gathered, I would be pretty bummed to lose you as a doc. Hang in there. Your doing this for the right reasons. hug.gif

AFM: I've asked DH to build me a road bike. He's worked on bikes in the past and I'm pretty excited for this. I did week 4 of c25k over the last 3 days and I've been biking 15-20 miles a day as well. I missed a workout on Saturday due to it being one of the worst days of my life. Before the horrible work day, we ran out of oil and so many other things happened that I don't want to re-live here. Here's hoping for a better weekend! Good news: I've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks, well on my way to my goal!

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#615 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View PostAlso, I used to go by a g u a c a t e s, but stopped due to a weird family stalking issue.  (Just to give you all a little more context), also had a different user name before that.   Just thought I would share that I really had posted to mdc more than 17 times in the last 9 years.  :)

Thank you. I've intended to ask you for a few days now....

Workout schedule right out the window. Dh's grandfather died this morning. Oy. Life will slow down soon, I swear.

#616 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Kerc ~ I'm so sorry for your Dh's loss hug2.gif

MM ~ that sounds like a heartwrenching weekend.  I don't think it's ever easier to watch a young animal lose its life, you just cope with it better.  Congrats on the weight loss!

Nic ~ cut yourself a little slack in the training department.  You just trained for the marathon and need at least a month of taking it easy (not off!)

kerc and geo ~ can I take your geology class winky.gif?  I need a challenge!

FM ~ dropped DD at preschool, went straight to the Y where I walked/ran 3 miles on the indoor track, then took a spin class.  I am good and sweaty!  I'm still coughing a bit with exercise, but feeling a million times better than last week.  I've got a hankering to sign up for a race!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#617 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM

I'm happy to report my day is going reasonably well. My first class, at least. Two more and I have to finish up and print my syllabus for tomorrow's 9:30 class, but basically good. I had students tell me and then discuss their names in lieu of me taking attendence, and it was pretty interesting - a number of adoption stories.

I think I might almost even be done with tomorrow's syllabus.

Still no running to report, sigh.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#618 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Motivated Mama - so sad about the puppy.  I think it is hard to handle loss, and the best of physicians are the ones that aren't all blocked off emotionally.  {{hugs}}  and congrats on the weight loss.

Plady - I'm curious about headphones in the water too!  Do tell.

La4 - I'm with MM on the oil, not lotion... or find a lotion without any alcohols in it.

doctorjen - congrats on the plans.  Always hard to move, to leave patients. I've been sad a few times to lose a doc that I loved with moves.

kerc - sorry to hear about your loss.

Penelope - what class do you teach? 

JayGee - I'd love to take a geology class with geo and kerc too!  Maybe you ladies could regale us with stories.  ;)

I'm all atwitter - Body Worlds is coming back to Chicago (only a 6-7 hour drive!  LOL) and I really want to go see it.  Its going to be there from 3/18 to 9/5... maybe for my summer vacation.

I made it onto the TM for 20 minutes, only walking, and was wishing for more time to keep going. Tomorrow is kettlebell class and I'm going to do some time on the elliptical too.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#619 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM

Hi Dingos

Had a nice 3.5 today hoping to get my long run tomorrow would love to get 12 in, been crazy busy,

NRR So dd1 is in middle school, she is doing well and seems pretty happy these days,  Over the past year she has dropped by a some friends, she is defintely her own person and does have unique interests.  To make a short story long I had arranged for a friend and her daughter to go to an open house at the high school they will be attending together.  Well yesterday my friend called and backed out we are very good friends so I just asked does her daughter not want to go to the open house with mine because it will effect her social status and she said yes.  My heart is broken and so is my friends but she is not one to confront the choices her kids make.  my daughter is not really aware of this.  the two of them used to be really good pals.  DD does not do much socially but seems happy at school and does have a few good pals but they are like her in not initiating getting together.  I glad she is oblivious but I also want to make sure I am doing the right things and supporting her.  The friend who is now dropping her is going down the make-up boy crazy cheerleader path (I have nothing against cheerleaders)  It just hurts.   This Middle school things often feels like the wild west and I have 2 more to go through.  Any insight advice would be great

#620 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM

modmom, this breaks my heart for so any reasons. Rather than go down that road just now, I'll say that I am envious of your solid freindship with the girl's mother as evidenced by th open communication, your daughter's strength and ability to be herself. It is also admirable that the other mother is not forcing her daughter as that probably would not end well for all involved. It would be nice if the other girl was strong enough in her own self to be friends with a wide variety of people across the entire middle school social scene. Dh and I have dicussed how boys and girls handle this time differently. The best thing I can think to say is that there does seem to be more room in high school for the invididual. People have further developed their interests and spend more time spent pursuing them and less time ridculing people with other goals. YMMV.

#621 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Kerc: I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's loss, and for the whole family. hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View PostThis Middle school things often feels like the wild west and I have 2 more to go through.  Any insight advice would be great

hug.gif This is a sad situation. Actually, I'm glad that your dd isn't aware, and I think (based on my experience with DD who is now 14) they don't pick up on the same things that we do. We have had some friend problems over the middle school years, and I try to keep telling her that you can still be friends with someone later, even if you aren't hanging out together right now. Just keep the door open, maybe you guys will find each other again. And if not... maybe fine, too. It's just hard. We hurt for our kids.

MM: wow, 15 - 20 miles a day on the bike!!?? Wow. thumb.gif Actually, I was looking for the bowing I'm-not-worthy smiley, because that seems appropriate here.

JG: glad you are feeling better!

Jo: I wish I could buy your animals. Or the farm. Can you not take the TM with you? It might be nice to be able to run in the house when it gets hot.

DrJen: I'm sorry to hear that you are having to field all the calls from distraught and upset patients. It is a testament to your skills as a doctor! I hope that a great replacement is in the future.

FM: None for the past 2 days. I pulled a muscle in my upper arm and could barely use that arm the whole day yesterday (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). Better today, and it's time for me to get dressed for track. Very windy out today!

On another non-FM-related note, my MIL had surgery yesterday for abdominal issues related to cancer almost 9 years ago. She has done so well over the years, but last spring had a setback involving surgery and now this surgery yesterday. Apparently, things are not good, much blood loss, the desired outcome could not be achieved and things are actually even a bit worse than before. She is not aware yet, since she is in ICU. We are very worried and wish that we could make things better for her, soften the blow of the bad news at least with the hope that something can be done later, but apparently, the prognosis is not good. She is 73, physically very fit and pretty, too. I am worried about her state of mind, really, upon finding out that things did not go as hoped.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#622 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

So is that warmer or colder than the temperature where your eyelashes freeze?

I think that from warmer to colder it is:

Haircicles (hair freezes if wet)

Snot Freezin'

Eyelashcicles

cold.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
 The friend who is now dropping her is going down the make-up boy crazy cheerleader path (I have nothing against cheerleaders)  It just hurts.   This Middle school things often feels like the wild west and I have 2 more to go through.  Any insight advice would be great

I went through this in middle school.  My best friend from the age of 3 told me that she couldn't acknowledge me in the halls or she wouldn't have any friends.  It hurt, but moreso, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that she was willing to let others control her life like that.  I feel grateful that I had parents who encouraged me to be an individual, question things, and think for myself.  We were friends again by high school.  Middle school is an awful awful time.  I got through it by reading, a lot.  Will your dd start high school next year?

Kerc,  I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

MMom, it is hard to be faced with death as a health care provider, but asking, "What did I learn that will help me be a better care provider in the future?" can be a way to help reframe things.  I know I always have to rehash things in my head after participating in a rough birth.

RR:  4.25 miles on the tm

#623 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM

No, no, no...you guys are getting me ALL wrong here! I'm not complaining about things not being intense enough! I'm complaining that we had several hours of wasted class time yesterday and today! I know it's going to ramp up, but seriously...we spent over an hour of OB yesterday going through the syllabus, which wasn't all that bad...but the entire class for Peds was spent going over the syllabus and then with the textbook company rep showing us how to use the "virtual classroom" that we will be doing our workbook assignments from. Today's Peds class was spent with a brief dosage calculation lecture/review and then the exam. That was it. We got out an hour and a half early (NOT complaining). I just kind of feel like we're going to end up cramming a TON of info in to the remaining 10 classes because we really haven't done a darn thing yet in the 2 so far! Trust me, the program is PLENTY intense, as evidenced by the fact that for the next 5 weeks, I have precisely 3 weekdays where I have less than 4 hours of school commitments. The majority are 12 hour clinical shifts or 9 hours on campus!

tortuga~We have our senior integrated practicum (SIP) the second half of our last semester, with 144 hours of clinical. Supposedly this is where we are supposed to request where we would like to work and the area we want to work in, although from what I've heard, our requests may not mean much. I'm not totally sure what I want to do yet. I really, really enjoyed my med-surg I rotation, working on a general surgical floor at the hospital 5 minutes away from my house. I think I may want to do OB or peds, but I'll tell you for sure in a few weeks if I'm still interested. winky.gif I really would love to get into the hospital my med-surg rotation was at. It's close, it's smaller, DS was born there, and it's just a really nice environment. Unless I decide to go for peds, I'll probably request it for my SIP. Also, I totally remember you from before! smile.gif

mm~I totally hear you on dealing with loss. I know I'm going to have to at some point, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm not sure how I'll react. Ugh.

Dmitrizmom~I went to Body Worlds when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with DS. I loved it, but all the walking around nearly killed me. It was awesome, and I will definitely go again if/when it comes back to town!

mel~hug.gif and goodvibes.gif for your MIL.

OB was pretty good this morning. No new information (to me), really, but it was a good review. See, I was one of those women who bought "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and read it cover to cover as soon as we were even getting close to trying to get pregnant. And then did a ridiculous amount of research on EVERYTHING. I really like the instructor we've had so far, although I have a bad feeling that the other one (they team teach) may not be so good. We'll find out on Friday! Peds was, as mentioned before, semi-pointless. I passed my dosage calc exam at 100% on the first try, though, so I'm relieved and happy about that.

rr~A quick lunchtime run with two classmates, about 3 miles. Seriously, though? When am I going to start remember the stupid inhaler?! What's it going to take, a trip to the hospital? I think the asthma is getting a little worse (or I'm still having leftover problems from Sunday)...we ran 3, fairly easy miles, and I had a hard time talking because I couldn't breathe. greensad.gif Must. Remember. Inhaler.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#624 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:

No, no, no...you guys are getting me ALL wrong here! I'm not complaining about things not being intense enough! I'm complaining that we had several hours of wasted class time yesterday and today! I know it's going to ramp up, but seriously...we spent over an hour of OB yesterday going through the syllabus,

Yes,this is not all about you. This is about the instructor receiving multiple emails because people can't/won't/don't read the syllabus. Thus, you are more prepared and or more motivated for success in college than your other nursing students. This is so frustrating to me every semester. I spent monday reading the syllabus, today administering a "survey" of all science classes, and finally got to the material with about 20 minutes to go. Everyone laughed when I said, "So....let's talk about geology now, I think we have 20 minutes."

I'm so done for the week. done done done. Crazy week.

#625 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM

ModMom, hug2.gif I think about my ds this way. Dd too, maybe. Both are a little eccentric in different ways (don't know where that came from wild.gif), have friends but don't do much socially with other kids. Not a lot of invites. Very few, in fact. It's been fine until now but I honestly now have begun to worry about how they will do in an international school setting. Ds more than dd. I hope the HS is big enough that your dd makes some good friends who love her.

Mel, greensad.gif for your MIL. Healing to her.

And kerc, so sorry for your family's loss. candle.gif

RR: 15min on the elliptical, cranking, followed by 15 on the track, hard, and then weights, before work. It was what I could do.

Tomorrow, will work longer and less insanely at the gym.

I sold the TM to a Y friend. They'll be taking it Saturday. Tomorrow AM, I have a kid coming to see the goats. Yes, a human kid. It seems goats are popular with the younger set. Next, the ridiculously stupid plug-in scooters with a 12-mile range per charge. (got them for free, and no, that's not how I'll write the ad.) Dh has also insisted that I introduce myself to all the corporate contacts related to the move, so they can call/email me directly, since he's so hard to get a hold of. So I guess my new job is personal assistant. He's getting two laptops, a blackberry (has never owned a cell phone so this should be fun) and some other fun gadgets.

I also got an unsolicited inquiry about selling the farm. So has dh. In fact, some people are coming Friday to see it. Things are starting to roll...

#626 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Just a quick report... I actually got the second workout in today!  woot!  Doing a happy dance.  Total distance on the TM today: 3.2 miles.  At this rate, I am going to have to reset my goals.

#627 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Quote:

No, no, no...you guys are getting me ALL wrong here! I'm not complaining about things not being intense enough! I'm complaining that we had several hours of wasted class time yesterday and today! I know it's going to ramp up, but seriously...we spent over an hour of OB yesterday going through the syllabus,

Yes,this is not all about you. This is about the instructor receiving multiple emails because people can't/won't/don't read the syllabus. Thus, you are more prepared and or more motivated for success in college than your other nursing students. This is so frustrating to me every semester. I spent monday reading the syllabus, today administering a "survey" of all science classes, and finally got to the material with about 20 minutes to go. Everyone laughed when I said, "So....let's talk about geology now, I think we have 20 minutes."

I'm so done for the week. done done done. Crazy week.

Ah, but see, nursing students (at least those at my school) are most unlike most other college students. We are all super type-A overachievers. Believe me, most of my classmates scrutinize the syllabus and come prepared with questions about it! We're all just kind of floundering right now because we feel like we should have so much more to do right now than we do! NOT complaining, mind you. It's just weird. lol.gif

Remind me of this in a month when I'm dying...bag.gif

And yes, kerc. I'm so sorry for your loss. candle.gifhug.gif

#628 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM

(deep breath) I've lurked on the dingo thread on and off for years, but thought I might try to join finally. I'm Melanie (the other Mel is a Melissa, right?). I've been a life-long swimmer and biker, and took up running several years ago for the sake of short triathlons. Post-kids I rarely get into the pool, and have slowly turned into a runner over the past few years. Mostly in the 5-10 km range, but I'm currently training for my first half Marathon at the end of March.

In my non-running life, I have a 21 month old and a 5 year old daughter, and I work as a nursing instructor. I'm headed into an insane workload for the next 12 weeks, so part of my motivation for joining the thread now is to keep some running accountability when life gets hectic!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#629 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Real--I wonder what it really means. biggrinbounce.gif

I've been wondering that too. I think it means that I wish tjsmama lived a little closer, and also that she owned alpacas or llamas. Two miles out from my house there's a house that has a couple of llamas or alpacas (I'm not close enough to tell how tall they are, but they look like llamas.) When I ran past on Sunday, they'd added some new animals: yak, I think. They've only had the two alpacas/llamas for years, so the new animals were a surprise. At any rate, that's probably how I ended up dreaming about you.

Or maybe I just want a friend who lives really close and runs, knits, and owns animals whose fur can be spun into yarn. Sheepish.gif

tjsmama--not misunderstanding. Just laughing. winky.gif Also, have you thought about moving slightly northwest and taking up a career in animal husbandry? biglaugh.gif

DH and I were just talking about how it is a sprint to the beginning of the semester with faculty meetings and setting up websites and all, so by the time we get to the first class we're like "here's the syllabus, here's who I am, now let's go home early." bag.gif

kerc--so sorry about your DH's grandmother.

Welcome MelW!

Hi and goodvibes.gif to everyone else.

I remembered my big news: J started crawling (finally!). She's been pulling herself up and cruising, and she was able to move around the room via a combination of scooting on her bottom and going forward into a crawling position and edging forward before sitting back down, but nothing that was crawling. So on Monday I was making a mental note to google whether I needed to have her evaluated when she finally did it.

Unfortunately, I do need to make an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist because her heart murmur was a little more worrisome to our pediatrician last month. They just called with the referral today. It's probably nothing--Ruth had one for a long time that finally went away--but better safe than sorry.

Did 4x800 intervals pushing J in the stroller. I really didn't want to do this workout, so I wore my running clothes to kindergarten drop-off so I couldn't weasel out of it. And now I really don't want to finish class prep, but off I go.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#630 of 775 Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM

real~biglaugh.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page