"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG! tortuga I could have written that post! The 7 yo with book 4 under the covers, the frozen blueberries, the crampy foot, my snotty child that till feels god is 3 and my dh is still employed unless he got totally fed up once he got to his office and I am guesing that anything was better than thinking about our 5 yo this morning but our live are running so close today. lol.gif My apologies and I'll try to make the rest of the morning better. orngbiggrin.gif

On the book, I wanted her to give HP a rest and read the Little House series. She is a voracious reader and likes to read series. I thik it has to do with having enough to read. Her teacher and I usually come up with the same books at the same time and she resists us until she comes around. We think we have to get through HP before she will move on. I promised I wouldn't censor and then the poor choices started. I tried the wait until age? route and the obsession set in. After much negotiation and discussion I have settled for voicing why I think a choice is bad and then allowing the books. It is a way to learn about the world without living the bad choices and in the case of dd1 and bad teen lit she discovered it wasn't all that great and moved on of her own accord. This is what we want right? People that can think and make informed choices? It would be nice if she listened but really, I can be the same way. The books by Larsson kept me awake until I finished all three. They really upset me and I couldn't sleep, they gave me flashbacks to bad times. They were so compelling that as I finished one at 2:30AM I bought the next, delivered in just seconds on the kindle. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. shy.gif

On the blueberries, I buy them at Costco, 2 bags at a time. We are down to 1 cup and I want them for me. See above.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM

most of my "thinking" stuff is done. Now I have to get through my day and then my friends are treating me for dinner. Well, they were taking me out for dinner (my bday is Tuesday) and then I didn't have a sitter and kaybee (mdc mama) didn't have a sitter and our dhs are collectively out of town. Our kids get along so I said, "can we do take out at my house? promise me you don't care that I didn't vacuum all week...." I'm so very touched that they are remembering my birthday.

My kids were rock stars this morning. and they got to sleep last night after I explained what work I had to do. (Erin saw a three ring binder I brought home labeled "retention/promotion/tenure" and asked me, "Mama what's tenure?" I told her it means I get to keep my job as long as I want it and explained how it might work, then told her I had a big review coming up next week and I had to put together a portfolio of all my work so far this year and I had to do it last night before I went to sleep.  Not one single peep from her. Highly unusual.

Books: If she likes sci fi: try the secrets of droon series.  Erin asked me this morning about HP and thinks she might check one out today at the school library. I'm with mommajb on this one. But I'm more likely to put something down when it is too scary. I have books on the shelf that have bookmarks halfway through. E knows this, she sees me do it. She also sees me picking up those books and returning to them when I'm ready.

We pick blueberries in summer, I asked my dh to bring in some from the freezer before he left. I didn't tell my kids that though. They are mine mine mine!

off to the salt mines for the day....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Jo ~ I love that quote!

Welcome Widemouthedfrog!!!

Thanks for all of the congrats!  We are excited and nervous (good nervous, of course).  I thought by the time I was ready for a 2nd one I would be a pro.  HAHAHA!  

Go Ali G!!  Val uses sporadicly but won't ask to go on the potty if she's in a diaper.  I let her run around pantless when we are home a lot and then she will use it.  It saves me on washing diapers. ;)

I'm gulping down some ginger tea and then we are off to the YMCA for music and playgroup.  We may be headed to Green Bay afterwards to shop for a business computer for me and get groceries.  I am now a member of my DH's LLC and will be managing finances and doing some writing on the side.  Yay!  

Oh!  I am also planning on ordering this herbal e-course on Valentine's Day and doing it with another friend.  Is anyone else interested in it too?

I will be breaking the prenatal yoga DVD out of the cabinet today and doing that at some point.  OMmmmm! :D

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Tortuga - we just finished reading HP 7 last night.  Ds is 10 and dd1 is 7.  They both loved the entire series.  I was like you as a child and read ahead of my age.  I frequently had books taken away and I would just go find another copy or an equally inappropriate book to read.  I'm not much help, I don't censor much when it comes to books for the kids - when they run across a book that is too scary, they can and have stopped reading.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 AM

JenLove ~ how are you feeling so far?  I have an October baby (well, he's 9, but still...!)

Jo ~ I hope the farm sells quickly.

mommajb ~ it's weird being back where I've lived before.  I've run into lots of people I knew already, which is nice.  I keep seeing people I think I recognize, and then realize they just look like someone from Bloomington LOL!  At least I don't need to learn my way around here like I usually do when we move.  So far the transition has been smooth, although I am having my usual mid-winter issues with feeling depressed.  You'd think I'd expect it by now...

tortuga ~ I have had to censor DS only once so far.  He and I both really like historical fiction and biographies which can be a little too real!  In fact, I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and had nightmares about being in a Japanese POW camp during WW2.  DS has tried to read things like HP and other sci fi/fantasy books, but just doesn't enjoy them.  I don't either to be honest.  We are reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe out loud and everyone is enjoying that though.

DH has a day off today (he works an extra hour every day during the week and gets every other Friday off) so he's taken DD2 to gymnastics and then out running errands all morning.  I'm having a leisurely cup of coffee and then heading to the Y for a run and a swim!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

re book censoring-  I was never censored as a child and I read whatever I wanted.  I started picking up Stephen King novels around 9 years old or so and I read almost exclusively horror for about 10 years. redface.gif    Now I read a lot of different genres.  I would probably encourage more appropriate choices, but not take it as an issue to stand on- as a parent.

I am going to run today, my friend is watching the girls for me.  Then we are grinding grain and making pasta from scratch!  I am pretty excited.  

Yesterday I learned to ice skate.  I am not too sore, but I will need to work up some ankle strength.  It was fun.  Of course, the girls were both better than me in a matter of minutes.  Oh, youth! ROTFLMAO.gif

I am dealing with day 2 of serious exhaustion.  I am not sure why, I don't feel like I'm getting sick.  I slept ok.  I am not any more stressed than I have been the past few months.  Oh, well.

JG- have a great swim! 

Jen- I just got the YogaJournal's "Yoga Step by Step" series.  I borrowed them once, and loved it!  These are my favorite videos by far.  I would love to loan them to you sometime if you are interested.  I promise I will actually mail them off.  whistling.gif

kerc- I hope you have a great birthday!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Swim report ~ none.  It would help if I packed my swimsuit in the bag, wouldn't it?  Doh!  Instead I had a fantastic 4.5 mile walk/run with only 1 mile of that walking and the rest running.  And half of that running was intervals at 5K pace.  I really feel my running legs returning.  I also saw a running/triathlon friend at the Y and it was nice to catch up with her a little bit.  Why is it that that when I'm running, I am invincible!?  Nothing can stop me.  I have plans and dreams and everything seems possible and wonderful and I'm prepared to conquer the world.  But then the endorphins wear off and I'm slogging through life again.  I wish I could make that "runners high" last all day.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Ugh! Had a whole post written and my computer evaporated it!!!

Anyway...condensed version...I deal with the censoring/filtering lit issue also with my oldest dd who is 10 and a voracious and precocious reader. However she does not like the HP or fantasy sci-fi things. She will read the Little House books, although not as avidly as I did when I was her age. Hasn't yet gotten into the (vintage -- only good ones) Nancy Drew or the like. She does like the Narnia series and unfortunately loves the Dear Dumb Diary as well as Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. sigh. Doesn't always read to her reading level but we usually have about 20 books coming home from the library. At her age I read anything and everything I could get my hands on -- the more my mom didn't want me to, the more I wanted to read it. I read a lot of books while babysitting at others' houses. LOL. I am not sure how I feel about this as dd is a) sensitive; and b) I don't want her getting into adult themes before she is really ready to handle them. She self-filters pretty well if I tell her something is very scary or intense, so far.

FM: none today and i need it, but doubt I will get it. Dh is away for 5 days on business. I have a babysitter coming at 5 a.m. tomorrow so I can go to my group run (!) and will have to find ways of getting out the other days. Do people think 10 is old enough to watch her siblings if I am running rings around the neighborhood (1.5 mile loop that goes by my house)? Gah. I probably won't do that but it is tempting. Only other option is hiring a sitter every day to come for an hour or so or going to the Y and using the mill, which I detest.

Back to my students. Silent reading time is over.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Jaygee~I soooo hear you on the runners high.  :)

RR: 7 miles on the TM this morning while watching the biggest loser which is a good thing to run to.  Very motivating. 

NRR: took ds1 who is 10 to his therapy appt. after which therapist asked for a teachers number to call and talk with.  I asked ds1 what about and he said "bullies".  Poor kid. 

Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM

tortuga~ My 5 y.o. is obsessed with Harry Potter (we're on #4 now), but she's not easily scared. I was worried about HP, and also some of the Madeleine L'Engle stuff that she chose, but she remains adamant that she's only afraid of three things in the world: cancer, earthquakes and Dzunukwa. So we avoid books with any of those...

Nick, do you have a park or track where you could run and keep an eye on the kids with the 10 year old "in charge"? I've done some (admittedly very short) runs with the kids playing at the school playground while I run the field.

I did a slow 5K run this morning, and seem to still be working on something funny I did at bootcamp on Tuesday evening. It's really localized, but still a bit achy at the base of my quad, especially when I'm going down stairs. I'm blaming the squats. Don't think I'll be doing bootcamp tonight, though... I think the run and a bit of stretching after may have helped, though.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM

JayGee ~ Well it's still REALLY early in my pregnancy, so I feel fine.  Minus my headcold.  

Nemesis ~ Oh I would love to borrow those!  Do you have a way to burn them?  Or if you mail them here, I can burn them and mail them right back.  That would be lovely!  Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Nick ~ Is the gym ever open for kids' playtime?  Then you could run around the gym while they play too.  Not much better than the dreadmill but a little. :P

Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Nemesis - I did the same thing with the horror as a child. I didn't start with Stephen King though. I started with Christopher Pike (The Last Vampire series), The Vampire Diaries (you know, the one they turned into a TV show now eyesroll.gif), John Saul, then Stephen King (pretty much all of them). When I was in elementary school, it was all about Sweet Valley High lol.gif But now that you all mention it, I remember reading Narnia and the like as well. I don't think that books shaped me as a person, but rather who I was influenced what I read, so I don't think that I will limit what my children can read, so long as it's not R rated.

I attempted a short run today and it ended up being VERY short, like 1 mile. I am exhausted, my shins hurt, and my body told me to quit it today and take a break. So here I am.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Hey there, sorry for a drive-by post... but I just left our family dinner table, mad, plate untouched, and now I am in my office feeling like I need a good cry. I just feel so unappreciated by my family - well, not really the family but my husband and a 14 yo DD who just won't help out. I know it is my own shortcoming as a parent that lets this happen, but it hurts me nonetheless. And I guess I am just mad at my DH that he sits there and does ... nothing... while the plans* that I thought we had formed as a family go forgotten. I feel rotten and just wish that I could take my two little ones and cuddle and leave those two to watch tv together or whatever they deem to be a worthwhile pastime.

*I should clarify that DH and I had decided that we all spend the pre-dinner hour doing family projects (e.g. laundry, picking up, helping with dinner, NOT gameboy, television, computer games, etc.).

Vent over. Thanks for listening.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Mel~ I'm so in the same place right now minus the teen.  I told DH it's almost easier with him gone... one less person to take care of and pick up after. greensad.gif  I cooked for an hour and cleaned up the kitchen and did dishes after while he watched videos online, read, and listened to podcasts.  All while V needed lots of attention.  Sometimes I'm just so done!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

you two are making me very happy to be single : )

Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Jen, thank you so much for the commiseration! And I haven't even congratulated you yet!!! bag.gif 

Let me fix that right now...

For you: flowersforyou.gif and for big sister Val:   love.gif   This is so exciting. And a time to be pampered and treated with lots of TLC. hug2.gif How are you feeling, by the way?? I was always so tired during the first tri.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

lol.gif Seriously. But I hate lawn work.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Quote:

that car repair  and opening jars

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Mel~ I am sorry you are delaying with that. As a mom of six kids I find myself in that same situation on occasion.

As moms we are driven to care about our families and have a desire to take care of all of the functioning of the household, and most of the time this things don't register with the kids or hubby as important. It's hard when not everyone has the same priorities.

Evenings can be hectic and difficult when not everyone is on the same page. One thing that helps me is that I prepare dinner most nights. I do everything I can to pick up after myself in the kitchen as I cook. Once dinner is served, I am off. I eat and enjoy my evening. Dish duty gets rotated between the 3 oldest. My 7yo is in charge of cleaning the table. Then just before everyone heads to bed the kids all do a sweep through the main areas of the house to pick up after themselves. Having that time each evening where the someone else is in charge of the cleaning helps me to feel appreciated and gives me time to decompress.

I hope you can find a solution to your troubles.....you aren't alone.

RR: the baby is finally better, and my mastitis cleared up. I think I got what the baby had. I have some nasty chest congestion. I have taken off from running since Wednesday to be nice to my body. Hopefully I can get a run in tomorrow. Still feeling like I am getting closer and closer to really running again!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Mel--that's awful. I get so frustrated when I think DH and I have agreed on a plan (as in, he told me he agreed) and then when I'm expecting him to back me up in the situation, he doesn't (and when confronted later, he'll tell me he didn't really agree but didn't want to say anything during the discussion. Seriously?!? Could he be any more passive-aggressive?) irked.gif

On books: I'd be inclined to either make suggestions for some mystery series that might be more appropriate than HP or let it go. When I was young, I loved the Three Investigators Series by Robert Arthur. The first one is The Secret of Terror Castle. I don't remember reading stuff that was too scary back then (or that seemed too scary to me), but I did read the Wrinkle in Time books when I was probably 8 and didn't find those to be scary or inappropriate. Kids will likely self-censor if it gets to be too much--and while I didn't need to do it with books, I do remember realizing that I could never, ever watch Lassie movies or any movie in which a dog gets hurt.

It was sunny, beautiful and like 67 here so I took J in the jogger and ran a couple of errands before kindergarten pickup. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the 50s so I'm hoping to fit in a bike ride to the local garden center for seeds.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Quote:

See, if you live in a condo, you don't have that problem. Add in a helpful Home Depot employee on occasion, and life is pretty good. orngtongue.gif

mel~hug.gif

books~I was definitely a precocious reader. I always steered clear of scary stuff, though. My mother's harlequin romances, on the other hand...bag.gif I'm pretty sure I read my first one somewhere around third or fourth grade. I was way too young to understand a lot of it, but it didn't stop me from devouring them. I borrowed and read the entire North and South series by sixth grade. Looking back, I'm a little surprised that the librarian (hello, small town library) never said anything about their appropriateness!

Well, the first week of frontloading is done, and it was shockingly easy. Leaving me wondering when it's going to get crazy. Oh wait, maybe next week when I have orientation Monday, class Tues/Wed, orientation Thurs, and class on Friday. orngtongue.gif We had a guest lecturer no show for peds today, so we got out at 3:30 again. Which was kind of fantastic, except for the part where we're supposed to be learning and paying a lot of money for the privilege of it...

We had another classmate join us for our lunchtime run today. Who claimed she was slow. A "snail", I believe she termed herself. I call major BS on that one...she kicked my butt! Girl took off like a bat out of hell, and I could barely keep up. In Vibrams, no less! At our speedy pace, we had time to add another half mile in, so got about 3.5 in.

Tomorrow morning I attempt 10...it could be ugly. Especially given that I really don't want to do it!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

It was sunny, beautiful and like 67 here so I took J in the jogger and ran a couple of errands before kindergarten pickup. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the 50s so I'm hoping to fit in a bike ride to the local garden center for seeds.

Man, I'm just imagining how nice that must be. Enjoy it!

Mel, I'm sorry your dh is letting you down. It struck me a while back that so much of that is male privilage - at least in my marriage. My dh doesn't take seriously the obligation to fairly divide the tasks of the household, because he feels on some deep primal level entitled to enjoy the labor of women (ie, me) while he rests. Occasionally I remind him of his obligations to participate as an equal partner. In a loud voice.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM

With the snow days and my DS being sick so often, I haven't been around much lately.  This week I'll get back on track!

JenLove--Congratulations!  You must be so excited.  I found that having the second baby was way easier than the first.  Even though you might not feel like an expert, it's amazing how many tricks you've stored away that hopefully will keep you from floundering too much.  I hope you'll have an absolutely calm and peaceful pregnancy and birth.

On book censoring--my kids aren't quite old enough yet--DD is six and just starting to read independently and DS is almost five and not reading yet.  When I was a kid, there were tons of books lying around that I got into.  I read far more about sex than I should have.  "Flowers in the Attic" and its sequels were especially illuminating.  I also read a lot of scary stuff--every Christopher Pike book, some Dean Koontz, and lots of Stephen King.  I used to (and still do, actually) simply skim over parts that were too intense, or skip entire pages at a time.  Often after I've finished the book I then go back and read a little bit of the skipped part, to see if I can handle it, and then maybe a little bit more.  I remember reading "Firestarter" when I was about the same age as the main character (8 years old), and there were parts of that book I didn't go back to until years later.  I was very good at self-censoring.

My kids are not sensitive like I was, though.  They've never complained of nightmares, and haven't ever been scared by anything they've read, seen, or heard about in books or on TV.  Until I figure out what their limits are, it's hard to think of how I would censor.

I'm sorry about the DH issues out there.  I've been like that a lot from time to time, although at the moment DH is on the upswing for some reason.  After ten years of marriage, he's finally decided he'll pick his dirty clothes off the floor of our bedroom and put them in the laundry (!) (?).  Tonight while I was working he took the kids to the Winterfest fair at their school, without even complaining, and then came home and ran the dishwasher.  He may have even started a load of laundry going.  This is madness.  I'll have to do my best to be appreciative while it lasts.

Have a good night!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Man, I'm just imagining how nice that must be. Enjoy it!

Mel, I'm sorry your dh is letting you down. It struck me a while back that so much of that is male privilage - at least in my marriage. My dh doesn't take seriously the obligation to fairly divide the tasks of the household, because he feels on some deep primal level entitled to enjoy the labor of women (ie, me) while he rests. Occasionally I remind him of his obligations to participate as an equal partner. In a loud voice.

Eh, yes. On the loud voice that is. rant.gif <--- me yelling.

I am in a very pissy mood. I woke up at 4:20 a.m. because I HIRED A BABYSITTER to come at 5 so I could join my club for a long run. BABYSITTER DID NOT SHOW. I am sitting here in my running clothes, hepped on caffeine (so cannot go back to sleep) and NO SITTER and NO RUN.

I would like to have a temper tantrum. Dh is away for 5 days. There is no way I can run 9 miles on a track for crying out loud. Much less a treadmill, on which I seem to have a 3-mile expiration date no matter how good shape I'm in.

hopmad.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Nic-That would make me want to have a temper tantrum too.  Is this a sitter you have used before?

mjb-too funny about our parallel lives!  We also buy blueberries by the giant bag.

Reading:  Thanks for all the stories, suggestions, and infinite dingo wisdom.  I think I can back off on this issue and re-address it if dd starts being scared.  She loves series and has loved Secrets of Droon, The Sisters Grimm, Fairy Realm, and The Princess Tales (Gail Levine), HP just seems much darker to me.  Maybe it is because I read the books as an adult.  As a precocious reader myself, I do remember skimming parts in books that were "boring" or I didn't fully understand (or want to), thanks for reminding me of this.  An example:  I read Animal Farm by George Orwell at age 9, and totally thought it was just a (boring) story about animals.  I had a much different appreciation reading the book again in high school.  At least she isn't wanting to read Harlequin romances at age 7.  orngtongue.gif  Or VC Andrews books (I read them all at age ten, Yikes!)

Dhs:  sounds familiar.  I am nodding to both the male entitlement and the agreeing to something, then saying that he didn't actually agree with me.  sigh.  Also the needy children who are ignored in favor of email/google news/job hunting.  I am highly supportive of job hunting, but does it have to be done around dinnertime?  Couldn't one have a more "normal" workday, and get up before noon in order to search for a job?  Then one, perhaps, would not need to do so at dinnertime. 

RR:  my foot has remained sore, so I did 30 min in the pool yesterday, and sauna after.  I love the sauna.

Goals for the day:  enlist family to work on picking up the house, then maybe a reward of going to the rec center, meal planning for the week, read some seed catalogs and dream about spring.flowersforyou.gif

Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Mel hug.gif Sorry your DH and DD are acting that way and hope it improves soon. Change takes time.

Nick - I would be so pissed. As it is, this morning, I couldn't get any exercise in, i.e. home stationary bike, because the house was an absolute disaster and I needed to clean before the babysitter comes and I head off for my 12 hour day. I'm just now sitting down to some coffee and I still don't have me or the kids dressed yet. Gotta leave in half an hour!

And I'm dreading my 12 hour day. I LOVE my job, but after the puppy death last weekend, I'm feeling a little bit crappy.

The only thing I ask DH to do is dishes everyday for sure. And if he's around, I ask of more, which he does well. He puts the kids to bed in the evenings that he's home too. We're not like other families though. As a mother, I tend to worry more and have higher standards than DH when it comes to the house and children, but other than that, we're pretty much role reversal. The plan was always for him to be home and me to continue with school post children to hopefully become a doctor someday. He was home mostly until the last year or so, after Rayne's heart surgery when I decided to be home. I take care of the finances and I prefer to do the yardwork for the exercise. So you can see, we're a little bit different redface.gif

And on the reading front, I'm a little bit of a weirdo too. When I was younger, and still now, I've enjoyed those nightmarish dreams that don't involve any of my family. I often dream in the third person and I'm not even part of my dreams. In fact, no one I know is. I was writing "chapter" books in third grade - horror, at that. I think books give a lot of creative spark and writing was the way I coped with the scary stuff.

I am so going to miss not exercising today. Cleaning house just doesn't cut it.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Mel ~ A friend of mine shared how her and her dh handle tasks around the house.  She said she has offered to keep on top of chores the best she can but they devote a time in the evening to all work together.  This seems like the route we will be going.  DH has 'fessed up that he doesn't manage his time well.  That, at the least, made me feel better.

Nic ~ Oh no!!!!  I'm so sorry, mama.  

L4 ~ Thank you so much! 

I did my prenatal yoga dvd last night before bed with Val and explained to her that if I get to do this often it will make things better for mama and baby and her... she then lifted my shirt and kissed and jabbered to my belly.  Melt.my.heart.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM

JenLove ~ that is so sweet!  I always start feeling crappy around 10 dpo when I'm pregnant!  Seriously, if I'm exhausted and nauseous, even if my period isn't due for a couple more days, it's time for a test!

Mel ~ grouphug.gif Sorry your DH isn't "getting it".  My DH can go to the other extreme when it comes to chores.  He likes the house totally uncluttered, perfectly clean and very organized.  Not feasible with three children running around.  He can get very frustrated when he's in one of his "house must be perfect" modes.  I used to be a lot more like him when we met, but then I adapted to the reality of life with children!  Still, I often get a vibe from him that he liked me a lot more when I was as OCD as he is!

DD1 slept over at a friend's house last night (across the cul de sac).  That child amazes me ~ we've lived here for 4 weeks and she's already getting sleepover invitations!  She certainly didn't get her outgoing and social personality from me!  My goal for today is to set up my bike on the trainer and ride.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Nick: That sucks!!! OMG, I would have been livid.

Gaye: lol.gif at the little girl reading Barbara Cartland romances. Awesome. I will have to share that with my (retired librarian) mom. She will get such a kick out of it.

La4: You are right about showing appreciation to let them know we notice the good things. And don't ask why, just enjoy!

Penelope: Entitlement, yeah, that definitely has something to do with it. And I suppose I have my entitlement moments, since I do expect certain things to be in his realm of responsibility. Anything that involves a shovel or moving piles of dirt around? His job. You know, what really irks me, though, is seeing the entitlement thing in the kids. Last night, I just had a lightbulb *what-am-I-teaching-my-children* moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post.. she then lifted my shirt and kissed and jabbered to my belly. 

happytears.gif That is really sweet. This will be a very exciting time for her, too.

Thanks for all the ideas, laughs and just listening. I feel better today (not 100%, but better) and both DD and DH are going out of their ways to be helpful.

DH and I are opposites in that it takes a long, slow ramp-up of events to get me irritated, but then I am mad for a loooong time. He will raise his voice at the drop of a hat, but then that was it. He is done and all is fine again. So, for me, it took lots to get me where I am, and it is going to take some talking and changing things to get me back down again.

Po7, I do like the idea of having the kids take turns cleaning up after dinner. This is exactly what we did in my family when I was a kid, and although I'm sure I complained a lot at the time, it worked really well.

My point in all this is that everyone should be involved in some kind of household work at least once a day. I think it is important to work for the good of the family, even for the littlest of kids. But that has really fallen by the wayside in past months. To be honest with myself, I really let it slide while I was in Germany with the kids and haven't been consistent about it since we have been home. So... a year and a half?

And thanks, too, for the good vibes re: my MIL. We haven't heard any updates lately, so it is up to DH to call his dad, who is very hard of hearing, so phone calls are sometimes very frustrating. Provided that he even hears the phone ring. eyesroll.gif He is one of those stubborn guys who refuses to get a hearing aid even though he desperately needs one.

Oh yeah, FM! Got up at 7:45 to run with DH. It was supposed to be 3.5 miles, but he took a shortcut after a pitstop. He said he would catch up to me, and then when I got back to the main road, there he was about a quarter of a mile ahead of me! So I have the moral victory of having run 3.75 today, while he only got 3.25. So there.

(can you tell I'm still holding a tiny grudge?)

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Okay, well...babysitter just called and said she mistakenly set her alarm for 4 pm instead of 4 am. Since I have done that before, I guess I can't be too pissed *at* her although I'm still aggravated.

I did go to the Y and do a speed 4 mile tempo workout so at least I burned off some of the caffeine and mad energy. On the other hand, I was further pushed over the pissy edge by an old geezer who, 2.5 miles into my workout when I'm ramped up to 9:15 miles on a 1% incline and burning the hell out of the 'mill, taps me on the shoulder and insists that he must have THAT treadmill at THAT moment because it was 9 a.m. and he was signed up for it at 9 a.m. despite the presence of, oh, about 14 empty treadmills right in a row next to me.

irked.gif

But really, how can you yell at an old man at the Y?

I just took myself off the 'mill (grumbling) and finished the last 1.5 on the indoor track. I think it was 1.5. It might have been a bit more because I lost count at one point and just started at a number of laps I knew I had already done. I need a lapcounter or something. Do they have those? At 12 laps to the mile it seems to be somewhat beyond my brain function to keep an accurate count.

Okay so I am hoping I can arrange to get the sitter tomorrow at least to get my 9 in. It won't be with my club but it will be at least in daylight.

I am also really, really hoping to get some shopping for ME done. I am not sure how I am going to swing it but I need to hit Goodwill and look for some cute skirts for warmer weather, and also Target or somewhere to get some running/athletic clothes I can wear at school that are not too tight/short for my running club.

And guess what? The race director of the 5K I want my students to do at the end of the program agreed to let us run as a team and also to discount our race entries by half, basically just to their cost. Cool, right?! thumb.gif  The school's executive director is quite excited about it and wants me to consider coaching a nascent cross country team next year. Ummm...I don't think I'm coach material but I guess I'd have to give that a go if asked, as there are no teams at this school and no one else remotely interested in such an activity. But plenty of kids who want it. Hmmm.

User Tag List