"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#721 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good Morning!  The much-anticipated ice storm is looking more and more like rain.  Yay!  We'll see about tomorrow, but school is a go for today so far.

lab ~ I read your post about your son and pushing your son to run when he's injured sounds like a bad idea.  I am all for pushing athletes when they don't WANT to run, or are sore from a hard effort, but if they have a true injury (as your son's doctor indicated), making them to continue training at the exact same intensity level is a recipe for serious injury.  Of course, my kids are all still at the recreational level in sports, so this is just my personal opinion, not based on any experience or fact!  That said, pop in to the Dingo thread any time.  There are plenty of Dingos who are not the extra-prolific posters some of us (ahem...) are! 

Yesterday I swam with the tri club at the Y.  50x50yds on the 1:00.  Kill me.  Now.  My intervals were more like on the 1:15 just so I could catch my breath.  I was the second slowest swimmer in the slow lane.  And my shoulders are really sore this morning!  Afterwards, DH and the kids met me for an hour of open swim which was a blast!  DD2 was swimming farther by herself than she did all summer long and seems to have forgotten her paralyzing fear of the filter, pool lines, etc.  Thank Goodness!  After tri club, one of the other women (from a faster lane) was looking for people to run long with her after swimming each Sunday.  She's said her runs would start around 45 minutes, but work up to 2 hours in prep for a Half Ironman.  I figured, I could run for 45 minutes.  Then I asked about pace.  No, I cannot run 45 minutes at a sub-8:00m/m! 

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#722 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 AM

Hi Lab!

I don't have experience with an athlete at that level, but as a parent, I think I would try to reach some kind of an understanding with the coach. You really have your DS's long-term best interests in mind, and the coach probably more short-term. I would talk to him and defer to the sports doctor - ask him what limits you all could implement (like not running 2 events, taking seasons off, etc.).

I get a little bit of a funny feeling about all the texting, too. It's just too chummy for my taste, but maybe it's ok and I am just a bit paranoid.

Whether the coach is po'ed at you for getting involved, well, that is really his choice/problem, right? You aren't attacking him, just advocating for your DS.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#723 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 AM

Urg. My post last night was full of personals but it didn't post. Maybe I hit preview instead of post?

I have been trying to run 2 days, take off a day for my shorter runs but I ran 10 then 5 and now I have funny ache in my foot. I lifted this morning early. Linus needed a kleenex at 4:30 this morning so bady that he had me, his father and two of his sisters up trying to solve the problem. After being handed a kleenex he wdded it up in his fist and went back to sleep. I went to the gym.

I have a plethora of mundane isue hapening in my life and if it mid-winter. 'Nuff said.

Lab, my oldest isn't a superb athlete but is very 'coachable' so I cannot offer much in the way of BTDT or actual expertise. I would keep a very close eye on your son and be careful about working through injuries. My son ran CC on a broken foot this fall in an effort to please his coach. He skipped a meeting with the trainer to get on the bus for the meet. (more story here) If you have hcp you trust and can communicate with I would use those resources when you want to pull him back. (It is the route I had to take.) It is a bit passive aggressive with the coach but unless there is a specific problem and you have an idea of the resolution you are seeking I don't know how productive a 'conversation' would be. With regards to the texting the coach (and you) should make yourself aware of your state's high school athletic associations rules regarding athlete-coach communication, this may be covered.

I love my children but if mornings don't get better or if we do have a snow day on Wednesday I will scream and run away though my loop usually brings me back home. lol.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#724 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM

Wow.  I had a lot said, but my computer keeps shutting down.  Can Macs get virus type things?  We recently had a new hard drive put in (2nd in less than a year) with Snow leopard (I think).  I am so not a Mac Person.  I am considering unplugging the Mac and setting my crappy pc laptop up instead.  Grrrrrrrrr. 

Lab:  I had read your other post.  What stood out to me was the seemingly inappropriate texting.  I may be hopelessly old fashioned, but it seems like a blurring of boundaries.

Jo:  What exciting changes!  I am glad your neighbors want the sheep.  I still feel sad about letting my herd of cows go, and it was 3 + years ago. 

Jaygee, glad the ice is supposed to miss you!  Growing up in Montana snow driving doesn't really bother me (I go very very slow), however ice totally freaks me out! 

Another question for the collective dingo wisdom:  Do you require your children to (at the very least) try the food on their plates?  My girls are mostly not picky eaters.  They will eat relatively spicy food and a variety of vegetables.  However, it takes quite a lot of coaxing (threatening) to get them to try the food on their plates at dinnertime if it is anything other than pasta/mac'n cheese/ thai takeout.  This seems to get way worse in direct proportion to the time they spend eating around other children their age, as in, "Nothing green shall pass my lips".  Dh wants them to clean their plates as we don't have food to waste.  I want them to at least try everything on their plates, a real try, not a strand or shred of whatever.  They often feed off each others' behavior, complete with pretending to spit out food.  At this point I often send them away from the table because however you feel about the food on your plate, spitting and pretending to be sick are not an option.  This results in N, almost 5, having a total meltdown at bedtime because she is hungry.  Little dd also has texture issues, which I try to be sensitive about.  I feel locked in this power struggle.  Any thoughts?

RR:  either pool or running 3 today.  The foot is mostly feeling better, but since I have no idea what I did to it, I am a little hesitant to run on it until it is all the way better.  Plus, if I go for the pool I can Sauna! 

#725 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 AM
bec

Lab - I agree with Mel on the advocacy and goals.  It makes sense to take one season lighter.  Athletes do it at all levels, but I think it is more critical for the elite level athletes.  Deferring to the sports doctor is probably the best way to maintain that neutrality.  You are just passing on the message, so to speak.  As far as the texting, here's my take.  Maybe it is just that he communicates better via writing.  But, I wonder if it isn't also an attempt to really connect with his students.  Teens use texting to as a primary means of communication.  I think, 10 years ago, it may have gone over to a creepy level, but I don't think that is the case today.  Just my thoughts!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#726 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 AM
lab

Thanks so much you guys!  I love love love this group.  I just can't ever keep up....

Yeah - I think I'm okay with the texting.  Example:  The day ds told coach he had an injury, Coach instantly flipped and actually yelled at ds.  He kept saying 'You're fine.'  He actually got mad.  Then he emailed me to confirm that ds couldn't run.  So the next day Coach texted ds and apologized and told him how grateful he was every day to be able to coach a kid with ds' talent.  I really think the guy just communicates much better this way.  He's very low key and non confrontational.  Which is why ds works so well with him.  Coach gives the kids respect and treats them as equals (unless they are injured and then he can't cope!).   I need to stop worrying so much.    Watching ds run is really hard for me.   To see him push himself to those limits really makes me worry.  But I'm excited I don't have to pay for college!!!!  LOL!!!!     Oh - as an aside - several kids on the team are sort of training themselves this summer.  They aren't coming to summer practices for XC and plan to do their own thing because the workouts are too hard on their bodies....  I'm taking all this in and focusing on ds's health. Next year I will put my foot down with winter track.  He says he did it to stay conditioned for spring track .......

Tortuga - I don't have picky eaters at all.....  Here's what I used to do:    Everyone got small portions of each food and then we ate without saying anything or commenting.  We didn't encourage anyone to eat or not eat.  It was just whatever.....  Nobody had to try anything if they didn't want to.  Sometimes I would encourage them to try (and would bring up green eggs and ham) a new food.  But I have read (as I'm sure you have) that you have to offer a food around 10 times before a kid will like it and try it.   I also didn't feed them anything else after dinner.  If they didn't eat dinner - they didn't eat again until breakfast.  Mind you, my kids were going to bed around 7 pm so they didn't get a chance to get hungry again.  The point is that we didn't make a big deal out of anything.    I wouldn't serve mac and cheese if that is all they will eat.  Seriously....sounds like they are set up to crave carbs.  What is a protein they like?  Oh - and I totally get the texture thing.  My daughter went through a phase where she stopped eating chicken all together.  She couldn't take that texture in her mouth. She was around 2 I think.  It wasn't a big deal, but I offered enough at a meal that it was okay.  And my son (13) has been a vegetarian since he was 2.  I guess I'm saying that you can respect their choices without it being a power struggle.  Only eating mac and cheese and thai food is not okay.  Of course kids only want what they want.   Offer enough choices at dinner they have options. Talk to them about what their mouth likes and what their bodies like.  Two different things.  Talk to them about making healthy choices for their bodies.    And it is not the end of the world if they are hungry. Makes them great eaters!  Cut out late afternoon snacks and grazing an hour before dinner so they are actually hungry when they sit down.   Good luck!   The worrying about doing the right thing NEVER ends...... 

jaygee - what a great opportunity to run on Sundays!  Any chance the lady will slow her pace?  I would love to have a running buddy who could run at that pace.  The grass is always greener huh? 

Sorry to you ladies that are dealing with snow and ice.  It was 73 yesterday at my house!  I am so ready for running in shorts!

Now I'm gonna try to keep up!!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds16

#727 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 AM

joy.gif Nick - you should definitely be a xc coach wink1.gif

Bec - Two. More. Weeks. You can do it! Bummer about your daughters' school.

Maybe I should put my "thick" husky on a tm...

Jo - joy.gif to all the good news with your house and farm!

lab - My short thought is that if your son is positive, then everything should be fine. It's a coach's job to push athlete's to perform their best. I think if he was yelling at him during the 2-mile, he was probably doing it because he believed your son was conditioned enough to handle it. In the realm of injury, what counts is that your son took the time off that he needed. You, his coach, his doctor, and most importantly, him, are all taking an active role. With that many hands in the pot, I think that he will do just fine. From your post, I don't think the coach sounds threatening in the least.

tortuga - As far as meal times go in my family, it depends on the child. DD(5) is required to at least try everything before she has seconds of anything. I don't enforce this rule for DS(3) who has spd. I feed him whatever he will eat and I am currently working on keeping him out of the fridge, where he takes out food and wastes it on the dog, floor, etc. DD2(2) is still very young and not a picky eater, so now problems there.

RR: I did the first two days of week 5 c25k yesterday and today. I also bike 13.5 miles yesterday and 16.25 today (hills on the stationary). I've lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks and I'm feeling pretty good about myself orngbiggrin.gif I think that I'm definitely going to sign up for the Beach to Beacon (10k) in August. This race fills up in a matter of seconds. Last time I ran it, I was 20 weeks pregnant with DD2 and VERY slow. I also want to do the Maine Half Marathon in October. Once I've finished the c25k, I plan to run maintenance for a month, then work on my 5k speed for 2 months, then spend 2 months preparing for the 10k. After the 10k, I'll have 2 months to work up to a half marathon. Feasible?

NRR: DD and DS are in the Head Start pre-K program. I bring them there every morning at 8:30. Sometimes I stay maybe 30 minutes with DD2 while she plays quietly and the older kids are eating breakfast. Today, the teacher in my son's classroom, which is separated by a gate, let me know that R can no longer stay because it is a liability. It's not like I'm just leaving her there irked.gif I get it, but it still irks me.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#728 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
bec

MM - I have to laugh, because I'm thinking, 2 more weeks!  I'm going to DIE! 

Lab - We do a similar thing with the food,and my kids are pretty good eaters (at 5, 7, and almost 10).  When my oldest was a toddler, my doctor told me if they had one balanced meal out of 6, that was pretty good.  That made me a lot more laid back about food!  There are some items (carbs mostly) that I don't offer until after they have had other foods, but that's about as far as I go to restricting.  I also don't have much around that is not a good choice.

RR: 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym.  I'm having a small tendonitis flare up, so am going to baby the leg.  I did the 2 in 21ish minutes, and then did 40 minutes of other cardio (rowing, bike and stair stepper).  It felt really good!

Now, off to feed little girls lunch, and then to the school to take more pictures!  This thing NEVER ends!

#729 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
lab

Nick - just read that you are going to be a xc coach!!  That is wonderful news.  Go for it.  It is so rewarding.  I have been 'assistant' coaching the middle school xc team for about 5 or 6 years now.  I love it.  Love the kids.  Love running.  It's all so good.  The High School coach asked me at the end of last season if I would take on the official assistant coach at the hs for MONEY!   Hot dog!  I feel bad leaving my friend with the middle schoolers - but that was always on a volunteer basis.....

Motivated M - I love your avatar.  That is so cool and sweet!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds16

#730 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Good afternoon!

I ran this morning on the treadmill at the gym; I'm too scared to try the pool again!  I don't want to confirm my allergy and be crushed.  It was a decent four miles, although I started out too fast because there were other people on the other treadmills and I got competitive.  Now, almost five hours later, I'm nursing an over-exertion headache and being snippy with DS.

Lab--I'd be leery of your son's overtraining.  He still has one more year of high school, and if he has a major injury, the scouts will stop looking at him.  I'd be concerned that the coach is just looking to collect the glory of coaching a record-breaker, without being concerned enough about your DS's ability to maintain his future fitness.  I was not at ALL an elite athlete in high school, yet by running cross-country and winter track and playing tennis for four years, I managed to wear away almost all of the cartilage under my kneecaps, which means I've been plagued by knee problems as an adult.  I feel as though if I'd been training harder, I would have done even more damage.  I'd definitely recommend getting an outside sports doctor to give an opinion about training.  And hooray about the records and the scholarship opportunities!

On eating--my DD is six and extremely picky.  There are a couple of fruits and vegetables she'll eat, and chicken cooked certain ways.  Mostly she loves carbs, which I frown on in the quantities she'd like.  In order to handle it, I usually tell her that before she has the carby food she wants for a snack (crackers, toast, sandwich), she needs to choose a fruit or vegetable to eat.  At dinner our policy is that we each get a portion of each of the foods.  For example, chicken, peppers, cheese, and a tortilla.  DD eats her tortilla first, but if she wants a second one, she then has to eat the other things on her plate OR come up with a suitable alternative, like getting herself an apple with peanut butter and eating that.  We don't force food as a general rule, but I have no problem with requiring my kids to eat a fruit or vegetable (of their choice) before they get more of something junkier.  I don't make my kids try things, because I can't imagine how horrified I'd be if someone told me I HAD to put a mushroom or onion in my mouth.  I don't want my kids' memories of dinnertime to be clouded by being made to eat things they found that distasteful.

So right now I'm stressing out.  We are flying from Boston to Florida on February 12, and DH has just realized that his license has expired.  duh.gif  We're going to the RMV to renew it on Thursday, but there's a chance his new ID won't arrive in time to board the plane.  What will happen?  Will they tell him he can't go on vacation?  I just talked to the airline, who directed me to the TSA website but also told me that we should plan on being at the airport three hours early and bringing any "ID related documents" with us.  So I guess the expired ID, plus confirmation that he's applied for a new one?  Social security card?  Birth certificate?  I feel like this sort of frantic last-minute thing frequently happens with DH.  And if I hadn't been trying to renew his car's registration last week, we wouldn't have known at all.  If he didn't have two unpaid parking tickets from 1990 and 1998 tagged on his ID, things might have moved along faster, too.  At least we're staying with my parents in Florida, so if TSA boots DH off the plane, I'll have someone to help me out with the kids while I'm lying on the beach.  orngtongue.gif

#731 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
bec

La - Do they not print up his license on the spot?  Does he have a passport?  Or any other picture id?  What about bringing his expired license, and a birth certificate?  Geeze, they make it hard to travel within the country!

#732 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

La - Do they not print up his license on the spot?  Does he have a passport?  Or any other picture id?  What about bringing his expired license, and a birth certificate?  Geeze, they make it hard to travel within the country!

I think there are policies in place -- I believe I have traveled with a clipped corner on my license + supporting documentation.

(This might be an obvious question) ---> Does he have a passport?

Blech. I think I just ate my skiing today by daylight time.

work. always gets in the way.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#733 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  They don't print up a license; they take your picture and your money and then mail it, so it might take as much as two weeks, although probably they are overestimating so people won't get mad if they are slow getting the licenses out.

We don't have passports, so our licenses are our only forms of picture ID.

I spent a bunch of time today on the phone with our airline company, who directed me to the TSA website and phone number, but also seemed optimistic that if I just bring any documentation we have and get there super-early, they'll be able to do some enhanced screening process to clear DH.  The automated TSA phone number said you need either a photo ID or two forms of non-photo ID, like a social security card and a birth certificate.  It seems crazy that with all of the hype about air travel they would ever let you on a plane without a photo ID, but if the new license doesn't come in time, I guess we'll just bring everything--expired license, paper from RMV that says he's applied for a new license, social security card, and birth certificate.

#734 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM

No thoughts at all on the coaches and athletes world. No experience at all. But I guess I'd say trust your mama gut.

LaLaLaLa, sending my just-fine vibes.

I ran this AM. The cardio room was packed, so I ran the track for 25 minutes and then lifted and then some yoga before work. It was a good choice. I am so glad I didn't bail as I almost did. Work is trying to put me over the edge, but it won't! I got a smidge of the tic during a convo with an Acct. Mgr. and thought to myself, yup, it is work-induced. orngtongue.gif

Then I had my first call with the relo guy...who, going over the policy (which the company didn't provide us), discovered that our acreage is above the company's policy for help with selling. I am confident they are going to go ahead and cover us--and if they don't we know exactly who to point at until they change their minds. That said, there have been more inquiries about the place, based solely on word of mouth...I'm hopeful we can get it sold. Not everything can go smoothly, right? Hiccups are par for the course. Had we seen the policy, we'd have alerted them to the difference and had them waive it in writing. So, here we go...

Once that is all settled, it will be full steam ahead with selling. I do look forward to having whole days to focus on what needs doing around here.

Tomorrow: Y again. I hope to get a spot on the elliptical, though. My legs could use a non-impact activity.

#735 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

LA la I hope things get sorted traval wise good luck . I feel the same way about pushing foods . I remeber being forced to drink my milk at every meal and then later finding out I was alergic ! 

#736 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 PM

la~If the license doesn't arrive, I would just take all your supporting documentation with you, but do NOT volunteer that it's expired. Chances are decent that they may not even notice, or if they do that they may not care. Have the documentation in case something is said, but wait for them to make it an issue, kwim?

lab~Ah, flashbacks to my working days. I was a certified athletic trainer in high schools for over 10 years. I'm quite familiar with the cross-country coach who wants kids to run no matter what. A few thoughts on the subject... Yes, you are right to be concerned. Burn-out and overtraining can definitely be an issue. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about a 10 mile run the day after a 5k race, but it would depend on the circumstances. What kind of base mileage was normal for that time of the season? What kind of pace were they expected to run? Etc. An easy 10 mile recovery run wouldn't necessarily be unheard of if they were running 50+ miles a week at that point. The key would be EASY. As for injuries...there is very much an "old-school" mentality at work in many running coaches at the high school level, especially those who don't really have any formal training and/or aren't really serious runners themselves. They go by the "no pain, no gain" philosophy, which we now know is most definitely NOT true. I think part of the problem is that, especially with track (to a lesser extent with cross country), the high school teams get a lot of kids with NO athletic experience whatsoever. I can't tell you how many kids I've had in the training room over the years, crying during the first week of track practice because they're sore. And they really think something is wrong with them, when in fact, it's just that their muscles haven't had to work that hard before, ever. So, the coaches start painting all the kids with that same brush and blow off the more serious injuries. I would often tell a kid that they were ok to go out and run, but that they were to take it easy, or to do less mileage, only to have them come in after practice and say that coach "made" them go hard or run farther. Does your son have an athletic trainer at his high school? If so, I would call and talk to them about your concerns. They would be the perfect person to get on your side and help you intervene with the coach. And if nothing else is working, maybe try sitting down with the coach and having a heart to heart. Lay it out for him that you're concerned about your son's health and that you really are worried about a long-term injury that could impede his potential collegiate running career. If that doesn't work, and/or you don't have an ATC to enlist to help, maybe a chat with the athletic director would help as well. Anyway, blahblah.gif I said a "few" thoughts, didn't I? lol.gif

I had orientation at Children's hospital today for my peds rotation. I am simultaneously incredibly excited and incredibly terrified. I think it's going to be a great experience, I LOVE how they have things set up for us (we have a 54 page manual that I complained about having to print out, but that is an AMAZING resource for us, with all of our normal lab values, developmental milestones, etc. so we don't have to have 700 books out at once to look things up). On the other hand, on our tour of the unit we will be working on, we walked past several rooms that had cribs, or really little ones, which was kind of heart-breaking and really hit me with how fragile the patients are. I hope I can handle the emotional side of this rotation!

No fm today, but I did get my marathon training plan, and it seems semi-doable. orngtongue.gif Not sure if I mentioned here, but an acquaintance (fellow former Brooks IDer) saw my post on dailymile and offered to write a training plan for me, so I took her up on it. It seems pretty doable. In fact, she only has me running 6 this weekend, so I'm all for that! orngbiggrin.gif Especially since I'm pondering skiing on Saturday... I don't think there will be any lunchtime running this week, or at least not until Friday, given that the HIGH temperature tomorrow is forecast to be -2. cold.gif Um, wasn't I just running in a skirt and short sleeves and wishing I had a tank top on a few days ago?! dizzy.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#737 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM

I have travelled on an expired passport and my "receipt" for the new one. We were driving between Canada and the US and the customs agents didn't say anything. I second the idea to give the ID with no explanation unless they ask. I think so much depends on the person you get- I have gotten on flights and crossed customs without even having my ID taken from my hand, but I was also once turned away and not given a visa because my letter from work wasn't on official letterhead.

Boo to the cold weather, tjsmama. I keep forgetting that it's winter with the warmth we've had here. I did yardwork and turned the compost in a tshirt yesterday.

I survived the first day back to class. My husband managed bedtime, as my youngest has managed to keep her streak of mama-radar going- she has an amazing ability to wake up once I get home! So I'm lying beside her in bed now waiting for her to get deeply of to sleep (so I can get up and out of my work clothes and brush my teeth...)

I got in a nice 7.5k run this morning. And I was fast on my hill because I thought I had heard a bear on the trail. I'm pretty sure it was actually just a loud tree creaking, but I was on "mama bear's trail". I haven't seen bear poop in the woods since November, and they really should still be hibernating, right? Whatever it was, the burst of adrenalin treated me well smile.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#738 of 775 Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

I just wanted to report nice long walk and a bit of running a few minutes at a time so far doing ok hip wise

tjs that sound hard but also rewarding at the same time hope it goes ok

melw hmm maybe we could all run a little faster with some bears on the trail ?

#739 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM

tjsmama, It is really hard seeing little kids in metal cribs with wires and tubes.  But, Peds rotation wasn't as hard for me as the specific (adult) patients who wanted hospice/palliative care and were still receiving aggressive treatment, either because family members strong armed them into it, or they were coerced by residents who wanted to practice their xyz-test ordering skills.  I tried (and still try) to meet people where they are at.  Also, your weather is crazy.  When I talk to my mom (almost daily) it makes my head spin.  Also, have you looked into Jeffco Open School?  I don't know if it is close enough to you to be reasonable, but my sister went there.  I have always been really impressed.

Food issues:  I am gathering as I read the posts that the real issues here are that dh and I need to come to an agreement, and I need to not take it personally if no one will try the amazing fabulous food I have made.  orngtongue.gif  Really, they are mostly not so picky.  That post came in the wake of a meal of Moroccan chickpeas, rice, and Bengali curried cabbage.  They both picked out the chickpeas and ate some rice.  It could be much worse.  Also, I have similar memories of being forced to drink milk, my sister and I are both lactose intolerant.  My stomach hurts just thinking about it. 

Kerc, Happy Birthday!  I hope your day is filled with good things!

La4, My license had expired right before I had to pick up older dd from the airport last summer, she flew to Denver with my mother last summer and flew back alone (I still cannot believe I let her do that!).  As she was 6, I had to go through security to meet her at the gate.  My new license came one day before I had to get her, but I was prepared with expired DL, temporary papers, ss card, and expired passport.  TSA had assured me that they weren't going to prevent me from collecting her, just that I needed to be there early. 

MelW, Yikes!  I would think that bears would still be hibernating.  Fresh scat and snorting/grunting noises would scare me much more.  Do you run with bear spray/ a bell/ a dog?  Those were generally my solutions to feel a little safer hiking/trail running in bear country. 

Motivated Mom, what is your strategy for signing up for the Beach to Beacon?  I have considered it many times but felt like I wouldn't be able to as it sells out in seconds.

Slight rant:  Why do managers and human resources take so long to work on the hiring process when it is my life in limbo?  Rant over.

RR:  3-4 planned for today.  Also Sauna this morning with dh.  If I can get him out of bed, that is. 

#740 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM

Good morning from the land of ICE!  School has been cancelled, DH's work has been cancelled (really?  they can shut down an Air Force base???) but we luckily have power (fingers crossed that it lasts) and the children are happily playing Wii.  Snow is predicted to start later this morning and then accumulate until tomorrow at noon, anywhere from 4-12 inches.  Fun, especially on top of the 1/2 inch of ice we have now.

tjsmama ~ I think I'd have a hard time working hospital peds.  Hope your rotation goes well.  You gave Lab some great advice.  It's nice to get an expert opinion!

Lalala ~ I think your DH will be just fine with all that backup documentation.

Jooj ~ sending you all the house-selling vibes I have left!  The farm behind us just sold (farmhouse, barn, corral, pole barn, lake and 9 acres).  It's a really cool property, but needs a ton of work.

lab ~ yeah, 2 years ago the sub 8:00m/m would have been great!  Unofortunately, a long, drawn out injury and the associated 15 pounds I put on make that kind of speed unlikely.  But, I will be back!!!

Today DH will help me get my bike on the trainer in the basement so I can ride my way to endorphin-land while cooped up in the ice and snow.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#741 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM

RR: Tempo run today.  5 miles on the 'mill and felt great.  Supposed to do middle 3 miles at 7:30, but felt so good after three I just finished it out at that pace instead of the mile cool down.  I walked a quarter mile after that as cool down. 

NRR: iced in, expecting more ice and snow.  Loving the fact that we don't have to go anywhere, even my work is closed today and maybe tomorrow. Expecting more ice and snow later today.  Just hanging with the kids.

On the teacher / student texting, I would be reading those texts.  On the overtraining, why not get the educated opinion of teh colleges looking into him in addition to what you have .  YOu are a great mom!

Jo~ you never cease to amaze me. 

Gaye~love reading about your life. 

Balancin~how you feeling?

DrJen, things calm down?

Plady~Hi !!!

Eksmom~any time to read or chime in?  Hope you are well.

Hello to everyone, reading along and thinking of you throughout my day.  :) 

#742 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM

tortuga - I believe the year I ran Beach to Beacon, I sat at my work computer refreshing the screen until it was time to register and then clicked register as soon as I could. I think once you've clicked register, you have time to punch in all your payment information. I think they award registration to those who click it first. smile.gif

Gaye - I'm thinking about peds as my post-med school residency (so long as I get into medical school). I hesitate though, since seeing my daughter there with her heart surgery and also how I deal with loss of life...but I'm sure you will do great!

Twiddling my fingers waiting for DH to get home so I can go run for 20 minutes straight at the gym!

#743 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM

RM--getting better again, thanks for asking. Though my forward motion has been limited to walking the dogs the last couple days. I spent today stocking up in prep for this blizzard due to hit us.

#744 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Balancing glad your feeling better hope the ice storm isn't to bad

WR a few miles today feeling OK

east cost Central dingos  I hope the storm doesn't hit to hard and everyone OK

and those with sick little ones and husbands hope things are looking up

Plady how are things going on the Principal front ?

#745 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Confession: I have 2 Jillian Michaels dvds.....30 day shred and 6 weeks to a 6 pack. Both sufficiently kick me that I cannot do more than 15 minutes (I think each is 30 minutes long). So 6 weeks to a 6 pack.....do I just keep doing the 15minutes today, 16 minutes the next time...or do I do 15 minutes a few days then 20 minutes the next few days and so on?

So today's FM report: I skied about 6 km and did the first 15 minutes of 6 weeks to a 6 pack. I'm going to a wedding in June and it would be really freaking nice to not buy a new dress, kwim?

No new snow in these parts, but darn cold.

Following all your stories of snow.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#746 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

I would do 15 minutes untill thats doable then up it to 20 if thats ok 25 and so on . just so your pushing your self a little . like that good hurt but not that in pain get it ?

#747 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 PM

I ran 20 minutes at a 9:45 pace. This is greatly improved from last month when I could only run/walk a mile in 15:00. joy.gif

#748 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM

MM ~ Yay!!!

JG~ I remember a few times base closed and we lived on base and DH didn't have to go to work. ;)

kerc ~ Happy Birthday!  Did you have a good day?

I will be doing yoga here shortly.  My friend and yoga teacher will be in the area this weekend doing workshops.  I am planning on attending 2!  Wheee!

How's the weather?  Not sure how I live in the UP and miss all the snow!  DH flew out today.... was late and had to change flight from Chicago to MN but he's off.  It doesn't get easier does it?  Seeing him say good-bye to Val breaks my heart! :(

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#749 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
bec

We are having serious snow here!  They canceled school for tomorrow before noon today, and we are now doing a traditional storm activity...Drinking wine heavily!  champagne.gif

Tri class was canceled for tomorrow, so I will run on my treadmill, and maybe drag my bike in and ride on the trainer.  Hoping for some more wine with my good friend. (Ugh to the smilies not loading). 

#750 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

tjsmama: the cuts aren't about schools being good or bad. I've looked at the master plan and the pages of other documents and it boils down to this: Jeffco has a lot of aging schools and they need to figure out how to best manage everything so they don't throw a ton of money into schools that will eventually need major remodeling or to be torn down. It's kind of like throwing money at an older car that needs repairs. In the case of my neighborhood school, it's underutilized at about 65% capacity and they have some sort of complex formula that they use for figuring out maintenance costs and that number is edging higher. Closing a school saves them about $300,000 so it's understandable that when they're looking at what, another million dollars in budget cuts this year, that these decisions become necessary.

The part I like least is that they want to redistrict my neighborhood to three other schools. Splitting it into two I understand: send half the neighborhood north and half south, but three is insane, not least because the third school is a neighborhood south of the closest neighborhood--in the neighborhood across from the school R attends. That one is also an underutilized school (in better maintenance shape), but I think it's not good for a neighborhood to be so divided up that kids are going to three different schools. We're not a big neighborhood.

And on a purely personal note, although I don't live in a newer neighborhood, it's just depressing from an economic standpoint. When we moved in 9 years ago, they were closing a big box store just across from our neighborhood. It's sat abandoned since then, and the rest of the plaza struggles to have tenants. Just south of our neighborhood school is a city pool and a building that the county head start program was using. The city doesn't have enough money in the budget to open the pool this summer so it will remain closed, and the head start program moved into a different building and is also sitting empty. So to also close our school feels like everyone is giving up and moving all the resources into other neighborhoods. It's not true--the city would like to have the pool open and to use the building for something else, but the money isn't there. It's not helping that the county libraries are now closed on Mondays because the county officials refused to allocate the library reserves to the library, so they don't have enough money to be open all week anymore (and not enough to be open Mon-Sat either!). I really hope the future doesn't continue to look like this. greensad.gif

MM--nice job!

School was canceled due to the cold and is canceled for tomorrow too. Campus, however, remains open. :eyeroll I canceled class because there's no way I'm waiting for the bus when the windchill is -25. So now I'm in the middle of putting together another powerpoint presentation with voiceovers and audio clips because I'm feeling guilty about the students being shorted on the education they are paying for. (I'm also wondering what happened that people aren't like "yay, no class!" but there are many things I don't understand these days.) And, iMovie is stealing hours of my life while I try to make it do what it needs to do, but that's another story.

Enough novel-writing for tonight. As soon as the kids are asleep, I'm getting on the TM, hopefully also fitting out some weights and core work, and then maybe, just maybe, there will be time left for knitting? Pretty please?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page