"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 26 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#751 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

School has been cancelled here for tomorrow already too.  Not much snow, but at least an inch of ice in everything and another inch of sleet on top of that.  Yuck.  Not sure if DH will have work or a delay or what, but he'll find out in the morning.  I did finally put my bike on the trainer in the basement, all set up with the TV, but then ate such a huge dinner that riding the trainer was not happening! 

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#752 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM

cold.gif It is currently -11 with a wind chill of -29. cold.gif

DS's school is closed for tomorrow, but only because the boiler is out. They follow Denver public schools for closure/delays, and so far it looks like DPS is the only school district still on. Of course, MY school won't close. I was really kind of hoping for this morning, but no such luck. It was brutal. Our classroom was so cold this morning that I wore my down coat for the entire four hours. Going out in the hallway was ridiculous. At least the afternoon was upstairs and slightly warmer. rolleyes.gif

And in the "my nanny really can't cook" category...I asked her if she and DS could make cornbread from a box mix to go with our dinner tonight (white chili in the crockpot). Somehow, she managed to turn out completely flat hockey pucks of cornbread muffins. From a mix. I'm actually a little scared for tomorrow, since I suggested today that a good too-cold-to-leave-the-house day activity might be to make cookies and she decided they're going to give it a try tomorrow.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#753 of 775 Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM

tjsmama--cold.gif indeed. Paul said it was freezing in the building too. CU almost never closes though. They don't even close during blizzards most of the time. Metro closes at the drop of a hat, which is why I was really surprised they didn't at least cancel evening classes tonight.

I'm exporting part 2 of the presentation now. J is still awake, but hopefully will fall asleep and I can finally get on the TM for a 10:30 pm run. Yuck.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#754 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 AM

on closures: from HR today:

Quote:
As you may be aware, Govern Walker has issued an executive order (see email below) indicating that all state offices and buildings be closed to the public tomorrow due to a declared State of Emergency for a winter storm.  Please be advised that the Superior area will not be experiencing the same weather conditions and therefore, our campus will remain open.  Thank you.

A. the HR department sent an email to everyone, misspelling governor. 

B. The greeting was "Good Afternoon," despite it being 5:40 when it was sent

and then there's the obvious:

C. Why why why no winter storm here?

Everyone stay warm. Probably some of you have power outages, given the predictions of storming I've seen.

My day just opened up a bit: my pre-class appointment canceled overnight. I also got a decent amount of sleep and was WIDE awake at 4am. So, I'm up, working on stuff for later this week. Hopefully all that means that I can ski this afternoon (although a trip to the front porch for firewood suggests the winds are pretty fierce right now. brrr.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#755 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Snow all night plus snow predicted for today means no school for the kids today.   At this rate they will be going to school into July.  I think they had used up their built in snow days in Dec.  And the school calls our house with an automated message at 6 am announcing the lack of school.  Which. Wakes. Everyone. Up.  eyesroll.gif

At least we have electricity and hot coffee.

I suspect part of my exercise today will be shoveling.  And chasing the kids outside to play.  :)

#756 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post

At least we have electricity and hot coffee.

indeed.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#757 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 AM

caffix.gif and cold.gif

No school today for my kiddos either. I'm thinking about going over to my mom's (who is a teacher, so no school for her either) with the kids and baking cookies (I CAN bake orngtongue.gif)

Already got my workout in today. c25k 6-1 and 130 calories on the bike (15min?) to round off at 500 calories burned for the day. I'm icing my aching shins now and debating whether or not I will run tomorrow. sleeping.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#758 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 AM

Poor dh had to shovel his way out this AM because for some reason, he couldn't get the snowblower to start (too cold?). He shoveled just enough to get out, so I guess my exercise will also involve snow removal today. My kids are on a 2-hour delay, and I can finish up the project I have from home, I think.

If things clear up nicely by noon or so, perhaps I will venture out.

Dh leaves next Saturday. He wants me to be done working right now. I understand why, but I did give them next week as my final date. Next week will already likely involve realtor appointments, and that means cleaning like crazy this weekend. Urg.

Need to muster some productivity today. RM, thanks for the props. love.gif I am not feeling amazing today.

#759 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM

I hope everyone is keeping warm and enjoying a snow day today.

Wow, Jo, this is all happening so quickly. It's very exciting to read along, and I'm glad that selling things off is going so well already! Sounds like your farm has lots of interest, too.

Real, blech to running at 10:30. I would not have that kind of energy.

Track this evening, although getting there might be tricky with our older DD's track try-outs tonight, too. She really hopes to make the team, but there is a lot of competition. She has really found her running groove, though, and if she made it on the team, that would be so nice for her.

Other than that, just work, work, work. Which reminds me to get off MDC and get to work.

Quick question: you all who use trainers to ride your bikes indoors, tell me about them (the trainers, I mean). How big, how complicated, how expensive... I am just not going to be riding up and down this crazy, busy highway, so I'm looking for a biking alternative.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#760 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM

joy.gif:joy I nailed my workout and then some. It called for w/u and cooldown with 4 miles @ 8:20. First off I guilted dh into staying home with Linus so I didn't have t take him to the gym with a runny nose. (I was worried they would turn us away and he didnt want to go.) Then I got on the TM (way too windy outside) and after .18 mile warm up I cranked it. 1 mile later I had to pee sooooo badly. caffix.gif I got back on and stayed at pace watching tv (Egypt) until I realized I was done. Quarter mile cooldown was all I had time for before dh had to get to the office. Here I sit with a grin.

We had rain and thunderstorms last night then the temp plummetted suddenly. Running water froze in its tracks. Right now we have wind and snow. The streets are ugly and dangerous as it is garbage day for the East side of town. I've cleaned ours up twice but the first time was because I sent a teenboy to do what is apparently a woman's job. eyesroll.gif Then I handled my neighbors.

In school news, dd2's teacher does not think I am crazy. She actually recommended the book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother as a book that she found validating and felt I would too. I know dd3's teacher thinks I am a bit over the top. redface.gif

On tap yet: some house cleaning, GOTR coaches meeting, swim board doodoo, errands for 100th day of school, fun with the little guy, etc. blahblah.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#761 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Jo ~ but alas, you ARE amazing, whether you feel it or not!

Snow removal on the docket here today too.  DH's work was cancelled again today, so another day inside for the family.  This time I'm riding the trainer before eating!

Gaye ~ brrrrrr...... that sounds miserable!  Hope your nanny does okay with cookies.  Messing up cornbread from a mix is beyond my comprehension.  It's not like you can leave out the baking powder!

kerc ~ it's amazing that your town, of all places, did NOT get snow!

Happy Shoveling to everyone else!

#762 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Jooj a snow blower that does not work in the cold ? Wow
#763 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM

RR: supposed to run 3 miles today, and LR on Friday, but since we are home again today, I just thought LR today would be best.  Also wanted to see how my body felt and did running 8miles today after 4 fast miles (5 total) yesterday.  Went well.  Now no worries about fitting it all in on Friday.  If kids get back to school that is.  :)

NRR: iced in, snowed in, you name it.  Kids have played outside for many hours today though, so that's great.  They are having a ball with the ice.  They also did some cleaning so the house looks good.  All in all, nice day. 

Jaygee~well said about Jo.  :)

MM~awesome improvment on your pace/running!!!  Way to go!

Mamajb~so good to hear your enthusiasm on your workout.  Nice!!

Alex~loved reading about your run with the boys.  Love the meal too! yum!!

Marathon alert~ $65 for a marathon, flat course, travel includes just driving to and from race (maybe 20 minutes each?), October date.  For some reason I really feel like signing up today.  *shrug*

#764 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Ugh, so dumb, I know!

I got the smaller snowbloer going by alternating between praying and cussing. winky.gif I think I was able to drill through one drift to make a wide enough tunnel for the minivan, and I got the end of the driveway open, and the thing shut down a couple times on my in between...and eventually I gave up on machinery and finished with the shovel. When I look back on our first winter here and all the shoveling I did by hand, I wonder how the heck I did it all. And, how did I get so tired in 4 years?

In other news, PMS city. eyesroll.gif Thank goodness it was not a snow day here. Also, I have definitely eaten more than enough calories to fuel the struggles of the day. Maybe the convo with my mother helped with that. She seems to think I am moving too fast to get rid of stuff. Um, hello? Dh could be leaving in a month, or maybe two...and seriously, how much stuff do we need around us? I am absolutely not worried about "needing" any of the stuff we're getting rid of.

Two realtor meetings scheduled next week. Less stuff means less to clean, right JayGee? Going through closets and toys this weekend. Also want to try to schedule a YMCA SPA DAYjoy.gif with my sister.

#765 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM

RM, After today's run I was totally stoked to register for June and October... perhaps even the same one you are talking about. Maybe later tonight, I've had a day like you usually post about with 80 things to do and no break. Since several people have asked me about emails and such I came by home to drop off girls to change for swimming and check in.

jo, perhaps your mom doesnt like being faced with the reality of your move. For her it might be worrisome and she'll miss you. For you it is exciting and work to get done.

Alex, I've been keeping up on your blogs. I really enjoy them.

In other positive news I made my January goal of getting back to weight lifting a minimum of 2 days a week. Three would be better but I wanted to make my goal. For February I want to get the binging under control. I wrote down my guidelines and as it is a short month I hope I can do it.

I love days when I get dinner made early and it waits for me - chili tonight. Gotta run before people realize what I am doing.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#766 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM

RR um I walked the mall bag.gif

#767 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Ugh. I have not had a run today and I desperately need one. Oldest dd is having eye surgery on Friday, my parents are here, and dh is stuck in Boston and can't get home until the weekend, which means he will miss the surgery.

But...it is in the 70's and sunny so who am I to complain? duck.gif

Stay warm and safe Dingo Mamas!

Jo -- your mom is probably just projecting her anxiety about your leaving by telling you you're getting rid of stuff too fast. It makes it too real for her.

I had more personals but my mom keeps reading over my shoulder. Later.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#768 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM

We are totally snowed in here. I scaled a 6' drift this morning while walking my dogs. No school today, and no school tomorrow. It's been nice to have a snow day, we never get enough time together, but somehow I thought I would get more done around the house. 

FMR: I feel like I've got shin splints. I haven't been running. Could I have just strained that muscle on the front of my leg? IS there a muscle on the front of the leg or just a tendon?  I know I overdid it hauling in supplies yesterday. I bought like 150 lbs of food in prep for the storm--we had no bottled water in the house and we are close enough to the lake that I was concerned about an emergency water shut off from the floods there were concerns about (that thankfully didn't materialize.) Anyway I totally aggravated my foot pain, but I don't know what the heck I did to the shin on the other leg.

#769 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Jo ~ I think mommajb and RM are onto something regarding your Mom.  She's going to miss you, and all your preparation for the move makes it more "real".  And yes, LESS to move is much, much better!

RR ~ ran 4.25 and walked 1 on the indoor track orngbiggrin.gif!  After DH gets home from soccer tonight, I plan to jump on my trainer for a short ride too.

#770 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View PostCould I have just strained that muscle on the front of my leg? IS there a muscle on the front of the leg or just a tendon?

Yes! Just tonight in our track practice we heard about an exercise for strengthening the shin muscles. It goes like this:

Stand on the edge of a low step by your toes, with your heels off the edge of the step. Stand up on your toes, and slowly lower your heels down to hanging below the step a bit. If it feels too easy, try coming down on just one toe.

See if that helps or if it feels like it's working the right area. But get healed up first!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#771 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View PostCould I have just strained that muscle on the front of my leg? IS there a muscle on the front of the leg or just a tendon?

Yes! Just tonight in our track practice we heard about an exercise for strengthening the shin muscles. It goes like this:

Stand on the edge of a low step by your toes, with your heels off the edge of the step. Stand up on your toes, and slowly lower your heels down to hanging below the step a bit. If it feels too easy, try coming down on just one toe.

See if that helps or if it feels like it's working the right area. But get healed up first!

Or walk on your heels, aka "duck walks" We used to do this after warm-ups in xc and track. I started doing it again this week and my shins are starting to feel better. Ice after a workout really helps too.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#772 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
bec

4.5 hours of hard, heavy snow shoveling!  There is a ton of snow!!!  The kids mostly hung out, played in the snow outside and watched a movie.  I passed out and took a nap during their movie.  We had a couple of kids over all day today, and will have them tomorrow.  In exchange, she took all three of mine over night for a sleepover!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#773 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Don't we need a February thread? Won't some enterprising young thing with energy, who actually runs, go start it? I'm aged and worn out and haven't run in a week. bag.gif 

And my kids have been off school for two days; I have not. And ds threw up tonight meaning he's off school tomorrow, too! and I am not. He'll have to be my Special Guest again. Like he was on Tuesday. <sigh>

I'm going to have to run tomorrow. No ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Dingo mamas, can I get some advice? There's a local-ish half I'd love to do in May, but. I ran a bad bad half in late September (IT band problems) and was just getting into the groove again in December/January, then skipped two weeks to travel, then ran and had.... IT band issues. I did PT about a year ago and just could cry with the prospect of having to schedule all those appointments, etc. again.

Is signing up for the half, which will fill up soon, likely to:

a. motivate me to do my PT exercises and yoga?

or

b. be a waste of $65 if I can't run

or

c. prompt me to run whatever my IT band is like, which will go badly and hurt like hell for many miles?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#774 of 775 Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Penelope if you cant get in for PT or massage can you work your IT with a tennis ball ? pr have DH do it ?   and I vote race its 65$ and it could be awesome and its certainly a motivator to train and take care of you ! and if it does work it doesn't no big deal right ?

but this is all from the girl limp runnng the trail by my house on a regular basis

#775 of 775 Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 AM

New Thread!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page