"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofizzView Post

My class starts tomorrow.  I'm 90% ready, but I need to be 100% ready before I go home today.  So much for breading geophysicists for the day. 

Mmm... geophysicists dipped in milk, then egg, then crumbs and Parmesan, then fried gently in butter.... mischievous.gif

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood!

My class today went fine. Dh has come down with something that seems to be just this side of death, so I'm more or less on my own with the kids until further notice. Hopefully he's better by Thursday, when I am leaving the country. bigeyes.gif

I would love to run today as it's mid-thirties and sunny (just like moi!) but I feel like that would be stretching it in terms of Mr. Near-Death upstairs. Perhaps tomorrow.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Trish - Are you a surrogate mom for kids you aren't raising?  And you're in Iraq?  I'm fascinated!  I'm also thinking very vaguely about the Seattle RnR (although for all I know it's already sold out.)  I'd like to do a big well-run race.  I love the mom and pop ones in some ways too but it would be fun to have crazy awesome support on the course. 

Yes, I've carried babies for two different families and I will be carrying again for the first family this summer-yay! And yes, I've been in Iraq for about a year now working as a civillan contractor, which is interesting to say the least. Much better on this side than when I deployed in the Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

FM ~ 45 minute cycling class.  You know it's a tough workout when the woman in the row in front of you runs out during class to vomit.  Yikes!!!!  I think my heartrate has finally returned to normal... 40 minutes after class is done.

Man I miss spin class! It's such a great cardio work out and fun at the same time.

JenLove~what is hooping? Like with a hula hoop? I bet that's a great core work out!

AFM, nothing yet. I just switched from day shift to nights so I vaguely thought of a run when my alarm went off this afternoon, but sleep sounded better. I'm going to do some push-ups, dips, and core work in my room when I get off in the morning. And I WILL run tomorrow afternoon before work. I will I will I will (maybe saying it enough will convince me to get up early!)

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM

P sick husbands are no fun hope he gets better soo 

Trish surogosy always fasnates me tell me more . Im not sure I could do it for anyone exept maybe my sister I think Id get too atached

Im trying to convince myself to get moveing DS had a melt down at the gym day care last time and Im dreading going back but its sunny so maybe we will walk around here on a lighter note I met with my favorite midwife today I just loved seeing her

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Trish ~ Yep, as in hula hooping.  There's a big movement of hoop dancers, and I'm just dabbling in it.  I only know a few tricks now... learning a new one this week called the "jump through." :)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM

FM: I actually ran a measurable distance today, 2.77 miles. That was with 5 minutes warm-up and 25 minutes running. I was slo-o-o-ow, but ... I'm ba-a-a-ack! orngbiggrin.gif

Also met with a guy who runs a small bike repair shop here in town, and he measured me for a road bike. He generally knows of people selling bikes and does e-bay and Craigslist, so he is going to keep his eyes open for a used road bike for me.

Oops, gotta run, I smell my soup getting toasty!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
 Dh has come down with something that seems to be just this side of death, so I'm more or less on my own with the kids until further notice. Hopefully he's better by Thursday, when I am leaving the country. bigeyes.gif

Apparently my husband had it yesterday.

But he's well enough today to go skiing eyesroll.gif

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofizzView Post

My class starts tomorrow.  I'm 90% ready, but I need to be 100% ready before I go home today.  So much for breading geophysicists for the day. 

Mmm... geophysicists dipped in milk, then egg, then crumbs and Parmesan, then fried gently in butter.... mischievous.gif

:rotflmao

I meant breeding, but I guess the moment is now lost.

C'mon, abx, kick in.  Please.  I've been "guy at death's door" sick for 10 days now and I'm sick of it.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Also laughing like crazy at Penelope planning how to cook Geo, although it sounds like that should be delayed until Geo recovers enough to make her taste better.  Geo, don't forget while you're waiting for the antibiotic to work to treat the symptoms - pain meds, heat, etc.

Balancin1 - I miss you!  I'm so glad to see you here!

New dingos - Yay!  Thanks for introducing yourselves, and please stick around and tell us everything!

RR - I ran my first 2011 run yesterday, 9.68 on the treadmill while watching the newer Star Trek movie.  Today, I did guts and butts again - which I'll probably pay for tomorrow since I'd skipped it for 2 weeks.  I'm thinking about running the Illinois Half Marathon in Champaign in late April, since I missed the Indy Mini bus.  And then a fall marathon, probably Chicago, but not positive yet.

I think I have the race list updated to here, if not, let me know.  And again, any opinion about the results list?  Shall I start fresh for 2011?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

NOOOOOOOO I am NOT coming down with a cold the week of the marathon.

I REFUSE. BOO

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I think I have the race list updated to here, if not, let me know.  And again, any opinion about the results list?  Shall I start fresh for 2011?

2whistle.gifYou should at least take off the babies who are 2 years old (Jenlove et al.).

Lovely day spent doing nothing but misc. catch up items. Blech. Now it's too cold to go out and ski or run.

off to deal with bedtime.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Laughed out loud at cooking geophysicists...so loud I thought I might have woken sleeping children.

Nick sending healing vibes your way  as you have worked so hard.  I am sure you will be the picture of health by the time you run.

I am missing the more relaxing pace of vacation and the ability to spend almost all day out of doors and in motion.  4 more days until a weekend of skiing and playing with my boys.

Probably no runs this week, but lots of time on the bike trainer and my 100s every day.  Anybody have a place to download workouts for the bike? I realized I need to continue to build core strength to skin and ski with the youngest son in the pack.  He is heavier this year.

Does anyone have a half marathon plan they like.  I just agreed to run one this summer and although I run a bunch in the summer I have never organized it to race anything more than a 10k.

Jen Love I am intrigued by your hooping but I fear I lack the coordination.  Also, you practice Reiki, correct?  I am getting back into my practice after a too long hiatus.

Geo and Penelope dh hope you are feeling better soon.

I am off to a ridiculously early bed time and I am so excited!!!!!!

Goodnight

Aimee, wife to Chris, mom to two amazing boys 8/06 and 4/09. Reliving childhood with the boys.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Today was just a total wash for me. I woke up and was just way overwhelmed by the condition of my house. The kids all went back to school, and left me with a huge mess. My hubby has been working on putting in a built in cabinet for his audio equipment and our video games and blue ray. The floors a covered in dust and sawdust. It was just more than I could handle. I suspect PMS because I really just wanted to sit down and have a good cry.

Things are looking a lot better now though, so hopefully I can start my week fresh tomorrow and get a good run in.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Searcher, I have done really well with Hal Higdon's plans. www.halhigdon.com

I used the novice 2 plan last year for my first half (as I already had a base), then the Intermediate 1 plan for the last 3 half marathons I did. I used the Intermediate 1 plan for this marathon that I'm running on sunday.

His plans are pretty conservative, mileage wise. You can also go to runnersworld.com and use their 'smart coach' thing to calculate a customized plan for you. Compare and see what works better for your schedule.

If you do walk-run you can use one of Galloway's plans or Jon "The Penguin" Bingham's plans.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Nic--I'm thinking of you and hoping that enough vitamins will knock out whatever is brewing in your system.  Ack, what a terrible time to get sick!

Geo--I hope you're also feeling better and the antibiotics start having an effect.  My mom was just talking about her doctor's concern about her blood pressure, which is always high at his office.  He told her she needed to think about medication, and she responded "I don't have high blood pressure.  It's just you."  I guess she has her blood pressure taken at the gym, and it's much more normal than at the doctor's office.  Like when you know they are observing your breathing and all of a sudden you can't figure out how to not gasp or wheeze. 

Hello to new dingos!  You'll feel like old dingos in no time at all.

Today I did some working out.  I got to the gym too early to get into the pool--water aerobics messes up my workout.  So I ran for twenty minutes on the treadmill and then rinsed off and went up to the pool, where I tried again to not drown for 40 minutes.  I'm still on this side of living, so I guess it worked, but just barely.  My goggles don't fit right, so they fill with water or fog up and hurt my eye sockets.  I still can't figure out how to breathe.  When I keep my head out of the water and practice breathing at the right time, it seems like my inhales should line up with when I turn my head and lift my arm.  But when I try it with my face actually in the water, I end up sputtering and flailing.  It's a train wreck.  I think it's maybe the exhale that's causing a problem.  Do I need nose plugs?  I don't know; I definitely need something.  Anyway, I'm working on it.

Almost to spite me for predicting her Plaster Fun Time choice, DD ended up choosing a fairly small (about the size of my fist) sculpture of two lovebirds sitting together.  It's about as tasteful as things get at Plaster Fun Time.  Yes, it is decorated in a variety of shades of pastel and liberally doused with glitter, but it is not nearly the eyesore I expected.  This is possibly because the sculptures are arranged by price, so all of the really hideous things (naked male torso, lifesized cobra ready to strike, ceremonial Klingon sword, skull with flames shooting out of it) were not available to this party's guests.  I mused out loud whether the employees got a discount, and whether their homes were entirely decorated in sparkly plaster, and got the look of death from the girl running the party.  tomato.gif  Moments later, I escaped next door to Starbuck's, where I was shortly joined by most of the other party moms, and we had a lovely chat.  I've found that it's much better if I am not in the same room as DD when she is working on an art project, as I have an uncontrollable urge to micromanage and make suggestions for how to make things neater, more realistic, more symmetrical.  Drinking a cup of coffee next door is much more conducive to her creativity.

Tomorrow I won't have time to get to the gym in between volunteering with DD's first grade and picking DS up from preschool, so it's either run on the roads in the cold or nothing.  I hope, I hope, I hope I'll find the motivation to bundle up and run.  Our warm spell is over, and it is definitely going to be uncomfortable outside.  Send me motivated dingo vibes!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Stay healthy Nic!

Mel, I meant to chie in about how awful it is that your bike was stolen. Imagine the bad karma of stealing something to give for Christmas. cold.gif

Gaye, Enjoy being home! I hope you have another week before you jump headfirst into the next term.

DrJen, what about Indianapolis Monumental (Nov 5) or Milwaukee (bec, wasn't this in October?)? Chicago has been so hot the past couple of years.

JenLove, I could so enjoy a girl's day out so I am glad you got yours.

I use runners's world smart coach to get the long run weeks and miles. Then I have what works for me during the week run and cross training wise.

Two kiddos back at school. Three girls at swiming with no complaints (dd1's shoulder "popped out" at her last meet). Basketball season still ongoing. Ds2 says he missed his sister today. love.gif (Except that two were gone and he only mentioned missing one. eyesroll.gif) Two more students return on Wednesday. What this meant is that I could use the older two to help me clean up the mess PO7 is talking about. It isn't great but it is progress.

Despite toying with the idea of a lot of races (for me) this year I have a plan for balance: Two days of lifting (and hopefuly yoga a week, along with 3-4 days of running, and at least one day of recovery. Training plan has been found and noted, marathon sign up will be soon, I like to mull these things over a bit and make sure it feels right.

Phone is ringing....

welcomeback.gif returning dingos and Welcome.gif to the newbies. I can't wait to get to know you better.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Nic, Echinacea, vitamins and zinc! I was coming down with something when I left for NM, and I did Echinacea and zinc and it never was worse than a minor sore throat. Try to rest, lots of liquids (tea, lemon, honey!). Taper Madness!

Geo, yuck, mama. Feel better. And breaded geophysicists made me think of eating fried, breaded brains. Which I have never eaten but have had described to me on several occasions. Hm.

Penelope, you're going to have SUCH a great time! Stay far away from Near Death Man if you can. Just to be safe. winky.gif

The Y was...let's say it was the Y in January. eyesroll.gif Cardio room was hot and stinky, but I did 45 min, a little over 5 miles, intensity cranked up high, and followed that with some lifting and stretching. Whirlpooled afterward and then went and bought myself a planner. Tomorrow, a short run!

Cooked a nice dinner, baked a big batch of bread, and helped dh with an internal job posting for that thing that's consuming my mind. I've totally given over to the idea of moving, btw. Now I am actually hoping for it. Crave change much? Dh will most certainly have a rough day tomorrow, since he was required to notify his manager when he put in an app. We'll just see how all this goes. Could use all the positivity vibes anyone can spare.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM

" Drinking a cup of coffee next door is much more conducive to her creativity."

spitdrink.gifROTFLMAO.gif This is so me and my daughters.

PS Gift certificates to the pottery place are a great gift for the daughter of the mom that bugs you. She now has to take her daughter and gaze upon the lovelies in her home. bag.gif

PPS Little brothers are great at breaking things that need a new home. My mom has a collection of ceramics from her mom that I suggested she let my younger children play with this Christmas. We compromised and she let the girls set up the Christmas village. bag.gifbag.gif I know that someday we'll be glad we still have them but at this point they are not aging well nor are the glitter covered angel tree ornaments my grandmother made for us. Ack! I am getting from both sides! nut.gif

Jo, the gym in January makes running outside look better and better. Hang in there, once the superbowl hits everyone makes a dash for the wings.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
bec

Nic - Espberitox.  It's amazing stuff.  It's an echinacea chewable, with some other stuff.  Also, B complex vitamins and Zinc.  Get lots of rest and feel better!  You'll be tip top for your marathon!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post

2whistle.gifYou should at least take off the babies who are 2 years old (Jenlove et al.).

Lovely day spent doing nothing but misc. catch up items. Blech. Now it's too cold to go out and ski or run.

off to deal with bedtime.

Ok, I actually took all the pregnant/birth announcements, since no one that I know of is expecting (anyone?  Bueller?) and the babies are all getting old.  If no one objects (and I'm guessing no one does since there's been no comment!) I'm restarting the results list for 2011.  The 2010 results list is still on page 1 of the December thread if anyone wants it (and should be up to date, I think.)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM

searcher~I like the Higdon plans, too. I've used his beginner half plan twice and used his beginner plan for my first full marathon.

re: breaded geophysicists...personally, I prefer mine to be antibiotic-free. orngtongue.gif

mommajb~THREE weeks. joy.gif Except for the impending cloud of doom hanging over my head. lol.gif

Day one at home and pretty much nada accomplished. Blech. And no exercise. Double blech. And one very tired, melting-down little boy. Triple blech. Tomorrow was supposed to be a relaxing day with some down time, but then I realized that my plans to take DS up skiing next Tuesday weren't going to work, so we really need to go tomorrow instead. Whoops. So, it will be fun, but DS will be exhausted. Which means that he's going to drive me crazy again tomorrow. Oh well. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll fall asleep in the car on the way home!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Aimee - what half marathon are you planning to run?

I did get a workout in today, a really good one which is why I'm still awake eyesroll.gif I jogged a mile, walked a half-mile, cycled 6 miles, a little strength training then back on the tm for another mile jog followed by another half-mile walk. It felt great and was nice to have all that time to myself orngbiggrin.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Just a quick check-in: No workout yesterday, but I did just do a two-mile walking on-demand video again tonight.  It's better than nothing and it did get make me break a sweat, but I am sort of embarassed that my mom does the same work out.  I can't wait for our treadmill to arrive! 

I'm hosting our LLL leader applicant tomorrow morning and my house so isn't ready for company.  I will be the one up vacuuming at 6:30am tomorrow :-(

Good night, ladies!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM

tjsmama--glad you made it back, despite the slushy, cold mess we have here. orngbiggrin.gif

bec--hope you're able to sort out the career decisions this year.

JayGee--that is a tough workout. Eek!

Geo--hope the abx are helping now. I wouldn't worry about the BP so long as you check it again when you're feeling better. Things I've learned since having pre-e include that BP should only really be taken after you've been sitting quietly for 10 minutes. If you were rushing into an appointment, it can easily go sky high. I had a couple of really high readings with J's pregnancy, but both were from rushing to get to the doctor's office.

Mel--woot!

Penelope--hope the illness is confined to members of the male gender so you don't end up sick on your trip.

DrJen--Would it work to leave a link to the December results list in case anyone wanted to quickly find last year's? Also, what do you mean my baby is getting old? scared.gif

1jooj-- goodvibes.gif

No exercise today. Yet. I might do some core work tonight. I'm really looking forward to R being back in school on Wednesday. Restoring the routine should help everyone, methinks. Except possibly J, who may or may not have an ear infection.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM

MM that's sound like a really nice work out nice

RR didn't you tell him that children are not allowed to have ear infections there will be none of that

AFM going to the gym looked more like eating chinse food , watching TV but I did get alot done around the house pre slacking

Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 AM

Morning all.  Thanks for the great training plan advice.  I will not start in earnest until the spring.  I find cycling and skiing through the winter keeps my cartilage free knees happy enough to run and race in the summer.  

Nic  Thanks for the link, hope you are resting and feeling better.  Are you back to work this week or still off.  The first day of middle school after vacation is not conducive to rest.

Gaye  Have fun skiing.  There is almost nothing better than watching a 4 year old zip down the mountain in a rubber legged snow plow.  Hope you get a few runs for yourself as well.

Mel  May Karma bring you a sweet deal on an outstanding new ride.

Penlope  Have a fabulous trip!!!

Jo  So many possible changes.  You seem to be embracing this and taking it in stride.  I am in awe.  I fear change to a large extent.

Geo  Hope you are feeling better

MM  I am hoping to run a 10 k in Phippsburgh in August and the Portland half early October, the date is not out yet, but last year it was the 3rd.

Today's resolution:  Must get off refined sugar!!!!  I purged the holiday goodies to aid my will power.  Anyone want to go refined sugar free for awhile.  This is definitely my weakness andI would love some accountability.

Have a great day everyone!!!!

Aimee, wife to Chris, mom to two amazing boys 8/06 and 4/09. Reliving childhood with the boys.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 AM

Graecei - Funny thing about chinese food is that there is a huge chinese buffet right next to the gym (in the same building) that I go to. It's a good thing I'm not eating out or spending any money. smile.gif
Aimee - The Portland half is going to be on Sunday, October 2nd (the half, full, and relay are all on the same day, right?) The website says online registration opened in December, but I'm not sure where. headscratch.gif
I woke up at 5am this morning after going to bed at midnight. I kept tossing and turning. I think the late workouts might not be such a good idea for me, but I find it is hard for me to get up and go early.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Geo, feel better soon.

Gaye - What a nice long break. Enjoy skiing.

MM - feel that way days I count a short stretching yoga routine as my workout then I tell myself any movement is good movement.

Ann - I didn't catch that you are a LLL leader. Do you have co-leaders or are you a lone leader? How long have you been a leader?

Real, your baby is as young as you feel. lol.gif

Jo, ch-ch-changes! goodvibes.gif I'd rather think about your hanges than what dh may or may not be cooking up.

I've got a run on tap this am after dropping two of the girls at school then I have last day of break running to do with the older two. Everytime ds1 has a day off school he grows an inch or more and needs new pants. Where on earth will I find 28x34 khakis? I think I'll end up not buying any and letting him wear his slightly short pants low. redface.gif

Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

re: breaded geophysicists...personally, I prefer mine to be antibiotic-free. orngtongue.gif

Thanks.  My breakfast is now on my screen.

I may not be abx free, but I'm certainly cage free and free range (I've got a garmin now.  that makes me free range, right?)

<whine>

Ear is no better, it's still ringing, lots of pressure, and I still can't hear much besides my own breathing and heartbeat.  But at least my neck is stiff now.

</whine>

When a running plan says something like 5x400 m at race pace, how much time or how much walking/jogging in between each 400?

I'm looking at running plan for something to do.  When I've got RPs each night, heading out is no biggie, but I'm finding I cheat the distance a lot when I go out on my own.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Do those geophysicists come with a gluten free breading?

Nic ~ I said it on Facebook and I'll say it here ~ ZINC! 

Geo ~ I usually recover for 1/2 the interval, so if I'm running 400s, I'll recover for 200m.

One more day before DS and DD1 start at their new school.  Today they are scheduled for eye exams (required for all students new to Illinois), Kay is getting her haircut (whether she wants to or not, and I can assure you it's "not"), and I promised them all a new shirt to start off their first day.  Kay is excited.  Jacob is a little nervous.  Mama is beside herself with projected school anxiety.  Sigh.  I also really want to swim at the Y this morning as my knees could use a little break from running.  The kids and I spent 3 hours outside playing with our neighbors in the culdesac yesterday afternoon. I love.gif this neighborhood so far!  Bike riding, scooters, climbing rock piles, playing in the abundant mud.... good times were had by all.

I've also started to flesh out my race calendar.   So far, I've got:

February 26 ~ O'Fallon YMCA Indoor Triathlon

September 3 ~ Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

I need to find an Olympic distance triathlon that isn't too far away.  I really want to do Chicago again, but it's the weekend before the Indy half and that would just be too much.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 AM

JayGee ~ Seeing O'Fallon on your race list still makes me stop in my tracks.  I hope we go there to visit soon!

Awww.... my baby is off the list.  Dang, she's big!

Reiki: Yes, I practice.  Most of the kind I have been doing is distance Reiki lately.  I'm not in a very spiritual or crunchy area here in MI.

Hooping:  If you practice with a bigger adult hoop, it's much easier.  They are heavier, you can feel them easier, and have more room in them to keep them up on your waist.  

Off to vacuum the house quick because I have a friend and her dd coming over for coffee/tea and a playdate.  

Will do 100's and yoga during naptime today. :D

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

User Tag List