"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK memiles, except you are 3 timezones away. I mean, at least you have that. winky.gif

#242 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM

I managed to get in my 100's late last night before bed, and Val and I did the parent/kid dance class but we were the only ones there.  It was great, but I don't think they'll continue it. :(

Today I am trying to get ahead on my house.  I did dishes, vacuumed, swept floors, and listed 2 bags of stuff on Craigslist.  Anyone in need of small misses clothes?  Some name brand - Abercrombie and Express? :P

DH and Val are in bed now napping, so I'm getting quiet time with some music.  My sis and nephew are coming to visit after naptime here, and I am really looking forward to it.  Gonna run and maybe get out of my pjs.  

Jo ~ Keep me posted!  When would you all go (hypothetically)?  

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#243 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 AM

went to the gym childcare closed : (

#244 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

OK memiles, except you are 3 timezones away. I mean, at least you have that. winky.gif

Yes, but it was still 3:30.  The very idea of that cemented the idea that I will never do a Disney race.  

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#245 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Quote:

Yes, but it was still 3:30.  The very idea of that cemented the idea that I will never do a Disney race.  

comeing from the midwife winky.gif

#246 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Quote:

comeing from the midwife winky.gif

Right.  I was up working at 3:30 this week and didn't think a thing of it.  If my phone rings and a baby is coming, getting up is non-negotiable.  An alarm clock is a different story.

I also want to do Ragnar, which will at some point involve running at insane hours.  I need to get over this.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#247 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I did this awesome overnight hiking thing every year for years in middle and high school but cant make myself get up early a few days a week to do extra cooking or yoga  well DS sleeps  I think its different when its for something awesome 

#248 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM

And HBM is done, too! joy.gif Hooray for our dingo marathoners, and especially BBM who is now GOOFY! joy.gif

Phew. Disaster was narrowly averted. I showed up to the Y and spin class was FULL. Yikes. Seriously, I've never been to this class with more than 5 people in it, but I guess the combination of the NY resolutioners and the crappy weather filled it up. Lucky for me, the instructor was nice enough to pull a bike out of the basement (!) for me. No computer on it, and I was squeezed into the very front corner of the room, but it worked. He actually offered to give up his bike for me, and I was like yikes.gif...it's on a platform in front of the class. I was so relieved, though, because I only had my snow boots and my spin shoes, so I would have just gone home otherwise, and I know I wouldn't have made it back for a run. It was a pretty good class...I used to not like this particular instructor at all, but I think he's growing on me. We did ascending intervals, at 90% of HR (except I didn't have either my HR monitor or a bike computer, oh well), starting at 2 minutes and going up to 8 minutes. I feel like it was a pretty good workout, and hopefully I worked my legs enough to strengthen them up a bit for next weekend's back-to-back ski days!

And now, I must tackle the Christmas decorations. I have everything down and packed away except for the tree. I just don't wanna! Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to put itself away. orngtongue.gif

And then, soup! When it's snowy and cold outside, soup is a necessity, I'm pretty sure...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#249 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
bec

HURRAY DISNEY RUNNERS!!!!!!!!  I can't wait to hear the run reports.  I'm especially interested in the Goofy report!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#250 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I think from reading that most of us are not doing what we know would contribute negatively to the attitude of our girls (namely bad tv) and yet we still have these issues. What else?

Yes. That is what I'll be thinking about (obsessing over?) for this next while. 

bow.gifDisney 'thoners!! You ladies are an inspiration. 

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#251 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Awaiting stories from the Disney Dingos!!!  CONGRATS LADIES!!!

#252 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Hi you guys!

First off, I have to say how much I love you all and love the Dingoes and am so grateful for this group. When I met BBM and HBM it was like we had all known each other forever, right away. Which we sort of have, but not in person!

So...beware a long race (weekend) report!

We got to Disney yesterday (Mom and I). Went to the hotel and spent some time wrestling with the receptionist to get in the same building as HBM and family, which we finally did (but on the second floor which proved to be not the best thing today after the race, oh well). Then took the bus to the Expo (which took a long time). The Expo was HUGE. The ESPN Center at Disney is a huge complex of stadiums and fields and buildings. The bib pickup was in one building (with lines) then you went to another building for packet pickup and the merchandise Expo. Lots of the merchandise was already really picked over (since the expo had been going since Thurs.) but I did get the kids and myself cute t-shirts. I am pretty p-o'd about my race shirt because they assigned me an XL and printed it on my bib, so there was no switching even though I had ordered a L. (Which still would have been too big but this is ginormous). They were really inflexible about it too. Grr. Went back to the hotel, rested a while, then headed over to Downtown Disney to drop some more cash on presents for the family. Headed back to the hotel and met HBM for dinner at the pasta buffet in the food court. It was so fun to meet her and shmooze.

We set a time to meet at 3:10 a.m. to catch the bus to the start. Which we did, but I was freaking out because the coffee machine in my room wasn't working; and because I wasn't able to ummm...complete my business in the bathroom (which would prove to be disastrous later). The buses were already lined up outside so we got on the first one (took a pic too!) and went to the staging area at the start. We managed to meet Kathleen (luckily because she had been there the day before, she knew where things were), I got coffee (for $3!), and then we ran into one of my running partner buddies from my track club! (She was getting coffee too!) Since there were over 20,000 runners milling around that was nothing less than divine intervention.

Then we all huddled together in the cold and dark (it was cold...in the 40's but there was a breeze so it just felt cold). Took turns using the portapotties and then started the (very, very long) walk to the corrals. It was neat, the four of us totally bonded and we were able to start together. There were fireworks at the start which went off each time a corral started. We were in corral D which started about 18 minutes after the official start.

BBM took off fairly early, and HBM, my friend Mary, and I ran together for a little while, but HBM dropped back by mile 1 or so. I actually had aggravations right from the start which was worrying me. My feet didn't feel good (even though I was wearing my favorite long run socks, had lubed up with body glide as normal, etc.) and my stomach felt unstable. Mary and I managed to hit 11 minute miles within a few miles (not easy given the crowds) and we stopped to use the real bathrooms in Mexico at Epcot which I think was about mile 5 or so. I couldn't finish my business and didn't want to spend too long trying, so off we went (but not before she dropped her glove in the toilet. LOL).

Miles 5-9 or so were pretty uneventful. We slowly picked up the pace a bit, but she is coming back from an injury (my friend Mary that is....who has run EVERY Disney marathon, has a 'retired' bib number that never changes, and is sponsored by Champion and used to run this marathon in just over 3 hours) so she dropped off as we were tackling one of the exit ramps. These were the main hills and they weren't very steep but they were brutal on the legs because of the cant.

I saw Kathleen in front of me right before mile 8 or so I think (she was wearing these absolutely adorable minnie mouse pigtail holders in her hair and a bright pink shirt!) and we ran together all the way until mile 18 or so. It was wonderful, we really did well together and we saw my mom and her dh a couple times in the Magic Kingdom. We were going at a good clip (all the miles were under 11, some were under 10:30). My feet were starting to really bother me as was my stomach. I did eat a couple Gu's at 5 mile intervals, as well as a banana (provided by Disney -- totally invaluable and energizing) at mile 13-ish and I was making sure to take water and/or powerade at every stop because it was so dry and cold that I was worried about getting dehydrated. Ran past the waste water plant (ICKY ICKY ICKY -- HORRIBLE STENCH) and into Animal Kingdom (where I took a photo with a llama!). Ran out of AK and a couple more miles, then BBM and I got separated and I didn't think I'd catch up to her (it turned out she stopped later and we probably finished close together but we didn't see each other again). I got to mile 20.6 (I know that because there was an announcer and a Jumbotron) and felt okay...but not long after that, my feet felt like they were on fire (popped bleeding blister) and my stomach totally cramped up. Miles 22-25 were hell. on. earth. I walked/shuffled along and at one point started crying because I was in so much pain (then my calf muscle also cramped up!) but the crying made my chest feel tight so I forced myself to pull it together, kept repeating YES I CAN to the rhythm of my feet. And I finished. Crossed the line in 4:59:13 which was a full 14 minutes slower than my goal time, but beats my previous marathon (admittedly 14 years ago but still) by over 9:30, and I beat 5 hours.

After I finished I could barely moved. I started crying in the chute and shaking uncontrollably. They wrapped the mylar blanket around me, shoved some powerade and water in my hands, put the metal on my neck, and helped me through the chute. My mom was waiting for me and that was great. I pulled myself together again (didn't want to scare her) but I was still shaking terribly with cold and so we went over to the (very overpriced) race merchandise tent and she bought me a very cute running jacket which helped a lot. (And it will be useful so it's worth it, but it was a lot of money for that!).

Went back to the hotel, and I stood in a hot shower a Long Time. Then managed to get myself down to the food court and ate a personal pizza. My stomach still wasn't feeling good but I couldn't really complete my business still, I felt a bit better after I ate and we went back to the room and I slept for 2 hours which was great. Then we headed home. Getting the luggage down the stairs was...interesting to say the least and sitting down on toilets is also rather a challenge right now. My feet look terrible and I still have these gigantic blisters but my surgeon dh says to leave them alone for a while and see if they reabsorb/heal a bit on their own. I am not quite sure how I am going to get shoes on for work tomorrow but we'll see.

So....right this minute I am not ready to sign up for another although I'm sure it will come along at some point (kind of like childbirth?). I think the half might be a great distance for me on a regular basis at least because I can keep in that shape all the time, and run one without too much trouble before or after. It's a challenge but still fun and I can walk afterwards.

Disney does a good job. But I expected more I think. In general I think they are not as -- I don't know, organized? spiffy? -- as they used to be. Our hotel room was kind of yuck, the coffee machine was broken, the employees were not very friendly or forthcoming with fairly simple requests (wake up call?)  and things didn't run seamlessly. However they do do a really nice job considering the gargantuan size of the thing and it's fun to run through the parks on the course and there were characters everywhere to take photos with if you wanted to (and runners really did wait on line to do this! During the race!). Some even got on a ride or too, which is crazy but whatever. Running through the castle in the Magic Kingdom was neat.

Bottom line, the best part of the race weekend was running with my Dingo Sisters. That was just AWESOME. I'll let them tell their own stories but they were fantastic, amazing women, and heroic runners.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#253 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post And I finished. Crossed the line in 4:59:13 which was a full 14 minutes slower than my goal time, but beats my previous marathon (admittedly 14 years ago but still) by over 9:30, and I beat 5 hours.

Yes, you did it! joy.gif It sounds so hard, but I got goosebumps reading about it, too. I admire your strength!!! bow.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#254 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Way to go!!!

#255 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

I did 7km on snowshoes today. That was fun! I just might do it again tomorrow smile.gif

#256 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Amazing job, Nic and Kathleen... very, very impressed! And wonderful race report. I dont know that I could ever run a marathon!

I did, though, run almost 7 hilly miles with just DH as my folks are still here. it's nice to have babysitters!

Mommajb, my PhD work was on nationalism and skinheads in the UK. It was very interesting, and also incredibly difficult to integrate how likeable some of my research subjects are alongside some of the things they believe and practice. Nowadays I look at elite deviance - usually state sponsored violence (in the West) and it makes me even sadder. On a personal note I went to a friend's sentencing on Friday and spoke up for her. She was incarcerated for 16 years and I don't think justice has been served... prison doesn't help society, in my view (though it is true that some people are dangerous and need to be kept away from people). Sociology is quite a depressing area of study!

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#257 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Hi lovely Dingos!!

Intro: My name is Chloe, a student midwife and doula, mama-at-heart, former dingo who used to post under some other name that I forgot over a long hiatus from MDC. So here I am with a new name whistling.gif

Goals: I'm not very good at keeping goals so I rarely make them. Oddly, if I don't set goals I accomplish more. What can I say, I'm a weirdo. Some general things I'd like to accomplish - some sort of forward/joyful movement of my body everyday...whether that's running or yoga or dance or walking, not important as long as it's there.  I'd also like to break some bad habits that have started to get a foothold towards the end of 2009 - sugar and junk/convenience food. I will stay on top of my midwifery studies (I'm in a distance program at the moment so it's easy to get behind). I will complete Anatomy & Physiology I&II over the summer. And, I will get my application in to a clinical program this fall.

Why I Run: I can't really call myself a runner or an athlete in anyway since I'm woefully out of shape, but I'd like to make a lifestyle change of being more active. Hence why I'm here. The thought of completing a marathon or hiking some great distance or just generally being comfortable in exercising in the presence of others (something that I currently have MASSIVE anxiety over) has always appealed to me. I think at this point, I run to prove that I can.

#258 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Congrats Disney runners! You guys ROCK!

#259 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Yay to the Disney runners! Love that you all ran together. WOOT!

I'm back from a weekend away for skiing -- good overall and I'm a little invigorated and ready to workout more.

I'm so intrigued by the 8 yo girl conversation. We have that too and we don't have tv to blame. I'm late to the conversation so I'll just multiquote and nod at appropriate times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
jaygee~Do you and DH still watch TV? We're not huge watchers here, but sometimes I need the brain rest, yk? Give me a glass of wine and "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and I become the most pleasant person you'd even want to be around. Gawd, did I really just admit that?!? Maybe I'll start with channel limits. Of course, that means I need to pay more attention to what they're watching so I know what to cut out. 

If you are considering cutting tv, perhaps a fair way to do it is to make it a family deal -- as in she looses her show, you loose your show. It doesn't have to be all about her all the time to get the message across. We've had success with the TV-free week (now screen free week) here. And by that I mean in the adult realm since our kids watch very very little tv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post 

I think DD is experimenting a bit emotional control much in the way that toddlers struggle with control of their environment.   We've tried giving DD some control over things by giving her space and allowing her to shut her brother out of her room, but only if done politely. 

I have come to the same conclusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
 The children need positive self esteem, solid interests, more responsibilty and self-control. This does not mean they should be allowed to be manipulaitve or take control over or given responsibilty for that which is outside certain ranges. In our house this means H is not 'in charge' of her siblings and cannot use toddler type fits to run the household though try she does.

Agreed. But it does mean that there are times when you do want her to take things over -- for instance apparently this morning dd1 organized making breakfast for dh in bed. It wasn't perfect, but she did managed to organize herself and her sister into collecting the items necessary. AND it meant she could think outside of her body enough to realize that perhaps someone else might like something done for them. Unfortunately the line between loving guidance and dictator is a fine one that 8 yr olds can't always understand when they cross.

And finally: I'm finding that when Erin crosses the line and is sassy or otherwise disrespectful I have the most success with telling her, "Right now I don't feel like you are treating me with respect."  Then I walk away and confront her later, not in the heat of the moment. I have to remind myself to express that I'm so not happy, but at the same time NOT engage. We're both super stubborn and it don't help the conversation.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#260 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
bec

WOOT, Disney Runners!!!!!! 

Nic - What a great race report.  Thing about the marathon, it will tear you down and build you back up again.  In the end, you are a marathoner, and have accomplished what few have.  Hold your head high, mama!  I hope your feet heal quickly.

Welcome Demeter!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#261 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Awesome race report, Nic!!!! 

Now I'm all motivated to run tomorrow!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#262 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM

tjsmama--the roads were that bad. From what I heard there were accidents on Hwy 36 and on I-70 this morning in Denver, and that was before the snow really set in. Our drive to church was slow and slick this morning. So, you're not a wuss.

Nick--awesome race report and congrats! joy.gif

Congrats also to the other Disney runners! clap.gif

It was 25 and snowy here, but 9 miles in the snow sounded better than 9 on the TM with children in the house. I had planned three loops of the neighborhood so I could use the bathroom or finish on the TM if it got too cold. It was ok out (20* windchill when I started, 15* windchill when I finished, about 3" of snow on the ground), but on the third loop, a coyote ran across the path, presumably to hunt for prairie dogs in the little strip of open space. So I turned around and finished my 9 on a detour. Glad it's done, and surprised how by how hard it is to run in the snow. Even with my yaktrax, it was a bit like running in sand. And that's what I blame for my glacial pace this afternoon. wink1.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#263 of 775 Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM

I haven't posted since my introduction, but I have been reading and running. I ran four times last week on the treadmill, including a few minutes at a time at a super amazingly fast 10:00 min/mile pace. I am very slow so this is actually really good for me. I am restarting running with more of a focus on speed this time because I would like to run with others sometimes but I am way too slow. So I have a question for anyone who wants to answer. How fast were you when you started (if it was in high school, please mention that), and did you just get faster with time and regular runs or did you do something special to get faster? Thanks.

Congrats to the Disney runners!! Nic, I loved reading your story and will be inspired by it on my runs this week.

Me, 36, DP, 39, stepDDs 14, and 15, and little DS born on his due date April 5, 2010.
#264 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Congrats, Disney runners.  I am so in awe and, Nic, I loved your race report!!!!!

JG  So sad that you DS might be penalized for looking bored.  A few thoughts.  I agree you should contact and meet with his teacher right away.  I love knowing my parents.( I have all my students for 3 years so this relationship is really important.)  I would also feel free to contact the teacher about this incident to get his/her perspective.  I am sometimes surprised by what my students believe happened and what my perspective was.....I guess I shouldn't be since my own kids perspective is very different than mine on occasion even when the experience was objectively the same.   Hopefully there is more to the story and you, your DS and the teacher can create the most positive learning environment......I know I may sound pie in the sky, but I am always hopeful that teachers really do love kids and also want what is best for them.  Good luck.

Our weekend was fabulous.  Quality time with a great friend after the kiddos were in bed Friday night.  DS1's ski program started and he loved it.  I skinned to the top of our ski area with DS2 in the ergo while that happened.  Then the kiddos did 3 hrs of daycare so I could finish some ski patrol refresher stuff and ski a few hours.  They were pleased because a friend had a birthday party in daycare. Yesterday most of the hill was on wind hold so we took a few runs as a family and came home.  I hit the bike trainer for about 50 minutes.

FM today:  Bike trainer 50 minutes, 100s and hopefully 20 minutes yoga.

Jo:  I am excited for you and your family for the potential, but WOW so much logistical prep and emotional change.  Amazing.

Jen, thought of you yesterday as I continued to delve back into my reiki practice.  How does your DD like Reiki?

Happy Monday.  My goal, maintain the sanity of the weekend through this week.  Meals are prepped and most laundry is done in hopes this will help.  Kid thank you notes are finally created and written so I just need to mail them!!!

To those going refined sugar free.  I finally started.  Two days of healthy eating and I am feeling better and being kinder.  Thanks for the added motivation.  I am better at doing (work out) than not doing (say no to sweets).whistling.gif

Aimee, wife to Chris, mom to two amazing boys 8/06 and 4/09. Reliving childhood with the boys.
#265 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 AM

clap.gif nicole What a great report from a marathoner. I hope you don;t have to be on your feet too much today and that your shoes are comfortable.

Kristin you alway make such great points. My thing with responsibilty is that it should not be contrived. Children are smart and can tell when they are being blown a bunch of hooey. Self esteem and positive self thought allow a child to value others. Once a person values themselves they can see that they have something to offer. When what they offer is valued a positive cycle starts. Your example is perfect - she understood what she could do (breakfast) and that others would appreciate it. In my example, Helen may not be in charge of her brother but she can get him a drink because she can pour the milk.

I hope this morning goes smoothly and there isn't too much attitude before breakfast. Off I go to find out.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#266 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 AM

Intro: I'm Rebecca, 23, mother to a 2 year old son and a 7 week old daughter.  I have never had a huge interest in athletics but I've found my mother's mid-life athleticism inspiring (she is a marathoner and triathlete.)   I've never to my remembrance been able to run a mile. 

Goal: Forward motion for now ;) But I really do want to surprise my mother (and myself?) by training for the half marathon in Tulsa in November.

Why I (want to) Run:

Because despite being told by my parents for my entire life that I was beautiful and brilliant and could do anything I wanted in the world, I severely lacked the ability to follow through until becoming a mother.  Experiencing pregnancies that at times felt unbearable, parenting through things that I thought none of us would be able to handle, and then the natural childbirth of my second child have all really changed my view of myself and my ability to endure without just giving up on things as I've tended to do in the past.

I'm loving reading this thread and tomorrow I plan on taking a walk of some distance yet-to-be-determined despite the current snow falling outside. 

#267 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 AM

flowersforyou.gif Nic! So proud of you, mama. Be gentle with yourself back at work.

Looking forward to hearing about BBM and HBM, too. I am so happy you ladies got to meet up. luxlove.gif

Shanti, I think I may be jealous of the snowshoeing. I have for years been so awestruck by kerc's skiing, but I don't see myself skiing. But I have gone snowshoeing and so enjoyed it! Sounds lovely.

Welcome Stories and welcome back, Demeter. Not that you weren't a Dingo while you've been off-thread. blowkiss.gif

Yoga again last night. I think it might become a new healthy addiction. My yoga teacher is a dear friend, so she is comfortable challenging and pushing me a little, and I am not afraid to fail. Considering I had not breathed fully all week, this session was really helpful. By the end, I was really breathing and feeling energized again. I know if we do end up moving I likely won't have much ability to run outdoors (heat and dust), so I suppose it's exactly the right time to be introduced to this practice. And another dear friend bought me a sweet pair of the cutest-ever pants that are perfect for yoga.

Thinking my Y workout will have to be after school if at all today. I have a work meeting but I also have a couple deadlines early this week. If I can hit the deadlines and keep it together until dh gets some word about his situation, then maybe I can save the second half of the week for falling apart. On the really, really good side, I seem to be past the binge-eating-as-solution phase. I can just worry outright and obsess about my real obsession. winky.gif

Have a great day, Dingos!

#268 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 05:45 AM

Jo, sending you good vibes and prayers that everything works out the way you want it to and it goes smoothly and easily. blowkiss.gif

I have much to say about the topic of 8 year old girls/attitude, since I have a 10 year old girl and we have been through this chronically. Now is not the time but I will hopefully get back to you later.

I did manage to get my shoes on today but my feet are a bit of a mess. I'm sore and sitting down is a challenge but MUCH better than yesterday. I am starting to process a little...thinking of the next one...did I just say that?!

JayGee, I hope you can work things out with your ds' teacher. I feel similarly to Searcher but I also know that some teachers try to 'lay down the law' early and often with new students to keep the rhythm of the class steady when confronted with a change midyear. I don't condone this but it wouldn't surprise me either. Hoping for the best for your ds.

More later...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#269 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Jo I would love to go snoeshoeing with you love.gif I do some cross country skiing too but I love the ease of popping the snowshoes on over my regular boots and just doing it.I am thinking of taking them down to the beach today but we'll see,

8 was a hard year for all of my kids - it reminded me a lot of 3 actually! I think some similar growing pains are happening for kids, just at a different developmental level. 13 was rough for ds but once he graduated from elementary school he was as happy as he had been as a little guy again and not at nearly 15 he is a delight. Well, most of the time eyesroll.gif but that could be said for anyone!

#270 of 775 Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Shanti and Jo ~ I want to go snowshoeing with you two!

Jo ~ Glad you are loving Yoga.  Isn't it lovely?! :)  My teacher used to be a dear friend of mine too and it was a great connection. <3

Searcher ~  I have done Reiki on dd since she was born but the times when I usually try is while she's sleeping and without even touching her she wakes. Not quite sure what it means. :)  Sometimes during nursing she will pull my hand to her heart asking for it.  What about yours?  What level are you?

It's Girls' Day here so I have to get ready to run errands with my mom and sister.  Happy Monday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page