Mothering Forum banner

"I resolve to run with the Dingos in 2011" January thread

29K views 774 replies 49 participants last post by  Nickarolaberry 
#1 ·
Welcome Old Dingos! Welcome New Dingos!

If you're interested in running, forward motion, or something approximating it, come and join the Dingos. Wondering if it's for you? Well, read our Wiki.

Really, dingohood is in the heart and soul, not the distance. Hang around a little and you get the impression we all run daily marathons. Hang around longer and you'll notice that, as is normal for human nature, those that run 1-3 miles at a time will report that they went running, and those that run 10+ miles will *always* quote the distance. It's kinda like reading baby message boards and coming away with the impression that every baby but yours was walking and reciting poetry by 9 months. It's just 'cuz all parents celebrate the walking. Those with 9 month olds will say "9 mo old dinglet is walking!" whereas those of us whose kids finally get off their tushes at 15 months will say "DS is walking! Yay!". Note the difference? Same goes with our distances. Really, a lot of us are running just a few miles at a time.

Some place below will be a race list (and maybe a refreshed results list?) to help us cheer on those who've entered a race.

Time for a reminder dingos! Post an intro, your resolutions, and why you run. Then get out the door (or hop on the 'mill) and get running.

Intro: I'm Geofizz, a geophysics prof (didja guess that?) living someplace I resent to do it. Two kids: DD-8 in third grade and DS-5, who is working hard to be old enough for school. DH is an enginerd currently working on figuring out if new amusement park rides will stand up. Dingo since 2004.

Goal: 762 miles for 2011. (That's last year's 750 + 12 more).

Why I run:

Stress management: I'm really not a very nice person when I'm not exercising. I also know I *have* to take care of myself or else.

Health: I want to see my grand kids graduate from college. I want to be able to play with my grand kids when they're young.

Weight management: I'm 2 pounds less than this time last year! 750 miles kept me.... in place. But I'm healthy and almost a normal weight, and I'm gonna take it and run.

Silence: My house can get pretty noisy. The park is sometimes a bit noisy, but it's at least not noise I'm responsible for.

To watch the seasons change: I love seeing the neighborhood throughout the year.

To be the biggest neighborhood busybody: Seriously, I know what everyone's up to cuz I run past their house every day. And for those that don't keep their blinds closed, really, you should. I know more about you than I want to.

The challenge: Sometimes running can be easy, sometimes challenging. In the last year, I learned to love the challenge, working to increase my cruising speed from 10:30 min/mile to ~9:15 min/mile. It took a lot of work, which to my surprise, I mostly loved.

To hang with the dingos. In the real and online worlds.

See less See more
#477 ·
In the realm of things that almost don't matter... I want/need a new jacket for running. I have what I think is a soft shell type thing that is great for super cold mid winter runs but it is too much sometimes and plain black with some reflective bits but not much. It is wind and water 'proof' and super warm but not vented. I have to hang it inside out to dry for the rest of the day after I run in it. I was looking or something for springy and vented with more reflectivity. I got this ad yesterday from skirt sports. I want it but I have never been able to cough up the money for any of their stuff. Does anyone have cheaper suggestions or a coupon code or??

#480 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

In the realm of things that almost don't matter... I want/need a new jacket for running. I have what I think is a soft shell type thing that is great for super cold mid winter runs but it is too much sometimes and plain black with some reflective bits but not much. It is wind and water 'proof' and super warm but not vented. I have to hang it inside out to dry for the rest of the day after I run in it. I was looking or something for springy and vented with more reflectivity. I got this ad yesterday from skirt sports. I want it but I have never been able to cough up the money for any of their stuff. Does anyone have cheaper suggestions or a coupon code or??
I wear a bright yellow cycling jacket. I would prioritize white/yellow over reflective spots. That jacket looks kinda plastic-y and maybe only reflective at the right angle? I also wear a red flashing light on the street side of me. I've also seen a lot of people out with a reflective bib over their regular daytime clothes.

#481 ·
I saw that ad Mommajb. I do love their bottoms but have never bought any tops. That said, try sierra trading post, or running warehouse, or trizone, or one of those for clearance deals.

I started a run this morning and got caught in a massive rainstorm (like, soap suds were coming out of my shorts) so I cut it short. I don't really want to run by myself in the dark and rain and chance getting sick (which is already a chance given what is going on in my house) so hopefully I'll get another one in later, but if not, there's always tomorrow. I am starting a training plan for my next half, but this week is still 'take it easy after marathon' even though I feel really fine.

I need some help clarifying my thoughts and getting some input on an educational question for my kids.

So...you might (or might not) know that right now they are all in a public charter Montessori school. The regular public schools here are very, very big (their districted school K-8 has over 1400 kids. And they teach to the FCAT, which is our state standardized test. They are not 'bad' schools, although they are very traditional and test oriented. As public schools go, they are the 'best' in Florida. What that means is not precisely clear.

I picked the Montessori when we moved here 18 months ago because it's small; has an educational philosophy I think is valuable (although not necessarily the be-all/end-all); and emphasizes other values like diversity, ecological/environmental stewardship, understanding our role as global citizens, etc. I didn't want them warehoused or sitting at desks in rows learning how to fill in bubbles most of the day (I am exaggerating but you get the idea). My oldest, especially, is a very intensely artistic kid who is sensitive, very verbal (and advanced in her reading/writing skills), and unhappy with math. She also is very resistant to homework. My younger two are a bit more easygoing academically although it is becoming clear they probably both fall into the 'gifted' category and will need some additional enrichment/appropriate challenge.

I took a job teaching the 7/8 grades social studies at this school, just to be with my kids. Adjunct professorship jobs are few and far between here, and the closest schools hiring tenure track faculty are over an hour away...not possible for me. Dh needs (it's in his contract) to live within 20 minutes of the hospital, which is where we are.

When we were in NY, the kids were all in traditional, private religious schools -- and I taught AP courses in a yeshiva high school. I was happy, at that time, with the curricula they were following (for the most part) and as private schools they were not being taught to standardized tests.

Okay. So I've been interested in getting them back into a more friendly (religiously) environment; there are so few other Jews here that it is hard for them, even with the support of their current school. People just don't always get it, and there can be unexpected and unpleasant situations and challenges. They are not insurmountable, but they are definitely difficult sometimes.

There is a Jewish day school here. I went to look at it with dh, the kids went to look at it with me today. It's a great school. Academically it *far* surpasses where they are -- both because of the way they integrate unit/project studies with traditional curriclum and because they are not teaching to a standardized test -- also the class size ratios are superb and they have great physical and material resources as well (library, computers, lunch room, playground, books, materials, science lab, etc.).

The down side? It's expensive. It's really expensive. I'd have to get a job there to make it work, and even then it will be difficult. I don't even know if they'll have a job for me. I would have to plan for them staying in their current place and my staying at my current job concurrently with applying to the private school for them and hoping I can get a job there (which is entirely dependent on enrollment, because they've already said they want me if they can get me a position). My current job is okay, but if my own kids weren't at the school I wouldn't continue there. I mainly work there to be near them. But it isn't like jobs are thick on the ground here, either.

I'm really hesitant to commit to sending 3 kids to private school for the forseeable future. When we were in NY it was a given that they'd go to private religious schools but it was a huge strain on our finances. On the other hand, there simply is no public educational equivalent for them. I could homeschool, but I really am at the point where I feel I need to be making some money independently right now. That could change but not right now.

My oldest is pretty resistant to the idea of changing schools, although she'd adjust. She doesn't like change in general. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a factor.

Can anyone help me clarify? I am feeling very challenged by this whole thing.

#482 ·
Nick: It sounds like a) it's a better school b) they want to give you a job and c) it would better suit the cultural/religious facet of your lives. So, would they cut you a deal on tuition if your kids attend school there? Since there are three of them?

It sounds like you would like to switch, right?

#483 ·
I would like to switch (probably), and they would like to give me a job (but it will not be a sure thing until nearly the last minute as it depends on enrollment). Tuition -- there is a break if you work there, and a small discount for multiple children. It's still a heavy financial committment though.

Sigh.

#484 ·
re jacket: okay, okay and thank you. I'll stick with my sierra trading post rain coat that is well vented and the refletive bib. I was being silly.

re schools: Nic, I think I get it. Our public schools were for so long thought to be 'not an option.' Then I needed a sabbatical from homeschooling and the kids needed something. The financial commitment of the private schools is overwhelming to me (we have 2 children there) and the public schol are underwhelming (we have two children there). I am looking at job possibilities but not income possibilities (regular child care for the little guy would not be covered, piecing child-care together is unreliable). You have the added issue of religious education and acceptance. Can you be in two places at once? Can you not leave the montessori school while still moving forward at the Jewish Day School and actually decide when you know more? If you can swing it now can you try not to think about all the what-ifs? Or what if you got a job in the second year of enrollment? How much of your pay package would be salary and how much would be tuition? (That said, don't sell yourself short.) How cooperative is the school? What is the expected contribution from the parents? On top of tuition are you expected to buy tables at charity dinners for an additional $5000 (ask me where that number came from and no we aren't buying one
eyesroll.gif
), vVolunteer a set number of hours a year, etc? While it is time to look around it might not be decision time.

#485 ·
Right - I understand about the $$ question. It is hard to make a long-term commitment knowing that it will be tight in terms of cash-flow. And the uncertainty about the job really compounds that. It's too bad you can't do it one step at a time, like get the job first... but that doesn't really make sense.

Jo: I meant to comment on your DH's job offer ! Wowza!!! What a change is coming down the road for you and your family! But it sounds like an incredible opportunity. As for being the one responsible for winding things up here, it must really seem overwhelming, but it will develop over time. With lots of lists and preparation and good days and bad ones and all that... it will happen.

I hope you blog about living overseas!!! And don't forget your Dingo pals.
winky.gif

#487 ·
Mommajb, those are excellent questions. You get it exactly. I have some more research to do.

I guess I feel part of the urgency is for dd1, who will be going into 5th grade next year. At our current school that means middle school, and although (because) I am a teacher in the middle school, I am VERY leery of this -- for both social and academic reasons. At the private school, 5th grade is still elementary but it does go through 8th grade, which would mean she could spend a full 4 years there if we switched over.

I have some discussing with dh to do. I hope it will be a conversation, and not just 'well this is my decision' -- he tends to do most of his considering in his own mind and once it is made up, nothing short of a locomotive could change it. He actually has put a tremendous amount of trust in me on the educational front, which I appreciate. I want to do the right thing for the kids *and* for me.

I don't want to be somewhere the kids are not, but mainly it would be physically impossible to do as the current school is on the very south side of the area we live in now and the other one would be on the far north side. We live smack in the middle so commute to either is no big deal but it would not be possible for me to work at one and the kids be at the other, kwim?

ETA: I am not telling the Montessori anything at all at this point...because it's public, I will keep them registered there til the very last second even if I go ahead and enroll them at the private. There's no issue with spaces, it's not full right now. So I have no ethical issue about excluding someone by doing that. As for myself, I will not be telling them if I decide to leave also until the last minute. I know that's not fair, but they fire people without warning (we have no contract). I have to have some job security. You can all go ahead and yell at me now. <ducking>

I am, despite very serious misgivings, going to the Parent Preview day at the designated gifted/talented public school here, next week. My youngest couldn't even go there now (it's grades 2-12) and I'd have to get my oldest privately tested, as she decided not to cooperate with the school's tester (roll eyes) to qualify. Dd2 probably would qualify on her own if we decided to go that route. I am also leery of it though because of the reputation for piling on homework and 'weeding out' new students; the gifted view there seems to be that a kid has to be equally gifted on all learning areas. So if you have a kid (like I do) who is definitely gifted/advanced in verbal areas (is in 4th grades and reads/writes at an 8th grade level) but on grade level in other areas (math), you have a problem. Gah.

What is probably going to happen is that I'm going to drive myself and everyone else totally nuts, and then stay in the same place. I do tend to have this habit. But I am at heart a researcher and I never feel like I am doing the right thing unless I search out every.single.option. I think it might be slightly OCD as well.

Still though, the private school would be my first choice if money were no object. It is most unfortunate that I don't have a money tree outside. I have an orange tree, but it ain't helping much.

By the way, pretty sure I'm going to do disney again next year, and maybe Goofy! It's just so convenient for me, and also means I don't have to do the big long runs in the summer heat here -- which a fall marathon would mean. Anyone in?

#488 ·
Quick reply for nic: be sure to watch the chronicle for ads in your area. There are jobs posted in the geosciences all the freaking time. Also I would be willing to work 2 x a week 1 hr from home vs. 5 x a week doing something I don't love. To quote Jenn B: more coming later, maybe.....

#489 ·
Jo - I am going to have to go back and do some reading to catch up on your story!

Nickarollaberry - I hope the conversation with your dh goes well. I wish there was an easier solution for you and your kids.

RR -I have been out on snowshoes a lot over the last two weeks - almost every day, I think. I go off the trails as often as I can to get a better workout and I am usually out for 60-90 minutes each time. It is so much fun that I want the snow to last as long as possible! With my asthma I find that snowshoeing is just about the perfect form of exercise for me so I am not having the problems I often have with running but feel like I am getting a better workout.

#490 ·
Nic would it be a possibility to just send you oldest dd to the private school? My children attend a private/Catholic school and it is not unusual for parents to send siblings to different schools if they have needs that cannot be met there. Just a thought.

Had a lovely little 3.5 today despite feeling terrible this morning, been very busy which = little sleep. After my 11.5 this weekend I am feeling really good about my 1/2.

Take care all

#491 ·
Nic, I was thinking kinda the same thing as modmom--breaking up the kids and starting with just your about-to-be-5th grader at the new school. I do understand the downsides of splitting up the kids. Also, does the new school offer any financial aid? I was shocked when we applied for and got some for our daughter. I had a hard time applying for it, because it made me feel small and inadequate and all kids of other garbage money issues, but it has made the difference for us in being able to keep DD in her private school while we wait for the job fairy to visit my DH.

Jooj--I am excited for you and your family! I can imagine it will be hard to say goodbye to the animals and the life you have built, but this sounds like a great move for your family!

And Jen, wow, I am torn between a little sadness that you will be further away and a lot of happiness that you are looking at a great opportunity for yourself career-wise.

Much less sore after working out than I was last week, so I am glad to be improving. Still coughing the day after though, but it is irritation, not infection. Argh.

#492 ·
JO!! I am stepping away from building a better apron to say CONGRATS!
joy.gif
Wow, I love big life changes
eat.gif
(I know it's a weird icon for that, but I am trying to hurry before being seen at work and it's the first available emoticon)

MEL! I registered for the race
eat.gif
and I will be booking my ticket tonight!
eat.gif

#493 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

JO!! I am stepping away from building a better apron to say CONGRATS!
joy.gif
Wow, I love big life changes
eat.gif
(I know it's a weird icon for that, but I am trying to hurry before being seen at work and it's the first available emoticon)

MEL! I registered for the race
eat.gif
and I will be booking my ticket tonight!
eat.gif
ROTFLMAO.gif
At your choice of icons &
joy.gif
that you are coming to Cooper River Bridge Run!! Yippee!!

#494 ·
Poppy! I love your use of emoticons!
eat.gif
Dh and I are (obviously) big-change cravers. This feels right.

Nick, my parents split us between schools and I think I was the first removed due to special needs a teacher with a personal vendetta against a second-grader an apparent misdiagnosis. It was not a big deal being in different schools, but this was a small town where public and private all rode the same buses and such, so there was almost no logistical effect. And in our case, private was most definitely not better. That said, you seem to have a good grasp on what your kids need and where they can get it. I hope a discussion with dh can bring clarity and maybe some creative solutions. Is there any room left for brainstorming? You're pretty comprehensive in your approach.

And thank you for your kind and loving wishes.
love.gif
And that goes to all yall, my Dingos.

Notice-giving went well, considering. It is nice to be told I'll be missed, and I got a lot of encouragement and sincere well wishes. Also, more suggestions to blog on it, which I think I just might try. If nothing else, it could be a good place to keep my running to-do lists.
geek.gif
I also admit that my first order of business was browsing sandals (who wouldn't in WI in January, given the circumstances?) and checking out villas on the Internet.

And RR: I am finally back to the Y tomorrow AM, before a client lunch for work. Will also work out Friday with my sister at the Y.
thumb.gif

#495 ·
JayGee - Boo on your dh for behaving resentful because you are home sick
hammer.gif

Nic - Wow. That is an awful lot to think over. I guess I would sit down and list the pros and cons. Like you, I'm a little OCD
wink1.gif
Since it sounds like you wouldn't mind changing jobs and you think your oldest would adjust, then I would ask what you would have to give up and/or cut back on. If you actually can *afford* (both financially and emotionally) to make the change, then I say GO FOR IT! Your children should have the best education that you can give them.

RR: Another day of C25K. I managed to do my jogging pieces at a 10min/mile pace on the treadmill today. What I found strange was my shins were very painful when I was WALKING. They felt fine during the jog. I also did 15 minutes of weights and 45 minutes on the big bike
smile.gif

#496 ·
I have been trying to read to keep up, but with single parenting, skiing, work and snow days I am quite far behind.

Jo-YIPEEEEEE!!!! May this be everything you and your family dream.
jumpers.gif

Nic- For what it is worth I think school choices are agonizing, yet also believe that whatever you choose will be fine because your kids are in a safe place and hav ethe love and support of a wonderful family.

Hugs to all sick dingos and dinglets.

Zub- That stinks about the heat and cold shower. Why is it that it always seems that all money things hit at once.
duh.gif

I am jealous of all the outdoor runners. Snowy roads, lack of daylight and too cold for kids in the stroller have kept me on the trainer or with videos. I did have a great 2mile 2000' vertical skin with my littlest in the pack this weekend and that was fabulous.

Off to grade.....woohooo.

#497 ·
Well, I'm slowly starting to feel a bit better. I realized earlier today that my massive headache was due to lack of caffiene, not the flu anymore. All fixed with a Diet Coke! DS is still spiking fevers up to 104, but no other symptoms. I sent DH out to play soccer tonight. Honestly, I was just sick of him arguing every single thing with me. Honestly, when I am "perfect" he's all love and charm, but as soon as I show a sliver of humanity (ie. getting sick), he becomes quite the ass. Sigh.

Jo ~ so, so very happy for you and your family! You MUST blog about this. Have you told the children yet? How do the villas look?! I keep thinking how non-stressful it will be for your family to live in a Muslim country. None of that Christmastime angst!

Nic ~ what a difficult place to be in. I hope you can find some peace in your decision making process. I wish I could offer some insight, but alas, I've got nothin'!

Shanti and Balancin ~ lovely to see you both at the Dingo Cafe
smile.gif
!

I'm feeling continued frustration with my kids' new school. It's very worksheet, textbook, workbook. They don't read "real" books, just those awful readers that have little stories in them with comprehension questions at the end. And today DD brought home the work DS missed and included in the pile was a workbook entitled "ISAT Coach" (ISAT is the Illinois standardized test). Really??? You need a workbook to practice reading passages and filling in the bubbles????? Bloomington schools were the opposite ~ tons more projects, all reading done from real books, concepts for the standardized tests taught during the class content, not separately as test prep. And, as far as I can tell, they have no ability differentiation in the classrooms here. ALL the first graders read the same exact story, no matter what reading level they are. We all know that 1st graders can read at vastly different levels. What have I gotten myself into? Of course, when I mentioned this to DH, he replied with a flippant, "Well, at least they're not getting rocks thrown at them like I did in 1st grade!" I'm just not feeling comfortable at all with anything.

I need to run, but first I need to be able to stand upright for more than ten minutes without needing a nap.

#498 ·
RM--I hate hate hate cavities. Hope it went well.

Nick--Definitely go to the parent preview day. It is likely that they want them to score highly across the board (in our district, that's what differentiates who gets an ALP and a weekly enrichment pull-out vs who gets to be enrolled in the Gifted Center class). But, it should be based on learning aptitude and not simply on being ahead of grade level. Is there a possibility that if her math instruction was accelerated that she'd keep up? Also, is there a possibility that in an environment where everyone is focused on learning and there's no pressure to act average that she'd flourish? Good luck at any rate. I'm really leery of spending a lot of money on K-12 ed when I know that college, even with scholarships, is going to be expensive--while also realizing that if a kid is shortchanged in K-12 it can affect scholarships and stuff too. Bleh.

Shanti--that's awesome. I love snowshoeing.

RR: after I dropped R off at school I ran to the store, got my stuff and realized it was sunny and 37 and I could squeeze a run in before school pick-up if I hurried. So I got home, left J in the car seat because she was still asleep, and started changing into my outdoor running clothes when out of nowhere the winds started gusting. So I ran back outside, pull J's carseat in (I'd left her in the car so I could just move her to the stroller that lives in the garage without waking her), changed into indoor running clothes and ran a fast 3 on the treadmill. Amazingly, J stayed asleep the whole time! She never does that. I'd guess the storm front affected her though. Remember how it was 37 and sunny when I got home? About 15 minutes into my treadmill run it looked like it had started to flurry outside. At the end of my 30-minute run it was clearly snowing and 10 minutes later it was snowing and blowing and ugly. I got into the car to get R and the temperature had dropped to 27; by the time we headed home about 20 minutes later, it was 22. Craziness!

#499 ·
Oh, JayGee - The schools are so caught up in ISAT madness. It is horrid, and the pressure they put on these kids is incredible. I love my kids' school, but there is still a month of test prep (we are getting into it), and it is obnoxious.

With that said, my district is looking to close their school, either next school year, or the following. I'm so upset about it. I don't have a clue what this means for my kids' education. The best I can hope for is that Katie will be out of the school before it closes. I would say she is the most difficult of the kids to educate with her learning issues, IEP etc. But, she HAS an IEP, so she already has a structure that helps guide her educators. This school has been fabulously supportive and patient with her, celebrating her learning differences rather than making her feel like a failure for not learning like everybody else. I would love for her to finish elementary at this place. It has given her such a good foundation. Emily, however, is a 1st grade aged kid, in 2nd grade, doing 3rd grade work and coasting. I shudder to think what will happen to her when they make the switch. Right now, her teacher and this school are naturally and seamlessly differentiating for her, and keeping her interested enough. And, Poor Abby isn't going to get any of the benefits of this awesome school. Argh!

Which brings me to my much needed, and successful running of the day! We were running in tri class this evening, and based on that mileage, I decided to make today my long run. So, I ran 2 miles at home in the afternoon. It was really nice. Good run, even if I was a bit bored. Then to class. We did 20 minutes on the indoor track. I managed about 2.25 miles in that time, so I had a great pace (realizing I'm definitely faster than on the mill, where that pace would have killed me!). Then, we moved to the dreadmill for 20 minutes. 5 minutes at a moderate pace (I chose 11:30 pace), then, 1 minute sprints with a 1 minute recovery walk for 10 minutes, finishing with 5 minutes of moderate pace again. We ended the evening with 20 minutes of running up and down the stairs (3 floors). That nearly killed me! TOUGH! I figured, with the stairs, I did over 6 miles total for the day. Phew!

#500 ·
poppy~
biglaugh.gif

jo~
joy.gif
for having direction and definition. And seriously, I CANNOT wait to hear all about your life over there!!!

nic~Like Chelsea asked, are there options for financial aid/scholarships?

real~Seriously! It was 46 when I dropped DS off at preschool. Went into King Soopers at 1:30, came out at 2 and it had dropped 20 degrees and started snowing! I'm glad we're headed up for skiing tomorrow anyway and that hopefully sidewalks will be melted off by Friday.

I may be stupid, or crazy, or both. Or maybe incredibly smart, I'm just not sure.
orngtongue.gif
I got invited to go stay up in Vail this weekend with friends. For free. I was consciously planning on NOT skiing on Saturday since I have a 10k on Sunday. But come on. Vail. Free room. How on earth can I pass that up? So, um, giving up any slight hope (really, there wasn't much anyway) of actually running fast in the 10k and I'm going skiing on Saturday!
bag.gif

DS and I were already headed up tomorrow. I said I wanted to cram as much fun as possible in before school starts back up, right? Sinus crud is still hanging around, but semi-under-control, at least. I signed away my first (and only) born at the pharmacy to get some sudafed this afternoon. I really could have used a nap, but no such luck. DS and I tackled the playroom and I have to brag about how proud I am of him. We desperately needed to do a toy purge, and he was SO good about it. A few things took a little persuasion, but all I really needed to do was call it a baby toy, and that was good enough for him to get rid of it.
lol.gif
Now to figure out what to do with it...I could really stand to sell it and make some money, but seems like more of a hassle than it's worth for the little bit of $ I would get out of it. I could give it away to the Y or Goodwill. Or I could pack it away in case I ever have another kid. Hmm.

rr~Track this morning, before the snowstorm hit. Forgot my Garmin. :doh I had no hope of pacing myself, so I just hung out with the group. Which means I probably could have gone faster, but considering skiing and racing, I wasn't really feeling the necessity.
orngtongue.gif
9 x 300 with 100 recoveries, so I figure it was around 3 miles total.

#501 ·
RM, I've been planning on Carmel in June, then Columbus in the fall. I have the monumental on my planning sheet. Carmel I am thinking full and I am undecided on the others.

Nic, We moved dd in Nov from the public schools. It feels better but not totally worth what it costs. It is right for ds1, okay for her. I had more but cannot recall it. GT programs vary and I am a bit jaded and deleted a rant. The whole person is to be considered and I am sure you are. Investigate and gather all the information you can stand.

Shanti, you make snowshoeing sound lovely.

Jo, when you mentioned meeting your sister I began to wonder how your family is reacting to this big move?

JG, I am glad you are feeling better. Is it possible that he isn't worried about schools because he wants you to homeschool?

Gaye, the toys aren't purged if you store them!

Bedbugs have me wigged out about travel. I hear they are in the dorms at IU now (unconfirmed by me). I am going to drive in the wee hours this weekend rather than get a hotel. Dd1 and Ds1 have a program that starts at 8AM on Saturday. I figure we'll leave very early, find what we need, go to breakfast, then show up. I was going to get a hotel but... No. In other news dd1 started the saxophone this week and she likes to practice though she is not nearly as talented as Lisa Simpson. It is a very long story but I made a bad educational decision last spring and this is how I am paying for it.

4 miles on the TM this morning and it about killed me. At about 2.3 miles they closed school. When it snows we do not have school, ever. It peeves me though my girls are enjoying thier sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.