Postpartum Weight Loss- January! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It could be some water retention-my rings and shoes still don't fit right. But I went up in inches and pounds and those things fit better than last month, so I know it's not all water. This is getting really depressing! I was looking through old pictures for ones of one of my dd for her endocrinologist and noticed by this far pp with my last two kids, I was back into size 8 and small tops. I'm usually a 4-6. I can't even fit in size 12 right now. All I've lost so far this time is boobage. greensad.gif

1/19/10
Weight (Naked Before Shower) 152
Top of Breasts - 34 & 37
Under Breasts - 32
Belly at Belly Button - 36
Hips - 40
Upper Thighs - 24
Upper Arm - 11
Neck - 12
Waist -33

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kittywitty- I am also a size 4/6 and could barley fit into a 12 about the same time postpartum. It's very frustrating. Don't give up.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Me too! I am a size 6 right now, and at 2 and a half months postpartum I was definitely in like a 12/14.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Amanda, I was reminded of your talk of having reached a plateau and when I came across this today:

"From A User’s Guide to the Brain: While a new task is being learned by specific circuits in the frontal cortex, many neighboring neurons drop whatever they are doing to assist in the process. Once the task has been mastered and executed a number of times, the firing patterns become established and the behavior automatic. It no longer requires conscious attention.

Perhaps this explains the plateau people experience in exercise.   When you are first learning to coordinate your body, your brain has to work much harder.  Once the brain has established a good connection to the muscles and the pattern used for the task, you no longer have the extra work of organizing neurological current, preparing the muscle for water and glycogen storage, and growing capillaries.  All of these tasks use kcals as energy – so when the jobs decrease, so does the caloric expenditure."  -Katy Bowman

Maybe you (by you I mean any one of us who feels that they have reached a plateau) need to try a different exercise rather than simply trying to work harder? 

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM

I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time since I got sick and was VERY pleasantly surprised!  Last time I checked I was 139.1, this morning? 136.5!!  So thrilled! I would rather not have had to experience the flu for the past week, but at least there was a positive after all my suffering.  I don't think my appetite was affected much so I was still eating around the same, and I wasn't exercising because my body ached too badly, the only thing I can attribute to helping is the fact that I was chugging water like it was my job since I was so thirsty.  I think I was averaging 5 quarts a day.  I think I am going to have to stick with an increase in fluids and see how it works along with exercise.  I am curious to see if my body was still in stress/famine/dehydration mode and hoarding unnecessary calories. 

I can't wait for spring!  These 0°F days are killing me right now.  I keep telling myself that we are gaining sunlight every day, but I don't think it is helping.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

Maybe you (by you I mean any one of us who feels that they have reached a plateau) need to try a different exercise rather than simply trying to work harder? 

You are so right. It's all about muscle confusion.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post

lol.gif for some reason this really amused me.  Quick!  Lets change it up and confuse the fat so we can triumph!  Next on the list the kids!  If we can confuse them, we will win!! (Of course this sounds suspiciously like my school days, hmmm)  Sorry, I'm in a bit of a silly mood, I got my first night of good sleep in about a week last night.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post

lol.gif for some reason this really amused me.  Quick!  Lets change it up and confuse the fat so we can triumph!  Next on the list the kids!  If we can confuse them, we will win!! (Of course this sounds suspiciously like my school days, hmmm)  Sorry, I'm in a bit of a silly mood, I got my first night of good sleep in about a week last night.

lol. Funny, I too got my first night good sleep in a looong time.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Kittywitty!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi Everyone! Is anyone else having a hard time with eating? Or, I should say, eating healthy? I am sooo sick of chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli, salads, etc. I really need some new ideas. It seems like the more I try to stay on track, the more I want what I can't have. Doesn't help that it's Mardi Gras season here and everytime I walk into a grocery store I'm bombarded with kingcake. If anyone has any ideas for healthy recipes that actually taste good, please please post them. What I'm trying to do is eat a high protein diet, with meals about every 3 hours and I am seriously running out of ideas. Help!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM

I've been trying to make sure we eat more beans for protein (at least once a week) and I always use whole wheat pasta instead of regular.  I don't focus on making diet food per say, but here are some of the healthier things I've made recently:

Brazilian Rice and Beans

Minestrone Soup

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup and Rustic White Bread

Chicken, Corn, and Black Bean Soup

Another Black Bean Soup  (I think this one was my favorite, but Hey, Babe liked the pumpkin one)

Baked Chicken Parmesan

Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I've been trying to make sure we eat more beans for protein (at least once a week) and I always use whole wheat pasta instead of regular.  I don't focus on making diet food per say, but here are some of the healthier things I've made recently:

Brazilian Rice and Beans

Minestrone Soup

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup and Rustic White Bread

Chicken, Corn, and Black Bean Soup

Another Black Bean Soup  (I think this one was my favorite, but Hey, Babe liked the pumpkin one)

Baked Chicken Parmesan

Thanks! I don't diet, either. What I mean by that is I try not to eat processed foods, white bread, etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry to have been missing lately. I had a week of travel last week. It was the first time I had to leave the baby overnight. It was no fun, I missed her terribly. I think it did not help that it was work travel. Perhaps if it had been DH and I getting a way...

Anyhow, I ran/walked the 5K and finished in 39 minutes 43 seconds. I was pretty happy with that and it was fun. I think I could get in to running. I am back down to my pre-holiday weight Sheepish.gif so I hope to report a loss here soon. Looks like everyone is doing well!

I have also been looking for inspiration in the "what can i eat" department. Groupon had a cheap 6 month membership to a website called Relish that has been helping with inspiration. We also signed up for a CSA. I hope we get a spot.

Keep it up ladies!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

Sorry to have been missing lately. I had a week of travel last week. It was the first time I had to leave the baby overnight. It was no fun, I missed her terribly. I think it did not help that it was work travel. Perhaps if it had been DH and I getting a way...

Anyhow, I ran/walked the 5K and finished in 39 minutes 43 seconds. I was pretty happy with that and it was fun. I think I could get in to running. I am back down to my pre-holiday weight Sheepish.gif so I hope to report a loss here soon. Looks like everyone is doing well!

I have also been looking for inspiration in the "what can i eat" department. Groupon had a cheap 6 month membership to a website called Relish that has been helping with inspiration. We also signed up for a CSA. I hope we get a spot.

Keep it up ladies!

Congrats on the 5K. That's awesome! I am not a runner at all, so I am impressed that anyone can/would want to run for any amount of time, lol. Go you!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks! I actually enjoyed it and think I could make running part of an exercise routine. I just have to be careful not to get hurt

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Happy February everyone! I hope this thread is quiet because you are all exercising and buying skinny jeans :)

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Ugh, quiet on my part because we've had a plague of sickness for the past three weeks.  The kids and I all got the flue for the first two weeks and as soon as we had recovered DH brought home a stomach virus from work.  Little Man hasn't kept anything down since Monday morning but ate something a little while ago and seems to be doing better. PLEASE GOD don't let the babe and I get it, that is NOT how I want to lose weight. I'll update my Feb stats when I get a chance to weigh myself.  I know Amanda usually start the thread, but should one of us do it? She hasn't been on recently, I'll have to check back to her last post when I get a moment.  Stay well!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Hello everyone,

Happy February and Chinese New Year! I was a pound lighter today! It's small steps, right?  Had a great workout on Monday and am eating healthier- I'm trying to focus more on choosing healthy foods I like rather than telling myself what I can't have. It's working so far. My goal for the next few days is hydration. Sending good thoughts your way-

Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Ugh, quiet on my part because we've had a plague of sickness for the past three weeks.  The kids and I all got the flue for the first two weeks and as soon as we had recovered DH brought home a stomach virus from work.  Little Man hasn't kept anything down since Monday morning but ate something a little while ago and seems to be doing better. PLEASE GOD don't let the babe and I get it, that is NOT how I want to lose weight. I'll update my Feb stats when I get a chance to weigh myself.  I know Amanda usually start the thread, but should one of us do it? She hasn't been on recently, I'll have to check back to her last post when I get a moment.  Stay well!!!

Hope you and your family feel better soon. There has been a stomach bug going around here too. So far we have managed to avoid it.

You are right, I have not seen Amanda on either. I could start it,  I would hate to screw up the thread though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymommy View Post

Hello everyone,

Happy February and Chinese New Year! I was a pound lighter today! It's small steps, right?  Had a great workout on Monday and am eating healthier- I'm trying to focus more on choosing healthy foods I like rather than telling myself what I can't have. It's working so far. My goal for the next few days is hydration. Sending good thoughts your way-

Yes, me too, drink lots of water is my new mantra.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Wow, pacificbliss, great jobs!

I pulled a rib muscle somehow and have been in constant pain. Still trying to exercise because when I stopped it seemed to get worse. I still haven't lost a pound.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Kittywitty- hope you recover quickly!

I am down to 172 this morning! I am really working on my water intake as well but my horrible diet coke addiction is really getting in the way.  I feel like I am doing a good job with my eating, but I am *not* doing a good job with exercising.  I got a belly dancing workout DVD from Netflix 3 weeks ago and still haven't done it.  The horrible weather hasn't been conducive to any outside activities.  If I could get into a fitness routine and stick with it I know I would feel so much better about myself and life in general, but I just can't get myself off my butt!!! Grr... very frustrated with myself.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM

I hear you about the horrible weather discouraging activity.  I just want to snuggle under my blankets with a book and a hot drink.  We seem to have reached the other side of sickness over here so I am hoping that tomorrow things can return to normal.  I weighed at 137 this morning, a bit higher than when I was sick and couldn't eat anything but still below my previous resting point.  Come on healthy, sunny Spring! I want to go outside again!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

AHH! YOU GUYS!

I'm here! My DH has started working from home, so my computer time is limited. I still go online on my nook color, so I have been reading, but its such a pain to type on it, that I've been laying low. That, and I feel like there is really not much to update on (more on that later!)

BUT.. great job everyone. Seriously, I am proud of all of you.

PacificBliss- Amazing job on the 5k! Inspiring! I hate running!

Chewynotcrunchy- Congrats on the weight loss! I hear ya on the diet soda obsession! Totally me too.

Feel better SpuglyRoo and Kittywitty.

Oh.. and Thanks for the great recipes SpuglyRoo!

Anyway, I know we also have had a few newcomers this month, WELCOME!

Anyway, tomorrow evening I am going to be starting the new thread. I can't believe that it has almost been a YEAR since I started the first one. CRAZY! Thank you all for sharing in this journey with me. Really really. I feel like we all share so much of the same struggles. It has been so nice to have you guys as a support system.

So.. PLEASE POST YOUR STATS (a little late) FOR THE FEBRUARY THREAD. WHICH WILL BE COMING TOMORROW NIGHT. PROMISE. :)

Aaaaanyway..

I had a follow up appointment at the endocrinologist today. Just a follow up to check on my thyroid. I weighed in at 138lbs on normal metal slidey scale thing. I was a little bummed out, because I (obviously) have been weighing myself at home, and I've been somewhere around 135lbs, but then she reminded me that when I initially went in in October for my first appointment, I was at 148lbs, and I know that I'd been weighing at home around 144. Either way, I've lost 10lbs on the same scale. 10lbs in 3.5 months isn't GREAT, but hey- I'll gladly take it. These last few pounds are a struggle. But I just keep reminding myself of that initial thread where I said I wanted to be 150lbs by my sons first birthday in March!

I also joined a Weight Loss challenge on Daily Burn hosted by one of my favorite bloggers.

(heh, just realized I'm in 11th place!) I KNOW I'm not going to win, because I only have a little bit left to lose- but I figured I need the extra motivation. As part of the challenge, we had to send in before pictures of ourselves. Who wants to see mine?? In all honesty, these before pictures are really closer to my "after pictures" since we all know what my before picture really was. But for the sake of the contest, here they are. Hopefully when the challenge is over I will have toned my arms, hips and stomach! But here I am!

twlc2.jpgtwlc3.jpg

and why not. Here is my true before picture yet again. I want to carry a copy of it around in my wallet. I can't believe this was less than 10 months ago.

before.jpg

and while I'm at it.. I can't believe this little guy will be ONE in a month. He was worth all the weight gain and stretch marks. But I'm glad some of it is gone. :)

a1.jpg

Okay ladies, your turn.. I want to see pictures!!

(I will probably post this again in the new thread tomorrow for those who havent seen it yet.)

GET YOUR STATS POSTED. I'm really sorry for slacking this month guys. I will be better in February!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Glad to see you haven't disappeared, Amanda. Here are my starting numbers for Feb: Current weight 137, lost 47 lbs so far!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Hi Amanda! You look great, and your little guy is a cutie!

I'm at 132.2!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 AM

You look amazing! And totally OT-but how did you dye your hair? Your new color is what mine was as a kid and I've been wanting to go back to it.

The only thing that's changed is .5 in my waist and my boob area is smaller. eyesroll.gif

2/4/10
Weight (Naked Before Shower) 152
Top of Breasts - 33 & 36
Under Breasts - 29
Hips - 40
Upper Thighs - 24
calves - 14
Upper Arm - 11
Neck - 12.5

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM

My starting stat for February is 184. This is sorta scary for me but I am sharing some photos. The 'Before' is 6 weeks AFTER I gave birth....250/240s area....about 4.5 months ago. The other 2 pics are from this year...the red shirt is New Years and the green shirt is about a week ago.

*pics deleted for privacy*

Mama to my tribe
Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM

You're looking good, Fruitful! Big difference in the before and after. The red shirt pic is especially cute.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

kitty my hair in my most recent pictures is actually my natural color. I dyed it dark right after DS was born because before I was pregnant with him I dyed it a platinum blonde, and it had grown out so much during my pregnancy that my roots were like half the length of my hair! haha. So yeah, I dyed it darker so it would cover the blonde and the roots, one even color. It has since returned to its natural state. :)

Fruitful, you look great!!

ANYWAY, I know I was supposed to start the new thread tonight.. but my husband and i went on a date instead. So I am posting this reply, and I will start the new thread tomorrow. Now I have to go rest my too full stomach, which thoroughly enjoyed the lobster ravioli and dark chocolate mousse cake that I consumed tonight. Must work out extra hard tomorrow to make up for it. It was worth it though.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Amanda and Fruitful, you are both looking really good! I am going to wait to post pics until it is more impressive. smile.gif

Current weight 172, total lost 33, goal 140.

User Tag List