Lots to Lose Tribe - January - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If skipping meals makes you binge.  I make bad decisions if I get too hungry.  There are times on the weekends where I get busy in the morning and don't eat breakfast.  Then, I'll go out for errands & feel famished & just want something quick. 

I think for stress binging, you have to replace the behavior with something else so that other thing becomes what you crave when you're stressed.  Like exercise or putting on a pair of headphones and shutting out the world for a little while.  

I know that part of my problem is that for  so long, I've treated myslef with food.  My mom treated me with food.  We'd go to Dairy Queen or out to eat all the time.  I still feel that I'm not satisfied if I don't go out to eat regularly.  When I'm stressed or bored, I go to the bookstore and have a drink or dessert and read a book.  I also work from home & feel antsy if I'm home for too long.  I'm having trouble finding other things that I can go do when I'm stressed or bored rather than eating. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM

I really need to stop watching the Food Network at night.  Especially Diners Drive-ins and Dives!  Makes me hungry for something really really bad! 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#63 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post

If skipping meals makes you binge.  I make bad decisions if I get too hungry.  There are times on the weekends where I get busy in the morning and don't eat breakfast.  Then, I'll go out for errands & feel famished & just want something quick. 

I think for stress binging, you have to replace the behavior with something else so that other thing becomes what you crave when you're stressed.  Like exercise or putting on a pair of headphones and shutting out the world for a little while.  

I know that part of my problem is that for  so long, I've treated myslef with food.  My mom treated me with food.  We'd go to Dairy Queen or out to eat all the time.  I still feel that I'm not satisfied if I don't go out to eat regularly.  When I'm stressed or bored, I go to the bookstore and have a drink or dessert and read a book.  I also work from home & feel antsy if I'm home for too long.  I'm having trouble finding other things that I can go do when I'm stressed or bored rather than eating. 

this is me. food was always a reward and I am having trouble breaking the cycle.

i did really well todayjoy.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#64 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Kami - I'm shocked at your dh's height and weight! DH is only 5'7" and feels disgusting at 149. He currently weighs about 180-185 and is fine with that.

Things to do other than bingeing: knit, shut off the tv and organize DVDs, CDs, laundry, dishes, anything. Wash walls, was floors, exercise. Talk to friends/relatives on the phone. Get on MDC and type type type. You can't eat while you're typing. Read a book. Keep your hands and eyes busy and away from food! And don't buy ucky foods. As long as you're eating bad foods, you'll crave bad foods. For me, it's alcohol, but I get how sugar makes you crave sugar - same thing really.

Today for me was rough, but definitely not in the way I expected. I've developed a couple of rashes, I have no appetite, and as a result, I'm pretty tired. I got in a great workout this morning, but tonight I had a scare and called the doc because my tongue went numb at the tip. My pinkie, ring finger, and palm on my left hand have been tingling for a week now and I have a small bulge in my neck that is painful, but not to touch so much. I figure it's a combination of exercise, change in diet, maybe a little alcohol withdrawal (though I don't crave it), and medication. Or maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac. Either way, there's too many factors to consider and I'm feeling better after some tylenol. No more tongue tingling.

Only 700 or so calories eaten today (banana, coffee, venison, broccoli+cheese, a couple of baby carrots and cucumbers, and a small plate of whole grain thin spaghetti with sauce and parmesan cheese). I burned about that at the gym. What the heck is wrong with me? I have absolutely no desire to eat and actually made myself eat the spaghetti.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#65 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Add me in:

Something like...

Name:  Kathy
Started: Jan, 2010
Goal: I currently weigh 235.  I would like to be under 200 - that is my first goal.  In a dream world 160-175 sounds good 
Motivation:  Longevity
Plan:  count calories (I am aiming for 1800 per day) and exercise.  To be more specific, I could stand to increase fruit/veg, water, and decrease sugars and coffee. 
Progress: Well - none yet, lol.  I fear getting on a scale actually.  I am feeling good though - I stuck to my eating plan and walked to the store twice this week (I usually drive)

#66 of 234 Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kathy! :wave

Motivated:   I've had hand tingling before.  Especially back when had a nursing baby.  I think mine was from keeping my hand in uncomfortable positions too much.  I've had tongue tip numbness when eating too much salt.  I thought it was from fluid retention.

I went out with a friend tonight.  I didn't eat much for lunch since I was going out.  I didn't do too bad.  I had a blt & a side of grilled veggies instead of fries.  The veggies were so good & I only ate half my sandwich.  but, then came home and had some Trader Joe's assorted chocolates.  They are dangerously good. 

I have a funeral to go to tomorrow.  A great-aunt that I didn't really know.  I probably won't check in until Sunday.  Have a great weekend!!!

#67 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 AM

My husband is going to be working twelve hour shifts at night/morning. I worked my child care out. YAY!! I asked a friend to help me out and she was more than happy to help. My kids are older and easier to manage, thank goodness. Also, my neighbor/friend is going to help me out, too. I won't have to worry about eating poorly when I go out because I just dropped $500 on books. OUCH!! It's going to be peanut butter sandwiches and baby carrots for two months to regroup after that expense. Happy weekend, ladies!!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#68 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 AM

I'm going to be working all weekend, so I hope to check in, but might not. 10-10 today and tomorrow. I made 2L of cucumber/celery/apple/spinach juice for work today and I'm eating a homemade egg/cheese/bacon on an english muffin, coffee and water with lemon/MSM/agave nectar for breakfast. I'm going to bring some of the rest of my baked bean quintet for dinner tonight. Hopefully I won't have any cravings to eat junk at work. Thank goodness the holidays are over and they won't have a smorgasboard of bad foods wink1.gif

I won't be able to work out today, but I hope to go tomorrow 7-8:30 while DH is home in the morning. Can't weight (pun intended) for Monday's weigh-in orngbiggrin.gif

#69 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM

I feel awesome over here! had a big breakfast yesterday so just had dinner. Then a small portion of coconut ice cream that DD kept begging me for and ate a large portion of...

we got a surprise $100 for x-mas that came late!!! AND TG we did b/c DD has gro-baby dipes that are just rough now and it's making her so raw. I needed some money to get her something new, soft, and stay dry! we went to a local store that sells dipes, ergos, ect and bought her 2 packs of flip stay dry dipes which = 12 dipes! so far so good! Flip came out after we got the gro baby dipes eyesroll.gif well w/e all that matters is that she is ok and we don't have to buy disposables we can't afford b/c her bum hurts.

I feel thinner so I think I will have lost maybe a pound or two on mon!

what do you all think about eggs? I eat a lot of eggs. DD and I LOVE them. I had 3 eggs yesterday with some whole wheat toast and earths balance soy free spread.

for dinner we had hot dogs and fries and mixed veggies....BUT my hot dogs were chicken dogs 98% fat free and both I bought were uncured and nitrate free and all natural, no hormones or antibiotics. I baked the fries.

I am getting annoyed with spark people b/c everything I eat doesn't seem to be on the list and I have to go and manually enter all the nutrients and add it as a new food. it's so annoying!

hope everyone has a great day today!!

ButtonGirl likes this.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#70 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 AM

I think eggs are a great (and cheap) source of protein.  As long as you don't add a bunch of fat to them while cooking.  Boiled or poached = good.  Fried in bacon grease - not so good. 

I like hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper, soft boiled eggs on whole wheat toast, and cheese and veggie omelets fried using non-stick spray.  Yum! 

I am still working on ways to manage my snacking.  At this point I think eliminating it entirely is unrealistic, and is just going to set me up to fail.  So I am allowing myself to snack in the evening, but only in carefully measured portions.  Last night I made a plate of a few thin slices of cheese, a thinly sliced apple, a couple of sliced pickles, and a carefully measured serving of cheese crackers.  Having everything all pre-cut into bite sized portions let me nibble as DH and I were playing XBox just as I used to do with the unhealthy stuff.  Way better than sitting down with a large bag of chips and just going to town. 

So what are you all snacking on?

#71 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sparkpeople is annoying me too. I have to manually add almost anything.  This morning I ate some greek yogurt and had to enter the data. 

Snacks-well, I have been snacking on fruit, mostly bananas. I plan a snack into my day in the afternoon, because around 3-5pm is when I feel like losing control but the past couple of days I have been too busy to stop and make a snack.  Yesterday I paid the price at dinner.  Dinner was late and I was so hungry I was shaking and felt like I was going to puke.  It had been 7 hours since I had eaten lunch and that was too long for me.  My schedule is about to go insane once I start school again on Monday. I'm hoping I can keep my eating habits under control while I'm on the go.  It's been easy while I've been home. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#72 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Doing well here too. Feeling really good. I always feel this way a few days after I clean up my eating. What I notice most is that if I eat regular meals (I often skip inadvertently because I am rushing around), I have SO much more energy and I don't feel overwhelmed with cravings. It's so stupid and common sense, and I used to eat regularly when I worked. Staying home and nursing for years really threw me off my normal patterns of hunger and eating at regular intervals. Not making excuses, just observing. I hope I can stick to taking care of myself and my needs around food. It often means that others have to wait, or that I end up spending alot of time in the kitchen. But that's how it has to be I guess.

I am allowing myself some chocolate or homemade cookies everyday. But I feel very much in control as opposed to that stuff calling me from the pantry! I am also eating a fair amount of fat - full fat yogurt, almond milk, real mayo - because I feel very satiated, and that seems to help with cravings too. The full fat yogurt is amazing and a little (1/2 cup) goes a long way. I cut prunes and almonds into it, and it's really just as good as ice cream in the evening! I am eating almonds and almond milk (lower carb), an egg a day (egg salad w/1 tsp mayo), and cut veggies whenever I can. I am laying off fruit, except I found some blueberries on sale and even though one of my 4 y/olds loves them, I am keeping them all for myself. Just now I had hummos on celery for lunch, and Greek yogurt with shredded apple, a sprinkle of oats and walnuts, and honey.

I am aiming for 4 workouts a week (45-60 minutes) right now. In a week or two I will increase, but I want to avoid injuring myself or making any of my old aches and pains come back.

In a while we are all going down for a family nap. Busy morning of sports for my kids, and DH and I are just plain tired!

TTYL, thanks for all your tips and support.

#73 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post

I am still working on ways to manage my snacking.  At this point I think eliminating it entirely is unrealistic, and is just going to set me up to fail.  So I am allowing myself to snack in the evening, but only in carefully measured portions.  Last night I made a plate of a few thin slices of cheese, a thinly sliced apple, a couple of sliced pickles, and a carefully measured serving of cheese crackers.  Having everything all pre-cut into bite sized portions let me nibble as DH and I were playing XBox just as I used to do with the unhealthy stuff.  Way better than sitting down with a large bag of chips and just going to town. 

So what are you all snacking on?

I build a snack in every evening.  I snack on whatever the heck I want (chocolate, ice cream, chips) but I portion control and eat reasonably healthy the rest of the day.

Current plan:

9:00  breakfast  400 calories

1:00 lunch         400

6:00 supper       700

evening snack   300

I am finding the period between lunch and supper long- I think I need to build in a snack there. I think I can shave some calories off supper.

For healthy snacks, I do :

wedges of cheese

yoghurt  (sometimes with granalo)

peanut butter with bread

nuts 

fruit

veggies and dip  (hummus)

#74 of 234 Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM

This week was frustrating here. Work has decided they want me working extra long hours for the next couple months. I'm a single mom. They might as well ask me for the moon. I did manage to work just over 54 hours this week, including leaving at 3:00 one day to take DD to the dentist, but it's seriously cutting into my time to exercise. And my mental health time! I'm fortunate that her dad is in the picture but still, I can only pass her off so much before the guilt kills me. :-(  However, I did manage to squeeze in a couple of lunchtime walks and a couple of 10pm sessions with the 30-Day Shred tape. And even with a dinner of a cheeseburger, fries, and a shake tonight, I'm still within my weekly points allowance on WW. I barely have time to think, let alone eat. :/

I'm trying to remind myself that this schedule is (hopefully) temporary and I'll have more energy if I make healthy food choices. It's not really that much harder to pack a salad, right? And I'm making sure to pack something to starve off the munchies around 4:30 pm when I know I have hours and hours more to go at my desk. Apple & cheese has been my late afternoon snack of choice recently, yum!

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#75 of 234 Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 AM

eurobin hug2.gif that must be so difficult for you.

DH bought M&Ms cookie ice cream sandwiches! JERK. A stinking 6 pack too. I ate 2 yesterday and feel gross uhoh3.gif

hoping for a better day today...

#76 of 234 Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobin View Post

I'm trying to remind myself that this schedule is (hopefully) temporary and I'll have more energy if I make healthy food choices. It's not really that much harder to pack a salad, right? And I'm making sure to pack something to starve off the munchies around 4:30 pm when I know I have hours and hours more to go at my desk. Apple & cheese has been my late afternoon snack of choice recently, yum!

I buy premade salads from the deli for work.  I find there is a great variety, and they are often huge!  I can cut a 4$ salad into 2 decent size servings.  Yuumy, healthy and cheap...cannot get much better. 

Honestly, I think lack of preplanning, especially when I am busy, is part of the reason I am the size I am.  I don't eat, then when I get home I eat half the fridge because I am so hungry.

#77 of 234 Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Kami - I like eggs.  I used to hate them until I started buying them from a farm.  Makes such a difference.  I also find sparkpeople annoying.  I like using the daily plate on the livestrong website.  I don't think I've ever found that something wasn't there.  I eat a lot of food from Trader Joes & I can find it all.

I made some good choices and some bad ones this weekend, but at least I'm thinking instead of mindlessly eating.  I'm getting a good workout cleaning my bed room today.  I'm doing a very thorough job.  I even rotated my mattress.

#78 of 234 Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I don't actually have a scale right now, but hopefully will get one before next Monday. :)

Also hoping to get back on track tomorrow, now that we're all better from being so sick! 

Best of wishes to everyone on Monday...

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#79 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 AM

Kami - I like eggs for breakfast, just over easy on toast or a cheese omelet or as part of a homemade sandwich. The app I have for tracking calories on my iphone is also time-consuming because a lot of the foods I eat are also not on there, especially since most is homemade and you have to figure out the calories of every single thing and then divide it by portions. And figure how much each portion is eyesroll.gif

Re: snacking. I snack on fruits (oranges, bananas, and apples mostly) and popcorn smile.gif I also tend not to eat my whole meal at meal time and snack on that until my next meal.

After losing my appetite on Friday, I worked all weekend, from 10-10 both days at the animal emergency clinic. We were slammed yesterday, so I only had a couple bites of my baked bean quintet in between emergencies (more like, during). I don't know what was in the water yesterday, but it resulting in a lot of dogs running into PVC pipes or sticks, or blowing their spay stitches, etc. I had a small breakfast yesterday - half a piece of toast with peanut butter and egg yolk. I made 2 pieces of toast and 2 eggs, but just wasn't hungry. When I came home, I had some whole grain pasta with parmesan cheese and sauce and a Captain and Coke. I still didn't meet my calories for the day. I also went to the gym and burned 500 calories before work. Saturday, I took off from the gym.

Because of my obsessive exercising this past week and my inability to meet my daily caloric needs, I dropped 10 pounds. tomato.gif I realize how unhealthy this is and most of it is due to the last 3 days of craziness and inappetite combine with the obsessive exercising. I will continue the exercising because it feels good and try to meet my calories this week.

10/90 Weight: 210

#80 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM

My first 5 dropped off easily enough - i avoid 'white foods' - no sugar (of any kind..not honey, not maple syrup, not agave, not Splenda - nothing)  and no flour - or starch, modified food starch, potato, corn starch, rice - none of that.  I concentrate on lean meats and veggies - i snack on cashews or almonds.  Like i said the first 5 is easy for me ...next Friday i have to bake cookies for a party im going to, i may diet all week and loose my mind in Friday and undo my hard work.  Those are the days i need help getting through!!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#81 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I have not lost or gained a pound, but then again I only started late last week.  I am Ok with it though - I feel lighter.  I do hope I loose weight by next weigh in, or I will have to tweek my plan, and I like my plan!  

congrats to the the losers (now there is a sentence, lol!)

I swam yesterday, which was fun.  They are calling for a cold snap - which is not good.  I am very much an outdoor exercising kind of gal.  I can adjust, though, and will get off this computer and roughly schedule in some indoor exercise time.

#82 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM

183.1 today! 5lbs gone. I don't think that is all that healthy, but I really haven't been "crash" dieting. my calories are 1800 and fat 70 per day. DD has been nursing a lot though and I think that has been helping. Also cutting out dairy always helps me drop right in the beginning.

last time I cut out dairy I lost 75lbs in about 8 months.

I haven't brought myself to workout yet. I did go "sledding" with DD out front though lol if that counts.

congrats everyone on the losses and maintaining! blowkiss.gif We can do this!

are we going to do like a stats thing?

#83 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM

According to the Wii last night I am down 2.6kg, or about 5.75 pounds.  My Wii measures in metric and I can't figure out how to change it.  But in some ways it is kind of nice - if I actually weighed in pounds what I weigh in kilos I would be doing all right!

In the last week I worked out with Wii Fit four times.  I hope to start going to aquasize at least once a week, but probably won't be able to start that until next week.  It is frigid here right now (-27C with windchill) so there haven't been any jaunts to the dog park!!

For diet, I am not counting calories but I am being very calorie mindful.  So if I decide I want to have a snack of crackers and peanut butter I don't just sit down with the box and a jar, I carefully count out a serving of crackers, and measure out a TBSP of PB.  When I get closer to goal I may start tracking more, but for now it just seems like too much work.  I am also meal planning which helps a great deal.

I am really psyched about my success so far and it is very motivating.  But I also know that this rate of loss is not sustainable.  It is easier to lose pounds when you weigh more.  Easier to spill from a full cup, as my friend always says.  But instead of saying I need to lose 100 pounds, I just keep telling myself I need to lose 5 pounds, 20 times.  That makes it more manageable for some reason.

#84 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM

awesome job! you are so right to think of it as 5lbs at a time that's a good tool!

#85 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

congrats to the the losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post

if I actually weighed in pounds what I weigh in kilos I would be doing all right!

<</p>

biglaugh.gif 

#86 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

According to the Wii I've lost 2lbs this week, for a total of 3 since I started on 1/2/11.  I'm a bit disappointed, I thought it would be more.  I know slow and steady is best so I will keep pressing onward!

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#87 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Yes, congrats to the losers and congrats to everyone for mindfulness, measuring, planning, and checking in!

I am 235 down from 242 so 7 pounds in about 10 days. I too have been going lower carb, and less sugar. I have been having chocolate daily though. And I did make peanut butter cookies for my kids one day, but without butter, and I enjoyed those as well. I found a great recipe for chocolate chip cookies with oats, peanut butter, and hardly any butter. I am going to try those this week.

I am not counting right now either. I am just focusing on eating 3 healthy meals a day, having a small snack only when I am getting hungry, cooking, and not grazing all evening after dinner. As my numbers slow, I will start to count, or cut portions, or reduce sweets further. The one thing that I will not do is completely deprive myself of any food that I really like to eat.

I worked out 4 times and that felt good. I desperately need to strength train, and I really could just even start with modified push-ups, squats, lunges, crunches, and some yoga moves at home in the evenings while watching TV. Or even for 5 minutes at a time in between activities.

I feel a strength training challenge coming on...any suggestions?

Nancy
#88 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM

OK - oatmeal for breakfast, banana for a snack, black beans for lunch, and mix of cabbage, potato, carrot & turkey kielbasa for dinner - we're back on track!

Also, braved the cold, bundled up the daughter, and walked for an hour outside today. Tomorrow - mall walking (yay - warmth! - now i just have to not buy anything!)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#89 of 234 Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Hey Losers!   (snicker)  Congratulations on the weight loss this week!  I pretty much maintained this week.  The scale showed a .2 gain, but at my weight that could just be a blip in the scale, so I'm not gonna worry about it.  I had a great start to the week, but then things got stressful and emotional, and I not only went off my diet, but went off big time with a couple trips to fast food places that I know I should avoid.  I've got a birthday tomorrow (My youngest is turning 4, sniff, sniff, my baby's growing up), so I'm not sure how well I'll do staying low carb, but I'm going to at least try to keep my calories in check.

You all are doing so great!  I better get a move on or you'll all leave me in the dust.  Have a great week, everyone!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#90 of 234 Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 AM

grouphug.gif Dash I think we may all be emotional eaters here, try and stay strong mama, we are here to support you. vent away if you ever need to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page