Lots to Lose Tribe - January - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 234 Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome Triana! It's really brave of you to be so honest and to join us. Really happy to have you.

I have been doing really well with working out and eating well but the scale has stayed the same this week. i keep reminding myself that my body is changing in other ways. Keeps me motivated. And, I feel good.

Eating really low carbs helps me with the sugar cravings SO SO SO much. I get to a place where I have so much less desire for food and I can change my relationship with food and hunger. It's so nice. Then if I eat even a little sugar, I am back to cravings and challenges right away. Crazy how addictive sugar is.

#212 of 234 Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I eat popcorn most every night, and if I still have calories available, maybe a light beer too smile.gif

This afternoon is proving challenging for me. I went to the gym, but felt kind of icky mentally and my shins really hurt, so I only put in 1.1 miles of jog/walk over 15 minutes. I'm hoping to hop on my bike after the kids go to bed, but I dunno... And then I was pretty hungry, so I held back and ate half a bagel with half a serving of cream cheese (170 calories) and after that didn't satisfy me, I measured out 2 servings of Captain Crunch and milk lol.gif Let's hope the rest of the evening goes smoother. I'm fighting some pretty strong cravings at the moment. Maybe a liter of water will help hold me off?

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#213 of 234 Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM

This has been a rough week health wise.  Sunday night / Monday morning I felt like I had a kidney infection and was in a LOT of pain.  I went into the clinic and the doctor thought it was more likely kidney stones, but said that if I felt like it was infection she would give me antibiotics, under the agreement that if the pain got worse, or didn't start getting better within 24 hours to head to the hospital.  Fortunately the antibiotics seemed to do the trick and I started feeling much better Monday night. 

I felt better for a couple of days, and then today I woke up with a wicked cold.  I can't win for trying!  At least it took away all of my craving as I have to practically force myself to eat!

I too have to watch out for trigger foods.  For me it isn't so much sugar as it is potato chips.  If I start into chips I find it very hard to stop, and then I want to eat everything in sight!  So I just stay away entirely.

My go-to snack of the moment is 100 calories packs of microwave Smart Pop.  I luuurve popcorn.  I was eating a huge bowl of stove popped popcorn popped in oil with lots of butter.  Smart Pop is much better for me!

I am curious how everyone's partners/families are supporting you?  My DH has been getting a huge failing grade lately!  He still likes to eat a lot of junk and since I am not buying it anymore he goes out and buys it himself.  The other day I sent him to the store for dog food and he came home with a box of ice cream cones (330 calories each!) and a HUGE bag of chips.  Like 3x a regular large bag.  Today he made bacon sandwiches for lunch.  I know he has to make his own choices to get healthier but I was really hoping it would come along for the ride a bit more.  He eats what I make for dinner, but when left to his own devices he goes straight for the bad stuff.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#214 of 234 Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM

I can't write much right now...but the best DP trick I have is to remind them of finances.

DH is not overly swayed by calories, but he is by $$$.  If I remind him that junk food costs money, he is less inclined to buy it.  He is a bit of a cheapie.  I can use it to my advantage, though! Lol.  Chips are 2 dollars a bag - popcorn is probably under 0.25 a bowl with the air popper.   

#215 of 234 Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Claybear - im with you...sugar IS addictive - i (try) not to eat any of it...including honey, fructose, agave, etc...etc... one little taste of something sweet and im on auto pilot...They have Tim Hortons in the states ....Buffalo at least - but not down here in LI......

if i ever thought i could get away with it...Triana, i would have no problem scarfing down 6 at a time!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#216 of 234 Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

my DH is pretty supportive.  he has agreed to stop buying junk food, or if he really must have some, then to buy things that i don't like and won't be tempted by (like ketchup chips, eww!). he also wants to start working out again, but that hasn't started yet.. he's been feeling pretty sick lately.  but he's been very encouraging of my workout efforts.  he downloads music onto my mp3 player for me, luxlove.gif.

both sugar and chips are my 2 biggest weaknesses.  i find it extremely hard to even have just one portion, i just can't stop myself once i get started.  so, for now, i'm completely avoiding junk.  once i get my weight under control, i would like to find a way to have an occasional treat without it getting out of hand.  this has been a life long problem.. i used to eat soooo much junk as a kid (but was so skinny too, darn it!).

happy saturday, everyone!  i'm going for a 4K walk today, that's going to be my major exercise... kids want to go to the bookstore, so DH is going to drive them, and i'm going to walk!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#217 of 234 Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Ok so I got a hypnosis cd to lose weight by stopping the cravings...a few years ago (I bought the one to stop smoking and they sent me the wrong one first) So the smoking one worked really well for me so I have been totally avoiding doing this one b/c I love food and it will be hard to not. So I will listen to it Monday night. It has been written lol now I have to do it.

DH doesn't even eat junk at home so I don't have that problem. My issues are when I am at the store and the chocolate is calling me lol Then if I do get something he is negative about it.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#218 of 234 Old 01-29-2011, 01:18 PM

My weakness is bread.  Any kind.  Warmed with butter...lol  Oh man.  Now I want some!

#219 of 234 Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I had a bad, bad week.  I felt ravaging hunger this week.  I don't know why.  Maybe the stress.  My daughter was sick, then I was, then my husband was.  I think it's more stressful when he's sick.  Then, his uncle died on Thursday and we got the call late at night.  It was a bad week for sleep. 

We went to our cabin overnight and I just got home an  hour or so ago.  It's 100 miles south of where we live, but sometimes the temperature difference is surprising.  It had to be at least 65 for part of the day down there.  And sunny.  We stayed outside until it got cloudy and chilly.  It was just what I needed. 

My dh is very supportive when it comes to helping me be more active.  He's mostly supportive foodwise, but he really believes that exercise is much more important.  He has trouble with sugar binges.  I can usually stop at a pretty small amount, but he'll eat and eat until he's lightheaded or the food is gone. 

I also have a hypnosis for weight loss cd.  I don't like it.  The lady has an east coast accent that really grinds on me.  It's like a hypnosis session with The Nanny.

I'm glad we don't have Tim Hortons here.  I love those little tarts.  At least that's what I remember the one in Windsor having.  My step dad is from Toronto, so we'd go to Canada often.  Tim Hortons reminds me of entering Canada. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#220 of 234 Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM

It's been a challenging week for me also! Last night I wanted to break down and eat ice cream but I did a work out instead and had an apple and I was ok. Crisis averted. :)

I got on the scale today, even though I really will do the weigh-in tomorrow, and was a little bummed to see I had lost no weight at all. I feel like my body is shifting, though, and my planst feel more lose, so perhaps the number on the scale should not be my primary focus. Hard to remember that! When I am working so hard, I really want to see the numbers!!

#221 of 234 Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybear View Post

It's been a challenging week for me also! Last night I wanted to break down and eat ice cream but I did a work out instead and had an apple and I was ok. Crisis averted. :)

I got on the scale today, even though I really will do the weigh-in tomorrow, and was a little bummed to see I had lost no weight at all. I feel like my body is shifting, though, and my planst feel more lose, so perhaps the number on the scale should not be my primary focus. Hard to remember that! When I am working so hard, I really want to see the numbers!!

I hear you on the numbers!  I also hear you on things shifting....my shoes fit a little better earlier, and I feel less blobby.

I have done reasonably well this week, although I was ravenous yesterday for no apparent reason. I wonder if it is the norm to have a ravenous day once in awhile? I will admit I gave in, but most of what I gave into was healthy-ish.  

Hugs to those of you who have had a hard week!  Hard times exist - I guess the key is to to figure out how to deal with them without turning to food.

#222 of 234 Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM

I am still sick.  I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.  I've been avoiding it because I don't have any insurance but the glands and/or lymph nodes in my neck are swollen pretty bad, and the lymph nodes in my underarms are as well.  I had a strep test done at the county health center and it was negative.  So, I haven't done any exercise in over a week.  I'm hoping for another maintenance week and not a gain. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#223 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

good morning, everyone!!   i weighed in today, and i'm at -4 for the week... woohoo! 

that's down 9 lbs in two weeks, and i'm definitely thrilled... i've been working so hard and eating great.. i'm just a bit worried that it's a bit too fast?  i want this weight loss to be *permanent*.   

i wonder if it's just because i've cut out all junk (and boy, did i ever eat alot of it!), and my body is still adjusting to that?  i mean,  even if i didn't do a minute of exercise, i must be losing weight just from not eating all that crap.  so when i add in my exercise, i'm getting good results.  ?!?  i do not count calories, but i think i might do it for the next week, just to make sure that i'm getting enough.  i want to make sure that this is sustainable. 

i've decided to make 15 lbs lost my mini-goal... that's only 6 lbs away, and seems doable.  then i'll go for 30, 40, 50, etc.  until i get down to a good weight for my body.  50+ lbs seems sooo hard, so i'm hoping to keep myself motivated by doing smaller goals.  and i plan to reward myself every time i reach one! (with non-food items, lol).

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#224 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 AM

joy.gif 3 more pounds joy.gif

That's 15 pounds in 5 weeks. I set out to lose 3 pounds a week and I'm doing it! Today I did week 5; day 2 Couch to 5K and 45 min (16.25 miles) of hills on the stationary bike.

My husband is extremely supportive. His weight never fluctuates and he eats whatever I put in front of him. I do the shopping, so no big deal there. He does drink Pepsi, but I don't like soda, so it works.

My cravings are beer or a mixed drink and popcorn in the evening. And pizza. And wings. LOL. I am such a perfect football fan at heart. smile.gif

Start Date: Jan 2nd
Start Weight: 220
Today's Date: Jan 31st
Today's Weight: 205
I'm 1/6 on the way to my goal weight of 130 pounds.

#225 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 AM

I am not sure what to think.  I weighed myself 2 days ago and was down 2 pounds, but today it looks like I am up 2 pounds and thus maintained?  My scale is completely old and wonky and it isn't helping

It is a little depressing.  

I am going to commit this week to exercising for 1/2 an hour every day.  I can do it!

Kathy

#226 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Welcome, Triana!! I definately had the thought this week, "How did I let myself get this big?" moment. Everything aches in my body. I feel terrible and uncomfortable. I literally gained 50lbs in five months. I am ashamed to admit it, but I was going to McDonald's (eeeww, right?!) at like 4:00 in the morning and getting a double cheeseburger meal with a coke...like 5 days a week. Also, I would binge on anything that was in the house at night...carrots and peanut butter were my weakness, with the emphasis on the peanut butter. I would eat a pound of mixed nuts in two days. You get the idea. Part of the reason why I was eating so much was a couple of meds my shrink put me on, she warned me, but my self control was not there. I didn't work out last week like I said I was going to because I was still hallucinating even with the new meds. I had problems with hallucinations on Saturday all day (interesting time at my kids' play, Alice in Wonderland! HA!) and night. On Sunday nothing and so far today nothing. I am so out of shape I am going to stick with water aerobics and yoga for right now - low impact exercise. I went to the gym two weeks ago and "started" the couch to 5K and my shins and knees were hating me. I think it's too much weight for them to bear. Good news : I am down 2lbs this month which is good for me right now because I have been so out of wack this month. So I guess I'm starting fresh.

Current weight: 232

Goal weight: 135

Height: 5'3" Petite build

I am also going to work on the real food cooking. I definately have slacked in that department since September when I started school. I have no excuse now since I am not working or going to school this semester. Best wishes, mamas!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#227 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back on track.  I had a pretty good day yesterday.  I got some groceries.  It looks like we're supposed to be getting a pretty bad winter storm.  The school district has already used it's two built in snow days.  Now, they'll have to make them up. 

I'm up two pounds for the week.  Not too bad.  I think it's mostly water weight since my fingers and feet are a little swollen. 

#228 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM

My scale battery ran out! arg no weigh in today.

DD is going through some major separation anxiety and nursing like a newborn and I have AF so I have been STARVING. Completely ravenous, like I can't even get full over here. On top of that all the stress from the constant whining and crying and I need to be on top of you every second even when you are on the potty mama! OMG I could scream.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#229 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 AM

My weigh in:

Starting Weight: 286
Last Monday:172.6
Today:170.8

down 1.8 lbs for the week
down 115.2 lbs total smile.gif
#230 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

eclipse - total inspiration. bow2.gif

I just ate chicken nuggets, homemade fries, and a light beer for lunch. I had a rough morning since my 2 children's preschool teacher called R a "liability" and said she couldn't play there, which she has done since the beginning of the school year. I'm really contemplating finishing out the year and then homeschooling. My total calories are 1071 and I still have 716 remaining for the day thanks to exercise this morning, so hopefully I don't blow the whole day!

#231 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

I am down a little over a pound for the week, for a total loss of 11.5lbs in 4 weeks.  Most of that was at the beginning, but as I was out of town for a week, and then had both a kidney infection and a cold this last week, I am pretty pleased so far.  I am having to roll up the pants of my jeans because they are sitting further down on my hips.

Shelley - I think it is pretty normal to have a bigger loss the first couple of weeks.  You are right - it is probably because you have cut out all of the junk and that makes a huge difference.  Could be some water weight too.  As long as you aren`t starving yourself and keep doing what you are doing, it should be permanent loss.  Food tracking for a week could be a good idea just to be sure where you are at. 

abby - you are so strong!  Focus on taking care of your health, and the weight will come off. 

eclipse - you *are* such an inspiration!  How long did it take you to lose all of that.  It is so nice to have people further along on the journey so that those of us just starting out know that it really is possible. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#232 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM

Starting weight - 280

todays weight - 270

total weight loss for January - 10 lbs!

now i just have to keep this up for another dozen or so months.....duh.gif

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#233 of 234 Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM

SW: 223

CW: 188

GW: 123 

I've got a food allergy test done today (ELISA) results in 2 weeks! 

#234 of 234 Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

New thread.  January's thread was great.  Let's keep it up!!

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295361/lots-to-lose-feb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page