Lots to Lose Tribe - January - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 234 Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not good at catchy titles.  "Losing our fanny in Janny"??? 

I thought I'd start a fresh thread for a fresh year.  I feel very optimistic about 2011.  It's the first time I feel that way about a New Year since my mom died.  I vowed when she died that I would finally lose the weight.  That was 2 1/2 years ago and I've gained 8 lbs.  Now, I'm ready to do it. 

I'm still working on a plan.  My first resolution is to quit french fries, unless I bake them at home.  I will eat more produce this year.  I will try new recipes.  I will find that I love exercise (as soon as my back heals). 

Lots to lose group:  those needing to lose 50lbs or more.   We're supporting each other for the long haul.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#2 of 234 Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Hey! I just found this thread and it seems like a good time to join. Happy New Year!

I've been doing WW since the beginning of October and I'm down around 25 lbs. I have just about exactly 100 lbs to get where I *should* be. So far I've gone from a size 22 to a size 18. I've also been walking for about 35 minutes a day, 4 times a week (on my lunch breaks at work).

I'm really, really pleased with the new WW plan that rolled out after Thanksgiving. I love the "free fruit" and it seems to really agree with me. What I'd really like to focus on this year is fitness. I've pledged to do C25K so many times and I can get through the first 3 weeks or so just fine... but then life gets in the way. I'm a single mom who works outside the home full-time so I have a limited amount of time to exercise (which is why I've been walking on my lunch hour). I know if I run at lunchtime, I'll end up a beet-red, sweaty mess at work, and there is only so much free time in the evenings. So I'm hoping to start C25K again -- but approach it with less of a perfectionist attitute. If I only get in one or two runs a week (plus my walks), I'll still be running 5k by summer. I can't allow missing a couple workouts derail the whole thing.

I'm looking forward to losing with you guys! :)

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#3 of 234 Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm in. I'm a full-time SAHM (mon-fri) and a part-time WOHM (24hrs sat-sun). I've got 70 pounds to be at an "ideal" weight based on BMI, but would like to lose 90-100. To get here, I just need to do what I love doing - running and eating a mostly raw vegan diet!

I gained all of my weight with 3 pregnancies and postpartum depression (antidepressants) over the last 5 years. I'd like to see a huge chunk (pun intended) gone this year. My plan is to not be sedentary and enjoy my life!

I believe in all of us! I know we can do it! Keep checking in mamas; we all know we need the support smile.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#4 of 234 Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I've been curious about the new weight watchers plan.  I was thinking about joining online and trying it out.  Free fruit is a good incentive. 

I have 90 - 100 lbs to lose.  I'm also putting a bigger emphasis on exercise this year.  I work from home.  My schedule is definitely flexible enough to get more exercise in.  I just make excuses to not do it.   2010 was the most sedentary year I've ever had.  The year before, my youngest daughter still fit in the baby backpack and my middle daughter could fit in the bike trailer.  So, we got more exercise as a family hiking and biking.  Cleaning is my biggest exercise.  I clean a lot, but it's still pretty pathetic.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#5 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM

I would love to join in on this thread! I've been fighting with my weight for what seems like most of my entire life...it just gets me down every day. I've been able to lose quite a bit more than once, but it always comes right back. 

Right now I am on mat leave with my 4 month old. Basically from the week she was born I started walking every day for about an hour (I was so sick during my pregnancy that I hardly did anything). I kept that up until basically December, when it got awfully cold here in Canada! It doesn't seem that bad out really though these days so I want to pick up on it again.

I would also like to start swimming and/or doing exercise dvds in the evenings after the baby goes to bed. I have to finish up some transcription work I'm doing in the next week or so and then will have the time to get into it.

My main issue is food, really...I pretty much turn to it whenever anything goes wrong. My goal for this year is to cut out preservatives as much as possible and make natural, home cooked food for myself and my family. I already do pretty well with not keeping junk food in the house...just need to have a little more willpower, I guess. neway, babe is waking up now, so gotta run...but look forward to coming back!

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#6 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Me too! Great thread. I have 90-100 to lose too and I gained it all in the past 10 years but mostly 30-35 pounds before and after each of my 2 pregnancies. I too gained after losing my mother almost 3 years ago. My girls are 7, 4, and 4 (twins). I have not been motivated to exercise lately, but I have been in the past. I can get to a gym with daycare often, but honestly I find that working out has never seemed to help me lose. I just can't build up the frequency and intensity enough to make a difference. Right now I could easily do 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by a moderate 30 minute walk. I guess because I have been exercising most of my adult life in some way, I really have to haul a$$ to get winded.

But I don't feel very healthy. I am fine to take care of my kids and take them out to play, but I find that I get so tired. I also have elevated cholesterol and liver enzymes (they have been like that since my twin pregnancy) and these things scare me. I have a wonderful supportive doctor, and for her, and my kids, and for my future, I do need to lose weight.

My problem is food, and for the past few years I have blamed it on the chaos in my house around mealtimes. While this is true to a point, I eat junk nearly every afternoon and evening. Often after skipping meals (not on purpose). But my kids are at an age now where they can sit and feed themselves and I can now make just one meal for all of us. I have been cooking more often this past fall. I do find that I spend hours and hours in the kitchen though and I hate it. I'm sure that those of you who are working are thinking that sounds great, but being home with the kids I do every single ever-loving meal (husband gone 12 hours a day) and I often feel like I barely get one meal finished and it's time to make more food! 

It's just a ton of effort, especially to eat healthfully and chop, cook, and actually prepare foods. But I have been making an effort and I do feel about 100x better even after just a few days of lowering carbs, increasing protein, cutting out sweets, and watching portions. Anyway I have been looking for someplace to go for support (and not the "Oh I'm so fat I need to lose 8 pounds kind of support) so I hope we can help each other with that.

Nancy

ButtonGirl likes this.
#7 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks for starting this new thread, Wendyland.  Lose your fanny in Janny, cracked me up!  Hopefully we can keep this new thread busy enough that the old one won't get resurrected.

Day three of the new year and I'm still on track!  I'm doing South Beach Diet again, and starting at the beginning, so I'm In phase one right now which means very little carbs.  The first couple of days are hard for me, but then it gets easier.  I wasn't craving carbs much at all today, so I hope that I am over the hump.

Today I weighed 285.  I've got 135 pounds or so to go, and hope to make this year the year I get thinner and healthier!

Welcome to all you new folks!  Jump right on board.  Don't put off starting your weight loss journey until tomorrow, or when the time is "right," or next Monday, or when you finish that other project that you've been putting off, or when the moon is full, etc.  Take that first step now!  Log what you've eaten today on The Daily Plate, Spark People, WW or wherever works for you.  Get up and get some exercise.  Eat a big salad full of healthy veggies.  Drink some water.  Take a vitamin.  Or do something else that gets you on your way, and know that we'll be there plugging along with you!

We can do this!!!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#8 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Oh I'm glad i read the title of this thread twice!  - I assumed it was going to be many size 8 women lamenting about how they are no longer size 2.  I weigh 280 today.  I have been overweight my entire life but i used to smoke - which helped keep the weight down to a dull roar.  When i quit 8 years ago i started to really put on the pounds.  Every January i find my determination and vow to loose the weight this year - i often loose as much as 50 lbs...but a few too many BBQ's over the summer, then my birthday in Sept followed by Halloween....its just a downward slide into Christmas (or 'chocolatemas' as we call it here in my house!)   

So its January again and i am up a few extra pounds this year as my LO is 4 mo old.  I am home with him indefinitely, my eldest is 15 and is 'homebound' from school.  She was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease earlier this year.  She is doing better and will be returning to half day school at the end of this month - but she is actually a great help when it comes to cooking/child care.  Her naturapath recommended a diet with very little grains in it,  I have used the Atkins Diet to loose weight in the past - and since these two synch up so well i am trying that again this year. 

For me excercise is a lost cause - i dont mind taking my LO out for a walk on nice days and when i get down under 250 again i do like yoga, but thats about it for me and excercise! 

Thanks for starting the thread Wendyland! Good luck to us all!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#9 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Today was an excellent day for me. I busted butt all day with the kids - brought the two oldest to pre-K, cooked cheesy eggs for me and the LO, put chili in the crockpot, decluttered 20 items, organized 4 breast pumps for sale, made a baked bean quintet, and after hubby got home, I went to the gym.

At the gym, I jogged a mile, walked a half-mile, cycled 6 miles, did some strength training, then jogged another mile followed by a half-mile walk. I had a lot of time to think! idea.gif

So, here's my plan - I plan to work out 5 days a week. I plan to count calories. I plan to not eat after 8pm. I plan to quit drinking alcohol (except for the occassional glass of wine). I plan to eat small amounts every 3-4 hours to keep me satiated during the day. I plan to drink green fruit juice (home blended and strained) only on Saturdays (one gallon). Doing all of this, I hope to lose 3 pounds a week. It will take me 30 weeks to lose 90 pounds.

I want to reach my goal weight by August 1st. I won't be horribly disappointed if I don't make my goal, but I will be disappointed. I'm going to weight myself weekly or maybe even monthly. The point is to work hard during my workouts and really control what goes in my mouth. orngbiggrin.gif

#10 of 234 Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM

I'm in! 

I need to lose about 150lbs to get down to my "ideal" weight, but for me that really feels like a pipe dream.  I haven't weighed that little since I was like 12.  Realistically if I lose 100lbs I will be thrilled.  Beyond thrilled.  And then I can set a new goal from there. 

Tomorrow is my birthday, so that is when my New Year starts.  DH took me out to our favourite breakfast joint today so that was my last real treat (he works tomorrow, but was off today).  While we were out I picked up a Wii Fit Plus.  Has anyone used this?? 

My exercise plan is to do something active every day.  Working out with the Wii, doing an exercise dvd (I have plenty collecting dust), taking the kid and the dogs out for a walk at the off leash park, or going to aquasize at the pool.  Joining a gym is just not in the budget so I need to make this work at home. 

For my diet I plan on cutting out sugar as much as possible, and cutting way back on the white starchy foods (potatoes, white rice, white flour).  I know all of the foods that I shouldn't be eating, and I just need to do it.  At this point I am not intending to count calories as whenever I have done this in the past I have become obsessive about it, under-ate and then couldn't maintain.  So I am just going to focus on making healthy choices.  I will also be meal planning which should help. 

I weighed myself tonight for the first time in a long time, and I actually weigh more now than when I was pregnant 2.5 years ago.  That sucks so hard.  I have been running a home daycare for the last two years and that has lead to a seriously sedentary lifestyle as I was home all day every day with the kids, and then by the time they went home I was so exhausted I didn't have any energy to do anything for myself.  But I closed my daycare just before Christmas and will be doing childcare only two days a week from now on for just one extra child so no more excuses. 

I am tired of my body getting in my way.  I want more energy.  I want my clothes to fit better.  I want to set a good example for my kid.  I want to have better sex with my husband. 

We have been trying to conceive, and having a really tough go of it.  We got pregnant with my DD very quickly, so I strongly suspect that my added weight is the reason.  So add "I want a baby" to the list as well. 

I don't feel like I need a fancy program.  We all know what we need to do.  Move more.  Eat less.  We just need the commitment and motivation to stick to it. 

I am really looking forward to walking this journey with you ladies.  Here's to a healthier 2011!

ButtonGirl likes this.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#11 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 AM

I am SO in on this thread!! I knew I was gaining but was SHOCKED when I was weighed this morning I actually weigh as much now as I did when I was 9mos pregnant with my kids. I have about 100lbs to lose. I have a wii fit that I got from Christmans last year that I have never used so I plan on doing that for awhile before I jump in and get my fanny to the YMCA. I started school again this fall and gained about thirty pounds. I am a waitress and my job is very high energy and when I went to only working full time to only working part time with sitting a lot for school I just packed on the pounds. I am so uncomfortable in my skin right now. Hardly any of my clothes fit. Uh. Alas, it is time to make a change and I'm all for it! I am also quitting smoking and it has been five days since I have had a cigarette and I am feeling pretty good about that. I have been tossing it around for awhile that I really need to take a pro-active approach towards my health for the last few months. I am going into nursing and I want to be a healthy roll model for my family because right now I am far from it. I wear black yoga pants every day! HA! I am going to be 32 years old next month. It's time. I am going to track my food on fitday.com and get back to veg eating. Here's to us, Mamas!!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#12 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 AM

wendyland - can we start a list? I love lists orngbiggrin.gif

Something like...
Name:
Started:
Goal:
Motivation:
Plan:
Progress:

Here's a start. I didn't put in Motivation, but I did add as much as I could based on everyone's posts. Feel free to change anything.

wendyland (Wendy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Quit french fries. Eat more produce. Exercise more. 0/90

eurobin (Robin): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100 pounds. WW. Fitness (C25K). 0/100

Motivated Mama: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Exercise 5/7. Count calories. Small meals every 3-4 hours. No eating after 8pm. No alcohol. Green juice on Saturdays. 0/90

ButtonGirl: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: ? Walk. Swim. Exercise DVDs. No preservatives. Natural, home-cooked foods. 0/?

Caroline529 (Nancy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Lower cholesterol and liver enzymes. Lower carbs. Increase protein. Cut out sweets. Watch portion size. 0/90

DashsMama (Judy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 135 pounds. South Beach Diet. 0/135

motherhendoula: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: ? Atkins Diet. Control holiday and seasonal eating. 0/?

just_lily: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100-150 pounds. Exercise every day. Walk. Aquasize. Exercise DVDs. Wii Fit Plus. Cut out sugar and white starchy foods. 0/100

abbylotus: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100 pounds. Wii Fit. YMCA. Quit smoking. Track food on fitday.com. Eat more vegetables. 0/100

What do you all think? Could we add this to the top and track everybody monthly? Of course, nobody has to...

#13 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

wendyland - can we start a list? I love lists orngbiggrin.gif

Something like...
Name:
Started:
Goal:
Motivation:
Plan:
Progress:

Here's a start. I didn't put in Motivation, but I did add as much as I could based on everyone's posts. Feel free to change anything.

wendyland (Wendy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Quit french fries. Eat more produce. Exercise more. 0/90

eurobin (Robin): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100 pounds. WW. Fitness (C25K). 0/100

Motivated Mama: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Exercise 5/7. Count calories. Small meals every 3-4 hours. No eating after 8pm. No alcohol. Green juice on Saturdays. 0/90

ButtonGirl: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: ? Walk. Swim. Exercise DVDs. No preservatives. Natural, home-cooked foods. 0/?

Caroline529 (Nancy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 90-100 pounds. Lower cholesterol and liver enzymes. Lower carbs. Increase protein. Cut out sweets. Watch portion size. 0/90

DashsMama (Judy): Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 135 pounds. South Beach Diet. 0/135

motherhendoula: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: ? Atkins Diet. Control holiday and seasonal eating. 0/?

just_lily: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100-150 pounds. Exercise every day. Walk. Aquasize. Exercise DVDs. Wii Fit Plus. Cut out sugar and white starchy foods. 0/100

abbylotus: Starting Jan 2011. Goal: 100 pounds. Wii Fit. YMCA. Quit smoking. Track food on fitday.com. Eat more vegetables. 0/100

What do you all think? Could we add this to the top and track everybody monthly? Of course, nobody has to...

Motivated Mama - thanks for making the list! I'm not so great with all these forum shortcuts yet so hope this is the best way to respond....

So to complete mine: Kelly. Starting Jan. 2011. Goal: 100 pounds. Motivation - my daughter. Also, I want to have more kids, I hate being overweight, and I want to be able to wear cute clothes! Walk every day. Start swimming and/or doing exercise DVD's in the evenings. Cut out preservatives, processed foods, and make as much at home as possible. Control portions. 0/100.

And just an update...last night hubby took me out for dinner and even though I really wanted to, I didn't order fries. :)

I had high intentions to go walking with a friend today but I am stuck at home sick :(  It's really frustrating when I have all these good intentions but I'm trying to just be patient with myself and not lose motivation.

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#14 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Add me to the list!

Name: AtYourCervices
Started: Around Christmas
Goal: "Healthy Weight Range" under 160 lbs, preferably 140-145; currently weigh 220 lbs
Motivation: Honestly, I want to look fabulous.
Plan: Exercise 6 days a week, Weight Watchers Online
Progress: I must start over again. I've gone without exercising for the past 4 days due to a little bout of depression/laziness.

#15 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm finding this group really helpful. It's like I have a bunch of ladies out there just like me! orngbiggrin.gif

I bought a tap n track app for my iphone and I started using it today to count calories. I also figured out that at my weight, it would take me 3000 calories to maintain (which of course, I don't want to do). I want to lose 3# a week, so I need to cut out 1500 calories a day. (3500 calories in a pound). I will do this by exercising (minimum of 500 calories burned) and cutting my daily allowance down to 2000. This shouldn't be hard. I also did a bunch of math to figure out exactly what I should be getting in terms of carbs/protein/fats. I know which carbs and fats are good, so that's a plus thumb.gif

So far today, I have had 6 cups of coffee (2 mugs full) with cream and sugar, a cheese omelet, a small serving of baked bean quintet (that I made last night) and an apple. I've also drank 1L of water so far. I'm planning on chili (slow-cooked yesterday) tonight with a spinach-based salad. I'll report on how I did calorie-wise later.

I'm planning to go to the gym when DH gets home, so now! bikenew.gif

#16 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Hi Mamas,
Hope everyone is having a good day. I am laying off the veggies and high fiber foods a bit today. I am working hard to eat lots of protein at regular intervals. This keeps me from getting too hungry and eating junk.

I did 2 short exercise videos today. I got them off my On Demand cable for free. Does anyone else use that? They are great. Some are short others are longer, and there is yoga as well. You can get a good short workout in 15 minutes, and do another one later in the day.

A couple people here said they are quitting smoking and I just want to applaud you. Best move you could ever possibly make. I smoked in my 20s and quit 10 years ago and have never been tempted to go back. Keep up the good work, you will be so happy to be done with them.

Also, I wanted to talk a bit with everyone about sustained low calorie dieting and weight loss expectations/timetable. I am NO expert but the older I get (40s), the more I see that moderation is the only way to sustain anything at all in life. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I also am SO tired of beating myself up for failing when I set a standard for myself that is not attainable. I don't care if it takes me 5 years to lose just so long as I am losing and getting more fit. Anyone have any further thoughts?

TTYL,
Nancy
#17 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Other than juicefeasting, I've never tried low-calorie dieting. I know from juicefeasting that lowering your calories does work. As for maintaining, it's just as easy to go in the opposite direction. I didn't start gaining weight until 5 years ago, so I feel like I've been overindulging and for me, I just need to revert back to the way I was. That means no antidepressants, no drinking, and lots of exercise. Over the last 5 years, I've also learned a lot about nutrition, so it's just time to put it to use.

I know I have large expectations, but feeling crappy because I'm overweight and thinking that it's going to take me 5 years to reach my goal is not motivation enough for me. Like I mentioned before, I won't be horribly disappointed when I don't meet my goal, and I won't quit either. Let's just say we all have acceptable and ideal goals. For me, acceptable is 2 pounds per week and ideal is 3 pound per week. Of course, there's always a little bit of scatter over time. smile.gif

#18 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM

OOH!  I gotta go check out the 'on-demand' section of the TV - that would be awesome!

top finish up my list -

MotherHenDoula, started 1/2011 -Goal:  lose 140 lbs - my motivation is needing to be able to keep up with my now 4 month old (so far, i can barely get myself out my recliner after nursing him!)  Plan Atkins - Progress 0/140

I do think being able to support each other is a great idea - for me, the hardest part is doing this every damn year and feeling like i end up in the same place!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#19 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM

I have 50lbs to lose is that enough?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#20 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I don't know that I can answer for everybody, but sure! Maybe we should have criteria in the first post as well...

#21 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM

I think the criteria should be that the amount you have to lose is overwhelming to you.  I don't think the number matters so much.  For some, yeah, 50lbs is totally overwhelming.  Others maybe not so much.  I feel that what bonds us together is that "Oh my goodness, where do I even start?" feeling. 

I also think the timeline is important to consider.  Most of us are looking at 1year+, minimum, to reach goal weight.  We are all in it for the long haul. 

But I don't think this thread needs hard and fast rules or anything.  If you feel you have "a lot" to lose then you belong here. 

Quote:
Also, I wanted to talk a bit with everyone about sustained low calorie dieting and weight loss expectations/timetable. I am NO expert but the older I get (40s), the more I see that moderation is the only way to sustain anything at all in life. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I also am SO tired of beating myself up for failing when I set a standard for myself that is not attainable. I don't care if it takes me 5 years to lose just so long as I am losing and getting more fit. Anyone have any further thoughts?

I think the risk of very low calorie diets is that it is so hard to maintain.  As we walk this journey we need to take heed of those who have walked it before us - and they will all tell you that taking the weight off is the EASY part.  It is the maintaining that is hard.  So although This Diet, or That Diet will probably work in the short term, it is only through sustainable lifestyle changes that we will be able to succeed for the long term.  Some may use a special diet plan to kick start things and then move onto a more sustainable healthy eating plan going forward, and if that works for you, great.  Others just start with the healthy eating and are content with a slower loss.  I am in the second camp for now.

Realistically, the first thing I need to do is stop gaining weight.  Even just maintaining where I am at for a while will be a victory. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#22 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I don't know that I can answer for everybody, but sure! Maybe we should have criteria in the first post as well...

I figure if it will take approximately 6 months or longer for you to lose the weight, losing about 2 lbs a week, we can consider somebody as having "Lots to Lose", if that's how they feel. So, 50 lbs and up sounds like decent criteria.

#23 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM

I agree with prior poster on the 50# criteria. Sounds good to me!

I've been counting calories all day and I think I've spent way more time counting than eating. Maybe that's how it works lol.gif

I'm not only focusing on calories, but also in meeting my daily requirements for proteins, fats, and carbs. I had 300 cals remaining, but that's because I worked off 800 today at the gym! And I was shy on my fat. 2tbsp of peanut butter and celery would do, but I am so stuffed from the chili that I can't even finish, and I won't eat after 8.

So, the first day of really paying attention was a success. Now I know to throw in a peanut butter snack or some olive oil on a salad. I have a thing or two to learn about pacing and the 8:00 criteria is really going to work for me, I think. I always did my worst eating and drinking (alcohol) at night. The two really go hand-in-hand and were the result of unregulated depression. I'm on Lamictal now and it seems to be working in terms of regulating my moods. I still have ups and downs, but nowhere near as bad as a few months ago.

#24 of 234 Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline529 View Post

I COMPLETELY agree with this. Rigid timelines are a recipe for failure for me. I don't really care how long it takes as long as it happens. In the past three months, I'm averaging less than a pound a week lost and I'm thrilled with that. It'd be lovely to lose it all superfast but if I'm not deprived, I'm able to treat myself, I learn healthier habits, etc, I'll take whatever pace it takes. One day at a time.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#25 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM

my goal is to have lost it by my birthday in October...so I have quite a ways to go. I am also still BFing my 15 m/o so I can't lose the weight too drastically.

I just started eating healthy again 2 days ago. I cut out dairy again (DD was intolerant to it and still is directly) but I think I am too. I just gained 30lbs in 4 months from putting the things back into my diet that I had cut out for DD.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#26 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Kami, I gained my weight fast too. I put on 40 pounds in 5 months and have maintained for over a month once I realized the causes of the weight gain. I've been able to maintain by exercising and not drinking. Now, I've added the food monitoring so I can hopefully start losing!

Since I came in shy on my calories yesterday, I made a 2 egg cheese and garlic omelet this morning (more eggs, 1.5x cheese, and added garlic powder) along with my coffee with minimal cream and sugar. eat.gif I'm gonna cook up some chicken to put on a salad for lunch. And I'll be biking on my stationary bike today. I actually started working out 5-6 days a week on 12/16/10. I was super-active (P90X) in October before that, so I just have to keep busting butt! orngbiggrin.gif

How's everyone else doing with their plans: WW, DVDs, South Beach, etc?

#27 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM

i don't have a plan! I could probably use help...

so my back story is i have always had weight problems I was 120lbs in 6th grade...graduated at 210lbs. with calorie counting and working out like 2 hrs a day I got down to 175lbs...maintained it for a year. Then DP and I broke up for 8 months and I went on a drinking/partying/non-stop dancing binge and weighed 145lbs (thinnest I have ever been since I was 16!) I maintained that for almost another year after I drank minimally and DP and I (now DH) got back together. Then I got pregnant and gained 96lbs. (was 238) I was down to 161 with my limited diet, then DD got better and I went overboard and am up to 188.

#28 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Kami, I think you have to do what you love and not stop. Before all of my weight gain, I loved running. I loved exercise. And I love nutrition, cooking, making list, etc. A raw vegan diet did wonders for me, but was too heavy on the wallet. I've only begun to run again and have been counting calories for about 2 days lol.gif Everything I'm doing now though plays into my strengths. Tracking calories is fun for me and helps me to learn a lot more about nutrition and myself. Running/Biking/Weight training gives me me-time and time to think. I'm now hopeful and no longer depressed. I'm running toward that horizon. What do you enjoy? Drinking/partying/dancing in my mind = a zumba-like workout or something like "The S-factor" (pole dancing to lose weight smile.gif)

I learned today that I am eating waaay to much salt. Once I've depleted my freezer of flash-frozen, marinated chicken, I plann to lower that number. orngbiggrin.gif
Oh, and I did 10.2 miles on my home stationary bike today. orngbiggrin.gif

#29 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM

zumba would be great but i have $0 we literally have $16 a month left over after bills and food...and I usually buy one pack of dipes a month for $10 to use at night...which leaves $6

I am having trouble with finding anything I love lol especially now that it's cold. I am lazy as hell that's my problem. I spend time with DD all day playing and cooking. there I go with excuses...

#30 of 234 Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Hello, Mamas! I have been traking my calories and nutrition for the last two days. I'm back to vegan eating. I still haven't started exercising too much yet. I have started by getting down on the floor and stretching. Trying to reconnnect with my body. I know it will take while for me to work into daily excercise. I'm okay with that. I work tomorow and it will be like a four hour workout, but starting next week school starts back up for me and I will only be working one day a week. I will definately have to modivate to start moving more then. I am still smoke free! I feel great. I chew gum whenever the urge hits me. This is the longest I have gone without a cigarette (except during pregnancy and early infants) in years. I am very proud of myself. winky.gif

sosurreal09 likes this.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page