January 2011 Weight Watchers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Didn't see a WW thread for the new month/year, so I thought I'd start one.

I didn't post much on the last thread (maybe not at all) because I've really been struggling with a plateau since around Thanksgiving. Not sure if it was switching to the new plan or just that my body was hitting a set point or getting very close to a healthy weight or what. I've been hovering around 150. I realized though that many moms who are nursing hold on to an extra 10 lbs that their body won't let go of until they're done nursing. 140 is definitely a healthy weight for me (though I'd like to be closer to 130) and so maybe that is part of why I'm struggling at this point. I am nursing a toddler, which is hard in its own way, because unlike a baby who is fairly consistent in the amount they nurse (except obviously during a growth spurt) there is much more variation it seems in how much my toddler nurses. Some days its only 3 nursings and other days it seems nearly constant. My leader suggested that perhaps I needed to cut out my extra nursing points, but I noticed I seem to do better when I'm eating all of my daily points+ with some of the weeklies thrown in as well. I actually think my body may be trying to hold on to fat to protect my nursling (does that seem reasonable?) Any way I don't know exactly what's going on, but I think I might need to focus on other health indicators right now and just let my weight do what its going to do. I really want to focus on getting my body fat percentage down (by building up lean muscle), I want to exercise more consistently and improve my endurance and skills especially.

In one of life's funny twists, Dh, the kids, and I all got food poisoning the morning of New Year's eve. On New Year's day I woke up with horrible abdominal pain and ended up driving myself to the ER. So the bad news was that on top of food poisoning I also had/have a UTI. The good news though was that after having borderline high blood pressure after ds was born (when I weighed 180), yesterday my blood pressure was down to 105/70. So right now I'm really celebrating that because I know that I've really helped make myself healthier and that's so much more important than the vanity lbs you know. Also I was really worried about stepping on a scale because I didn't really count points since christmas eve, but I was also curious about how a bout of food poisoning might have played into it all, and I was down to 146.8 on the scale which is definitely my lowest weight since having kids. I know I might go back up a bit when I don't feel so icky, but since it took me a month to recover from thankgiving it would be great if I could get back on track quicker post christmas. 

So if anyone else though has experience with slowed weight loss as you approach the healthy range, or nursing and weight loss, changing body composition, I would love to hear any advice or experience. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#2 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I definitely need to get back on track. 

Thanks for the new thread! 

#3 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been doing bad the past couple weeks. Feeling sick, blah, etc. I gave up on tracking for today. I'll get back on track, though.

#4 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM

It's been about a week since I tracked anything, so I'm going to get back on plan today.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM

I've been good about tracking since yesterday morning. I logged all of my food and exercise yesterday and everything so far today in at weightwatchers.com

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 24 Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM

I've been great with working out this week but may skip my weigh in on Saturday. I have PMS, my right foot is swollen (probably about 6 lbs right there! LOL) and under the new plan I'm always hungry. I'm chalking it up to PMS though.

#7 of 24 Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Back to business today, tracked all of my food, and my sugar cravings are starting to disappear again - after a food good days on plan. I gained maybe 3-4 pounds over christmas but seemed to have lost most of that already, in a few days.. is that even possible? I weigh in tomorrow after two weeks, im hoping to not have gained, but I think its likely.

Oh well! Getting back at it, the snow and holidays scared me away from the gym for 4 weeks, but i went to a power yoga class tonight and feel amazing. I love the feeling being on plan gives me!

#8 of 24 Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

I just joined WW this week :)   

I have a 5 month old (exclusive nursling), so I am not trying to lose a lot or quickly for the next 6 months or so.  Tracking is easy for me, I kind of thrive on it- keeps me in check.  I used a free calorie counter after my first daughter was born and did pretty well, so I thought I would dive in to WW! 

Starting weight is 202 (monday).  I'm already down 1.5lbs this week (without hunger).  I hit 238 at the top of my pregnancy, lost a few quickly after birth and then stalled at 215 for a few months.  I recently lost another 12lbs in the last two months, and that leaves me at the 202, roughly.  We also joined the YMCA in September, so that has also helped tremendously (I'm a kickboxing and Zumba nut)!   My years goal is to lose 30-40lbs, putting me at 160-170 (I'm 5'5").  After that, I will be nursing a toddler and will have more leway to lose more quickly (in the 2lb/week range), and the next year, I'd love to get to 140!

Happy to have found this thread! 

#9 of 24 Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandica View Post

Back to business today, tracked all of my food, and my sugar cravings are starting to disappear again - after a food good days on plan. I gained maybe 3-4 pounds over christmas but seemed to have lost most of that already, in a few days.. is that even possible? I weigh in tomorrow after two weeks, im hoping to not have gained, but I think its likely.

Oh well! Getting back at it, the snow and holidays scared me away from the gym for 4 weeks, but i went to a power yoga class tonight and feel amazing. I love the feeling being on plan gives me!

It is possible to lose that holiday weight in a few days, especially because most of it is sodium (salt) and water weight. If you were only off track for a few days you probably only gained an actual pound at most.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#10 of 24 Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Hi, I'm ready to join WW but I'm unable to pay with the automatic deduct thing every month. Is there another way to pay? I really don't want anything coming out of my account on a regular.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#11 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Hi, I'm ready to join WW but I'm unable to pay with the automatic deduct thing every month. Is there another way to pay? I really don't want anything coming out of my account on a regular.

Are you going to go to meetings?  I think unless you are a lifetime member, you have to pay for meetings whether you go or not (like, if you miss a meeting, when you go back they charge you for the ones you missed).  I am thinking about joining (it is free registration right now), paying the fee for the first week to get the info and tracker and everything, and then doing it at home. 

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#12 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

Quote:

Are you going to go to meetings?  I think unless you are a lifetime member, you have to pay for meetings whether you go or not (like, if you miss a meeting, when you go back they charge you for the ones you missed).  I am thinking about joining (it is free registration right now), paying the fee for the first week to get the info and tracker and everything, and then doing it at home. 

I'm not going to meetings. That's a great idea. Are you going to join online and then cancel it after you get started and get the info and tracker?

#13 of 24 Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

doing it online and going to meetings are different.. I may go to the first meeting and get the points finder, and then not go.. although I do get alot out of the meetings.  I don't know.  Alot of health insurances will pay a certain amount per year for WW memberships... I am lifetime so I only HAVE to go once a month but I would like to go more often, it keeps me on track. When I used to weigh once a month, I would figure "ok, I just weighed in so I have a month before I have to go again, so I will eat a whole pizza and start tomorrow".  70 lbs later,....

If you join WW Online you don't get a points finder, you just put the info in online and it calculates it for you. Once you cancel it, you wouldn't have access to the online pts finder anymore... you may be best to go to the first meeting and get the pts finder there.  Just so you know, my friend just told me it is an electronic calculator now that you have to buy.. she paid $12.

I'm not going to meetings. That's a great idea. Are you going to join online and then cancel it after you get started and get the info and tracker?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#14 of 24 Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Interesting... Thanks for the info. I'll have to figure something out.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

doing it online and going to meetings are different.. I may go to the first meeting and get the points finder, and then not go.. although I do get alot out of the meetings.  I don't know.  Alot of health insurances will pay a certain amount per year for WW memberships... I am lifetime so I only HAVE to go once a month but I would like to go more often, it keeps me on track. When I used to weigh once a month, I would figure "ok, I just weighed in so I have a month before I have to go again, so I will eat a whole pizza and start tomorrow".  70 lbs later,....

If you join WW Online you don't get a points finder, you just put the info in online and it calculates it for you. Once you cancel it, you wouldn't have access to the online pts finder anymore... you may be best to go to the first meeting and get the pts finder there.  Just so you know, my friend just told me it is an electronic calculator now that you have to buy.. she paid $12.

#15 of 24 Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 AM

Well, I got to a meeting last night and I am really excited.  I paid my $13 weekly fee and the points calculator is on sale at our meeting for $5.95. The calculator is pretty neat, but it will take some time to figure out.  I know the key for me will be to go to weekly meetings.  I will probably sign up for the monthly pass next week (payday).  I did so well before and have been kicking myself for putting all the weight back on (granted it was through 5 pregnancies but still, I barely took any of that baby weight off). 

When I joined WW in 1999/2000ish, I weighed 165.4.  I got down to 133.8 and ta dahhhh I am now 200.8.  UGHHHHHHH.  How did I let that happen?  But I am really looking forward to this new start and maybe I won't be ashamed to be in a bathing suit this summer!!

#16 of 24 Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM

I just re-joined WW after an early loss of a surprise pregnancy. brokenheart.gif I had gotten down nearly to goal at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009, then my life went to pieces, quit the plan, gained a bunch back, and maintained the gain for the last year. So, now I'm starting over at 193. This week I lost 5.6 pounds! I'm down to 187.4. My ultimate goal is to get down to 140. I'm 5'6" and just turned 33.

*bejeweled* likes this.

--Jessica

Mom to Dom age 11, Joe age 7, and baby Maddie. love.gif

#17 of 24 Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM

hug.gif Awesome progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathochick View Post

I just re-joined WW after an early loss of a surprise pregnancy. brokenheart.gif I had gotten down nearly to goal at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009, then my life went to pieces, quit the plan, gained a bunch back, and maintained the gain for the last year. So, now I'm starting over at 193. This week I lost 5.6 pounds! I'm down to 187.4. My ultimate goal is to get down to 140. I'm 5'6" and just turned 33.

#18 of 24 Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

; But I am really looking forward to this new start and maybe I won't be ashamed to be in a bathing suit this summer!!

yeahthat.gif That will be my goal too. I plan to start in February/March.

#19 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I am on the pts + program and LOVE it!  I started in early december... I had stopped breastfeeding and gained about 6 lbs in 6 weeks, so I was motivated.  I am currently down about 10lbs from my start (176 to 166) and my next mini goal is 160 and my ultimate goal is 150... I am 5'10 and haven't weighed that since highschool.  Neither my husband or I are "fat" but we have both been the chunky people in a families of very slim, svelt people. He does P90X periodically and gets fit, I just don't have the time of motivation for something that is going to take over an hour out of my day.  My BIL is getting married in july, so the goal is to be looking awesome by then. 

For exercise I do 100 minutes of cardio a week.  I will probably have to ramp this up at some point, but I have no excuse for not being able to do 20 minutes 5X per week... so it keeps me honest. I want to add some strength training.  I had 2 babies very close together, my son in november 2008 and my daughter january 2010.  I got up to 208 or so with my son and 216 with my daughter and my stomach looks crazy.  I am glad my husband is a part of the married group of men who is just so happy to have a naked lady at all!!!

I thought I'd share some really good recipes that I find very tasty and pts + friendly, we made these on seperate occassions, but will make them together next time. Last night we just did the cabbage on rice with hotsauce and soy. We were both licking the bowl:

Ginger/Garlic Savoy Cabbage from food.com

• Prep Time: 5 mins
  • Total Time: 13 mins
  • Servings: 4

About This Recipe

"Versatile ginger makes this cabbage dish very tasty. Quick, easy and good"

Ingredients

• 1 head savoy cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs) or 1 head Chinese cabbage, cored, shredded across in approx 3/4-inch slices ( about 1 1/2 lbs)
    • 2 tablespoons lite olive oil or 2 tablespoons other oil
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • salt & pepper
    • 1 1/4 tablespoons ginger, minced
    • 1 limes, juice of

Directions

1. Heat wok or large skillet medium high heat, wait until oil is hot.
  2. Add cabbage and stir fry until cabbage just starts to wilt (do nor overcook).
  3. Add garlic, salt and pepper cook 1 minute.
  4. Add ginger cook 1 minute.
  5. Drizzle with lime juice and serve.

6 pts for whole recipe. SOOOOOOOOOOOO Good!

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th Old Points: 3 pts Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 146.1 • Fat: 6.1g Protein: 19 g Carb: 2.6 g Fiber: 0.4 g 

• 1 tsp oil
  • 4 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
  • 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 6 oz light coconut milk
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • salt to taste
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add scallion whites and red curry paste and sauté one minute. Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Fruitful4Him likes this.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
#20 of 24 Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM

I lost 6lbs in 2 weeks!  I love the new program.

obstruct livery vehicles

#21 of 24 Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM

HONEY693-

AWESOME!!! Good for you.

I was up 1lb, but didn't "do" anything to warrant that, so I am just ramping it up this week and hoping it was fluid. But I still love this diet.

Due January 23rd with my
#22 of 24 Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM

I've been on WW for about 3 months now.  I've lost 25 pounds, and I've really liked the program......but lately the thought of quitting and doing the rest on my own has been nagging me.  I'm just kinda tired of tracking points and I'd rather be doing something different with that time and money (like yoga or art classes).  After meetings I just feel kinda "blah" and wish my time out of the house could have been spent on something more fulfilling.  I feel like I could do it by myself...I'm so tempted to quit....but I don't want to become another weight watchers statistic.  (you know the one...."I lost a little, and quit and gained it all back...")  Anyway, I just got the idea to come here and share.  Maybe some of you have been there.  

#23 of 24 Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

GuavaGirl=

Have you considered switching to On-Line WW?  Its cheaper and you get your time back?

I have all the materials and am doing it "on my own" basically because I am a grad student without a job and my mom was nice enough to send me the materials.  So I guess it can be done, but I would describe myself as highly motivated and that is why its working for me right now.  If I felt I was falling too far off track I would probably try and come up with the money for meetings. Best of luck and CONGRATS on the 25lbs!

Due January 23rd with my
#24 of 24 Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM

I am down to 162.... Slow but steady! WAHOOOO!

When i started 159 was my goal, but later switched to 150.  Here I come!!!

Due January 23rd with my

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page