snowshoeing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Any other snowshoers here? Do you like it? When do you prefer it to cross country skiing? Any tips?

I haven't done this since high school but just received a new pair. After having almost 3 feet of snow dumped on us a couple of weeks before Christmas, I got sick right after and then all the snow melted greensad.gif It is snowing today and I am hoping we will get enough for cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the next week or two.

#2 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 PM
bec

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been, but heard it's a blast and really want to do it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#3 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 AM

I love showshoeing! I plan on getting out as soon as we have more snow because right now it's all ice where I live. I find snowshoeing much easier then cross country skiiing. I have skiis but have been only out a handful of times because I'm so uncoordinated. HA! I need to work on that. I want to get outside this winter instead of hibernating inside my house. I am going to embrace the snow and cold because it's here for 6mos out of the year where I live!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

We go dumped on last night (25 cm which is nearly a foot) so I should be able to get out there later today! Wish me luck smile.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

That was fun thumb.gif

I just need to figure out the easiest way to tighten the straps. Having a snowshoe fall off and not being able to adjust it quickly is a pain!

#6 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 AM

Oooh, I really want to try this. I've heard it's such a great workout and I kind of need something low impact but still tough b/c my recovery from having a baby is going really slowly (I'm 3 mo. pp). What kind of snowshoes did you get (brand, I mean)? 

#7 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaros84 View Post

Oooh, I really want to try this. I've heard it's such a great workout and I kind of need something low impact but still tough b/c my recovery from having a baby is going really slowly (I'm 3 mo. pp). What kind of snowshoes did you get (brand, I mean)? 

Yes,  I also want to know.  Where can I purchase snow shoes?  And do I need lessons, or can I just strap them on and get started by myself without instructions?

#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

My snowshoes came from Canadian Tire - nothing fancy!

It is really easy and a good workout. I just strap the showshoes over my boots and start walking. We have a lot of trails near our house that I can use and if I want to go off the trails to go through deeper snow that is easy to do. I didn't need any lessons and it was easier to get going and have a good time than the first time I cross country skiied.

#9 of 10 Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM

I love to snowshoe and did 2.5 m this morning. My snowshoes are from Sierra Trading Post, I think, and it's honestly just as easy as walking. You might consider renting a pair and trying it out before you buy!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#10 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

It is so much fun and so easy thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page