Training for a Marathon...What are you eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning on training for a marathon in September. I have been a runner in the past, but not long distance like this. What is your daily menu consist of? How many calories do you think you are consuming in a day? I want to make sure I am meeting all of my nutritional needs. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I ran a marathon in October and I didn't eat much differently from my normal diet, just more food, especially the day following a long run!  I found that if I trusted my healthy cravings I was doing well.  I found that I needed a little more red meat than usual too.  My typical diet is:

Breakfast:

peanut butter and jelly toast (2-3 slices of bread loaded with PB and a little jelly)

Lunch:

dinner leftovers

Dinner:

usually whole grains, a little meat, and a couple side veggies - usually a fairly large serving of whatever I made

Snacks:

apple with peanut butter, cottage cheese with fruit, crackers and cheese, hummus, yogurt, pretzels, etc. Usually something with protein and carbs.

I don't do strict calorie counting, but I probably ate 4000+ calories per day.  That helped to maintain my weight (I didn't lose much weight while training, but I did lose 1 1/2 pants sizes in the last 3 months of training!).  One random thing I started eating a lot of that I usually hate is bananas!  I couldn't get enough of them.  I also needed more calcium/magnesium to avoid leg cramps. 

During the runs that were 15+ miles I needed a snack during the run (usually a Luna bar or 2 or a banana) in addition to the water, sports drink (I use Vitamin water), Cliff gels and Cliff shot blocks.  If you haven't tried the shot blocks/gels, they were a great addition to my training and gave me a huge boost mid-run.  I'm not a caffeine drinker, but I like the gels and shot blocks with caffeine.  They gave me a much needed boost mid-run.  One way to ensure you are getting enough fluids during your run is to weigh yourself before and after a run.  If you have lost weight, drink 16 oz per pound lost.  Have fun with your training! 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page