Postpartum Dilemma/Here I Am Again: Lose All Pregnancy Weight Only to Regain It Later - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it might be different this time, but here I am again.  I am now 13 wks postpartum and I feel hungry all the time.  I've gained 5-6 pounds in about 1 week and now I am fighting weight loss again. This is my third pregnancy and like all the others I lost all my pregnancy weight by 4 wks postpartum (usually by 2 wks).  However, each time I have gained it all back within time, so now I am stuck with an extra 30 lbs on my body and trying to lose it while I am breastfeed a newborn and my 2 yr old (25 months).  I am not depressed, but I feel like eating sweets all the time and I feel ravished, so I am wondering how to counteract that.  I have begun to workout, so I hope that will help.  Perhaps some of you have encountered this too and have some suggestions. Thanks so much!  I would really like to lose the weight.  I know it is normal to retain some weight if you are breastfeeding, but 30 lbs. is ridiculous.  :-)

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM

This happened to me as well and it turned out to be thyroid disease.  For a long time it was "subclinical" meaning it did not show up on bloodwork, then it got so bad it did show up.  I would lose all the weight and then some right away, then by the time baby was a few months old I would be heavier than my delivery weight!  Super frustrating, I hear ya!

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

PS: the sweets craving could be candida/yeast.  Look into oil of oregano for that.  HTH!!

#3 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Montana Mom,

Thanks for the link. I feel like I wrote it. People have always been surprised to hear that I didn't gain my extra weight during my prenancies, that it was always the first 30 days after. I always lost all the pregnancy weight and more in the first few days two weeks max. Then a  mointh later I needed new clothes because I'd packed on so much weight. Always 30 lbs. and I don't gain any more, no matter what or how much i eat. Until the next pregnancy. I've had 5. I am so eager to explore this for myself! Thank You!

#4 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Very interesting!  Thanks so much.  I had no idea the cravings could be associated with candida. I have oil of oregano on hand, but I have to be sure if I can use it while breastfeeding.  I'll definitely look into the thyroid, although I think it may be more of the cravings and hormonal problem.  This time I am losing the weight and only a couple more to go to get back to pre-partum weight.  Then to work on the other 30 lbs.  I think it is going to take a huge commitment like it did to regulate my diet during the last pregnancy.  Thanks so much!

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the weight gain and sugar cravings too so I looked it up on Kelly's mom. Oil of Oregano is not recommended for nursing moms.greensad.gif

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 AM

My midwife told me while I was pregnant that my sugar cravings meant I needed more protein.  Maybe that was just because I was pregnant, but you could try boosting your protein intake and see if it helps?

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page