Talk with me...how do some women stay so thin? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
lab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really feel personally attacked this this post.  Did I even mention a thing about working out to look good in a bikini  - I need to check.......   I work out to feel good.  I work out to be healthy.  And ketchup is crap.  I really don't understand why these threads on weight always end up attacking posters for being healthy.   

The OP asked for help from 'thin' people in achieving a weight loss goal.   The OP read my post and was interested in the amount of work outs I do to maintain my weight.   My post even stated that I'm not skinny.  You can't have the sort of muscle mass I do and be skinny.  

I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my eating habits.  I answered the OP.   But I don't like to put things in my body that aren't good for me.  Doesn't mean I don't do it, but I don't like it.

I eat and exercise to stay healthy.  Ketchup is NOT healthy.    I'm not trying to maintain a size.  I'm trying to feel good.   And I feel GREAT.  I'm calm around my three teenagers and rarely yell or scream.  As a bonus - I have a six pack and love wearing clothes and bathing suits.   

I don't want anyone on this thread to push their eating issues on me and tell me I'm doing something wrong.  I'm doing something right.   I'm 41 years old and have a resting heart rate of 66.  My Total cholesterol is 182.   My HDL is 105 and my  LDL 68   I haven't attacked anyone for their life choices........

journeymom likes this.

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#62 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I never thought of ketchup as a crap food choice.  It probably is though.  And whatever it is that I am dipping in ketchup.
That's the kind of stuff I mean when I say "Start thinking about a food's purpose in your diet."

Start reading labels. Ketchup is nothing but tomatoes and sugar. What value is it adding?
Ketchup on some eggs is such a little thing. But all those little things add up. Giving up HP Sauce with a toddler was a big chore in my home, but we kicked it and don't miss it anymore. These tiny changes can help get the snowball rolling towards a more healthy diet.

Or you could make your own darn ketchup (TF style) and stop stressing about it all together.

This applies to HP sauce, too. My mom made both when we were kids. Admittedly, that didn't impress me much as you couldn't pay me eat either of them, whether homemade or storebought, but they were definitely a whole different ballgame than the bright red stuff my kids eat.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post

I really feel personally attacked this this post.  Did I even mention a thing about working out to look good in a bikini  - I need to check.......   I work out to feel good.  I work out to be healthy.  And ketchup is crap.  I really don't understand why these threads on weight always end up attacking posters for being healthy.   

The OP asked for help from 'thin' people in achieving a weight loss goal.   The OP read my post and was interested in the amount to work outs I do to maintain my weight.   My post even stated that I'm not skinny.  You can't have the sort of muscle mass I do and be skinny.  

I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my eating habits.  I am answered the OP.   But I don't like to put things in my body that aren't good for me.  Doesn't mean I don't do it, but I don't like it.

I eat and exercise to stay healthy.  Ketchup is NOT healthy.    I'm not trying to maintain a size.  I'm trying to feel good.   And I feel GREAT.  I'm calm around my three teenagers and rarely yell or scream.  As a bonus - I have a six pack and love wearing clothes and bathing suits.   

I don't want anyone on this thread to push their eating issues on me and tell me I'm doing something wrong.  I'm doing something right.   I'm 41 years old and have a resting heart rate of 66.  My Total cholesterol is 182.   My HDL is 105 and my  LDL 68   I haven't attacked anyone for their life choices........

Lab...I can understand why you feel attacked, but I have to admit that your first post (not your later ones) really did sound like an "I work out to keep thin, because looking good ts what's important" post. You didn't really say that, but it did kind of sound like it. I loved your comment about not eating ketchup and having a brownie later...but I do know at least two people who would rather have the ketchup (i canNOT relate).

I think your exercise levels are impressive. I used to do that, but it's been a long time.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
lab

Thank you Storm Bride - once again - you are the voice of reason!

ds20, dd18, ds17
#65 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

The OP asked for help from 'thin' people in achieving a weight loss goal.   The OP read my post and was interested in the amount to work outs I do to maintain my weight.   My post even stated that I'm not skinny.  You can't have the sort of muscle mass I do and be skinny.  

I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my eating habits.  I am answered the OP.   But I don't like to put things in my body that aren't good for me.  Doesn't mean I don't do it, but I don't like it.

I am sorry you feel attacked by my posts but I feel that your views on what constitutes "healthy" is actually rather fringe. I am not offended by your eating habits, but I am always rather taken aback when people buy into the idea that looking thin equals looking good (and equals health)...it gets my hackles up. To be clear, the OP is the one who originally mentioned bikinis. but you also posted:
Quote:
In the winter, I slack off and gain weight. In the summer (bathing suit season) I work hard.

Implying that one has to be small and fit (implying that is what looks good) to wear a bathing suit well. Also implying that looking good indeed matters.

Different foods work for different people. Nobody likes to feel like crap when they eat, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy ketchup and maintain a healthy lifestyle at the same time (am I the only one here who finds it really hilarious that ketchup has become the posterchild for ill health in this thread?). You are proud of your life choices, but, and I say this as gently as I can, you are willfully conforming to and trumpeting a media-driven beauty standard. And though you also have pointed out the positive effects you think your lifestyle has on your stress levels, in light of the former your posts are just way too self-congratulatory for my comfort.

You are doing something right for you, but others may have a different, equally legitimate approach.

And on a side note I don't think I have eating issues...in fact I think I am the opposite of eating issues being as laid back about overall diet as I am. Nor do I have body image issues except for the afore mentioned irritation at the thin stereotype being so constantly touted.
#66 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Aww, why do so many of these threads seem to end with hurt feelings? Come on mamas, let's support each other. Getting back to the OP I think I already posted my thoughts on Facebook.  I love FB for catching up but it isn't exactly real life.

Ruthiegirl, it sounds like you are eating right and exercising and feel good. That is what matters.

It's important that we all remember thin does not equal healthy necessarily. It just means the individual is unlikely to have to deal with health complications from carrying too much weight. I know plenty of thin people who don't exercise or watch what they eat and have high blood pressure, or cholesterol out of whack or poor bone density. I also know people with BMIs that are considered obese but they are muscular and healthy, the muscle throws it off the BMI calculation a bit but they are very fit.

I am one of those women who is postpartum (although it's been 9 months and trying to lose weight. Not to look good in a bathing suit although that doesn't hurt but because I don't feel fit and healthy.  I exercise because it seems to balance me in a lot of ways and because I can slim down.

Finally, if anyone has a recipe they like for ketchup I would love it. My son likes ketchup on everything and all I can find in the store is a condiment that really does seem more like candy and is pretty far removed from a tomato.

#67 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

The OP asked for help from 'thin' people in achieving a weight loss goal.   The OP read my post and was interested in the amount of work outs I do to maintain my weight.   My post even stated that I'm not skinny.  You can't have the sort of muscle mass I do and be skinny.  

nod.gif   I can't understand why this topic is being debated in the Fitness and Weight Management forum. The majority of the posters that come here are looking for advice/tools/inspiration to be fit and healthy and/or manage their weight.

#68 of 117 Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Well, I guess the short answer is that some women stay thin with hard work and some women stay thin with no effort at all with plenty of in-between.  And I guess it gets complicated only because there are so many different answers to how we relate to our weight and feel very personal about which choices we make.  FWIW I don't think that there anything wrong with choosing to control one's weight for appearance if you are able to do so.  Why not?  If you are still healthy in your approach and feel goal-oriented that way good for you. 

Beauty is beautiful even if it's not everything that matters, even if we don't agree on what is beautiful and why, and even though it doesn't itself create health, happiness, etc. it's still pleasing and can ad something positive.  Good looks are a good thing.  And you don't need to be superficial to have an interest in looking the way you want to look and making it happen.  It's also not necessarily bad/lazy to not work hard for any of it!

I don't care enough to bother much with working for looks, but I also like the way I look...  I certainly don't think caring less about my looks means I am morally better than anyone else, or deeper, or less self-centered, or means I am focused on the more important things in life.  I simply am who I am but I don't need to be defensive in a way that makes those who are different any less.  Aren't people who work at their weight for appearance fine people?  Aren't those who focus less on weight and more on other aspects of their health fine people?  Aren't people who don't work on their weight fine people too?  Aren't we all succeeding if we are finding a balance that works well for us?

I just think that some issues make people feel defensive.  It's too bad.  I have sympathy for all here, all sides of this.   No one is really wrong being themselves.  Peace.

Ellien C likes this.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#69 of 117 Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:

My point is really that anyone can and should wear a bikini...that should not be reserved for bodies that are considered "socially beautiful".

I think I must have a very different view of fat than most. I've been everything from a size 6 to a 14 and I have never thought of myself as fat. I gained 65 lbs when I was pregnant with DS and I never thought I was overweight. My mother is the complete opposite. When she was young she was convinced that she was ugly...but she was thin so she based all of her self worth on having a nice body. When she lost her adolescent body (when she had a baby basically) she felt she had no worth anymore. So I grew up in a household that had a huge focus on looking thin, and I guess my reaction to it was to reject that whole value system....

nod.gif to the first part of your post.

As for the latter, I would love to know how you really came to have a different "view of fat than most".  I understand rejecting the value system you grew up with, but was it really that simple?  You have a very positive attitude and I think most people want that attitude and want to believe they have that attitude, but don't truly believe it/feel it.  I admire you.

#70 of 117 Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

OP here.   Well,  I am the one who mentioned bikinis. I should have resisted mentioning them.  Apologies to those who have gotten caught up in the negative chatter.  

What I am struggling with is the health issues in my family due to obesity -- grand, huge obesity.  Not a mama belly, or a little pooch, or soft curves or little love handles, but morbid obesity.  Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, you know...death.  Not that everyone who is heavy is unhealthy, but in my family it is that way.  The more obese among us are the unhealthiest.   

So, then I see oodles of my friends looking so very slim and it is breaks my heart.  Because, while some women seem to have figured it out and eat and live and are active (I don't say healthy, but I do think their tendency to be slim lowers their risk of many of today's health problems), I still struggle with a huge appetite and weight.  And I see my children struggle with huge appetites.  My son is tremendously overweight.  Not because he eats candy and soda, but because he overeats.  My lovely sweet boy who I have breastfed and loved and held, continues to be very big and we still have a lot to learn.  And this come from a mama who has completely revamped out diet once to accommodate various food intolerances.  

I would love to hear more supportive comments.  Helpful advice.  

On the bright side, we have been walking every night as a family.  I started serving dinner with a big pitcher of water (thanks for that tip!)  and I have been plating dinner in the kitchen and then setting the table with a big salad, a side of steamed veg and a fruit salad.  This way, everyone has a portion of rice/beans/meat and can then self serve as much fruit/veg as they want.  

I took a long walk yesterday and again today and have a session at the gym planned tomorrow.   So, it feels like I am moving more and snacking less.  Evenings are hard.  Dh likes to eat at night and I have a hard time resisting.  The past 3 nights I have just taken a book and gone to bed earlier to be away from the kitchen.

I am learning the hard truth that it takes a lot of diligence to maintain a proper weight, especially as I get nearer to 40.  Every bite matters.  I really have a long way to go to retrain my eating habits.   

And thanks again for the lively debate.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#71 of 117 Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

It sounds like you're taking steps in the right direction.  smile.gif  I think it's wonderful you're looking for solutions, not only for you, but for your family. 

#72 of 117 Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM

OP it sounds like you are doing a great job on heading down the right track for finding better health for your family.

Personally I do think genetics has a role in weight. Dh and I eat pretty similar because I do all the cooking. But he is more stocky and tends to gain weight easily. If he's exercising regularly (like 5-6 times a week for 45 minutes) he can maintain and lose a little. But as soon as he stops exercising he will regain weight within days or weeks. I on the other hand have not exercised regularly since having children and have managed to stay slim because of part genetics, nursing and losing calories to ds, and eating well. But when ds stops nursing I know I'll put on 5-7 lbs if I don't start to exercise, but then that will be over a period of several months (very different from dh). He does have a different approach to food than I do. Food can be simple to him but then he will tend to over do it with fats and sweets. He had a much better diet for him while he was vegan but he has chosen to reincorporate dairy in his diet because it's easier for me to cook for the whole family. I think for him he would maintain a healthier weight if he were vegan again. For me, I ate vegan for a year when we first met and it was not a healthy diet for my body. I like to focus on flavor and varying my diet up. If i feel fullfilled with the flavor and spices of food then I tend to not binge on fats and sweets so much. Dh thinks I need to not worry about planning meals and sometimes just make some of the the same 5-6 meals we typically eat. But I find that if I vary up what we're eating I feel more fullfilled and enjoy food more and in turn not over eat as much.

I think what each person needs can be different and it can be hard to meet all those needs within a family.

We also need to focus on exercise as a family. Ds has a similar body type as his dad and although he's not overweight at all he's also in the "picky stage" of eating. But I do think about trying to help him have a healthy relationship with food and exercise so that he incorporates those things as he gets older.

I used to exercise for 5-6 days a week for at least 45-60 minutes (prior to kids). I think if I want to maintain my weight once I'm done nursing this is optimal for me. I should be exercising more now regardless of weight because I know I'd feel better and my digestion would improve.....  I don't feel like I'm really healthy at this point even though I'm slim because I know I need more exercise. I think if you can continue to focus your efforts on being healthy and making healthier choices that might make you happier then focusing on the weight. I know that can be easier said than done.

#73 of 117 Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Hello all.

I have read this thread and I think it might be a good idea for us all to remember some of the rules of this forum:
Quote:
Members are welcome to share their personal experiences and opinions, but please avoid telling others what they “should” do in their unique situation. Trust members to make their own personal healthcare decisions, in conjunction with a trained care provider as necessary.

This discussion has gotten a bit heated but I believe that it is a good discussion that is worth having, and I will not close it unless things get out of hand.

The reason I mod here is because I too (as most of us) struggle with weight and exercise while having kids/fulltime job/etc... so I can understand that it is hard for many of us. So please let's all remember that we are all coming from different places, with different upbringing, and even different expectations. This is a sore and touchy subject... and it is easy for us to get offended by something that was said offhand, while it is also easy to offend without meaning to.

Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt here and continue with this great discussion. smile.gif

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#74 of 117 Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Anyone read "Good Calories, Bad Calories"  He makes an excellent argument for why metabolisms can lead to obesity and why yo-yo dieting happens and... well, a lot of stuff. 

I'm not overly thin (technically about 7 lbs "overweight" still for my height - I'm 5'2'' and 143lbs, but I'm somehow wearing size 4 jeans?  I think it's a fluke, though because I bought the stretch jeans from eddie bauer and I think they're playing with sizes.  I'm certainly no 4 in any other brand that I've seen).  I am pretty sure I don't lose weight easily because I have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner almost every night.  I enjoy that, though, so I'm sort of shrugging the weight loss off.  My personal problem, right now, is that I don't feel strong!  I used to be into fitness and fairly athletic, but since I started having babies I have been something of a couch potato.  So, recently I started running - just hoping to get back that feeling of strength... though I wouldn't complain to slim down a bit...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#75 of 117 Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

Anyone read "Good Calories, Bad Calories"  He makes an excellent argument for why metabolisms can lead to obesity and why yo-yo dieting happens and... well, a lot of stuff. 

I'm not overly thin (technically about 7 lbs "overweight" still for my height - I'm 5'2'' and 143lbs, but I'm somehow wearing size 4 jeans?  I think it's a fluke, though because I bought the stretch jeans from eddie bauer and I think they're playing with sizes.  I'm certainly no 4 in any other brand that I've seen).  I am pretty sure I don't lose weight easily because I have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner almost every night.  I enjoy that, though, so I'm sort of shrugging the weight loss off.  My personal problem, right now, is that I don't feel strong!  I used to be into fitness and fairly athletic, but since I started having babies I have been something of a couch potato.  So, recently I started running - just hoping to get back that feeling of strength... though I wouldn't complain to slim down a bit...

Dang...talk about different body types. I'm 5'7" and (currently) weigh 135 and I wear an 8-10 (depends on the day) in EB sizes. I've never fit into a four in my life though. I started wearing my current size at about age 11 (when I reached my current height).
#76 of 117 Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM

I think it's just because it's the stretch. It's also the "curvey" type. I'm definitely at least a 6 (probably 8) in their regular stuff. The 4 arrived today and fits perfectly, though. So bizarre. The "medium" stockings I have from there don't fit right, though. I think I just found some kind of weird jean quirk.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#77 of 117 Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM

To the OP - I'm a person who also finds that losing weight takes diligence, but it does get easier with time.  For me personally, portion control is the problem.  Once I establish good habits I can coast a bit.  :hug

#78 of 117 Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

Dang...talk about different body types. I'm 5'7" and (currently) weigh 135 and I wear an 8-10 (depends on the day) in EB sizes. I've never fit into a four in my life though. I started wearing my current size at about age 11 (when I reached my current height).

Isn't it insane?  I'm 5'6 and 115 and wear anything from a 2-6.

DH and I have never really had weight problems, but we've definitely hit a non-active stage of our lives right now.  We've made the choice to get more active as a family, not exercising for weight loss or anything else specifically but just to enforce good habits in our kids.  They're extremely active themselves, but dh and I definitely need to get into it as well.  And I know I feel better when I'm moving than when I'm not.  I'm not a couch potato by any means, but I really need to step it up.

ETA: I know I already answered this thread, but I've been thinking more about it.  I do think genetics play some part (in my case, it's easy to see.  My mom, grandma and I are all built exactly the same, as is my oldest son).  But I think habits, life style, etc all play a part as well.  In my case, I've always eaten often, but smaller amounts.  My dh on the other hand, eats a huge amount of food.  But he can go hours and hours without eating, I just can't.  We don't eat out much, we eat mostly whole foods that I make from scratch.  My kids tend to follow my eating habits, so they eat often as well.

#79 of 117 Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 AM

I hear you, mama ... and hugs.

I am feeling 'fat' right now, too. People always shoo fat comments away, but this is what I mean when I say it: I weigh much more than I should, than my body type should look like, than a healthy diet and some good old fashioned movement would have me at.

For the first half of my life I was medicated for ADHD, and never had to consider my weight (although I did)- I was always very thin.

I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy, but lost it all plus a good ten pounds after- and felt and looked amazing.

However, int he past year and a half I've gained thirty or so pounds. I'm 5"6 and weigh about 145. I am pudy and feel sore and tired a lot due to this extra weight. I am CONSTANTLY eating bingeing on bread-with-butter, cookies, candy, chocolate, cheese.... I have gone through 'good' periods where I was high-veg, sometimes vegan... right now I am at a very low point. Over the past year I think I've read EVERY nutritional book/approach out there. Knowledge, here, is not power- it serves as a boost of motivation for a week or so, then it's back to the binge.

Eating foods that taste divine feels like love to me. I don't know how to go about cutting myself off from something that tastes so good. That's what it comes down to.

So, for now, I am hurting as well...... especially with spring and summer coming up, where I know I will begin to be harder on myself as more skin is revealed and I have to compare my body to those around me... my DH is fit, and handsome, and is working out now, and I feel like with he deserves better ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Apologies for not replying  Mothering has been eating my posts...trying again.  

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies.  I have read everything and been doing a lot of thinking.  

I know a lot of it is genetics and I do come from a long line of obese family members.   Obesity is taking my family from me -- diabetes, heart disease and cancer are killing us.  I have done better than most of my immediate family - I have kept my weight under 200 pounds and I am now 175.  Yes, I am obese, but the painful truth is that I am quite slim by my family's standards.  My 7 year old son is now overweight and I am at pains to improve his health before the excess weight takes a toll on his health and well being.  

We are living in Sweden right now and I am keenly aware that we are the heaviest people around.  The Swedes are slim people.  I am 1/2 Swedish by heritage, so I just cannot continue to believe that I am genetically preprogrammed to be overweight.  Lifestyle is central to the Swedish method of staying slim.  While we have been here I have been eating better and exercising more and it has showed with a 7 pound weightloss.  

But my "healthy" eating is simply not good enough -- like many on Mothering, I work hard to insure that my family eats well -- we have food sensitivities -- no wheat and no milk.   These limitations have meant that we eat nothing processed  -- no fast food, no pizza, nothing packaged, nothing prepared.  All of our food is home cooked, all of it comes from simple ingredients - oatmeal and brown rice are our basic starches, we eat chicken and fish, no beef.  We grow a large garden, we eat fruit and vegetables with every meal.  We eat nuts and seeds and lentils and beans and avacados and olive oil and coconut oil.  

And yes, I am pained by the Facebook pictures.  I admit to being very frustrated.  I feel that I am doing well, but I am simply not doing good enough.  I see friends who are outrageously slim.  And not "I squeezed myself into Spanx" slim, but "I look rocking naked" slim.  I go to the gym here in Sweden and I am clearly the fattest woman in the locker room.  

I know that I am simply the fat woman who is eating too much.  And feeding my family too much.  

I hurt today.  I am sad to be struggling with this.  I am sad to be doing so much and to still be so far from my goal.  

Forgive my self-indulgence.  I thought about not posting at all, but I now that I am not the only one who feels this way and it helps to get it out.  My dh has the kiddos out to ice skate and I am off for a run.  I do love to run and have worked my way up to a nice 3 mile loop at an easy pace.  It feels great and I love to be outdoors -- soothing for my achey soul right now.  

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#80 of 117 Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Have you ever looked at the book "Around the World in 80 Diets"?
http://www.amazon.com/What-Eat-Around-World-Diets/dp/0984074406
It's really interesting to see the different sizes of people and what they eat.

OP - I am in the same boat as you. We are on a limited diet and eat mostly home cooked meals. Everything is actually good and healthy. But I am forever fighting the fat. I have to really work at this. I am trying to get baby weight off but it is hard. I come from a food obsessed family and it is so hard. It has affected me more than I ever thought it would. I just know I have to think more and eat less even though the foods i am eating are healthy. I'm still eating too much. That's why a portion control ww approach has worked for me before. But now that I am 30 and had the 2nd kid, it's even harder. Excercise is a must for me now so I am doing that too. After I had my ds I lost 80 pounds with just my diet changes. Isnt so easy to lose this time and I have a lot less to lose.
#81 of 117 Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM

I don't consider myself thin, I consider myself lean. I used to be obese. Now my body fat is 18%. I've read a lot about body fat's role in disease, and now it's really important for me to keep mine low. My weight isn't low, I'm actually up near the top of my healthy weight range for my height.

So, all that said. I keep track of how many calories I consume and burn. I eat healthy foods, but they don't keep me lean. Balancing my energy in and energy out is what keeps me lean. I stay active, so I burn a lot, which means I eat a lot. I'm not starving myself here, I eat 3000+ calories a day. I just make sure not to get out of balance. It takes me about 15 minutes a day to journal my food and activity. It doesn't control my life. It's given me control over my health.

ETA: like a pp, I also exercise 6-7 days a week for 60+ minutes. More than half of those minutes are spent in the weight room. And I enjoy every minute of it.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#82 of 117 Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I think people who are "naturally" thin use food the way it was intended ~ to provide energy.  Not to drown sadness, not to celebrate, not to fill bored spaces in life or for any other reason other than to nourish the body.  I tend to use food for other reasons, but there have been times in my life when I have concentrated on eating ONLY when I'm hungry and stopping, even mid plate, when I'm satisfied.  When I do this, I get normal-thin.  Not skinny.  I'm not dieting during these times, nor am I bingeing or purging or exercising 3 hours a day.  Just listening to my body's energy needs and feeding myself appropriately.

This is how I've always ate, and I'm thin. Heavier than high school but still thin. I've always thought about making sure I have a balanced meal, eating incredibly slow, and rarely clean my plate (not on purpose, just my normal). I do have high metabolism, but I think 6 small meals a day keeps it fast. However I'm out of shape, not very much muscle tone and endurance. I need to work out now (26 years old) to stay thin for the rest of my life.

Also, I live in an area where organic and healthy food choices are in abundance and mainstream (Seattle area). I grew up with parents who care about the nutritional value of the food they eat and exercise. I think that's huge, growing up eating healthy makes it so I prefer brown rice and salmon. :)

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#83 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambereva View Post

I don't consider myself thin, I consider myself lean. I used to be obese. Now my body fat is 18%. I've read a lot about body fat's role in disease, and now it's really important for me to keep mine low. My weight isn't low, I'm actually up near the top of my healthy weight range for my height.

So, all that said. I keep track of how many calories I consume and burn. I eat healthy foods, but they don't keep me lean. Balancing my energy in and energy out is what keeps me lean. I stay active, so I burn a lot, which means I eat a lot. I'm not starving myself here, I eat 3000+ calories a day. I just make sure not to get out of balance. It takes me about 15 minutes a day to journal my food and activity. It doesn't control my life. It's given me control over my health.

ETA: like a pp, I also exercise 6-7 days a week for 60+ minutes. More than half of those minutes are spent in the weight room. And I enjoy every minute of it.

I love this post!!   

Like you, I love lifting weights and looking strong!  My appearance matches me on the inside.....Your arms look fantastic in this picture. 

Don't you love the definition and lines in your arms! 

ds20, dd18, ds17
#84 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I love this post!!   

Like you, I love lifting weights and looking strong!  My appearance matches me on the inside.....Your arms look fantastic in this picture. 

Don't you love the definition and lines in your arms! 

Thanks! That pic is a year old, and I've converted about 6 pounds of my body mass from fat to lean since then, without losing a pound. Looking strong is awesome, and BEING strong is even better! You look amazing yourself!

One thing I hear a LOT is people saying 'oh, I could never exercise an hour every day, it would take over my life!' or something along those lines. I think what people don't understand until they experience it is that when your body is healthy and fit, moving is a JOY. A primal, compelling JOY. Yes, when I started exercising it was difficult and often unpleasant, but as my body became stronger it became more pleasant until one day I realized that THIS is what my body is built to do, move! Move a lot! Lift and climb and jump and run! It feels so good, and when I don't do it my body begins to ache and slow down. The time I used to spend sitting with my kids I now spend moving with my kids. Staying fit and healthy hasn't taken over my life, it's made it better, in every way.

#85 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:

One thing I hear a LOT is people saying 'oh, I could never exercise an hour every day, it would take over my life!' or something along those lines. I think what people don't understand until they experience it is that when your body is healthy and fit, moving is a JOY. A primal, compelling JOY. Yes, when I started exercising it was difficult and often unpleasant, but as my body became stronger it became more pleasant until one day I realized that THIS is what my body is built to do, move! Move a lot! Lift and climb and jump and run! It feels so good, and when I don't do it my body begins to ache and slow down. The time I used to spend sitting with my kids I now spend moving with my kids. Staying fit and healthy hasn't taken over my life, it's made it better, in every way.

I so totally agree with you about moving being a true joy!  I also exercise at least an hour a day 5+ days a week.  If I end up missing a day or two, I start to crave a run.  Pure joy once I'm out there on the road again.  And on that note, I'm heading to the basement to ride my bike on the trainer for an hour!!!  Not to "be skinny" but to be happy.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#86 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I think that's huge, growing up eating healthy makes it so I prefer brown rice and salmon. :)

If I could afford it, I'd eat salmon at almost every meal. (Mind you, I'd probably eat too much of it, because it's soooooo yummy, so I'd probably still be fat.)

#87 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

That's what I've done a few times in my life. It's not working this time. The more I exercise, the more everything aches (and it's not from overdoing, either - I've been trying to ease back in gently). Exercise used to be a joy. It's not, anymore. It just sucks. After a few weeks, I get discouraged, and stop...and then the aches get a bit better. *sigh*

#88 of 117 Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

That's what I've done a few times in my life. It's not working this time. The more I exercise, the more everything aches (and it's not from overdoing, either - I've been trying to ease back in gently). Exercise used to be a joy. It's not, anymore. It just sucks. After a few weeks, I get discouraged, and stop...and then the aches get a bit better. *sigh*

I wonder if it doesn't get harder as you get older. I was 35 when I started exercising and it took at least 6 months for it to start feeling good. I sometimes look back in awe that I kept at it in spite of the slow-as-molasses results and sheer misery of dragging my slow, fat ass to the gym day after day. lol.gif

#89 of 117 Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 AM

I've been heavy and thin for long periods of time. My genetics are a mix of thin a not obese but heavy.
When I was heavier, now I'm pregnant so I'm not counting now ( trying not to,) I over excersise, under eat and eat food I'm barely sensity to or have real reactions to.
When I'm thin, I excersice intensely but smart. This mean know when my cortisol kicks in. There are ways of figuring this out. Not excersicing more then an hour, that only work for wt training for me. For cardio I find simply doing peak eight,( google: mercola peak 8,) makes this easy.
Foods I need to avoid to stay thin is a very long list, including, chicken, beans, nuts, coconut, avocado, dairy. I only know about these foods because I get into eating ruts where I eat the same thing for weeks. I need to eat a very high fat high protiens diet. And to top it all off only one big to normal sized meal a day and the rest of the day small amounts and lots of liquid.
I read a little food trick, every bite of food is 25 extra calories. Now I know this isn't really true, but it kept me from finishing my daughters food, or that bite while cooking. It kept me aware.
Thin or heavier in my case had nothing to do with happiness. Though I understand for others it is a big factor.
I also learned just because a food is a super food for a great many people doesn't mean it is
For me and vice versa.
And happy people, you never know what is going on behind closed doors. I work with many people who appear very happy to others but are miserable inside themselves or in their relationships.
#90 of 117 Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:

I wonder if it doesn't get harder as you get older. I was 35 when I started exercising and it took at least 6 months for it to start feeling good. I sometimes look back in awe that I kept at it in spite of the slow-as-molasses results and sheer misery of dragging my slow, fat ass to the gym day after day. lol.gif

Oh, age must have something to do with it.  I am 38 and in 'drag my fat ass to the gym mode".  It is hard!   But rewarding and it gets easier each time. And I love the relaxed and mellow feeling I have when I leave.  I could get seriously addicted to those endorphins.  

So, this thread has been a real turing point for me.  I started weight watchers, have been walking/running more and have an appointment for a training session at the gym.  I need some help putting together a weight training routine.  The exercise feels great, the diet feels manageable and I am all ready losing weight and feeling better.  But before any of that could happen, I needed to get my head for some big life changes.  Now just to keep the motivation and make it happen.  

nina_yyc and nola79 like this.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page