Talk with me...how do some women stay so thin? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 117 Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considered thin by most people a 2/4. I have been thin most of my life, save for a few years on depo. Actually, I was too thin when younger but I think that was due to undiagnosed food issues(celiacs). I had to work to lose the weight from the depo - changed my food- worked out all the time and took a year to lose 30 lbs. I gained 55, 35 and 35 with each kid and the weight didn't fall off with any of them. I went back to working out as soon as possible. Watched what I ate etc and generally lost it by 4-6 months.

I have been an exercise fanatic off and on since losing that weight 10 yrs ago now, did p90x before my last baby, did CF this past summer and before but don't care to do that anymore. I am much more interested in doing family fitness activities. I used to love going to the gym but don't care to at all anymore, if I have time to myself, that is not what I want to do. We do hike together, 2 hrs is my min goal per wek but when the weather is decent we can easily do 10+ hrs a week, we like biking together as well, playing chase and frisbee - doing bodyweight exercises like sqats, pushups etc. I have slacked a bit this winter as well, weather has been nasty eating more sugar/carbs than is good for me but as the weather warms we are getting outside more and more and increasing our activity all around. My bf is around 22-23 right now, not super low, I would like to get back down to 20% but honestly don't want to be any lower than that.

I eat grain-gluten/dairy/soy free and try to avoid sugar unless honey and then try to keep that to a very minimal. HIgh fat, mod protein and low carb. I feel the best all around eating this way. I stop eating when I no longer feel hungry. I only drink water or occasionally herbal tea. I don't go hungry period, I eat pretty fair sized portions. Snacks are things like nuts, veggies and sometimes fruit- although I feel best on just berries. I am generally an active person though, although w/ everything that needs to be done it is hard not to be.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#92 of 117 Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

That's what I've done a few times in my life. It's not working this time. The more I exercise, the more everything aches (and it's not from overdoing, either - I've been trying to ease back in gently). Exercise used to be a joy. It's not, anymore. It just sucks. After a few weeks, I get discouraged, and stop...and then the aches get a bit better. *sigh*

I'm curious what all is going on for you -- what sorts of exercising you are doing, if you are doing it correctly, and if you are stretching appropriately. I'm a yoga teacher and really not into other forms of exercise anymore (except for walking and hiking) but I know that if you do yoga poses incorrectly, you can hurt yourself. You can hurt your knees, your ankles, your back. Alignment is very important.

I think that this is true in all forms of exercise. If you bike a lot and your bike isn't adjusted right, you hurt yourself. If you run and your don't have great shoes and fit you well and have appropriate support, you hurt yourself.  I'm wondering if you took whatever it is that really apeals to you (weights or pilates or bike riding or whatever) and worked one on one with a really wonderful teacher/trainer, if you could learn something about your body/alignment/whatever that would be helpful.  Something must be off.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#93 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 AM

I have 3 children (ages 9,6,3) and have learned a lot about natural thin-ness from observing them.  My 9-yo is naturally heavy...has been since she was a baby.  Starting with breastfeeding, she was the baby who NEVER turned down an offer to nurse.  She always loved to nurse. and as she got older she never turned down food.  She was a very placid baby and is a very placid child.  She was happy as a baby to sit and watch the world go by.   As an older child, by herself she loves to read, draw and sometimes slowly scooter around outside.  She'll ride bikes or play sports with friends, but her general nature is to not hurry, to take things slowly.  She's happy to spend long periods of time sitting or lying down and reading or drawing or just playing.  As a 2-yo, she would happily sit on our laps for an entire 1 hour of Mass and then another hour of a bible/study afterwards.   And, she is (and was as a baby) on the heavier side.

My 6 yo and 3 yo are naturally thin.  And, I notice a HUGE difference in their temperments.  As babies, they were more active and crawled/walked/ just moved more.   The only wanted to nurse when they were hungry and refused if they weren't.  They are both fussy eaters...they aren't picky necessarily in that they eat a wide variety, but they are fussy.  They don't like to eat that much, tend to eat small amounts. I can tell, they don't like the feeling of being overly ful, so they stop eating before then. They have days where they seem to live on air and not much else.   And, they are more naturally active.  By themselves, on their own, they spend more time running/jumping/moving  They don't do well with sitting down for long periods of time and neither one of them could even really sit through 1-hour of Mass as a 2-yo.

Anyway, I guess what I have observed is that my thin children naturally are more active, they just naturally move more and they just seem to "like" eating less.  They like to eat when they are hungry, but they won't eat if they aren't hungry and they seem much more sensitive to feelings of fullness then my heavier child is.

I know they are just kids, but I definitely see a difference.  And, it seems to go along with what I have observed with adults.

I've found that naturally thin adults tend to just naturally eat less, they think about food less, they are more sensitive to feelings of fullness and they tend to naturally move more.   I don't mean they necessarily work-out more..just that they move more.  They spend more time standing up, they are more 'restless", they "fidget" more, they "pace" more, etc.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#94 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 AM

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

Thought this article was interesting, and relevant to the conversation.  I think weight is way more complicated than most people think.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#95 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

Thought this article was interesting, and relevant to the conversation.  I think weight is way more complicated than most people think.

Very timely.  This weekend I saw an aquaintance of mine.  She recently lost 60 pounds.  When I asked her how she lost the weight she said she joined a gym and exercised vigorously and regularly for 3 months and lost....4 pounds.  Then she read the above article.  She quit the gym, got a calorie counting app for her iphone and lost 60 pounds in under a year.  She said the main thing wasn't changing what she ate (she was already eating pretty healthy) but changing how much she ate.  Interesting.

lather, rinse, repeat
#96 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh OP, please do not be so hard on yourself.  I know it is tough.  I do the same when I gain a few.  WHOA!  3 mile run!  You are my hero!  clap.gif

I think a ton of women just seriously do not eat, maybe drink their dinners, KWIM?  A little wine goes a long way in the "I am not hungry" category. 

How wonderful for you to be in Sweden!  I am Swed/Irish/Norwegian and know that we of that heritage are super sensitive.  Your diet sounds great though, good job. 

One thing that changed a ton for my eating habits was to fill up on greens before eating your meats, fish, etc.  That is why the portion sizes are so darn small.  We are to fill up before we eat our protein. 

I do not FB at all, never have.  I find it is really like reading a magazine with all these people doing this and that, wearing this and that.  I get in my head way too much in that way.  We do not watch TV for many reasons, but that is one for me.  I get SUPER depressed when watching TV or movies.  Most of those folks are not healthy, toxic.  At least you are eating correctly.  That is commendable. 

Good luck to you.  You are seriously on the right track. 

'09   
#97 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

That's interesting, but I would hazard a guess that there is a psychological impact from exercise, namely, "I just worked out for an hour so it's safe for me to have that XYZ piece of food."  Exercise may stimulate hunger but I have never noticed that, personally.  But I have found myself thinking.... "oh, it's ok for me to eat these cookies because I'm working out every day."

Ideally a person should remain active (not necessarily "exercising") -- which has health benefits in and of itself-- plus eating not too much.

Since my last post in this thread I have learned that my mum, who has been overweight/ obese all her adult life, has been diagnosed with breast cancer in her 60s.  She has estrogen fed tumors which are linked to obesity.  My dad, also overweight, is gradually losing his mobility, the more he gains, to various back and joint problems for which he'll need surgeries.  While I might have been laid back about weight before, I'm not anymore.  I've started exercising and am being as careful as I can about my food intake, even though for whatever reason, I have escaped my family's weight issues. 

#98 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't struggle too much with weight but I do have a tendency to eat certain foods compulsively.  "The End of Overeating" book, which outlines how the food industry is deliberately putting chemicals in food to mess with brain chemistry and our barometers of satiation, really struck a chord with me.  Last month I gave up sugar because I wasn't able to eat desserts and sweets moderately or responsibly.  When my DC was struggling some respiratory issues at the same time, we as a family gave up dairy as well (we still eat meat).  I have lost ten pounds since that time, with no dieting whatsoever.  I have replaced the fats in desserts and dairy with fats in nuts and avocados. I do not monitor my caloric intake at all, but I try to eat nutrient rich food.

#99 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post

Since my last post in this thread I have learned that my mum, who has been overweight/ obese all her adult life, has been diagnosed with breast cancer in her 60s.  She has estrogen fed tumors which are linked to obesity.  My dad, also overweight, is gradually losing his mobility, the more he gains, to various back and joint problems for which he'll need surgeries.  While I might have been laid back about weight before, I'm not anymore.  I've started exercising and am being as careful as I can about my food intake, even though for whatever reason, I have escaped my family's weight issues. 

I am sorry to hear of your families health.  Good for you for breaking the cycle!  I am right there with you!

'09   
#100 of 117 Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1 View Post

I don't struggle too much with weight but I do have a tendency to eat certain foods compulsively.

Me too-- I have 2 or 3 food that I will eat compulsively so I can't even have them in the house.  So if everyone else feels about "most" food how I feel about those few foods, it is no wonder that people cannot control their weight.  I truly cannot control myself when those foods are around and will eat them until they are gone, even if it makes me feel terribly sick!  confused.gif 

Thanks Xantho, I am worried too about my sister who is overweight and a compulsive eater. 

#101 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Alden View Post

Very timely.  This weekend I saw an aquaintance of mine.  She recently lost 60 pounds.  When I asked her how she lost the weight she said she joined a gym and exercised vigorously and regularly for 3 months and lost....4 pounds.  Then she read the above article.  She quit the gym, got a calorie counting app for her iphone and lost 60 pounds in under a year.  She said the main thing wasn't changing what she ate (she was already eating pretty healthy) but changing how much she ate.  Interesting.

Wow, that is really interesting.  I have been coming to the same conclusion for a while now.  I can exercise a lot, but never, ever lose weight from working out.   Diet is everything for me.  Every bite matters.  But I do love exercise all the same -- I feel better emotionally when I am getting to the gym regularly.  It also keeps me busy and out of the kitchen in the evenings.  I tend to go at night when dh has the kids and it is a huge mental boost for me to walk away from mom duties and be with other adults, other adults who are not eating or drinking.  

But really, diet is what matters for me.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#102 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 AM

What you eat determines what you'll weigh, what you do determines how you'll look at that weight.

Is something I've read.

Juvysen likes this.
#103 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM

I live in Europe, too, OP...and people here are NOT shy about exposing their flesh. Believe me. I have seen all types of "real" bodies...from babies up to senior citizens. Everone wears a bikini in the summer, no matter what age or type...even the men...speedo country! Lol i would say people here have a much healthier attitude to real bodies and nudity etc...at least healthier than anything i experienced growing up in CA.

At any public swimming area, one will see all kinds of variety. Bird legs, wide hips, flat chests, big knockers, cottage cheese thighs, hairy backs, tree trunk legs, stretch marks, sagging things, chubby bellies, varicose veins, hairy moles, defined muscles, atrophied muscles, wrinkly skin, short and stocky, tall and boney, media perfect...you name it. These are to me "REAL bodies"...in bikinis. Haha what you are unlikely to see here is morbid obesity. It is here, but it is still the exception (for now...probably not for long). And i don't mean only at swimming areas. There is a big difference between aspiring to media propagated beauty and just plain wanting to look and feel healthy. Morbid obesity isn't healthy by any scientific or dietary perspective. And although one might be genetically predisposed to something, one can override that to a large extent through lifestyle and good choices.

OP, it sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing! Fantastic. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. treehugger.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#104 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM

I've read that how your body looks is 10% genetics, 10% exercise and 80% diet.  Most Americans just eat too much, and too much of the wrong things.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#105 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

These are to me "REAL bodies"...in bikinis. Haha what you are unlikely to see here is morbid obesity. It is here, but it is still the exception (for now...probably not for long). And i don't mean only at swimming areas. There is a big difference between aspiring to media propagated beauty and just plain wanting to look and feel healthy. Morbid obesity isn't healthy by any scientific or dietary perspective. And although one might be genetically predisposed to something, one can override that to a large extent through lifestyle and good choices.

Yes, this. Such a great point to keep in mind. I wish America could be more like Europe in this regard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Wow, that is really interesting.  I have been coming to the same conclusion for a while now.  I can exercise a lot, but never, ever lose weight from working out.   Diet is everything for me.  Every bite matters.  But I do love exercise all the same -- I feel better emotionally when I am getting to the gym regularly.  It also keeps me busy and out of the kitchen in the evenings.  I tend to go at night when dh has the kids and it is a huge mental boost for me to walk away from mom duties and be with other adults, other adults who are not eating or drinking.  

But really, diet is what matters for me.  

I think it's good to love exercise! After a close reading of the article, here's what I got from it:

• Exercise has a lot of benefits, but weight loss may not always be one of them.
  • A pattern of sedentary lifestyle punctuated by short, intense bursts of exercise is counter-productive.
  • Regular, less intense exercise (more like the kind of thing we humans throughout our evolutionary history) is more beneficial because it's less likely to trigger the urge for a high calorie "reward" snack.

So many of us spend way too much time in our cars, in front of computer screens, and on our couches. Exercise used to happen naturally in the flow of life. Work, leisure, and just plain getting from here to there required us to move our bodies. Now we can go for long periods of time without moving much at all.

I have found in my own life that the more car-dependent I am, the heavier I am. When I started commuting via bus, I lost weight. Ditto when I started commuting by bicycle. For me, daily exercise throughout the day makes a big, big difference.

On the other hand, when I was in my 20s, I commuted everywhere by bike, worked as a dance teacher/choreographer/performer, and was exercising a lot. And I couldn't lose weight. I was a vegetarian at the time and I ate a lot, especially sweets, I think because I wasn't getting enough protein. So, my experience does tend to support the argument that exercise alone isn't a magic bullet.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#106 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM

When I'm not pregnant, I maintain a healthy weight that some people would call thin (size 4ish, ~120 lbs at 5'4). When I exercised vigorously 6x a week (mostly cardio), I weighed `~100 lbs. DH eats the same *kinds* of foods that I do (albeit in drastically different portions), and would probably be called obese. He also works a more physical job than I do.

The differences?

- I grew up in a household where everyone cared about nutrition. There was always a newspaper article about some aspect of nutrition taped to the fridge. I don't agree with everything I was taught by those articles, but it does mean that I think about everything I put into my body and how it's going to impact the workings of my body.

- At dinner time I fill half my plate with veggies. I don't go back for seconds of carbs or meat, if we're eating meat. We set our plates up differently from the outset.

- I don't eat after dinner. If I feel low blood sugary before bed, I might consider a glass of milk or a piece of fruit or some leftover salad. DH eats granola bars, leftover carbs or meat from dinner, a second plate of dinner, or ice cream.

- I don't skip meals. DH often misses breakfast and lunch, comes home and eats four sandwiches with meat and mayo and cheese, then has dinner with me, then gets hungry and eats another meal sized portion before bed.

- I don't see bread or crackers or bagels or muffins as a snack, and I don't eat bread without lean protein and veggies. I might have toast and egg and fruit or veg for breakfast, but I would not have bread and butter as a snack. Muffins are nice, but if I'm going to eat a whole bunch of white flour and sugar, I'd really rather just have a cookie or a doughnut.

- I don't drink anything but water, and very occasionally milk. When I drink a glass of milk, it's less than 250 mL/1 cup. DH drinks juice by the litre. I see this as a symptom of the larger problem about not thinking about everything that goes into his body.

- I am usually enrolled in some kind of fitness related class. This has been aquafit, ballet, yoga, hiking, running. It's always once a week, and so I get 1 hour of vigorous exercise (ok, excluding yoga) once a week. It encourages me to be more active in the rest of my time. DH drinks beer and plays video games in his off time, punctuated by a hike every couple of weeks.

- I let myself eat the "bad" foods I love, in moderation. Chocolate cake, gelato in the summer, yam fries and aioli, brie and baguette, tempura avocado. If there's a food I like, but isn't a favourite, and I know will do nothing good for my health, I skip it (ie. vanilla ice cream, non-yam-fries, cream sauces, potato chips - delicious, but not worth it to me).

- If we're going to eat out, I prefer Indian or Ethiopian restaurants where I order non-cream-based vegetarian curries, or pho or sushi places. DH prefers pizza, pasta, and burgers. When we do end up going to those pizza,  pasta, and burger places, I hardly ever order pizza, pasta, or a burger.

I don't think this is obsessive, and I do it largely to prevent disease in later life and to feel good now. I am very worried about DH, but it's his body and his choice.

#107 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#108 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM

This is a really helpful thread. thumb.gif  Lots to think about. 

Maybe we could say Eat food, not too much, mostly plants, and keep moving.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#109 of 117 Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

This is a really helpful thread. thumb.gif  Lots to think about. 

Maybe we could say Eat food, not too much, mostly plants, and keep moving.

Sort of like a mash-up between Michael Pollan and Richard Simmons?
Juvysen and imogenlily like this.
#110 of 117 Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Sort of like a mash-up between Michael Pollan and Richard Simmons?

lol.gif  thumb.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#111 of 117 Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM

I only read the first page of posts but one thing I noticed was a lot of mamas saying they are thinner when they are happier and heavier when they are angry, down, depressed.... I kind of see the same perspective on the flip. Recently I noticed that my husband and I are lazy, more irritable and down on life when we are eating too much. It's like the food weighs us down and the need for so much digestion put a strain on our bodies along with throwing the chemicals off in our bodies. What I have been doing lately is when I feel this way I will fast. Sometimes for a day, sometimes a meal or two, or one meal 2 or 3x a week. It feels sort of like I am regaining control over my body. I have to be really careful because Iam one of those people who get really crabby when they need to eat or sleep! But it doesn't take long before I have more energy, motivation, am thinner and just feel better in general. I will say though that if I don't take vitamins I start to feel like crap. Also have been realizing I felt a lot better while fasting when I was drinking a nutricious tea, like honey bush or rooibos.

#112 of 117 Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM

i agree with @chicasmama. I was 180 pounds when my soldier left for basic training. He left for Korea shortly after that and by the time the first year in Korea was over, I had lost 48 pounds by doing ALL THE THINGS you have listed. I gave up soda/sweetend drinks, creamer, sweets, and any and all junk food, except for holidays. I never cooked fried anything and if we got fast food, i always ordered a kids meal.  It was easy then since I didn't have a husband at home and the kids were small. One box of mac n cheese and we had leftovers.  I also worked M-F and walked my kids home from school everyday 2miles) I was aware of my body - no slouching! LOL you'd be surprised how much energy can be used simply by standing/sitting up straight. I have now been through a combat deployment and gained it all back plus some. I am working to implement all the things I did before, into my new life/routine. 

I am back in the same area i was in when i was so much slimmer and some people have asked why i gained so much weight? well, its my own fault. My neighbor and i loved TV and junk. when the kids were off to school, it was DVR and biscuits and gravy. Then off to taco bell or Mcdonalds for lunch. then we'd have a snack with the kids. Then it was dinnertime. Then after the kids were in bed it was more DVR and baked goods or candy. TOTALLY killed my figure and I have had to trim my wardrobe down to only a few outfits. I'll be Damned if I can't get my slimmer self back, now that my soldier is home.  I want to have fun with my kids at the beach and don't want to feel self concious about my body. I was a 36-24-36 in 2009. I plan to be a 36-24-36 by Mother's Day next year. i have a great figure! its just hidden under all the garbage i ate! :-D 

MrsKoehn likes this.
#113 of 117 Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I am thin and have always been thin. My mom has always struggled with being overweight. My dh is overweight/obese. I became vegan for ethical/ecological reasons in 1997 and subsequently became anemic. That woke me up to the importance of nutrition. I have since been diagnosed with celiac disease, so I have to be even more careful about what I eat in order for my body to get what it needs. Food for me is truly about nutrition. My dh loves to cook and he says that I take the joy out of food. It's true, food is not usually an enjoyment for me - it's a function.

So, diet restrictions are what makes me thin without working at it. But, apparently, I'm missing out on a lot of joy :)

#114 of 117 Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Resurrecting an old thread? I have been on both sides of it. I am 5' tall and have ranged in my adult life from 82 lbs to 143. That means I've been a 0-14 in size. For me, when I got to be too much of a book worm and stayed inside a lot as an older teen, I packed on the pounds and wasn't eating well. I went to college and eating was worse plus I was running myself ragged with all I was trying to juggle. Then something happened that STRESSED me out for a long period of time. I ended up with Crohn's because of it. Then the weight fell off. I couldn't keep it on and just got sicker and sicker and sicker. I switched to all organics and supplemented like crazy. It would work for a while, but then something would stress me out again and I would go all over again. Losing more weight every time. ARG! I found it was as hard to gain as to lose. I never believed it when I heard super thin friends say that. But thinking back, they ate like horses, just metabolized.

My sister is naturally thin. So is one of my brothers. They can eat as little or (usually) as much as they want and never gain a pound. That used to bother me.

From being so thin and consequently malnourished, I was unable to even attempt to conceive until this past summer. This spring we finally got it to take. I'm 17 weeks, due in Nov. I have lost 9 lbs since conception and I cannot get it back on. It's frustrating. I know of a lady whose children I grew up with who was thin, but ended up 72 lbs at the BIRTH of her perfect size, healthy son. WOW.

But ya. Healthy eating and moderate exercise I think will help gain or lose. It's just tough work either way. Now to convince hubby to lay off the sugar and carbs.....  :)

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#115 of 117 Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Everyone I know is so tremendously thin.  

That is only normal that some people are bigger, while others are smaller, so no worries there!

Their Facebook pages are plastered with the most amazing pictures of themselves in teeny tiny bikinis.  They look fabulous!  They seem happy...

I got the feeling that you believe that your happiness depends on how thin or fat you are. Which is totally wrong. It does not really matter. You can be the fattest person in the world, but happy.

I see lots of nice marriages, good parents, friendly, happy kids.  And flat bellies and beautiful legs.

I know lots of large people who are happily married.

How do other women control their appetite?  

Often, it is not about controlling your appetite. Their bodies simply work in different ways. One person may eat one loaf of bread and gain half a pound, while another will not gain any weight.

I can read the diet plans, but really...who can follow them?!?  3 oz of salmon, 1/2 C of brown rice and a nice salad.  You have got to be kidding me!  I can eat that and then sit down to a meal.  My appetite is huge!  

Keep in mind that not everyone is telling you all the truth. There are some people out there who may claim that it is all about their diet, but they don't tell you that in addition to their diet, they are using weight loss pillls. So, I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

I am not jealous.  I am not angry at myself.  I do not have a negative self image.  I am strong and happy.  I run and exercise and eat decently.  I just want to know how so many women are able to stay so very, very slim. 

Don't be angry at your self. There are more important things to worry about.

And yes, I know what a lot of you might say -- that I don't know what women are going through to keep weight off -- they may be bingeing and purging, they may be battling eating disorders.  I just don't see it.   I see healthy women, living active lives who all seems to be sporting size 2 jeans.  I have seen eating disorders before and I don't see the signs in any of my friends.  

Help me out here.  My big pants are starting to taunt me.

Don't stress yourself too much about your shape. It is all gonna be alright, believe me.

#116 of 117 Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Everyone I know is so tremendously thin.  

That is only normal that some people are bigger, while others are smaller, so no worries there!

Their Facebook pages are plastered with the most amazing pictures of themselves in teeny tiny bikinis.  They look fabulous!  They seem happy...

I got the feeling that you believe that your happiness depends on how thin or fat you are. Which is totally wrong. It does not really matter. You can be the fattest person in the world, but happy.

I see lots of nice marriages, good parents, friendly, happy kids.  And flat bellies and beautiful legs.

I know lots of large people who are happily married.

How do other women control their appetite?  

Often, it is not about controlling your appetite. Their bodies simply work in different ways. One person may eat one loaf of bread and gain half a pound, while another will not gain any weight.

I can read the diet plans, but really...who can follow them?!?  3 oz of salmon, 1/2 C of brown rice and a nice salad.  You have got to be kidding me!  I can eat that and then sit down to a meal.  My appetite is huge!  

Keep in mind that not everyone is telling you all the truth. There are some people out there who may claim that it is all about their diet, but they don't tell you that in addition to their diet, they are using weight loss pillls. So, I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

I am not jealous.  I am not angry at myself.  I do not have a negative self image.  I am strong and happy.  I run and exercise and eat decently.  I just want to know how so many women are able to stay so very, very slim. 

Don't be angry at your self. There are more important things to worry about.

And yes, I know what a lot of you might say -- that I don't know what women are going through to keep weight off -- they may be bingeing and purging, they may be battling eating disorders.  I just don't see it.   I see healthy women, living active lives who all seems to be sporting size 2 jeans.  I have seen eating disorders before and I don't see the signs in any of my friends.  

Help me out here.  My big pants are starting to taunt me.

Don't stress yourself too much about your shape. It is all gonna be alright, believe me.

#117 of 117 Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Look into Volumetics. It's a way of eating lots of healthy food, but not lots of calories.

BeFit-Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page