Witchy Weight Loss and Support:, Imbolc to Beltane: Spring is coming! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
 
Aubergine68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the soul's garden
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Welcome to the Imbolc to Ostara edition of the Witchy Weight Loss thread, for anyone who wants to bring an earth-centered/holistic/pagan spirituality to the issue of weight loss and health through better choices in diet and exercise. 


Who am I? I'm a mom of 3 children, school and preschool age, in my early 40s. I run a home daycare, homeschool my oldest, I'm a student, and have a busy family. The home daycare/homeschooling is actually going to work for me because I can build (mild) exercise into my day with the kids.

Goals? I am still trying to lose my baby weight from #3, although he is almost kindy age! I want to no longer be officially overweight, to be healthy and fit and to support my kids and my dh, who was just dx'd with Type 2 Diabetes in being healthy and fit. I want to buy a pretty sundress and feel good about wearing it! I want to have fun, to dance again. 

I was about 196 pounds at my highest, about 183 last June, 181 when I got serious about exercise in August, and 175.5 at Mabon, and after putting everything on hold to deal with some health issues and surgery, 171.6 now. 159 pounds will put me at a bmi that is no longer officially overwieght for my height, and I think 145 will be an appropriate final target weight, but I am open to being happier at a higher weight if I am fit and strong at that weight. So, nearly 30 pounds pounds down, about 20 -25 to go.

How I'm going to get there? Currently doing the 100 pushup challenge - osteoporosis runs in my family and building upper  body strength is a big priority. Using my exercise bicycle and cycling with my children when the weather gets better. I want to be swimming with my family once a week again, snow-shoveling, eating a low carb - high veg,  no processed food, gf diet, weighing every day, not eating in the evening.I am going to try growing sprouts and salad greens indoors to supplement my diet and ease the $ cost of all this fresh food in the winter. I am tracking my diet and will post a food diary here if I feel I'm stalling in the weight loss. 

Aubergine68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maia -  This looks to be the closest to the one I had prepared from a special on PBS.  It has sugar in it, but I don't remember using any sugar so just drop it and go easy on the soy sauces if you are concerned about sodium.

 

Bonus - apparently its a popular dish for the chinese new year!  I'm tempted to go before the stores close today and pick up a head of napa cabbage and make this tonight - just subbing ground beef for the pork.mmmm


treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#3 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
 
femme_rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: exploring my heart
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh my...I just wrote out a long post with all my stats and lost it...Ahh!!!

 

ktg-That recipe looks super yummy!

 

Well, I'll try to recap:

 

I'm a mama of 2 sweet, fun kidlets (almost 5 and almost 7).  Food and weight have been a big part of my defenses since I was a small child.  I've done a lot of processing and dealing with this for years, and now, find myself in a loving, compassionate relationship with myself at any size. love.gif  This last summer I felt ready to "do something" to release and shed the weight I no longer need.  I decided to try homeopathic HGC since some wise mamas I trusted were doing it.

 

Since 9/23/10 I've lost:

 

52 lbs

5 1/4 in from Bust

9 in from Waist

9 in from Hips

My BMI has gone from: 34.4 to 25.5  *I'm 4.8 lbs from the normal range!

 

Wishing all you beautiful, strong women health in mind, body and spirit during this season.  Happy Imbolc!

GoldBerry likes this.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
femme_rouge is offline  
#4 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FR, you are amazing, lady! that is splendid! squeee!!

 

yay fun recipes! i wouldnt imagine needing sugar-- napa cabbage is sweet on its own! i'm probably making orange peel chicken for the 3rd. (i have a recipe, if anyone wants it.... my boys lurve "spicy chicken")

 

i've lost a few pounds and an inch or so, but mainly my progress the past thread/chunk of time was in healing my belly/digestion/gut. i wont ick you out with details, but that area is going SO much better. ;-)

 

in fact, i'm getting to the place where i might start looking into something to really get some of this weight off. 

 

i've been using my belly oils, to detox and firm. i havent been using my FEs-- as i've been focusing on other areas with them. :-) much wonderful healing, though, huzzah!

 

i've been doing so much better with food/cooking/etc....

 

i do need to get back to the pool....... as soon as it warms up a bit! hopefully by the end of this week. 

 

so....... i think i'm up for something else. something new................... open to inspiration/suggestions......... the one remaining thing that was on my TM that i havent done is trampoline. maybe i should look into that?

aweynsayl is offline  
#5 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
 
femme_rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: exploring my heart
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks Aweyn loveeyes.gif  You're amazing too!


dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
femme_rouge is offline  
#6 of 71 Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
 
spughy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well I feel privileged to be on a weight-loss/body-happiness journey with ALL you amazing women!

 

I'm Sarah, 38, one kiddo who's 5, and my starting weight was 170-something, 42% body fat.  I'm now at about 135lbs and 29% body fat.  I have about 8 lbs to lose to get me into healthy BMI range and my goal is 22% body fat.  But, DH and I are also TTC so if we get lucky there, the fat loss will stop rather abruptly!  I eat a mostly paleo diet (no starch, no sugar is the easy way to explain that) and while I've been off dairy for the past month I'm going to be less strict about it now (but still eat less of it than I did previously).

 

My current challenge is to cut my coffee consumption back to 1 cup a week, enjoyed on a Sunday morning - but I have to get up before the rest of the family and have it in absolute peace and quiet in order to fully enjoy it. :) 


Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

spughy is offline  
#7 of 71 Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM
 
Valerie.Qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: in my own pants
Posts: 2,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

just subbing...

 

I'll get there one day.


Valérie   
Valerie.Qc is offline  
#8 of 71 Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok, so i had decided that i would give trampoline/rebounding a try, simply because i'd stuck it on my TM. so i started looking it up online, just for kicks, and because it's freaking freezing here and because ds is still sleeping, and i dont know what to do with myself, lol..... and omgs. i think this is my answer! i've been doing the skin oil for detoxing cellulite, and really feeling like that, and lymph movement is key for me..... so, guess what trampoline is supposed to be great for? yeah, of course! i mean, i knew it was linked to detox, because i knew i wasnt supposed to do it til ds stopped nursing, but oh, i've got this feeling........... and, of course i decided it on the new moon. humph. i wanna go get one now!!!!!! squeeee! biggrinbounce.gif

aweynsayl is offline  
#9 of 71 Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who am I? I'm Kate, a WOHM with 2 boys and a wonderful DH who is turning his life around with better eating habits and exercise.

Goals? Starting at 213 as of 06/2010, I am looking to lose 40 lbs and get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 180. I've lost 13 and I have 20 more to go! I am now signed up for a work challenge of exercise & weight loss.  I think this is the jump start I am needing to get back into the groove since I'm a rather competitve person winky.gif

 

How are you going to get there?

So I have promised everything in the book, more exercise, etc. I am just not doing it though. My goals by Ostara:

  • Get a solid night of sleep
  • Walk for 60 minutes a day (this will help when I want to walk to work in the mornings!)
  • Do meditation for 30 minutes a day
  • Remind myself that I am fabulous no matter my shape and love me for me.
  • Take my thyroid meds consistently, along with vit d, selenium & magnesium.
  • Eat healthy and lose the sugar from my diet - and I'm tracking my calories to stay on track!


 

Measurements
Black is 08/03/2010
Purple is as of 09/23/2010

Orange is as of 11/14/2010

Green is as of 02/03/2011
Height 5'10"
Weight :203 -> 197->199 -> 200

Upper arms 13" ->12.25"->12.5" ->13
Lower arm 10" -> 9.5" ->N/A ->10
Chest (above the bust): 39" ->N/A ->N/A -> 37.5
Under bust 38", ->N/A ->36" -> 37.5
Bust: 41" -> 40"->40" ->40

Waist, relaxed, 41" -> 39" ->38" ->42
Hips, around fattest part of butt 45" -> 43" ->44" ->42
Upper thigh 24" -> 23" ->23" ->23
Calf, fattest part 16" -> 16" ->16" ->16

Not too much change which is nice given the holiday/feasting season!  Now to jump start this weight loss and healthy living once again :D
 

GoldBerry likes this.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#10 of 71 Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i went swimming today! i went swimming today! i went..... ok, you get it. ;-)

 

it was soooo windy, i wished i could stay totally under water, lol, but i DID it. that's the hardest thing-- getting BACK in the habit, once so loved, that had been so utterly broken! 

 

now, to find a trampoline.................

 

aweynsayl is offline  
#11 of 71 Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

still no trampoline, but i have started a new exercise regime. it's led by my son (4, almost 5), and involves various forms of sword play and lightsaber training. fencing.gif

 

 

anyone else getting rather... foodily disgruntled? happens to me every year around this time. really craving something new and different, but cant think what! any ideas?

 

hope all are doing well! 

aweynsayl is offline  
#12 of 71 Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Indigo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southeastern CT
Posts: 2,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Subbin' before I forget to... again.


My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

 
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Indigo73 is offline  
#13 of 71 Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Aubergine68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the soul's garden
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello!  Repeating week  six of the pushup challenge  (ow my arms). But I WILL make it to 100!

 

I need to start posting my food, being accountable. And I need a week sugar-free, at least - I have stevia in my cupboard for my tea - there is really no excuse.

 

So here is what I ate today:

 

 3 cups of tea with milk - about a quarter cup each.  probably a tbsp of sugar in the first cup (insert bag over the head smiley)

10 raw cashews

! grapefruit blended with water and two tsp coconut oil

Veg stirfry with bok choy, napa cabbage, green onion and chopped sweet pepper, two Thai seasoned chicken strips

6  cheddar flavored rice chips

Three cups white tea with raspberry flavor, stevia

1 chopped red plum, 2/3 chopped pear, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/3 c milk, 1 cheese string (gosh, not having tea with milk and sugar during my break 

 leaves me hungry for actual food!)

1 cup homemade refried beans (mmmmm), 1 oz grated cheddar, 2/3 cups salsa, 1 corn tostada shell, 1 chopped jalapeno

Aubergine68 is offline  
#14 of 71 Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what's everyone up to? why is this thread so slow?? 

 

havent got a tramp yet, but have been swimming. i need a new swimsuit desperately, because mine is getting to that gonna-fall-off stage! partly because it's so worn, and partly because i've been going down a couple inches at the hip and waist. 

 

although, i have realized that swimming is more my melusina moment than actual exercise. very very worth it. :-)

 

now, who wants to hear WHY i've been going down inches? hmmm? diet? nope. exercise? nope. wait for it... cell salts. yeah. i've been taking silica cell salt constitutionally, and one of the things it does is firm things. welllll, it's been "firming" my belly. astounding. no idea how "much" it will do, but wow. 

 

eating hasnt been going too well... i've been using up stuff, vs. making splendid things. thank goodness i have my belly tea (chamomile, calendula, fennel seed, peppermint), because i do not love digesting pasta two days in a row. <shudder> but with that tea, it's fine. 

 

my goal is to get a trampoline before aries new moon. should give even slow-to-decide me enough time!

 

hope everyone's doing well!

aweynsayl is offline  
#15 of 71 Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
 
spughy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still here... stuck weight-wise, but otherwise everything's ok.  I've been a little low-energy this week, haven't felt as strong or as into working out.  Yesterday I spent the day tromping all over Vancouver with my mom, which was fun, and I bought myself some Vibram 5-finger shoes and they are AWESOME.  It's like getting away with wearing slippers everywhere.  I am very tired now though and I wonder what my leg muscles will feel like tomorrow morning... 

 

Just realized I have less than 5 lbs to lose, to get me to "not overweight".  Wow.  And it's made me suddenly impatient.  I want to lose those 5 lbs NOW!!! But, as I get closer to a healthy, sustainable weight, the excess is coming off more and more slowly.  I should be ok with that.


Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

spughy is offline  
#16 of 71 Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Valerie.Qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: in my own pants
Posts: 2,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still doing a Gluten-free diet, taking Cell Salts and Flower Essences. I weighted this morning and I'm 2 pounds lighter than before! Yay! Movement! I've been told that when gluten is interferring with thyroid, it can take up to 6 weeks to see results... I'm on week 4 (I think). I'll keep going! thumb.gif

 

Yoga tonight. namaste.gif


Valérie   
Valerie.Qc is offline  
#17 of 71 Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ohhh, that's awesome! i am intrigued by the thyroid/gluten link. dont know that i'd heard that. fascinating stuff.

 

i now have two new swimsuits that FIT. ahhhhh. amazing feeling. :-)

aweynsayl is offline  
#18 of 71 Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM
 
LionessMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have read that having an intolerance and eating the foods you are intolerant too leads to thyroid dysfunction.

 

 i am loving this weight loss! a total of 23 lbs down! my pants are falling down and my rings are slipping off. when i walk down the hall i dont feel heavy. i dont feel like i am thudding or bouncing in my hip sockets. i feel lighter and it feels easier to move. i have been doing body flow, yoga and swimming. but not consistently. maybe once a week. i have been making sure to do housework everyday. i cut out dairy and HFCS. i havent been successful at cutting out anything else. but i have to be on a fructose free diet bc i am intolerant. i have more energy too. so i am 150 lbs. i weighed more than that when DH and I met. i weighed 135 when i was 25. i would love to get back to that. so 15 more lbs. but i would still be completely happy with where i am now if i cant lose anymore. i am so surprised that i lost what i did. i bet i can lose more. especially if i start taking the kids swimming again. it is almost warm enough to justify them having wet hair when we leave the y. they have been asking. but it is still only 25 out most times. oooh and walks. i can start that real soon. i made a boot for my stroller. it is fleece on one side and cotton on the other. with elastic and ties and all that. would def keep her plenty warm if it was a slightly chilly day. and it costs no money to go for walks. i am so getting excited for spring!!


Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
LionessMom is offline  
#19 of 71 Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM
 
GoldBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: where my heart is free
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wave.gif  Hello all! Geez, it has been a long time since I have been on MDC, but when I came to search for something today (I still often use this site as a reference book of sorts) and I saw this great thread I just had to post!

 

I'm a 40 year old mama of three- 10, 6 and 6 months. About two years ago, I realized that my weight was creeping steadily up and I had to do something about it. I started running/ walking three times a week and it made an incredible difference. I didn't loose a bunch of weight but I slimmed down and it was also a huge stress reliever. When I got pregnant last year (Surprise!), I was feeling really good about my body. The pregnancy went well and our sweet baby daughter is wonderful! I began exercising a month after she was born and eventually began running again. This January I got fed up with the extra weight, so I began counting my calories (using My Plate at LiveStrong,com) and that has helped a lot! I've lost about 10 pounds and I have five more to go. Jean shopping yesterday was actually fun!

 

Right now I exercise about 45 minuets 5 days a week. I usually do a Jillian Michaels workout while DD is napping in the morning. Love her or hate her, her work outs really kick butt. I started with the 30 Day Shred (which has three levels and the work outs are 20 minuets long) and now i prefer "Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism" or "No More Trouble Zones"- they really work! I'm not the gym type- I like to be in my living room where I can sweat and fart alone thank you very much! Sheepish.gif Once or twice a week I do a 30- 45 minuet run with the babe. Now, when I get a chance to run alone, I feel like I can fly because I am not pushing an extra 20+ pounds!

 

 My goal is to keep my daily calories around 1500. I have stopped eating rice or pasta or bread with dinner. I didn't think I could do this, but I have doubled the veggies I eat ( usually with a meat protein of some sort) and that really helps. I limit myself to one beer a week- mecry.gifbecause I love good beer, but wine has far less calories!

 

Spiritually, I know that becoming more physically active has put me touch with my body, I love the way it feels when I am really sweaty and my body is just vibrating with energy! Running, especially when I get the chance to do a trail run, is such an amazing way to connect with nature. I usually listen to music and sometimes the beauty of the world and the music and my physical energy come together is a glorious way!

 

I just wanted to say hi and tell you all that you are awesome! Keep up the great work!!


treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
GoldBerry is offline  
#20 of 71 Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
Aubergine68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the soul's garden
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey!  Goldberry!  Lovely to see you here!

 

Spughy!  Amazing that you are so close to your goal!

 

Cheers for new swimsuits!  I got one myself, recently - feels good.  I was off of swimming for a while because it seemed to trigger ear infections/itches.  I've been trying the trick of putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol in my ear after a swim and the problem doesn't exist anymore?

 

What is a melusina moment, aweyn?  Hooray for silica!  I've been putting my family on cell salts for the past couple of months.  My sons take ones for teeth (and just had their first cavity-free dental appnt!) , dd has been on bioplasma, which has helped her skin,  but seems to have led to an odd sulphurous BO for which I am trying silica.  I am taking calc phos for my bone graft, and the other phos's often, others occasionally.  DH bioplasma and kali mur. I'm going to keep on with these ones for a couple months, barring anything new in the way of health conditions, and then try switching us all to the bioplasma, see if the conditions remain stable.  That would be much simpler!

 

Something funny -- I've been experimenting with a pendulum as suggested in the cell salts thread for minor health questions.  As I've been building my collection of individual cell salts, for example, I'll read the descriptions of say, Ferr Phos and Mag Phos and then use the pendulum to choose which one will most benefit me in individual salts at this time. (They are all much more expensive here, so I have to budget.)

 

 I have also been reading over the FE descriptions, because I really am interested in them.  But my pendulum emphatically says nay, buy cell salts, stay away from those FEs - but I continue to use the Self-heal and Madia and am happy at the results.  I figure I'm meant to stick with these for a while, before looking at others.  I hope to experiment with making some homemade herbal tinctures this spring and summer, and if I'm doing that,FEs shouldn't be too hard to make.

 

Today is my 7th day sugar-free (not as strict as Lioness,   no  refined sugar, honey, syrup, or processed foods high in sugar).  I've always had a sweet tooth but when I went gluten-free I ate a lot more sugary foods.  I'm allowing myself stevia and the occasional diet coke bag.gifand find myself eating a lot of beans - the complex carbs really help the hungries.  I think this is helping my weight loss, although my scale is unreliable lately so I'm not sure.  The main thing is that I am feeling so much better - so much less tired! I'm sure the weight loss will come.  Glad you are enjoying that side effect, Lioness - you have such drastic changes going on in your diet.

 

 Continuing with the pushups - doing my third go at the same set, but I *am* improving.  I can feel the muscles in my shoulders and my posture is definitely improving.  (battery dying, going to post now and edit to answer posts below:

 

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Still doing a Gluten-free diet, taking Cell Salts and Flower Essences. I weighted this morning and I'm 2 pounds lighter than before! Yay! Movement! I've been told that when gluten is interferring with thyroid, it can take up to 6 weeks to see results... I'm on week 4 (I think). I'll keep going! thumb.gif

 

Yoga tonight. namaste.gif



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

ohhh, that's awesome! i am intrigued by the thyroid/gluten link. dont know that i'd heard that. fascinating stuff.

 

i now have two new swimsuits that FIT. ahhhhh. amazing feeling. :-)



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i have read that having an intolerance and eating the foods you are intolerant too leads to thyroid dysfunction.

 

 i am loving this weight loss! a total of 23 lbs down! my pants are falling down and my rings are slipping off. when i walk down the hall i dont feel heavy. i dont feel like i am thudding or bouncing in my hip sockets. i feel lighter and it feels easier to move. i have been doing body flow, yoga and swimming. but not consistently. maybe once a week. i have been making sure to do housework everyday. i cut out dairy and HFCS. i havent been successful at cutting out anything else. but i have to be on a fructose free diet bc i am intolerant. i have more energy too. so i am 150 lbs. i weighed more than that when DH and I met. i weighed 135 when i was 25. i would love to get back to that. so 15 more lbs. but i would still be completely happy with where i am now if i cant lose anymore. i am so surprised that i lost what i did. i bet i can lose more. especially if i start taking the kids swimming again. it is almost warm enough to justify them having wet hair when we leave the y. they have been asking. but it is still only 25 out most times. oooh and walks. i can start that real soon. i made a boot for my stroller. it is fleece on one side and cotton on the other. with elastic and ties and all that. would def keep her plenty warm if it was a slightly chilly day. and it costs no money to go for walks. i am so getting excited for spring!!



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBerry View Post

wave.gif  Hello all! Geez, it has been a long time since I have been on MDC, but when I came to search for something today (I still often use this site as a reference book of sorts) and I saw this great thread I just had to post!

 

I'm a 40 year old mama of three- 10, 6 and 6 months. About two years ago, I realized that my weight was creeping steadily up and I had to do something about it. I started running/ walking three times a week and it made an incredible difference. I didn't loose a bunch of weight but I slimmed down and it was also a huge stress reliever. When I got pregnant last year (Surprise!), I was feeling really good about my body. The pregnancy went well and our sweet baby daughter is wonderful! I began exercising a month after she was born and eventually began running again. This January I got fed up with the extra weight, so I began counting my calories (using My Plate at LiveStrong,com) and that has helped a lot! I've lost about 10 pounds and I have five more to go. Jean shopping yesterday was actually fun!

 

Right now I exercise about 45 minuets 5 days a week. I usually do a Jillian Michaels workout while DD is napping in the morning. Love her or hate her, her work outs really kick butt. I started with the 30 Day Shred (which has three levels and the work outs are 20 minuets long) and now i prefer "Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism" or "No More Trouble Zones"- they really work! I'm not the gym type- I like to be in my living room where I can sweat and fart alone thank you very much! Sheepish.gif Once or twice a week I do a 30- 45 minuet run with the babe. Now, when I get a chance to run alone, I feel like I can fly because I am not pushing an extra 20+ pounds!

 

 My goal is to keep my daily calories around 1500. I have stopped eating rice or pasta or bread with dinner. I didn't think I could do this, but I have doubled the veggies I eat ( usually with a meat protein of some sort) and that really helps. I limit myself to one beer a week- mecry.gifbecause I love good beer, but wine has far less calories!

 

Spiritually, I know that becoming more physically active has put me touch with my body, I love the way it feels when I am really sweaty and my body is just vibrating with energy! Running, especially when I get the chance to do a trail run, is such an amazing way to connect with nature. I usually listen to music and sometimes the beauty of the world and the music and my physical energy come together is a glorious way!

 

I just wanted to say hi and tell you all that you are awesome! Keep up the great work!!

Aubergine68 is offline  
#21 of 71 Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

melusina moment~ from "the white queen".... my time to turn back into a mermaid and have my "me" time. 

 

FEs~ far be it for me to deny anyone a FE, but intuition is so powerful with cell salts and FEs-- and i could easily imagine your body wanting to heal some more before letting you loose in the world of FEs, especially if you're going to try to find your constitutional.... have you done any reading on miasms/constitutionals/acute v chronic, etc...? i'm just starting to pick it all apart, but my own experiences in the realm the past few months really point me towards believing in the power of clearing away old clutter, so to speak..... i'm fading here, so i'm not making much sense, but-- yes! 

 

GB~ again, i am so delighted to see you! remind me to tell you where we spent 6 months last year..... 

 

ok, i must go make food! i've been doing splendidly well at making healthful meals for us all, packaging up portions for dh, so he is eating well, whatever time he happens to get to eat, and ds and i eat better too! which makes me so joyful.

 

one thing i am going to look into-- and let me know if any of you have thoughts.... i had this odd inspiration that perhaps a crockpot might be a good way for us to continue to eat healthfully once summer comes and it's too hot to "cook." toss things in in the morning while it's still coolish, let it cook away without the stove turned on, heating up the house, etc.... anyhow, i've never gotten into crock pots for fall and winter foods, because i love to stand over the pot, but in summer? hmmm.......

 

still no trampoline, either. encourage me? remind me? something...... i'm slacking in the desire to try it...........

aweynsayl is offline  
#22 of 71 Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Morning all you beautiful folks!! Catching up as work has become once again beastly... but that was to be expected.  Unfortunately losing my cool and professionalism lately has been a side effect which I am snapping back from quickly.  I am trying to practice some mindfulness exercises - i.e. I can only control my actions and words in this world, others will wash over me with no effect - in the hopes to try and disengage from my disgust with how my boss acts (lack of respect, professionalism), speaks and overall carries himself in this office.  Funny how the emotional keeps so much tied to the phyisical, as I feel lighter without this "emotional" burden of my anger/disgust.  Let's hope I can keep it up through out the day orngbiggrin.gif

 

In other news with the weightloss & activity challenge at work- that was right up my ally and I have been working out for an hour a day typically (walking on the ole treadmill, but doing hill work *ouch* and even jumping on the stair machine *double ouch!*)  and tracking how much I am eating. 

 

I am so far down 3lbs!!! and lots of my clothes feel looser on my body.  I'm hoping to keep up this progress and see how well I do next week on our mid-challenge weigh-in.  Peace.gif

 

Oh and I've even managed to get myself down to just 1 cup (yes its still a large 20oz cup) of coffee in the morning and herbal tea (me lurve tazo passion tea or wild sweet orange) in the afternoon/evening with several cups of water too. 

 

Glad to hear everyone is still doing great and welcome GoldBerry!!


treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#23 of 71 Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
 
spughy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: tea - I have a recommendation for you all - if you can find "Mighty Leaf" tea, the "Chocolate Mint Truffle" flavour is DIVINE.  So good.  It's a roiboos base, with cocoa nibs, mint leaves, some orange peel (I think) and a few other things.  I think I will go have some now.

 

I am doing a few weeks of super-low-carb with my workouts as intense as I can get them to knock these last few pounds off.  I'm down to 131, and I don't think I want to go below 122, and probably 125 will be sufficient, so less than 10 lbs now!


Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

spughy is offline  
#24 of 71 Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
 
GoldBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: where my heart is free
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Snow here today! Kids are home so probably no exercising today. Well, maybe a short work out...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

 

I am so far down 3lbs!!! and lots of my clothes feel looser on my body.  I'm hoping to keep up this progress and see how well I do next week on our mid-challenge weigh-in.  Peace.gif

 

 


Congrats! Keep up the good work! And nice to meet you! 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

 

GB~ again, i am so delighted to see you! remind me to tell you where we spent 6 months last year..... 

 

ok, i must go make food! i've been doing splendidly well at making healthful meals for us all, packaging up portions for dh, so he is eating well, whatever time he happens to get to eat, and ds and i eat better too! which makes me so joyful.

 

one thing i am going to look into-- and let me know if any of you have thoughts.... i had this odd inspiration that perhaps a crockpot might be a good way for us to continue to eat healthfully once summer comes and it's too hot to "cook." toss things in in the morning while it's still coolish, let it cook away without the stove turned on, heating up the house, etc.... anyhow, i've never gotten into crock pots for fall and winter foods, because i love to stand over the pot, but in summer? hmmm.......

 

still no trampoline, either. encourage me? remind me? something...... i'm slacking in the desire to try it...........



Do tell! Oregon?

 

Good for you for making healthy food! I've gotten much better, but have yet to pack dh a lunch which I know would be so good for him! Maybe in March!

 

hide.gif I'm not a big crock pot/slow cooker fan...The flavors never did it for me.

 

What are you waiting for? Get that trampoline! Ebay?


treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
GoldBerry is offline  
#25 of 71 Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
 
GoldBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: where my heart is free
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

 

 

I am doing a few weeks of super-low-carb with my workouts as intense as I can get them to knock these last few pounds off.  I'm down to 131, and I don't think I want to go below 122, and probably 125 will be sufficient, so less than 10 lbs now!


I'm right with you- just about the same weight! 125 is my goal and while the rest of this week is coasting for me, I'm going to amp it up on Monday! Good luck to you! Let's blast these last pounds off!


treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
GoldBerry is offline  
#26 of 71 Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBerry View Post

Do tell! Oregon?

 


yep! corvallis. well, we never quite made it there, stayed nearby with family while we tried to get settled.... boy, oregon did NOT want us there, lol... it was a really rough time, but a great growth time, too. we came back to az, and are so grateful to be here now. i cried for many months about the loss of my or farm dream, but i'm....(wow, writing about it makes me see how amazingly far i've come in the past year!) i'm really really happy to be here now. 

 

only i do wish it would get warmer! we've got at least one more night below freezing, but then it is supposed to warm up to almost 80. (i really start feeling better when it's 85 or warmer, though above 70 helps me not feel downright ILL, which is how i've been all week, the going back and forth is what really does me in.)

 

re: food-- packing lunch is HARD. all i have to do is portion out leftovers for him to reheat when he gets home. so much easier. 

 

speaking of lunches..... better go make some.... we're out of just about everything, so it should be entertaining, lol.

aweynsayl is offline  
#27 of 71 Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
 
LionessMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

omg! i am under 150! i think the scale said 148.5. it has been more than 7 years since i was under 150. i am so stoked! my ultimate goal is to get back to 135 or 140 before i get pregnant again. that goal doesnt seem so far fetched any more. with the rate i am going it should only take another month to get to 140.

 

everybody has said how much better i look. healthy complexion, happy smiles. even with the stupid stuff that happened with DH. i feel better able to handle it. i love walking around and not feeling my body jar against my hip bones or my heels thud on the floor. my back feels straight, and it feels like my hips move and my body holds itself up. i dont know how to explain it.

 

i never thought i would ever be able to lose the weight. this is a dream come true.

 

i do a body flow class on monday nights. on wed nights i started a zumba class. i can only make it through half the class but it is fun! then i go sit in the steam room for 10 min. and sweat some more. fri i like to go to noon yoga but cant always make it. soon i am going to start taking the kids to open swim after church on sundays. and i want to start walking to the library on thur for story time. it is a nice 10 block walk.

 

still on a no dairy diet. occassionally i will have pizza. cut out all HFCS. i ate 4 girl scout cookies before looking at the box. oops. thhey had HFCS. not eating any fruit either, except lemons, limes, and orange juice. i stick to mostly tea, any meat, and rice or white bread. i feel less hungry too. my plate is smaller and if eel satisfied by it. then i drink water or a tea blend of mothers milk and RRL. before bed i take a prenatal vitamin, extra b vits and xtra folic acid. the doc told me to add xtra vit c (i am not supposed to eat any fruit for 6 weeks but i have been drinking home made lemonade and limade with stevia)

 

i read maltodextrin is used by athletes to help build muscle. i thought it was just an alt sugar.

 

something else i noticed. my red hair had been looking more and more brown over the years, but now it is starting to look more red again. wierd.

 

i hope everybody else is having a great day today!


Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
LionessMom is offline  
#28 of 71 Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
 
GoldBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: where my heart is free
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

omg! i am under 150! i think the scale said 148.5. it has been more than 7 years since i was under 150. i am so stoked! my ultimate goal is to get back to 135 or 140 before i get pregnant again. that goal doesnt seem so far fetched any more. with the rate i am going it should only take another month to get to 140.

 

everybody has said how much better i look. healthy complexion, happy smiles. even with the stupid stuff that happened with DH. i feel better able to handle it. i love walking around and not feeling my body jar against my hip bones or my heels thud on the floor. my back feels straight, and it feels like my hips move and my body holds itself up. i dont know how to explain it.

 

i never thought i would ever be able to lose the weight. this is a dream come true.

 


That's wonderful! You go, mama! I know what you mean, I love the lightness in my step, the increase of energy and just the awareness of my muscles.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post


yep! corvallis. well, we never quite made it there, stayed nearby with family while we tried to get settled.... boy, oregon did NOT want us there, lol... it was a really rough time, but a great growth time, too. we came back to az, and are so grateful to be here now. i cried for many months about the loss of my or farm dream, but i'm....(wow, writing about it makes me see how amazingly far i've come in the past year!) i'm really really happy to be here now. 

 


That sounds like quite a story! It's funny how sometimes we think we know what we need but later we find out what we needed was something else. I'm really glad you are in a good place for you!

 

Hardest part of this morning's workout:

Standing mountain climbers    ugh!


treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
GoldBerry is offline  
#29 of 71 Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

got in the pool yesterday for the first time in one of my new swimsuits. ohhh, ahhh! that was splendiferous! lurved it. so so so happy. it's warmer-ing-up out there, and it makes me feel SO much better.

 

one thing i'm noticing with the cell salts is that i FEEL my body more. i was so in tune with it before this OR jaunt, and whatever happened to my body there really adversely affected that. it's so wonderful to feel that start to come back. so so wonderful! 

 

still no trampoline. but i did put out the bit of my TM that has it on it, and figure that will motivate me.... although, now i'm back in the pool, all other thoughts are likely to get pushed out! lol. 

 

have i mentioned i love swimming??? heehee.

aweynsayl is offline  
#30 of 71 Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Popping in as its been a crazy week with work, & the kiddos who have been sick.  I am still holding steady at 196 and hopefully next week I'll see another drop as I am trying to be very good with my diet and a bit more laid back about my exercise in terms of just walking for 60 minutes instead of pushing myself/my body well beyond its limits (i.e. trying to walk at level 14 incline at 3.8mph  nono.gif)

 

I'm also working with some FE and they have been great, but *insert whine here* causing a bit of discomfort in terms of releasing my tension in my back. I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders, so its opened another door of work for me before I can move forward.

 

I hope everyone is doing great and getting ready for spring.  Yesterday it was chilly, but I got to see mud (instead of frozen snow & ice) and was soooooooooo excited for spring to be here! I should consider getting my bike tuned up in the next couple of weeks! YIPEEEEEE

 

 


treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off