Lots to Lose - Feb! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 142 Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aithnea - that's correct. Breastfeeding mom's need an extra 500 calories to help maintain their milk supply. They also need to lose weight more slowly because when we lose weight, we excrete toxins, even in our breastmilk. Also, exercise releases endorphins and happier moms lead to happier babies! smile.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#62 of 142 Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM

So I went shopping for some new pants today and could not find a pair of Levi's in my NEW! size.  Any leads?  Also, every pair of jeans I found were more like stretchy pants than jeans - is this a new trend? 

#63 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
motherhendoula - I think it's good to exercise if you think you can manage it, but weight loss really is 90% about food. Most of the time that I've been losing weight, I've been unable to exercise (I hurt my back really badly about this time last year, and I spent months barely able to get off the sofa). Anyhow, I've lost 115 lbs with minimal exercise. It's not ideal, but it's definitely doable.

wow, Eclipse.. that's amazing.  can you share with us your eating plan?  approx. how many calories.. what you do/don't eat, etc.

Hey Mama! likes this.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#64 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Aithea and Motivated

I am eating more calories and fat b/c of BFing my toddler.

After I had DD I lost weight drastically (not on purpose) and lost about 80lbs in 9 months. I am worried now reading that she got toxins from my milk. What kind of toxins?

I also read somewhere that if you ate conventional food before you were BFing your fat has a high amount of pesticides in it. When you lose weight the pesticides go through your milk. Anyone else heard of this? I try so hard to give her everything organic and healthy how much would that suck if I was the one poisoning her?!

What can we do about this?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#65 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 AM

sosurreal - I'm having a hard time finding a study that links rapid weight loss with higher toxins in the breastmilk. This is a good thing. Most of the studies I've found say that slow weight loss is preferred due to the mother's health; however, kellymom.com has a big number of references regarding pollutants and breastmilk. The main thing to take away from this though, is that breastmilk is still best when it comes to your baby.

references

#66 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM

I finally went to the podiatrist this morning.  I've had pain since I had my youngest 3 1/2 years ago.  I knew I had plantars fasciitis, but also found out that I have a stress fracture on one of my heels.  I have to ware a walking cast for 4 weeks.  So, I can't walk much or ride my exercise bike.  boo hoo.  But, I'll be able to do many more things once I heal that I haven't been able to do this year.  It will be great to hike and take long walks again. 

I'm going to look into more exercises that I can do while sitting. 

I made chicken parmesean last night.  I baked it.  It was so good and not too bad on calories. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#67 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Just saying hi.  I am discouraged - no weight loss, no gain though.  (Which is good, right?  Gaining is what got me in this mess).  

I do feel better due to the better diet and exercise, though.   That also counts.  

I am also a bit jealous of some of you - even though I know you work hard and deserve it.

it is very frustrating.  I really am one of those people who can do anything....except loose weight.

Bah humbug!

kathy

#68 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM

hug.gif Kathy - If it makes you feel better, I am an absolute emotional rollercoaster this week. I've traded sanity for weight loss orngtongue.gif

#69 of 142 Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM

I think I have plantar fasciitis as well. My right heel is killing me.  I can't walk properly or anything.  I'm hoping I can self treat because I don't have any health insurance. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post

I finally went to the podiatrist this morning.  I've had pain since I had my youngest 3 1/2 years ago.  I knew I had plantars fasciitis, but also found out that I have a stress fracture on one of my heels.  I have to ware a walking cast for 4 weeks.  So, I can't walk much or ride my exercise bike.  boo hoo.  But, I'll be able to do many more things once I heal that I haven't been able to do this year.  It will be great to hike and take long walks again. 

I'm going to look into more exercises that I can do while sitting. 

I made chicken parmesean last night.  I baked it.  It was so good and not too bad on calories. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#70 of 142 Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 PM

I gotta brag on myself for a minute.  I was GF/CF then I fell off the wagon big time.  Today was day 2 back on the wagon and I'm pretty proud of myself.  I've been struggling to get here for weeks!  Yay!!

#71 of 142 Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM

I never thought about the endorphins released during a workout entering into my breastmilk, although that does explain why DD has been in such a wonderful mood today.  I had a really hard crossfit class at my gym yesterday, so bad that when I got home I went straight to bed!  But I woke up enough that night to feed DD.  She's been in a super good mood all day.  I wonder if that has something to do with it.  Well, now I have another reason to get my workouts in: happy baby.

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#72 of 142 Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Augh... what a week.  Last Thursday I was so proud of myself for losing 10+ lbs in a month.  Later that day we had a pipe burst in a deep freeze and flood our house.  We are currently staying with my  in-laws.  Then on Monday my youngest started passing around a stomach bug that really knocked me on my butt. 

Despite all this craziness, I still have been trying really hard to work out daily (videos- no C25K running) and eating healthy (hard to do with my butter loving in-laws).... to no avail.   I've gained two lbs.  Who gains weight during a stomach bug?  Seriously!?!?!?!? 

AUGH!!!

~maddymama

Here's to a better week coming up.  Our weather is supposed to start getting very nice again, and I've gotten my jogging stroller over to my in-laws house.  I hope you are all doing better than I did this week!

#73 of 142 Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM

I need to stay accountable. Yesterday was our day off all together. DH didn't want me to go to the gym because he wanted all of us to spend the day together and then I ate too much junk yesterday (Ramen noodles, light beer, etc). I didn't binge, but I feel like crap. And I can't go to the gym today because I have to work 10-10 and DH leaves at 7:00 when the gym opens so I have the kids until the babysitter gets here and have tons to do - cleaning, dressing, making breakfast, making lunch, etc.

I really want to break that 200 mark this week. I've been teetering at 200-201 for the past few days. I made green fruit juices for the day along with lots of water and I have to have coffee. I have some celery and peanut butter for protein and an apple for the fiber. I hope to feel much cleaner by tomorrow. Oh, and af started yesterday, so that probably just adds to the crap feelings.

Anyway, I'm here with you all through the ups and downs.

#74 of 142 Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Alright wise women, can you talk to me about calories? I did the calculators that I saw on line with my weight/height/age and activity level and it seemed like they wanted me to eat about 3000 a day to maintain my current weight (which I obviously don't want to do)! So, I read someone else here saying that you should reduce by 150 calories per day to drop 3 pounds a week -- so for me that would mean eating about 1500 calories a day, right? I have been doing that and it seems like it is very reasonable. But, I want to check in -- is this right?

Thanks!

#75 of 142 Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 PM

It takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat.  So if your body required 3000 calories a day to maintain, if you reduced that to 2500 you would lose a pound a week ( 500 a day x 7 days).  Reducing by 1500 a day would drop you three pounds a week. 

And don't forget to count excercise - if you burn more calories you will lose faster.  Or you can eat more. 

What you have to remember is that it is all an estimate though.  Those numbers all depend on having an average metabolism.  Your weight loss may not be as exact as those calculators say depending on how much your body likes to hang on to fat. 

Personally, I find 1500 calories hard and am a much happier camper at around 1800.  It allows for that one extra snack that helps fill me up and prevents me from feeling deprived.  I know that means I will lose a little slower, but in the long run I am ok with that. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#76 of 142 Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM

I think 1500 calories is very low to feel good. I know I get light-headed and feel drained if my calories are too low. I think it  is important to be realistic too.

If 3000 calories was my maintaining starting point I would start out at 2000 on a diet at least. You can work your way down.

If it is too drastic and you feel deprived or hungry you can add a little, but once you are off the wagon it is hard to get back on.

Like me, I was doing really well then AF came and went but I cheated. I haven't been tracking my cals for weeks....greensad.gif. Then we were at MILs for 2 days and all she has is horribly delicious junk food..I ate like a pig...now I am home but DH bought a stinking 12 pack of huge blueberry muffins at the wholesale club! I have been chowing them down b/c they are on the stinking counter and already prepared and calling my name lol seriously though I am regretful to admit it.

I need motivation. It is so hard!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#77 of 142 Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 AM

When I first started losing, I was eating 1800-2000 calories a day an losing at a good rate. I think the advice generally given by professionals on calorie consumption for weight loss is really, really bad - telling people who are 100 lbs overweight to eat 1200-1500 calories a day is setting them up for failure. It might not be unhealthy, but if your body thinks it's starving, it's going to tell your brain to EAT EAT EAT (in caps and everything lol.gif)! I think if you can eat 2000 calories a day, not feel hungry or deprived, and still lose a couple of pounds a week, then that's what you should do. I have less to lose now, so I aim for 1200-1500 calories now, but I couldn't have maintained that when I was 286 lbs.
#78 of 142 Old 02-13-2011, 03:02 PM

so this weekend has been an epic fail.. no exercise for the last 3 days and my diet.. not so great.  2 glasses of wine, dessert... i just hope i didn't screw everything up for weigh in tomorrow :(

#79 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 AM

ok, so down 1 lb for the week, making my total 11 lbs for the last month (since i started). i kind of lost my motivation for the last few days (my son's diabetes anniversary is today, i'm feeling rather depressed about it), and my eating hasn't been great over the weekend. but, i did get up early and got in 40 mins of kettlebells this morning, so i'm going to keep chugging along.  i plan to get in some time on the elliptical later today, and NO special desserts tonight!!

hope you all have good results today, and Happy Valentines Day :)

#80 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM

AHHHHHHHHHh 187.4 I gained 3.4lbs! FML

#81 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Honestly, I didn't weigh myself this week because I ate whatever I wanted all week. Hopefully I get get back on track again fairly quickly. I have a vacation planned the later 1/2 of this week so will probably just concentrate on getting enough fruits and vegetables and water this week. Then back to tracking calories next week. I probably won't weigh again until I'm more back on track. I really don't feel like looking at weight gain from bloating (from eating bad foods) not real weight.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#82 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Hey all! I am down another 2 pounds for a total of 6 and 3 inches in my waist:)! My waist and my arms are the two biggest things that always seem to surprise me in pictures, so I'm glad to see that going down! I've been keeping up with my workouts but eating has been a little off. My parents spend a month down here every winter and are here now which means more eating out and just more eating in general. My mom buys all kinds of stuff for their house that I just don't keep in mine. Plus, if I see someone else eating something or drinking a soda or glass of wine, I am much more likely to have one. Thankfully, the hard workouts are keeping me moving in the right direction.

Katie

#83 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 AM

I think my scale was broken last week when it told me I was 215.  This week it says that I'm 222lbs!  I find it hard to believe that I'm up 7lbs, especially since Wednesday I had a super hard workout, made it to the gym 3 times this week, and have been watching my calories like a hawk.  I just can't seem to take the weight off.  It's getting to the point that I'm suspecting the pills that I'm on.

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#84 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM

I am jumping in this thread too.

I started my new exercise routine two weeks ago, went for a run and realized my throat was sore. So you know running+breathing hard= OUCH. Then WHAM- I have been hit hard by the everlasting cold. I am talking new aches and pains everday. Sore throat, ear ache at 2am, sore neck, cough, plugged sinuses, nasal dripping.... The whole shabang.

Meanwhile my brand spanking new running shoes sit there in my closet silently tempting me to go for a run at 6am. How can I think about working out when I can barely breathe? LOL

The day I can hear out of my ear again and don't wake up with a sore throat I will be heading outside for a brisk walk.

I have at least 50lbs to lose. I know I can do it. Why is it that my timing always sucks? Hopefully I won't eat my weight in chocolate today.

Happy Valentine's day to all.

#85 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's struggling here.  The last week or so I eased up just a little on the calories and the sodium restriction, and now the scale is going the wrong way!   I'm embarassed to weigh with my friends at work tomorrow greensad.gif  AND DH wants to go out for Valentine's Day supper!

Tired mama to my wild childenergy.gif ribbluyel.gif

#86 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM

I hit 200 earlier this week, but I missed Friday's workout and overate Saturday and Sunday, so 201 is the official weight this morning. Looks like I'll be spending another week shooting for the 200 break. AF will be done tomorrow too so that should help.

#87 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM

I lost 5lbs. But, its weight I had already lost and put back on, so, no net loss for me.  I'm glad to see the 5lbs back off, but I get frustrated because it seems like I will gain and lose the same 5lbs and never get anyway. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#88 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the calories info. I have been eating in the 1400-1600 range and feeling great (except today with Valentine's dinner out and the box of chocolates from DH which must have put me at about 2500). And, I finally started to see the downward movement I want with a fabulous weigh-in at 239! That is my first goal! WooHoo!

1/1/11:         256

2/1/11:         243

2/14/11:       239

First goal:    239  :) :D :;

2nd goal:     225

#89 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM

184.6!  YES!

#90 of 142 Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Shelly, I have a major major lump in my throat right now and shivers going up my spine!  My son was also dx'd with type one in Feb (this week is his d anniversary).  He will be living with it for 2 years!  I am also in Canada.  He has been using a pump for a year now.  I have held onto major pounds since his dx.  Emotional/stress weight.  I am going to join WW this week I think.  Wow, if you ever want to PM me please do, it sounds like we have very similar stories!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page