Lots to Lose - Feb! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hola, mamas! I didn't work out yesterday. It just didn't happen. I thought the water aerobics class was in the evening but it was in the morning and I was too tired and drained after a day of running around and cleaning to go at night...I know, excuses! I did swim for a half hour today and I'm really feeling it. My shins are still barking at me. I am going to stick to the pool in the mornings. I am at my best in the mornings and have the most energy. I pretty much stuck to my diet yesterday. It's a work in process.smile.gif

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Happy February:)! I lost 2 pounds last week for a total of 3 pounds in 2 weeks. Not as fast as I would like, but exactly what you are "supposed" to lose so I'm trying not to be frustrated! I can tell a big difference already in my workouts. I have a really good workout buddy that is coming 3 days/week and that is very helpful for me.

Abby- I am the same way! If I don't get my workout in first thing, the chances I will do it go down drastically. It is really important for me to get up and get it over with!

Hope you all have a great day:)!

Katie 

#3 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

hi everyone!! i hope everyone has an awesome february. feb is a hard month for me... valentine's day is when my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and my heart just aches every year around this time (it will be 3 years). it's just so not fair, and i wish i could take it away from him :(

i'm trying hard to stay motivated, and not 'eat' those feelings. plus of course, all the junk and chocolate associated with valentine's day to begin with. it's my #1 goal to get thru V-day without going overboard. it's super hard for me to stop myself around chocolate, so i'm either going to have to give myself a very specific limit, or just not eat any at all.

how do you guys help control yourselves when you're feeling all emotional? does anyone have any tips or tricks that have worked well for them in the past?

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#4 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM

I wish I knew better how not to "eat" those feelings.  I can sometimes find something else to do, like clean out a closet, until I feel better. 

Today is a snow day.  I've been wondering how to motivate my husband to more actively look for a job.  I mentioned today that I don't think he's been looking hard enough.  That didn't go over too well.  He's been a SAH dad for the past 3 1/2 years.  We really need another income.  It's very stressful. 

I worked out yesterday and plan to again today. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#5 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi Mamas,

Shelly4-- don't eat your feelings.  Your sadness at your son being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes is SADNESS.  Give yourself permission to feel your feelings, have a good cry or two, feel your pain.  Don't eat it.  I think sometimes we think "Oh, well, it's been three years, I've had time to get used to it." but in reality, we are still dealing with a difficult diagnosis (mine was a miscarriage a few years ago......).   Anyway, give yourself permission to be blue, sad, upset, angry, depressed.... then go workout, talk to a friend, write a letter, etc. 

Good luck!

~maddymama

new to Lots to Lose- Feb

working on feeling my feelings so I don't eat them, too

#6 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Been reading for a while, but haven't posted yet.

starting weight Jan. 3, 2011 - 295

current weight (on 1/26/11) - 282.6

goal weight - 185

1st mini goal - 275

reward - massage

I'm tracking my eating on sparkpeople and aiming for around 1500 calories a day. I plan to add exercise in, but haven't made it that far. I weigh on Saturday as I take weekends off and want my low weight of the week not my high. I love swimming but getting to the gym is difficult. Heck finding time for any exercise is difficult. I work full time (no where near a gym), and volunteer with my kids activities a lot (several nights a week). I can't find time to clean my house let alone pop in an exercise video. My work is moving to a new building in March and there is a small on site workout room there.  Hoping to fit in something over my lunch once we move.

Not feeling well today so have only really eaten some saltines and tea and little fruit.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#7 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm still in =)

Gym day today.  I go three times a week and lift weights for an hour.

#8 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM

from the last thread
Quote:
eclipse - you *are* such an inspiration! How long did it take you to lose all of that. It is so nice to have people further along on the journey so that those of us just starting out know that it really is possible.

Aww, thanks. smile.gif I've been losing since around September of 2009 - so 16 months or so? The last couple of months have been slow for weight loss, as I get closer to my goal. I have about 20 lbs more to meet the goal I set when I started (150 lbs), but I think I'll want to lose more once I get there. As it is, though, even if I never lost another ounce, I'm happy. Life is so much easier for me than it was 115 lbs ago!
#9 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Hi Mamas! Welcome maddymama and JollyGG!

My goal for this month is to lose another 12 pounds (3lbs a week). This would bring me down to 193. I don't see Valentine's as an issue for myself. When I get food cravings, I tend to just drink a ton of water and/or fresh juices.

Today I ran 2 miles at a 9:45 pace. In December, when I started "running" again, it took me 15 min to run/walk a mile. It's pretty crazy to think that in just a month, I lost 15 pounds and gained so much speed. orngbiggrin.gif I will be completing the Couch to 5K this month and then working on my endurance and speed for awhile. I've also been biking and lifting light weights. I'd like to be able to do at least 50 crunches and 10 real push-ups soon.

Good Luck everybody!

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#10 of 142 Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM

hello!

Not much to add.  I dragged in the indoor bike and did 15 minutes while watching a dvd.  It was fun and something I think I can commit to.

#11 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am recommiting myself to track all my food today.  I haven't tracked in a week, I've just been kind of keeping track in my head.  Since I'm finally on abx for this infection I feel well enough to exercise so I'm going to hop back on that bandwagon as well.  Being snow bound in the house is making me want to eat from boredom.  *sigh* I have a box of 30 full sized chocolate bars in my room for a fundraiser and I'm proud to say I have not eaten any of them.  I also have stayed out of the chips in the cabinet, but made some popcorn on the stove with lots of butter yesterday.  I tried to make my snack choices healthy for the most part aside from that darn popcorn.  I may shovel the walk today since we received about 18 in of snow yesterday. 

sosurreal09 likes this.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#12 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 AM

Hi ladies!

I have been doing ok here. Still haven't actually worked out, but I am cleaning the house more which is one of my goals! I have been eating pretty well considering I have AF and DD has a mild ear infection which is why she has been such a PIA lol I love her so much though! I have been giving her garlic oil to clear it up. HTH!

We are snowed in too!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

The Y closed today because of a security threat at our local university. I wasn't able to do water aerobics this morning, but I did go early before it was closed and swam around for twenty minutes. I am going to mop all my floors today and that always brings on the sweat.orngbiggrin.gif I think my mother is going to pay for me to go the weight watchers until I start working again! I need to be held more accountable for my journaling. I eat the majority of my calories in the evening which I know is bad but it's like a raging urge. This is something that I must work on daily. I have definately improved in the last couple of weeks, at least making better choices but the urge to binge is still there. I drank a butt load of water last night and made air popped popcorn with braggs amino acids squirted all over. I could feel like I ate a lot with out eating a ton of calories. Also, I chew so much gum to stop me from eating. I haven't had a cigarette in weeks and the gum has helped. That urge is still there but it's definately more controlable then the eating.

Shelley...A good cry and a piece of dessert flavored gum. Best wishes to you and your family!

Someone asked last month if our partners were supportive......mine is totally supportive. He has recently lost about twenty pounds from working out and he eats fairly well. Although, he did say he was going to make homemade chicken wings with homemade bleu dressing on Sunday for the Super Bowl. Sunday happens to be my birthday, too, so I will probably partake in the wing eating. I am going to be 32 years old. I have spent the last ten years obese. I don't think my health can take another ten. I absolutely need to take this weight off. I'm 32 and sometimes it takes me three attempts to get off the bloody couch! Sometimes I can't reach behind me to clasp my bra! I've taken to wearing huge sports bras. This has got to change or I'm going to die like this.

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#14 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, on a funny note, I called my MIL from the Y parking lot to tell her that the Y was closed because of a security threat and see if she could watch the news and see if the public schools were going to close, too, along with the university. She paused and then asked if I was hallucinating! HA! I told her I knew it was real because everyone got out of the pool and left the building. orngtongue.gif

#15 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 AM

HI Mamas! May I join in here? I have been working on losing weight now since around Thanksgiving when I switched to a vegan diet due to a chronic health condition. I started at 202 and am now 180. I've been food journaling and keeping track of exercise at myfitnesspal.com. My first goal is to get down to about 150. My ideal weight is probably around 130 though. Baby steps. I don't go to a gym, but I do play volleyball for two hours one night a week and I've been trying to get on the Wii Fit with my kids everyday. We do the free run for 10 minutes. We're being dumped on with snow right now too and I'm doing loads of shoveling. Anyway, glad I found this thread. :)

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#16 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Abbylotus-We are the same age. I will be 32 in August.  I have also been obese for the last 10 years and while I don't have any health/mobility problems I am predisposed to joint issues and have had some issue with that.  Also, I am the mother of 3 girls who need me to be a healthy role model.  I have overcome so many food related issues since they were born and now I'm working on showing them how to have an active lifestyle.  I guess my rambling post is just a way for me to say I totally know where you are coming from.  I'm doing this because I don't want to be another statistic who has to ride a jazzy because they are too fat to walk.  That is not the quality of life I want for myself and my family doesn't deserve that either. 

Wow, I think this post has light a fire under my behind again! 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#17 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Hello! Excited for a new February thread. Last week I did not lose anything - I was actually up one pound at Monday. Not what I had in mind after being really good all week, but I think things are shifting and I am confident I will lose this week! Plus, I feel good about the overall weight loss in one month!

Jan 1: 256

Feb 1: 243

Lost in January: 13 pounds!

My first goal has been to get to 239 (out of the 240s!), which would be the lowest I have been in 2 years. That's a victory I am hoping to see soon!

I have been working out. I either do 8-1 miles on an indoor bike or I have been doing some Biggest Loser work out videos as well. And last week I did a ton of walking. I'd walk to places, sometimes 2-4 mile round trip walks and that flet really good.

Looking forward to another month. LOVED reading all the people with success stories this month. Way to go!

#18 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM

I'm also 32 (33 in April).  I've been overweight/obese since I had my oldest, who will be 12 this year.  I vowed when I turned 30 that I would not spend my 30s this way.  I haven't done a very good job so far. 

I did two 13 minute rounds on the exercise bike yesterday.  That's the most I've done in quite awhile.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#19 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Nina,

I'm on week 2 of the couch to 5K.  I am so proud of you for finishing it.  What are you going to do afterwards? (I'm thinking ahead here....) Are there anygood training podcasts for running?  I'm thinking of starting the C25K over again, but joggin slowly for the walking and pushing the runs to increase my health.  I don't think I'll be able to add time to my workout with two kids, but I'm looking for ways to increase/keep my fitness level once I get there.

I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred on "indoor weather" days like today.  WOW.  That is tough.  I can't make it through it yet without collapsing on the floor, but I'm definitely seeing improvements in my cardio and strength.

~maddymama

#20 of 142 Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM

I think I am doing better when it comes to 'eating my feelings'  - but being at home with a pretty easy baby has reduced my stress levels!  I  find myself getting upset because i am cooking ALL THE TIME - and am eating very little of it!  I have a 15 yr old DD and 12 yr old DS and large and hungry DH who is currently working two jobs so I can relax with my easy baby (which im thrilled about and dont take for granted!)   

My DD has a digestive disorder and needs to eat gluten, wheat, dairy , tomato, potato , corn free.  My DS is picky, and my DH  refuses to eat leftovers.  My DD is getting better about cooking and cleaning the kitchen - but there are days when i feel like i made three gourmet meals and im eating a baked sweet potato for dinner.  Not to mention countless hours pouring over recipes for DD!  

I guess i am experiencing 'revenge eating'  so far so good - i thought maybe if i rote about it it might work to pre-emptively stop myself! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#21 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 AM

Wow. Losing weight is HARD work when done right. Yesterday and today have been particularly hard days for me at the gym. I'm exhausted and it's like pulling teeth to get through the hour. ::sigh:: I think I just need to up the protein and decrease the carbs. Today was 6-2 for me on the c25k program. After completing the program, I plan to work on maintaining mileage first followed by increasing speed and then working up to a 10K. I want to run the Beach to Beacon (Cape Elizabeth, ME) in August. The last time I ran it, I was 20 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and overweight. Needless to say, it was a fairly disappointing run (err, I mean shuffle/walk). I'd like to do a half marathon in October, but that is getting really ambitious. We'll see how the next couple of months go.

I hope I can manage 3 pounds this week. I've been pushing through the workouts, but my optimism is slipping. Maybe I'm PMSing early this month. I guess I'll try the protein thing. OK. Done rambling.

#22 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 AM

I am feeling very frustrated.  I have an action plan - but I am going to vent first!

I may or may not have lost 2 pounds since I started this one month ago.  I maintained, which is certainly better than gaining, but to be honest - gaining is not my issue.  I have been this weight for years (like 7 or so).  Before that I fluctuated - but even then , 235 was a pretty common weight for me.

I do not mind how my body looks - but I hate how I look in photos.  I sometimes find it hard to do things I should be able to do due to my weight, and I have huge worries about my weight affecting my longevity...and yet i still cannot get that scale to budge.

At any rate - my plan is to eat 1600 calories a day for the next week, plus exercise...if I do not lose even a single pound I am going to the doctor and making sure there is nothing wrong with my thyroid, etc.

Geesh - this weight loss things sucks and I suck at it.gloomy.gif

#23 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM

i'm having a hard time keeping optimistic too, and i am just pushing through my workouts as well.  we just had a huge snowstorm here, so maybe it's just cabin fever, i don't know.  i gotta keep at it!!

#24 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 AM

Shelly...you in Ontario?  I also got boatload of snow....

#25 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM

yup, i'm in ontario!  in between london and toronto :)

#26 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 AM

OK, so I'm not saying my starting weight, or my goal weight.  I just wanted to say that in 4 weeks, I've lost 11 lbs.  Yippee for me!

~maddymama

sosurreal09 likes this.
#27 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM

grouphug.gif because we need it and joy.gif maddymama!

#28 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Gym day today.  Its getting easier!

#29 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Hello Mamas!  I hope to join you are this weight loss journey.  I've been over weight most of my life but now that I've got a little one I'm trying to take the pounds off and set a good example for my DD.  Shortly after she was born I decided that I want to run a triathlon before I turn 40 (I'm 28 now so I've got lots of time to get in shape for it).  Currently I'm 217lbs.  I started out at 220lbs so I've already lost 3lbs!  My goal weight is 130lbs.  Still have a ways to go.  For Christmas DH got me a gym membership.  I've been trying to go 3 times a week.  Last month I did really well but these last two weeks I haven't been.  Last week I was visiting my parents and this week I just haven't been.  DH has been working late and DD has a cold so I haven't really been able to get out of house.

Right now my plan is to go to the gym 3 times a week and walk/run on off days.  I have been tracking what I eat and will likely start counting calories soon (currently I just want to get into the habit of writing everything down).

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#30 of 142 Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Welcome Aithnea!

Hugs for everyone who is feeling discouraged. 

Does anyone have any worries about skin after a significant weight loss?  I had a c-section with DD so have the gross belly overhang situation, and I am really afraid that as I lose weight I will just be left with a bunch of saggy overhanging skin.  Yick!  Most of the advice online seems to be to make sure to lose weight slowly (weight loss surgery really causes a lot of saggy skin because the weight comes off so quickly) and that the skin will spring back.  But I am not so convinced.  I don't like the idea of having plastic surgery, but I don't like the alternative either. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page