Dingos Running For Love in February! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DrJen ~ I love reading about your births and am so excited that you'll soon be training the next generation of family practice docs orngbiggrin.gif

tjsmama ~ wish your last OB day was more exciting, but at least you got a lot of work done.  What's your next rotation?

Penelope ~ Happy Birthday (a little late)!  The tat sounds beautiful.

Day six of parental visit.  Just had a huge "discussion" (read argument), about moral relativism with Dad.  Fun times.  Just glad DH wasn't here, because he would have been steaming from his ears!

Oh, I got the race results ~ 1/16 for women 40-49, and 3/30something for all women.  Go me!!!!

No running or exercising at all to report, but I am seeing a new chiro this morning, so I'm excited about that.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#392 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 AM
bec

WOOT!!!! Way to go, JG!!!!

I'm still feeling punk.  I am so fatigued, have had this blazing headache, and cough.  Yuck.  I'm hoping to be able to go to tri class tomorrow.  We'll see. 

DrJen - I love your baby stories. 

Gaye - I know you would have preferred to have had some OB action, but at least you got to work on your care plan.  I'm sure it will rock. 

I made an appointment with Katie's ped for her well child physical (I can't believe her birthday is here already, and she's going to be 10!).  At this appointment, I'm going to talk to the doc about pursuing a diagnosis for her for ADD.  I'm worried about how long it takes her to finish her homework (2-3 hours is typical for roughly 30-60 minutes worth of work), her failing assignments because of poor attention (she brought home and F yesterday on a sheet because she forgot to answer the questions on the 2nd sheet in a packet, but was able to do the writing portion on the 3rd sheet! She aced the states' capitals quiz, but totally failed the geographical placement of the states because she forgot to study that part.  Things like that), and just worried about the toll this is taking on her self esteem.  I think it takes an extraordinary amount of effort on her part to stay focused enough to make it through the day, and I want her to be spending that energy on other things.  I'm tired of watching her struggle.  So, we will start talking about it.  I'm trying to figure out where my line in the sand is on when to medicate her.  I don't know that we are there yet, but I don't know that we're not. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#393 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 AM

JayGee, I hear the stress. I am fortunately in total political alignment with my parents, but even so I can't talk politics with them...because I know that's passion I best keep inside, and my mom especially is very loud and explicit about her feelings. Interestingly, even our religious differences are not an issue, BUT again, it's better if we don't get talking about it. It winds her up too much and stresses me out. Breathe, breathe, breathe. namaste.gif

Penelope, the tat sounds lovely. Like Nick, tattoos are quite literally against my religious practice (I'm thankful never to have had the $$ for them before coming to my faith). I have a double-pierced nose, though, and I wish my dh were OK with my wearing rings in the holes. Maybe being surrounded by South Asians will bring him around to it. Anyway, when you get it done, think of the day as an extension of your birthday. blowkiss.gif And my warning to you: 36 was a year of intense babylust for me. winky.gif

MelW, I didn't do great on my Feb goals. BUT, I did intensify my workouts/training, and I now feel ready to really roll. I realized, too, that I do best when I supplement protein. I get very hungry when I don't eat a lot of protein, and end up overeating on carbs. More protein, more sleep and a daily multivitamin are now part of the daily routine, and my hope is to continue to make speed/distance gains and weight loss. I want to be back at my goal weight, the top of "normal" BMI, by the time we relocate.

drjen, that made me laugh a little..."Everything's fine, and by the way, I have amniotic fluid dripping." So glad mom and baby are fine, and I hope you can sleep some.

RR: Yesterday, I did just 15min on the elliptical and then 20min on the track. Sunday, I had done 60min on the elliptical and weight machines, then coffee at a coffeeshop all alone, and yoga in the afternoon, so yesterday the arms and legs were feeling pretty tired. It's looking like Saturdays are rest days, which isn't ideal but I can deal with it, I guess. Today I'll likely bike and run.

NRR: Totally stressed with the relo. Inspection reports are beginning to come in. First appraiser came yesterday, second comes tomorrow. Tax call today, bank call sometime later this week. Termite inspection tomorrow. Septic repair needs to be done (something very, very minor, fortunately), and I'm bracing myself for the home inspection report, considering this is a 100+yo farmhouse. Yikes. Can use any spare vibes.

#394 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM

bec, good luck with that doc visit. My ped said she totally understood, explained that her sister had done the same thing but waited until college to medicate and then dropped it. Perhaps I'll bring it up again as it looks like we'll be there quite a bit coming up.

JG, clap.gif

Gaye, I hope you have a more interesting though no less productive day today.

Linus appears to have jock itch or some other fungal thing that can't be diaper rash as there are no diapers, I just found out the free sports physicals are a thing of the past and we need two of those. My flu, while receeding, has left me with pink eye today. Dh is out of town. Charlotte hates this family and having sandwiches in her lunch. Ian lost his student id so we need to go to BMV to get a non-drivers license (for his class trip). Alice stayed up all night making a poster of the water cycle for fun, not for class. How odd is that? Helen thinks it is unfair that I make her brush her hair and teeth everyday. This morning was so frustrating and resulted in a very therapeutic and sweatytempo run on the TM once I cleared my eye goup.

ETA: jo, I so enjoy keeping up with your changes and hearing from you. I wish I had something more to say other than how amazing it is to me that you appear to be taking it all in stride and just getting it done. kiss.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#395 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Re: the tattoo - I'm getting a trio of fir trees, in black silhouette, on my right lower back (above my waistline, below my bra.) I'm pretty excited.

At first I read fir trees in black stilettos, and was trying to imagine a sexy fir tree image. Black silhouette I can picture... Have fun! I don't know if you have the same experience, but I get a terrific endorphin "high" from tattooing.

JayGee, good luck with your parents. I hope the rest of the visit is smoother and less political. And way to go with the race results!!!

Jo, thinking of you and sending best wishes for the inspection.

Bec- hope you're feeling better soon, and that your DD's ped appt goes well. Hard decisions.

My plans for today are grocery shopping, lunch date on campus with DH and DD2, cooking some soups for this week's dinners, and bootcamp tonight.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#396 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Linus appears to have jock itch or some other fungal thing that can't be diaper rash as there are no diapers, I just found out the free sports physicals are a thing of the past and we need two of those. My flu, while receeding, has left me with pink eye today. Dh is out of town. Charlotte hates this family and having sandwiches in her lunch. Ian lost his student id so we need to go to BMV to get a non-drivers license (for his class trip). Alice stayed up all night making a poster of the water cycle for fun, not for class. How odd is that? Helen thinks it is unfair that I make her brush her hair and teeth everyday. This morning was so frustrating and resulted in a very therapeutic and sweatytempo run on the TM once I cleared my eye goup.

Wow.  I wish we could go out for coffee!  hug2.gif

#397 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Mommajb: Don't think you're alone. That is my "normal" day that is really too frustrating and boring to post about, so I don't.

Penelope: I'm intrigued by your tattoo idea. I'm not a tattoo person and am not into them, but that sounds pretty. You'll have to post a picture.

Jaygee: I hope the 10 days goes smoothly. It sounds like how I feel about my SIL.

Drjen: whomever said we're so pleased you are training new doctors, I totally agree.

I tried shopping at Sierra Trading post for a workout skirt -- none in my size. I have one from target that I hate the fabric of. I did see the Patagonia catalog yesterday and they have one with a super nice fabric but expensive. Someday....it'll be out of style and then on sale.

I just skied for almost an hour with a friend and while I can't keep up with her, she enjoys chatting so it was fun. Sweaty. Now off to grade, shower, preschool pickup, Junior Great Books and then grade some more. Full day.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#398 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Jaygee~ wowzers mama!  YOu are amaZIng!  Way to go on your race!!

mamaJB~I'm a mean mom too, at least my kids think so.  :)  I hear ya!

Penelope~do the trees represent anything?  Sounds so cool!  HOw did you choose the placement?

Jo~how did you come to your faith?  I just thought you had always been.

Bec~I soooo hear ya on ADD (my son has ADHD).  His world turned around when we started him on medication.  Couldn't hug him without getting hurt just due to impulsivness,e tc, he had no friends, school was really difficult/impossible.  We had to try a lot of other options first before finally deciding to try medication (that's when we first went to therapy).  Good luck with this decision, it's not easy either way.  She is such a sweetheart as are all of your girls!!  Love em!

RR: ran tempo this morning of 4 miles at 7:24 and mile warm up and mile cool down. 

NRR: kids to school, bible study, meeting re: mom group I co-lead, pick up ds3, now lunch and maybe.....nap if I can swing it.  :)  I'm tired.  Wild weather the other night and then ds3 in bed last night glued to my side.  even a head butt middle of the night. 

#399 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

kerc- do you have a TJ Maxx there? I have found a couple of pretty nice running skirts that are much higher quality and lower price than Target. I recently got a New Balance one that I really like, for $13 or so.

I'm so busy. I wish I had time to do the SS thing this year. I also wish I was better at managing my time, because I am sure not as busy as most of you.

Craft show this weekend, kids going to grandma's today. We'll be visiting with MIL and GMIL for the first time since Kurt's death. greensad.gif There has been no real resolution there, either.

Thankfully, my hours at Target are much less now. I am getting really nervous about this summer. Gardening, farmer's market, softball... where will this time come from?
#400 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM

I keep on seeing all the great things y'all are getting from your SS. :)  Sounds so lovely!   Yeah. 

Penelope - the tatoo sounds totally cool.  and I'm with MelW - I read it that way too.  LOL

JayGee - way to go with the race results.

DoctorJen - you have some awesome birth stories.  Wish you lived in my neck of the woods.

I pulled out the Wii and DDR game - it has a workout mode!  Yesterday I did almost an hour and had a blast.  Today is kettlebell day.  I'll be doing an extra 20 minutes on the TM after.  I printed off the application for a 5K the first weekend in April, just need to write the check and put it in the mail.

Does anyone here use a BodyBug? Do you like it? Has it helped you with your goals?  Debating asking dh for one for my birthday (not until August, but need time to get it into the budget).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#401 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Ladies, what to do with my running in regards to the race this weekend?  I have 4 mile easy tomorrow, rest/xt thursday, and 9mile LR friday.  THEN, Saturday morning is the 10k that I want to run in under 48 minutes so that I can seed for the half marathon in May.  Should I forgo the LR on Friday so that I can race fast Saturday morning?  Should I try to move the LR to either Thursday or Sunday?  What would you do?

Thanks!

#402 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
bec

I have not done the BodyBug, but have thought about it.  Let us know, if you get it and how you like it!

Thanks, Lisa - I am pretty sure she doesn't have the H.  We don't have any impulsiveness or hyperactivity, just a complete inability to stay focused and process in any thing resembling a reasonable amount of time.  Poor kid.  She is very sweet.  She's also pretty smart.  But, sometimes it seems like I'm the only one that knows that! 

I am so tired I could cry.  I am hoping to run a little tomorrow during the day, and then strength training at night with tri class.

#403 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
bec

Lisa - I would do three miles easy after your race on Saturday, and run like the wind, Bullseye!!!!

#404 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Lisa, I wouldn't run long the day before the race, considering that you're using it for seeding. 

bec ~ good luck with your DD's appointment.  It sounds frustrating.

I went to the new chiro this morning and he did some kind of magic with my leg because it feels GREAT!  I just ran 4 miles with 5 x 1/4 mile intervals at a 7:15 pace and feel just fine.  I'm also running a race on Sunday ~ the biggest 5K in the St. Louis east metro area that usually fields well over 1,000 runners.  No way will I place because the women's winner for the last 4 years is in my agegroup and usually runs somewhere in the 18 minute range.  Yeah.... right!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#405 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

I also wish I was better at managing my time, because I am sure not as busy as most of you.

Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Can use any spare vibes.

Coming your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I apologize for laughing.  But still, I love the bit about hating having sandwiches in the lunch.  I've heard that too. eyesroll.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

At first I read fir trees in black stilettos, and was trying to imagine a sexy fir tree image. Black silhouette I can picture... Have fun! I don't know if you have the same experience, but I get a terrific endorphin "high" from tattooing.

lol.gif  And Cheers to an endorphin high.  I get that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I made an appointment with Katie's ped for her well child physical (I can't believe her birthday is here already, and she's going to be 10!).

Good luck with the visit, I hope you can get some insights that lead you somewhere useful. 

RM - Good luck with your race!  I'd switch the LR to a post-race 3 miler too.

I had a nice massage today, he worked on my psoas a bit, fun.  I'm in a limbo between needing to strengthen my core and fearing that if I start working on it while I'm in pain I'll lock in the evil.  Sounds like a lame excuse not to do the core work when I see it in writing.    Anyway, now I'm fighting a cold and have to prep up some food to take to a potluck this evening so I will bow out here.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#406 of 414 Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM

real~The Lookout Mtn tri doesn't actually go UP Lookout. I think it's completely around the top. So yeah, I think you'd be fine. And there were SO many people in that OR yesterday, it was crazy! Everyone had a student, practically! Two patients (mom/baby orngbiggrin.gif), one dad, one anesthesiologist, two OB/GYNs, a scrub tech, a scrub tech student, an L&D nurse and her student (RN transitioning back after being out of the workforce), the neonatal nurse practitioner, the circulating nurse, and me. Whew! And it was a teeny OR, too!

jaygee~We still have three weeks of peds left, then med-surg II next block. Which could be interesting or could suck, totally dependent on what kind of unit I'm on...

OB is done. One clinical rotation closer to graduation! It's so bittersweet. I'm thrilled to have 24+ hours of my life every week back, but really sad to be done with this clinical. And depressed that it could be years before I get the opportunity to work in OB again. I hope that's not the case, but I would have to go and fall in love with one of the hardest specialties to get into. rolleyes.gif It was a good day. I got to take the mom/baby whose c-section I observed as my patients today and they were great. I also got a fantastic review from my preceptor, and a pretty darn good final evaluation, so I feel good about this rotation. If only it was enough to get me a job after graduation... orngtongue.gif

Back for more clinical tomorrow...it could be depressing, but we'll see. We have to do an ambulatory care day for peds, and mine is tomorrow. I'll be working in the oncology clinic. I chose this option (other options were a cardiovascular clinic or a medical "school" thing) because it's what my SIL does and I wanted to see what she does every day. At least it's "only" an 8 hour day, but I'll have to get my patient assignment for Thursday after I'm done.

Time for some homework before bed...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#407 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 AM
bec

I woke up at 2:30 in the morning to the puppy having diarrhea in his crate.  Ugh!  I was up for 45 minutes cleaning up the crate, the carpet, the pad in the crate.  Moved the crate to the kitchen (it was in our bedroom) in case he was still sick.  By the time I was able to get back to bed, I was totally awake (although exhausted, if that makes sense), and nauseated.  It took me a while to fall back to sleep.  DH slept through the entire thing.shake.gif  I'm soooooooo tired, and I still have a stain on the carpet to work on.  I am also watching a classmate of Abby's before and after preschool, so the chances of a nap are slim to none.

#408 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Eeeuuw, bec. So sorry! Nasty.

Not much time here. work is crazy.

FM this week: 5 miles monday morning, 3 miles yesterday with my students (great...some of them are up to going 2 miles with me at a clip!), 4.5 this morning -- gentle pace, quiet run. I miscalculated my training schedule by a week so I'm doing an extra week this week of general training and the end of next week is my half marathon. I am really not sure i"m up for a PR but you never know.

Have a great day mamas!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#409 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Bec- yuck.  Sorry you had to spend your night doing that!  I Hope you can get some rest today.  

Go, Nic!  I bet the kids are having a lot of fun with you.

No run today for me, probably.  It's below zero and a little windy.  The kids are at grandma's and so I feel like I should run, but I'm not going to worry about it.  I have a ton of prep to do for this craft show this weekend, anyway.

#410 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Oh, bec. Man. I'm sorry.

And mommajb - sounds like my days, sometimes. I'm pretty sure my daughter could be churlish and snotty about virtually anything I do, and every. single. time. I call her on it, no matter how gently, she bursts into tears. It makes me sad, but also so angry. <sigh>

I am quite excited about the tattoo and will certainly post a picture.  Even if it is not of sexy trees. smile.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#411 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM

i wasn't sure if there was a new post for the month of march or not, so i guess I'm just going to post in February

I haven't posted in months as i was in limbo as to what was going on with my knee. I finally got an official diagnosis of a torn meniscus, and I just had surgery to repair it 2 days ago. The surgeon though also told my husband i had significant  arthritis in my knee and maybe looking at a knee replacement by the time I'm 50 (so in the next 15+ years)

that's about it. it looks like it's going to be a lot longer to get back into running then i originally thought, so i wont be posting here anymore bringing everyone down with my knee troubles.

I am on facebook, if anyone really wants to keep up with me: kristine ****** joslyn is my listed name

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#412 of 414 Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Hey Kris , that's a rough diagnosis.  I hope it doesn't bring you down too much and make it hard to heal, who knows what new treatments for arthritis are right on the horizon?  And don't worry about sticking with the dingos when you aren't running, I (ahem) know that you aren't the only one.  And sometimes we're good for a laugh. 

So, anyone else in denial that it's March? 

RR: Nope, back and hips still hurt all.the.time. but beginning to think about how to fit in pilates to try and address the invalid-strength abs I'm sporting.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#413 of 414 Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM
bec

Well, it sure doesn't FEEL like March here!!!

#414 of 414 Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 AM
bec

New Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page