Dingos Running For Love in February! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
My mom would not use my (farm fresh) eggs because they are the 'wrong color.' (they are not all the same color! they come from actual real chickens!) eyesroll.gif

When my mom moved up here I stocked her kitchen with pantry stuff and also filled her fridge so she wouldn't have to start shopping right away.  Of course I also gave her a dozen eggs from our chickens and I thought she'd think it was fun if I made it the most colorful possible dozen.  WRONG!  She called up to tell me how startled she'd been when she opened the box.  Startled as in, 'frightened and upset'.  Oy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW View Post

JayGee- You're making me want a trainer... ;)

I want a trainer named Sven for some cross training too.

So, now that I've had my H2O Friendly iPod in use for a couple weeks I can say that although it is a kick to have something to listen to while doing laps, it is fussy and definitely eats into my workout when I need to stop now and again (and again and again and again) to fiddle with the earphones or try to find the playlist I thought I'd loaded.  Some of the fiddling is me wanting the Shuffle to work the way my Zen does and I'll get over that, maybe, if the thing will ever work again.  Right now iTunes has totally made my PC super glitchy and crashy and whether it's because I didn't download the latest update the first time it was suggested or because my iPod is just effed up, the thing isn't working, won't restore and has eaten up hours of my time at the computer while I try to fix it.  I'm definitely disappointed.  Even though I know intellectually that whatever the most advertised quality in a product is you can depend on that being the weakest aspect of it, I am still astonished at how much iTunes sucks ass and how bullied I feel by apple for forcing it down my throat.  splat.gif

Breathe.

Breathe in sat, breathe out nam.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Still pissed.

Anyway, I am thankful that I was not riding a ferry in the dark this morning on my way to that 25k trail run.  bag.gif  I do sort of vaguely want to get a run in today, but 3 miles would probably suffice. 

RM - Peace.gif for a successful conclusion to your ultramarathon move.

tortuga - Congrats on the job, that's exciting!

Jo - hug2.gifwool.gif

Po7 - I hope you can find a non-surgical answer.

Sorry for bailing a bit early on the personals, I'm too restless to keep still at the computer after having already spent an hour dealing with apple bs.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#62 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Hey all...

I'm so sorry to be so irregular with my posts. ATM there's no internet at the house, although hopefully that will be sorted by the end of this month. On one hand it's great because I don't get sucked in and waste time on the web. On the other hand it stinks because it's harder to keep up with the dingos and assorted online school assignments, etc. Oh well...I'm here today!

RR: No running or any exercise this week because of a bad chest cold. I can't wait for it to go away so I can get back to a. breathing normally, and b. my haphazard exercising "routine." I've switched to the elliptical for the past few weeks because of knee pain. Whenever I go up and down steps/run, there is pin-prick pain under my kneecaps. Lovely...oh well, perhaps I'm getting old after all. LOL

NRR: Plowing through school work this week to have it all in the mail by Monday. I have a couple new doula clients too which is grand.

February goal:

28 miles running/elliptical

Okay...now to go get caught up on everyone's news and activities... Happy Saturday!!

#63 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 AM

OMG, I ran and am a whole new woman, built from scratch, with good knees. orngbiggrin.gif Seriously, I feel pretty good, and estimate I ran 4.5m as my watch went out and I had to double back a bunch to stay on plowed trail.

I'm also in my "fat" clothes so am motivated to track my eating and running a bit more. Sigh.

I managed to schedule films for two classes next week so I'm light on the prep. I feel a little silly about it but my students have been doing lots of good reading and will now have a chance to fill in some of the narrative/historical details that they've been learning about.

Am praying for no! new! snow! days! so that my dear children can get back into a regular-groove schedule.

Nic, glad everything went smoothly.

Gaye, I'm excited for you too!

MM, really proud of you. Keep sharing your successes here!

Jealous of all the mamas with chickens!

Goals for Feb: IT band stretching/exercise every day; gradual increase to 15-20m/week; yoga 1x a week minimum. And register for spring half. biggrinbounce.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#64 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM

JayGee ~ I didn't know of a local place, but also wasn't all that natural when I lived there.  We did frequent Trader Joes and Whole Foods though.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN BEING A PART OF SECRET SPRINTER PLEASE PM ME YOUR LIKES (and dislikes or allergies so we can steer clear of those gifts) AND YOUR ADDRESS. I will try to have a match for you by next week -- mid-week?

Vinyasa Flow yoga this morning with an old friend.  Oh my word, I am going to feel it tomorrow but dang did it feel oh so good!!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#65 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM

I tried to post this morning and something happened midway through bringing me back out of the editor w/o posting the half of the message I had written.

I got a good workout in via a tough 10 mile run. Hopefully the weather will start to cooperate soon. After getting home my somewhat emotional day got even more emotional and I am fatigued. Dd1 is worrying me, dd2 is irritating me, dd3 needs a nap and dh and I are not seeing eye to eye on some happenings in our future.

MM, I too wanted commend you for all your efforts. Change is difficult and you are doing it. You are working so hard and experiencing some real success. Keep it up!

Penelope, joy.gif for knees that feel as god as new!

Plady, I totally get the tech issues. Totally. I have wasted more time this winter trying to recover from issues and starting all over and just giving up and losing all my photos that I never printed. The timespan on said photos is just before child #3 was born through this fall. Yes I am missing all the baby photos for my three youngset children because I am stupid. banghead.gif

JayGee, maybe Sven can help you work off some of those Dove hearts? Sven is actually the name of a boy I had the biggest crush on when I was 14 and 15. It makes me picture a boy that looks very much like my own 14 yo son rather than what the rest of you must be imagining. lol.gif

Nic, I wonder what your mom would say about the eggs from Easter Hens? I think my friend called them. She had hens that laid pretty pastel blue and green eggs all ready dyed for her Spring holiday. chicken3.gif

RM, you have some excitement! I hope your move happens and is smooth sailing.

Jo, I found your new blog and subbed via feed.

Gaye, you are making it through another term day by day and amazing m with what you take in stride and get done.

Po7, I hope you are feeling better, more like yourself, soon and without too much (more) trauma in finding the solution.

For those of you that have looked around at such things, do you find the cost of living calculator comparisons to be at all accurate in predicting things? I have something that is saying col is 125%, salary needs to be 50% higher but then says housing costs are 2.6 times higher and I am having trouble making sense of it despite the fact that I feel pretty agile with numbers.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#66 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM

tortuga--Hooray for the new job, and happy belated birthday!  You must be so relieved to have found something, and I'm so happy for you.

runningmommy--Yay for house paperwork!  I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Nic--I'm so glad your DD's surgery went well.  I hope that you'll be able to get the pain under control.

I am still fighting an allergic reaction to the chlorine on Thursday, which is a bummer.  It's nothing near as severe as it has been, though, so I'm going to continue swimming.

DS turns five on Monday, so today was his day to choose an activity.  He wanted to go to an art museum, so we ended up at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, which was really nice.  DH and I hadn't been there in years, DD went once when she was a baby, and DS had never been.  We didn't know it until we arrived, but just for belonging to our bank, we got in for free.  Hooray!  If only I had known that before I jumped through hoops to get a library discount pass.  It was surprisingly fun to visit with the kids, although of course they weren't interested in staying nearly as long as DH and I would have if we'd been alone.

When we got home, we had five letters to DD from our medical insurance company, informing her that she has been approved for: canthoplasty, removal of skin lesion, skin full graft procedure, skin tissue rearrangement, and another skin tissue rearrangement.  Well, that about covers everything her plastic surgeon could possibly want to do to her face this summer.  thumb.gif  Her birthmark is dramatically reduced, but we still have a long way to go.  This summer the focus will be her lower eyelid and eye socket, and touching up last summer's graft across her nose.  We are extremely grateful for an excellent surgeon who is a perfectionist (when we saw him a couple of weeks ago, he talked about fixing things we hadn't even thought were problematic), and we are especially grateful that we have health insurance that is going to pay for this surgery.  Now there's nothing to do on that front except wait for August.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of preparation to do this weekend.  DS requested an ice cream cake, so I need to hunt down our springform pan, crunch up a bunch of Oreos, find the fudge and M&Ms I've hidden, thaw some ice cream, and assemble the whole mess.  yummy.gif  I also have to bake a batch of cupcakes to send to school on Monday, and make some waffles and fresh whipped cream for Monday morning's birthday breakfast.

After the birthday festivities are over, I can focus on packing, because in a week we are getting the heck out of Massachusetts and heading down to Florida!  It is unfortunate we can only spend a week there, but it darn well better be warm.  Last year it was in the fifties.  angry.gif  I'm not even looking at weather reports yet.

Maybe this week I'll work out.  That would be a nice idea.  It seems as though we are expecting more snow, though, so I might have the kids at home again for a day or two.  Argh.  I can't seem to build up any momentum!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

#67 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

Areal~I'm pretty sure I saw your DH waiting for the elevator while we were on a break from class this morning. smile.gif

He's not hard to spot, with all that crazy hair and being so tall. Oh, and being one of the two or three male faculty members in the college. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

...come home and ride the trainer for an hour.  Why is it that typing that always makes me think I'm doing illicit things with a trainer..... named Sven!  Maybe I should name my bike Sven.....

biglaugh.gif Brilliant!

Nick-- lol.gif here about the bad words bit when she was given the sedative. Glad she came through ok.

RM--I agree that it's best to get more in than less when you can.

tortuga--yay for the job!

MM--your comment about knitting something other than diaper covers amused me. I have two pairs of socks to finish, and I can't wait to just knit a diaper cover. lol.gif

Plady--sorry about iTunes not working for you.

Demeter--hope you're feeling better soon.

La4--the art museum sounded fun. I keep wanting to do that here with my 6yo. Maybe this summer. And huge congratulations that you finally got the medical approvals from your insurance!

So, yesterday it wasn't 50* out, but it didn't matter because R came down with a stomach bug. Fun week! Today I was able to get out and run a couple of errands I'd planned to do during the week, so maybe I'll catch up yet.

RR: did 5 yesterday, including 2 miles of tempo and 10 hill repeats (in the dark after DH came home. And should have put in my yak trax because it was more icy and snowy than I'd expected). Tonight I'm hoping to do an exercise video. I hate videos, but I also hate the fact that I still have the stomach from when J was born and it doesn't look attractive under running tops. I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight, so I'm not sure why the stomach is there. Jillian Michael's 6-pack abs better make a difference, or I'll be forced to look for videos by trainers named Sven. wink1.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#68 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
bec

Hmmm, naming the bike Sven.  Love it (There are several smilies I would have inserted, but they aren't working right now).  Very naughty!

RR: I didn't run on Thursday, making Monday the last time I ran. I didn't do squat on Friday (and some squats would have been a good thing to do!), so I was feeling pretty antsy today. Abby had a birthday party at our community center (AKA, the gym), and I decided to use that opportunity as means and motive for getting a run in. It was a 2 hour party, and I decided, rather than do just the 7 mile long run I was planning, that I would run for the 2 hours and see where I was at. I was hoping for 10 miles. I also decided to run on the indoor track, rather than the treadmill. I just didn't have 2 hours on the treadmill in me. Just.Couldn't.Do.It! Anyway, the problem with the indoor track is that it is relatively small. I got around the mental issue of the 13 laps per mile, but after 9 miles, my hip was starting to really feel the strain of only turning to the left! My legs and lungs felt really good, and my pace had even picked up a bit in the last couple of miles. But, my hip was just hurting too much! So, I figured I'd run the last mile on the treadmill, but as I was starting, my phone rang with a call I needed to take, so I called it then. I stretched really well and went and picked up Abby from her party that was just starting to wrap up!

This is the longest run I've had since that fateful half marathon where I broke my leg, and it really felt good. It was a real confidence booster!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#69 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 05:21 PM

real: have you done the 6 pack abs?  It's tough in strange places.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#70 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM

I want six pack abs. I would even settle for a four pack lol.gif

My new trail shoes came in today!! My cough also settled deep into my lungs, so I'm waiting until morning to try then out.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#71 of 414 Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 PM

bec~bow.gif 9 miles on an indoor track?! That's impressive!

lol.gif about Sven. My bike is a year and a half old, and I still don't have a name for it. Mine is definitely a girl, though. orngtongue.gif

So, I spent 7 hours in the car today for 4, yes FOUR ski runs. rolleyes.gif I left my house in plenty of time to beat traffic, but for some reason, I still hit traffic (weirdly early in the drive) and then it started snowing HARD the further up in the mountains I got. It took me 4 hours to make what is normally a 2 hour drive. At least the snow was well worth it! Knee-deep powder. Ahhh... And then nearly 3 hours home. rolleyes.gif

I just about finished up the last bits of preparation for clinical on Monday, so tomorrow can just be FUN. MUST get a run in the morning, and from the looks of the weather, it will be on the treadmill at the Y. Sigh.

I am sooooo in for Secret Sprinter. I just hope I can manage to be a decent gifter!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#72 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM

I did it. I finally registered. Carmel Marathon, June 11.

drjen, could you please add me to the race list?
How is your transition coming along? There are so many angles to answer from inside your head, your patients, the doctors in your practice, your children and husband, buying and selling your home... I've been thinking baout it all when I read your workout updates.

bec, 9 indoor trackmiles is better than the dreadmill?

la4, that is great news from the insurance company! I really enjoy taking my children to the art museum. Their observances are s unedited. We don't go often enough but I am puling that idea to the front of my brain.

real, you get so much done running and otherwise, epecially given that you have a baby under one. bow.gif

gaye, have fun today!

feel better soon MelW

I like that a few of you are admitting to a little bit of Jillian in your repertoire. I worked through Making the cut at one point an felt too goofy to admit it to anyone at the time. bag.gif

I am not getting along with my new keyboard. It is causing more typos than usual.

I an jumping with excitement for secret sprinter. I fear I sent jennie a rather non-helpful list of likes and dislikes it was so generic. (I like to run?) Does anybody have the "survey" we used one year or some questions to throw out there? It might be helpful when trying to select gifts.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#73 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi to MelW! You are right, I'm Mel=Melissa. I hope you are feeling better soon and can try out your new shoes. What kind did you get?

Mommajb: Yay for registering for a marathon!!

Real: I'd like to try JM, too. I have been doing the ab workout from p90x, which leaves me sore for days, but not so much in the abs area, more in my front hipbone area from all the leg lift kinds of exercises. And I am totally with you on knitting socks. I have only ever finished 1 pair, ever, but I have probably 4 pairs started! I just lose steam after the first sock.

Bec = seriously, you just kicked out 9 miles JUST LIKE THAT! (sorry for shouting!) After all the time off, that is just flat-out amazing.

Gaye, that's a lot of driving for 4 runs, but I bet it was lovely in that fresh powder.
La4, mmmm, ice cream cake... waffles...  You are a very nice mom. That's great news with your insurance, and it sounds like you guys have the perfect doctor, too. So, lots of procedures in store for you guys this summer. I remember how nerve wracking it was, not touching the face, etc., but each year it seems it would get easier as she grows older. Good luck and keep us up-to-date.

Finally, after three days of sitting non-stop for work, I got a 3 mile run in today. And boy did I need it. I have got to work on doing a better job with balancing work with exercise and good diet. I also subsisted on crackers and coffee (and some chocolate) and feel accordingly. I have to rush to get something done in the next 3 hours, because we will be visiting friends for the superbowl tonight.

My MIL is doing pretty badly right now, unfortunately. Yesterday was filled with lots of phone calls, arrangements for DH to fly home, etc. I had a very nice e-mail from one of the moms from the preschool DS attended last year, both she and her husband are anesthesiologists at the hospital. MIL had to have an emergency procedure yesterday, and the mom who I know recognized her and contacted my FIL afterward and talked to my DH, too. It is just good to have someone who knows what is going on, medically speaking, and someone who also knows us all personally. Right now it's just a matter of her getting through these next through days with no further complications.  

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#74 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Wow this thread moves fast.  I have hesitantly decided to start posting here....

I just started running (very slowly jogging? lol) in November.  I am really enjoying it though.

Yesterday was 6km (just don't ask me how long that took ;) ).  Tomorrow will be about the same.  I only go every other day for now.

I finally got to use my Nike+ for the first time yesterday.  Very exciting!!!  Can't wait for th roads to be clear of the snow.  Yesterday my shoe spikes broke and my shoes were soaked from the snow.  Kinda threw off my momentum!

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#75 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
bec

Thanks, Mel.  I need to give myself that kind of positive talk.  I have so much negative chatter in my mind, it's hard to stay focused.

And, mommajb - I think the indoor track was marginally better than the dreadmill.  It may not be far, but at least I can see myself traveling some distance!  It made a difference.  At least it did yesterday,  another day? Who knows!

So, in answer to my question to myself as to what I was going to do for exercise, we got some more snow today!  So, I went over to a friend who isn't feeling well, and helped her shovel her driveway, and widen it out from the big snow we got the other day!  We also shoveled the snow off her trampoline.  We were laughing at the absurdity of what we were doing (but there was too much snow and weight on it to just let it sit), until we thought about what good exercise it was!  Imagine shoveling snow on a bosu ball!

ETA: Welcome Jamie!  Speed doesn't matter here!  We have some really super speedy mamas, and some like me that are super slow.  It's all running, all jogging, and all good! 

#76 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Welcome, Jamie!

mel~goodvibes.gif for your MIL. That's got to be tough, being so far away. hug.gif
Quote:
Does anybody have the "survey" we used one year or some questions to throw out there? It might be helpful when trying to select gifts.
yeahthat.gif

6 miles, on the hamster wheel at the Y, DONE. It started off a little rough, but I kind of found a groove after the first couple of miles. I even managed to bump up my pace to finish it off to a quite speedy (for me) rate. I actually even had the thought that if I *have* to do my 10 miler next weekend on the treadmill, it might not be COMPLETELY awful. Sigh. Stupid weather.

And now, time to get showered up and head out for the super bowl party. Hopefully it's fun. It's one of those where I know the hosts and maybe one or two others out of the 20some that rsvped on the evite that they were coming. I really hate walking into those situations, ya know? It could be awesome, or it could be me, sitting in a corner by myself.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#77 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

real: have you done the 6 pack abs?  It's tough in strange places.

I'm downloading it to iTunes right now. Hopefully I'll start it tonight. I like your plan of doing as many minutes as you can stand in case it proves to be really tough.

bec--WTG on the 9 miles. Indoor tracks are not my strength. Nor are TMs for that matter.

Mel--thinking of your MIL.

mommjb--yay for signing up? Are you excited?

On socks: I love to knit them but J loves to nurse more...and the two are mutually exclusive at the moment. I've almost got the toe finished on sock #2 (toe-up), so I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the month. I have the most time to knit when I'm commuting to campus, but last week's snow day meant more lost time. I have fantasies of going to a knit night or even just to Starbucks for two hours and knitting and drinking coffee in blissful peace, but the schedule doesn't seem to have time for that. (Also, I'm totally wiped out emotionally from R's two mega hissy fits yesterday plus the two snow days and one sick day and J nursing all.the.time so I think I just need to adjust my attitude--aka mama needs a run. Or a spa weekend.)

I'd like to run 8 today, but really I'd like someone else to run it for me. Any takers? redface.gif No? Off to strap on the yak trax. I don't know if they plowed the trail, but I can manage 3 outside and then do the rest on the TM if necessary.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#78 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!

Mel, sorry your MIL isn't doing well. Hugs and prayers.

Gaye, 6 miles on the dreadmill! Bowing to your persistence. By 3 miles I want to kill myself or someone else. Not fun.

Bec, way to crank out some miles!

JamieB, welcome to Club Dingo!

MommaJB, I so wish I could join you at that marathon. What fun would that be?! Sounds gorgeous too.

Kicked out 10 beautiful, serene miles today along a lovely beach road. Lots of people fish frying and bbq'ing on their private beaches for the SuperBowl so the smells that were wafting...yum. Pandora played me some great tunes (although I detest my headphones, so I bought new ones after when I went to Target). I needed the time. I am going through a confusing episode right now and needed to think. No conclusions but at least my soul feels more peaceful.

Off to finish my chicken pot pie and possibly sneak one of the minicupcakes I bought for dessert. Shhh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#79 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM

RR ~ swam 2900 yds (in an hour!) with the tri club at the Y, ran 2 miles on the track, then played with the kids for an hour in the pool.  I am beat!  I realized that I swim much harder when a coach is telling me what to swim and when to leave the wall.  I didn't get more than a 10 second rest interval between any set the entire workout.  The worst ~ 5x50 kick.  I hate kicking.

Off to chow down on Superbowl food!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#80 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM

RR: A nice 4m in the cold and wind... might have gone five but I was ready to be done as the air got cooler and cooler.

Dh and the kids are watching the Super Bowl, so I suppose I should go make dinner as I promised!

I'm not quite ready for tomorrow... sigh, weekends go so quickly.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#81 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Hi to MelW! You are right, I'm Mel=Melissa. I hope you are feeling better soon and can try out your new shoes. What kind did you get?

They're New Balance trail runners. And were worth the wait for an AA width. I've been convinced in the past (and this saleswoman tried again) that I can wear a different shoe I've regretted it.  I'm sorry to hear about your MIL and hope that you continue to get the support that you need.

mommajb~ Congrats on registration!! And good luck with your superbowl party.

Nic~ Your run sounds glorious!

I managed a 30 minute run today and didn't cough up too much grossness. I've always run more by time than by distance, but have been contemplating using the GPS on my phone to track some of my trails. Any iPhone app suggestions? I've heard of problems with battery drain, and also some that use data both of which I'd like to avoid- other than that I just need something that works in Canada (a couple of programs I've read don't work properly here for some reason), isn't too expensive, and I'd prefer to be able to get distances in metric (though needing to convert isn't such a concern). The local mountain biking group does most of the trail building and maintenance around here, but they don't seem to care about putting distances on their maps. My current "method" is running in another forest with known distances and comparing how my pace feels to guesstimate. If my husband and I are reasonably close with our distance guess, we agree that that's how long a trail is. Super-scientific, right? ;)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#82 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the votes of confidence orngbiggrin.gif

La4 - it must be such a relief to have insurance for your DD.

bec - awesome 9 miles on the indoor track. I ran a PR 2-mile on an indoor track my senior year of high school...oh, to be in that shape again smile.gif

mommajb - congrats on registering for the marathon!

Mel - sorry about your MIL hug.gif

Jamie - welcome!

RR: Started week 7 c25k today. Contemplating cramming 2 weeks into one again this week since I'm working out 6 days regardless. An hour a day (half running, half biking) is what is taking this weight off...Saturday's are recovery for me. I think I can manage it if I take it slow and don't push this week.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#83 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 PM
bec

I've been using RunKeeper on my iPhone, but it does use the GPS and does seem pretty battery intensive.  I wouldn't use it for longer runs, but for anything under an hour, it seems fine.

JayGee - Awesome swim!  Do you mind sharing what your workout is?  I am positive I couldn't do that distance in an hour, but would love a challenging, new workout.  I'm a little bored with what I've been doing lately, and need something different than swimplans.

#84 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

JayGee - Awesome swim!  Do you mind sharing what your workout is?  I am positive I couldn't do that distance in an hour, but would love a challenging, new workout.  I'm a little bored with what I've been doing lately, and need something different than swimplans.

I think the main reason I crammed so much yardage in is because of the insanely short rest intervals between sets.  Here's what we did (as I recall):

300 free warmup

4x75 (1st 25 breathe right, 2nd 25 breathe left, 3rd 25 fingertip drill)

4x75 (1st 25 breathe left, 2nd 25 breathe right, 3rd 25 fingertip drill)

2x75 (1st 25 breathe every 2nd stroke, 2nd 25 breathe every 3rd stroke, 3rd 25 breathe every 5th stroke)

10x100 free with :10 rest interval

5x50 kick (1st 1/2 of each length all out, second half of each length recover ~ same for the pull and swim sets below)

5x50 pull

5x50 swim

100 cool down

I think that works out to 2900, but I could be off.

Mel ~ I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL hug2.gif

MM ~ keep on going!  You're doing great!

tjsmama ~ 9 miles on the indoor track?! bow.gif

mommajb ~ way to bike the bullet and get that race on your calendar

Tomorrow everyone goes back to school/work.  I am going straight to the Y for a 45 minute run and a 45 minute spin class.  I have to say, I'm really enjoying these harder workout days.  If I could just stay out of that #$^#$ pantry!

#85 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

jaygee~That was bec, not me!!! I did a wimpy 6 on the hamster wheel. winky.gif

Well, ladies...here we go...OB rotation tomorrow morning! SOOOO excited! Except for the complete lack of sleep that I'll be getting for the next four weeks! lol.gif

#86 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM

bec - wow.  that is one heck of a lot of turning left!  (13x9xT where T=the number of turns in the track  -- anyway, a lot!)

tjsmama - good for you for getting your run in.  and I hope OB is awesome.  I have to admit I get anxious just thinking about being in a position where I'm not in charge at a labor, though.  If I had to put up with answering to some of the docs I've seen, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

Nick - old news now, but I'm glad your dd did well, and that even if she knows the bad words, she isn't using them!

Mel - sorry to hear about your MIL.  I'm glad you got a little inside word at least from the anesthesiologist.  It's so hard when you're so far away.

JayGee - that's a lot of swimming!  I'm proud of myself on the rare occasion I swim 500.  One of these days I'd like to get better at swimming.

(other)Mel - I've used mapmyrun on my phone, but I don't know if it works in Canada.  It's fairly battery intensive, too, but I have run 8 with it (which for me is like an hour and 20 min) without running out of battery. 

RR - I just finished 8+ on the treadmill (8 miles at 6 mph, with a warm up and cool down for 8.68 total)  I had to stop with 6 min of the run to go to make a mad dash for the bathroom due to a GI emergency.  I can't remember the last time that happened - but at least I was at home on my own treadmill, although I startled my dh making my frantic run through the bedroom to our bathroom since my ds was in the tub in the family bathroom!  My life feels too unsettled for signing up for races, but I really need to figure it out and get training for something.

NRR - My girls and I went fabric shopping yesterday and got fabric for my little dd's flower girl dress for oldest ds's wedding, fabric for my mother-of-the-groom dress, and fabric for Catherine's prom dress.  It's going to be fun making all those pretty things. 

Going to work everyday still means facing a lot of unhappy people.  It's a good thing I run, or I'd need therapy.  I might need it anyway!  Dh is busy doing whatever house shopping he can narrow down on the internet, and checking out schools.  He's probably going to go for a quick trip himself to look at neighborhoods, then we'll all go over spring break to look at houses.  I get to go back the first weekend in April to attend a conference on residency program (mostly about teaching) that my new job is paying for me to attend.  I'm excited about that.  I'm not excited about packing up this house and getting it ready to put on the market.  Blech.

#87 of 414 Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM

serial posting to say I finally put the race list and results here (on the 6th of the month!)  mommajb - I went to add the Carmel Marathon and it was already on the list - maybe you told me already you intended to enter?

#88 of 414 Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM

RR ~ 3 miles on the treadmill, 50 minute cycling class.  Now, for a much needed shower!

#89 of 414 Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM

DINGOS!!!!  We received written acceptance on the house we want AND have renters that are AWESOME for the house we are in (that might also buy, and they want to fix up the house not tear it up!!!)!!!!!!  whoo hoo!!  So, on to schedule the inspection, turn on utilities for said inspection, write a new check for the earnest money (since the other is almost a year old). 

RR: didn't get run in yesterday (remember my words of those "less" days?  they got me!)  and today is rest/xt so I am off to do a celebratory body weight work out.  Cleaned all morning and last night, need to make 4 phone calls, so now I'm doing a little something for relaxation.  :)

#90 of 414 Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, RM! Great news!

Giving you a blessing for only happy times in your new home, and an easy transition.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page