Dingos Running For Love in February! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 414 Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, dingos. I am so far behind right now. I am trying to read along, but not really keeping up. bag.gif

On bras, Moving Comfort, for sure. I love mine. Even though they are totally worn out and starting to cause chafing. Alas, I didn't use my pro-deal discount and I think it expired 12/31. Sigh. greensad.gif

Pretty good day today on peds. We had a really good preceptor, who we are now going to be with the rest of the rotation. My kiddo was super cute, and had an interesting condition that I learned a lot from. And my classmate (who is pretty much my other half, we're paired together for almost everything for our OB and peds rotations) texted me after we got home tonight that she loves working with me. love.gif

And now I just finished my take-home test for OB and tried to cram some studying in for the in-class test in the morning. I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty, but I'm too exhausted to attempt to study any more tonight. Blech.

If only I could get a lunchtime run in tomorrow, but alas, I have a meeting with my clinical group (like I don't spend enough time with them as it is orngtongue.gif) to try to coordinate our group project that's due next Friday. rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#242 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Jooj ~ I'm an Aries orngbiggrin.gif!  We do seem to live parallel lives sometimes, don't we.

kerc ~ from my experience with temping and charting, I actually ovulate the day AFTER I feel the pain in my lower abdomen.  In fact, last month I had a similar experience where I felt mittelschmerz pain the day I started getting the flu, but my CM never dried up like it usually does.  Then, about 5 days later when I started feeling better, more mittelschmerz, disappearing CM and yes, finally ovulation (on day 19!!!)  Your illness could have prevented the follicle from releasng the egg, instead waiting until you felt better.

My kids are off school today for a sort of mini-February break.  We've got a ton to do, but the Y is definitely included on the list.  DH is crabby because he slept poorly (again), but then got mad when I suggested that playing Angry Birds was probably not the best way to wind down for the night.  He's also having problems hearing out of one ear (a longstanding injury from all those years in the cockpit of transport jets) and has ringing in that ear.  The ENT put him on prednosone for 12 days, and that's also messing with his sleep.  Poor guy, but I wish he wouldn't take it out on us.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#243 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 AM

OK. I'll check out the underarmour and moving comfort bras. Finances are tight here to, so I may have to keep wearing the Nike uniboob doubled-up bras for awhile yet wink1.gif

RM ~ glad the bank is paying for the pipes

Jo ~ goodvibes.gif for you and your DH and WTG with your kids' conferences!

kerc ~ I have TCOYF. I just haven't read it yet redface.gif I think you probably ovulated on CD11 like you thought and CD18 is probably just a result of your illness, but I'm not an expert. That's just what I would expect of my body.

RR: 2.75 miles on the treadmill yesterday at a 9:49 pace. I started really slow after my warm up and progressed through the entire 28 minute run to where I finished the last 3 minutes at an 8:57 pace. After that, I did 45 minutes on the bike. I still feel good today. smile.gif Next week is the last week of c25k for me. I think I will do the bridge to 10k (B210K) after that, a 6 week program to get you running a 10k. I'll have 6 weeks to think of what I want to do next...

NRR: DS has his first OT appointment today at 12:30. After or during that, I'm going to be calling one of my instructors that I've never met to talk about possibilities for my public health practicum. I have been delaying this for over a year now. It's the last thing I need to graduate with my MPH, but I have that stupid negative inner monologue telling me that I'm not experienced or educated enough to do this. My grades have been fine in this program, but the courses have been spread out and I've had three kids with total mommy-brain in the process. It's all been online so I'm nervous to work outside of virtual reality.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#244 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM

kerc, I swear I am having the same exact stuff. I was right on with the full moon last time, and then spent this last week spotting (since Sunday, which is totally weird for me on Mirena--usually only 1-2 days of spotting each month). Had major mittleschmerz this time, too.

Taking kids to the Y this AM. They have been whiny, annoying, picking at each other, nagging me, interrupting my work, etc. etc. since they got up. Ugh.

OK, JayGee...it's not our signs. Just our lives.

Did I mention I hate my laptop? It's 2/3 the reason I can't participate much in the convo. Hate it.

#245 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Did I mention I hate my laptop? It's 2/3 the reason I can't participate much in the convo. Hate it.

I hope you are getting a new one. Mac. as a part of the move.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#246 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
kerc ~ from my experience with temping and charting, I actually ovulate the day AFTER I feel the pain in my lower abdomen.  In fact, last month I had a similar experience where I felt mittelschmerz pain the day I started getting the flu, but my CM never dried up like it usually does.  Then, about 5 days later when I started feeling better, more mittelschmerz, disappearing CM and yes, finally ovulation (on day 19!!!)  Your illness could have prevented the follicle from releasng the egg, instead waiting until you felt better.

ok ok. But I think I ovulated before being sick? The scientist in me wants to just put a little time-release camera in there so I can get a snapshot to say what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Postkerc, I swear I am having the same exact stuff. I was right on with the full moon last time, and then spent this last week spotting (since Sunday, which is totally weird for me on Mirena--usually only 1-2 days of spotting each month). Had major mittleschmerz this time, too.

Maybe its an aging thing. But it ticks me off to no end. Just when you feel like you know what is going on: bam something thrown in there that makes your body feel not your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post
kerc ~ I have TCOYF. I just haven't read it yet redface.gif I think you probably ovulated on CD11 like you thought and CD18 is probably just a result of your illness, but I'm not an expert. That's just what I would expect of my body.

I have TCOYF. Seriously why do they not pass this book out in high school. Ok maybe just the intro to how all this stuff works. Sooooo helpful.

So what I think is going on is that when I ovulate a little blip of blood is released. But why 2 times? Where's my owner's manual? Oh yeah, this body was produced in 1975, the owner's manual is obsolete.

#247 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM

RR: 8 miles on TM due to time contraints but got 'er done.  Upped the pace to make the time and it all felt great.  picked up ds3 from kindy in my running clothes then hopped on the trampoline with him, so much fun! 

NRR: mtg at school for ds1's 504 plan, testing for special ed is next so he can have an IEP.  I've showered, eaten, now am returning emails, phone calls, etc. 

#248 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

ok ok. But I think I ovulated before being sick? The scientist in me wants to just put a little time-release camera in there so I can get a snapshot to say what is going on.

Oh yeah, this body was produced in 1975, the owner's manual is obsolete.

No kidding on that time release camera!  I'd love to see what's going on in there too!  You think your owner's maunal is obsolete!  Mine was produced in 1968.  It's warranty ran out a couple of years ago LOL!

RM ~ great job on the run.  You're amazing, Mama.  Good luck at the 504 meeting for your DS.

NRR ~ fun morning here with all the kids at home.  Two more landscape contractors came out to look at our "dirt hill" yard.  Kids slid down dirt hill for an hour.  I mopped the kitchen after said children walked through a million times with dirt hill feet.  Read my new issue of Clean Eating.... while mucking down the last of DD2's cupcake!  I've got one more landscaper coming out at 3:00, and then I'm going to the Y, come hell or high water.  Must attack Mt. Laundry, before it multiplies, again.

#249 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hmmm, I always manage to find an owners manual ±10 years at the library.  Did you try there?  Otherwise, check ebay, craigslist, etc...

That worked for my Bernina...

Lisa, good luck with the meeting.  Is he headed off to middle school next year?  Where do you stand on the idea of homeschooling?

Mel, How are educational issues going in your house?  Any motion or progress?

I continue to read up on Montessori and schooling for my kids.  I don't think there is a good answer for them. :(

On the "one dish meal" approach.  DH and I did that more or less for the last 10 years.  In January I took over grocery shopping and 90% of the cooking.  I've started preparing meals where half the plate is green with minimal sauce:  steamed/sauted veggies, raw veggies, salad.. .  I've lost 10 pounds and DH is down 5.  It keeps me making salads.

I skipped my run last night.  I did some yoga instead, but I gotta keep getting out there.

#250 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
bec

I did a half hearted 40 minutes on the bike trainer today.  Barely even broke a sweat.  Why is it, I just can't commit to it?  I would be going all out for hours on end if I was outside on my bike.  Anyway, I also got a mile walk with the dogs and the kids (who had a half day today). 

And, I came home to a WONDERFUL surprise from my secret sprinter!!!  Which makes me feel so guilty for not getting my package out yet.  I have stuff for it, as I've been looking for the last couple of weeks, but need to put it together and get to the post office.  Again, just getting there is so tough!  Ugh!  Anyway, I have yummy coffee (that I'm about to make for myself), a great book with stories of women running together luxlove.gif (which I was reading while sitting out on the driveway while the kids rode their bikes), and some very luxurious looking body lotion!!  It was such a bright point to my week!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#251 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
bec

I wanted to run something by you wise ladies.  Katie has been begging for earrings for her birthday.  This has intensified in the last week as one of her spelling words is "earring".lol.gif  Anyway, DH and I have been worn down and are going to consent and let her get them.  I think she's old enough, mature enough to care for them, and understands the pain involved, etc.  My question is, is it all right to take her to Claire's to get it done, like she wants?  What is the actual likelihood that something will go wrong?  Reactions, opinions, concerns?  Discuss!

#252 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

I wanted to run something by you wise ladies.  Katie has been begging for earrings for her birthday.  This has intensified in the last week as one of her spelling words is "earring".lol.gif  Anyway, DH and I have been worn down and are going to consent and let her get them.  I think she's old enough, mature enough to care for them, and understands the pain involved, etc.  My question is, is it all right to take her to Claire's to get it done, like she wants?  What is the actual likelihood that something will go wrong?  Reactions, opinions, concerns?  Discuss!

Ask mamabeth. I think she had M's ears done recently. Or at least there was discussion about it here (or on fb).

#253 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM

I am getting my runs done and doing them exactly as called for on the plan but my eating - Oh my. I think I need to try Geo's method as dh is expressing a desire to trim back down to where he was in his thirties.

From dd1, a mother approached me at swimming about getting our daughters together. In checking it out with dd1 here is our conversation.

Is she smart?
How smart does she have to be?
Well, can she carry on a conversation? Does she read books?
Where have you met people so dim they can't carry on a conversation?
eyesroll.gif They're everywhere Momma! then bawling.gif

Ah, 12 year old hormones have finally kicked in.

From ds2, he is wondering if little bo peep would lose chickens if she had some.

ETA, bec, good luck and have fun when you get it all decided!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#254 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Bo-peep would probably also lose chickens. They tend to stick with the sheep. However, as the sun set, they would all come back to the barn.

We did Piercing Pagoda. It was totally no big whoop and the young ladies working there were really great. Dd did it when she was 6. Another 6yo was there and offered her stuffed toy for dd to hold if she needed it. It was a sweet moment.

kerc, it is totally aging. I know 3 years ago my sister was complaining of similar insanities. She's my early warning shot. I just have to pay attention.

Ran ~4mi with above-mentioned sister at the Y. Kids worked out with friends and cousins, then swam. Will do it again tomorrow morning. I'm glad for the weekend. No move-related emails or calls.

Sent our house kitty to a new home this afternoon. He didn't seem too freaked out at all. I hope they're a match made in heaven.

Geo, I do better when there is that salad option too. I also make salad seconds a dessert when I have the chance. I should probably do that.

#255 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Tomorrow I go home, to Massachusetts, from Florida.  I'm grouchy and have my first headache of the week.

It's been a lovely vacation; we're staying with my parents in their time-share.  They are a little frazzled with my kids around, as they have forgotten how it was to have little kids and my brother and I were never as volatile as my newly-five-year-old DS is.  He can scream for half an hour straight over not having a quarter for the gumball machine.  It's charming.  irked.gif  My mom keeps marveling about my patience in dealing with him, and I keep explaining that it's just survival--anything other than calm stubbornness on my part escalates things.  We've had a couple of major blowups, but not enough to dim my enthusiasm about our vacation.  I've been SO happy this week!  We've had time on the beach, long walks, lots of meals out, quiet time in the evenings with my parents, and running in the sunshine!  DH and my dad have both spent time in the pool with my kids, so I've been able to avoid the chlorine completely.  My mom is knitting my kids socks, which they find delightful, and my dad hunted down some of those balsa wood gliders that they put together and have been launching off of our balcony.  I love seeing my kids relate to my parents.

Anyway, sorry for no personals.  I'm spending lots of time decompressing and reading books and not so much time on the internet.  This is probably a healthy habit I should (but probably won't) continue to cultivate at home.

Hmmm, need to empty the refrigerator before we check out in the morning.  I'd better get to work on the half-bottle of wine left in there.  drink.gif  Tomorrow is already going to be a cranky day; I might as well go all the way, right?

#256 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Thank you SS!  I found a sweet package in my mailbox this morning with a new pen (!LOVE OFFICE SUPPLIES!) and a little notebook that will be perfect for logging miles/food/random thoughts.  I love that kind of thing, and oh, I chowed down my lara bar immediately too. :)  And to my SS, I'm glad that someone else is running behind, I have to just go to the PO, it's not so hard right?  Everything else is ready to roll.  It's coming sprintee, it's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
The ENT put him on prednosone for 12 days, and that's also messing with his sleep.  Poor guy, but I wish he wouldn't take it out on us.

Oh I feel your pain, and his.  Dh took prednisone a while back for back pain or allergies or something and it made him nearly suicidal.  Cranky and depressed doesn't even begin to cover it.  Evil evil stuff.

RM - Nice job getting 8 in on the DM!

RR: Nothing today but for the record I did swim yesterday, about 2200 yds.  I also did 4 minutes of treading water as hard as I could (keeping shoulders as far out of water as possible with just legs) at the end and felt some good burning.  I think I'll have to incorporate that whenever I have a lane to myself because it was a good interval.

Geo - Yes, thanks to your wise influence I've been getting salad out each night this week.  And using it as the seconds option.  Of course poor dd asked for seconds after I'd already put away the main course last night, I said she could have salad, next thing I see her going by with a bowl of rice and another pork chop and I have to admit not playing it cool.  redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

On the "one dish meal" approach.  DH and I did that more or less for the last 10 years.  In January I took over grocery shopping and 90% of the cooking.  I've started preparing meals where half the plate is green with minimal sauce:  steamed/sauted veggies, raw veggies, salad.. .  I've lost 10 pounds and DH is down 5.  It keeps me making salads.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#257 of 414 Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:

I have TCOYF. Seriously why do they not pass this book out in high school. Ok maybe just the intro to how all this stuff works. Sooooo helpful.
yeahthat.gif Seriously. I had that exact thought when I read it before TTC DS. I think it should be required reading for my OB class. But of course, it's not.

One more week of insanity, in the books! And I am officially half-way through the month of crazy. Three 12 hour clinical days, one clinical prep worksheet, 9 medication cards, 10 hours on campus today, three tests, a care plan, and a clinical log. That's all this week. rolleyes.gif

The good news was that I got a LOT done tonight so that hopefully I can get my second care plan done tomorrow (it's not due for two weeks, but I'm going to have ZERO extra time the week it's due). And then a group meeting on Sunday to work on our presentation for next week. The bad news is that I semi-bombed this morning's exam. I mean, not terrible, but not nearly as well as I thought I should do. There were several questions up for discussion though that I'm hoping will get tossed out, which would make it tolerable. Is it bad that I'm a little irked.gif that I got a 95 on my mid-term? bag.gif I honestly wouldn't be, except that it was open book, and I took over 2 hours to do it, trying to find the exact wording of every question...

And now, I am going to sleep in. As long as I want. And then go for a run. Gasp. What a concept. And somewhere in there, I need to go buy a birthday present for a party on Sunday, go grocery shopping, find some goodies for my SS, and as my aunt just reminded me on FB, buy/send birthday cards for my mom and sister...sigh.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#258 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 AM
bec

I totally agree with TCOYF as being required reading for high school!!!  I intend to make it so for my girls, and also make them chart their cycles for a few months, so they [i]know[/i] their own cycles.  I thought myself well educated into how my fertility worked, and was astonished at how much I learned when I read it when TTC my middle!

I have 8 miles planned for today.  Most of the snow is melted, so they will be outside! 

La - That vacation sounds wonderful!  I'm so glad you have had a good time and enjoyed your decompression!  It makes it so much easier to have a relaxing vacation when there are other adults around to help with child wrangling.  I hope you have a good trip back.

Plady - I will get to the PO, if you do! As far as the 2nds thing, I probably would have lost my stuff as well over that.  Not so much for the food choices, but because my directions had been ignored.  I've gotten pretty tired and done with children completely ignoring/arguing with everything I say!

Gaye - Busy, busy, busy!!!  Don't beat yourself up over one test score.  You have been so rocking this program!

#259 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post As far as the 2nds thing, I probably would have lost my stuff as well over that.  Not so much for the food choices, but because my directions had been ignored.  I've gotten pretty tired and done with children completely ignoring/arguing with everything I say!

Yes yes yes! That stuff makes me nut.gif and Cuss.gif.

We have a 12yo who lives across the street. I'm grooming her into being a nighttime babysitter for us (and a morning run babysitter this summer). She's coming over in about 20 minutes.

#260 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Food habits are surprisingly tricky things.  We've been working on DD's food habits - eating enough in a sitting, and accepting a variety of foods - with a focused approach on learning the skills at every meal.  After two and a half YEARS, we're up to eating some veggies in their virgin state and chicken but only if unadulterated by things like flavor.

Quote:

We have a 12yo who lives across the street. I'm grooming her into being a nighttime babysitter for us (and a morning run babysitter this summer). She's coming over in about 20 minutes.

Smart move.  We're also working on that with our now 13 year old neighbor, but she's shaping up to be one of those popular kids who is involved in 10000 activities with school, church, and scouts.  So she's hard to schedule. 

8 miles on the agenda for this afternoon.  Then I need to record the kid's growth chart onto something else because we may have to destroy ours when we get a new fridge on Monday.  Plus menu + shopping + committee reports + DD's homework + library trip + probably a few things I'm forgetting.

#261 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 07:46 AM

La4: it sounds like it was a lovely vacation for everyone. Hard to see it end, I'm sure.

Bec: Yay for 8 outdoor miles! And on the earring thing, I'll just zip my lips. If you recall, I'm the mom who had to have her DD's earrings surgically removed from her earlobes. bag.gif We did it at a jewelry store that people in town recommended. Claire's is probably fine, though!

Kerc: good luck with the neighbor kid. Having a nearby babysitter is invaluable!

Geo: we also had a great babysitter who steadily added more activities and groups to her schedule as she went through high school. We kind of had to wean ourselves off of her over the years and it was hard to see her go off to college!

And thanks for asking about school. The pressure was off of DD after report cards - that was just a bad combination for her, the report card along with the letter that she didn't qualify for our county's gifted and talented program. She doesn't care about a title, but watches her friends get to go to a special class and feels left out and *dumb* (her words!). So, she is involved in a break-out math group during school, which helps her quite a bit.

You know, all in all, I am feeling like her needs are being met, to a certain extent. I feel that one of the central issues is that DD has a hard time concentrating on what is important in the classroom. I spend time in there every couple of weeks and notice that the teacher talks all.the.time, sometimes about important information (the teaching part) and sometimes about completely irrelevant information (a side conversation about one of the kid's pets or something). Then this class is relatively unruly, there are always several kids up and around, talking, etc. and the teacher has to deal with that, too. In auditory terms, it is simply chaotic, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I think that it is no wonder she can't follow the main theme of whatever subject is being taught. But other kids are able to focus, so maybe I am making excuses, I don't know. I just want to figure out what will help her master the situation that is there, not try to get her out of the situation, IYKWIM.

Weather is great here, too. I finally got out for 3 this morning. I did not want to get out there, but it was really nice and easy. I felt that I could have just gone on and on. Ahhh...

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#262 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Personals later. Reporting on my race today, 10K in 1:01:42. Not a PR, but since it was my first trail race -- Oscar Scherer State Park "Scrub J 10K" that was ok. Tough course, mostly mushy sand and some trails with soft pine needles (that hid lots of holes). Considering the course and the fact there was only one water stop at mile 2.5 with temps in the 70's I was pretty happy with my time. Came back filthy with sand and dust up my nose, in my ears, in my mouth and all over my legs, face, and arms. Mark of a warrior, boo-yah! 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#263 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
bec

Melissa - I have been thinking of you and your daughter's experience!!!  That's one of the things that I am worried about.  Do you think it was caused by the place that did the piercing, or did other things factor into it?

Geo - I love the perspective you give us on food issues.  It has certainly opened my eyes and sensitivity to kids and their eating habits and how to gently guide them to healthy choices.

Babysitter - Our babysitter became one of those super involved in everything, Soccer super star kind of kids, and we barely see her now.  The thing is, all the things that make her such a great kid and super involved are the same things that made her a great babysitter!  I guess I wish she needed spare cash more often!

#264 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM

RR ~ ran 5.1 this morning in 46:35.  For anyone who doesn't mind music with Christian overtones, I strongly recommend Toby Mac's album Tonight.  Every single song makes you want to RUN!!!!!  DS downloaded it onto his iPod for me and it really moved me along.  Great run!  And can I tell you how wonderful it feels for me to be able to say that 21 months post-injury joy.gif.

Nic ~ that is a GREAT time for a trail race.  Congrats!

bec ~ glad you got your nice long run in too.

babysitters ~ my BEST babysitter ever was our nextdoor neighbor from 2003-2007.  She was 13 when she started just watching Jacob for an hour or two, usually with her 12 year old sister and her Mom right next door.  Now, 8 years later, she's a real family friend and STILL babysits when she comes home from college for breaks. I used to call her and say, "Mama needs a run!" and she'd come over for an hour so I could clear my head with a couple of miles out on my own.

#265 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 09:33 AM
bec

I haven't gotten it in yet!  I have to get the kids from their classes, have a bite for lunch and then go.  I hope to report a nice run, though!orngtongue.gif

#266 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 PM
bec

And, now I can report a wonderful 8 miles!!! orngbiggrin.gif  It was so nice outside!  Most of the snow is melted away, so I was able to run on one of my favorite out and back routes (it is usually filled with snow from the plows, but was clear today).  It has some decent hills, but also some flat, and the best part is that it is mostly downhill on the way home, so it feels fast and good when you are feeling a little tired.  I maintained around a 11:25 pace throughout, and was only wishing I had my gloves for about a mile on the way home (heading into the wind).  I very much prefer to run outside.  It is so much more fulfilling to have actually GONE someplace!  It doesn't feel like such a useless act.  Anyway, now I'm home with the rest of the day ahead of me!  I'm going to shower and then whip the kids into a rousing game of Monopoly!

#267 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Do you think it was caused by the place that did the piercing, or did other things factor into it?

No, it wasn't that. She had switched from her gold posts to a pair of "fashion" earrings (sterling silver, but not really nice ones). She tightened them too much by pushing the back too far onto the post. No infection, no pain, and the earrings could always be turned. But now I know that the backs need to be checked that they are not on too tightly. A friend told me that her mother would always check that there was a fingertip-width between the earring and the back, and that gives enough room for the earlobe.  Most nice posts, though, have safety backs that can not be tightened too much, so I think the problem is mainly with the cheaper fashion earrings.

Can I also tell you, my kids would heartbeat.gif you with your monopoly afternoon.

Wow, Nick- you are so truly tough!! One lousy water stop at 2.5 miles?? I would have expired.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#268 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
bec

I missed your race report, Nic.  Bad assed warrior mama, indeed!!!

Melissa - I was reading about making sure the backs are not on too tight.  I will definitely keep an eye on that!

The kids really enjoyed our Monopoly day!  And we ended it before anyone got frustrated!  I have some not so great memories of Monopoly as a kid because my mom and brother were both ultra competitive and took it so seriously!  It usually ended with someone in tears.  But I loved the game, so I'm glad I'm able to rewrite that history.

#269 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM

There was an earring post on Jezebel that had many, many more horrifying details that I can't even link to because it was that icky. But worth a look.

RR: 5 decent miles, getting over a cold, so I went pretty slowly. Hoping for some pickup in speed as I get the chance to run more and as I can breathe more effectively.

Nic, great racing! smile.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#270 of 414 Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Yay, nic! clap.gif And yay, bec, for a great long run! Hopefully I can channel your mojo for my 8 miles tomorrow morning. orngbiggrin.gif

And just to clarify, the test that I semi-bombed was NOT the same one that I got a 95 on...I'm not quite THAT much of a perfectionist to complain about doing horribly on a test that I got a 95 on. lol.gif

I *was* going to do my second care plan today and get it done, but I decided to take a mental health day instead. bag.gif So, I slept in (9:30!!!! joy.gif), went for a run (5.5 miles nice and easy), took a quick break from relaxing to do some revisions on the care plan I turned in last night, then ran several errands and picked up a couple of movies from the redbox kiosk, which I am about to pop into the dvd player. Ahhh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page