how long after the birth did you wear your maternity clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ladies I'm just wondering when to bite the bullet and go out and buy clothes, esp pants, a few sizes larger than the ones in my closet hehe....  I'm 2 wks post partum, will my body change significantly over the next week or two or is this all the shrinking I can expect till I lose those baby pounds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM

I personally would give it a little bit more time.  A lot of women (though admittedly, not all) are still losing weight because of their bodies are rebalancing fluids like water and blood volume.  Unless your maternity clothes aren't fitting, I would give it another few weeks. 

But, take that with a grain of salt because I HATE shopping, especially for clothes for myself so I put it off until I couldn't stand having to hike up my maternity pants, and by then the biggest of my pre-pregnancy clothes were starting to fit. (Which I think was at 2 or three months postpartum? But I can't recall exactly).

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Personally, I can't stand to wear maternity clothes when I'm no longer pregnant. They just make me feel worse about myself. I went out to a chaep outlet store, and bought a few pair of capris, pants, shorts, and shirts. I mean, cheap ones. I knew I wouldn't be in them long, so I wasn't as picky as I normally would be. I just bought stuff that fit and looked decent. As I lost the weight, I would back to same store and buy a size smaller. It was worth it to me.

I did buy one pair of yoga pants with elastic waist that did fit all the way through until Iost the weight.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM

After my first pregnancy, I actually walked out of the hospital 50 pounds below my pre pregnancy weight due to HG, but the stretching and changes to my body meant that somethings just never did fit the same.  With DS2 I walked out of the hospital at the same weight I was pre pregnancy, and have lost 50 pounds since, but I still wouldn't romp around in some of my old clothes, simply because my body is not the same shape anymore. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I HATE shopping too, esp with a baby along!  I am sick of my maternity clothes but I have such a funny pot belly right now I seriously doubt normal clothes would look "normal" on me anyway. 

Sadly, the clothes I bought just after having DD do not come anywhere close to fitting this time round... I weigh the same but somehow the shape is different...

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM

I bought 2 pairs of black elastic waist yoga pants after my first son was born.  Straight legs and on the wide side which helped balance my belly shape with my legs.  I can dress them up or down depending on my shoes and top.  I wore them between kids, while pregnant in the early stages and after pregnancy.  The top has a lot of give but can easily be rolled/folded down under the belly if need be.  And of course the best part is that they are comfortable.  I still wear them now and then 8 years later for working out.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I refused to wear maternity clothes after I delivered.  I bought a few pairs of new sweatpants and some jeans at Target for cheap and just rotated between the three or four pairs of transitional pants I have.  It took me 13 months to loose the baby weight with my first and my old pants still fit funny so I ended up buying pretty much a whole in between wardrobe.

I'm 5 months pp with my second and I'm living in yoga pants, a decent pair of sweats and a $5 pair of Target jeans.

obstruct livery vehicles

User Tag List