HCG Phase 3 thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it might be good to have a thread just for phase 3 of HCG with recipe sharing and things like that, that those on phase 2 may not want to have to see all the time.

Some of my favorites:

This site has a ton including:

Cheesecake!  I did use almonds for the crust but don't use any powdered stevia (EVER) so I sweetened with liquid stevia

"Oopsie Rolls" which are like a bun - my friend said they were good and I look forward to trying them this time

The cookies we tried (peanut butter cookies and snickerdoodles) were not good, again I think because of the powdered stevia.  I also got erythritol this time to try for granulated sweetener which is supposed to be better.  I'll report back.

I'm going to be making flax crackers and onion bread in my dehydrator over the next couple of days.  Yum.  I read about seasoning the crackers with italian flavors, and topping with a tomato slice and melted mozzarella.  Sounds amazing.

Homemade ice cream - use stevia to sweeten, add fruit or cocoa or other flavorings. 

Homemade whipped cream - a little vanilla and sweetened with liquid stevia

LOVE these from weelicious.com - Spinach Ricotta Bites

I'm also going to be trying a chocolate cake b/c my son's bday is on Thursday.  I'll report back on that, too.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#2 of 53 Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Yum, the spinach ricotta bites look good!  I will try those very soon.  I am waiting until the weekend to incorporate cheese.

Today is my first day of p3 and my belly is all messed up.  This happened the last time too.  I need to figure out how to manage this, maybe enzymes?

#3 of 53 Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 AM

I'm not too worried about bread on P3-- I'm only going to be on it for 3 weeks and I've been w/o bready things for so long, I'm not really in a hurry. I like cocoa crack, though, a LOT yummy.gif Do you guys have recipes for that? There's a lot of them around. I just use cocoa powder, coconut oil, and flavored stevia, oh, and nuts, I think. It's been awhile since I've made it.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#4 of 53 Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

I found the cocoa crack to be too strong for my taste.  It definitely took away my chocolate craving in my first round but I didn't *like* it, really.

The cake I made last night was amazing. My son's 6th bday is tomorrow and he asked me to make that his bday cake.  My husband loved it. Everyone loved it.  Sugar-free, gluten-free, low carb. Replace the butter and it'd be dairy-free, too.  Who would have thought? :) :)

This recipe made 6 small chocolate cupcakes:

1/2 cup raw almonds or pecans, ground (or you can use almond meal)

3 T cocoa powder

pinch salt

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup erythritol - I bought Z-sweet from amazon

Mix the above well, then add:

2 T butter, melted

1 egg, beaten

1/4 tsp vanilla

2 T water as needed

Preheat oven to 350*.  Spoon into cupcake liners.  It's enough for 6 small, or about 4 regular cupcakes.  Bake about 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:

2 T cream cheese, softened

1 T cocoa powder

12-15 drops liquid stevia

milk or cream as needed to get the right texture

and a strawberry was the perfect topping :)

#5 of 53 Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

I like the cocoa crack.  That's the same recipe I use, just coconut oil and cocoa.  I eat it in phase 2 so I don't add any nuts.  I like it best drizzled over strawberries while it's still liquid, and then I pop the strawberries and chocolate in the freezer for a few minutes - OMG.  Divine!

Thank you, Lianne, for starting this thread.  :)  I am ALL over that chocolate cake and cream cheese icing!  :) 

#6 of 53 Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM

This sounds divine, and I copied it, but what is the unit of measure for the erythritol? 1/4 of what? winky.gif ETA: also, I wonder if you could use Xylitol. Don't they swap measure for measure? I've never used either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post

1/4 erythritol - I bought Z-sweet from amazon

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#7 of 53 Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, sorry, it's 1/4 cup. 

I expect you could use anything that measures cup for cup with sugar, as long as you like the taste.

#8 of 53 Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 PM

So, I am 5 days into P3 and stabilizing nicely.  Today I ate tofu, which is technically off protocol, so I am curious to see what if anything that does to me in the next few days.  It was my oldest daughters birthday, and my mom was here for the day, and I felt bad not eating from the restaurant my DD picked for her birthday dinner.  The good thing was that the tofu was the only "bad" thing... it was in a lovely fresh soup full of veggies.

I also tried to make hot chocolate tonight.  It was OK, but not great.  Better then my first attempt during my last round of P3!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#9 of 53 Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

mm hot chocolate :) what did you do?  Mine was good heating milk, adding cocoa, vanilla and stevia. Yum.

I started a blog about my P2 and P3 recipes - it's here if anyone is interested :) http://www.myhcgcooking.com

#10 of 53 Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View PostSo, I am 5 days into P3 and stabilizing nicely.  Today I ate tofu, which is technically off protocol, so I am curious to see what if anything that does to me in the next few days. 

Let us know! I love love love tofu, and I love tempeh, too, and beans...omg, I so miss beans. I miss my nommy vegetarian chili. I haven't yet experimented with dry beans on the protocol.

#11 of 53 Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post

mm hot chocolate :) what did you do?  Mine was good heating milk, adding cocoa, vanilla and stevia. Yum.

I started a blog about my P2 and P3 recipes - it's here if anyone is interested :) http://www.myhcgcooking.com

I did half&half with water to thin it, cocoa, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and vanilla creme stevia.  I think it wasn't chocolate-y enough or sweet enough.  I will try again tomorrow... like I said it was OK, I think with some trial and error it could be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View PostSo, I am 5 days into P3 and stabilizing nicely.  Today I ate tofu, which is technically off protocol, so I am curious to see what if anything that does to me in the next few days. 

Let us know! I love love love tofu, and I love tempeh, too, and beans...omg, I so miss beans. I miss my nommy vegetarian chili. I haven't yet experimented with dry beans on the protocol.

Well for what it's worth, the tofu did nothing to me via the scale.  It was a nice treat, as I've been eating a ton of eggs, yogurt, and cheese for my protein this past week (vegetarian).  I am a big fan of beans as well and really miss them!  I've made myself an awesome taco salad for dinner the past two nights and both times I thought how good some black beans would be on it.  And chili... don't get me started on chili.  I miss chili.

#12 of 53 Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View PostWell for what it's worth, the tofu did nothing to me via the scale.  It was a nice treat, as I've been eating a ton of eggs, yogurt, and cheese for my protein this past week (vegetarian).  I am a big fan of beans as well and really miss them!  I've made myself an awesome taco salad for dinner the past two nights and both times I thought how good some black beans would be on it.  And chili... don't get me started on chili.  I miss chili.

I know, right? I SO miss beans. I'm not veg, but I used to be, and I love veg food, and I make a killer vegetarian chili. I made for ds the other day a quesadilla with seasoned black beans/salsa mixed up together, then shredded cheese on top. He loved it. I so wanted some! I'm thinking, into P4 I might try a taco salad myself. Did you use tofu or beans on yours?

Today is VLCD1 w/o drops. One more day and then Wednesday starts P3.

#13 of 53 Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM

I make my taco salad with a seasoned raw "nut meat".  It's soaked walnuts (about 1/2c per serving) ground in the food processor with cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne.  Very, very tasty and really easy to make.  The rest of the salad was romaine, homemade salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, and a little bit of sour cream.  So good and totally on protocol for P3!

#14 of 53 Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh that sounds so good!  I'll have to try that with walnuts. Yum.  I miss beans too.

#15 of 53 Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Ooh there are SO many great ideas here!  I'm glad we have this thread. smile.gif

Lianne- Cool blog.

I'm on Round 2 P3 day 2.  I'm still keeping things really simple here.  Basically, I've added in proteins with fat and half & half (coffee with half & half was #1).  Oh, and the first night I had 2 glasses of red wine for a VERY special occasion.  I normally would not have done that, but it was worth it. thumb.gif  Other than that, I'm sticking to P2 compliant fruit and vegies.  I'll start adding other things in a couple of days.

Maiasaura likes this.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#16 of 53 Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Just had to share the yummy treat I made myself tonight!  I figured it was Valentine's Day and I deserved some chocolate... so I made myself a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.  Half&half, a frozen banana, 2T peanut butter, 3T cocoa powder, some ice cubes, and stevia.  So. Fleepin. Good.  I know peanut butter is not usually "allowed" on P3 since it's a legume, but I ate a bit in both my previous rounds with no issue.  This is my first time making the shake with half&half, normally I make it with the unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk.  I will admit, it was better with the half&half!

#17 of 53 Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View PostJust had to share the yummy treat I made myself tonight!  I figured it was Valentine's Day and I deserved some chocolate... so I made myself a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.  Half&half, a frozen banana, 2T peanut butter, 3T cocoa powder, some ice cubes, and stevia.  So. Fleepin. Good.  I know peanut butter is not usually "allowed" on P3 since it's a legume, but I ate a bit in both my previous rounds with no issue.  This is my first time making the shake with half&half, normally I make it with the unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk.  I will admit, it was better with the half&half!

Oh, that does sound yummy! I have almond butter...which is "more" compliant than peanut butter, isn't it? So yay, I am SO going to try that. Maybe next week. NOM!

#18 of 53 Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Yeah, almond butter is more on protocol then peanut butter.  I've made shakes in the past with almond butter, cocoa, frozen banana, milk, and coconut oil.  Can you say Almond Joy? winky.gif

Tonight I made cream of broccoli soup and topped it with cheddar cheese for dinner.  Very easy to make and pretty darn tasty.  I have leftovers for dinner tomorrow night too.

#19 of 53 Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

I transitioned to P3 eating on Saturday afternoon as my body just wasn't responding well anymore to P2.  Plus, I have a ton of different events over the next two weeks and this will make it a bit easier to eat.

I've actually lost a little over 2 lbs since my LDW.  I'm trying to eat enough but am struggling with finding food choices that aren't all dairy based.  So far, that seems to be the bulk of my calories.  I did find some Egg White Protein powder and put it in a cottage cheese smoothie this morning but goodness does it taste sweet!

I need to cook to be able to eat properly and this week has been insane and is just getting more insane as it goes so cooking is really the last thing on my mind!  Cheese is an easy chioce for me and I don't react to it negatively. 

For you veterans, what do you eat on P3 that is quick to prepare and doesn't include meat?  I'm not doing soy right now and I'm struggling with my usual meat replacement choices.

#20 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM

i do eat meat, but 1 of my favorites is scramble eggs in butter with salsa stirred in at the end.  add shredded cheddar, sour cream and guacamole.  it's quite the caloric punch.  i do wait 4-5 to add cheese, but that's just me.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#21 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View PostYeah, almond butter is more on protocol then peanut butter.  I've made shakes in the past with almond butter, cocoa, frozen banana, milk, and coconut oil.  Can you say Almond Joy? winky.gif

OMG, mama. NOM NOM NOM!! yummy.gif I am so going to try that. Maybe in P4, though. Bananas are not P3, IIRC. I love them, but I am going to be very sparing with them. How much coconut oil? I tried to make something cold with it last P3, if I remember, and the oil gets hard so quickly. How did you get it not to clump up, in a smoothie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Posti do eat meat, but 1 of my favorites is scramble eggs in butter with salsa stirred in at the end.  add shredded cheddar, sour cream and guacamole.  it's quite the caloric punch.  i do wait 4-5 to add cheese, but that's just me.

Oh, yeah, this is SO good. I haven't done it in P3 with all the extras. In P2, I sliced up tomatoes and "grilled" them in a nonstick pan with salt and Italian seasoning and garlic and a bit of water to keep them from sticking. Then pushed them to the sides and scrambled some egg in the middle (1 egg + 1/4c egg beaters), also with the same spices. Then a couple Tb of salsa on the eggs, folded in kind of, like an omelet. Some of the tomatoes ended up in the eggs, but it's all good. So yummy! Might try your recipe in P3, FR.

Today is Round 2, P3, Day 1. I am having a big mixed salad with feta and olive oil and vinegar. YUM!! And green peppers. I so missed those. And sprouts. And anything mixed lol.gif

I am actually down a pound from LDW, but I'm fine with that. I have technically another 1.2lbs I can go, lower, to be in range.

#22 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post

i do eat meat, but 1 of my favorites is scramble eggs in butter with salsa stirred in at the end.  add shredded cheddar, sour cream and guacamole.  it's quite the caloric punch.  i do wait 4-5 to add cheese, but that's just me.

This is one of my favorites!  Just ate it in fact... 3 scrambled eggs topped with sliced avocado, salsa, and sour cream.  It's so filling.  No cheese for me as I will be eating yogurt and cheese later today.  Trying not to do more then 2-3 servings of dairy in a day. 

#23 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

OMG, mama. NOM NOM NOM!! yummy.gifI am so going to try that. Maybe in P4, though. Bananas are not P3, IIRC. I love them, but I am going to be very sparing with them. How much coconut oil? I tried to make something cold with it last P3, if I remember, and the oil gets hard so quickly. How did you get it not to clump up, in a smoothie?

I've done bananas all three times now, again, no issue.  The browner they get the less starch there is in them (sugar/fructose increases but starch decreases) so I just use really ripe bananas.  I don't eat them every day, but a couple a week hasn't killed P3 for me yet.

The coconut oil works best in smoothies if you melt it first.  Which is a pain in the neck, but if you don't it doesn't mix up well.  Clumps of hard coconut oil are not very tasty!

#24 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM

I do have the scrambled egg feast in the morning which is delicious.  Sour cream and salsa make everything better but avocado and I have a hate hate relationship.  I'm a bit stumped as far as quick meals in the evening.  I guess I'm going to have to make time to cook some things in advance.

#25 of 53 Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM

I've decided to start on the drops again this morning and treat the past 5 days as an interruption.  I haven't gained anything (in fact I've lost some) but I feel so much better doing clean eating and I think I need to prepare more for P3 or else I'm going to ruin the past month's work in P2.  Have fun, ya'll! 

#26 of 53 Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Has anyone done fresh juices while on P3?  I haven't juiced in so long and am suddenly having a craving for a green lemonade.  I'm assuming that as long as all of the fruits and veggies I use are on protocol it would be OK.  My green lemonade recipe is an apple, a lemon, celery, cucumber, and parsley.  Thoughts?

#27 of 53 Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure.  haven't done it but given that it's mainly veggies it's worth a try.

you MELT your CO before making the smoothie?  You are a kitchen goddess.  I just dump it in the vitamix and blend vigorously before adding frozen stuff.  Having to wash an extra pan would mean no smoothie for me.  Is my laziness showing?  whistling.gif

#28 of 53 Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Ha!  Yes, if it's not already liquid do to seasonal warmth, I do melt it.  Mostly because I have issues with chunky solid bits of coconut oil... blech.  Even my Vitamix can't get them blended well enough sometimes.  Plus, for some reason I have a pretty strong gag reflex to coconut oil, especially when it's not liquid.  I don't necessarily heat it in a pan though, sometimes in a cup within a bowl of hot water from the tap can do the trick just fine.  So there ya go!

#29 of 53 Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

you're still fancy.

have you tried blending it with liquid before adding frozen stuff?  did we have this discussion?

#30 of 53 Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Yes, we have had that discussion!  If the coconut oil is semi-solid blending it with the liquid first befor adding the frozen stuff works OK.  But when it is SOLID, like right now, not so much.  Or at least not enough for my fancy self.winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page